PDA

View Full Version : Question on Bulls' screens

Greet
04-28-2013, 02:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34vbYRAVghs

This is the only thing I could find that shows a clear example of what I'm trying to say, but during every screen when the on-ball defender goes to follow his man...there's always that little leg movement that Noah/Boozer or whoever does, that almost seems like a trip of some sort. It seems to go against what I was taught as a kid on how to set screens... Just wondering if this is a legal move, or just an like unwritten thing that you can do it.

Chronz
04-28-2013, 04:00 PM
When Thibs was working under JVG in Houston, he and Morey scoured tape for the kind of calls the refs tend to miss, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was one of them. But I imagine it changes year to year, game to game as refs put a higher priority on certain things going into the season/game.

Pierzynski4Prez
04-28-2013, 04:17 PM
Willing to bet you can find footage of players on every team doing the exact same thing at some point or another.

kozelkid
04-28-2013, 04:17 PM
When Thibs was working under JVG in Houston, he and Morey scoured tape for the kind of calls the refs tend to miss, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was one of them. But I imagine it changes year to year, game to game as refs put a higher priority on certain things going into the season/game.

Boston does the same, especially with KG.

But ya, it's a smart tactical move.

KnicksorBust
04-28-2013, 04:18 PM
Just another example of illegal screens that don't get called. If you want to watch more tape...Tyson Chandler is a professional and Kevin Garnett is the master.

TopsyTurvy
04-28-2013, 04:42 PM
Aggressive screen play will almost always see the screener planting a leg outside of the frame of his shoulders in preparation for a cut of some sort. It's neither bush-league, planned, or intentional - it's just a missed call.

Greet
04-28-2013, 05:46 PM
Aggressive screen play will almost always see the screener planting a leg outside of the frame of his shoulders in preparation for a cut of some sort. It's neither bush-league, planned, or intentional - it's just a missed call.

Sorry if I disagree, but I don't see how in anyway this isn't planned. I understand if it's a single player doing it (Garnett/Chandler), but this seems to be every player on every screen for the Bulls. I would assume this is something practiced by the Bulls, and as Chronz pointed out probably installed by Thibs himself.

Now I'm not sure of the legality of this, but it seems rather dangerous (especially towards the knee area of both players....well more the on ball defender) and also rather damn effective at creating space. You not only have to get pass the screen but almost waste a half-second or second to side swipe the screeners leg.

ChitownBears22
04-28-2013, 05:48 PM
Illegal screens happen, much like traveling it rarely is called. Everyone gets away with it so it is pointless to bring it up. Officials should call it and someday they might be more aggressive, an injury will have to happen first though.

Greet
04-28-2013, 09:04 PM
Illegal screens happen, much like traveling it rarely is called. Everyone gets away with it so it is pointless to bring it up. Officials should call it and someday they might be more aggressive, an injury will have to happen first though.

Ok, but this isn't like a once in a while type of thing. This is literally happening on 80% of the screens that Chicago sets. It shouldn't be allowed at that volume.

northsider
04-28-2013, 09:08 PM
Ok, but this isn't like a once in a while type of thing. This is literally happening on 80% of the screens that Chicago sets. It shouldn't be allowed at that volume.

It prob. happens on 70% of screens in the NBA in general if not more. Complete guess on the number however this isn't some sort of tactic the rest of the league isn't aware of.

Greet
04-28-2013, 09:10 PM
It prob. happens on 70% of screens in the NBA in general if not more. Complete guess on the number however this isn't some sort of tactic the rest of the league isn't aware of.

Yeah I don't think there's a way to figure it out BUT I would be willing to bet that the # is under 50%, probably more like 20-30

Hawkeye15
04-28-2013, 09:14 PM
Just another example of illegal screens that don't get called. If you want to watch more tape...Tyson Chandler is a professional and Kevin Garnett is the master.

was going to comment, KG is the master at this. He should have been called for 1000 more fouls

lamzoka
04-28-2013, 09:20 PM
Damn that was a nasty crossover

Chi~TwnHawksFan
04-28-2013, 09:36 PM
:moon::guns::moon::moon::moon::moon:

LAcowBOMBER
04-29-2013, 03:40 AM
All of the Celtics do it too, but Garnett is the worst. It's an illegal screen, but I don't blame players/teams for doing it if it isn't called

MarkieMark48
04-29-2013, 09:55 AM

This