PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson to Toronto?

adab
05-01-2013, 01:27 PM
A report on one of the national sports channels in Canada said the Raptors are the from runners to hire Phil Jackson as their next president.
Has anyonew else heard this rumour? Personally, I don't get it.
1. The guy's fiancee is Jeanie Buss, executive VP of the LA Lakers.
2. He's NEVER been an executive of any kind in the NBA.
3. Why would anyone want to work for Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment? Their primary goald is profit at the expense of EVERYTHING else, including wins.
4. Phil Jackson is a master motivater of exceptional talkent. He has none of that in Toronto.
5. Remember that the best cooah in NHL history, Scotty Bowman, wasn't that great as a GM in Buffalo, so Raptor fans shouldn't be planning any championship parades even if the do sign Phil Jackson.

DumDum
05-01-2013, 01:30 PM
As Pres. sure why not if they make it to the playoffs within 5 seasons of hiring Jackson had his hands all over it

smith&wesson
05-01-2013, 01:45 PM
still don't see it happening ... Why would he come here, it makes no sense.

ManRam
05-01-2013, 01:48 PM
i don't get it for both parties honestly.

heyman321
05-01-2013, 01:50 PM
The dude who used to be President of the LA Kings, Lakers, Galaxy just got hired as CEO and President of all Toronto teams, so the story is they are hoping that guy can convince Phil Jackson to come.

Vampirate
05-01-2013, 01:52 PM

Well the Raptors probably want Phil to be able to attract star players if they get into that type of position. As for Phil, it depends on how badly he wants to be able to make a team.

TheGuz00
05-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Phil not leaving LA, he's staying put, D'antoni will be fired and Phil will be named coach!

TheGuz00
05-01-2013, 01:54 PM
Plus, Phil is to old to rebuild a team!

MDD
05-01-2013, 02:07 PM
Phil only go to teams with the best players in the league

heyman321
05-01-2013, 02:08 PM

True, he only coaches teams with at least 2 HOFers

smith&wesson
05-01-2013, 02:09 PM

This.

mike_noodles
05-01-2013, 02:13 PM
A report on one of the national sports channels in Canada said the Raptors are the from runners to hire Phil Jackson as their next president.
Has anyonew else heard this rumour? Personally, I don't get it.
1. The guy's fiancee is Jeanie Buss, executive VP of the LA Lakers.
2. He's NEVER been an executive of any kind in the NBA.
3. Why would anyone want to work for Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment? Their primary goald is profit at the expense of EVERYTHING else, including wins.
4. Phil Jackson is a master motivater of exceptional talkent. He has none of that in Toronto.
5. Remember that the best cooah in NHL history, Scotty Bowman, wasn't that great as a GM in Buffalo, so Raptor fans shouldn't be planning any championship parades even if the do sign Phil Jackson.

1. Yes, but it's my understanding that the rest of the family doesn't like Phil, so it may not be relevant.

2. He wouldn't be the first ever sports CEO without experience, plus I'm sure they could find lots of guys to serve as consultants and/or assistants to help him out.

3. Not sure how much you actually know about them, you are aware that this is a new owners group right? And that they are just now placing "their" guy as the CEO? This means that the atmosphere at MLSE is about to change.

4. Being a motivator of exceptional talent has nothing to do with being a corporate exec. It won't be his job to motivate.

5. This means absolutely nothing. People have tried to quantify the recipe for a good exec, and there is no way to tell until they get the reins.

greg_ory_2005
05-01-2013, 02:22 PM

We have Derozan and Valanciunas. 2 of the best. :)

BALLER R
05-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Why would anyone want to work for Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment? Their primary goald is profit at the expense of EVERYTHING else, including wins.

You clearly don't know much about the raptors. That has been the biggest news throughout the season. New Ownership. Their own by Rogers and Bell. This is about having winning teams in Toronto now. Everything that ownership has done over the past few months is showing that their going to step their game up.

Sly Guy
05-01-2013, 02:35 PM
Why would anyone want to work for Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment? Their primary goald is profit at the expense of EVERYTHING else, including wins.

You clearly don't know much about the raptors. That has been the biggest news throughout the season. New Ownership. Their own by Rogers and Bell. This is about having winning teams in Toronto now. Everything that ownership has done over the past few months is showing that their going to step their game up.

agreed. Look what they did to the Jays. Sure, we're still losers, but losers with a $90mil payroll. Even if they don't win, the willingness to spend that kind of money is a good sign

jakedajewler
05-01-2013, 02:51 PM
don't leave bargs out of it he is a future hall of famer

gwrighter
05-01-2013, 03:13 PM

Raptors hired Lakers director of sports science Alex McKechnie
Raptors hire former CEO of AEG holdings Tim Leiweke, friend of PJ.

PJ wants to build a team, put his stamp on it.
Raptors willing to let PJ make personnel decisions, willing to spend $.

Raptors can give PJ what he wants.

adab
05-01-2013, 09:36 PM
It doesn't matter who owns the Leafs, ALL PAST AND FUTURE owners of MLSE care only about is profit. Why do you think 2 corporations will act any better than the private individuals or the Toronto Teacher's Peension Fund?

Sly Guy
05-01-2013, 09:39 PM
It doesn't matter who owns the Leafs, ALL PAST AND FUTURE owners of MLSE care only about is profit. Why do you think 2 corporations will act any better than the private individuals or the Toronto Teacher's Peension Fund?

because businesses that run media outlets will likely want to see their product succeed, and thus, generate more media interest for them, and ultimately lead to more profit.

Pfeifer
05-01-2013, 10:02 PM
I don't understand why you wouldn't do this of your the Raptors. Honestly, who is gonna do a better job, PJ or Colangelo?

Raps18-19 Champ
05-01-2013, 10:11 PM
I give it like 5% chance he comes here, if that.