PDA

View Full Version : Flip Saunders to become Wolves President by Friday

LayBraun
05-02-2013, 03:41 PM
@APkrawczynski: AP Sources: Glen Taylor is not picking up David Kahn's option and is finalizing a deal to make Flip Saunders #TWolves new president.

Thank god. About time.

LeonFSU
05-02-2013, 04:05 PM
Does flip have any experience in a front office?

Sota4Ever
05-02-2013, 04:06 PM
Absolutely terrible.

spreadeagle
05-02-2013, 04:07 PM
don't like that move, never been a fan of Flip

slaker619
05-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Bad move imo, but will see !

JoeBlessU
05-02-2013, 04:14 PM
Absolutely terrible.

Its hard to get worse than David Kahn.. I am all for this move... Lets hope he trades K-Love

Hawkeye15
05-02-2013, 04:51 PM
anything is better than Kahn (I think), but I am still weary of Flip being hired. Not sure why they don't hire someone who is more analytical and a better evaluator.

John Walls Era
05-02-2013, 04:59 PM
So they go from 'terrible' to just as 'bad'. Lateral move at best.

CubsBullsBucs
05-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Its hard to get worse than David Kahn.. I am all for this move... Lets hope he trades K-Love

im assuming ur a t wolve fan. why u want K Love traded?? :/

Hawkeye15
05-02-2013, 05:41 PM
im assuming ur a t wolve fan. why u want K Love traded?? :/

Some of the Wolves fans (I don't agree with a single one of them) are still butt hurt that Love made the comments he made prior to the season (in which he was right, just horrible timing Love, cmon), and then breaks his hand, twice, and can't play. They are looking for someone to pin things on. May as well be the a-hole star who made accurate comments at a bad time, to the wrong person, and think the team should trade Love, and build around Rubio. I love me some Rubio, but cmon.

La11
05-02-2013, 05:59 PM
revolving door for idiots in Minny.

mngopher35
05-02-2013, 06:09 PM
I hope I am proven wrong but this doesn't even seem like an upgrade to me (not that it's a downgrade either). On the upside now there might be a little bit of hope we have a good draft...

topdog
05-03-2013, 12:19 AM
Henry Abott has a nice article about Kahn as GM: http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/57197/when-we-criticize-david-kahn

Interesting read imo.

John Walls Era
05-03-2013, 01:41 AM
Henry Abott has a nice article about Kahn as GM: http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/57197/when-we-criticize-david-kahn

Interesting read imo.

Pick any team and i can write a half-*** analysis like that.

He mentions Pekovic, Ak47, Rubio, Dante Cunningham and Alexey Shved as pieces that we should give Kahn credit for. I'll give him Pekovic, that was actually a great find. But AK47 is an elite defender and long, efficient offensive player? Ok maybe you can sell it, but for $20 million??? Its time to fire Abbott when he thinks Dante and Alexey Shved are considered talents (then again, these 2 were Kahn's best players acquired).

"The Timberwolves have middling salaries now, and among the league's lowest payroll moving forward."

Yup when the team isn't winning, it would be a problem if they had a high payroll. Usually payroll correlates with winning (not always, just usually).

Almost every other team he mentions is in a better place than the Wolves and that 100% falls on Kahn. Kahn is a terrible GM and hes right there as the worst GM in the league (fix that: not anymore because he got rightfully fired).

Hawkeye15
05-03-2013, 06:52 AM

He mentions Pekovic, Ak47, Rubio, Dante Cunningham and Alexey Shved as pieces that we should give Kahn credit for. I'll give him Pekovic, that was actually a great find. But AK47 is an elite defender and long, efficient offensive player? Ok maybe you can sell it, but for $20 million??? Its time to fire Abbott when he thinks Dante and Alexey Shved are considered talents (then again, these 2 were Kahn's best players acquired).

"The Timberwolves have middling salaries now, and among the league's lowest payroll moving forward."

Yup when the team isn't winning, it would be a problem if they had a high payroll. Usually payroll correlates with winning (not always, just usually).

Almost every other team he mentions is in a better place than the Wolves and that 100% falls on Kahn. Kahn is a terrible GM and hes right there as the worst GM in the league (fix that: not anymore because he got rightfully fired).

McHale drafted Pekovic, Kahn simply signed him.

John Walls Era
05-03-2013, 10:13 AM
McHale drafted Pekovic, Kahn simply signed him.

hes so bad... his great move wasn't actually his.

JiffyMix88
05-03-2013, 10:24 AM
LMAO get rid of Kahn to bring in a guy I personally think does meth/crack I mean have you seen his spazzing/actions on the sideline during games recently? Has the characteristics of jugg...seriously

topdog
05-03-2013, 12:55 PM

The article was not so much about the "analysis" but rather an insight about the man himself.

Kahn's done okay. He took a lot of low risk/high reward players and gave them a chance and they didn't work out. As far as value, Kahn got the 5th pick to get Rubio; he supposedly (at the time) "overpaid" to get Pek to come over, he convinced Rick Adelman to take on the team, AK was valued enough for teams to come calling at the trade deadline and, yes, Cunningham and Shved do both have value... at least if you watching opposing teams' broadcasts you would think so. Kahn's not great but the criticism is overblown.

The payroll thing is a bit silly especially when you consider a Pek extension coming; but, again, that's not why I thought it was an interesting article.

Are the Suns in a better place than the Wolves? What about the Bobcats who seem to completely lack talent? How about the Kings who have a ton of talent but no direction? Calling Kahnn the worst just doesn't add up imo.

John Walls Era
05-03-2013, 01:03 PM
The article was not so much about the "analysis" but rather an insight about the man himself.

Kahn's done okay. He took a lot of low risk/high reward players and gave them a chance and they didn't work out. As far as value, Kahn got the 5th pick to get Rubio; he supposedly (at the time) "overpaid" to get Pek to come over, he convinced Rick Adelman to take on the team, AK was valued enough for teams to come calling at the trade deadline and, yes, Cunningham and Shved do both have value... at least if you watching opposing teams' broadcasts you would think so. Kahn's not great but the criticism is overblown.

The payroll thing is a bit silly especially when you consider a Pek extension coming; but, again, that's not why I thought it was an interesting article.

Are the Suns in a better place than the Wolves? What about the Bobcats who seem to completely lack talent? How about the Kings who have a ton of talent but no direction? Calling Kahnn the worst just doesn't add up imo.

Suns are probably the only team that is in a worse place than the Wolves, but thats because Nash left and also their owner is a cheap tool. Bobcats probably have better pieces (piece for piece, not collective) than the Wolves. Kings have talent and are probably around the same place as the Wolves in terms of success, but talent is an important commodity.

Becks2307
05-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Has Flip Saunders ever been successful?

Hawkeye15
05-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Suns are probably the only team that is in a worse place than the Wolves, but thats because Nash left and also their owner is a cheap tool. Bobcats probably have better pieces (piece for piece, not collective) than the Wolves. Kings have talent and are probably around the same place as the Wolves in terms of success, but talent is an important commodity.

now you are reaching dude. A healthy Wolves team is winning 45-50 games this year, with 8 of their core players 26 or under, Pek at 27, and while I know you have zero respect for Rubio, he is better than you give him credit for. There are plenty of teams worse off than the Wolves going forward dude. Plenty.

Kahn positioned the team for the playoffs, but my problem with him is, with ALLLL those 1st rounders, lottery picks, and money he created, along with inheriting his frontcourt, we shouldn't be just positioned for the playoffs, we should be positioned for HCA type teams for the next 5 years.

mgsports
05-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Could have been Seattle or St. Louis Timberwolves down the line.

xabial
05-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Really good read on one of the NBA's most unorthodox GM's.

The team tumbled out of the playoff picture, but hopes were high at the start of this season when Kahn added Andrei Kirilenko, Chase Budinger, Alexey Shved and Dante Cunningham to the mix. Then Love broke his hand just before the regular season started and broke it again in January, limiting the Olympian to 18 games for the season. Rubio returned from his knee injury in mid-December but didn't regain his old form until February, Budinger missed more than three months with a knee injury and Kahn's gamble on Brandon Roy proved to be ill-fated. Kirilenko, Nikola Pekovic and J.J. Barea also missed stretches because of injuries, and the Wolves finished 31-51.

Most of Kahn's biggest missteps came in the draft. He chose Jonny Flynn over Stephen Curry in 2009 with the sixth overall pick, traded a pick that Denver used to take Ty Lawson and chose swingman Wesley Johnson fourth overall in 2010. Only two of the 10 draft picks the Timberwolves made in his four years -- Rubio and 2011 No. 2 overall pick Derrick Williams -- are on the roster.

Read more at: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9236287/david-kahn-president-basketball-operations-minnesota-timberwolves