PDA

View Full Version : Jason Collins- "I'm gay"

Pages : [1] 2 3

Gators123
04-29-2013, 11:09 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/magazine/news/20130429/jason-collins-gay-nba-player/

Too long to post, so click the link.

kdspurman
04-29-2013, 11:14 AM
Good for him... Wonder if this inspires others to do the same.

JLynn943
04-29-2013, 11:15 AM
Great read.

That's great for him. It sucks that it took him 30+ years to be comfortable with who he is though.

Jarvo
04-29-2013, 11:16 AM
Atleast he cameout, Good for him.

tredigs
04-29-2013, 11:16 AM
Honestly did not know he was still in the NBA. Good for him though, at least one of 'em admits it.

NYKnickFanatic
04-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Not surprised. Bosh is next.

nycericanguy
04-29-2013, 11:18 AM

:laugh:

javsvt
04-29-2013, 11:21 AM

I just spit my coffee out, so true though.

MrfadeawayJB
04-29-2013, 11:21 AM
had a feeling he was

Jarvo
04-29-2013, 11:23 AM

Stop it, I knew someone will bring up Bosh. His wife is fine as **** he just act mad feminine.

Rivera

BklynKnicks3
richard jefferson is next.

justinnum1
04-29-2013, 11:28 AM
Good for him.

TO Rapz
04-29-2013, 11:31 AM

Lucky.
04-29-2013, 11:31 AM
:clap:

Randy West
04-29-2013, 11:33 AM
I can remember a time when someones sexuality never came into question, no one cared. It was more about who you were and what you had accomplished not who you slept with.

I wish society would get back to that.

nycericanguy
04-29-2013, 11:36 AM
I can remember a time when someones sexuality never came into question, no one cared. It was more about who you were and what you had accomplished not who you slept with.

um no, it was about having to hide it out of fear of losing everything if you came out...

D-Leethal
04-29-2013, 11:37 AM
richard jefferson is next.

LOL. These two were on the same team in NJ for years. I bet it got a little freaky in the lockeroom.

douglas
04-29-2013, 11:37 AM
If you were one of Jason Collins' teammates, would you feel weird if he found you attractive?

Giannis94
04-29-2013, 11:38 AM

And at the wedding/ceremony the song will be the Jurassic Park theme song or "Monster Mash"- a song normally done in plays of grade schoolers'.

Bravo95
04-29-2013, 11:39 AM
If this means we don't have to hear about Tebow for the rest of the day/week/month, JC is a hero to us all.

Good for him.

MrfadeawayJB
04-29-2013, 11:39 AM
If you were one of Jason Collins' teammates, would you feel weird if he found you attractive?

douglas y u no funny?

FlakeyFool
04-29-2013, 11:40 AM
Whos jason collins

Mr.ATLHawks
04-29-2013, 11:42 AM
This doesn't surprise me. Jason Collins always seemed to play the game gingerly. Roddy White and Julio Jones are next.

NickyNick
04-29-2013, 11:42 AM
jr smith, your turn

I knew that celebration was a lil off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rWwefptaIU

Heatcheck
04-29-2013, 11:43 AM

when exactly was this all accepting utopian society you speak of? im pretty sure things have been getting BETTER for gays over the years

TeamSeattle
04-29-2013, 11:43 AM
I guess I'm a bad person for not respecting someone for this. Keep it quiet and live a happy life.

lvlheaded
04-29-2013, 11:45 AM
Wait, you mean an athlete came out and the world didnt stop turning?! Ya dont say!

Good for Collins

Heatcheck
04-29-2013, 11:46 AM
they shouldnt have to keep it quiet. at the same time its about balance. i have as much a right to make fun of you for being absurdly gay, as i do those jersey shore clowns for being absurdly "straight" (if thats what u wanna call it).

Avenged
04-29-2013, 11:47 AM
LOL. Random. And Wilt was straight.

:yawn:

Celticsfan2007
04-29-2013, 11:48 AM
Good for him, he's a really solid NBA player.

I really wish we never traded him for Jordan "I think I'm Michael Jordan" Crawford.

nycericanguy
04-29-2013, 11:48 AM
they shouldnt have to keep it quiet. at the same time its about balance. i have as much a right to make fun of you for being absurdly gay, as i do those jersey shore clowns for being absurdly "macho" (if thats what u wanna call it).

agreed, i have nothing against Gay's,

But i reserve the right to make fun of moments like these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLeDhHrcO28

KniCks4LiFe
04-29-2013, 11:49 AM
Good for him!

Com'on Chris it's not too late. You're still a great basketball player but we know whats up in Miami. :cool:

tredigs
I guess I'm a bad person for not respecting someone for this. Keep it quiet and live a happy life.

The way I see it, it's probably hard to live a happy life if you're constantly hiding such a big secret. It's 2013, and plenty of dudes out there who are gay live a miserable life (or at least have a huge burden always on them) because they're scared to admit who they are. I'm sure a pro athlete doing this is a pretty big deal for those kids. That's why it's important to speak out for them. Ultimately I could care less, but you have to imagine it's monumental for those people. Takes nuts for Collins to admit it.

OKC
glad to see most people don't have a problem with it.
shows a lot of progress.

Melo15
Good for him. I'm sure it took a lot of courage for him to come out.

JNev
04-29-2013, 11:50 AM
:clap: Very brave

TeamSeattle
04-29-2013, 11:53 AM
Good for him!

Com'on Chris it's not too late. You're still a great basketball player but we know whats up in Miami. :cool:

:laugh2:

crazyru
04-29-2013, 11:58 AM

Not a bad person, but why should he?

Its not a disease.

Mudvayne91
04-29-2013, 11:59 AM
I'm surprisingly impressed with this forum. Hopefully only good will come of this.

AlexTmz2
04-29-2013, 12:05 PM
Good for him

ManningToTyree
04-29-2013, 12:09 PM
Good for him

RipCity32
04-29-2013, 12:16 PM
I don't agree with it but It's not my place to judge.I work with with a couple of gay guys who are cool but they also know that I don't want to hear anything about it which I respect.

Randy West
04-29-2013, 12:18 PM
when exactly was this all accepting utopian society you speak of? im pretty sure things have been getting BETTER for gays over the years

There is a difference between being accepting and having it not matter. People don't care who sleeps with who and why unless the media blows it all out of proportion.

DreamShaker
04-29-2013, 12:23 PM
I will say my views on homosexuality are not typical, but I am glad this thread has remained rrspectful. I had a friend come out to me last year, and it was important to me to let him know it did not change the way I viewed him, and that I would always be there for him and stick up for him if he ever got flack for it. He comes from a small religous town and had been really broken up about some of the treatment he recieved for it. We can disagree in this world without ripping each other apart, and I hope Mr. Collins is treated with respect.

CubsBullsBucs
04-29-2013, 12:23 PM
I don't think this counts as the first to come out. He's a nobody and looks like he's retired. While its a step in the right direction for others to come out, Jason Collins isn't even in the NBA. I have no idea who he is. Most likely trying to grab attention for someone to sign him. Not gonna give the guy credit when he's old, not active and realizes his days in the league are numbered, if not over already.

DreamShaker
04-29-2013, 12:25 PM
I don't think this counts as the first to come out. He's a nobody and looks like he's retired. While its a step in the right direction for others to come out, Jason Collins isn't even in the NBA. I have no idea who he is. Most likely trying to grab attention for someone to sign him. Not gonna give the guy credit when he's old, not active and realizes his days in the league are numbered, if not over already.

To be fair, it seems he has only felt confident about it for a few years. He can't help it that he's not an all-star.

TheNumber37
04-29-2013, 12:27 PM
Saw it on another site and came to see what the word is.

GREAT news for the NBA and for professional sports, props to Collins.

ManRam
04-29-2013, 12:29 PM
I'm surprisingly impressed with this forum. Hopefully only good will come of this.

impressed that 50% of the posts were making fun of Bosh? ;)

good for him. eventually these sorts of things won't be news-worthy, but we're still a ways away from that.

and to TeamMelo, why does he have to keep quiet? why should he have to keep it secret forever? that's just dumb.

Atticus Finch
04-29-2013, 12:29 PM

He played in almost 40 games in 2012-13, pretty far from being retired. And I'm sure a lot of people who have followed the NBA know who this guy is, I for sure did. He was the starting center on a team that went to the finals, that has to count for something.

4milesperday
04-29-2013, 12:30 PM
I guess we know who will be guarding Jason Collins when the Miami Heat visit the Wizards next season.

ManningToTyree
04-29-2013, 12:31 PM
You really don't know who he is? He has had a long career after a great college career. I'd say he is significant enough to "count"

ManRam
04-29-2013, 12:33 PM
You really don't know who he is? He has had a long career after a great college career. I'd say he is significant enough to "count"

yup. dude's been in the league for 12 years. i don't get why the talk of whether or not he "counts" matters, but he's been around for a long time.

CubsBullsBucs
04-29-2013, 12:36 PM
I've heard the name but then I saw he was black and the. I didn't recognize him. I guess it'll be interesting to see if anyone signs him. But that's why I'm saying Idk if it counts. The whole issue with this gay issue in prof sports is players don't come out until after they retire. Now we won't know if he isn't signed because he's old and isn't good or because he's gay. If bosh finally came out we couldsettle this, but until then Collins isn't going to be a great example.

J4KOP99
04-29-2013, 12:38 PM
good for him. I wish him the best.

Sly Guy
04-29-2013, 12:43 PM

I agree with you. I don't care. Heterosexuuals don't have to 'announce' their sexuality, not sure I see why homosexuals have to.

BklynKnicks3
04-29-2013, 12:44 PM
I dont get why people are making him up to be a hero. He did what amechi did. I have nothing against gay community. Its looks like he is just setting up a 2nd career like writing a book or going on tours. Now if he came out while he was in the middle of his career then it would have been brave. He knows he is basically on his way out

og knick
04-29-2013, 12:45 PM
jr smith, you're turn

I knew that celebration was a lil off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rWwefptaIU

You trying to get the pipe?

deaner
04-29-2013, 12:46 PM
Stop it, I knew someone will bring up Bosh. His wife is fine as **** he just act mad feminine.

She a gold digger.

naps
04-29-2013, 12:46 PM

Classy. This is nothing to joke about. Grow the **** up!

CubsBullsBucs
04-29-2013, 12:50 PM
I dont get why people are making him up to be a hero. He did what amechi did. I have nothing against gay community. Its looks like he is just setting up a 2nd career like writing a book or going on tours. Now if he came out while he was in the middle of his career then it would have been brave. He knows he is basically on his way out

EXACTLY what I. Just said. Agreed.

still1ballin
04-29-2013, 12:50 PM
Reading the thread title made me laugh!!

BklynKnicks3
04-29-2013, 12:51 PM
how long before Lebron says how good for him and i support him to get support of the gay community?

JayW_1023
04-29-2013, 12:51 PM

He's been in the Finals twice as the starting center.

TeamSeattle
04-29-2013, 12:52 PM
Ok. I can understand the 2nd part of your post. It's good. But he can stop being gay. You can stop stealing. You can stop lying. You can stop seeing other men. Just stop.

Agreed.

I think this whole notion of its not a choice was introduced by scientists finding some gene or people saying it happens in nature

THE GIPPER
04-29-2013, 12:53 PM
Ok. I can understand the 2nd part of your post. It's good. But he can stop being gay. You can stop stealing. You can stop lying. You can stop seeing other men. Just stop.

Tell the drug addict to "just stop" doing meth, tell the sex addict to "just stop" having sex, it's not simply a will power issue.

deaner
04-29-2013, 12:53 PM
I guess we know who will be guarding Jason Collins when the Miami Heat visit the Wizards next season.

Will Bosh be trying to box out or box in?

CubsBullsBucs
04-29-2013, 12:54 PM

He's been in the Finals twice as the starting center.
its more about the fact he's coming out now that he's done. But still technically active so he gets the cred for being the first. Come out ur in the finals, not years later, then ill respect him.

Trinidad
04-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Tell the drug addict to "just stop" doing meth, tell the sex addict to "just stop" having sex, it's not simply a will power issue.

Depends on how mentally strong the man.

TeamSeattle
04-29-2013, 12:55 PM

I was on drugs for awhile and I stopped by willpower alone, so you can't say its not possible.

CHANGO
04-29-2013, 12:56 PM
Great for him. Hope to see maturity in this cases.

Clippersfan86
04-29-2013, 01:02 PM
Takes a great deal of courage and strength to "come out" so I respect his honesty.

smith&wesson
04-29-2013, 01:02 PM
I wonder how all his old team mates feel,

all those nights in the locker rooms lol ahahahah he was looking at their junk for sure lol

BK-TY
04-29-2013, 01:03 PM
...he can stop being gay... You can stop seeing other men. Just stop.

Now you REALLY sound foolish and it's apparent that you don't know any homosexuals. Collins not having sex with men doesn't make him any straighter than you or me. It's just makes him a gay man who doesn't have sex.
You can't control who and what you're attracted to. I have gay family, friends and co-workers who all have said that.

Hawkeye15
04-29-2013, 01:04 PM
good for him. Glad someone finally came out.

Slug3
04-29-2013, 01:05 PM
how long before Lebron says how good for him and i support him to get support of the gay community?

You need to just give up on loving Lebron so much. It's annoying. Also Lebron have given up his social media items so I doubt he will say anything.

smith&wesson
04-29-2013, 01:05 PM
Takes a great deal of courage and strength to "come out" so I respect his honesty.

I don't walk around telling people I'm straight lol ..

Keep that to your self .. Is personally how I feel about it.

ManRam
04-29-2013, 01:06 PM

this is what we like to call ignorance.

QueensG_718
04-29-2013, 01:07 PM
W.e to this. Hey guys i like vagina! Wheres my support?!

ManRam
04-29-2013, 01:09 PM
W.e to this. Hey guys i like vagina! Wheres my support?!

nowhere, because that's the cultural norm. it's not frowned upon. we don't discriminate our kind for stupid reasons.

TeamSeattle
04-29-2013, 01:09 PM
Very ignorant statement.

Can a blind person stop being blind? Can someone who is deaf stop being deaf? The answer is no because thats the way most of them are born. If someone is gay then most likely they were born that way so they cant just stop.

People develop a liking for the same gender, this whole stuff about being born that way is nonsense

Trinidad
04-29-2013, 01:10 PM
Now you REALLY sound foolish and it's apparent that you don't know any homosexuals. Collins not having sex with men doesn't make him any straighter than you or me. It's just makes him a gay man who doesn't have sex.
You can't control who and what you're attracted to. I have gay family, friends and co-workers who all have said that.

It's not ignorant. Stop doing other guys. All that needs to be said.

Blue Seats
04-29-2013, 01:12 PM
I post on the Knicks board and am regularly saddened by the steady stream of homophobic slurs. I have to remember that when I was 19 years old I was the same way. I was ignorant. But we live in a different time now. My father was born in the south and grew up using denigrating racial epithets as a matter of course. He was ignorant. As times changed and he grew older he no longer did that, particularly as people of other backgrounds were more and more in his life. Thank God we live in an era where racial inequity is predominantly seen as unacceptable.

People who think that homophobic language and jokes are no big deal should do a little digging. A culture that doesn't see the level of prejudice and hate crime violence towards gays is not healthy. If you know someone who is gay, ask them what it is like to grow up in fear because you are who you are. If you don't know someone, then read a little bit.

Happy to read the comments that are informed and enlightened. PO'd to read the stupid ones. I try to remember that we've all been idiots at some point.

DR_1
04-29-2013, 01:12 PM

On a serious note though I have a ton of respect for Collins now.

jp611
04-29-2013, 01:13 PM

You're a joke

Heatcheck
04-29-2013, 01:13 PM
There is a difference between being accepting and having it not matter. People don't care who sleeps with who and why unless the media blows it all out of proportion.

now your comments are just confusing, you were talking about"back when" it supposedly didnt matter (i dont know how old you are buddy, but a mans sexuality has ALWAYS been a volatile subject, people have been getting disowned, beat up, and ostracized for loving **** for as long as i can remember). now your talking about present tense, and that unless the media blows it up no one cares, which im pretty sure they do, the media simply reports it to death

ztilzer31
04-29-2013, 01:15 PM

You're so right. Just like Jackie Robinson could stop being black. He just had to be all full of himself and announce to the world....

You don't know what you're talking about.

Heatcheck
ive never seen a guy walking around telling people he's gay so thats pretty irrelevant

Trinidad
You're a joke

Maybe you think so. I'm not tolerant of gay people. It's that simple. Jason Collins seems like a great guy by the way.

smith&wesson
04-29-2013, 01:16 PM

your just saying what a lot of us are thinking anyways ..

I think some people are really born gay though ... Like they actually born with more feminine genes, or in a woman's case masculine

ESaady
I've read some really dumb **** in here. Anyways, good for you Jason Collins!

jp611
Wait, so he was gay all this time and could control himself around other men at his place of work?

I was under the impression, from PSD of course, that gays can't control themselves and would be drooling over men and making sexual advances constantly

jp611
04-29-2013, 01:17 PM
your just saying what a lot of us are thinking anyways ..

I think some people are really born gay though ... Like they actually born with more feminine genes, or in a woman's case masculine

No, a lot of people aren't thinking that

Only the ignorant ones

Fool
04-29-2013, 01:17 PM
Now I remember why I never post in this forum anymore.

pebloemer
04-29-2013, 01:18 PM
I was surprised to hear he is the first openly gay athlete in the major professional sports. Good on him for having the courage to do it. Hopefully in the future a story like this will be less relevant.

I'm not sure there is anything more to say about this than that.

TeamSeattle
04-29-2013, 01:18 PM

Only the ignorant ones

How is it ignorant to say you can control yourself?

smith&wesson
04-29-2013, 01:21 PM

Only the ignorant ones

You don't know a lot of straight guys who are slightly homophobe ? Lol ...

Nothing wrong with being gay. Nothing wrong for a straight guy to be disgusted by it either. It's no different then a straight girl being grossed out by the thought of two chicks doing it. As long as your not hating on them by calling them derogatory terms I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

jp611
04-29-2013, 01:22 PM
I hate this place

Delrayhc
04-29-2013, 01:22 PM
Very ignorant statement.

Can a blind person stop being blind? Can someone who is deaf stop being deaf? The answer is no because thats the way most of them are born. If someone is gay then most likely they were born that way so they cant just stop.

People develop a liking for the same gender, this whole stuff about being born that way is nonsense

That's why i said in MOST cases not.ALL. Who the hell would CHOOSE a lifestyle that is subject to abuse , ridicule ect. This is why your argument is based off of pure ignorance.

DODGERS&LAKERS
04-29-2013, 01:23 PM
Oh man. I was at the playboy mansion about 4 years ago and it was a celebrity poker event. I was talking to him by the bar while all the other athletes were harrasing women. I have always told everyone what a nice guy he was to take time to talk to a nobody like me. Now it turns out he was just trying to f*@k me! Turns out I still got it! lol

TeamSeattle
04-29-2013, 01:24 PM
That's why i said in MOST cases not.ALL. Who the hell would CHOOSE a lifestyle that is subject to abuse , ridicule ect. This is why your argument is based off of pure ignorance.

Once again how is it based off pure ignorance? You keep calling it ignorance, but what are you basing your premise off of? Nature? The discovery of known genes?

Fool
04-29-2013, 01:27 PM
My ignore list is getting healthier today.

Heatcheck
04-29-2013, 01:27 PM
because its a matter of what you like, you dont control what you like. i like big *****, chocolate, and christmas lights. i didnt decide "hmmm...im going to be an *** man" i just see it and i like it. he shouldnt have to "control himself" from doing something that comes naturally to him and hurts absolutley no one.

Avenged
04-29-2013, 01:28 PM
23) Religion in threads & posts. Please avoid these discussions as they become heated and controversial.

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?256816-The-ProSportsDaily-Forum-Rules

I'd like to remind everyone ^^ that PSD does not allowed religion discussion due to exactly the responses this thread has gotten.

JLynn943
04-29-2013, 01:31 PM
Once again how is it based off pure ignorance? You keep calling it ignorance, but what are you basing your premise off of? Nature? The discovery of known genes?

Logic and personal accounts at the very least. Given the complex nature of genetics, not finding a root of it yet is not all that surprising. Otherwise, I believe there have been studies that have found some correlation with the levels of hormones in the womb, though I'm not entirely sure of that.

TeamSeattle
04-29-2013, 01:31 PM
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?256816-The-ProSportsDaily-Forum-Rules

I'd like to remind everyone ^^ that PSD does not allowed religion discussion due to exactly the responses this thread has gotten.

Ok just tell us and we'll get it...not everyone has heard this news yet tho.

LightUpTheHalo
04-29-2013, 01:34 PM
I think it's commendable for ANY basketball player to admit he's a ball hog.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Seriously though, I have no problem with it.

BcEuAbRsS
04-29-2013, 01:35 PM
Good for him. Homosexuality has been around since the existence of human life, yet there is a scripture that claims it is wrong. Pre-marital sex is wrong too, truly disgusted by you sinners.

JLynn943
04-29-2013, 01:36 PM
There went half of the thread, haha

DODGERS&LAKERS
04-29-2013, 01:36 PM
My grandfather told my father to not give his sons too much affection when we were babies because it would turn us gay. He did not want the boys to become fond of affection from other men. lol. The old days were not better due to a lack of information

Rick Rude
04-29-2013, 01:37 PM
Good for Jason, can't imagine having to feel like he's had to hide this, his whole life.

Delrayhc
04-29-2013, 01:38 PM

Your basing your argument off of a book that was based off of Sumerian text.

Rick Rude
04-29-2013, 01:38 PM
My grandfather told my father to not give his sons too much affection when we were babies because it would turn us gay. He did not want the boys to become fond of affection from other men. lol. The old days were not better due to a lack of information

Damn, people have some crazy ideas in there head.

CityofTreez
04-29-2013, 01:39 PM
I got the chance to watch the Collins twins live in Stanford. They were dope, and I think they played with Mark Madsen, who is gayer than can be.

I guess I'm happy he overcame being "gay", but "coming out" really is a joke in society. This idea to escape the oppression of being "gay" and being viewed upon as an equal is just demoralizing. I'm not judging him for it, just despise how homosexuals have to generalize themselves for herterosexuals just to feel "accepted" in society.

lol, please
04-29-2013, 01:40 PM

So gay people can't control who they are attracted to but straight people can? If a middle aged man is attracted to 7 year old girls or boys it's acceptable because you can't control who you are attracted to right? I would love to hear more.

Greet
04-29-2013, 01:41 PM
Oh man. I was at the playboy mansion about 4 years ago and it was a celebrity poker event. I was talking to him by the bar while all the other athletes were harrasing women. I have always told everyone what a nice guy he was to take time to talk to a nobody like me. Now it turns out he was just trying to f*@k me! Turns out I still got it! lol

Did your dads hurt you as a kid?

LakersA's49ers
04-29-2013, 01:41 PM
Mad respect for JC. Good for you my man

BcEuAbRsS
04-29-2013, 01:42 PM
So now we're are blaming homosexuals for wanting equal rights? Silly rabbits...

kobe4thewinbang
04-29-2013, 01:43 PM
I'd be gay if I was on the Wizards, too. :laugh:

(I expect to get flamed, but truck it.)

Oh, and I pooped earlier. I came out, too, of the bathroom that is. Accept me! Waaaah!

lol, please
04-29-2013, 01:45 PM
I got the chance to watch the Collins twins live in Stanford. They were dope, and I think they played with Mark Madsen, who is gayer than can be.

I guess I'm happy he overcame being "gay", but "coming out" really is a joke in society. This idea to escape the oppression of being "gay" and being viewed upon as an equal is just demoralizing. I'm not judging him for it, just despise how homosexuals have to generalize themselves for herterosexuals just to feel "accepted" in society.

It's a problem in society today. I despise many homosexuals as well, not because of their "choice" or "lifestyle" but because they are just another group looking for sympathy and benefits and loopholes, instead of as we would say in the military, "rangering up and driving on". Stop looking for excuses in life and live it to the best of your ability. I could fit into several minority groups if I wanted pity, I would rather consider myself a human being capable of what any other healthy human being is capable of and can make it without extra benefits, tissues, pats on the back, or anything of the sort. These days people literally look for ways they can fit into a demographic for their own benefit. It's disgusting.

Randy West
04-29-2013, 01:48 PM
now your comments are just confusing, you were talking about"back when" it supposedly didnt matter (i dont know how old you are buddy, but a mans sexuality has ALWAYS been a volatile subject, people have been getting disowned, beat up, and ostracized for loving **** for as long as i can remember). now your talking about present tense, and that unless the media blows it up no one cares, which im pretty sure they do, the media simply reports it to death

Have a look at this list

http://www.ranker.com/list/famous-gay-men-list-of-gay-men-throughout-history/famous-gay-and-lesbian

Does the fact that these men were gay diminish any of their accomplishments? Did being gay keep them from accomplishing the things that they did?

In this society in America it has only mattered to those who make a huge deal about it.

You were at one time judged on what you did not who you did.

OKC
04-29-2013, 01:48 PM
I just don't get why he had to announce it publicly.
I mean keep it quiet, nobody needs to know about it.
besides, it was so obvious.
we could all see that he's black. :D

in all seriousness, good for him and it seems like it was well received.:clap:

b@llhog24
04-29-2013, 01:49 PM
Lol

Mudvayne91

Hi Mac. Sorry to here about Timmy.

MonroeFAN
Hate to be a dick, but it just HAD to be one of the guys from that Nets team.

Quinnsanity
04-29-2013, 01:50 PM
Just out of curiosity (haven't gone through the whole thread) have any players current or former come out against this?

Mamba42
04-29-2013, 01:51 PM
Really liked the beginning of this thread, but it descended into ignorance with people saying somehow homosexuality is not normal. One look at history says its completely normal as homosexuality has been around as long as humans have been. Heterosexuals do not choose to be "straight" and homosexuals do not choose to be "gay". It's really not that difficult to comprehend.

For those of you thinking Jason Collins has come out because he wants attention or a new contract, that is completely off base. The reason it's a big deal that he is coming out is not that he wants to get attention but because he wants to inspire people who are scared to come out because of the supposed deviance of being gay. He is an NBA player who has the whole world watching. If he can do it, so can others.

At least 3/4 of the posters here are enlightened. Black people couldn't marry white people at one point in history too, and it was considered unnatural. Congrats to Jason for being so bold though.

JLynn943
04-29-2013, 01:52 PM
It's a problem in society today. I despise many homosexuals as well, not because of their "choice" or "lifestyle" but because they are just another group looking for sympathy and benefits and loopholes, instead of as we would say in the military, "rangering up and driving on". Stop looking for excuses in life and live it to the best of your ability. I could fit into several minority groups if I wanted pity, I would rather consider myself a human being capable of what any other healthy human being is capable of and can make it without extra benefits, tissues, pats on the back, or anything of the sort. These days people literally look for ways they can fit into a demographic for their own benefit. It's disgusting.

What a joke. Sympathy, benefits, and loopholes? Is that what we're calling wanting equal rights these days?

And who's looking for "excuses in life"? Excuses for what?

DODGERS&LAKERS
04-29-2013, 01:53 PM
This was not a big deal that Brittney Grainer came out. I wonder why its a big deal that a man came out?

blams
04-29-2013, 01:55 PM

What a joke. Sympathy, benefits, and loopholes? Is that what we're calling wanting equal rights these days?

Gay is one hundred percent normal. In 50-100 years redheads may be extinct.
Homosexuality is in about 10 percent of humans. Redheads are not too far from that. It isnt abnormal.

JLynn943
04-29-2013, 01:55 PM
This was not a big deal that Brittney Grainer came out. I wonder why its a big deal that a man came out?

It's an issue of masculinity and privilege. Females generally aren't as discriminated against for being gay simply because they don't have traditional masculine social expectations put upon them.

A man coming out (especially in a pro sport, where there is, hyper-masculinity) is just a bigger deal because it is more against the norms.

CityofTreez
04-29-2013, 01:56 PM

Yeah, lolphillies misunderstood my post.

I was showing how we (as herterosexuals) have given them principles to being "gay" in our society. Hence, admit you're gay by "coming out" and we will accept you as one of us. In reality, we could care less!

It's just us exploiting/oppressing them, just by them admitting they're different.

JLynn943
04-29-2013, 02:00 PM
Yeah, lolphillies misunderstood my post.

I was showing how we (as herterosexuals) have given them principles to being "gay" in our society. Hence, admit you're gay by "coming out" and we will accept you as one of us. In reality, we could care less!

It's just us exploiting/oppressing them, just by them admitting they're different.

Yeah, it's not really acceptance nor ideal when it's as conditional and ritualized as it is. Still an improvement though...

ManningToTyree
At least it remained respectful in here for a little while.

heyman321
I guess that gives passage for Derek Fisher to come out.

Bob_at_york
04-29-2013, 02:03 PM
I guess that gives passage for Derek Fisher to come out.

what makes you think he is gay?

LongWayFromHome
At least it remained respectful in here for a little while.

Some people just can't handle that other's are different from them.

ManRam
It's an issue of masculinity and privilege. Females generally aren't as discriminated against for being gay simply because they don't have traditional masculine social expectations put upon them.

A man coming out (especially in a pro sport, where there is, hyper-masculinity) is just a bigger deal because it is more against the norms.

male fantasy too.

it's hugely hypocritical, but those that are so against this tend to fall into the hypocrisy category anyways.

3RDASYSTEM
Wow this is the biggest breaking news ever

a black athlete comes out the closet

and just to think they already came out the closet in other entertainments of life,black white or brown no matter gender also

so now lets just add another black athlete to the already 75pct of gay(closet or open or bi) in Hollywood entertainment area, such ground breaking news in the 'sports' world for that matter

3RDASYSTEM
04-29-2013, 02:05 PM
I could post so many out the closet stories from actors to athletes to corp ceo's to politicians, this is just another part of the agenda to accept being 'gay'

sorry i'll pass for now and later, and anywhere in between

Kings Faithful
04-29-2013, 02:11 PM
Gay is one hundred percent normal. In 50-100 years redheads may be extinct.
Homosexuality is in about 10 percent of humans. Redheads are not too far from that. It isnt abnormal.

Your numbers are little off there, about 4%. I have no problem with gay people. I friends that are gay and I work with people that are gay. Every time I'm around them i treat them with respect and talk to them just like i talk to everyone else. I do have a problem when many of them proclaim how "effing stupid" religions are or how ignorant certain political leaders are and it many of the times it offends me and I have to sit there and take it, the discrimination roles are being reversed. I am completely for ending sub-human hate for homosexuals but you just don't see it in todays world like you did in the past. There is many other important issues to deal with but homosexual acceptance DOMINATES almost every other issue and I'm tired of hearing about it.

Kings Faithful
04-29-2013, 02:12 PM
male fantasy too.

it's hugely hypocritical, but those that are so against this tend to fall into the hypocrisy category anyways.

And this is the kind of crap that I'm talking about.

TeamSeattle
04-29-2013, 02:16 PM
Really liked the beginning of this thread, but it descended into ignorance with people saying somehow homosexuality is not normal. One look at history says its completely normal as homosexuality has been around as long as humans have been. Heterosexuals do not choose to be "straight" and homosexuals do not choose to be "gay". It's really not that difficult to comprehend.

For those of you thinking Jason Collins has come out because he wants attention or a new contract, that is completely off base. The reason it's a big deal that he is coming out is not that he wants to get attention but because he wants to inspire people who are scared to come out because of the supposed deviance of being gay. He is an NBA player who has the whole world watching. If he can do it, so can others.

At least 3/4 of the posters here are enlightened. Black people couldn't marry white people at one point in history too, and it was considered unnatural. Congrats to Jason for being so bold though.

Its just a difference of opinion and in no way says the people who agree are more enlightened/progressive than the individuals who don't share the same viewpoint.

JLynn943
04-29-2013, 02:17 PM
Your numbers are little off there, about 4%. I have no problem with gay people. I friends that are gay and I work with people that are gay. Every time I'm around them i treat them with respect and talk to them just like i talk to everyone else. I do have a problem when many of them proclaim how "effing stupid" religions are or how ignorant certain political leaders are and it many of the times it offends me and I have to sit there and take it, the discrimination roles are being reversed. I am completely for ending sub-human hate for homosexuals but you just don't see it in todays world like you did in the past. There is many other important issues to deal with but homosexual acceptance DOMINATES almost every other issue and I'm tired of hearing about it.

You're not being discriminated against (or even being hated) even slightly in that case. You're just hearing an opinion that differs from yours. Big difference.

ManRam
04-29-2013, 02:19 PM
You're not being discriminated against (or even being hated) even slightly in that case. You're just hearing an opinion that differs from yours. Big difference.

exactly.

ManRam
04-29-2013, 02:19 PM

exactly.

JLynn943
04-29-2013, 02:21 PM
Its just a difference of opinion and in no way says the people who agree are more enlightened/progressive than the individuals who don't share the same viewpoint.

I disagree. I think some people can and do recognize that society is not equal for gays, while others either are totally ignorant of that (ex: those who think there is no need for this to be news) or are biased against gays for one reason or another (plenty of that in here, too, with the religious arguments for example).

SpecialFNK
04-29-2013, 02:21 PM
I don't know this, but I would bet everything I own that there are people that decide to be gay/homosexual as a choice, rather than being gay/homosexual right from puberty.

I don't watch NBA as much as I used to. but I don't really think this is good news. nothing against someone being gay. but I bet this leads to negative things. what happens next season when Collins is playing tough up close on defense against someone who does not like him being so close and physical. Collins likely will not be doing so because he want this other guy, but the player he is defending could become very angry, and then the next thing you know there will be a fight. I'm not guessing maybe there will be a fight/confrontation, I'm just wondering how soon it will happen. you have to know it's going to happen.

TeamSeattle
04-29-2013, 02:27 PM
I disagree. I think some people can and do recognize that society is not equal for gays, while others either are totally ignorant of that (ex: those who think there is no need for this to be news) or are biased against gays for one reason or another (plenty of that in here, too, with the religious arguments for example).

I understand that but I find with tons of non-religious people just resort to calling people ignorant for people not sharing their viewpoints as if they don't know the arguments or information that they are forming their opinions on.

I have no problem with gays in general nor would I ever do anything against them but do believe its morally incorrect. America is still way more progressive in this issue than say some countries in the East, where they may be ostracized from the entire family, than say here where one parent might disown them but other family members have no problem with it at all.

ManningToTyree
04-29-2013, 02:27 PM
Who in their right mind would choose to be gay? It's such an easier life path to be straight. Who would subject themselves to potential discrimination by choice? The argument that people choose to be gay is irrational and lacks simple logic.

ewing
04-29-2013, 02:28 PM

I don't think everything as equal and i see no need for this too be news.

JLynn943
04-29-2013, 02:28 PM
I don't know this, but I would bet everything I own that there are people that decide to be gay/homosexual as a choice, rather than being gay/homosexual right from puberty.

I don't watch NBA as much as I used to. but I don't really think this is good news. nothing against someone being gay. but I bet this leads to negative things. what happens next season when Collins is playing tough up close on defense against someone who does not like him being so close and physical. Collins likely will not be doing so because he want this other guy, but the player he is defending could become very angry, and then the next thing you know there will be a fight. I'm not guessing maybe there will be a fight/confrontation, I'm just wondering how soon it will happen. you have to know it's going to happen.

I would say you're most likely right that there are at least some who choose it. It certainly isn't a logical choice though as they face discrimination for doing so. But, there are gay people who choose to live heterosexually and get married and have kids, too. That often ends up falling apart though and ultimately is unfair to the spouse and kid(s). My old boss is gay, but he got married and had a kid. Luckily, after he came out they're still close friends and the kid is fine, but it isn't always the case that it works out nicely. Just goes to show that you can live the life of what orientation you're not, but it probably won't last.

JLynn943
04-29-2013, 02:36 PM
I don't think everything as equal and i see no need for this too be news.

Well, why not then? I mean, I think that ideally this wouldn't have to be news, but I definitely think in the current state of America that it does.

TooL D/R/T
04-29-2013, 02:37 PM
:clap: I'm extremely proud of this man. We need more of this in the world for the younger kids who feel like they have something wrong with them. There is NOTHING wrong with gay people, and I find it hard to digest that they are still treated as such.

THE MTL
04-29-2013, 02:42 PM
Im actually not surprised by this.

ewing
04-29-2013, 02:43 PM
Well, why not then? I mean, I think that ideally this wouldn't have to be news, but I definitely think in the current state of America that it does.

B/c he is washed up, wasn't any good when he did play, and most people have no idea who he is. Its not like people don't think gays are capable of being athletes.

If he wants to share his story about dealing with his identity, sports culture, relationships with his teammates, etc i could see it being interesting to some and worth publishing but the fact that a washed up scrub is homosexual by itself is not new worthy.

He is a nobody , its not more news worthy then if i came out

rhymeratic
Some reporter needs to say "Chris Bosh, what are your thoughts on this?"

Tony_Starks
Wow. Not a huge shocker, he always seemed a little light in the loafers. I don't agree with the homosexual lifestyle whatsoever but everyone has a right to live however they please so if I was his teammate I'd just be like whatever man, more bad chicks for me.

I'm just waiting on the countdown for the GLAAD press conference because you know its coming....

corytwotimes
04-29-2013, 02:44 PM
saw dum N go mora we livin in the last days when u sheep think this is ok

ewing
04-29-2013, 02:45 PM
saw dum N go mora we livin in the last days when u sheep think this is ok

come again

Bob_at_york
04-29-2013, 02:48 PM
Some reporter needs to say "Chris Bosh, what are your thoughts on this?"

why do people keep bringing up Bosh?

I hope guys aren't bringing up other players names for no reason.

SpecialFNK
04-29-2013, 02:49 PM
I don't know anyone specifically who did this. but I imagine there are guys who chose to be gay, become friends with a girl, then can become sexual because the girl is more comfortable with them and know/think the guy isn't doing it just to get laid like other heterosexual guys.
it happens in movies/TV, so I imagine it happens in real life too.
there are certain places in the country where being gay isn't a big deal, so a guy who has made the decision to be gay isn't looked at in a negative way.

why is it that someone who does not agree with being gay because of their religion is ignorant/wrong? for some people in their religious beliefs, they don't believe being gay is right. I have no problem with that. that is what they believe. some people believe in Jesus, others do not. if someone does not believe in Jesus, people don't call them ignorant.

I imagine the Mike Wallace tweet was already discussed. he tweeted "all these beautiful women in the world and guys wanna mess with other guys SMH". I imagine a lot of people are going to say Wallace is wrong. I have no problem with what he said, that's his opinion.

ThunderousDemon
04-29-2013, 02:55 PM
I don't know anyone specifically who did this. but I imagine there are guys who chose to be gay, become friends with a girl, then can become sexual because the girl is more comfortable with them and know/think the guy isn't doing it just to get laid like other heterosexual guys.
there are certain places in the country where being gay isn't a big deal, so a guy who has made the decision to be gay isn't looked at in a negative way.

why is it that someone who does not agree with being gay because of their religion is ignorant/wrong? for some people in their religious beliefs, they don't believe being gay is right. I have no problem with that. that is what they believe. some people believe in Jesus, others do not. if someone does not believe in Jesus, people don't call them ignorant.

I imagine the Mike Wallace tweet was already discussed. he tweeted "all these beautiful women in the world and guys wanna mess with other guys SMH". I imagine a lot of people are going to say Wallace is wrong. I have no problem with what he said, that's his opinion.

There are so many things in the post I can use to argue with to tell you you're wrong, but I don't have the time. Someone else to should take a stab at it.

Clippersfan86
04-29-2013, 02:59 PM
So classy how NBA execs and players are handling this. Maybe the league isn't screwed morally afterall. All the big superstars in the league tweeted him support along with front office people and coaches. Sounds like he's a VERY well liked guy in general.

LeonFSU
04-29-2013, 03:03 PM
This guy has been a terrible NBA player for years. He needs to retire. But he says he want to keep playing so now if nobody signs him the NBA is probably homophobic. Or if I say I've always hated this guy because he is awful ill probably be called homophobic since he's gay.

SpecialFNK
04-29-2013, 03:05 PM
some people have strong religious beliefs. that is the way they live their life with what they believe in.
some people believe you have to be a virgin until marriage. is that wrong too?

show me in a rule book where it says being gay is right or wrong. I don't think it's right or wrong. I imagine it's the same as someone who does believe in God or someone who does not believe in God. I'm not strongly religious but I believe in God and Jesus. for those that do not believe in God at all, I have no problem with that. that's what they believe.

there are so many religious discussions that could go back and forth, but that's kind of getting off topic. even though being gay is not a big deal in today's world and there are going to be many supporting Jason Collins, I also think his life just got harder. there are now going to be more people who HATE him, even without knowing him. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets death threats, whether they are real or not.

I doubt you're going to get many in the NBA coming out against Collins. that's not the political thing to do, even for those who don't agree with it. if someone was to come out against Collins right now, they would get so much backlash. it would pretty much be stupid to make a negative comment towards Collins right now, even if one feels that way.

Clippersfan86
Bosh and Faried need to come out so we have bigger name guys coming out.

GiantsSwaGG

BklynKnicks3
Tonight on espn at 9pm Chris Bosh the descision. I had to lol. To be real thoe no1 should have the right to judge athletes outside of there respective sport. I dont respect lebron as far as him takin such a easy path to winning but as a man i will never judge him.

kdspurman
04-29-2013, 03:06 PM
Marc Jackson's thoughts-

Ethan Strauss ‏@SherwoodStrauss 7m
Jackson: "As a Christian man I have beliefs of what's right and what's wrong, that being said, I know Jason Collins, I know his family.."

Ethan Strauss ‏@SherwoodStrauss 6m
Jackson continued: "And (I'm) certainly praying for them at this time."

Ethan Strauss ‏@SherwoodStrauss 4m
Jackson, on whether Collins would be welcome as a Warrior: "If he had game, if he could help this basketball team."

Marcus Thompson ‏@gswscribe 19m
Jackson on if Jason Collins would be welcomed on GSW: "If he had game. If he could help this team. Right now, he can't help this team."

TeamSeattle
04-29-2013, 03:06 PM

This.

JerseyPalahniuk
04-29-2013, 03:08 PM
I dont respect lebron as far as him takin such a easy path to winning but as a man i will never judge him.

Solid comment.

Tony_Starks
04-29-2013, 03:08 PM
I don't know anyone specifically who
did this. but I imagine there are guys who chose to be gay, become friends with a girl, then can become sexual because the girl is more comfortable with them and know/think the guy isn't doing it just to get laid like other heterosexual guys.

In our society it is perfectly acceptable to be gay, promote or flaunt gay lifestyles, even teach children in school about being gay.

It is not acceptable however to not agree with homosexuality because of any moral, personal, or religious values. You will be viewed as "homophobic" or a "bigot."

BklynKnicks3
04-29-2013, 03:09 PM
thanks

TeamSeattle
04-29-2013, 03:10 PM
In our society it is perfectly acceptable to be gay, promote or flaunt gay lifestyles, even teach children in school about being gay.

It is not acceptable however to not agree with homosexuality because of any moral, personal, or religious values. You will be viewed as "homophobic" or a "bigot."

That is definitely not true. Only if you resort to violence, verbal threats, or outlandish speech are you labeled that way. You can be against it in a reasonable manner just like Mark Jackson did.

Big Zo
04-29-2013, 03:16 PM
Tonight on espn at 9pm Chris Bosh the descision. I had to lol. To be real thoe no1 should have the right to judge athletes outside of there respective sport. I dont respect lebron as far as him takin such a easy path to winning but as a man i will never judge him.

You keep referring to him as a "coward." That's judging his character. Nothing to do with his basketball abilities.

ManRam
04-29-2013, 03:19 PM
mark jackson says his stance on what is right and wrong is based on his religion.

must be how he decided to cheat on his wife i guess.

love hypocrisy.

Kashmir13579
04-29-2013, 03:20 PM
The way I see it, it's probably hard to live a happy life if you're constantly hiding such a big secret. It's 2013, and plenty of dudes out there who are gay live a miserable life (or at least have a huge burden always on them) because they're scared to admit who they are. I'm sure a pro athlete doing this is a pretty big deal for those kids. That's why it's important to speak out for them. Ultimately I could care less, but you have to imagine it's monumental for those people. Takes nuts for Collins to admit it.
agreed

kdspurman
04-29-2013, 03:20 PM
mark jackson says his stance on what is right and wrong is based on his religion.

must be how he decided to cheat on his wife i guess.

love hypocrisy.

That's the same thing that went through my mind when I saw his quotes... :pity:

Kashmir13579
04-29-2013, 03:23 PM
I've read some really dumb **** in here. Anyways, good for you Jason Collins!
Your sig.. :drool:

I was thinking about making the same one..

soundjunkies2
04-29-2013, 03:23 PM

Religious beliefs were also the reason for slavery and segregation and I think we can all look back and agree that was wrong. We shouldn't give ignorance and intolerance a pass because it's their religious beliefs.

jsthornton7
04-29-2013, 03:24 PM
Are Jarron and Jason identical or fraternal twins?

utl768
04-29-2013, 03:25 PM
i had tom brady in my who was the first gay athlete pool

bummer

hope he doesnt get blackballed out of the league

asandhu23
04-29-2013, 03:27 PM
Corey Maggette.

TeamSeattle
04-29-2013, 03:28 PM
Religious beliefs were also the reason for slavery and segregation and I think we can all look back and agree that was wrong. We shouldn't give ignorance and intolerance a pass because it's their religious beliefs.

I ask again how/why are the religious individuals ignorant? The definition of ignorance is as follows: (ignorance)
n. lack of knowledge, illiteracy, lack of education; state of being uninformed

So what information are they lacking and what should be the basis of their morality then?

asandhu23
04-29-2013, 03:29 PM
i had tom brady in my who was the first gay athlete pool

bummer

hope he doesnt get blackballed out of the league

Yeah, except he is notorious for sleeping around and has gisele bundchen as his wife and mother of his child.

BradHolt4CYoung
04-29-2013, 03:29 PM
lol I cant stand this religious bull crap. It's just such a joke.

Chris Broussard and Marc Jackson, black guys being against gays because their Christians...well hey is it alright if my religious beliefs dictate that White's are superior to Blacks and should be treated as such? So pretty much you can be racist because thats your religious beliefs....Martin Luther King JR and Malcon X were wrong for violating the whites religious beliefs in that they are superior to everyone else (hypothetically)

See what I am doing here? This religion **** is so stupid..,especially coming from black people considering all they had to go through segregation wise.

I would be called a bigot and ignorant by Chris Broussard if I send that according to MY PERSONAL religious beliefs Whites are the supreme race and being Black is wrong...so why is it that I cant call Chris a ignorant bigot for him doing the same?

still1ballin
04-29-2013, 03:30 PM
I wonder if his teammates will feel uncomfortable in the showers now :laugh:

Patriot Pride
04-29-2013, 03:30 PM
I ask again how/why are the religious individuals ignorant? The definition of ignorance is as follows: (ignorance)
n. lack of knowledge, illiteracy, lack of education; state of being uninformed

So what information are they lacking and what should be the basis of their morality then?

It certainly shouldn't be a book written thousands of years ago.

If your judging people based on that alone then you are a very ignorant person.

GiantsSwaGG
04-29-2013, 03:31 PM
http://queerty-prodweb.s3.amazonaws.com/wp/docs/2013/04/130429104012-jason-collins-profile-single-image-cut.jpg

You couldn't tell by this picture?

And I wonder if his twin brother is gay, since its genetic

ThunderousDemon
04-29-2013, 03:31 PM

I hetero man chooses to be gay and befriends a heterosexual girl to become sexual with her because the hetero woman won't suspect a thing?

WHAT THE ****!!! :laugh2:

There are a lot of things that happen in movies that don't happen in real life.The same goes for books, games etc.

You are born gay, it isn't some lifestyle choice.

why is it that someone who does not agree with being gay because of their religion is ignorant/wrong?

Religion is a joke, that's why.

for some people in their religious beliefs, they don't believe being gay is right. I have no problem with that. that is what they believe. some people believe in Jesus, others do not. if someone does not believe in Jesus, people don't call them ignorant.

Some people believe that a person of color shouldn't have the same rights as him for the simple fact that they have a different skin tone.

We call those people Racists.

If someone believes that homosexuality isn't right because some ancient book from the bronze age tells them so then why shouldn't someone take offense with that?

Those same people would have most likely been against segregation back in the 60's.

You have no problem with what this ignoramus said because it's his opinion?

First of all, you are born gay and a gay person is sexually attracted to the same sex like you are attracted to the opposite sex.

You can't just rewire your brain and say one day," You know what, I want to be attracted to a man".

It doesn't work that way.

A person has a right to state their opinion, no matter how stupid it is, but that doesn't mean anyone has to be okay with it.

I Rock Shaqs
04-29-2013, 03:32 PM
What the NBA or gay people need is a superstar or like a really tough guy to come out, like Gerald Wallace or Blake Griffin.

still1ballin
04-29-2013, 03:32 PM
lol I cant stand this religious bull crap. It's just such a joke.

Chris Broussard and Marc Jackson, black guys being against gays because their Christians...well hey is it alright if my religious beliefs dictate that White's are superior to Blacks and should be treated as such? So pretty much you can be racist because thats your religious beliefs....Martin Luther King JR and Malcon X were wrong for violating the whites religious beliefs in that they are superior to everyone else (hypothetically)

See what I am doing here? This religion **** is so stupid..,especially coming from black people considering all they had to go through segregation wise.

I would be called a bigot and ignorant by Chris Broussard if I send that according to MY PERSONAL religious beliefs Whites are the supreme race and being Black is wrong...so why is it that I cant call Chris a ignorant bigot for him doing the same?

You need to respect everyones opinion and just move on. Just because you don't agree with their views for whatever reason doesn't mean you have to lash out at them.

At the end of the day, on issues like this it will be agree to disagree.

asandhu23
04-29-2013, 03:34 PM
http://queerty-prodweb.s3.amazonaws.com/wp/docs/2013/04/130429104012-jason-collins-profile-single-image-cut.jpg

You couldn't tell by this picture?

And I wonder if his twin brother is gay, since its genetic

what is so gay about that picture?

BklynKnicks3
04-29-2013, 03:35 PM
I havent called him that in a long time and thats still related to him taking the easiest possible path to a chip

asandhu23
I wonder if his teammates will feel uncomfortable in the showers now :laugh:

if they do, they are idiots.

Patriot Pride
the real question is gonna be who is the first psd poster to come out of the closet?

i got my eye on a few ppl around here

No one here has the guts to do that, shows exactly how brave Jason Collins was.

Sly Guy
04-29-2013, 03:36 PM
nowhere, because that's the cultural norm. it's not frowned upon. we don't discriminate our kind for stupid reasons.

that assumes we discriminate or otherwise frown upon homosexuality. I don't care. I don't care to know one way or the other. The fact that a lot of people make a big deal of it only draws attention to something that should be private for everyone.

If you want true equality, then there should be no need to 'come out' at all. Who cares? Really.

onlythisfar41
04-29-2013, 03:36 PM
Oh yea this is why I dont come into threads like this.

Congratulations to Collins, takes major balls to do what he did.

PSD has way too many ignorant *******s residing in it.

TeamSeattle
04-29-2013, 03:37 PM
It certainly shouldn't be a book written thousands of years ago.

If your judging people based on that alone then you are a very ignorant person.

Who said I was and you have yet to answer what your basing your opinion off of? What is the information and knowledge that people are lacking? I know all the counter arguments, i'm just waiting to hear them or if you know them yourself. Your just ping-ponging the word ignorant with posters to look cool.

Here Somebody already posted this:

To be specific, the new theory suggests that homosexuality is caused by epigenetic marks, or “epi-marks,” related to sensitivity to hormones in the womb. These are compounds that sit on DNA and regulate how active, or inactive certain genes are, and also control when during development these genes are most prolific. Gavrilets and his colleagues believe that gene expression may regulate how a fetus responds to testosterone, the all-important male sex hormone. They further argue that epi-marks may help to buffer a female fetus from high levels of testosterone by suppressing receptors that respond to testosterone, for example, (thus ensuring normal fetal development even in the presence of a lot of testosterone) or to buffer a male fetus from low levels of testosterone by upregulating receptors that bind to the hormone (ensuring normal fetal development even in the absence of high levels of testosterone). Normally, these epi-marks are erased after they are activated, but if those marks are passed down to the next generation, the same epi-marks that protected a man in utero may cause oversensitivity to testosterone among his daughters, and the epi-marks that protected a woman in utero may lead to undersensitivity to testosterone among her sons.

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2012/12/13/new-insight-into-the-epigenetic-roots-of-homosexuality/#ixzz2RsoiMBSK

Patriot Pride
04-29-2013, 03:37 PM
Oh yea this is why I dont come into threads like this.

Congratulations to Collins, takes major balls to do what he did.

PSD has way too many ignorant *******s residing in it.

Haha this pretty much sums up this thread

Bob_at_york
04-29-2013, 03:39 PM
What the NBA or gay people need is a superstar or like a really tough guy to come out, like Gerald Wallace or Blake Griffin.
I thought Collins was considered a tough player on the court. Why do we need another tough player to come out?

Corey Maggette.

what? :confused:

ThunderousDemon
04-29-2013, 03:40 PM
You need to respect everyones opinion and just move on. Just because you don't agree with their views for whatever reason doesn't mean you have to lash out at them.

At the end of the day, on issues like this it will be agree to disagree.

You don't need to respect anyone's opinion and it shouldn't be agree or disagree.

This is exactly like the segregation issue, only that now it's about sex rather than race.

Tony_Starks
04-29-2013, 03:40 PM
I applaud Mark Jackson for speaking up for his beliefs. I find it hypocritical that we expect people to accept different lifestyles but those same people can't accept or respect someone's moral convictions expressed in a appropriate way. The first thing people want to do is discredit him or religion in general.

Doesn't work that way, tolerance is a two way street.

ThunderousDemon
04-29-2013, 03:42 PM
I applaud Mark Jackson for speaking up for his beliefs. I find it hypocritical that we expect people to accept different lifestyles but those same people can't accept or respect someone's moral convictions expressed in a appropriate way. The first thing people want to do is discredit him or religion in general.

It isn't a lifestyle choice.

You are born gay, just like you are born black, white or brown.

It isn't something you choose.

xRipCity
04-29-2013, 03:43 PM
Hmm... Nobody knows who I am. I know what I'll do.

I'M GAY

*Whole world knows next day*

SpecialFNK
04-29-2013, 03:44 PM
how many heterosexual women say they are "lesbian" and then hook up with other lesbians for some good sex? I guarantee you it happens. they're not lesbian, they just say their lesbian for a good time.

I bet my left nut there are people who have made the decision to be gay/homosexual even though they are not. there are likely situations where being in a minority can have benefits. maybe a job where someone feels if they say they are gay they have a better chance at getting the job. they don't have to actually be involved with another guy, they can say they are gay and remain single, while getting whatever benefits they are looking for.
some people might do it just for the attention.

kdspurman

This is also hypocritical, (On Mark Jackson's side) fwiw

http://www.mercurynews.com/warriors/ci_20963683/warriors-coach-mark-jackson-victim-extortion-stripper

xRipCity
Also, can't wait for the three weeks sportscenter talks about this.

blams
04-29-2013, 03:46 PM

It isn't a lifestyle, bigot. You're born gay.

Tony_Starks
04-29-2013, 03:47 PM

A) there's no scientific evidence to prove that.

B) his identical twin brother is straight

still1ballin

It this a fact?

I've known people throughout my highschool days who dated chicks and years later started dating guys.

Some cases yes, you are born, yet some choose to live that life style.

TeamSeattle

Based on what evidence? A large percentage of the DNA/Epigenetics is still in the beginning stages and isn't viable enough yet for me to change my opinion on this. Now if your going from an evolutionary position that's a whole nother issue.

giants73756
04-29-2013, 03:48 PM

I'm surprised to see most of PSD act mature about this situation. You just have a few bad eggs like this idiot. ^

You say people choose to be gay? When did you choose to be straight? Because I'm pretty sure I couldn't get my dick up for any guy if I actually wanted to. You can't choose who you are attracted to.

For anybody who is actually stupid enough to think being gay is a choice, maybe it's a choice for you. Maybe you choose to suppress your homosexual feelings and are in denial about it, and feel like it's normal and something everybody deals with.

faridk89
04-29-2013, 03:48 PM

Burst out laughing in the middle of the office LOL

2-ONE-5
04-29-2013, 03:49 PM

i really dont think anyone cares about Collins being gay

still1ballin
You don't need to respect anyone's opinion and it shouldn't be agree or disagree.

This is exactly like the segregation issue, only that now it's about sex rather than race.

I disagree.

Just because Mark Jackson or any other person doesn't agree with someone being gay doesn't mean that we have to lash out at the individual.

Everyone is different in this world. We have different views, different tastes, different personalities so not everyone will agree. People need to respect others views regardless what the reason maybe if its religious or not.

giants73756
double post

giants73756
04-29-2013, 03:50 PM
Based on what evidence? A large percentage of the DNA/Epigenetics is still in the beginning stages and isn't viable enough yet for me to change my opinion on this. Now if your going from an evolutionary position that's a whole nother issue.

Why would anybody choose to be gay and have to live with being bullied and discriminated against for their whole lives? It would just make life harder for no reason. There's no reason to believe being gay is a choice.

RowBTrice
04-29-2013, 03:51 PM
Are religious discussions allowed?

Slug3
04-29-2013, 03:51 PM
How is it ignorant to say you can control yourself?

I find it a little hard to understand when people who are not gay can simply say its wrong and they can control themselves. I mean I am not gay so I cant sit here and say its easy to stop it. I figure since you have never been gay as a lot of people who disprove of gays usually are not. I mean I just don't get how someone can say "they can just stop" without knowing what it is like.

giants73756
04-29-2013, 03:52 PM

What time period was this?...

SACNYY
04-29-2013, 03:52 PM
"I'm black and I'm gay" I wasn't aware that he was black.

quikk
04-29-2013, 03:54 PM
i second mark jacksons statement

ThunderousDemon
It this a fact?

I've known people throughout my highschool days who dated chicks and years later started dating guys.

Some cases yes, you are born, yet some choose to live that life style.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal

giants73756
Are religious discussions allowed?

I really wish they were allowed. Religion is holding society back. It doesn't hold up to criticism so they have to go live in their own little world. Religion is the main reason homosexuals are still being mistreated in this day and age.

TeamSeattle
04-29-2013, 03:55 PM
Why would anybody choose to be gay and have to live with being bullied and discriminated against for their whole lives? It would just make life harder for no reason. There's no reason to believe being gay is a choice.

There's no reason to believe its not a choice if were just going by our own opinion, because we've never know what its really like. You have to base it on some type of data, survey, etc. That's why I said the scientific evidence isn't sufficient enough to change my reasoning.

DODGERS&LAKERS
04-29-2013, 03:55 PM
Imagine if it was "wrong" to be straight and "right" to be gay. I cant fathom being forced to feel as if I had to be with another man just to make people feel comfortable. I would be with women and let everyone know that I could care less what they think about it. It feels right to me and thats all that matters.

bleedprple&gold
04-29-2013, 03:57 PM
Good for him, but I think he chose an unfortunate time to come out. As a free agent and a marginal NBA player at best, if no NBA team picks him up it will look like he is not getting another NBA job because he is gay, not because he's just not very good. That could look really bad and send the wrong message. But on the other hand, maybe he chose to wait until now to come out because he knew his time in the NBA was over.

ThunderousDemon
04-29-2013, 03:57 PM
Just close this thread mods.

SACNYY
04-29-2013, 03:58 PM
Why did he have to say "I'm black and I'm gay"? He's not the only gay black male. Just say you're gay, no one gives a damn what color you are. Everyone can see that you're black. That's annoying.

still1ballin
04-29-2013, 03:59 PM
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal

k.

SpecialFNK
04-29-2013, 04:00 PM
I'm surprised to see most of PSD act mature about this situation. You just have a few bad eggs like this idiot. ^

You say people choose to be gay? When did you choose to be straight? Because I'm pretty sure I couldn't get my dick up for any guy if I actually wanted to. You can't choose who you are attracted to.

For anybody who is actually stupid enough to think being gay is a choice, maybe it's a choice for you. Maybe you choose to suppress your homosexual feelings and are in denial about it, and feel like it's normal and something everybody deals with.

being gay isn't just a sex thing. a guy can say he is gay without having to get a hard on for another guy, or even think about another guy in any sexual way. a guy can say he gay, but have no relations with another guy at all.
I suppose every movie with a male that was gay, was also played by an actor who was gay? ..or maybe that actor played/pretended to be gay?

blams
i second mark jacksons statement
So you're a bigot but its OK because its based on your religious beliefs.

:rolleyes;

Atticus Finch
B) his identical twin brother is straight

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/12/17/science/gay-men-in-twin-study.html

From the article

"We found 52 percent of identical twin brothers of gay men also were gay, compared with 22 percent of fraternal twins, compared with 11 percent of genetically unrelated brothers," said J. Michael Bailey, an assistant professor of psychology at Northwestern University in Evanston, "which is exactly the kind of pattern you would want to see if something genetic were going on."

BranWingss
04-29-2013, 04:01 PM
This is actually fantastic news.

ThunderousDemon
04-29-2013, 04:01 PM
Just close this thread.

Tony_Starks
04-29-2013, 04:02 PM
Imagine if it was "wrong" to be straight and "right" to be gay. I cant fathom being forced to feel as if I had to be with another man just to make people feel comfortable. I would be with women and let everyone know that I could care less what they think about it. It feels right to me and thats all that matters.

I don't think the prevailing thought is its still "wrong" to be gay in our society. If anything people that come out are generally praised and those that don't agree are dismissed as ignorant hate mongers....

Caveman508
04-29-2013, 04:02 PM

And wayne hit that, beat the ***** up,up..

TeamSeattle
04-29-2013, 04:03 PM
Just close this thread.

Stop dictating please cuz you can't answer your own viewpoints.

JOhnnyTHaJet
04-29-2013, 04:03 PM
Happy for Collins, takes a lot to conjure up the ability to come out to the media.

I'm disappointed in the majority of the comments in this thread. Ignorance still lives strong in many of you. This is one mans lifestyle, if it doesn't effect you directly why hold such hatred towards it? Even some of these snarky comments have underlying hate. It's a sad thing.

SACNYY
04-29-2013, 04:04 PM
Would mean more if it was a good player, a recognizable guy. Not a 3 PPG career player.

Tony_Starks
04-29-2013, 04:06 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/1991/12/17/science/gay-men-in-twin-study.html (http://www.nytimes.com/1991/

12/17/science/gay-men-in-twin-study.html)

From the article

The only thing is for every article that suggests its genetic I can find one that suggest its not and attributes it to environmental factors.

Until there's some sort of definitive proof both sides are still debatable....

ThunderousDemon
04-29-2013, 04:07 PM
Stop dictating please cuz you can't answer your own viewpoints.

Alright then, I'll argue with you.

State your viewpoints and I shall follow up with a counter argument.

still1ballin
04-29-2013, 04:08 PM
**grabs popcorn***

TeamSeattle
04-29-2013, 04:08 PM
Chris Broussard might lose his job...whoa

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mikehayes/nba-reporter-calls-homosexuality-a-sin-on-tv?sub=2180258_1120719

SACNYY
04-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Broussard getting fired? Yes! He's terrible! Just as bad a Stephen ******* Smith

amos1er
04-29-2013, 04:14 PM
Would mean more if it was a good player, a recognizable guy. Not a 3 PPG career player.

Lol For sure...still takes courage none the less. I agree that it would be a huge deal if a top 10 player came out. They say one out of ten right...

amos1er
04-29-2013, 04:15 PM
Broussard getting fired? Yes! He's terrible! Just as bad a Stephen ******* Smith

Stephen A is the ****. Blasphemy!!!

SpecialFNK
04-29-2013, 04:15 PM
to be clear, I personally don't have any problem with Collins being gay or anyone being gay. if a guy wants to live his life with another guy, why should anyone have any right to say he can't. even if they want to get married, go ahead. marriage is just a legal document anyway.
I just don't believe that everyone in the world who says they are gay, are actually gay. I believe there are people who do so for reason that benefit them.

I also don't think now was the right time for Collins to come out. if he has been gay for some time now, why has he waited this long?
I'm not questioning whether is or not, but there can be benefits for him coming out now? if there is a GM right now asked whether he would sign Collins, and he was to say no.. automatically he is a bigot and people will say this GM doesn't want to sign Collins because he is gay. even though the reason could actually be because Collins isn't that good of an NBA player.
it could also be beneficial for a team to sign Collins. imagine all the endorsements Collins and the new team could get.

for all the hate Collins could/will get, he is now in history. he will forever be known as the "Jackie Robison" of gay athletes? the first athlete to come out from a major sport while still playing. he will forever be known in history, regardless of what type of NBA player he is/was.