PDA

View Full Version : ESPN : Raptors have interest in talking to Phil Jackson about Pat Reily type roll

spreadeagle
04-26-2013, 09:31 PM
Hey like they said, stranger things have happened...right
If you like some speculation and to connect the dots, we have a story for you: A move that got notice on the sports business pages could be the first step in a series of moves that lead to front page headlines:

Phil Jackson running the Toronto Raptors.

We’re a long, long way from that. But Marc Stein and Ramona Shelburne started to connect the dots in an ESPN.com story and we’ll follow along because it’s too fun not to.

It all starts with the fact Tim Leiweke was just hired as the new president and CEO of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, the company that owns the Raptors (and Maple Leafs of the NHL, as well as other sports entities). Most of the nation just said “who?” but people in Los Angeles know Leiweke as the former CEO of AEG who was a force in Los Angeles sports — he got Staples Center built, he got AEG to buy a stake in the Lakers (estimated at 30 percent), he brought David Beckham to the Galaxy of the MLS, and he got plans for a downtown NFL arena in L.A. farther than any other man has. He’s a man who likes to make bold, big moves.

From there we let Stein and Shelburne connect the dots.

Sources told ESPN.com this week that the Raptors have interest in talking with Jackson about the Pat Riley-style role he craves in charge of a team’s basketball operations. ESPN.com reported last week that Jackson, after nearly two seasons in retirement, is itching to return to the NBA next season, preferably in a role similar to Riley’s in Miami that allows him to oversee both the basketball department and the coaching staff or perhaps as a high-level consultant such as Jerry West in Golden State.

Leiweke is a major player in the sports industry, and Jackson is all-too-familiar with his work in Los Angeles, where he helped get the Staples Center.

Leiweke can get Jackson to pick up the phone (and he’s taking meetings with everyone who calls anyway, he wants back in). While reports had been that current Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo will keep his job — and with him coach Dwane Casey stays in place — you’d have to explore the Jackson idea if you’re the Raptors, don’t you?

It’s easy to think of ways this falls apart. Jackson thinks it over and decides he doesn’t want to move to Toronto for the winter. The Raptors are not willing to meet Jackson’s financial demands, which you know will be steep. Jackson has options — he said he’s had exploratory talks with a few teams and the buzz is one of those is Seattle should they buy the Kings — and he may choose another location to jump back in the league.

But stranger things have happened. The biggest problem with the Raptors in recent years seems to be a lack of a plan — they have assembled some nice pieces but there is no overarching design. Jackson would be the big-picture kind of guy they need. Whether he has the skills to execute that in a front office role remains to be seen. Plus wherever Jackson lands there will be a clamor for him to return to the bench, something he is not eager to do.

But it’s out there. And it’s fun to talk about even if it is unlikely http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/26/fun-speculation-toronto-may-make-run-at-phil-jackson-for-front-office/

Cal827
04-26-2013, 09:38 PM
Even if they don't get him, which is probably like 95% likely to occur, as long as they waste time on this and drop BC.....

:dance::dance::dance::dance:

bucketss
04-26-2013, 09:45 PM
lmao what a joke.

North Yorker
04-26-2013, 10:04 PM
Does a Pat Riley type of roll come with butter?

LakersIn5
04-26-2013, 10:21 PM
does a pat riley type of roll come with butter?

lol

4milesperday
04-26-2013, 11:16 PM

help the guy out here, he meant to say role, not "roll".

NoahH
04-26-2013, 11:26 PM
I'm sure every franchise is 'eyeing' Phil Jackson. Doesn't mean he'll bite.

It's a different team every week TBH.

gotoHcarolina52
04-27-2013, 12:03 AM

It typically comes with a gelatinous butter substitute and wrapped in a napkin hand-sewn from the finest Italian threads.

uncleben989
04-27-2013, 12:34 AM

it come with deepfried goat penis

Phenomenonsense
04-27-2013, 12:37 AM
I hear a Pat Riley roll comes with 7 rings of butter layered on it.

Raps18-19 Champ
04-27-2013, 01:36 AM
Pat Reily is my boy.

LayBraun
04-27-2013, 01:45 AM
I actually think this is a little more realistic than how some of you are making it out to be.

I doubt he goes there but it's sounds plausible.

PacersForLife
04-27-2013, 02:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcz_kDCBTBk

shep33
04-27-2013, 02:29 AM
Likely won't happen. It's not because it's Toronto (which is a beautiful city), but I think it has more to do with the roster and the inability to really change it for the better.

I mean the Raps have 62-63 mill in contracts next year... then they still have Rudy the year after that. Team has very little flexibility to build a team that Phil would want.

Basically what I'm saying is BC ruined any chance the Raps had at Phil

smith&wesson
04-27-2013, 02:36 AM
Likely won't happen. It's not because it's Toronto (which is a beautiful city), but I think it has more to do with the roster and the inability to really change it for the better.

I mean the Raps have 62-63 mill in contracts next year... then they still have Rudy the year after that. Team has very little flexibility to build a team that Phil would want.

Basically what I'm saying is BC ruined any chance the Raps had at Phil

ouch... But I agree

Tmath
04-27-2013, 02:43 AM
Should we turn this thread into Drummond vs Valanciunas?

:hide:

Tmath
04-27-2013, 02:46 AM
ouch... But I agree

The Lakers have been capped out and still managed to makes trades to improve the team in the past. If the Raptors ownership is willing to go into the tax like they said they are, I don't see how it should be a problem.

shep33
04-27-2013, 02:47 AM
^ Val is going to be a stud. Which is one of the reasons why I hated the Rudy Gay trade. Dude is never going to get the shots he deserves playing alongside Lowry, Demar, Rudy and even Bargs.

That was an off topic rant lol.... back on topic...

I read somewhere that Phil wanted a team that he could build to his own liking. Basically getting to do whatever he wants. It's just too difficult for that to happen in Toronto right now.

Tmath
04-27-2013, 02:55 AM
^ Val is going to be a stud. Which is one of the reasons why I hated the Rudy Gay trade. Dude is never going to get the shots he deserves playing alongside Lowry, Demar, Rudy and even Bargs.

I read somewhere that Phil wanted a team that he could build to his own liking. Basically getting to do whatever he wants. It's just too difficult for that to happen in Toronto right now.

I doubt Phil will come to Toronto also, my guess is Seattle, if they get a team. But if he did come here, he could build a team to his own liking. He would have to make a few trades, but any team could push the restart button if they wanted too, its just some teams might take longer to do it than others.

shep33
04-27-2013, 03:01 AM
I doubt Phil will come to Toronto also, my guess is Seattle, if they get a team. But if he did come here, he could build a team to his own liking. He would have to make a few trades, but any team could push the restart button if they wanted too, its just some teams might just take longer to do it than others.

True. I think Phil wants the flexibility to do what he wants right away. I don't think Toronto offers that right now. In a few years yes, but not with Rudy, Bargs, and Demar getting paid that type of money (and for years to come still).

Seattle makes the most sense. He lives in the state next door (Montana) plus the Kings have young players they can move, plus draft picks, and cap room.

BHF
04-27-2013, 03:03 AM

Rudy Gay passes the ball to Val more than any other raptor

Tmath
04-27-2013, 03:12 AM
True. I think Phil wants the flexibility to do what he wants right away. I don't think Toronto offers that right now. In a few years yes, but not with Rudy, Bargs, and Demar getting paid that type of money (and for years to come still).

Seattle makes the most sense. He lives in the state next door (Montana) plus the Kings have young players they can move, plus draft picks, and cap room.

I agree, this is why I said Seattle.

shep33
04-27-2013, 03:25 AM
Rudy Gay passes the ball to Val more than any other raptor

Val shoots the ball 6 times per game. Rudy shot the ball 17.1 times per game.

Derozan shot the ball 15 times per game, while Lowry shot it 9.2 times per game.

Raps just don't have enough shots for him with those guys on the team (particularly Rudy)

deaner
04-27-2013, 09:40 AM
Val shoots the ball 6 times per game. Rudy shot the ball 17.1 times per game.

Derozan shot the ball 15 times per game, while Lowry shot it 9.2 times per game.

Raps just don't have enough shots for him with those guys on the team (particularly Rudy)

A new coach will fix this instantly. Casey runs way too many ISOs for both Demar and Rudy. The efficiency of Amir and Val will be a focal point to any new coach who is able to think clearly.

Dankster
04-27-2013, 11:55 AM
I can't see him going to Toronto. Historically speaking, he's not the type of guy to take over "long-term" projects like the Raps, although they do have some nice talented pieces over there.

Like others said, my guess is if the Kings relocate to Seattle he'll probably end up there. He lives in the Northwest area and it would be a rather close proximity to where he resides in the offseason.

I dunno how much that would factor in though because the Kings are also a big time project with a couple good pieces on the roster. Should be a very interesting offseason for the Zen-Master.

j-bay
04-27-2013, 05:01 PM
It just seems to far from LA.

OceanSpray
04-27-2013, 06:50 PM
Wow, Phil in Seattle would make a lot of sense. He can teach Cousins a thing or two about maturing. Cousins has a chance to be a top 10 player and if he receives tutelage from Phil, he can definitely be a dominant player to build around.

LeperMessiah
04-27-2013, 11:30 PM
Lord let this happen

ManRam
04-27-2013, 11:46 PM
this is cute

phil isn't going anywhere that he can't win in a few years. toronto certainly isn't going to be an attractive destination.

a good coach can help the raps, but not turn them into true contenders.

Tmath
04-27-2013, 11:58 PM
this is cute

phil isn't going anywhere that he can't win in a few years. toronto certainly isn't going to be an attractive destination.

a good coach can help the raps, but not turn them into true contenders.

He's not looking for a coaching job, he's looking for a front office job.