PDA

View Full Version : Scott Brooks taking "Hack Asik" too far?

Quinnsanity
05-02-2013, 12:16 AM
To those of you not watching the OKC-Rockets game, Scott Brooks pulled what I think has to be the most classless stunt I've ever seen from a coach in a professional basketball game. Every time Houston touched the ball, a Thunder player would immediately go foul Omer Asik and make him shoot free throws. Literally, immediately. The ball would be inbounded and we'd hear a whistle. And he did this in the middle of the fourth quarter for a long stretch. I mean... seriously? You're a ****ing 1 seed. Have a little class. I could see Stern fining them for this. I mean, if benching the Spurs players was insulting to the fans, shouldn't this be on a smaller scale? It's complete BS.

alexander_37
05-02-2013, 12:16 AM
Jared Dubin ‏@JADubin5 1m
7 points on 6 possessions of Hack-Asik so far is 1.17 PPP. Would have been the best offense in the league this year.

ThaDubs
05-02-2013, 12:17 AM
Hack-A-sik

John Walls Era
05-02-2013, 12:24 AM
If you really buy into the kind of strategy, you can't just foul him once and if he goes 2/2 you stop. He had to continue because you know that long term, Asik will shoot 50%. Unfortunately it could've cost them the game.

TeamSeattle
05-02-2013, 12:26 AM
It was classless once Asik started making them. Common sense says to stop if the strategy isn't working.

Guppyfighter
05-02-2013, 12:27 AM
It was classless once Asik started making them. Common sense says to stop if the strategy isn't working.

Not classless, stupid.

enitialdee
05-02-2013, 12:29 AM
I know it's within the rule, but dam that was pathetic..

Avenged
05-02-2013, 12:32 AM
It happens. Asik is not the 1st player it happens to. Heck the Rockets themselves did that to the Lakers (Dwight) this season..

Pop always does this when given the chance as well. It's not about having class, it's about winning.. Is it a bit weird seeing an elite team like the Thunder doing it? Yes, and desperate.. But it's not against the rules, so..

torocan
05-02-2013, 12:35 AM
It happens. Asik is not the 1st player it happens to. Heck the Rockets themselves did that to the Lakers (Dwight) this season..

Pop always does this when given the chance as well. It's not about having class, it's about winning.. Is it a bit weird seeing an elite team like the Thunder doing it? Yes, and desperate.. But it's not against the rules, so..

This.

It's one thing to see a team hacking a team when you're an underdog. It's a desperation move.

It's another thing to see a presumptive Championship contender team doing it to the 8th seed. Talk about confidence in your team. :p

If OKC loses this series, I don't think they'll ever live it down.

ragee
05-02-2013, 12:35 AM
How is it classless? The coach 's job is to formulate a strategy that will help his team win... If that means fouling someone to make him shoot free throws then what's wrong with that?
I remember the Mavs did this to Bowen a few years back...

BALLER R
05-02-2013, 12:36 AM
Worst part about it is that their a #1 seed.

Mudvayne91
05-02-2013, 12:36 AM
perverts

BALLER R
05-02-2013, 12:37 AM
Could Brooks be gone if OKC don't make it to the finals. I can't see this team getting past the spurs or Grizzlies to be honest.

LAKERS 24/7
05-02-2013, 12:37 AM
you can debate whether or not its a good strategy, but class has nothing to do with it.

*Superman*
05-02-2013, 12:39 AM
I'm glad he made most of his FT's. It's a shame when teams do that. Smart tactic when it works but I hate seeing games slowed down like that.

Avenged
05-02-2013, 12:41 AM
Could Brooks be gone if OKC don't make it to the finals. I can't see this team getting past the spurs or Grizzlies to be honest.

Nah, and it wouldn't be fair IF that's the only reason why they would get rid of him.. They lost Westbrook.. His "lack" of impact on the team was obviously exaggerated. He's like the heart of the team, while KD is the soul.

.. if that makes sense.. :confused: lol

ThunderousDemon
05-02-2013, 12:52 AM
Nah, and it wouldn't be fair IF that's the only reason why they would get rid of him.. They lost Westbrook.. His "lack" of impact on the team was obviously exaggerated. He's like the heart of the team, while KD is the soul.

.. if that makes sense.. :confused: lol

What is a soul?

ThunderousDemon
05-02-2013, 12:54 AM
Westbrook is the body and KD is a ghost without a body, yep, makes sense.:hi5:

Quinnsanity
05-02-2013, 12:55 AM
Honestly I think Brooks should be gone regardless. The fact that he has stubbornly refused to accept OKC's small ball destiny is completely perplexing, and I have no clue why he didn't try switching to a zone defense in the finals against Miami last year when that's basically how Dallas beat them. I just don't think he's a good coach. Still, I hope this game serves as a wakeup call for everyone on the team not named Kevin Durant that they have to get their ****ing acts together.

junion
05-02-2013, 12:55 AM
Sports stretegy: play to your strengths, and your opponents' weaknesses. If your PG is 6'4", and the opponent's PG is 5'11" - you play to their weakness - a small PG and post him up. If you know their PF is playing with an injured ankle, you get your players to try to take them off the dribble. If you know the PG always goes right, you make him go left. If their C can't do something as fundamental as make free throws, then you go after that. Solution: make your free throws - it's within the limits of the game.

Classless is when opposing players try to "accidentally" hit the opponent's shoulder when they know it's injured - that's not within the limits of the game.

Avenged
05-02-2013, 12:56 AM
What is a soul?

Beats me! an expression :laugh2:

.. the knicks are back ..

Raps18-19 Champ
05-02-2013, 12:58 AM

This.

ThunderousDemon
05-02-2013, 12:58 AM
Beats me! an expression :laugh2:

.. the knicks are back ..

The
Knicks
are
back!

Sadds The Gr8
05-02-2013, 12:59 AM
If you really buy into the kind of strategy, you can't just foul him once and if he goes 2/2 you stop. He had to continue because you know that long term, Asik will shoot 50%. Unfortunately it could've cost them the game.

I think randomly doing it is stupid. Coaches should look at how bad he's been shooting throughout the game, and if he's shooting terrible then do it. Don't do it when he's on a roll shooting the ball...

sunsfan88
05-02-2013, 01:06 AM
Lol you think that was claSsless? Go check out the 08 playoffs tape of the Suns vs Spurs.

"Great" coach Popovich knew that he had nothing that could stop Nash so he purposely fouled Shaq EVERY DAMN possession in the 4th quarter when the Suns had the ball. Unlike Asik, Shaq couldn't hit s**t.

astrosmaniac
05-02-2013, 02:17 AM
it wasn't classless and it worked for a little bit. The stupid thing was to continue to do it after they had cut the lead to 6 points with 3:30 to go

jam
05-02-2013, 02:27 AM
Scottie Brooks is a complete idiot.

TornadoOfSouls
05-02-2013, 04:38 AM
Lol you think that was claSsless? Go check out the 08 playoffs tape of the Suns vs Spurs.

"Great" coach Popovich knew that he had nothing that could stop Nash so he purposely fouled Shaq EVERY DAMN possession in the 4th quarter when the Suns had the ball. Unlike Asik, Shaq couldn't hit s**t.

lol at "he had nothing that could stop Nash". Spurs have eliminated Nash from the playoffs, what, five or six time? It's become an old routine for them.

And what Pop did was actually one of the few times the Hack-a-Shaq has been employed successfully. Hack-a-Shaq hardly ever works when your team is down. Pop was fouling in order to build a larger lead.

And every team has probably experienced some version of the Hack-a-Shaq by now. Don Nelson did it to the Spurs in the early 2000s in the form of a Hack-a-Bowen. Scoot Brook tried Hack-a-Splitter on SA last year too, The former didn't really work but the latter was effective. To Splitter's credit, he actually improved his FT shooting to avoid tactics like this being used. If other players did the same, we'd probably see less of it in the NBA.

rollins94
05-02-2013, 05:08 AM
Dont see anything wrong with this in a competitive sense, more like it was strategy that didnt work out for them. I dont get all the "they are a 1 seed" comments because without westbrook their talent level is a lot less than that. Do what you think helps you win games, and as stated above there is a reason Pop does it and hes on of the best of the current era. Rockets are feisty!

MarkieMark48
05-02-2013, 08:25 AM
I hate people that complain about this...

you know how to stop it? Either be a better free throw shooter or take that person out the game like the Clips do with Jordan in the 4th quarter.

Its a shame they are even considering a rule change because of this.

GrumpyOldMan
05-02-2013, 08:42 AM
I don't have a big issue with the strategy standpoint, but it really kills the entertainment value and flow of the game. I could see the NBA eventually going with something like FIBA has in place where if there is an intentional foul like this away from the ball the player gets 2 freethrows and his team maintains possession. I do understand the strategy behind this and I think it is a smart tactic at times. I just think pro sports in North America are aiming more and more to the entertainment aspect all the time. A rule change will happen eventually.

JDMVP
05-02-2013, 08:56 AM
It was a stupid. the fact when he was making them he shoulda stoped i mean, it wasent like Asik was gonna either make 1 or both and then they automatically score.

ewing
05-02-2013, 09:00 AM
not Scottie Brooks fault that he can't shoot

Gators123
05-02-2013, 09:22 AM
Its annoying, but hes allowed to do it, so why not?

It obviously didn't work though lol

kdspurman
05-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Does it seem like Durant wasn't thrilled about it either?

"We was on our way back, and then also the hack-a-whatever-his-name-is," Durant said, forgetting Asik's name, "it kind of slowed the rhythm down a little bit."

blahblahyoutoo
05-02-2013, 10:07 AM
Does it seem like Durant wasn't thrilled about it either?

"We was on our way back, and then also the hack-a-whatever-his-name-is," Durant said, forgetting Asik's name, "it kind of slowed the rhythm down a little bit."

How come nba players don't use proper grammar? Didn't they graduate high school and pass freshman year in college?

ManningToTyree
05-02-2013, 10:21 AM
I hate this strategy. They should make it a technical so teams stop trying in. Ruins the game from an entertainment standpoint. crunch time in the playoffs and I have to watch an awful free throw shooter at the line? no thanks

shep33
05-02-2013, 10:24 AM
If Rocket fans want Dwight, be prepared for a lot of this.

kdspurman
05-02-2013, 10:37 AM
How come nba players don't use proper grammar? Didn't they graduate high school and pass freshman year in college?

Some of them just don't. I mean that's probably how they talk normally, & they can't switch it up for the cameras at least.

Sly Guy
05-02-2013, 10:43 AM
I don't have a big issue with the strategy standpoint, but it really kills the entertainment value and flow of the game. I could see the NBA eventually going with something like FIBA has in place where if there is an intentional foul like this away from the ball the player gets 2 freethrows and his team maintains possession. I do understand the strategy behind this and I think it is a smart tactic at times. I just think pro sports in North America are aiming more and more to the entertainment aspect all the time. A rule change will happen eventually.

this.

The purpose of the rules and free throws is to impose a penalty if you break them. By using that as a competitive advantage it's no in the spirit of the rules. Basketball is supposed to be decided 5v5, not 1v0 from 15' out. If the rule isn't enough of a deterrent, then formulate a new rule that is.

kingjaymes23
05-02-2013, 10:48 AM
I don't get how it's not considered an intentional foul, warranting extra FTs. I never want to see an intentional foul called by a ref if this isnt one

alexander_37
05-02-2013, 10:48 AM
It's taking advantage of a weakness, just like posting up is. I just think it is kind of cowardly especially when you are the #1 seed.

Hangtime
05-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Once they got the lead down to 6, mission was accomplished they were back in the game. There was no need to continue hacking.

pd1dish
05-02-2013, 10:53 AM
there is nothing classless about his. annoying? yes. frustrating? yes

it would be classless if he instructed his players to not only foul, but to hurt him and get him out of the game. otherwise, this does no harm to anyone and is a strategy. i mean, you need players to have the fouls to give. its not like they arent giving up anything to send Asik to the line. and since Houston gets into the penalty as a result, then other players on Houston automatically go to the line for every foul, which can severely hurt you down the stretch.

it can hurt you as much as help you if the player youre hacking hits the free throws, so as far as im concerned, work on your free throws and this wont happen.

kdspurman
05-02-2013, 10:57 AM
It's taking advantage of a weakness, just like posting up is. I just think it is kind of cowardly especially when you are the #1 seed.

I don't think it's cowardly (of course I may be biased ;) ) But this isn't the same #1 seed anymore with Westbrook out, and I think Brooks senses that. Once he went down, the way Houston was playing, (with a lot more confidence) he tried to do what he could to slow the game down, this is a series again and it looks like it's up for grabs. Though slowing the game down isn't exactly a strong point of OKC, so the move itself is sort of counterintuitive. But I think he mainly wanted to slow down the Rockets and hope for the best.

So sure it's a little desperate, trying to find someway to slow down the Rockets. But I don't think cowardly is the right word.

pd1dish
05-02-2013, 11:05 AM
The purpose of the rules and free throws is to impose a penalty if you break them. By using that as a competitive advantage it's no in the spirit of the rules. Basketball is supposed to be decided 5v5, not 1v0 from 15' out. If the rule isn't enough of a deterrent, then formulate a new rule that is.

I don't get how it's not considered an intentional foul, warranting extra FTs. I never want to see an intentional foul called by a ref if this isnt one

i think that you guys have the right idea. a new rule would have to be imposed to keep teams from taking advantage of the system. the current rules state that an off-the-ball foul results in a technical free throw and retention of the ball, but only in the last 2 minutes of a game. the only way to stop this is to make it a rule for the full game.

however, how do you draw the line on what is intentional or not? it would come down to judgments from the refs and would also slow the game down even more because absolutely every off-the-ball foul would result in a review. i dont see it happening.

Lakers Ghost
05-02-2013, 01:29 PM
To those of you not watching the OKC-Rockets game, Scott Brooks pulled what I think has to be the most classless stunt I've ever seen from a coach in a professional basketball game. Every time Houston touched the ball, a Thunder player would immediately go foul Omer Asik and make him shoot free throws. Literally, immediately. The ball would be inbounded and we'd hear a whistle. And he did this in the middle of the fourth quarter for a long stretch. I mean... seriously? You're a ****ing 1 seed. Have a little class. I could see Stern fining them for this. I mean, if benching the Spurs players was insulting to the fans, shouldn't this be on a smaller scale? It's complete BS.

apparently you have not be watching the lakers game this has been going on with howard during the whole season every game including the playoffs.!:cool:

Chronz
05-02-2013, 01:30 PM
Hacking a player is futile so long as they can hit at least 48% or so, thats scoring at a higher rate than most teams do against a set defense, which is what the other team will have to face when hacking anyone.

Guppyfighter
05-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Hacking a player is futile so long as they can hit at least 48% or so, thats scoring at a higher rate than most teams do against a set defense, which is what the other team will have to face when hacking anyone.

Nah, it's okay to give up that much because it extends time. If you extend time you need to score more on average otherwise you'd probably have to shut them out.

Depends on the circumstances.