PDA

View Full Version : Do Perimeter players just simply not understand how to give a post pass?

Trinidad
04-25-2013, 05:21 PM
I swear. If you are under 30 in the NBA chances are you have no freaking clue how to pass the ball in the low post.

First there is a reluctance to do so by literally everyone I see except for when it was bashed into the skulls of Magic Players when Howard was there. So there is the fact that nobody does it. The Spurs did it when Duncan was younger, but that was about it then too.

Then when players do pass in the low post it's often a terrible pass. It gets picked off. It's not accurate. Poor location. Poor timing. Just everything sucks.

I know skilled big men are rare these days. But damn somebody needs to teach these guys how to pass into the low post.

Why the hell did 2 perimeter players on the Lakers not named Kobe take more shots than Howard? That's my point.

GrandDaddyPurp
04-25-2013, 05:24 PM
Why the hell did 2 perimeter players on the Lakers not named Kobe take more shots than Howard? That's my point.

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw the box score.

Chitownhero1992
04-25-2013, 05:49 PM
I have had the luxury of being a post and guard throughout my basketball career being a 6'6" forward. But a lot of newer coaches have taught post passing very backwards. When a post player wants a high pass the coaches are teaching go low, and when a post player needs a low bounce pass the guard is taught throw it high.

I think these coaches have learned to do it the wrong way and that is throughing these new breed scoring guards off and making it so A.) they don't pass in to the post at all or B.) they make a bad pass into the post.

Part of it is being flashy too, all these new young players want to be flashy and make the sports center top 10 pass, not the basketball pass.

Leftcoast_yg
04-26-2013, 10:24 AM
the solution is pretty simple, create the angle!!!

IndyRealist
04-26-2013, 11:03 AM
Feeding the post is a lost art. But so is being a dominant post up player.

C_Mund
04-26-2013, 11:41 AM
Feeding the post is a lost art. But so is being a dominant post up player.

I came in to say this as soon as I saw the thread title. When your post players are either energy/defender/rebounder types (Noah, Chandler, even Dwight to a certain extent) you don't actually want to feed them in the post all that much.

To be honest there's a short list of big men that should be getting a lot of iso plays these days, and that's pretty darn sad. Brook, Z-Bo/Marc, Pau, Al Jeff, Horford, um...... haha!!

There's obviously more, but the fact that there's only about 10-15 back-to-the-basket types that jump right off the page shows why the position has been all but phased out.