PDA

View Full Version : Damian lillard unanimous Rookie of the Year

License2Lillard
05-01-2013, 07:10 PM
Title says it all has bad an amazing season.

License2Lillard
05-01-2013, 07:10 PM
Here's the link. http://www.blazersedge.com/2013/5/1/4290962/blazers-g-damian-lillard-officially-named-2013-nba-rookie-of-the-year

License2Lillard
05-01-2013, 07:54 PM
http://www.blazersedge.com/2013/5/1/4290962/blazers-g-damian-lillard-officially-named-2013-nba-rookie-of-the-year

DumDum
05-01-2013, 08:17 PM
I don't think it was unanimous can somebody prove me right I wrong ?

Gators123
05-01-2013, 08:21 PM
I don't think it was unanimous can somebody prove me right I wrong ?

Rookie, Team 1st 2nd 3rd Total

Damian Lillard, Portland 121 -- -- 605

Anthony Davis, New Orleans -- 96 18 306

Bradley Beal, Washington -- 14 52 94

Andre Drummond, Detroit -- 5 21 36

Dion Waiters, Cleveland -- 2 15 21

Harrison Barnes, Golden State -- 1 5 8

Chris Copeland, New York -- 2 2 8

Kidd-Gilchrist, Charlotte -- -- 3 3

Jonas Valanciunas, Toronto -- -- 2 2

John Jenkins, Atlanta -- -- 1 1

DumDum
05-01-2013, 08:24 PM

Thank you

barreleffact
05-01-2013, 08:49 PM
as expected people get sucked into overall numbers with no regard to context or efficiency. Davis should have at least got some votes

ChiSox219
05-01-2013, 09:16 PM
as expected people get sucked into overall numbers with no regard to context or efficiency. Davis should have at least got some votes

Lillard led the league in minutes played while Davis missed a lot of time but yeah Davis is the better player.

TrueFan420
05-01-2013, 11:08 PM
If Davis hadn't missed so much time this would have been a far more interesting reward

Hawkeye15
05-01-2013, 11:11 PM
Totally disagree with the unanimous selection, I think Davis was the better player, but I think Lillard should have won ROY. But cmon, he wasn't head and shoulders above Davis..

mrblisterdundee
05-02-2013, 01:32 AM

By context do you mean Davis being injured so often? Because last time I checked, being injured makes you less valuable of a player.

barreleffact
05-02-2013, 02:26 AM
By context do you mean Davis being injured so often? Because last time I checked, being injured makes you less valuable of a player.

His injuries allow you to see his on v off court impact. With that being said, I'm not debating the decision mr blazer fan. I'm debating that it was unanimous. I could care less who actually won, and it seemed like a one horse race for a long time, but unanimously voting for him is interesting IMO. Through 64 games, Davis bested Lillard in many of the advanced categoried from Ortg to Drtg to PER by a good margin for all. http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=davisan02&y1=2013&p2=lillada01&y2=2013#advanced::none

Swashcuff
05-02-2013, 09:33 AM
His injuries allow you to see his on v off court impact. With that being said, I'm not debating the decision mr blazer fan. I'm debating that it was unanimous. I could care less who actually won, and it seemed like a one horse race for a long time, but unanimously voting for him is interesting IMO. Through 64 games, Davis bested Lillard in many of the advanced categoried from Ortg to Drtg to PER by a good margin for all. http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=davisan02&y1=2013&p2=lillada01&y2=2013#advanced::none

If you really want to see on off impact look at my posts in the other Lillard thread. For the record I 100% agree with Lillard getting the award but just like Hawkeye15 unanimously. I wonder though if those of you who think that Davis is better because of his advanced metrics think Geroge Hill is better than him a s well.

Theyhateme459
05-02-2013, 09:41 AM
Totally disagree with the unanimous selection, I think Davis was the better player, but I think Lillard should have won ROY. But cmon, he wasn't head and shoulders above Davis..

If you think he should have won, and most think he should have won, then your saying a voter should have voted for Davis just because.... even though he individually felt Lillard was the ROY?

blahblahyoutoo
05-02-2013, 09:53 AM

lol @ copeland getting 2 votes for 2nd.

Alayla
05-02-2013, 11:04 AM
So much for people saying AD was a lock for ROY

mrblisterdundee
05-02-2013, 04:11 PM

I guess I'm still mad about that one moron in Toronto voting Andrea Bargnani Rookie of the Year – Brandon Roy should have been unanimous as well.

John Walls Era
05-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Davis deserved some votes. I would pick Lillard based on numbers, but Davis had more impact and advance metrics prove it.

MagicBucsSox
05-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Who voted mkd for 3rd!!!! He stinks

JasonJohnHorn
05-02-2013, 11:26 PM

I think you are right. Davis is the better player, but did he have a better season? Lillard lead all rookies in points and assists. That is impressive. Lillard also played an impressive number of minutes and played all 82 games. Davis struggle with injuries and averaged far fewer minutes. Perhaps that was coaching, perhaps that was conditioning, perhaps that was about the injuries he was working with, I'm not sure. But when it comes to MVP votes, nobody ever says: Oh, that guy who only played 60 games and only averages 28 minutes per game has great efficiency and great per36 minutes stats, lets give him some first place votes. That never happens.

Lillard had a better season, hands down. He was healthy, played at an all-star level out of he gate, showed great endurance, lead a team, as a rookie, in the playoff hunt which Portland stayed in until the last two weeks of the season. Lead all rookies in scoring and assists and had a solid 3pth percentage.

If Davis had been healthy and been able to post 36 minutes a game, then this would have been interesting, but I am reminded of the year Okafor won the ROY. Everybody knew that Dwight would be the best player in the draft, but the bottom line was that Okafor had the better season and deserved the award. Davis wasn't healthy, he didn't play a lot of minutes and his team was never in playoff contention. Lillard, as a rookie, nearly lead his team to the playoffs, distributed the ball to a team of vets, earned 38 minutes a game and never hit the rookie wall. He clearly had the best season of all rookies.

Any argument that can be made for Davis, can also be made for Drummond. Drummond's per36 stats had him getting more rebounds, steals and blocks than Davis and only had him a couple points less per game (which is impressive since Frank ran practically NO plays for Drummond). Drummond also shot over 60% from the floor (though his FG% is awful). Anybody who says David should have gotten some votes should also be saying that Drummond should have gotten some votes.

Bottom line, Lillard clearly had the best season. If healthy, I have no doubt that Davis will come away as the best player in this draft and that Drummond may be on a par with him and Lillard will be the third best player, but THIS season, Lillard was ready to play at an extremely high level. He deserves the award and deserves it unanimously. I am not even a little surprised.

I am however surprised that Davis was not the unanimous second place finisher. I think homers are more likely to put their own guy in second on voting when they don't deserve it as long as they picked the right guy for first place. Beal, Waiters, Barnes and Copeland all got second place votes? Seriously? How were any of them as good as Davis? Drummond I can see... Copeland? lol

da ThRONe
05-03-2013, 09:42 AM
I think you are right. Davis is the better player, but did he have a better season? Lillard lead all rookies in points and assists. That is impressive. Lillard also played an impressive number of minutes and played all 82 games. Davis struggle with injuries and averaged far fewer minutes. Perhaps that was coaching, perhaps that was conditioning, perhaps that was about the injuries he was working with, I'm not sure. But when it comes to MVP votes, nobody ever says: Oh, that guy who only played 60 games and only averages 28 minutes per game has great efficiency and great per36 minutes stats, lets give him some first place votes. That never happens.

I
Lillard had a better season, hands down. He was healthy, played at an all-star level out of he gate, showed great endurance, lead a team, as a rookie, in the playoff hunt which Portland stayed in until the last two weeks of the season. Lead all rookies in scoring and assists and had a solid 3pth percentage.

If Davis had been healthy and been able to post 36 minutes a game, then this would have been interesting, but I am reminded of the year Okafor won the ROY. Everybody knew that Dwight would be the best player in the draft, but the bottom line was that Okafor had the better season and deserved the award. Davis wasn't healthy, he didn't play a lot of minutes and his team was never in playoff contention. Lillard, as a rookie, nearly lead his team to the playoffs, distributed the ball to a team of vets, earned 38 minutes a game and never hit the rookie wall. He clearly had the best season of all rookies.

Any argument that can be made for Davis, can also be made for Drummond. Drummond's per36 stats had him getting more rebounds, steals and blocks than Davis and only had him a couple points less per game (which is impressive since Frank ran practically NO plays for Drummond). Drummond also shot over 60% from the floor (though his FG% is awful). Anybody who says David should have gotten some votes should also be saying that Drummond should have gotten some votes.

Bottom line, Lillard clearly had the best season. If healthy, I have no doubt that Davis will come away as the best player in this draft and that Drummond may be on a par with him and Lillard will be the third best player, but THIS season, Lillard was ready to play at an extremely high level. He deserves the award and deserves it unanimously. I am not even a little surprised.

I am however surprised that Davis was not the unanimous second place finisher. I think homers are more likely to put their own guy in second on voting when they don't deserve it as long as they picked the right guy for first place. Beal, Waiters, Barnes and Copeland all got second place votes? Seriously? How were any of them as good as Davis? Drummond I can see... Copeland? lol

This except I think Drummond is the best player from the draft. It's hard to understand people thinking. Davis should have gotten a 1st place vote just because they didn't want Lillard to win all the 1st place votes when he clearly was the obvious choice. Season awards are about the season not the talent or the future. It's about production not projected production. Our team played at the same level with Davis as we did without him.

Sly Guy
05-03-2013, 10:46 AM
I guess I'm still mad about that one moron in Toronto voting Andrea Bargnani Rookie of the Year – Brandon Roy should have been unanimous as well.

lol, his name was chuck swirsky. And he's sucking the dick of the bulls' organization just as hard.

DR_1
05-03-2013, 11:30 AM

I agree with you. Lillard was deserving don't get me wrong but come on Davis deserves some recognition.

DR_1
05-03-2013, 11:31 AM
lol, his name was chuck swirsky. And he's sucking the dick of the bulls' organization just as hard.

:facepalm: