PDA

View Full Version : Damian Lillard to be announced as the NBA Rookie of the Year Wednesday

NBA_Starter
05-01-2013, 04:05 AM
The Portland Trail Blazers are expected to announce Wednesday that guard Damian Lillard has been named the NBA's 2013 Rookie of the Year.

The team sent out a press release noting a "major announcement with the NBA" for Wednesday afternoon at the Rose Garden.

Lillard, 22, averaged 19.0 points, 6.5 assists and 3.1 rebounds in 38.6 minutes per game as a rookie. He played all 82 games and led the NBA in minutes played.

Lillard swept the Western Conference Rookie of the Month awards -- October/November 2012 (here), December 2012 (here), January 2013 (here), February 2013 (here), March 2013 (here) and April 2013 (here) -- and won the 2013 Skills Challenge at All-Star Weekend.

Earlier this week, rapper A$AP Rocky referred to Lillard as the Rookie of the Year in an adidas commercial and that's when we all knew that it was truly official.

Three Blazers have previously won the award: Geoff Petrie (1971), Sidney Wicks (1972) and Brandon Roy (2007). Petrie shared the award with Boston Celtics center Dave Cowens.

http://www.blazersedge.com/2013/4/30/4287654/blazers-expected-to-announce-damian-lillards-rookie-of-the-year-award

asandhu23
05-01-2013, 04:08 AM
False! my nba 2k13 player is the rookie of the year.

Guppyfighter
05-01-2013, 04:09 AM
Anthony Davis should get it.

flea
05-01-2013, 04:15 AM

Don't know if you're trolling but he had a nice season. Nothing on the level of Lillard's though.

asandhu23
05-01-2013, 04:16 AM

Why?

Guppyfighter
05-01-2013, 04:17 AM
Don't know if you're trolling but he had a nice season. Nothing on the level of Lillard's though.

Davis' metrics blew away Damian Lillard's.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=davisan02&y1=2013&p2=lillada01&y2=2013

OKC
05-01-2013, 05:15 AM
Lillard played 7 more minutes per game then Beal at second place amongst rookies.
10 more minutes then Waiters at third place.
Lillard was third in the league in minutes per game and first in total minutes.
not to mention the unlimited credit he got in Portland.
he and Davis are closer then most people think but with that said, Lillard should win.
he was consistent, he outscored every rookie, he outassisted every rookie and he dominated all year long.

Guppyfighter
05-01-2013, 05:17 AM
Lillard isn't a bad choice, but Davis still had a bigger impact.

c.c.
05-01-2013, 05:32 AM
I expected this

MagicBucsSox
05-01-2013, 06:50 AM

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=davisan02&y1=2013&p2=lillada01&y2=2013

Lmaooooooo eye test> ...........metrics

DumDum
05-01-2013, 07:05 AM
Good job he earned it

Chrisclover
05-01-2013, 08:38 AM
Good job he earned it

agree~he made the bigger actual impact

Swashcuff
05-01-2013, 08:49 AM

Sigh. When will dudes get that there is more to basketball than just advanced stats? Why not look at how a payer went about getting those stats, what role he played in his team, did he show a high level of maturity, could his team rely in him down the stretch etc sure Davis has better metrics but that in itself doesn't gift him the award. He didn't play under the same circumstances as Lillard, he played much less minutes and almost 20 less games than Lillard did. Dude lead the league in minutes played as a rookie giving his all night in night out. Quite frankly it's an easy decision IMO despite what the stats say and as every one knows on the NBA Forum I'm a big time stats guy.

Lmaooooooo eye test> ...........metrics

Nope and not even close. Common sense will tell you this is not true, no two persons eyes see the same exact things. The eye test is inconsistent and differs from person to person. Stats aren't. Still neither can be used as the sole reason to give a player an award. The decision making has to be holistic.

FYL_McVeezy
05-01-2013, 09:33 AM
He had this award locked up since January...

Guppyfighter
05-01-2013, 10:31 AM
Sigh. When will dudes get that there is more to basketball than just advanced stats? Why not look at how a payer went about getting those stats, what role he played in his team, did he show a high level of maturity, could his team rely in him down the stretch etc sure Davis has better metrics but that in itself doesn't gift him the award. He didn't play under the same circumstances as Lillard, he played much less minutes and almost 20 less games than Lillard did. Dude lead the league in minutes played as a rookie giving his all night in night out. Quite frankly it's an easy decision IMO despite what the stats say and as every one knows on the NBA Forum I'm a big time stats guy.

Nope and not even close. Common sense will tell you this is not true, no two persons eyes see the same exact things. The eye test is inconsistent and differs from person to person. Stats aren't. Still neither can be used as the sole reason to give a player an award. The decision making has to be holistic.

Even adjusting for the lack of minutes and games played, Davis contributed to more winning basketball than Lillard.

@magic And my eye test per minute really went off the charts for Davis instead of Lillard. :sigh:

Swashcuff
05-01-2013, 11:39 AM
Even adjusting for the lack of minutes and games played, Davis contributed to more winning basketball than Lillard.

@magic And my eye test per minute really went off the charts for Davis instead of Lillard. :sigh:

And what you don't seem to understand is at the make up of their teams, the positions in which they played and their role over the course of the season would have obviously affected their statistical production advanced or otherwise.

I can argue that despite the BBref stats Davis as good as he was was not more valuable to his team winning as Lillard was. The Blazers have the highest percentage of production from their starting 5 in all of the NBA. Lillard played every game and gave his all in every single one while playing the most minutes in the game.

You can compare their 82games.com numbers as well as their NBA.com on off numbers.

Here all the links.

Lillard
http://www.82games.com/1213/12POR1.HTM#onoff
http://www.nba.com/advancedstats/team-vs-player.html#Trail-Blazers-vs-Damian-Lillard|1610612757,203081;year=201213;season=r

ORtg: On 105.6 Off 93.9
DRtg: On 105.9 Off 104.4

The Blazers are a full 12 points better per100 possessions with Lillard than without despite the fact that Lillard logged the greatest % of his minutes with the bench players of any player on the Blazers this past season. In other words their offense would be one of the worst in the game without his production. Quite frankly you don't need basic nor advanced stats to tell you that that's basically a given.

Davis
http://www.82games.com/1213/12NOH17.HTM#onoff
http://www.nba.com/advancedstats/team-vs-player.html#Hornets-vs-Anthony-Davis|1610612740,203076;year=201213;season=r
When Davis goes to the bench the difference was negligible tbh.

ORtg: On 102.2 Off 103.3
DRtg: On 107.3 Off 106.9

I am as big a stats guy as there is around here but one has to understand that he needs to be holistic when discussing stats and players. Don't put all your stock into advanced stats without exploring them from all possible facets, applying context and understanding how various factors would have influenced them. If you're going to hold this POV for this discussion then you should agree that George Hill is better than Lillard as well. Do you think Hill is better than Lillard?

MrfadeawayJB
05-01-2013, 11:48 AM
This has been a one horse race the whole season really. Lilliard is so good. Congrats to him

Bravo95
05-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Well deserved. I'd say Davis 2nd, and Beal 3rd.

tredigs
05-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Davis is clearly the more impactful player, so was Drummond for that matter, but I'm more than fine with the award going to the guy who had a really solid season and played every game while playing the 2nd most minutes in the NBA. He's an old rookie for these days ('bout 3 years older than Kyrie right now) and doubt he ends up as a huge impact or All Star level talent, but he did enough to win ROY despite not being the drafts best rookie.

b@llhog24
05-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Davis is clearly the more impactful player, so was Drummond for that matter, but I'm more than fine with the award going to the guy who had a really solid season and played every game while playing the 2nd most minutes in the NBA. He's an old rookie for these days ('bout 3 years older than Kyrie right now) and doubt he ends up as a huge impact or All Star level talent, but he did enough to win ROY despite not being the drafts best rookie.

Agree with most of your post, and while I don't think he'll be an "all star" in terms of making the team. As a Curry fan you should know there's more to it than that.

Super.
05-01-2013, 12:22 PM
:clap:

Good for him!

tredigs
05-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Agree with most of your post, and while I don't think he'll be an "all star" in terms of making the team. As a Curry fan you should know there's more to it than that.

For sure, but I just don't yet see that he'll reach the level that those west guards are at from what we've seen so far (or what I've seen at least). Not really a knock on him as much as it is how absurd the guard level is there. I think Lillard's sick, but I think Davis and Drummond could be pretty special players (team MVP level for contenders in the future). Both are just so young and so talented.

Jarvo
05-01-2013, 12:41 PM
If I wasnt so damn lazy I would go back to the Draft thread because I believe I said he would win it, Loved his game since I seen him in college and knew he would be good. Hope he gets better.

Gators123
05-01-2013, 12:43 PM
Well deserved. I honestly thought he would suck lol

Guppyfighter
05-01-2013, 12:43 PM
And what you don't seem to understand is at the make up of their teams, the positions in which they played and their role over the course of the season would have obviously affected their statistical production advanced or otherwise.

I can argue that despite the BBref stats Davis as good as he was was not more valuable to his team winning as Lillard was. The Blazers have the highest percentage of production from their starting 5 in all of the NBA. Lillard played every game and gave his all in every single one while playing the most minutes in the game.

You can compare their 82games.com numbers as well as their NBA.com on off numbers.

Here all the links.

Lillard
http://www.82games.com/1213/12POR1.HTM#onoff
http://www.nba.com/advancedstats/team-vs-player.html#Trail-Blazers-vs-Damian-Lillard|1610612757,203081;year=201213;season=r

ORtg: On 105.6 Off 93.9
DRtg: On 105.9 Off 104.4

The Blazers are a full 12 points better per100 possessions with Lillard than without despite the fact that Lillard logged the greatest % of his minutes with the bench players of any player on the Blazers this past season. In other words their offense would be one of the worst in the game without his production. Quite frankly you don't need basic nor advanced stats to tell you that that's basically a given.

Davis
http://www.82games.com/1213/12NOH17.HTM#onoff
http://www.nba.com/advancedstats/team-vs-player.html#Hornets-vs-Anthony-Davis|1610612740,203076;year=201213;season=r
When Davis goes to the bench the difference was negligible tbh.

ORtg: On 102.2 Off 103.3
DRtg: On 107.3 Off 106.9

I am as big a stats guy as there is around here but one has to understand that he needs to be holistic when discussing stats and players. Don't put all your stock into advanced stats without exploring them from all possible facets, applying context and understanding how various factors would have influenced them. If you're going to hold this POV for this discussion then you should agree that George Hill is better than Lillard as well. Do you think Hill is better than Lillard?

A. Davis should not be punished as the best rookie in the league because the Blazers have the worst bench in the league.

Stinkyoutsider
05-01-2013, 01:02 PM
Knew Lillard could score but didn't realize he would do this much damage his rookie year. Congrats to him.

BklynKnicks3
05-01-2013, 01:05 PM
well deserved. Suprised the elague doesnt find away to give it to lebron lol. He robbed Melo of that too

DumDum
05-01-2013, 01:13 PM
well deserved. Suprised the elague doesnt find away to give it to lebron lol. He robbed Melo of that too

Bringing up ancient history I see

nolafan33
05-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Davis had a better season but Lillard will win the award because he played more minutes and put up better raw stats.

Swashcuff
05-01-2013, 01:16 PM
A. Davis should not be punished as the best rookie in the league because the Blazers have the worst bench in the league.

What a profound and well thought out post.