PDA

View Full Version : Why Dwight Howard Will Choose the Houston Rockets

WhiteSoxGod
04-30-2013, 05:54 AM
Why Dwight Howard will Sign with the Houston Rockets

The two teams that seem most likely to land Howard long-term are his current team, the Lakers, and the team that would most love to have him, the Houston Rockets. First, The Lakers have been swept in the opening round of the playoffs for the first time since 1967. Kobe is probably not going to come back for next season and even if he does, will he be the Kobe we know, especially at his age. Steve Nash has declining skills but is still getting handsomely rewarded. Is D'Antoni the coach that can maximize Howard's value? We all have seen when Dwight is at odds with his coach. We just heard Dwight Howard call this season "a nightmare that he couldn't wake up from." The Lakers are overtaxed and will be writing a big luxury tax bill. If they continue to stay in the luxury tax territory after next season it will be worse. The Lakers have little chance of improvement and development. They have very few draft picks in the future and the lack to use the majority of the exceptions or sign-and-trades. The Lakers future is at-best, uncertain.

The Rockets, however, could have the cap space to sign him and they offer arguably the best supporting cast to put around him. James Harden has emerged as one of the best shooting guards in the NBA, Chandler Parsons is one of the most underrated players and is the ultimate X-factor, and Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik have been solid this season.

They have beaten OKC, albeit in a weakened state (though you could say San Antonio was just as vulnerable), in a playoff series. Lakers, as mentioned, were swept. The Rockets have even had a close series. They could be tied 2-2 if a lucky bounce on a 3-point shot by Durant doesn't happen. The last 3 games have bee decided by 8 points TOTAL.

The arguments for the Lakers are much more straightforward. First and foremost, they are the Lakers, the gold standard of basketball around the world, the most popular NBA team of all time. Playing for the Lakers means playing in the brightest spotlight in a world of bright spotlights, and that is not something to be walked away from lightly. And then there’s the money factor. On the surface the Lakers can pay Howard quite a bit more money than anyone else, but in the case of the Rockets, that’s not quite true, all things considered.

Here are the salary comparisons, thanks to HOOPSWORLD’s Eric Pincus:

Approximate Yearly Salary with the Lakers:

Year 1: $20,513,178.00
Year 2: $22,051,666.35
Year 3: $23,590,154.70
Year 4: $25,128,643.05
Year 5: $26,667,131.40

TOTAL: $117,950,773.50

Approximate Yearly Salary with the Rockets (or any other team):

$20,513,178.00
$21,436,271.01
$22,359,364.02
$23,282,457.03

TOTAL: $87,591,270.06

Yes, when looking at the numbers alone, the Lakers clearly have the advantage over any other team looking to lure him away. In the case of a Texas team like Houston, however, there are some significant factors that have to be considered. Texas has no state income tax, and for someone making better than $20 million a year, that’s a huge consideration. Just look at how the California income tax breaks down over the first four years of the contract:

Year 1: $1,075,666.03
Year 2: $1,156,340.98
Year 3: 1,237,015.93
Year 4: 1,317,690.88

If we look at the first four years of the contract, Howard would make $3,692,371.44 more with the Lakers than he would with the Rockets. Adjusting that number for California’s state income tax, however, Howard would actually make $1,094, 342.38 more as a Rocket playing the majority of his games in a state with no income tax because he would save $4,786,713.82 in taxes.

As for the fifth year, the Lakers certainly have an advantage in being able to offer Dwight more long-term security, but unless he suffers a career-ending injury he is going to sign a contract after this one, meaning he will get paid for that fifth year wherever he plays. He would most likely have an opt-out, anyway, meaning the fifth year is not really a major bargaining point, again, barring injury. For what it’s worth, Howard would pay $1,398,365.83 in state income tax in California if he were to play out the end of that deal.

The other factor involves where games are played. NBA players pay 1/82nd of their income tax to the states where they play, providing those states have state income tax. As a member of the Rockets, Howard would play all of his home games and the highest possible number of his away games in states with no income tax. Texas is obvious, with the San Antonio Spurs and Dallas Mavericks in the same division, but there are also two games in Tennessee and two games in Florida, the other NBA states without income tax for a total of 49 games each season. As a Laker, Howard would only play ten games in those states.

The comparison doesn’t end with state income tax, however; the cost of living must be considered, as well. Manhattan Beach is the place to live in LA, and high end houses in that posh part of California runs $1,101 per square foot. How does that compare to, say, The Woodlands in Houston, the correspondingly cool place to live? A high end house in The Woodlands would run just $108.00 per square foot, or roughly one-tenth the cost of its counterpart in Manhattan Beach. Additionally, the salary indicator based on cost of living demonstrates that in order to make the equivalent of $20 million in Houston you have to make $30,330,020 to live comparably in Los Angeles.

That’s a staggering difference!

The other argument that people like to make in favor of the Lakers is that Howard could potentially make a great deal more money through endorsements in Los Angeles than he could elsewhere, and while there might be a little bit of truth to that, it’s not as big as people think. The national brands like adidas will find him wherever he is, like they found him in Orlando. The smaller local endorsements are just as plentiful in Houston as they are in Los Angeles, and again, no state income tax comes out of the Houston deals. Additionally, a company looking for a Lakers endorsement are still going to call Kobe Bryant first; in Houston, Dwight would own the space. He would also get to spend time working with and learning from Hakeem Olajuwon, who still calls Houston home.

Howard could enjoy success in Houston and still get paid. There's less uncertainty. Morey proves he will always look to improve the team, as Kuchak and Buss will do but as I said their hands are a little tied. We will see but it looks good for the Rockets.

LakersIn5
04-30-2013, 06:12 AM
lets all just wait and see

fredv
04-30-2013, 06:34 AM
Very slim chance IMO. And this is coming from a Rockets fan.

However, the mere idea of signing Dwight and trading Asik+Picks/T-Rob for LMA just gets me oh so excited.

That or moving Asik+Lin for a CP3...

ambisme56
04-30-2013, 06:59 AM
The other team I would look at would be the Golden State Warriors. They have the perfect group of guys for Howard to play around, and the perfect coach. Curry, Thompson, Barnes, Lee, and Howard would be a great starting 5, probably best all around starting 5 in the league.

These players are on the books next year but all are for player options.
Richard Jefferson @ $11,046,000-
- I think he would waive his 1 yr player option for a 3yr/14M offer)
- Would save Golden State 6.45M next year.

- Andris Biedrins @ $9,000,000
- Carl Landry @ $4,000,000
- Brandon Rush @ $4,000,000

Then you could probably trade Andrew Bogut on his last year of his deal @ $14,200,000.

Raidaz4Life
04-30-2013, 07:10 AM
I honestly believe Dwight will be back in the P&G next season. Thats not to say that I necessarily want that, just what I think.

Jenceman
04-30-2013, 07:19 AM
Endorsements in LA absolutely destroy any endorsement money he would get in Houston. Shatters your argument right there.

Jenceman
04-30-2013, 07:23 AM
And seriously, comparing the HOU- OKC series with the SA- LAL series? Please. We had a d-league starting back court. Starting SG, Starting PG, Back-up PG, Back-up SG, and starting SF all out for various games. It's just a stupid comparison. You can do better than that. Let's wonder how HOU would do without James Harden, Jeremy Lin, Patrick Beverly, Chandler Parsons, and James Anderson against the Thunder, then we'll talk.

****ing Goudelock was signed right before the last game of the regular season and he started, STARTED games 3 and 4.

Iron24th
04-30-2013, 07:54 AM
Kobe is probably not going to come back

I stopped reading there.

fredv
04-30-2013, 08:23 AM
Endorsements in LA absolutely destroy any endorsement money he would get in Houston. Shatters your argument right there.

Not really, Houston has strong ties in Asia and is a big market as well. Asians are crazy about the Rockets.

benzni
04-30-2013, 08:44 AM
Dwight Howad Asian Supasta

tbomlad
04-30-2013, 08:52 AM

Not true. In today's world of the internet and all the social media sites this no longer holds true. For it to matter anymore the big market also has to be a championship caliber team for it to make a difference and that's not the Lakers (with Howard). Playing for a smaller market that's a championship team will get you more endorsements than playing for an average/below average big market team.

KobeOwnSU
04-30-2013, 08:53 AM
Why can't we just wait and let him make a decision?

GThawks
04-30-2013, 09:06 AM
Coming back home to Atlanta.

PG: Jeff Teague
SG: Lou Williams
SF: Josh Smith
PF: Al Horford
C: Dwight Howard

Shortys4711
04-30-2013, 09:12 AM
Nice sig except I think I would take kd's 30 40 points a game over delfino's little dunk :p

FYL_McVeezy
04-30-2013, 09:30 AM
Isn't the difference in what he can get from Hou (or another team) vs what LAL could give him a moot point?

I'm sure the Lakers would be more than willing to facilitate a sign and trade if D12 decides he wants to sign elsewhere.

He would then get the 117 mil, plus the team of his choice...

KingstonHawke
04-30-2013, 09:32 AM
I think the extra money will be the deciding factor. He'll stay with the Lakers even though he probably won't have the best chance at a title in LA. LA isn't a death sentence by any means though. Being the face of that franchise, with that TV deal, is huge. And if they move Pau for someone more pick and roll friendly, that's still a playoff team with Nash and Howard running D'Antoni's system.

Houston's biggest mistake was signing Aski and Lin to those deals. I said it from the beginning. You just can not justify paying those guys a combined 30 mil at any single point in time. Now they have to move at least Lin, but realistically both if they want to be competitive. Once they whiff on Howard, I think they should trade the two for Stoudmire. His contract would actually save them money over time. And he's better suited to play center in the Rockets pick and roll heavy system than doing anything that involves including him and Carmelo.

Honestly, I still think the Rockets should target Stoudmire even if they don't whiff on Howard.

blahblahyoutoo
04-30-2013, 09:36 AM
The Rockets, however, could have the cap space to sign him and they offer arguably the best supporting cast to put around him. James Harden has emerged as one of the best shooting guards in the NBA, Chandler Parsons is one of the most underrated players and is the ultimate X-factor, and Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik have been solid this season.

lol.
Lin being out is the reason they won the game.

and your post postulates that dwight is chasing $, which I don't know if that's his #1 priority.

mightybosstone
04-30-2013, 09:48 AM
And seriously, comparing the HOU- OKC series with the SA- LAL series? Please. We had a d-league starting back court. Starting SG, Starting PG, Back-up PG, Back-up SG, and starting SF all out for various games. It's just a stupid comparison. You can do better than that. Let's wonder how HOU would do without James Harden, Jeremy Lin, Patrick Beverly, Chandler Parsons, and James Anderson against the Thunder, then we'll talk.

****ing Goudelock was signed right before the last game of the regular season and he started, STARTED games 3 and 4.

That has more to do with the Lakers' poor planning and poor depth than it has to do with bad luck. Their bench was already one of the thinnest in the league before Nash and Kobe got hurt, and if most of your team is 30+, you should have planned for that better with solid depth. The Lakers didn't and they paid for it.

Snakeyestx
04-30-2013, 09:50 AM
This is an interesting case you present, but the one thing I'd have to disagree with is Lin.

He's been solidly "Linconsistent" all season.

mightybosstone
04-30-2013, 09:51 AM
I think WSG makes some good points, but I still think he's more than likely to sign with the Lakers. I do, however, think the chances of him leaving have improved. When they were streaking and Kobe was healthy, I would have put the odds of him coming back at 80/20. Now I'm thinking it's more like 60/40. And if he does decide to leave, I think Houston will be the most attractive destination on paper.

Dwight is incredibly fickle, though, and I wouldn't be surprised by anything he does. Today he may be thinking Houston, tomorrow he could be thinking Dallas and by Thursday he'll be positive he's staying in LA. I won't believe anything until he puts ink on the dotted line and actually signs with a team.

alexander_37
04-30-2013, 09:57 AM

That's what you get with players who are 35+ years old .....

alexander_37
04-30-2013, 10:03 AM
wrong thread.

Hellcrooner
04-30-2013, 11:18 AM
Hes coming to play to Barcelona in the euroleague.

Yep, im playing the blind irrealistic homer game too.

:rolleyes:

Would you leave 25 million dollars on the table?

My ***.

sep11ie
04-30-2013, 11:42 AM

Guess what, he'd be stuck playing with that same back court next season too.

John Walls Era
04-30-2013, 12:15 PM
You forgot to add "no Kobe".

Stinkyoutsider
04-30-2013, 12:57 PM
I would normally agree with him choosing the Rockets this offseason. He would be the number 1 option for Kevin Mchale with Harden facilitating offensively. And defensively, he would still have freedom to guard the paint with a solid defensive team. But, we're talking about Dwight Howard here (and his mindset)...

I'm not sure what he's going to do after he said last season was a nightmare. We all know he's not interested in being number 2 and not getting the ball.

But I think he has more aspirations than just making the NBA salary. He wants to be bigger than life. Both clubs are known internationally but I think the Lakers brand stretches deep into Europe as well as Asia (thanks to Kobe and Shaq). Howard also wants to be an entertainer off the court too so I think looking at all these things, I think he chooses the Lakers.

torocan
04-30-2013, 02:23 PM
Dwight is incredibly fickle, though, and I wouldn't be surprised by anything he does. Today he may be thinking Houston, tomorrow he could be thinking Dallas and by Thursday he'll be positive he's staying in LA. I won't believe anything until he puts ink on the dotted line and actually signs with a team.

This.

I wouldn't be surprised if he quits basketball and joins a monastery. Or signs with the Bobcats. Not sure which would be worse. :p

If history has taught us anything, it's that Nobody knows what Dwight is going to do... including Dwight.

Lakers? Rockets? Russia? Who the heck knows?

lol, please
04-30-2013, 02:27 PM
If by Houston Rockets you mean Golden State Warriors, then I agree.

Chitownhero1992
04-30-2013, 02:31 PM
My gut tells me he will stay in LA, more money and it will be his team in the next year or two. I want to say that he'll end up in Houston most likely forming a big three with Smith and Harden.

But I wouldn't put it past him to team up with say Atlanta with Smith and Horford...or somewhere else with Smith and Paul, etc...

GThawks
04-30-2013, 03:40 PM
I think WSG makes some good points, but I still think he's more than likely to sign with the Lakers. I do, however, think the chances of him leaving have improved. When they were streaking and Kobe was healthy, I would have put the odds of him coming back at 80/20. Now I'm thinking it's more like 60/40. And if he does decide to leave, I think Houston will be the most attractive destination on paper.

No Hawks would be just an attractive option. He could come home and play with his buddies Josh Smith(barring we sign him) and Lou Williams. We still have Horford and could either resign Teague or sign Paul(wishful thinking). We have enough room to sign Smith, Paul and Howard during the offseason.

WAYNEBO
04-30-2013, 05:05 PM

However, the mere idea of signing Dwight and trading Asik+Picks/T-Rob for LMA just gets me oh so excited.

That is really funny... LMAO.

OceanSpray
04-30-2013, 05:08 PM
Requote if you didn't read it

WAYNEBO
04-30-2013, 05:09 PM
I'm not a Hawks fan, but would love to see that team pull it off. ATL has always fielded a competitive team with nothing to show at the next level.

D12 w/ JSmoove and Horford with Teague and (hate to even jinx it) signing J-SWISH to 8-10mil/yr. Lou Williams, Korver, Devin Harris and Mack off the bench.

SteBO
04-30-2013, 05:13 PM
I personally think Dwight should go Chicago. He would make that arguably the best defense the NBA has ever seen, and would really help Rose out a lot offensively. Then all they'd have to do is sign spot-up shooters and there you go, a championship level team.

OceanSpray
04-30-2013, 05:17 PM
I personally think Dwight should go Chicago. He would make that arguably the best defense the NBA has ever seen, and would really help Rose out a lot offensively. Then all they'd have to do is sign spot-up shooters and there you go, a championship level team.

What's Noah going to do? Noah was a top 5 center and I'd even have him over Dwight this season.

SteBO
04-30-2013, 05:25 PM
What's Noah going to do? Noah was a top 5 center and I'd even have him over Dwight this season.
Just pure speculation and opinion on my part man....realistically, Houston is far from a bad option but I still don't see him leaving LA.

RLundi
04-30-2013, 06:14 PM
Good write-up. I agree with everything but I can't see Dwight leaving LA for some reason. Whoever said Chicago is spot on. If they could amnesty Boozer or Noah and move some contracts, the Bulls would instantly become a threat against Miami. But idk how the cap situation looks or if any of that is even remotely feasible. Would be beast though.

Slug3
04-30-2013, 06:24 PM
Howard would pay taxes for Texas on games in Texas. Anything outside the state he needs to pay that state tax.

Tony_Starks
04-30-2013, 06:27 PM

Pretty much. I've never seen any Cliff Paul commercials when CP3 was in NO.

So basically what it boils down to is you want Dwight to take less money, leave Los Angeles market and perks, and go to a team where he still is going to be the second (or possibly third with Parsons emerging) option and get bounced in the playoffs? Not to mention throw in the way he left his last game in LA, you really expect him to leave on that note?

Ok sure.......

RLundi
04-30-2013, 07:33 PM
Pretty much. I've never seen any Cliff Paul commercials when CP3 was in NO.

So basically what it boils down to is you want Dwight to take less money, leave Los Angeles market and perks, and go to a team where he still is going to be the second (or possibly third with Parsons emerging) option and get bounced in the playoffs? Not to mention throw in the way he left his last game in LA, you really expect him to leave on that note?

Ok sure.......

Cliff Paul commercials, really? That's your smoking gun? Sheesh.

And Houston with Dwight is a much better team that LA with Dwight.

fredv
04-30-2013, 07:34 PM
That is really funny... LMAO.

If CP3 ask's for a S&T they'd be lucky to get Asik+Lin, thats what I meant. Obviously it wouldn't be a fair trade, but then again, what S&T's have?

sep11ie
04-30-2013, 07:46 PM
Last time I checked Kevin Durant was doing pretty good on endorsements in a small market.

fishedz
04-30-2013, 07:55 PM
D12 can GTFO of LA

We don't need that Dbag

We breed champions, not chumps.

Teeboy1487
04-30-2013, 08:03 PM
If Dwight leaves, I honestly would not be disappointed. The Lakers are screwed anyway for the near future with or without Dwight. It's time to rebuild for once and start building a team through the draft and signing young talent for the future.

smiddy012
04-30-2013, 08:14 PM
What more could DH possibly do to look like an ***?

Personally I don't care where DH goes. But he's not returning to LA, mark my words.

Nats_vcu-Okc35
04-30-2013, 08:23 PM
Excellent break down, and I have long thought the number one option for Howard outside of L.A. was Houston financially.

I don't really see him leaving though. If they had missed the playoffs, with Kobe healthy down the stretch, I felt there was a real chance he could leave. I believe just by making the playoffs, with kobe injured, there is enough good coming out of a down year for the lakers, for him to come back.

Hardaway Here
04-30-2013, 08:57 PM
He might as well go to Houston some people saying he will go to LA solely for the money I think is a stupid reason. People act like the guy isn't already rich as hell and Houston has more then enough to give him a nice chunk of change as well as a good supporting cast. LA's supporting cast is non existent. So if he want to win and have money he might as well go to Houston.

shep33
04-30-2013, 09:28 PM
We'll see what happens. Either way, I don't see Houston or LAL winning a title next year with Howard. Might take another year for them to become contenders.

tp13baby
04-30-2013, 09:30 PM
lol at Dwight coming to the Rockets cause of Lin

sep11ie
04-30-2013, 09:45 PM
D12 can GTFO of LA

We don't need that Dbag

We breed champions, not chumps.

No, you BUY them.

NYKalltheway
04-30-2013, 09:45 PM
I think Atlanta is the ideal place for him if they keep Josh Smith, pack Marvin Williams (can they amnesty cut him) and go for CP3 even... :drool: On paper that team would look great and would make the East really strong again :D

DreamShaker
04-30-2013, 09:57 PM
I just don't see him leaving L.A. even if he hates it there. More money and less shame just staying put.

sep11ie
04-30-2013, 09:58 PM
I think Atlanta is the ideal place for him if they keep Josh Smith, pack Marvin Williams (can they amnesty cut him) and go for CP3 even... :drool: On paper that team would look great and would make the East really strong again :D

Isn't Marv on Utah?

Tony_Starks
04-30-2013, 10:06 PM

Dwight's has a lot of fam in ATL and supposedly he doesn't want to go back there for that reason.

The only thing that could entice him to go there would be to play with his boy Josh but it's a pretty good chance he won't even be there....

IndiansFan337
04-30-2013, 10:18 PM
LAL because of the money. They need to stand their ground and refuse to cater to him if he tries to demand a S&T.

I think he will re sign with LAL and not try to force the S&T. However, I do think 2014 Houston with Howard would be better than 2014 LAL with Howard. I don't think he wants to go through the backlash of switching teams again, but he would probably be better off short-term and long-term with Houston than LAL starting next season.

The pick and roll with Harden would be phenomenal with both of them constantly drawing defensive fouls. And Houston certainly has a slew of good 3 pt shooters to space the floor and force teams to think twice about double teaming Howard in the post. Right now LAL has no floor spacing unless Nash can get healthy and become more of a spot-up shooter. Jodie Meeks was supposed to help fill that role this year, but he was not at the level they needed at all.

houstonfan
04-30-2013, 10:35 PM

:facepalm: Marvin Williams is on Utah...

NYKalltheway
04-30-2013, 10:56 PM
Oh crap, meant another player :D :D
Louis Williams :D

lakerboy
04-30-2013, 11:04 PM
No, you BUY them.

Lol. You do realize that our owners aren't even the richest team in the world. They're just the best, sans Jim Buss

lakerboy
04-30-2013, 11:04 PM
LAL because of the money. They need to stand their ground and refuse to cater to him if he tries to demand a S&T.

I think he will re sign with LAL and not try to force the S&T. However, I do think 2014 Houston with Howard would be better than 2014 LAL with Howard. I don't think he wants to go through the backlash of switching teams again, but he would probably be better off short-term and long-term with Houston than LAL starting next season.

The pick and roll with Harden would be phenomenal with both of them constantly drawing defensive fouls. And Houston certainly has a slew of good 3 pt shooters to space the floor and force teams to think twice about double teaming Howard in the post. Right now LAL has no floor spacing unless Nash can get healthy and become more of a spot-up shooter. Jodie Meeks was supposed to help fill that role this year, but he was not at the level they needed at all.

You have no idea how bad of a pick and role player is Dwight Howard. He is really a low post player, not a pick and roll player.

Losoway
04-30-2013, 11:14 PM
I hate that lakers fans only argument about him staying is endorsement. HE HAS BEEN IN LA 1 SEASON ALREADY HASNT GOT ANY NEW ENDORSEMENT DEALS etc

houston or warriors book it

Avenged
04-30-2013, 11:20 PM
He can leave. If he stays, good. If he leaves, not losing sleep over it.

ThunderousDemon
04-30-2013, 11:31 PM
I hate that lakers fans only argument about him staying is endorsement. HE HAS BEEN IN LA 1 SEASON ALREADY HASNT GOT ANY NEW ENDORSEMENT DEALS etc

houston or warriors book it

:laugh2:

You're the last person I'd expect to make predictions.

As I recall, you predicted that LA had no chance at acquiring Howard and said he was going to the Nets.

"BOOK IT!"

"BOOK IT!"

"BOOK IT!"

"BOOK IT!"

WhiteSoxGod
05-01-2013, 12:14 AM
Why Dwight Howard will Sign with the Houston Rockets

The two teams that seem most likely to land Howard long-term are his current team, the Lakers, and the team that would most love to have him, the Houston Rockets. First, The Lakers have been swept in the opening round of the playoffs for the first time since 1967. Kobe is probably not going to come back for next season and even if he does, will he be the Kobe we know, especially at his age. Steve Nash has declining skills but is still getting handsomely rewarded. Is D'Antoni the coach that can maximize Howard's value? We all have seen when Dwight is at odds with his coach. We just heard Dwight Howard call this season "a nightmare that he couldn't wake up from." The Lakers are overtaxed and will be writing a big luxury tax bill. If they continue to stay in the luxury tax territory after next season it will be worse. The Lakers have little chance of improvement and development. They have very few draft picks in the future and the lack to use the majority of the exceptions or sign-and-trades. The Lakers future is at-best, uncertain.

They have beaten OKC, albeit in a weakened state (though you could say San Antonio was just as vulnerable), in a playoff series. Lakers, as mentioned, were swept. The Rockets have even had a close series. They could be tied 2-2 if a lucky bounce on a 3-point shot by Durant doesn't happen. The last 3 games have bee decided by 8 points TOTAL.

The arguments for the Lakers are much more straightforward. First and foremost, they are the Lakers, the gold standard of basketball around the world, the most popular NBA team of all time. Playing for the Lakers means playing in the brightest spotlight in a world of bright spotlights, and that is not something to be walked away from lightly. And then there’s the money factor. On the surface the Lakers can pay Howard quite a bit more money than anyone else, but in the case of the Rockets, that’s not quite true, all things considered.

Here are the salary comparisons, thanks to HOOPSWORLD’s Eric Pincus:

Approximate Yearly Salary with the Lakers:

Year 1: $20,513,178.00
Year 2: $22,051,666.35
Year 3: $23,590,154.70
Year 4: $25,128,643.05
Year 5: $26,667,131.40

TOTAL: $117,950,773.50

Approximate Yearly Salary with the Rockets (or any other team):

$20,513,178.00
$21,436,271.01
$22,359,364.02
$23,282,457.03

TOTAL: $87,591,270.06

Yes, when looking at the numbers alone, the Lakers clearly have the advantage over any other team looking to lure him away. In the case of a Texas team like Houston, however, there are some significant factors that have to be considered. Texas has no state income tax, and for someone making better than $20 million a year, that’s a huge consideration. Just look at how the California income tax breaks down over the first four years of the contract:

Year 1: $1,075,666.03
Year 2: $1,156,340.98
Year 3: 1,237,015.93
Year 4: 1,317,690.88

If we look at the first four years of the contract, Howard would make $3,692,371.44 more with the Lakers than he would with the Rockets. Adjusting that number for California’s state income tax, however, Howard would actually make $1,094,342.38 more as a Rocket playing the majority of his games in a state with no income tax because he would save $4,786,713.82 in taxes.

As for the fifth year, the Lakers certainly have an advantage in being able to offer Dwight more long-term security, but unless he suffers a career-ending injury he is going to sign a contract after this one, meaning he will get paid for that fifth year wherever he plays. He would most likely have an opt-out, anyway, meaning the fifth year is not really a major bargaining point, again, barring injury. For what it’s worth, Howard would pay $1,398,365.83 in state income tax in California if he were to play out the end of that deal.

The other factor involves where games are played. NBA players pay 1/82nd of their income tax to the states where they play, providing those states have state income tax. As a member of the Rockets, Howard would play all of his home games and the highest possible number of his away games in states with no income tax. Texas is obvious, with the San Antonio Spurs and Dallas Mavericks in the same division, but there are also two games in Tennessee and two games in Florida, the other NBA states without income tax for a total of 49 games each season. As a Laker, Howard would only play ten games in those states.

The comparison doesn’t end with state income tax, however; the cost of living must be considered, as well. Manhattan Beach is the place to live in LA, and high end houses in that posh part of California runs $1,101 per square foot. How does that compare to, say, The Woodlands in Houston, the correspondingly cool place to live? A high end house in The Woodlands would run just $108.00 per square foot, or roughly one-tenth the cost of its counterpart in Manhattan Beach. Additionally, the salary indicator based on cost of living demonstrates that in order to make the equivalent of $20 million in Houston you have to make $30,330,020 to live comparably in Los Angeles.

That’s a staggering difference!

The other argument that people like to make in favor of the Lakers is that Howard could potentially make a great deal more money through endorsements in Los Angeles than he could elsewhere, and while there might be a little bit of truth to that, it’s not as big as people think. The national brands like adidas will find him wherever he is, like they found him in Orlando. The smaller local endorsements are just as plentiful in Houston as they are in Los Angeles, and again, no state income tax comes out of the Houston deals. Additionally, a company looking for a Lakers endorsement are still going to call Kobe Bryant first; in Houston, Dwight would own the space. He would also get to spend time working with and learning from Hakeem Olajuwon, who still calls Houston home.

Howard could enjoy success in Houston and still get paid. There's less uncertainty. Morey proves he will always look to improve the team, as Kuchak and Buss will do but as I said their hands are a little tied. We will see but it looks good for the Rockets.

As I mentioned the state income tax affects that money too. The same deal in Texas is far more Lucrative. Houston is much larger than Oklahoma City and Durant gets a lot of endorsement deals. Houston has huge foreign market connections as well. Endorsement deals will not be the deciding factor here, in my opinion.

Howard would pay taxes for Texas on games in Texas. Anything outside the state he needs to pay that state tax.

Read what I posted about that:

If we look at the first four years of the contract, Howard would make $3,692,371.44 more with the Lakers than he would with the Rockets. Adjusting that number for California’s state income tax, however, Howard would actually make $1,094,342.38 more as a Rocket playing the majority of his games in a state with no income tax because he would save $4,786,713.82 in taxes.

LAcowBOMBER
05-01-2013, 12:28 AM
2 things that alway come up in this talk

1. You pay taxes based on where you actually play the game, so a game played in OKC, you pay the taxes for that game check to OKC

2. People do not understand how local endorsements work. You get WAY more money in LA for local endorsements due to how many people see them there. Local ads in New York and LA make you more money than anywhere else. Also being in LA specifically offers you more opportunities than Houston (movies, TV, music)

Also, seems like Dwight wants to be THE MAN on his team. That won't happen with Harden there or it will be a lot less clear whose team it is. If Dwight stays in LA that team is his in like 2 years, maybe 1

Guppyfighter
05-01-2013, 12:36 AM
Dwight will go to the Warriors.

WhiteSoxGod
05-01-2013, 12:41 AM

OK so I'm going to say this one more time to that argument please read why that does not matter:

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteSoxGod View Post

WhiteSoxGod
05-01-2013, 12:54 AM
2 things that alway come up in this talk

2. People do not understand how local endorsements work. You get WAY more money in LA for local endorsements due to how many people see them there. Local ads in New York and LA make you more money than anywhere else. Also being in LA specifically offers you more opportunities than Houston (movies, TV, music)

Well Houston is still in the top ten of media markets in the U.S. Oklahoma City is 32nd, Durant currently makes $14,482,840 in endorsement deals good for #2 in the NBA. How can this be, he's not in LA....preposterous right? Ha Ha not hardly.

James Harden, not the notable star that Dwight Howard is yet, already has $8,796,440 million per year in endorsement deals. Remember exposure in today's market is not hard because of the power of communication, twitter, the internet, and social media. And again tax rates affect this money. At $12 million in endorsements Dwight would get an extra $2 million if in Texas.

GThawks
05-01-2013, 12:57 AM
Dwight's has a lot of fam in ATL and supposedly he doesn't want to go back there for that reason.

The only thing that could entice him to go there would be to play with his boy Josh but it's a pretty good chance he won't even be there....

I doubt that is true at all.

Paul and Dwight have wanted to play together....Paul wanted to be drafted by Atlanta...Dwight could come home and play with Smith and Williams as well.

God I would kill for this lineup :D

PG: Chris Paul
SG: Louis Williams
SF: Josh Smith
PF: Al Horford

lol, please
05-01-2013, 02:07 AM
Dwight will go to the Warriors.

:clap:

WhiteSoxGod
05-01-2013, 04:01 AM
:clap:

Not likely lol

Jenceman
05-01-2013, 04:22 AM
That has more to do with the Lakers' poor planning and poor depth than it has to do with bad luck. Their bench was already one of the thinnest in the league before Nash and Kobe got hurt, and if most of your team is 30+, you should have planned for that better with solid depth. The Lakers didn't and they paid for it.

That's ****ing stupid. I'm sorry but this is just a stupid post. You don't plan for 5 (6 really counting Hill) of your top 8 rotation players to miss the series. No team would survive that.

Jenceman
05-01-2013, 04:27 AM
I'm honestly amazed at the stupidity of the Rocket's fans outside of DreamShaker. You don't plan for the entire starting backcourt and backup backcourt to be injured. Period. I don't care how "old" you are, that's just a stupid stupid argument.

c.c.
05-01-2013, 05:45 AM
I'm honestly amazed at the stupidity of the Rocket's fans outside of DreamShaker. You don't plan for the entire starting backcourt and backup backcourt to be injured. Period. I don't care how "old" you are, that's just a stupid stupid argument.

Really bruh?

Jenceman
05-01-2013, 06:08 AM
Really bruh?

Between the one's that have been mouthing off about how the Lakers should have somehow had a plan for missing 5/8ths of their rotation, then yeah, really bruh.

cahawk
05-01-2013, 09:55 AM
If kobe is not coming back, Howard should stay.
If not, Dwight would be wise to get away from kobe.

sunsfan88
05-01-2013, 10:15 AM

Whose fault is that the Lakers have old and wrinkly players will likely be injury prone for the rest of their career due to age?

Pierzynski4Prez
05-01-2013, 10:30 AM

I think this paragraph right here is a big reason why he'll stay in LA. I don't know Dwight obviously, but he comes off as a person who'd much rather live amongst the celebs, and in a place like Manhattan Beach over anywhere Houston has to offer.

robdesign13
05-01-2013, 11:11 AM
LA presents opportunities to players other markets do not.
That is all.

fishedz
05-01-2013, 11:19 AM
No, you BUY them.

Did we buy Magic? Worthy? Kobe? Shaq? Gasol? D12? Ok maybe Kareem... Technically he was a FA. Do not fault the ownership for running the best franchise in basketball the last 30 years. Buss created the money, created the market, and earned every right to spend money on contracts once he drafted, traded, or obtained players. To suggest he bought those rings is absurd. Those are not teams built with FA's bought and sold to LA. Give credit to West and Mitchslap.

Badluck33
05-01-2013, 11:32 AM
ATL, DALLAS and LA are the 3 legit destinations.

sep11ie
05-01-2013, 07:55 PM
Did we buy Magic? Worthy? Kobe? Shaq? Gasol? D12? Ok maybe Kareem... Technically he was a FA. Do not fault the ownership for running the best franchise in basketball the last 30 years. Buss created the money, created the market, and earned every right to spend money on contracts once he drafted, traded, or obtained players. To suggest he bought those rings is absurd. Those are not teams built with FA's bought and sold to LA. Give credit to West and Mitchslap.

How many of those players were drafted by the Lakers?

WhiteSoxGod
05-02-2013, 01:24 AM
I think this paragraph right here is a big reason why he'll stay in LA. I don't know Dwight obviously, but he comes off as a person who'd much rather live amongst the celebs, and in a place like Manhattan Beach over anywhere Houston has to offer.

Yeah because there are no stars that live in Houston. :rolleyes: You act like L.A. is a kingdom and Houston is a swamp....something tells me you have never been to Houston.

Pierzynski4Prez
05-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Yeah because there are no stars that live in Houston. :rolleyes: You act like L.A. is a kingdom and Houston is a swamp....something tells me you have never been to Houston.

Something tells me I didn't say anything that you just said I did. Good one.

kobe4thewinbang
05-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Why I don't care:

1st Round vs San Antonio Spurs

17.7 points per game
10.8 rebounds per game
4.4 fouls per game

With no Kobe Bryant, that's the best he could do? Far from being a difference maker at this stage in his career.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROg2cr72pKQ

We've had better, and we can get better than Dwightmare.

SouthSideRookie
05-02-2013, 12:11 PM
That is all.

you mean that's not Kevin Durant I keep seeing on the Sprint and Gatorade commercials all the time :confused:

FOBolous
05-02-2013, 12:18 PM
That is all.

Houston has unique access to the emerging markets in Asia of which no other teams in the NBA does. That is all.

you mean that's not Kevin Durant I keep seeing on the Sprint and Gatorade commercials all the time :confused:

apparently not. because only LA players get endorsement deals :rolleyes:

FOBolous
05-02-2013, 12:22 PM
ATL, DALLAS and LA are the 3 legit destinations.

ATL doesn't have the cap space to sign him. LA is old and they suck. If he stays in LA, he would waste 1 to 2 years of his limited prime years waiting for the Lakers to "reload." If he goes to Dallas, he would be in the same situation as he is in LA...a team filled with old, aging players. In fact, he'll be in a worse situation in Dallas, because Dallas' old aging players are worse than LA's.

if winning is Dwight Howard's #1 priority, Houston makes the most sense. if money is his #1 priority, he should stay in LA. to think he would go to ATL or Dallas is just dumb.

NYKalltheway
05-02-2013, 01:16 PM
Atlanta has 40m in cap space...

AIRMAR72
05-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Atlanta has 40m in cap space...

correct

Pistol_Pete
05-02-2013, 02:10 PM
There's a lot of weird stuff in this thread. To address some of them;
1) I think Kobe is 99.9% playing next year, I'm almost inclined to say 100%. On top of that I think he'll probably play until he becomes the NBA's leading scorer.
2) Trade Asik/Lin for Paul? I'm not sure I would take this trade if I were LA, even if I knew Paul was leaving. The contracts are too much in an odd way.
3) Asians love Houston? Maybe it's that China loves Yao and/or Taiwan loves Lin. I'm not sure Dwight would have the same effect, though he would almost certainly get a popularity bump of some sort.
4) Yes, absolutely sponsorships in LA are bigger, regardless of social media.

Here's the problem with Dwight though. He wants the money, which only LA can give him. He wants the big city, which LAL/LAC/BKLYN/NYK/CHI and maybe Boston, Washington, and Dallas could give (this also ties into with him wanting to be a huge brand). He wants to be the man, which Houston might be able to give. He says he wants a championship, which probably has an easier path on the West Coast. There's the problem. He wants it all, and he can't have it.

The Lakers are the team that can give him most of what he wants. I think he probably stil wants Brooklyn, but that's so messed up there's almost 0% chance of that happening. Houston is a great option, and while I think LA offers more of what he seemingly wants, I think he'd rather not be compared to Shaq/Wilt/Kareem/etc or play with Kobe, so Houston is a good choice.

FOBolous
05-02-2013, 02:26 PM
There's a lot of weird stuff in this thread. To address some of them;
1) I think Kobe is 99.9% playing next year, I'm almost inclined to say 100%. On top of that I think he'll probably play until he becomes the NBA's leading scorer.
2) Trade Asik/Lin for Paul? I'm not sure I would take this trade if I were LA, even if I knew Paul was leaving. The contracts are too much in an odd way.
3) Asians love Houston? Maybe it's that China loves Yao and/or Taiwan loves Lin. I'm not sure Dwight would have the same effect, though he would almost certainly get a popularity bump of some sort.
4) Yes, absolutely sponsorships in LA are bigger, regardless of social media.

Here's the problem with Dwight though. He wants the money, which only LA can give him. He wants the big city, which LAL/LAC/BKLYN/NYK/CHI and maybe Boston, Washington, and Dallas could give (this also ties into with him wanting to be a huge brand). He wants to be the man, which Houston might be able to give. He says he wants a championship, which probably has an easier path on the West Coast. There's the problem. He wants it all, and he can't have it.

The Lakers are the team that can give him most of what he wants. I think he probably stil wants Brooklyn, but that's so messed up there's almost 0% chance of that happening. Houston is a great option, and while I think LA offers more of what he seemingly wants, I think he'd rather not be compared to Shaq/Wilt/Kareem/etc or play with Kobe, so Houston is a good choice.

you do realize Houston's the 4th largest city in the United States behind NYC, LA, an Chicago right?

Dade County
05-02-2013, 03:34 PM
I feel that Howard would only go to Houston if Cp3 goes their too...

Howard has no reason to trust any player on the rockets or their front office. This is why I think Howard or Cp3 would have to do a sign & trade with Houston; while the other just signs out right with them.

But I think the strongest dark horse team to be able to get Howard to jump on board, is OKC... Howard is about winning rings right now ( but yes, I know money comes first ). If he wants to be on the same foul calling level field as the HEAT, he needs to join KD or Rose ( if rose can be the same rose ).

So to me, if Howard really thinks about it, the strongest team for him to sign with ( sign and trade ) would be OKC out west. ( look at whats happening to OKC right now, you need 3 stars )

If he wants to go East... Then it's the bulls.

Outside the box thinking:

Quick question, can a NAB franchise enlist the help of companies that are interested in endorsing NBA star players, so that company can give that player like 200mil if they sign with that particular team? ( This will of course be helpful to all endorser involve )... Granted Endorsement Contracts.

What I am getting at, if the Nets owner can legally do something like this, then Howard is going to the Nets.

Lopez at the 4 and Howard playing Center.

gatkins11
05-02-2013, 05:36 PM
ATL doesn't have the cap space to sign him. LA is old and they suck. If he stays in LA, he would waste 1 to 2 years of his limited prime years waiting for the Lakers to "reload." If he goes to Dallas, he would be in the same situation as he is in LA...a team filled with old, aging players. In fact, he'll be in a worse situation in Dallas, because Dallas' old aging players are worse than LA's.

if winning is Dwight Howard's #1 priority, Houston makes the most sense. if money is his #1 priority, he should stay in LA. to think he would go to ATL or Dallas is just dumb.

Take off the glasses bro. You know nothing about Dallas' roster or their financial flexibility.

fredv
05-02-2013, 05:42 PM
I doubt he even knows where he wants to go. Still a lot of time and speculation. This is going to be a long summer..

Super.
05-02-2013, 06:40 PM

:laugh:

Surely you aren't serious?

KnicksorBust
05-02-2013, 06:48 PM
It's meant to be. Parsons-Asik for Dwight. I'm going to just keeping saying it until it happens.

alexander_37
05-02-2013, 06:51 PM
It's meant to be. Parsons-Asik for Dwight. I'm going to just keeping saying it until it happens.

No way, they could get him in FA.

SouthSideRookie
05-02-2013, 07:01 PM
Take off the glasses bro. You know nothing about Dallas' roster or their financial flexibility.

an aging Dirk, or 23 year old Harden. Ask yourself.

NBA-GMaster
05-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Honestly Let Dwight go to Nets for Lopez, Wallace and a pick..
Im OK with Asik..

NBA-GMaster
05-02-2013, 08:27 PM

It won't happen, Harden and Parsons are the only untouchable players in their roster..

alexander_37
05-02-2013, 09:21 PM
Honestly Let Dwight go to Nets for Lopez, Wallace and a pick..
Im OK with Asik..

Same we need a PF not a C, I am thinking they believe Smith, T-Rob, Jones, or Motie steps up.

KnicksorBust
05-02-2013, 10:25 PM
No way, they could get him in FA.

Why would he leave $30 million on the table? S&T...

It won't happen, Harden and Parsons are the only untouchable players in their roster..

Parsons as untouchable is comical.

KnicksorBust
05-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Same we need a PF not a C, I am thinking they believe Smith, T-Rob, Jones, or Motie steps up.

I can tell by the way none of those guys players significant minutes... Don't pull a mid 2000s Bulls or late 2000s Blazers and screw this up. They are 1-2 big moves from being title contenders.

alexander_37
05-02-2013, 11:58 PM
I can tell by the way none of those guys players significant minutes... Don't pull a mid 2000s Bulls or late 2000s Blazers and screw this up. They are 1-2 big moves from being title contenders.

It's not like I control it, I just feel like Morey will only go after Dwight if he is a FA.

WhiteSoxGod
05-03-2013, 02:27 AM
Why would he leave $30 million on the table? S&T...

Parsons as untouchable is comical.

Ok it's obvious many of you have never read the CBA yet presume enough to speak of things obviously erroneous.

I think it's fair to say, anyone that has read any of my posts on the subject can attest, I have preeminent knowledge when it comes to the CBA. This may be because my JD is in contracts with a specialization in sports/entertainment law.

That being said, in the new CBA it changes some rules regarding Sign-and-trades:

A Veteran Free Agent and his Prior Team may enter into a Player Contract pursuant to an agreement between the Prior Team and another Team concerning the signing and subsequent trade of such Contract, but only if:

(i) the Veteran Free Agent finished the prior Season on his Prior Team’s roster,

(ii) the Contract is for at least three (3) Seasons (excluding any Option Year) but no more than four (4) Seasons in length,

(iii) the Contract is not signed pursuant to the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Salary Exception, the Taxpayer Mid-Level Salary Exception or the Disabled Player Exception,

(iv) the first Season of the Contract is fully protected for lack of skill,

(v) the Contract is entered into prior to the first day of the Regular Season,

(vi) with respect to any 5th Year Eligible Player (as defined in Article II, Section 7) who met one of the 5th Year 30% Max Criteria (as defined in Article II, Section 7), the Contract may not provide the player with Salary (plus Unlikely Bonuses) in excess of 25% of the Salary Cap (as calculated pursuant to Article II, Section 7) in effect at the time the Contract is signed, and

(vii) the acquiring Team has Room for the player's Salary plus any Unlikely Bonuses provided for in the first Season of the Contract.

Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in the preceding sentence, commencing with the 2013-14 Salary Cap Year, a Team shall not be permitted to acquire a player pursuant to a Contract entered into in accordance with this Section 8(e)(1) if the Team’s Team Salary following the proposed transaction would exceed the Tax Level for such Salary Cap Year plus $4 million. If a Team acquires a player pursuant to this Section 8(e)(1), then the Team’s Team Salary at all times thereafter during the Salary Cap Year may not exceed the Team Level for such Salary Cap Year plus $4 million."

Alright, now this is a very important rule change. This provision must be read in connection with CBA Article VII, Section 5(C), which now restricts the maximum annual raise a signed-and-traded player can get to 4.5% per year, which is the same raise that a player can get if he just straight out signed a new contract with a new team. The prior version of the CBA allowed teams to re-sign such players for 3 or more seasons and give them the maximum amount of annual raises (which is 7.5% annually in the new CBA). Since NBA teams could sign their own free agents to an additional contract year and give them larger raises than other teams can, the CBA previously allowed players to earn longer and larger contracts in sign-and-trade transactions.

Accordingly, where previously unrestricted free agents would want to work with their former team to max out their earning potential (think Carlos Boozer when signed-and-traded to the Bulls), the players now have virtually no incentive to work with their former teams. In fact a player would be wise to not work with his former team so that his new team is able to keep all of its trade assets and thus help the new team be more competitive long-term.

At this point, with no financial incentive for a player to work on a sign-and-trade the only incentive a player has to work with his former team is to select his destination if his desired team has no salary cap room. But even in that case a team over the cap or close to it cannot complete sign-and-trades.

WhiteSoxGod
05-03-2013, 02:54 AM
The Rockets can sign Dwight and then turn Asik into a draft pick real easy freeing $8.3 million right there. Then the Rockets would be around $24.8 million in cap space (assuming the estimated salary cap is 70.8 million) far more than enough to sign Dwight Howard.

The Rockets could then turn around and trade young assets or couple them with Asik to bring another great player (Paul Millsap?) by trading Thomas Robinson ($3.527 mil salary), Terrence Jones ($1.552 mil salary), and/or Donatas Motiejunas ($1.433 million salary). Then if they don't pick up Delfino's option $3.000 mil salary The Rockets would be under the cap without those players by $34 million. Assuming they S&T for Millsap and Millsap is signed at an average of $10 mil per year AND the Rockets sign Dwight Howard at $20,513,178.00 for the first year the Rockets still sit at $3.5 million still.

The Rockets could then decide to keep Delfino and still be a little under a mil under the cap. The Rockets only have 1 2nd rd pick next year so no need to save salary for rookies. The Rockets would then also have all their exceptions available to them: Mid-level, Bi-annual, minimum salary exception. They could fill out their roster with those. And let's be real who wouldn't want to play with the Rockets roster then:

PF: Paul Millsap / Greg Smith
SF: Chandler Parsons / Carlos Delfino / James Anderson / Royce White
SG: James Harden / James Anderson / Carlos Delfino
PG: Jeremy Lin / Patrick Beverly / Aaron Brooks

So then the Rockets take those aforementioned exceptions and sign these players:

Mid-Level Exception: SG Tony Allen
Bi- Annual Exception : C Samuel Dalembert

the Rockets lineup heading into next year would be:

C: Dwight Howard / Samuel Dalembert
SF: Chandler Parsons / Carlos Delfino / Royce White
SG: James Harden / Tony Allen / James Anderson

That is definitely a title contending team

ThunderousDemon
05-03-2013, 03:23 AM
:yawn:

WhiteSoxGod
05-03-2013, 01:46 PM
:yawn:

I know it's been a while since you had nothing to enjoy in the NBA playoffs. You know with the Lakers getting their ***** stomped and swept right out of the playoffs. I'd be yawning to.

ThunderousDemon
05-03-2013, 02:09 PM
:sleep:

DillyDill
05-03-2013, 02:20 PM
I love speculating its fun as hell, but I hope Superman reups with the lakeshow

WhiteSoxGod
05-03-2013, 02:51 PM
I love speculating its fun as hell, but I hope Superman reups with the lakeshow

It would be hilarious as **** to see the Lakers in the lottery.

KnicksorBust
05-03-2013, 05:42 PM
The Rockets can sign Dwight and then turn Asik into a draft pick real easy freeing $8.3 million right there. Then the Rockets would be around $24.8 million in cap space (assuming the estimated salary cap is 70.8 million) far more than enough to sign Dwight Howard.

The Rockets could then turn around and trade young assets or couple them with Asik to bring another great player (Paul Millsap?) by trading Thomas Robinson ($3.527 mil salary), Terrence Jones ($1.552 mil salary), and/or Donatas Motiejunas ($1.433 million salary). Then if they don't pick up Delfino's option $3.000 mil salary The Rockets would be under the cap without those players by $34 million. Assuming they S&T for Millsap and Millsap is signed at an average of $10 mil per year AND the Rockets sign Dwight Howard at $20,513,178.00 for the first year the Rockets still sit at $3.5 million still.

The Rockets could then decide to keep Delfino and still be a little under a mil under the cap. The Rockets only have 1 2nd rd pick next year so no need to save salary for rookies. The Rockets would then also have all their exceptions available to them: Mid-level, Bi-annual, minimum salary exception. They could fill out their roster with those. And let's be real who wouldn't want to play with the Rockets roster then:

SF: Chandler Parsons / Carlos Delfino / James Anderson / Royce White
SG: James Harden / James Anderson / Carlos Delfino

So then the Rockets take those aforementioned exceptions and sign these players:

Mid-Level Exception: SG Tony Allen
Bi- Annual Exception : C Samuel Dalembert

the Rockets lineup heading into next year would be:

C: Dwight Howard / Samuel Dalembert
SF: Chandler Parsons / Carlos Delfino / Royce White
SG: James Harden / Tony Allen / James Anderson

That is definitely a title contending team

Fantasy booking at it's finest. I bet your NBA2K Rockets team is unstoppable too.