PDA

View Full Version : Lionel Hollins

Bullsfan22
05-01-2013, 01:31 AM
I think he's worked his way up into an upper tier coach. He doesn't seem to get enough recognition. Is he a top 10 coach in you guys' opinion?

raiderposting
05-01-2013, 01:34 AM
I think he makes a mean meatloaf.

TeamSeattle
05-01-2013, 01:36 AM
He's a Thibodeau in the making but definitely not there yet, give him a few years.

Avenged
05-01-2013, 01:39 AM
He's not that good.. He has the best center in the league making him look good.

LayBraun
05-01-2013, 01:42 AM

Lol I think he's rather underrated actually. Plus, being down 2-0 and then winning 3 in a row definitely tells me something about the coaching.

Avenged
05-01-2013, 01:43 AM

Lol I think he's rather underrated actually. Plus, being down 2-0 and then winning 3 in a row definitely tells me something about the coaching.

Nah ZBO just woke the hell up

KniCks4LiFe
05-01-2013, 01:45 AM
he already is.

LayBraun
05-01-2013, 01:46 AM
Nah ZBO just woke the hell up

Maybe cause Lionel held a fried chicken dinner party and got ZBO to just relax.

At least that's what I heard. And if that's true, that's good coaching.

KniCks4LiFe
05-01-2013, 01:46 AM

and the defense? the bench, the PG development? there was the midseason acquisitions of those players that fit. Give Hollins credit.

TeamSeattle
05-01-2013, 01:47 AM
Maybe cause Lionel held a fried chicken dinner party and got ZBO to just relax.

At least that's what I heard. And if that's true, that's good coaching.

Why is it always fried chicken with us :pity:

LayBraun
05-01-2013, 01:47 AM
Why is it always fried chicken with us :pity:

ZBO likes his fried chicken and being in Memphis definitely has something to do with it.

Im_in_Mia_bish
05-01-2013, 01:48 AM
umm tony allen, mike conley, prince, zbo, and gasol.

pls stop overrating hollins.

KniCks4LiFe
05-01-2013, 01:51 AM
umm tony allen, mike conley, prince, zbo, and gasol.

pls stop overrating hollins.

so your coach?

Im_in_Mia_bish
05-01-2013, 01:56 AM
so your coach?

Spo is a solid head coach, not top 5, but he is decent, and a very good defensive minded coach. how he was able to sneak us into the playoffs in 2009 is still a mystery to me.

just look at how well he coaches the squad when the big 3 sit..

Chronz
05-01-2013, 02:15 AM
I've seen quite a few blunders on his part, his team is winning in spite of him, or at best because of their talent.

Just to think, if management had listened to him with regards to roster moves, the team wouldn't be in this position. Grizz are so lucky to have guys up stairs that dont put much stock in his opinion.

Chronz
05-01-2013, 02:16 AM

It tells me hes slow to adapt. He actually started Conley on Paul even tho EVERYONE knows CP3 is best contained by putting larger players on him.

Chronz
05-01-2013, 02:17 AM
and the defense? the bench, the PG development? there was the midseason acquisitions of those players that fit. Give Hollins credit.

The defense falls apart without that Center... whats your point?

The bench and the PG development all began when their MANAGEMENT made moves the coach was actually against. The guy doesn't look at the big picture

KniCks4LiFe
05-01-2013, 02:27 AM
The defense falls apart without that Center... whats your point?

The bench and the PG development all began when their MANAGEMENT made moves the coach was actually against. The guy doesn't look at the big picture

so Hollins is a coat rider? his defensive strategy is the first change that stands out w/ Memphis, I think offensively he's not great, he's average but everything else. I mean give the man his credit.

Chronz
05-01-2013, 02:44 AM
I dont know how to rank coaches, how do you separate the man from his players? What I should be saying is that too many people are drinking the kool-aid. Hes not that special, I would have more respect for the topic if it wasn't on the heels of a playoff win. This screams of living in the moment.

I just look at what people are saying to defend his case and give my input on it. I have Woodson above him for sure.

Shammyguy3
05-01-2013, 02:48 AM
For currently active coaches, or at least coaches that coached this season:

1. Pop
2. Thibs
3. Rivers
4. Karl
5. Adelman
6. Vogel
7. Jackson
8. Wooden
9. Skiles
10. McHale

KniCks4LiFe
05-01-2013, 02:55 AM
Adelman? Minny's Adelman?

Shammyguy3
05-01-2013, 02:59 AM
Adelman? Minny's Adelman?

Yup

Greet
05-01-2013, 08:40 AM
Spo is a solid head coach, not top 5, but he is decent, and a very good defensive minded coach. how he was able to sneak us into the playoffs in 2009 is still a mystery to me.

just look at how well he coaches the squad when the big 3 sit..

umm lebron james, dwayne wade, bosh, rio, and allen.

pls stop overrated spoelstra

Heediot
05-01-2013, 09:43 AM
He's good, it's just Del Negro is making him look better.

ManRam
05-01-2013, 10:09 AM
collins is solid.

ranking coaches i think is one of the single most impossible things fans from such an outside viewpoint can actually do. we just don't know enough of what they do. we don't know how well they coach in practice. we don't know the extent of their x's and o's. we don't know really anything. all we see is the final result and when that's the case it's hard to divvy up credit.

obviously he's doing something right defensively. having gasol and allen obviously helps a lot, but it still requires some great coaching to have that solid of a defense. ask dwight/SVG that.

i do think some of the hollinger critics who absolutely tore him apart for the rudy gay trade maybe want to declare their change in opinion. they might miss his lucky shot that bails them out of a game in which he shot 8-25 before hand, but as a whole, they're better off without him.

MrfadeawayJB
05-01-2013, 11:54 AM
He is good and deserves his extension. I really hope he gets a 4 year extension soon. As a grizz die hard that watches nearly every game and keeps up with grizz news constantly, i can say he is underated. He (along with TA) changed the culture in memphis. Defense became a priority. The development of Conley has quite a bit to do with Hollins sticking with him. The players leave it on the court for him and allow him to coach "hard" and get in thier faces. He is a awesome coach for Memphis and a good personality for the city

And the argument that a coach is only as good as his players is meh. There is no way of telling really. If Hollins was magically replaced by Del Negro, would the grizz be better or worse. No way of telling

justinnum1
05-01-2013, 11:56 AM
Not that good, his late game management in close games is pretty bad. tony allen and gasol make him look good.

Bravo95
05-01-2013, 12:05 PM
He gave that team an identity, some mistakes along the way but I can't hold that against him too much.

TeamSeattle
05-01-2013, 12:07 PM
Not that good, his late game management in close games is pretty bad. tony allen and gasol make him look good.

Well right now he's just an average coach but give him a few years to iron out the wrinkles in his plans, he'll be solid.

wizardsfan3
05-01-2013, 12:53 PM
for currently active coaches, or at least coaches that coached this season:

1. Pop
2. Thibs
3. Rivers
4. Karl
5. Adelman
6. Vogel
7. Jackson
8. Wooden
9. Skiles
10. Mchale

skiles?!?!?

Lakersfan2483
05-01-2013, 01:03 PM
I think he's worked his way up into an upper tier coach. He doesn't seem to get enough recognition. Is he a top 10 coach in you guys' opinion?

He's one of the top coaches in the league for sure and should garner more recognition for it. I have him right behind Doc Rivers, Greg Popovich, George Karl and Tom Thibedeau.

b@llhog24
05-01-2013, 01:08 PM
He's one of the top coaches in the league for sure and should garner more recognition for it. I have him right behind Doc Rivers, Greg Popovich, George Karl and Tom Thibedeau.

:smoking:

b@llhog24
05-01-2013, 01:12 PM
collins is solid.

ranking coaches i think is one of the single most impossible things fans from such an outside viewpoint can actually do. we just don't know enough of what they do. we don't know how well they coach in practice. we don't know the extent of their x's and o's. we don't know really anything. all we see is the final result and when that's the case it's hard to divvy up credit.

obviously he's doing something right defensively. having gasol and allen obviously helps a lot, but it still requires some great coaching to have that solid of a defense. ask dwight/SVG that.

i do think some of the hollinger critics who absolutely tore him apart for the rudy gay trade maybe want to declare their change in opinion. they might miss his lucky shot that bails them out of a game in which he shot 8-25 before hand, but as a whole, they're better off without him.

Good post.

Shammyguy3
05-01-2013, 01:30 PM
skiles?!?!?

after seeing him coach the Bulls for 4+ years, he makes the top-10 with Phil/Sloan/SVG/JVG/Brown out of the game. I COMPLETELY forgot about Doug Collins though.

1. Pop
2. Thibs
3. Rivers
4. Karl
5. Adelman
6. Vogel
7. Jackson
8. Wooden
9. Collins
10. Skiles
11. McHale