PDA

View Full Version : What will be the next "New"position added to the game?

Chitownhero1992
04-26-2013, 03:23 PM
Basketball has always been a game with a:

Point Guard - Ball distributer, offensive leader
Shooting Guard - Pure shooter, off the ball guard
Small Forward - A forward with guard quality skills, defensive prowess
Power Forward - A big bulky forward that would back his player down with muscle
Center - The tallest man, built to back players down and stand on the block waiting for the ball, the best rebounder on the floor

Yet in recent years we don't see these five positions in use very much at all anymore instead we've come to know them as:

Point Forward - What was a small forward but now brings the ball up the floor to throw over smaller defenders and lead an offense
Scoring Guard - doesn't matter where he plays, he is the guard that has the ball in his hands and scores everytime
Stretch Forward - A forward that instead of backing someone down strays outside to shoot the long shots.
Defensive Anchor - Normally your tallest person, who rebounds and plays defense

These new positions have taken over the game and completely changed the way it is played, so my question is what is the next position to come into the game of basketball? (It always starts on the streets with new generations of players.)

Chronz
04-26-2013, 03:24 PM
Power Point Center ???

slaker619
04-26-2013, 03:40 PM
No clue only time will tell maybe clutch guard/forward

VCaintdead17
04-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Power Point Center ???

Lol

Chitownhero1992
04-26-2013, 03:45 PM
It seems that there are a lot of smaller guys making a big impact these days, i'm thinking the mini-guard could be part of a new position.

(Isaiah Thomas, Nat Robinson, etc) guards that're under 6'0" but making a major impact for their team.

Atticus Finch
04-26-2013, 03:58 PM
Designated free throw shooter

That way I could finally make it to the NBA

sep11ie
04-26-2013, 04:03 PM
I liked Power Point Center. I'll go with that.

Cal827
04-26-2013, 04:18 PM
Power Point Center

flea
04-26-2013, 04:21 PM
The entire premise of your post is wrong. There is nothing new about any any of those "positions."

Minimal
04-26-2013, 05:40 PM
There are 5 positions in basketball and will always be, there are different type of players with different game styles playing those positions.

smith&wesson
04-26-2013, 05:57 PM
Power Point Center ???

vlade divac :shrug:

THE MTL
04-26-2013, 09:34 PM
The post point guard. A larger point guard who has a definitive post game

MaloDaw9
04-26-2013, 10:23 PM
Power Point Center ???

Arvydas Sabonis!?

b@llhog24
04-26-2013, 10:34 PM
Power Point Center ???

Sounds like Bron.

--23--
04-26-2013, 10:35 PM
With how the league is changing I could see a "Point Center"... a 6'11-70ft player with point guard passing abilities and handles.

The post point guard. A larger point guard who has a definitive post game

That sounds like Andre Miller.

b@llhog24
04-26-2013, 10:35 PM
Power Point Center ???

Sounds like Bron.

Chronz
04-26-2013, 11:00 PM
vlade divac :shrug:
Close but lacking abit of power

Arvydas Sabonis!?
Better. Too bad we never saw him in his prime.

Sounds like Bron.
Hes the prototypical Power-Pointforward.

I was joking when I said that but yea, I guess that would be next evolutionary step. Hard envisioning it tho.

ThaDubs
04-27-2013, 03:18 AM
Shooting point small power center?

JasonJohnHorn
04-27-2013, 11:44 AM
Those roles are simply the traditional roles. They are defined for casual fans to understand the mechanics of the game. They are useful because they are common, but they are no the only way to run a team.

PG: There are three version of the PG in the NBA today. The pass-first PG (I see Rondo and CP3 fitting here, thought they both score, they look to create for other first), the score-first PG (I see Westbrook and Rose, both still make plays for others, but both look to create their own offense first and then open things up for others), and finally the shooting-PG (which is different from the SG). The SPG (?!?!?) usually takes on the defensive responsibility of the the opposing team's PG, but on offence essentially serve as a shooting guard (like Chalmbers does, or like Steve Kerr and John Paxson used to do).

For the SG there are essentially two models, the traditional model and the ball handler. The traditional model is like Ray Allen. Comes off screens, catches and shoots. The ball handler is like Kobe and Jordan or T-Mac. They bring the ball up often and create their own offence and set up other players.

SF is similar. There are SF who do the traditional role, some who are like SG and stay on the wing, some who can do that or post up and often are given the ball for one-on-one scoring options. Then there is the LBJ type who handles the ball. Paul Pierce can do this, T-Mac as well (there isn't much difference between a Point-SF and a Point-SG). They bring the ball up, look to score or create and can also play the post and/or wing.

The PF and C are one in the same to me, though the PF more often can serve as a stretch forward, there have been centers who could do the say (Sabnis, Laimbeer, Perkins). The traditional post player, who doesn't has a jump shot, stays in the post and plays the pivot on offence if he can (Z-Bo), and if he can't he'd better be a great rebounder of defender (see Ben Wallace and Chandler). There are guys who can run the offence from the low post or high post. Duncan can do either, D-Rob, Hakeem, Shaq could make passes from the low post and create plays, and Mason, Webber and Brad Miller were also great at it. Pau Gasol is a great passer though they haven't used him much for that lately until Kobe went down. So I guess you could call that the point-post-player (guys who run plays from the high or low post).

Essentially, a good coach will have a system he uses and gets the players to work in that system. A great coach see what abilities the players he has have, and uses them. One system does not fit all players and few players can fit all systems.

I don't see any other versions coming up any time in the near future. As for teams that play without a traditional center... I think teams that do that do it out of necessity because there are so few great centers, not because that system works better, but I also think that there is little if any difference between a center and a power forward, so it's more a question of whether teams choose to run with two post players or one, and that has always been something teams change up.

So no, I don't see any new position coming up. Any of those may become more popular depending on what talent comes in the league, but I don't see any new ones coming up.

KnicksorBust
04-27-2013, 12:10 PM
I like the idea of the thread but it does seem like we've pretty much tapped out the positions. I don't think we'll ever actually see a legit 7'0 PG or a legit 6'1 post-up player. And no guys like Marc Gasol or Andre Miller don't count. Mark Jackson maybe... but no Dre.