PDA

View Full Version : Rangers' Marc Staal noted for his perseverance; Dan Girardi a 'Good Guy'

SLY WILLIAMS
04-25-2013, 01:18 PM
Published: April 25, 2013 11:09 AM
By STEVE ZIPAY

RALEIGH, N.C. - Marc Staal, who hopes to return soon from an injury that damaged his right eye, has been nominated for the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy.

The trophy is awarded annually since 1967-68 to the NHL player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to the game. The nomination is based on a vote by the New York chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers Association. Ryan Callahan finished second in the voting.

Staal, 26, was struck above the eye by a deflected shot against the Philadelphia Flyers on March 5. It was the second major setback in two years for the former All-Star defenseman.

He has begun practicing with the team wearing a visor but is still experiencing blurred vision. The Rangers' alternate captain has missed the past 25 games. The Thunder Bay, Ontario native, primarily known as a rugged, shutdown defenseman, was off to a very good start this year, with two goals and nine assists in 21 games.

On Feb. 22, 2011, Staal suffered a concussion on a hit from his brother, Eric, a center for the Carolina Hurricanes, and the symptoms kept him sidelined until the Winter Classic against the Flyers on Jan. 2, 2012. Staal then played in 46 games last season, during which he scored two goals and added three assists, and another three goals and three assists in 20 playoff games.

Masterton played for the Minnesota North Stars and died on Jan. 15, 1968, after sustaining an injury during a game. Each PHWA chapter nominates a player from the local team.

Four Rangers have received the trophy: Adam Graves in 2000-01; Anders Hedberg in 1984-85; Rod Gilbert in 1975-76, and Jean Ratelle in 1970-71. Montreal's Max Pacioretty was selected last season.

Girardi a 'Good Guy'

For his co-operation with the media this season, defenseman Dan Girardi was the recipient of the John Halligan Good Guy Award by the members of the New York Chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers Association.

Girardi, 28, is in his seventh season with the Rangers. He leads the team and is among the top five in the NHL in blocked shots and top 10 in time on ice. Girardi has two goals and 12 assists in 44 games.

The last five winners were Brian Boyle, Ryan Callahan, co-winners Erik Christensen/Vinny Prospal, Tom Renney and Henrik Lundqvist. No player, or coach, can win the award twice.http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/rangers-marc-staal-noted-for-his-perseverance-dan-girardi-a-good-guy-1.5138518

bsi
04-25-2013, 05:12 PM
I'm a little confused about Staal for the Masterton award as he hasn't come back from the injury yet. I would have assumed that maybe Taylor Pyatt could have been nominated after turning his career around after losing his fiancee.

SLY WILLIAMS
04-25-2013, 05:46 PM
It may have been for having 11 points in 21 games after having a major concussion.

bsi
04-25-2013, 05:54 PM
It may have been for having 11 points in 21 games after having a major concussion.

Ya, but that was last year he came back from the Eric Staal hit and if that were the case Crosby would be nominated too.

SLY WILLIAMS
04-25-2013, 06:01 PM
Ya, but that was last year he came back from the Eric Staal hit and if that were the case Crosby would be nominated too.

I can not say for sure what the nominations were based on but I did feel that Marc came back this year like the old Marc. Last season he did not seem to be the same player.

bsi
04-25-2013, 06:21 PM
I can not say for sure what the nominations were based on but I did feel that Marc came back this year like the old Marc. Last season he did not seem to be the same player.

He was our best D at times in the playoffs last year I thought....either way Karlsson wins the award this year for being a freak and returning tonight after what should have been a season ending injury.

NYSPORTS98
04-28-2013, 12:19 PM
Is there an award for good handwritting too?