PDA

View Full Version : At what point did All-D Teams become a joke?

Chronz
05-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Just wondering, when did you start questioning the integrity of the award. Which year was most appalling to you?

TornadoOfSouls
05-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Just wondering, when did you start questioning the integrity of the award. Which year was most appalling to you?

Kobe making any Defensive team after 2003 made it a joke.

Also DPOY lost all credibility when Camby won it back in '07(lol - Nuggets weren't even a top ten defensive team)

zn23
05-04-2013, 07:12 PM
If Kobe manages to make either the first or second this year, it will be the most outrageous selection of all time.

The most appaling year imo. Was 2010-2011, when Kobe made the all-nba first team.

Kobe really stopped playing defense at the end of the 09-10 season. Before that he was playing some defense at least. But from 2011 and up, his defense has been so dreadful.

Shlumpledink
05-04-2013, 07:31 PM
About the same time as all the other awards

BigCityofDreams
05-04-2013, 07:32 PM
Lol not surprised ppl mentioned Kobe in the first few replies. Saw that coming a mile away smh

THE MTL
05-04-2013, 07:35 PM
Obviously when Kobe kept being placed on the defensive first team. But I really questioned the award, when Tyson Chandler won DPOY and then was placed on the All-NBA defensive second team. And now, its even worse with Marc Gasol not even making a defensive team.

LOOTERX9
05-04-2013, 07:51 PM
last year when tyson chandler won defensive player of year but did not make all defensive team

LOOTERX9
05-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Oh wow! Marc did not make any defensive team?!!! Hahaha!!!wtf?

TornadoOfSouls
05-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Lol not surprised ppl mentioned Kobe in the first few replies. Saw that coming a mile away smh

It's not hating when it's true. Most will freely admit that Kobe's one of the greatest offensive players of all-time but his defense has always been overrated...even in his "prime". I doubt Kobe was ever a top 5 perimeter defender at any given year during his NBA career.

DallasTrilla23
05-04-2013, 08:09 PM
Kobe has always been a good defender but his defense wasn't good enough to be top 5 among guards

BigCityofDreams
05-04-2013, 08:16 PM
It's not hating when it's true. Most will freely admit that Kobe's one of the greatest offensive players of all-time but his defense has always been overrated...even in his "prime". I doubt Kobe was ever a top 5 perimeter defender at any given year during his NBA career.

I agree he is a bum always has been

Bruno
05-04-2013, 08:18 PM
1995 w/ Dekembe.

JasonJohnHorn
05-04-2013, 08:18 PM
The thing is that big markets get more voters... it's just how it works... and the defensive teams guys vote for who they see play good defence, which is usually a guy (or guys) on the team they cover.

And defense is one of those things that doesn't show up in stats like scoring and rebounding and assists... so guys who get a lot of steals, who may not be good defenders, are regarded as good defenders because they get a lot of steals, where as they could gamble a lot and give guys three open shots for every steal they get...

defense is hard to vote for because NOBODY, even guys who cover the game, has time to really watch everybody, so guys go unnoticed, or they get in based on rep because people are filling out the ballot and don't know who else to put on besides the guys they watched a lot that season...

it is frustrating, but understandable at the same time... i dunno... deserving guys get left off All-Star teams and all-defensive teams and all-nba teams every season.

Puck017
05-04-2013, 08:33 PM
Many people believe in the old adage that the best defense is a good offense. Is this award given by the NBA or some other entity like the press?

TornadoOfSouls
05-04-2013, 08:43 PM
I agree he is a bum always has been

I never called him a bum. I clearly stated his defense has never been top-shelf. Why the hell do Kobe fans get so sensitive when he's described as a one-way player? Some of the all-time greats were one-way offensive players(Magic, Shaq, Bird)

BigCityofDreams
05-04-2013, 08:47 PM
I never called him a bum. I clearly stated his defense has never been top-shelf. Why the hell do Kobe fans get so sensitive when he's described as a one-way player? Some of the all-time greats were one-way offensive players(Magic, Shaq, Bird)

Because ppl go out of their way to crap on Kobe. He hasn't played good defense in a number of yrs due to him being past his prime. He shouldn't have been on those teams the last few seasons. I've seen him get ripped up on the defensive end to the point that it's laughable but fans of other teams make it seem like they just gave it to him because.

NYKalltheway
05-04-2013, 10:40 PM
It's just an 'award' to help overrate some superstars. I seriously started questioning the selections when Kobe was on the 1st selection in 09-10 and then 10-11.