PDA

View Full Version : Are injuries making the play-offs a lot less fun/competitive? (Melo's shoulder pop)

4milesperday
05-04-2013, 02:15 PM
What's your take on all this injuries and it's effect on the NBA play-offs?

I think it had an impact on the Clippers versus Grizzles series and Bulls versus Nets series with both favoring the latter teams. Some will argue that the Warriors versus Nuggets series will be different if Galo was playing because of his offensive skill-set and his ability to spread the floor. I saw it differently,both teams had injuries to key players and the Warriors were able to over-come theirs.

The Lakers would have been tougher to beat with a healthy Kobe, Nash and Howard.

The Shoulder pops and twists Carmelo Anthony has been experiencing over the past 2 games against the Celtics can put a twist on their match-up with the Pacers. What impact will an injury to Melo have on the series?

lol, please
05-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Yes. If Lee was healthy the Spurs would have no chance.

Blitzbolt
05-04-2013, 02:19 PM
It happens every year this time alot of stars/key players got injured so that's why is all over the news.

SMH!
05-04-2013, 02:22 PM

lol

Clippersfan86
05-04-2013, 02:35 PM
Not even news worthy. Of course so many injuries to stars on playoff teams has an impact. As you said the Warriors/Nuggets deal is pretty much a wash.

LAKobeBryant
05-04-2013, 02:37 PM

That's a big statement for a team that lost 29 straight at Spurs HC :laugh:

slaker619
05-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Yea, all the games would be more competitive and the results, so far wouldn't have happened !

pedrofan45
05-04-2013, 02:41 PM
Lee, Kobe, Westbrook, Rondo, Rose :(

topdog
05-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Injuries are a part of sports. Btw, you just going to ignore that the Pacers have been without Granger all year? One could argue that injuries actually make the playoffs more interesting because they are unexpected and can dramatically change the dynamic of a series and the entire playoffs themselves i.e. Westbrook going down.

Hawkeye15
05-04-2013, 02:48 PM
as a Wolves fan, I can't even stomach the term injuries any more this year.

RaiderLakersA's
05-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Injuries suck, but they are part and parcel to sports. The best that you can do is hope that when someone gets injured that it isn't serious and it happens early in the year. With the talent level as diffuse as it is, all it takes is an injury to a key player and your team is done.

Hawkeye15
05-04-2013, 03:01 PM
Injuries suck, but they are part and parcel to sports. The best that you can do is hope that when someone gets injured that it isn't serious and it happens early in the year. With the talent level as diffuse as it is, all it takes is an injury to a key player and your team is done.

good point. How many times have we seen a team that went through the normal injuries get healthy at the right time, and make a postseason run? Timing is everything.

TeamSeattle
05-04-2013, 03:03 PM
good point. How many times have we seen a team that went through the normal injuries get healthy at the right time, and make a postseason run? Timing is everything.

A healthy Wolves team in the playoffs would of been exciting to see.

4milesperday
05-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Injuries are a part of sports. Btw, you just going to ignore that the Pacers have been without Granger all year? One could argue that injuries actually make the playoffs more interesting because they are unexpected and can dramatically change the dynamic of a series and the entire playoffs themselves i.e. Westbrook going down.

Didn't the team get better or atleast remained same without him?

Hawkeye15
05-04-2013, 03:16 PM
A healthy Wolves team in the playoffs would of been exciting to see.

shoot, a healthy Wolves team at any single point of this season would have been nice to see

xxplayerxx23
05-04-2013, 03:36 PM

:laugh: your the biggest homer on the site.

topdog
05-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Didn't the team get better or atleast remained same without him?

The team got worse offensively, better defensively and their overall winning percentage dropped. The real question is: shouldn't they be better with him? Indiana is a young and improving team, so saying that they are similar to last year means that they aren't hurt by the injury to their star player is silly.

NYSpirit1
05-04-2013, 05:33 PM
I agree it does kind of ruin it. The NBA season should be 60 games and all playoff series should be five games each.

But the NBA will never allow it because of money. But they would make it up with fully healthy teams.

JasonJohnHorn
05-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Lee out for the Warriors. Blake Griffin out for the Clippers. Kobe out for the Lakers. Granger out for the Pacers. Rondo out for the Celtics and Rose out for the Bulls. Yeah. That is a lot of talent missing the playoffs. This is one of the worst seasons for injuries I've seen. I thought last year was bad with Dwight and Rose both out and leaving the East wide open for the Heat.

Bruno
05-04-2013, 07:07 PM
of course they are. this is possibly the most disappointing playoff in league history in terms of competition being destroyed by injuries. all post-seasons are marred by injury, but I've never seen it on such a large scale with so many superstars in my 15 years as an NBA fan.

rex.reyesiii
05-04-2013, 07:15 PM
If Wade didn't have that Knee ... err uhm "injury". :)

TornadoOfSouls
05-04-2013, 07:35 PM
Lee out for the Warriors. Blake Griffin out for the Clippers. Kobe out for the Lakers. Granger out for the Pacers. Rondo out for the Celtics and Rose out for the Bulls. Yeah. That is a lot of talent missing the playoffs. This is one of the worst seasons for injuries I've seen. I thought last year was bad with Dwight and Rose both out and leaving the East wide open for the Heat.

Rondo's injury was a surprise, sure. Lee and Blake too. Westbrook was the one that really stunned me. He's been an ironman his whole career. Injury came out of nowhere.

-I could see Kobe's injury a mile away though(someone that's 35 shouldn't be playing 40 mins a night)
-Granger's been a non-factor for a while now. Not really relevant.
-Rose has been cleared to play for a while now. He's a mental midget.

Missing56&33
05-04-2013, 08:40 PM
Aside from the Lakers-Spurs series they're all competitive IMO. We all missed Kobe being out.

TornadoOfSouls
05-04-2013, 08:46 PM
Aside from the Lakers-Spurs series they're all competitive IMO. We all missed Kobe being out.

Heat-Bucks wasn't competitive either. What's funny is that a Jennings injury might have improved that team.

Missing56&33
05-04-2013, 08:53 PM
I agree it does kind of ruin it. The NBA season should be 60 games and all playoff series should be five games each.

But the NBA will never allow it because of money. But they would make it up with fully healthy teams.

Yeah, change the entire format because today's NBA players are soft and overpaid. Back in the day player's worked harder, trained smarter, had better diets and valued $1mil a lot more....contracts wasn't guaranteed back then so player's played with a little pain ....pretty sure Willis Reed's injury would have sidelined today's big man for the playoffs.

Missing56&33
05-04-2013, 09:00 PM
Heat-Bucks wasn't competitive either. What's funny is that a Jennings injury might have improved that team.

yeah, but the Bucks was just awful, they were the 8th seed by default....they played well for 3 qtrs until they realized they was still in the game, then got back to being the Bucks.

--23--
05-04-2013, 09:23 PM
as a Wolves fan, I can't even stomach the term injuries any more this year.

As a Bulls fan I feel the same way man.

mngopher35
05-04-2013, 09:36 PM
Rose, Westbrook, Kobe, Granger, Gallo, Lee, Griffin, Rondo. That's a very good player from half of the playoff teams that are injured. Injuries happen, but this year seems a bit excessive.

ChitownBears22
05-04-2013, 09:40 PM
Yeah this is the first time I have ever seen injuries in the NBA.

ChitownBears22
05-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Rose(acl), Shumpert(acl), Amare(hand), Baron(knee), Noah(ankle), Lin, Howard(back), Horford(knee)

That was last year.

LAKobeBryant
05-04-2013, 09:57 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/dr/nba/teamsites-nbateams/release/lakers/sites/lakers/files/content/images-gallery/2013/05/2013season_infographic_large1.jpg

MR.TRIPDUB
05-04-2013, 10:19 PM
What makes it less fun is that the best team is probably the healthiest.
Really hoping for a heat vs grizz matchup!

CubsBullsBucs
05-04-2013, 10:22 PM
Maaarrrcooooo

Hawkeye15
05-04-2013, 11:11 PM
As a Bulls fan I feel the same way man.

To be fair, the Wolves lost a **** load more games than you guys to injuries. It wasn't just our franchise guy, it was EVERYONE dude, except Luke freakin Ridnour and Williams. Of course our non-essential guys stay rock healthy...

Sadds The Gr8
05-04-2013, 11:19 PM
Yea these playoffs are completely ruined. Only series I'm intrigued by now is SAS and GSW.

--23--
05-04-2013, 11:47 PM
To be fair, the Wolves lost a **** load more games than you guys to injuries. It wasn't just our franchise guy, it was EVERYONE dude, except Luke freakin Ridnour and Williams. Of course our non-essential guys stay rock healthy...

Trust me I know all the injuries the T-Wolves dealt with. I meant it as us Bulls fans have been dealing with a bulk of injuries our self's, with the exception of Boozer, Nate and Jimmy.

ChitownBears22
05-05-2013, 12:16 AM
Yea these playoffs are completely ruined. Only series I'm intrigued by now is SAS and GSW.

You realize this happens literally every year, right. Dwight and Rose last year was more significant than Kobe and Westbrook this year. The Lakers this year weren't going anywhere even with Kobe. Westbrook getting hurt sucks but Durant with Ibaka and Martin should still do damage. Rose for this year I don't count since he was supposed to never play, so how does that really impact the year. Dwight and Rose last year were on contending teams until they were injured.

RaiderLakersA's
05-05-2013, 01:15 AM

I'm surprised no one has started a thread yet: "If all of the injured players from playoff teams were healthy and on the same team, could they win the title this year?"

mngopher35
05-05-2013, 01:16 AM
You realize this happens literally every year, right. Dwight and Rose last year was more significant than Kobe and Westbrook this year. The Lakers this year weren't going anywhere even with Kobe. Westbrook getting hurt sucks but Durant with Ibaka and Martin should still do damage. Rose for this year I don't count since he was supposed to never play, so how does that really impact the year. Dwight and Rose last year were on contending teams until they were injured.

While I agree injuries happen every year, not always quite to this extent. This year's injuries have been pretty impactful as well. Last year everyone made a big deal as well, blaming the lockout. This year there are even more than last year.

Rose(acl), Shumpert(acl), Amare(hand), Baron(knee), Noah(ankle), Lin, Howard(back), Horford(knee)

That was last year.

Rose is injured for this year as well, and the bulls have had plenty of issues even with noah not 100% to start (deng and kirk especially). Amare is out again as well. Lin missed part of the rockets series too. Baron isn't on the level of any main injuries this year. Shump, Dwight, Horford are what's left.

Compare that to Kobe, Westbrook, Granger, Gallo, Lee, Rondo, Griffin (along with the ones listed above injured both years). It seems a lot worse this year and people even complained last year. The impact these players had for their teams is also huge. Yes injuries happen every year, but this year seems to be taking a few more big names than normal.

EDIT: Let me try it by teams that lost a major contributor.
2012: Bulls, Hawks, Orlando, Knicks.
2013: Thunder, Clippers, Nuggets, Golden State, Boston, Bulls, Pacers, Lakers

Sadds The Gr8
05-05-2013, 02:02 AM

Granger healthy would've made the IND/NYK series more interesting. Also Rondo healthy would've made the BOS/NYK series more interesting. There are obviously injuries every year but not to this extent.

Kevj77
05-05-2013, 03:02 AM
Rose, Westbrook, Kobe, Granger, Gallo, Lee, Griffin, Rondo. That's a very good player from half of the playoff teams that are injured. Injuries happen, but this year seems a bit excessive.Imagine if all the injured players were a team and healthy.

A team with a starting 5

C Lee
PF Griffin
SF Gallo
SG Westbrook
PF Rose

Bench Granger, Kobe, Rondo.

That team could win an NBA championship. I haven't been watching what happened to Griffin? Injuries always happen, but that is a lot of talent on the disabled list. Most I can remember in any single playoffs.