PDA

View Full Version : John Wall Where Does he go from here?

papipapsmanny
04-25-2013, 12:20 PM
Okay guys I post these probably one or twice every year so do get all upset that this is focused on a team/player.

I just like to see the non-biased view (well for the most part)

Where do you all think John Wall goes from here?

Post All star break where he played in a lot more games, and was completely healthy these are the numbers he put up....

In 31 games, he averaged 35 minutes a game. 20.7 points, 4.5 rebounds, and 7.8 assist.

He did that on 44.7 FG% and a 34.4% from the 3 points line.

Remember he has only played in about 2.5 seasons worth of games do to injuries/lockout.

My question for you all, is that post all star break Wall to be expected next year, and do you believe he could put up even better numbers than that? I only ask because he seems to go under the radar and people have very conflicting opinions about him.

JiffyMix88
04-25-2013, 12:47 PM
I think he's great and he'll put up probably the same numbers next year until he can figure out how to finish around the rim with his speed instead of running recklessly and throwing up terrible shots and when his jumper is as consistent as it was towards the end of this year. Really just needs to learn how to use his speed and adjust it to his teammates cause his turnovers has got to go down.

LayBraun
04-25-2013, 12:49 PM
When is Wall a free agent?

I think if he joins a team with some solid talent he could be a top 5 pg but on the wizards i think his ceiling is top 10. He needs people to take some pressure off of him.

b@llhog24
04-25-2013, 01:31 PM
Utah.

D-Leethal
04-25-2013, 01:40 PM
Wiz are slowly but surely building themselves something pretty nice down there.

Wall-Beal backcourt is one of the top building blocks in the league.

dtmagnet
04-25-2013, 03:57 PM
More of the same, I don't expect him to improve much more.

NichObert
04-27-2013, 02:22 PM
More of the same, I don't expect him to improve much more.

More of what same? The same he did after the All Star break when he put up better per36s than D-Rose's MVP season?

He's a 22 year old PG and has played all of 50 games where his 2nd best player was better than (who? Blatche? Javale?) - he just joined a team who started 4-28 and lead them to a record 1 game under .500 in the games he played. With a harder SOS than the first 32 games, and with their 2nd-7th best players missing a higher percentage of games.

Before they sat everyone but Wall the last 2 weeks, they were 25-20 with Wałl, a winning percentage 40% higher than without, good enough for the best midseason turnaround in NBA history.

As far as taking the pressure off of him and being under control when going to the basket, the Wizards were the best corner 3 shooting team in the league after he came back and it felt like almost all of those were a result of Wałl drawing 5 defenders and calmly shooting a laser out to the corner.

A year ago everyone said Wałl can't make a team better. 50 games back and that seems utterly ludicrous. He might help a team more than all but 9 or 10 guys in the league.

His improvement is twofold. The mechanical fixes to his jumper are real and should be lasting, his form is much better and much much more consistent. Wizards were smart to green light him to shoot in game situations as much as he wants. Gotta get that experience as no practice or training simulates game scenarios perfectly.

Secondly, he developed lower gears when going to the hoop, displaying a nice hesitate - and - go move that mixes beautifully with his improved pull up game. His court vision has seemed elite his whole career, but now he's putting himself in better positions to have time and space to make those sharp reads.

The Wizards still need a big man who can draw more attention in the midrange and run a pick and pop. The prayer here is that Nene gets hus lift back if he can sufficiently rest his plantar fasciitis this offseason.

Remember, the Wałl-Beal-Webster-Nene-Okafor unit had the best point differential in the league.

Going to have a tough decision to make on trading Okafor and / or Ariza's expiring. Those guys were great complimentary pieces, but they make enough (for a short enough span) that they might be able to bring in someone who helps more. I'm not a Josh Smith fan, but a sign and traded Smith for Okafor / take whichever of our uniformly regressing young bigs you want / whatever else would be a very nice fit. They'd still be an elite defense, and maybe.juuuust maybe, Smith wouldn't feel the need to chuck so much on his 2nd team. Super risky. Super super risky.

Wally's ceiling is MVP. It would take injuries to Lebron and Durant to get there, but his impact could easily be in line with that next group of guys.

Ezio
04-27-2013, 02:26 PM
He was my pick for MIP but he got hurt for most of the season. He's got my vote for next season as well. Depends on who gets added to his squad.

Swashcuff
04-27-2013, 02:41 PM
More of what same? The same he did after the All Star break when he put up better per36s than D-Rose's MVP season?

He's a 22 year old PG and has played all of 50 games where his 2nd best player was better than (who? Blatche? Javale?) - he just joined a team who started 4-28 and lead them to a record 1 game under .500 in the games he played. With a harder SOS than the first 32 games, and with their 2nd-7th best players missing a higher percentage of games.

Before they sat everyone but Wall the last 2 weeks, they were 25-20 with Wałl, a winning percentage 40% higher than without, good enough for the best midseason turnaround in NBA history.

As far as taking the pressure off of him and being under control when going to the basket, the Wizards were the best corner 3 shooting team in the league after he came back and it felt like almost all of those were a result of Wałl drawing 5 defenders and calmly shooting a laser out to the corner.

A year ago everyone said Wałl can't make a team better. 50 games back and that seems utterly ludicrous. He might help a team more than all but 9 or 10 guys in the league.

His improvement is twofold. The mechanical fixes to his jumper are real and should be lasting, his form is much better and much much more consistent. Wizards were smart to green light him to shoot in game situations as much as he wants. Gotta get that experience as no practice or training simulates game scenarios perfectly.

Secondly, he developed lower gears when going to the hoop, displaying a nice hesitate - and - go move that mixes beautifully with his improved pull up game. His court vision has seemed elite his whole career, but now he's putting himself in better positions to have time and space to make those sharp reads.

The Wizards still need a big man who can draw more attention in the midrange and run a pick and pop. The prayer here is that Nene gets hus lift back if he can sufficiently rest his plantar fasciitis this offseason.

Remember, the Wałl-Beal-Webster-Nene-Okafor unit had the best point differential in the league.

Going to have a tough decision to make on trading Okafor and / or Ariza's expiring. Those guys were great complimentary pieces, but they make enough (for a short enough span) that they might be able to bring in someone who helps more. I'm not a Josh Smith fan, but a sign and traded Smith for Okafor / take whichever of our uniformly regressing young bigs you want / whatever else would be a very nice fit. They'd still be an elite defense, and maybe.juuuust maybe, Smith wouldn't feel the need to chuck so much on his 2nd team. Super risky. Super super risky.

Wally's ceiling is MVP. It would take injuries to Lebron and Durant to get there, but his impact could easily be in line with that next group of guys.

Nope. It would take a better supporting cast and John Wall continue to grow on offense for him to get there. Even with a prime LeBron and Kevin Durant I still believe that under the right circumstances he'd certainly be in the running for the award.

ThaDubs
04-27-2013, 03:24 PM
He's probably not going to stay with Washington, but it'd be cool if he did. I love to see young players embrace being on a bad team and making it better as appose to trying to trade themselves away to a better team as soon as possible.

ThaDubs
04-27-2013, 03:26 PM
I may sound crazy to some of you but I think Wall (assuming he stays healthy) could easily average numbers similar to the prime Hornets CP3 in the future.

LakersIn5
04-27-2013, 03:42 PM
wizards with a winning record this season with wall playing

RossTalksSports
04-27-2013, 03:42 PM
Since John Wall declared himself worthy of a max contract in March he has been fantastic. With an improved Beal next year I think his numbers will get even better next year.

If he leaves for greener pastures I think he could put up top 5 point guard numbers with some decent talent around him.

SportsFanatic10
04-27-2013, 04:02 PM
up

mike_noodles
04-27-2013, 04:03 PM
His PER was good, and has improved each year since he's been in the league. I would expect that trend to continue, but should see a great leap if they either trade him or get him some talent around him.

I have to laugh when people call him a bust at this point.

KnicksorBust
04-27-2013, 04:06 PM
I may sound crazy to some of you but I think Wall (assuming he stays healthy) could easily average numbers similar to the prime Hornets CP3 in the future.

Maybe he can come close with points/assists but he'll NEVER get to CP3's level of overall play (scoring, passing, shooting, defense).

That being said I'm still very high on Wall. Admittedly I don't follow college too closely but if there is a stud 2-way PF out there in the lottery for the Wiz we could easily see them in the playoffs next year.

As Dleethal mentioned, Wall-Beal is a phenomenal backcourt and Nene is a good center.

ThaDubs
04-27-2013, 05:05 PM
Maybe he can come close with points/assists but he'll NEVER get to CP3's level of overall play (scoring, passing, shooting, defense).

That being said I'm still very high on Wall. Admittedly I don't follow college too closely but if there is a stud 2-way PF out there in the lottery for the Wiz we could easily see them in the playoffs next year.

As Dleethal mentioned, Wall-Beal is a phenomenal backcourt and Nene is a good center.

Yes the defense and shooting is what separates the two for sure. As well as the intangibles.

Dade County
04-27-2013, 05:11 PM
He's probably not going to stay with Washington, but it'd be cool if he did. I love to see young players embrace being on a bad team and making it better as appose to trying to trade themselves away to a better team as soon as possible.

Cool doesn't bring you championships

Cool doesn't stop people 12yrs from now making jokes about you, saying that you never won a ring

But if the organization (Wizards) hires the right front office & coach, and they can draft well, and build around you... then yeah, thats cool if you stay.

RossTalksSports
04-27-2013, 07:55 PM
His PER was good, and has improved each year since he's been in the league. I would expect that trend to continue, but should see a great leap if they either trade him or get him some talent around him.

I have to laugh when people call him a bust at this point.

People call John Wall a bust? They should look at the number two pick in that draft, Evan Turner. Any of my fellow Sixers fans know THAT is a bust. The worst part is that sites like ESPN had him projected as biggest bust before a single game was played their rookie year. He was that sad.

All of that is to say that John Wall is certainly not a bust and the Sixers would happily switch picks anytime if Washington was so inclined :)

slaker619
04-27-2013, 08:45 PM
#Heat or helping #Wizards if he really commits to them and if fails gets traded out of there.

Bravo95
04-27-2013, 08:45 PM
To the bank.

Becks2307
04-27-2013, 08:53 PM
Remember John Wall was predicted to be better than Rose. I think he explodes next season and becomes at top 7 PG

c.c.
04-27-2013, 11:03 PM
On some big market or super team when he's a free agent like all the others after they development