PDA

View Full Version : 2013 MLB Draft Discussion

Pages : 1 [2]

AI
05-31-2013, 11:33 PM
Johnson actually hasn't been that bad. Remember he wasn't a "full-time" pitcher at Florida, it'll take time.

Nomar
05-31-2013, 11:50 PM
Best case though he's a solid 5th starter and Marrero can hit enough to be a starting SS. That's not too much promise for your two 1st round picks. The saving grace can be Buttrey or Callahan.

Buttrey probably would have been a second rounder if it wasn't for his salary demands. Thats the tricky thing about if a team took Manaea with their second pick. If you can't sign your 2nd or 3rd rounders, you lose that slot money, you can't use it later. So if a team took Manaea in the early second round they would have to sign him or risk a loss financially for the rest of the draft not to mention an early 2nd round pick.

AI
06-01-2013, 03:34 PM
1. HOU - Mark Appel/Jonathan Gray
2. CHC - Mark Appel/Jonathan Gray
3. COL - Kris Bryant
4. MIN - Kohl Stewart/Reese McGuire
5. CLE - Colin Moran
6. MIA - Austin Meadows/Braden Shipley
7. BOS - Kohl Stewart/Clint Frazier

This is what I'm predicting with the first 7 picks. Appel, Gray and Bryant will go top 3.

MIN pick is where it gets interesting, will they go with Stewart or cut a deal with McGuire?

CLE will probably take Moran and rumors are the Meadows advisers have told teams he'd be willing to sign under-slot if it meant moving up. Given Miami's past drafting results, they love HS prospects, I'd think he makes sense at #6 to the Marlins or they might take Shipley.

Leaves us with our pick, depends on what MIN does, if Stewart is still there we're going to pounce on him like a lion on a baby giraffe. If MIN takes him, then I believe that Frazier would be next obvious choice.

JMP83
06-01-2013, 06:13 PM
Best case though he's a solid 5th starter and Marrero can hit enough to be a starting SS. That's not too much promise for your two 1st round picks. The saving grace can be Buttrey or Callahan.

Buttrey probably would have been a second rounder if it wasn't for his salary demands. Thats the tricky thing about if a team took Manaea with their second pick. If you can't sign your 2nd or 3rd rounders, you lose that slot money, you can't use it later. So if a team took Manaea in the early second round they would have to sign him or risk a loss financially for the rest of the draft not to mention an early 2nd round pick.

I think getting a starting SS and a 5th starter would make that draft a big success. It's very hard to draft and develop a starting caliber major leaguer.

-Lavigne43-
06-01-2013, 06:51 PM
You can't read that much into last years draft based off of in game results so far. The Red Sox like to develop starting pitchers by making them use their undeveloped pitches frequently in situations they are not used to. In Workman's first year they wouldn't let him throw his cutter for most of the year. He struggled early in the year too. They do a lot of that type of development in Greenville. You don't have to hit that much to be a valuable shortstop when you can be a plus defender there.

Last years draft was very weak, getting a couple of regular MLB players would be a great success.

SemperFiSox
06-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Marrero will be fine

AuSox
06-02-2013, 04:02 AM
Like most people I think the #7 pick is going to come down to Stewart, Frazier and Meadows. I think Stewart goes #4 to Minnesota (although I wouldn't be too disappointed because he does scare me) and there is a small chance either Frazier or Meadows could go #6 to Miami. Ideally both will be on the board and we can play them against each other to sign one a bit below slot. It seems the next landing spot for either is 10 to Toronto, so maybe we could sign them somewhere between 9-10 money (about $3m) and save about 250k. I think Meadows could go for this, but if Frazier also agreed I would jump all over him.

My dream draft would be something like:

1. RHH OF- Clint Frazier (HS)
Love his passion, bat speed, power and upside and he has the potential to be a special bat in the middle of a lineup

2. LHH 1B- Rowdy Tellez (HS)
Love his bat, should hit for average and power, solid defender at 1st and a great work ethic. Most see him as a late 2nd/3rd rounder so we may be able to also get him a little under slot instead of risk losing him before our 3rd round pick.

3. LHP- Jacob Brentz (HS)
Very projectable athlete with high ceiling. Fastball up to the mid 90's, has a feel for a change and flashes a good curve. 2nd-3rd round prospect.

4. RHP- Carlos Salazar (HS)
Should go higher than this but may fall due to signability. Big fastball up to the high 90's, chance for a plus breaking ball, ton of upside with improving command. His commitment to Fresno State might be the only thing that makes him fall. If we are able to save money in the 1st or 2nd round and later in the top 10 we could afford to go over slot for him.

This is just a dream scenario and highly unlikely, but I would love to take the opposite approach to last year. Go after some high upside high school talent and try to strengthen the lower levels of the minors instead of trying to play it safe.

AI
06-02-2013, 04:19 AM
Doubt we go with 4 HS guys in the first 4 rounds. The Sox generally like to mix & watch between college and high-school guys. I do like all those guys, specially Brentz and Salazar. Some other HS guys to keep an eye on for round 2/3 are Ryan Boldt and Cord Sandberg.

EwanSellars
06-02-2013, 08:20 AM
wasnt boldt a 1st rounder earlier in the year and then he feel for some reason

AuSox
06-02-2013, 09:09 AM
Doubt we go with 4 HS guys in the first 4 rounds. The Sox generally like to mix & watch between college and high-school guys. I do like all those guys, specially Brentz and Salazar. Some other HS guys to keep an eye on for round 2/3 are Ryan Boldt and Cord Sandberg.

I agree that its highly unlikely they go 4 HS guys in a row, that's just my preference. I find it hard to get excited about some of these college guys, especially with it being a weak draft. Personally I think the Sox system needs more positional player talent at the lower levels (I think Salem and up we are pretty good but Greenville is just embarrassing). In terms of pitching I think we are pretty deep, so I would look mainly at upside. I don't see how much a solid college pitcher would add to the system because they would likely have a limited upside. Even if they could be fast tracked I think there are a lot of guys ahead of them. That's why I would like to go after some high upside guys even if they are riskier.

Two other HS guys im really intruiged by in the 3rd/4th round are 3B Trey Michalczewski and RHP Tyler Danish. Michalczewski is a swith hitting 3rd baseman with a good build and projectable body. Better hitter from the left side with good bat speed and power potential. Could really blossom into an All-Star 3B down the line. Danish has a crazy delivery, probably the quickest most scouts have ever seen. He uses a quick side step with a low 3/4 delivery to get the ball out incredibly quick, and is almost impossible to run on. Add to that to a 95 MPH fastball and he can be extremely difficult to handle. He also has a lethal plus slider and good control that should make him a weapon. If he can develop a changeup he has a chance to be a quality starter, if not he has the potential to be an MLB closer with his two pitch mix. His mechanics will scare some teams off but that is just part of the package.

-Lavigne43-
06-02-2013, 11:25 AM

There's 0 chance. I don't know the money demands and much about the players outside the 15ish, but they will probably try to get guys that are slot/below slot to make room for one or two above slot guys. It will be similar to last year that rounds 5?-10 will be full of minimum bonus guys.

I think Law said somewhere that Boldt was an impossible sign

Nomar
06-02-2013, 12:25 PM
My impression is that Tellez would go early second or maybe even late first. There's been talk of him at 2.1 to Houston. I would like to nab him for sure though.

But like it's been said, financially alone we couldn't make those first four picks happen.

-Lavigne43-
06-02-2013, 01:39 PM
Callis on Speier's show http://audio.weei.com/a/75659173/minor-details-ep-52-red-sox-draft-preview-with-jim-callis-of-baseball-america.htm

-Lavigne43-
06-03-2013, 12:41 PM
During the rain delay I turned on MLBN top 50 draft prospects special. They were at Stewart and draft expert Harold Reynolds says "If any team (Houston) had any guts he would go #1". They have these stupid MLB comps at the bottom and his was Josh Beckett. Next was Meadows and his comp was JD Drew :laugh2:. Then Frazier came and Mayo says he has Pedroia's demeanor with Trout's abilities, his comp was also Mike Trout :laugh:

Nomar
06-03-2013, 12:43 PM
During the rain delay I turned on MLBN top 50 draft prospects special. They were at Stewart and draft expert Harold Reynolds says "If any team (Houston) had any guts he would go #1". They have these stupid MLB comps at the bottom and his was Josh Beckett. Next was Meadows and his comp was JD Drew :laugh2:. Then Frazier came and Mayo says he has Pedroia's demeanor with Trout's abilities, his comp was also Mike Trout :laugh:

drew may not be a bad comp but lol in general

-Lavigne43-
06-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Who compares anyone to Drew though. That's the first time I have ever seen someone not named Stephen compared to JD

Nomar
06-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Who compares anyone to Drew though. That's the first time I have ever seen someone not named Stephen compared to JD

Frazier will never be a plus defender in CF if he can stay there (which alone is doubtful) so the Trout comp is pretty useless, but maybe the funniest part was the first part about Houston taking Stewart. They clearly have no balls if Harold Reynolds says so!

-Lavigne43-
06-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Law is trolling now with his new mock draft. Has us picking Stanek again, with Frazier getting picked 13th, and Stewart getting picked 16th. If that happened I think Sawdaye and Cherington might get murdered

AI
06-03-2013, 01:27 PM
Kohl Stewart ‏@kohlstewart1
Where can I watch MLBNetwork in Boston?

AI
06-03-2013, 01:33 PM
Per Baseball America (http://ht.ly/lEawA), the Sox will have $6,830,200 to spend in the first 10 rounds. This is how the bonus pool breaks down pick by pick:

Round 1 #7 $3,246,000
Round 2 #45 $1,229,600
Round 3 #81 $671,200
Round 4 #113 $454,800
Round 5 #143 $340,500
Round 6 #173 $254,900
Round 7 #203 $191,100
Round 8 #233 $157,500
Round 9 #263 $147,200
Round 10 #293 $137,400

The total of each team’s assigned values is used to determine its bonus pool. Any bonus money spent in the first 10 rounds, or any in excess of $100,000 to a player drafted in rounds 11-40, counts against a club’s pool. If a player in the first 10 rounds doesn’t sign, his assigned value is removed from the team’s pool.

There are penalties for clubs that exceed their bonus pools: a 75 percent tax on a 0-5 percent overage; the loss of a first-round pick and a 75 percent tax for more than 5 and up to 10 percent; the loss of first- and second-rounders and a 100 percent tax for more than 10 and up to 15 percent; and the loss of two-first-rounders and a 100 percent tax for more than 15 percent.

-Lavigne43-
06-03-2013, 01:33 PM
He probably did a workout there over the weekend.

AI
06-03-2013, 01:41 PM
All I'm going to say is that if the Twins don't pick up Stewart, there will be a pants party.

Nomar
06-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Just don't take anyone who's last name starts with M and I'll be okay.

goshhhjosh
06-03-2013, 01:48 PM

Who wants to be compared to Beckett these days?

I think Reynolds was the one who said Tim Anderson was the best player in the draft.

EwanSellars
06-03-2013, 03:13 PM
i hope we pick frazier honestly theres too many things going for him that makes me think we almost have to take him

AI
06-03-2013, 04:39 PM
McDaniel's new mock has the pick, 3 other options and who the team hopes drops to them.

Has the Red Sox taking Frazier with Plans B/C/D being Meadows, Alex Gonzalez and Trey Ball.

Also has us hoping for Stewart, Moran or Shipley who went #4, #5 and #6 in his mock.

http://sbb.scout.com/2/1296613.html

YoungStuna
06-03-2013, 05:11 PM
Law is trolling now with his new mock draft. Has us picking Stanek again, with Frazier getting picked 13th, and Stewart getting picked 16th. If that happened I think Sawdaye and Cherington might get murdered

lol I think his mock is terrible. It seems way off to me.

-Lavigne43-
06-03-2013, 05:19 PM
He just wants to be different then everyone else. He's going with the Moran #1 scenario which I can't imagine actually happening.

YoungStuna
06-03-2013, 05:38 PM
He just wants to be different then everyone else. He's going with the Moran #1 scenario which I can't imagine actually happening.

Yeah, but he's got a pretty cool draft tool that I'm using right now:

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/draft/tool/index

Nomar
06-03-2013, 05:41 PM
He has CLE and MIA "hoping for" Stewart, and I doubt either can afford him/will trust his signability even if he fell. Thats the sense among everyone else too.

-Lavigne43-
06-03-2013, 05:49 PM
Gray tested positive for adderall in the pre-draft testing. Doubt it effects where he's drafted though http://espn.go.com/mlb/draft/2013/story/_/id/9338983/top-draft-prospect-jonathan-gray-had-positive-test-adderall

Nomar
06-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Gray tested positive for adderall in the pre-draft testing. Doubt it effects where he's drafted though http://espn.go.com/mlb/draft/2013/story/_/id/9338983/top-draft-prospect-jonathan-gray-had-positive-test-adderall

He was cramming for an exam get off his back bro. DAMN

AI
06-03-2013, 06:02 PM
I used Adderall for studying.

Nomar
06-03-2013, 06:05 PM
I used Adderall for studying.

Hell yeah I eat it for breakfast. But yeah, me too on a serious note.

AI
06-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Ian Browne breaks down the Red Sox draft

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130603&content_id=49383074&c_id=bos

grandsalami
06-03-2013, 11:36 PM
jim Callis @jimcallisba
Heard same. Split camp. @nepd_Loyko: Some rumors circulated recently that #RedSox now prefer Meadows over Frazier if Stewart gone. #mlbdraf

jim Callis @jimcallisba
Kohl Stewart, if there. If not, then Frazier vs. Meadows vs. Ball. @harrythehazmat: Who is the likeliest pick for #RedSox?

bruins>habs
06-03-2013, 11:37 PM
As the draft draws near, idk who i want now...I really like Stewart the more i watch him, but i love Frazier's potential....If we don't get either, i'm going to be sad.

RedSoxtober
06-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Ian Browne breaks down the Red Sox draft

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130603&content_id=49383074&c_id=bos

Kinda weak article. The most interesting tidbit is Sawdye saying that something is wrong if they don't produce MLB talent out of this draft in 5-10 years. Interesting only because it seems to point toward HS vs college talent.

Nomar
06-04-2013, 01:01 PM
I'm interested to see where Jan Hernandez falls or if he signs. Same with Justin Williams. If we draft Stewart I'd love to nab Jordan Paroubeck after.

Nomar
06-04-2013, 01:35 PM
Guys I'm interested in:

1st Round: Stewart, Frazier, all else fails Meadows, Bickford, or Shipley.

2nd Round: Rowdy Tellez (HS 1B), Jordan Paroubeck (HS OF), Kevin Ziomek (Vandy, LHP) , Chris Anderson (Jacksonvile, RHP), Cord Sandberg (HS OF)

3rd Round and on: Jan Hernandez (HS 3B), Dillon Overton (Okla, LHP if falls), Justin Williams (HS OF), Drew Ward (HS 3B/1B), Zack Collins (HS C/1B), Tucker Neuhaus (HS SS/3B), Tyler Danish (HS RHP), Austin Kubitza (Rice, RHP)

AI
06-04-2013, 10:24 PM
Kiley McDaniel @kileymcd
Closer than two weeks ago, still think they prefer Frazier RT @pittcabe Meadows? Sounds like Boston likes him even more than Frazier.

AI
06-04-2013, 11:04 PM
Jim Callis @jimcallisba
Beginning to sense #Astros leaning to Appel if $ fit like they want. #mlbdraft

AI
06-04-2013, 11:17 PM
Rumors are that if the Astros select Appel, the CHC won't take Gray and will take one of Bryant or Moran.

This could really shake up the draft, would COL select Gray?

j-bay
06-04-2013, 11:28 PM
Rumors are that if the Astros select Appel, the CHC won't take Gray and will take one of Bryant or Moran.

This could really shake up the draft, would COL select Gray?

I think it will be a different order of 1-3 but the Twins still take Stewart (I think the Cubs would go with Bryant). Remember the Twins did take Buxton.

AI
06-04-2013, 11:40 PM
I think it will be a different order of 1-3 but the Twins still take Stewart (I think the Cubs would go with Bryant). Remember the Twins did take Buxton.

You are probably right.

Nomar
06-04-2013, 11:52 PM
Colorado definitely would take Gray. Bryant is supposedly going to be the most expensive signee, so there's no reason they couldn't take Gray. Not to mention the fact that Colorado probably wants a good pitcher on their team at some point in this decade.

j-bay
06-05-2013, 12:15 AM
Who would go 2 then?

Nomar
06-05-2013, 12:18 AM
Bryant.

j-bay
06-05-2013, 12:44 AM
So if the rumor about Appel is true, then we have
Hou-Appel
Chi-Grey/Bryant/Moran
Col-Grey/Bryant
Min-Stewart
Cle-Moran/Bryant
Mia-HS Kid not named Frazier
Bos-Frazier.

Nomar
06-05-2013, 12:57 AM
So if the rumor about Appel is true, then we have
Hou-Appel
Chi-Grey/Bryant/Moran
Col-Grey/Bryant
Min-Stewart
Cle-Moran/Bryant
Mia-HS Kid not named Frazier/Shipley
Bos-Frazier.

looks about right according to popular belief.

RedSoxtober
06-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Guys I'm interested in:

1st Round: Stewart, Frazier, all else fails Meadows, Bickford, or Shipley.

2nd Round: Rowdy Tellez (HS 1B), Jordan Paroubeck (HS OF), Kevin Ziomek (Vandy, LHP) , Chris Anderson (Jacksonvile, RHP), Cord Sandberg (HS OF)

3rd Round and on: Jan Hernandez (HS 3B), Dillon Overton (Okla, LHP if falls), Justin Williams (HS OF), Drew Ward (HS 3B/1B), Zack Collins (HS C/1B), Tucker Neuhaus (HS SS/3B), Tyler Danish (HS RHP), Austin Kubitza (Rice, RHP)

I'll be pretty shocked if the Sox don't go with a very "safe" second round pick if they go all out with a high ceiling HS pick at #7. Personally not all that excited about a HS 1B; it's too easy to shift power hitters there when all else fails.

Nomar
06-05-2013, 10:43 AM
I'll be pretty shocked if the Sox don't go with a very "safe" second round pick if they go all out with a high ceiling HS pick at #7. Personally not all that excited about a HS 1B; it's too easy to shift power hitters there when all else fails.

Usually with you there but there, but for me Tellez is an exception not the rule.

EDIT - SP Staff on Tellez:

Rowdy Tellez, 1B, Elk Grove HS (Calif.) – Lefty power bat with a great name. Unlike many prep power hitters, Tellez has an advanced plate approach. While he has played outfield in high school, he should move to first base as a pro. Committed to USC. Might still be around at pick 81.

If we nab Stewart I wouldn't be surprised if we went with Paroubeck or Sandberg, a high ceiling offensive HSer. Then again we could just as easily wait and see if they fall to the 3rd round. If we go frazier then i would bet on a safe pick following it.

Sweet_Caroline
06-05-2013, 12:47 PM
I hoping we get Stewart or Frazier. Looks doubtful that Stewart gets to us though.

Station 13
06-05-2013, 01:12 PM
So excited, yet so nervous for tomorrow.

Nomar
06-05-2013, 02:55 PM
So excited, yet so nervous for tomorrow.

Sadly I am too. It's all I've been thinking about. My top 3 are:

1) Stewart
2) Frazier
3) Meadows

AI
06-05-2013, 03:21 PM
My softball game was changed from today to tomorrow at 7pm. I wanted to watch the draft, FML.

Nomar
06-05-2013, 03:57 PM
My softball game was changed from today to tomorrow at 7pm. I wanted to watch the draft, FML.

My first day of my internship is tomorrow, but unlike you I'm done at 5:30 :)

AI
06-05-2013, 04:11 PM
My first day of my internship is tomorrow, but unlike you I'm done at 5:30 :)

Have I told you how much I hate you?

Nomar
06-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Have I told you how much I hate you?

Yes :sigh:

AI
06-05-2013, 04:21 PM
Yes :sigh:

That rerref guy over at SP is pretty cool. ;)

Nomar
06-05-2013, 04:25 PM
That rerref guy over at SP is pretty cool. ;)

Should've gone with olracnaiG

AI
06-05-2013, 04:37 PM
Should've gone with olracnaiG

Ugh, that sounds like some type of vagina cream.

AI
06-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Brian MacPherson @brianmacp
Cherington, Sawdaye say draft board is just about set thanks to "18 hours a day and a lot of bad food" in a conference room in recent days.

The message from Cherington, Sawdaye was consistent: Line up the board, take the best player left when No. 7 (and No. 45, No. 81) comes up.

AI
06-05-2013, 05:29 PM
Cherington: "In any year, but particularly this year, we’re going to take the player that we think impacts the organization the most."

Nomar
06-05-2013, 05:36 PM
Generic stuff mostly.

Nomar
06-05-2013, 06:31 PM
In the back of my head I have the feeling that all this Meadows talk has been a smokescreen because it was getting clear that we loved Frazier and we probably didn't want Miami or Cleveland to get any ideas of really starting to jump on him. We act like we're torn, and maybe we are a little, but in the end it was always Frazier. If we take Frazier tomorrow over Meadows it'll look like that is the case.

-Lavigne43-
06-05-2013, 06:41 PM
It's possible that they love Meadows, and the Frazier talk was a smokescreen. The Red Sox minor league hitting coordinator is/was Meadows private hitting coach and lives down the street from Frazier. They should have more information on these guys then any other team. Whoever Callis picks in his mock draft tomorrow morning is who I think we will draft.

I forgot to post this. Callis/Law podcast on the draft http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=9341866

Nomar
06-05-2013, 06:43 PM
It's possible that they love Meadows, and the Frazier talk was a smokescreen. The Red Sox minor league hitting coordinator is/was Meadows private hitting coach and lives down the street from Frazier. They should have more information on these guys then any other team. Whoever Callis picks in his mock draft tomorrow morning is who I think we will draft.

I forgot to post this. Callis/Law podcast on the draft http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=9341866

True, what I said goes both ways. The only reason why I think it's more likely that Meadows would be the screen is that Frazier and Stewart were rumored at the same time and you have to think Stewart was an 100% legitimate rumor.

-Lavigne43-
06-05-2013, 08:57 PM
@pgammo
Draft is so unpredictable that it appears the 'Stros and Cubs @1-2 are in quandaries, and teams think the Rockies @3 go 1B Dominic Smith.

wtf!?

bruins>habs
06-05-2013, 09:06 PM
@pgammo
Draft is so unpredictable that it appears the 'Stros and Cubs @1-2 are in quandaries, and teams think the Rockies @3 go 1B Dominic Smith.

wtf!?

Dominic Smith going 3?!? Would that screw the draft up more than i think it would?

-Lavigne43-
06-05-2013, 09:14 PM
Gammons has good sources in front offices, and Smith has had some helium in the last week. The Rockies are also do strange things. Assuming the two college pitchers go 1-2

4. Stewart, but it would be super hard to pass on Bryant
5. Bryant/Moran
6. Who knows what the Marlins do

It just means Moran or Stewart would make it to us.

Now if insanity happens

1. Moran
2. Appel
3. Smith
4. Gray/Stewart/Bryant (would be insane if they took Stewart)
5. Bryant/Gray (I think they would take Gray)
6. Who knows
7. Bryant/Stewart/Frazier/Meadows

Just means Stewart will be there, or in an insane circumstance Bryant.

AI
06-05-2013, 11:22 PM
If the Rockies pick Smith at #3, the draft will get very interesting.

-Lavigne43-
06-05-2013, 11:31 PM
keithlaw ‏@keithlaw 1m
I've heard this too. RT @r_mack: @keithlaw Any truth to rumor of Rockies taking Dominic Smith at # 3? (Peter Gammons tweeted earlier)
Expand

AI
06-05-2013, 11:48 PM
#1 HOU - Appel
#2 CHC - Bryant
#3 COL - Smith
#4 MIN - Gray
#5 CLE - Moran
#6 MIA - Meadows
#7 BOS - Stewart
#8 KC - Shipley
#9 PIT - Frazier

I could see it playing out this way if CHC passes on Gray and COL takes Smith.

mooz
06-06-2013, 08:34 AM
Can someone clear something up for me, I feel like I must be missing something. Kris Bryant is a 1B, correct? So, why are so many predicting the Cubs will take Bryant when they have Rizzo locked in for a very team-friendly amount for the next 7 years with 2 years of team options after that when the Cubs play in the NL with no DH? Moran seems far more likely to me if Appel went first and they passed on Gray being that despite his weak defense, he fits a need and profiles as a player Theo and Jed would love due to plate approach.

EwanSellars
06-06-2013, 09:23 AM
bryant is a 3rd basemen currently but could move to outfield or 1st base

mooz
06-06-2013, 09:36 AM
bryant is a 3rd basemen currently but could move to outfield or 1st base

Ok sorry about that, didn't realize he could move to OF. Every projection I've seen on him puts him at 1B. And most mock drafts even list him as a 1B. So essentially he's in the same boat positionally as Moran. Makes more sense now.

todu82
06-06-2013, 12:40 PM
Fingers crossed that Kris Bryant slips to us at #7.

j-bay
06-06-2013, 01:29 PM
Last Callis mock
http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/mock-draft-4-0-the-final-countdown/

bruins>habs
06-06-2013, 01:39 PM
Fingers crossed that Kris Bryant slips to us at #7.

I doubt that happens.

j-bay
06-06-2013, 01:41 PM
I doubt that happens.

The Lowest he goes will probaby be Cleveland at 5.

EwanSellars
06-06-2013, 02:09 PM
yeah im hoping that our pick is stewart, frazier or shipley im not a huge fan of meadows but i could live with it. frazier would be my top choice because he has plus bat speed plays like pedroia has crazy power already and is a ginger (not really a reason but pretty awesome) and i like shipley because hes only been pitching for a year and hes already projected to go top 10 with a plus plus change up thats insane and would be really excited if we got him as well and then stewart i havent seen much about him but he would be the pick if he was there so id be happy with that since it has been said he has #1 potential

AI
06-06-2013, 02:42 PM
Darren Wolfson @DarrenWolfson
Advisor via text just now w/ a stake in the #MNTwins draft: "Stewart is going 4." Me: "What if he goes 1 to hometown?" Advisor: "He's not."

The Twins would be "pleased" if Gray or third baseman Kris Bryant made it past the first three picks, La Velle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports.

Looks like we're only getting Stewart if Gray somehow slips to them at #4, Bryant is not slipping out of the top 3.

bruins>habs
06-06-2013, 04:08 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2013/06/06/mlb-mock-draft-who-goes-no-1/2397237/

This mock has it going:

1. Gray
2. Appel
3. Bryant
4. Shipley
5. Moran
6. Meadows
7. Frazier
8. Stewart

IDK what the guy is thinking but there is no way the Sox pass up Stewart.

-Lavigne43-
06-06-2013, 04:34 PM
Every national sports site has to have a mock. USA Today is not one I would follow.

AI
06-06-2013, 04:54 PM
Matthew (St. Paul): Are the Twins a lock to take Kohl Stewart unless one of the college arms slip? Thanks!

Conor Glassey: No, I heard he was losing some favor in Minnesota. It sounds like they're considering a group of players (Ball, Shipley, Reese McGuire) - perhaps as a way to get Stewart to drop his price? We'll see. Lots of gamesmanship happening over the past 24 hours.

grandsalami
06-06-2013, 05:05 PM
Interesting, well placed source just told me that Astros are down to Stewart or Moran. Kohl would certainly be a surprise.

https://twitter.com/DavidRawnsleyPG/status/342745713953878017

AI
06-06-2013, 05:07 PM
https://twitter.com/DavidRawnsleyPG/status/342745713953878017

Wow.

-Lavigne43-
06-06-2013, 05:09 PM
@jimcallisBA 18m
Deja vu. Two hours before #mlbdraft, no concrete idea of what #Astros will do at No. 1. Killing me!

AI
06-06-2013, 05:10 PM
****, why must my softball game be today. I really want to watch the damn draft.

grandsalami
06-06-2013, 05:11 PM
****, why must my softball game be today. I really want to watch the damn draft.

get yourself ejected

AI
06-06-2013, 05:14 PM
get yourself ejected

I would stay home, but we start a new tournament today so I have to go.

bruins>habs
06-06-2013, 05:25 PM
I would stay home, but we start a new tournament today so I have to go.

say you "fell down the stairs" and "can't make it today."

BTW Is that Rawnsley guy legit?!?

Stewart OR Moran over Appel/Gray

AI
06-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Could be a smokescreen, could be the Astros playing hardball to lower the demands ($) on some of their top choices or HOU might go with the same draft strategy from last year which is go under-slot and use the saved $ on some of your other picks. Problem with that is that this years draft isn't that deep in talent.

bruins>habs
06-06-2013, 05:33 PM
Could be a smokescreen, could be the Astros playing hardball to lower the demands ($) on some of their top choices or HOU might go with the same draft strategy from last year which is go under-slot and use the saved $ on some of your other picks. Problem with that is that this years draft isn't that deep in talent.

In every other draft, the worst team gets the chance to pick the best player. Why in baseball, can a sucky team get screwed and may not be able to pick the best player?

-Lavigne43-
06-06-2013, 05:36 PM
If you want to kill some time, Law on Speier's show http://audio.weei.com/a/75851107/minor-details-ep-53-1-draft-day-episode-keith-law-on-who-red-sox-will-pick.htm

EwanSellars
06-06-2013, 05:38 PM
im too excited for this draft tonight this is my first time covering it closely and im too excited for the Sox to pick

AI
06-06-2013, 05:38 PM
In every other draft, the worst team gets the chance to pick the best player. Why in baseball, can a sucky team get screwed and may not be able to pick the best player?

Wouldn't say the Astros got screwed last year, Correa was considered a top 3 pick and they went under-slot and got other players like McCullers, Fontana and Ruiz so it was a pretty significant haul.

It depends on your strategy and how that pick affects your bonus pool. If the Astros wanted Appel, the consensus #1 pick, they can draft him and sign him up pretty easily. However, it's pretty obvious that teams will weigh the risk of certain strategies in hopes of getting the best haul possible.

-Lavigne43-
06-06-2013, 05:45 PM
‏@TimBritton 7m
2nd rd ~ 10:20. MT @Sean_McAdam: For those wondering, Red Sox believe first-round selection in tonight's draft will take place around 7:40.
Expand

-Lavigne43-
06-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Wouldn't say the Astros got screwed last year, Correa was considered a top 3 pick and they went under-slot and got other players like McCullers, Fontana and Ruiz so it was a pretty significant haul.

It depends on your strategy and how that pick affects your bonus pool. If the Astros wanted Appel, the consensus #1 pick, they can draft him and sign him up pretty easily. However, it's pretty obvious that teams will weigh the risk of certain strategies in hopes of getting the best haul possible.

I don't know their draft board, but if they were willing/able to spend big money they could have potentially gotten Buxton and those other guys in the later rounds. I don't know how Houston's players are performing, but with Buxton's ridiculous performance so far they might have been better off just taking the consensus best player last year.

-Lavigne43-
06-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Also, do you guys want a fresh new thread for the draft?

AI
06-06-2013, 05:50 PM
I know Correa and McCullers have been solid thus far.

grandsalami
06-06-2013, 05:53 PM
RT @thekapman Some buzz around baseball that the Cubs are leaning to Kris Bryant over taking a pitcher. What would you do?

grandsalami
Also, do you guys want a fresh new thread for the draft?

Draft GDT?

-Lavigne43-
haha on MLBN they showed all the HS players that showed up for the draft. Frazier looked at least head shorter then all of them. They all looked super nervous, except him who looked like he was about to fall asleep.

-Lavigne43-
06-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Draft GDT?

Yeah. Would be cleaner for everyone to read.

grandsalami
06-06-2013, 05:58 PM
Yeah. Would be cleaner for everyone to read.

im ok w/ that

Nomar
06-06-2013, 05:58 PM
Yeah Lav, I say clean it up.