PDA

View Full Version : Should the league make a change to the MVP voting?

JasonJohnHorn
05-06-2013, 03:41 PM
The players used to vote for the MVP, now the media votes for it. Judging from what some former players have to say, it's hard to suggest that they always know what is best.

There seems to be some controversy over LBJ not getting a unanimous selection as MVP. I don't think it's a big deal, but I think there should be some examination of the voting system.

I have not problem with the media voting, but I don't think they should be the only ones voting. I think the coaches should get to vote (assistant too) and players (at least anybody who averaged 20+ minutes a game if not everybody). And there should be a rule that nobody is allowed to vote for a teammate, that way there will never be issues about a player not getting a unanimous vote.

What are your thoughts?

Strumpy
05-06-2013, 04:05 PM
Although I believe that LeBron should have been unanimous, I too do not think it is that big of a deal. However, it was a big deal when it was reported that more than a few writers did not have Durant in the their top 5. Absolute nonsense.

I also feel like the MVP is sometimes given as a statement. The MVP awards given to Rose, Nash, Kobe, hell even LeBron's first MVP have all been questioned (Edit before this gets nasty: I'm not saying they didn't deserve the award/ deserve it at some point in their career, just the year that it was given to them).

I don't know what but something needs to be changed.

Minimal
05-06-2013, 04:22 PM
Media+Coaches(+Assistant) would be great.

But not players. Some of them are candidates so obviously they are gonna vote against someone they don't wish to win so they have a better chance to win themselves or their teammate etc. (example Westbrook voting for Durant). You really think someone from Pacers are gonna vote for LeBron? Not a chance.

JasonJohnHorn
05-06-2013, 05:27 PM
Media+Coaches(+Assistant) would be great.

But not players. Some of them are candidates so obviously they are gonna vote against someone they don't wish to win so they have a better chance to win themselves or their teammate etc. (example Westbrook voting for Durant). You really think someone from Pacers are gonna vote for LeBron? Not a chance.

That is why players and coaches would not be allowed to vote for guys they play with or coach.

JordansBulls
05-06-2013, 05:27 PM
It depends. for instance Baseball made a change which is why Ruth only has 1 mvp. When he should have as many as Bonds who has 7 MVP's. If you change the criteria, make it the same every year. Baseball seems to give it to the best hitter/player. So either be an elite star in the league and lead your team to the top record in your conference (Iverson 2001, Rose 2011) and you get MVP, or have the best numbers in the league and be MVP (guys who led in PER or WS or WS/PER 48 minutes or multiple of them and either scoring as well).

Hawkeye15
05-06-2013, 05:40 PM
I am not really for the players having much input. They have more biased than anyone, and seem to measure career accomplishments into their decisions when it has no business being there.

I like a mix of coaches and the media.

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-06-2013, 06:04 PM
The MVP and the MVP voting are a huge joke as of now. In over 50 combined years of Shaq, Kobe, and Hakeem playing they have a grand total of 3 MVPS. Fail.

Hawkeye15
05-06-2013, 06:09 PM
The MVP and the MVP voting are a huge joke as of now. In over 50 combined years of Shaq, Kobe, and Hakeem playing they have a grand total of 3 MVPS. Fail.

At least they have corrected it 4 of the past 5 years after having a rough stretch for part of the 1998-2008 period with the award. Steve Nash? Really?

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-06-2013, 06:17 PM
At least they have corrected it 4 of the past 5 years after having a rough stretch for part of the 1998-2008 period with the award. Steve Nash? Really?

Lebron deserved 3 out of 4 imo, Kobe should have 2-3. Oh well.

bucketss
05-06-2013, 06:20 PM

kobe doesn't even deserve the one he got,

bucketss
05-06-2013, 06:21 PM

LOL what years did kobe deserve mvp please tell?

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-06-2013, 06:33 PM
kobe doesn't even deserve the one he got,
Lol

LOL what years did kobe deserve mvp please tell?

06 for sure, possibly 07 and 09.

pedrofan45
05-06-2013, 06:39 PM
Lol

Kobe should have one MVP, not the one he already has but the one Steve Nash stole from him.

fingerbang
05-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Do what the NHL does with the Vezina. Have the general managers do it. Give them three votes each with a 1-2-3 point system.

bucketss
05-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Lol

tell me how think durant should be mvp this year because he didn't have as much help as lebron, but at the same time kobe deserved his mvp when cp3 1.put up better numbers 2. less help 3. only was a game behind lakers

lamzoka
05-07-2013, 12:50 PM
Kobe should've won it the year he score 81 pts, whatever year that was. ( im not sayin he should've won it bcuz he score 81 pts)
Nash didnt deserve back to back mvp.
rose def didnt deserve his mvp.

i would go for the combination of all 3.

BklynKnicks3
05-07-2013, 01:01 PM
If u have 3 all stars on a team you should be banned from mvp votes

JordansBulls
05-07-2013, 01:30 PM

Make it 3 franchise players that were the main star of a franchise for 5+ years and in there primes still then yes I agree.

BklynKnicks3
05-07-2013, 02:43 PM
I was never a fan of Jordan but i respect the hell out of him he did it 6 times and took no shortcuts getting there. This guy failed over and over then formed a all star team to win how can someone respect that. When the league is done making money of lebron the steroid reports will come out i can see it now. This guy is a human shortcut.

Hawkeye15
05-07-2013, 03:26 PM

LeBron should have 5. Kobe's one is actually right imo.

Hawkeye15
05-07-2013, 03:26 PM
Kobe should have one MVP, not the one he already has but the one Steve Nash stole from him.

exactly

Avenged
05-07-2013, 03:27 PM

Make it 3 franchise players that were the main star of a franchise for 5+ years and in there primes still then yes I agree.

Yep. With HCA.

Hawkeye15
05-07-2013, 03:27 PM
I was never a fan of Jordan but i respect the hell out of him he did it 6 times and took no shortcuts getting there. This guy failed over and over then formed a all star team to win how can someone respect that. When the league is done making money of lebron the steroid reports will come out i can see it now. This guy is a human shortcut.

did Lebron do something to a family member or something?

THE MTL
05-07-2013, 04:01 PM

How many did you expect Hakeem to win with Michael Jordan around?? Seriously?

And like many ppl already commented. Kobe deserved ONE MVP and not even the year he won it lol. Who's MVP award does Kobe deserves? Kobe wasnt the best player on his team until Shaq left so Im not arguing any MVP awards before 2005. So that leaves, Dirk's MVP or Steve Nash's second MVP (he damn sure deserved the first one). I didnt even include Rose or Lebron's cause those answers are obvious.

Same goes for Shaq. I dont know who's MVP he would take away. Prior to 2000, the award switched bask and forth from Karl Malone and Michael Jordan. Shaq aint touching them. And certainly not Tim Duncan's 2 MVPS (SHaq missed 16 games both those seasons he won it), and KG's gaudy stat line in 2004: 24ppg 14rpg 5apg 2bpg is one of the best seasons in basketball. And once 2005 hit, Shaq was clearly declining

BklynKnicks3
05-07-2013, 04:09 PM
He destroyed the sport i love to watch. Its almost like baring a miracle everyone just playing for 2nd place. The best player joins a all star team that is so corny to me. At first it seemed like everyone was against it. Now everyone is ok with it just because he won. How could he not win its embarssing how loaded that team is

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-07-2013, 04:12 PM
LeBron should have 5. Kobe's one is actually right imo.

Oh god, You're showing your immense love for Lebron/ hatred for Kobe again.

THE MTL
05-07-2013, 04:13 PM

Just so you know. Scottie Pippen is every bit as good as Dwayne Wade.

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-07-2013, 04:14 PM
How many did you expect Hakeem to win with Michael Jordan around?? Seriously?

And like many ppl already commented. Kobe deserved ONE MVP and not even the year he won it lol. Who's MVP award does Kobe deserves? Kobe wasnt the best player on his team until Shaq left so Im not arguing any MVP awards before 2005. So that leaves, Dirk's MVP or Steve Nash's second MVP (he damn sure deserved the first one). I didnt even include Rose or Lebron's cause those answers are obvious.

Same goes for Shaq. I dont know who's MVP he would take away. Prior to 2000, the award switched bask and forth from Karl Malone and Michael Jordan. Shaq aint touching them. And certainly not Tim Duncan's 2 MVPS (SHaq missed 16 games both those seasons he won it), and KG's gaudy stat line in 2004: 24ppg 14rpg 5apg 2bpg is one of the best seasons in basketball. And once 2005 hit, Shaq was clearly declining

Terrible post.

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-07-2013, 04:14 PM

Prime Wade? Lol

THE MTL
05-07-2013, 04:16 PM
Terrible post.

How is that a terrible post. I get you with facts. And thats how you respond? Actually I'm not surprised from a Kobe dick rider.

THE MTL
05-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Prime Wade? Lol

Watch basketball. Learn history. Seriously man. And thats not even a joke.

I guess you think Kobe is better than Jordan too right.

BklynKnicks3
05-07-2013, 04:19 PM
Pippen couldnt avg 35 in the finals if each one of his shots counted as 4 points. Pippen was great but he cant be a number 1 option wade can and was. Pippen is the perfect robin.

THE MTL
05-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Pippen couldnt avg 35 in the finals if each one of his shots counted as 4 points. Pippen was great but he cant be a number 1 option wade can and was. Pippen is the perfect robin.

I cant argue with Wade's brilliance in the finals. But Pippen was great without MJ. Leading his team to 3rd overall in the East, losing in 2nd round to the Knicks :) (who went onto the NBA Finals), as well as being selected to both the All-NBA 1st team and 1st Defensive team and finishing 3rd in MVP voting.

Also I question Wade's effectiveness if he played in the 90's with griddy, tough, physical basketball. Wade's game has everything to do with driving, penetrating (along with tons of foul calls) which he wouldnt have received back then. Also u think he's injury prone now? Oh man, he might he broke something if he played back then.

mngopher35
05-07-2013, 04:32 PM

I actually do agree that pippen was the perfect robin, especially because of the pressure he could take on the defensive end. If pippen is the perfect robin, and that is wade's current role then wouldn't that be saying pippen was better for jordan than wade for Lebron?

FYL_McVeezy
05-07-2013, 04:37 PM

It's true....he was better defensively whereas you have to give the offensive edge to Wade..

The counter argument to this is that Jordan didn't team up with Pippen to form a superteam when they were both in their primes....

Jordan and Pippen are both homegrown talents...

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-07-2013, 04:40 PM

You must be high if you think Pippen was better than Wade. Wade is the third greatest SG in league history and can carry a team to a ring, Pippen can't

ILLUSIONIST^248
05-07-2013, 04:41 PM

+1

BKLYNpigeon
05-07-2013, 04:50 PM
whats the big deal? the right person won the MVP, Lebron.

im glad theres parity in the Voting.

JoeBlessU
05-07-2013, 04:55 PM
I have never heard so much griping over 1 vote, people are acting like Melo won the award or something, he received 0.8% of the MVP votes and people just lose their mind. Get a F'ing life. Lebron lovers are just like Lebron..consistently complaining when there is nothing to complain about... "I only make 18 million this year..I didnt receive every MVP vote..Im being hit too hard during games".. what a big baby.. Maybe he should go get another "Im god" tattoo to soothe his aching ego...

DumDum
05-08-2013, 02:33 AM
Coaches only. smaller group , at this point the media looking to hand the MVP to anyone not named lebron but he play forces their hand

naps
05-08-2013, 02:56 AM
Yet another good thread thread is derailed by ILLUSIONIST^248 and BklynKnicks3 :rolleyes: Hey we get it already. Give it a rest.

On the topic, I think combining all the coaches with the media will be a great idea. I would hate to see the players as voters though.

kblo247
05-08-2013, 06:22 AM

Still burns me up he has 2 ... Kobe has 1, Shaq has 1, AI has 1, Kidd has 0, JO has 0, KG has 1 ... That will always be a really even though I know why he was voted

Hawkeye15
05-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Still burns me up he has 2 ... Kobe has 1, Shaq has 1, AI has 1, Kidd has 0, JO has 0, KG has 1 ... That will always be a really even though I know why he was voted

never got those picks. Shaq having one is a travesty honestly.

TheIlladelph16
05-08-2013, 01:06 PM
I have never heard so much griping over 1 vote, people are acting like Melo won the award or something, he received 0.8% of the MVP votes and people just lose their mind. Get a F'ing life. Lebron lovers are just like Lebron..consistently complaining when there is nothing to complain about... "I only make 18 million this year..I didnt receive every MVP vote..Im being hit too hard during games".. what a big baby.. Maybe he should go get another "Im god" tattoo to soothe his aching ego...

This is a thread discussing the idea of changing how the MVP vote is determined, so your post is less than relevant to the discussion. If you have nothing constructive to say that will add to that discussion, don't say it and go ***** about Lebron elsewhere.

To the topic at hand, I would like for a bigger mix of media and coaches making the decision, but adding coaches into the decision does raise the potential of conflict of interest in voting. I'm not sure there is necessarily a better way of doing it.

JoeBlessU
05-08-2013, 01:50 PM
This is a thread discussing the idea of changing how the MVP vote is determined, so your post is less than relevant to the discussion. If you have nothing constructive to say that will add to that discussion, don't say it and go ***** about Lebron elsewhere.

To the topic at hand, I would like for a bigger mix of media and coaches making the decision, but adding coaches into the decision does raise the potential of conflict of interest in voting. I'm not sure there is necessarily a better way of doing it.

The only reason there is a thread discussing it is because Lebron didnt get 1 vote and immediately ****ed about it. Has there ever been a discussion about this before lebron didnt cry about not getting every vote....
This is an open forum bro, anyone can post anything they like, dont read it if you cant handle the truth ya wuss.. If you just wanna S lebrons D on every topic, thats cool with me, I'm not gonna be a whiney B**ch about it like u.
The Voting system is fine.. I know this because the guy who was suppose to win..won..Discussion over

bucketss
05-08-2013, 01:55 PM
JoeBlessu still pmsing about lebron, what else is new.

JoeBlessU
05-08-2013, 02:03 PM
JoeBlessu still pmsing about lebron, what else is new.

PMS'ing or speaking the truth about "the chosen one" lol?..Sorry I didnt mean to insult your God ha

TheIlladelph16
05-08-2013, 02:58 PM
The only reason there is a thread discussing it is because Lebron didnt get 1 vote and immediately ****ed about it. Has there ever been a discussion about this before lebron didnt cry about not getting every vote....

Let's go over this point by point here starting with the bold:

1. Unless I'm missing something, where in the hell did Lebron ***** about not getting it unanimously?

2. The contention over the 1 vote is not the point of this thread, which you seem to be missing. It's simply a situation that is being referenced here to then move us into the actual discussion on how the MVP is voted for and what criteria is used. Your contention over something that has very little to actually do with this conversation is hilarious.

This is an open forum bro, anyone can post anything they like, dont read it if you cant handle the truth ya wuss.. If you just wanna S lebrons D on every topic, thats cool with me, I'm not gonna be a whiney B**ch about it like u.

Considering all anyone sees you do here is act like a "whiney B**ch", I say to you, "Hey Pot, my name's Kettle... Did you know you were black?"

And yes this is an open forum, so by all means say what you want, but don't be surprised when it ends in consistent bans, which has already happened to you, or you get called out for being a complete moron. People who actually enjoy intelligent conversation and debate, neither of which you have ever provided, will continue on around your nonsense.

The Voting system is fine.. I know this because the guy who was suppose to win..won..Discussion over

The bolded we can actually agree on.

Shlumpledink
05-08-2013, 03:13 PM
The media voting has been dumbed down so much it's easy to predict who they are picking to be mvp. It might as well just be automatic, the media as a whole doesn't put a lot of thought into the award. I think based on that fact we should be looking elsewhere to change, or at least expanding the vote.

JoeBlessU
05-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Let's go over this point by point here starting with the bold:

1. Unless I'm missing something, where in the hell did Lebron ***** about not getting it unanimously?

2. The contention over the 1 vote is not the point of this thread, which you seem to be missing. It's simply a situation that is being referenced here to then move us into the actual discussion on how the MVP is voted for and what criteria is used. Your contention over something that has very little to actually do with this conversation is hilarious.

Considering all anyone sees you do here is act like a "whiney B**ch", I say to you, "Hey Pot, my name's Kettle... Did you know you were black?"

And yes this is an open forum, so by all means say what you want, but don't be surprised when it ends in consistent bans, which has already happened to you, or you get called out for being a complete moron. People who actually enjoy intelligent conversation and debate, neither of which you have ever provided, will continue on around your nonsense.

The bolded we can actually agree on.

LOL..That was a really good post, proud of you. Altho I have never been banned, not once.. I will continue to talk *** about ur Lord and Savior, sorry its just too easy and fun getting idiots like you worked up..

I do think its funny that all I post is complete non-sense but you still choose to respond, ur effort to continue around my comments is feeble and weak..its sad how desperately you feel the need to defend a guy who considers himself a god and considers you a peasant

TheIlladelph16
05-08-2013, 04:26 PM
Talk **** all you want... your reputation has already been solidified on this site at this point. At least keep the discussion relatively on topic, otherwise your simply posting to derail a topic.

JoeBlessU
05-08-2013, 04:32 PM
Talk **** all you want... your reputation has already been solidified on this site at this point. At least keep the discussion relatively on topic, otherwise your simply posting to derail a topic.

OH NO!!!!... I am SO concerned about what random internet lebron d riding morons think about me..:sad2:..

Tony_Starks
05-08-2013, 04:46 PM
The media voting has been dumbed
down so much it's easy to predict who they are picking to be mvp. It might as well just be automatic, the media as a whole doesn't put a lot of thought into the award. I think based on that fact we should be looking elsewhere to change, or at least expanding the vote.

Pretty much. The media voting is basically a popularity contest. That's why everyone was so up in arms with the one writer not going with the flow and making it unanimous. Lebron should have won but I don't see the big deal in someone voting for another player.

I would give the voting to the players and coaches. The players are the ones actually going up against these guys on a regular, they should have some input...

pedrofan45
05-08-2013, 05:46 PM
Pretty much. The media voting is basically a popularity contest. That's why everyone was so up in arms with the one writer not going with the flow and making it unanimous. Lebron should have won but I don't see the big deal in someone voting for another player.

I would give the voting to the players and coaches. The players are the ones actually going up against these guys on a regular, they should have some input...

The players are the most biased people out there. But I do feel the coaches should be included with the media.

PleaseBeNice
05-08-2013, 06:05 PM
Terrible post.

You really need to re evaluate your reasoning and overall thinking when it comes to basketball. Your incredible Kobe bias blinds you from reality. Either choose to educate yourself properly or make your remarks seem less like you just hate for fun.