PDA

View Full Version : KD hires a personal analytics expert.

Longhornfan1234
04-24-2013, 11:14 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/kevin-durant-explains-friendly-rivalry-lebron-james-hires-225020480--nba.html

“I don’t watch a lot of other basketball away from the gym,” Durant says. “But I do look at LeBron’s box score. I want to see how many points, rebounds and assists he had, and how he shot from the field. If he had 30 points, nine rebounds and eight assists, I can tell you exactly how he did it, what type of shots he made and who he passed to.” Durant and James take flak for their friendship, but it is based on a mutual appreciation of the craft. They aren’t hanging out at the club. They are feverishly one-upping each other from afar. “People see two young black basketball players at the top of their game and think we should clash,” Durant says. “They want the conflict. They want the hate. They forget Bird cried for Magic. A friend was getting on me about this recently, and I said, ‘Calm down. I’m not taking it easy on him. Don’t you know I’m trying to destroy the guy every time I go on the court?’ ”

sunsfan88
04-24-2013, 11:21 PM
Is it just me or has Durant totally lost his "quiet, nice guy" attitude?

I'm not saying that he said anything wrong in this thread but it just seems that he's a lot more verbal this season. Picking up so many techs and whining about refs while also actually giving a lot more interviews and stuff like that.

I think playing for Team USA over the summer really changed his personality quite a lot. Good thing is that he doesn't have any off the court baggage and is still dominating the league.

Avenged
04-24-2013, 11:28 PM

I'm not saying that he said anything wrong in this thread but it just seems that he's a lot more verbal this season. Picking up so many techs and whining about refs while also actually giving a lot more interviews and stuff like that.

I think playing for Team USA over the summer really changed his personality quite a lot. Good thing is that he doesn't have any off the court baggage and is still dominating the league.

It's been a while since that KD was around.. Same w/ most of the Thunder team.. But yet somehow they still have that label of being humble.

yeah right.

PacersForLife
04-24-2013, 11:32 PM
I used to like the Thunder a lot more than I do now. I still like Durant, but they have definitely turned into a more cocky bunch. I guess that's not all bad.

topdog
04-24-2013, 11:33 PM
KD said he wanted to have more of a "mean streak." It's moving from "nice guy's finish last" to "I want to win, but that doesn't mean I'm going to start punching babies."

Slug3
04-24-2013, 11:34 PM
I feel like this is starting to get into KD's head now. Dude is getting so obsessed on how good lebron is playing and if he can match it. It's not like he's a bad basketball player or something, but until he decides to say F it all, he's going to be in Lebrons shadow and he is making it bigger than it should be.

Shkelqim
04-24-2013, 11:34 PM
I think he realized being quiet gets you no where. The way LeBron speaks you'd think basketball was named after him. Exactly how Durant wants to mimic in a way. He follows LeBrons stats.....

Blink
04-24-2013, 11:39 PM
Lol Durant

bucketss
04-24-2013, 11:39 PM

the media is slowly trying to turn him into the bad guy by asking certain questions that may make him look somewhat bad. iverson warned lebron of it, i see the same thing happening to durant very soon.

Shkelqim
04-24-2013, 11:42 PM
Unless he switches teams... Only way fans go against him.

sunsfan88
04-24-2013, 11:50 PM
It's been a while since that KD was around.. Same w/ most of the Thunder team.. But yet somehow they still have that label of being humble.

yeah right.

Oh the Thunder definitely aren't a "humble" team. Not with the kind of cheap shots that Perkins, and Ibaka all dish out.

I still think out of superstars, Durant is the 2nd most humble one. That could change soon though.

waveycrockett
04-24-2013, 11:50 PM
Durant just earned a ton of respect in my book for this. Shows how dedicated he is.

b@llhog24
04-24-2013, 11:52 PM
And here I was thinking that only fat, bald guys used advanced stats.

More-Than-Most
04-24-2013, 11:52 PM
I feel like this is starting to get into KD's head now. Dude is getting so obsessed on how good lebron is playing and if he can match it. It's not like he's a bad basketball player or something, but until he decides to say F it all, he's going to be in Lebrons shadow and he is making it bigger than it should be.

This. I love KD but damn Bron is in his head.

ThaDubs
04-24-2013, 11:54 PM
Durant is so honest. It's really awesome.

ThaDubs
04-24-2013, 11:57 PM
You guys are giving Durant a hard time. He's probably a great guy off the court. He is very competitive- always has been and always will be- but that doesn't mean he's all the sudden some cocky jerk. Honesty is a form of humbleness, and he's just being honest. LeBron would never kiss an old woman after accidentally hitting her in the head with a ball. He might **** her but that's it.

Clippersfan86
04-24-2013, 11:58 PM

Yup. He's actually making himself look quite pathetic in the process. I don't remember Clyde Drexler for example, clearly a lesser player than Jordan but prideful himself.. ever saying insecure sh** like this. Like seriously dude you're chasing boxscores?

JeffG20
04-24-2013, 11:59 PM
i kind of like Evil Durant

IKnowHoops
04-25-2013, 12:01 AM
This does not surprise me. His game was all about being a scoring machine. Now I see him sucking in the defense to set up other players much like Lebron. I think if hes gonna win an MVP, hes gonna have to do it being the best scorer in the game. He should try to be more like Mike. He will never be able to do what Bron does better than Bron. Durant is a more versatile scorer with a better shot so he should play more to his strengths. It is good to make his all around game as good as it can be, but there is no reason for him not to average 30+ a game.

More-Than-Most
04-25-2013, 12:05 AM
If Lebron/Kobe said half the **** that durant has said this year they would get caaaarushed and ridiculed endlessly. When Durant says it its he speaks truth or he is speaking his mind or I like an out spoken durant or he is competitive..... LOL WHAT?

naps
04-25-2013, 12:07 AM
Durant's honesty is what makes him great along with all his skills on the court. Gotta love him. I am sure most superstars, if not all, check LeBron's boxscore but few will ever admit.

akesh99
04-25-2013, 12:07 AM
I like this new edge he has. Definitely portrays his competitive side.

Avenged
04-25-2013, 12:08 AM
If Lebron/Kobe said half the **** that durant has said this year they would get caaaarushed and ridiculed endlessly. When Durant says it its he speaks truth or he is speaking his mind or I like an out spoken durant or he is competitive..... LOL WHAT?

Yup.. Remember how everyone made a big deal about Lebron's "stats" shirt? Now we have KD here saying he pays close attention to that stuff going as far as to hire somebody for it lmao. If Bron or Kobe said, forget about it!

That's not to say there is anything wrong with it.. Personally, I prefer confident players, trash talkers etc over always being politically correct.

Guppyfighter
04-25-2013, 12:11 AM
DOES DURANT EVEN PLAY BASKETBALL. ****ing stat geeks man. He probably never even did a pick up game, or hell, watch a game.

**** is weak, Durant.

kdspurman
04-25-2013, 12:16 AM

yeah right.

They're probably the exact opposite of that. Don't know why that label hasn't changed yet

More-Than-Most
04-25-2013, 12:21 AM
Yup.. Remember how everyone made a big deal about Lebron's "stats" shirt? Now we have KD here saying he pays close attention to that stuff going as far as to hire somebody for it lmao. If Bron or Kobe said, forget about it!

That's not to say there is anything wrong with it.. Personally, I prefer confident players, trash talkers etc over always being politically correct.

Same Boat....I love when they speak the truth or talk trash or just say whats on their minds. I just find it a bit comical that the same people that bury Lebron/Kobe for what they say in turn back Durant or cheer for durant or love Durant when he does it.

Knowledge
04-25-2013, 12:22 AM
The thread title is about Durant hiring a personal analytics expert, and yet nothing in the OP is about the analytics expert. I understand that you can read it in the article, as I read this when it first came out, but it would help others if the OP had the quotes/references to the analytics expert in the OP (if this is what this topic is about).

As far as Durant's attitude goes, I don't see anything wrong with it or him. He still strikes me as the same nice guy he was when he entered the league, its just that he isn't a 19 year old kid anymore. He is maturing while still trying to find himself on and off the court.

Based on some of the ignorant comments you can read on here (and around the internet in general), I can only imagine how unlikable most would seem if you had a camera in their face 24/7.

Clippersfan86
04-25-2013, 12:24 AM
I made a thread about their fake humility a couple months back. Ibaka is the cockiest, most disrespectful ******* in the NBA probably. DIRTY player, constantly mouthing off, showboating with gestures at opponents every time he makes a play. He's one of the NBA players where if he got hurt I wouldn't feel bad one bit because it might give him some perspective.

Then you have K-Whistle tripping over his own feet to get free throws and boxscore watching players and dreaming about if he could be as good as L-Train. Then you have Westbrook of course who's out of control, throwing chairs and screaming at teammates and coaches more than once. Constantly doing **** like flexing his muscles, shooting gun gestures for ANY kind of play. I mean Westbrook will hit an open jumper in the 2nd quarter and celebrate like he won the finals, I really don't get it.

Of course you also have K-Mart the flop maestro who's filled in for Harden nicely in that regard. Tonight he runs into a screen that wasn't even hard and flies like he got hit by a land mine. Just a pretty unlikable team of showboats and arrogant players IMO.

IKnowHoops
04-25-2013, 12:30 AM
The thread title is about Durant hiring a personal analytics expert, and yet nothing in the OP is about the analytics expert. I understand that you can read it in the article, as I read this when it first came out, but it would help others if the OP had the quotes/references to the analytics expert in the OP (if this is what this topic is about).

As far as Durant's attitude goes, I don't see anything wrong with it or him. He still strikes me as the same nice guy he was when he entered the league, its just that he isn't a 19 year old kid anymore. He is maturing while still trying to find himself on and off the court.

Based on some of the ignorant comments you can read on here (and around the internet in general), I can only imagine how unlikable most would seem if you had a camera in their face 24/7.

He's kind of going through the same stuff Bron went through. Just trying to figure out how to win a ring when he knows he has the ability to do it. He's frustrated and just trying to do whatever it takes. The only difference is he didn't have a third of the hype and because of that he doesn't have a third of the pressure that Lebron had on him to win.

Guppyfighter
04-25-2013, 12:32 AM
I made a thread about their fake humility a couple months back. Ibaka is the cockiest, most disrespectful ******* in the NBA probably. DIRTY player, constantly mouthing off, showboating with gestures at opponents every time he makes a play. He's one of the NBA players where if he got hurt I wouldn't feel bad one bit because it might give him some perspective.

Then you have K-Whistle tripping over his own feet to get free throws and boxscore watching players and dreaming about if he could be as good as L-Train. Then you have Westbrook of course who's out of control, throwing chairs and screaming at teammates and coaches more than once. Constantly doing **** like flexing his muscles, shooting gun gestures for ANY kind of play. I mean Westbrook will hit an open jumper in the 2nd quarter and celebrate like he won the finals, I really don't get it.

Of course you also have K-Mart the flop maestro who's filled in for Harden nicely in that regard. Tonight he runs into a screen that wasn't even hard and flies like he got hit by a land mine. Just a pretty unlikable team of showboats and arrogant players IMO.

Uh, Griffin has flopped against the Grizzlies already in their series. The patented badfoot work drive to the hoop, head flys back, flop.

It's pretty ****ing annoying seeing Clipper fans complain about flopping.

Clippersfan86
04-25-2013, 12:34 AM
Uh, Griffin has flopped against the Grizzlies already in their series. The patented badfoot work drive to the hoop, head flys back, flop.

It's pretty ****ing annoying seeing Clipper fans complain about flopping.

Idiotic logic that just because a player on the team I support happens to flop, I can't call out flopping. Especially because every team in the NBA has floppers. Memphis for example... Conley and Gasol have outflopped CP3 and Griffin in the first two games so far.

Griffin learned that headsnap flop from Marc Gasol who does it 3 times a game.

LayBraun
04-25-2013, 12:35 AM
Umm how do you get a job like this? Sign me up right now!!

Guppyfighter
04-25-2013, 12:35 AM
I didn't say you couldn't do it. I am just saying it's more annoying you say you hate players for flopping and than rationalize your own teams flopping constantly in other threads.

Clippersfan86
04-25-2013, 12:42 AM
I didn't say you couldn't do it. I am just saying it's more annoying you say you hate players for flopping and than rationalize your own teams flopping constantly in other threads.

I don't rationalize flopping as defined by the NBA. I defend things like Blake Griffin being flagrantly fouled with two hands, landing dramatically and that being called a flop and him being picked apart. NO person on the planet can defy physics and control a landing in which they are yanked hard off balance mid jump. It's literally IMPOSSIBLE. He isn't a cat, he's a human. As a whole.. I admit the Clippers flopped a lot last year, although this year it's very little.

I never said I was a fan of flopping or something, I just argued with what some people define flopping as. Kevin Martin is one of those floppers where very little to no contact and he goes flying (CP3 does too sometimes), not the same as what I'm defending. Anyways the flopping is just a cherry on top in this topic. For me 90 percent of it... is the attitude and showboating of OKC.

Purple_n_Gold
04-25-2013, 12:43 AM
This is getting ridiculous. What the hell would this guy be doing following someone else's box scores for? Is watching his box score going to somehow make you better? Worry about your own play not someone else's. Instead of chasing someone's box scores spend that extra time bulking up and lose that inferiority complex you got going on.

Guppyfighter
04-25-2013, 12:45 AM
This is getting ridiculous. What the hell would this guy be doing following someone else's box scores for? Is watching his box score going to somehow make you better? Worry about your own play not someone else's. Instead of chasing someone's box scores spend that extra time bulking up and lose that inferiority complex you got going on.

It's kind of important to know a dude you could possibly face in the final's tendency. I am sure Lebron studies up on KD too.

tredigs
04-25-2013, 12:46 AM

What are you talking about man? This is literally the polar opposite of wearing a "Check My Stats" shirt. He is giving a true glimpse of how much he reveres Bron's game and the stats he puts up, focusing on how efficiently he does it. Also admitting that he has hired an advanced stats coach to help him shore up weaknesses with what side of the court he is better on spot ups, where he can get better off cuts, etc.

That is a very humble/intelligent take on the game, and in no way is he boasting his stats in anyone's face. He's just giving honest responses on how he is attacking the game and aiming to improve. There is nobody who would ever bash Kobe or Lebron for doing something like that and admitting it. At least not for it being "cocky". Haha, that makes no sense dude.

Clippersfan86
04-25-2013, 12:48 AM
It's kind of important to know a dude you could possibly face in the final's tendency. I am sure Lebron studies up on KD too.

Comon man you know that's not what he's doing. ALL quality players watch film on opponents but boxscore watching and trying to break down the stats and WHY a player scores so efficiently etc? He's just insecure, has nothing to do with a POSSIBLE finals matchup. If that was the case then study the boxscores in the week before the finals start if you're there.

It's clear Durant's been trying his hardest to live up to Lebron if you just notice that all year long he's made a conscious effort to go for the all around stats rather than sticking with his strengths. Thunder fans have even complained a bunch about him trying way too hard to pass or rebound etc. Bottom line is Lebron is absolutely in his head bigtime and for somebody so damn good it's a shame he's that mentally shook.

Purple_n_Gold
04-25-2013, 12:51 AM
Yea when you get there. He's not there yet. For his team to beat the heat this year if they both get that far its gonna take a lot more than watching his box scores to help him. If that's what you got out of it then I don't know what to say. I took this as he is a Lebron Stan comes off pathetic. . He needs to worry about himself not other players. He doesn't have that trait that dominating players usually have. Usually great players don't think anyone is better than them and that's how the mind sets got to be. Do you think Russell Westbrook is watching Lebrons stats? Russell Westbrook I guarantee you thinks he is better than anyone in the game and you need to have that mentality. If we could just transplant their mentalities durant would be much better.

tredigs
04-25-2013, 12:52 AM
Comon man you know that's not what he's doing. ALL quality players watch film on opponents but boxscore watching and trying to break down the stats and WHY a player scores so efficiently etc? He's just insecure, has nothing to do with a POSSIBLE finals matchup. If that was the case then study the boxscores in the week before the finals start if you're there.

It's clear Durant's been trying his hardest to live up to Lebron if you just notice that all year long he's made a conscious effort to go for the all around stats rather than sticking with his strengths. Thunder fans have even complained a bunch about him trying way too hard to pass or rebound etc. Bottom line is Lebron is absolutely in his head bigtime and for somebody so damn good it's a shame he's that mentally shook.

Thunder fans have complained about him ''trying too hard to pass, rebound, play D etc". That is an awesome line. Meanwhile, he put up his best scoring season to date and the Thunder won 60 games / secured 1st in the Western Conference and are en route to rd. 2.

If only KD could just GET IT and only score, ya know?

Yea when you get there. He's not there yet. For his team to beat the heat this year if they both get that far its gonna take a lot more than watching his box scores to help him. If that's what you got out of it then I don't know what to say. I took this as he is a Lebron Stan comes off pathetic. . He needs to worry about himself not other players. He doesn't have that trait that dominating players usually have. Usually great players don't think anyone is better than them and that's how the mind sets got to be. Do you think Russell Westbrook is watching Lebrons stats? Russell Westbrook I guarantee you thinks he is better than anyone in the game and you need to have that mentality. If we could just transplant their mentalities durant would be much better.

You sure about that? Because I'm fairly certain KD's overall game got a lot better this season, including his scoring by every measure. The team seems to be responding well to it.

Guppyfighter
04-25-2013, 12:54 AM

Yeah, this stopped him from getting there last time. Westbrook's mentality hurts more than help. Tons of bad decisions from him.

Purple_n_Gold
04-25-2013, 12:57 AM
Thunder fans have complained about him ''trying too hard to pass, rebound, play D etc". That is an awesome line. Meanwhile, he put up his best scoring season to date and the Thunder won 60 games / secured 1st in the Western Conference and are en route to rd. 2.

You sure about that? Because I'm fairly certain KD's overall game got a lot better this season, including his scoring by every measure. The team seems to be responding well to it.
And that was from watching Lebrons stats right? That wasn't him just working on HIS weaknesses in the offseason? WOW

Clippersfan86
04-25-2013, 12:57 AM

You find it surprising that fans would complain when their perennial 28-30 ppg scorer gets way too pass happy and isn't aggressive? Sure it was his most efficient year scoring which is to be expected considering he's 24 and barely entering his prime/peak probably. Has nothing to do with the fact that sometimes he's tried too hard to facilitate and it's hurt the team at times. His FGA are are at career low rates right now when in actuality they should be going up considering he's so much more efficient than Westbrook and Harden is now gone.

Way to fail to watch the games to understand context as usual though before giving your opinion. Kevin Durant himself has talked about these things so nothing surprising here. He's trying harder to be more like Lebron and less like Kevin. I just don't see why a guy who's night and day different from the best player in the league wants to become more like him. Play to your strengths and be great in your own way.

Clippersfan86
04-25-2013, 12:58 AM
Duplicate.

Clippersfan86
04-25-2013, 01:01 AM
Again Tre you're failing in understanding that obviously a player like Durant who's a 24 year old SUPERSTAR and 2nd best player in the game is going to improve. That doesn't mean he should be focusing on Lebron's boxscores and like I said it just comes off pathetic and insecure to me. He just seems to have a weird relationship with Lebron that irks me. Work out together in the summer as BFF's... then acting like a little brother trying to one up the big brother during the year and obsessing about him. Just rubs me the wrong way.

tredigs
04-25-2013, 01:02 AM
And that was from watching Lebrons stats right? That wasn't him just working on HIS weaknesses in the offseason? WOW

Did you comprehend what the article was saying, and what this thread is about? It's about him hiring an advanced stats coach to help illustrate to him exactly where it is his weaknesses on the court are, and how he can improve his shot selection, etc, in order to "remove the bad apples". He sees James as a player who has clearly done that, and he is working towards a similar goal - very clearly trying to do it better than Lebron does - hence, "sick of being 2nd".

For people to take that as a negative or better yet, KD being "cocky", is beyond me. The kid is trying to improve, and clearly is doing just that. Are people this desperate to hate KD?

Again Tre you're failing in understanding that obviously a player like Durant who's a 24 year old SUPERSTAR and 2nd best player in the game is going to improve. That doesn't mean he should be focusing on Lebron's boxscores and like I said it just comes off pathetic and insecure to me. He just seems to have a weird relationship with Lebron that irks me. Work out together in the summer as BFF's... then acting like a little brother trying to one up the big brother during the year and obsessing about him. Just rubs me the wrong way.

All well and good for you to think that way, but I'm on Durant's side on this one. He knows - like everyone else - who the best in the game is, and it seems as if he's obsessed with dethroning Lebron from that. Good for him. Most superstars do not have that drive and do not improve like KD has, hate to break it to you. See: Melo.

Purple_n_Gold
04-25-2013, 01:03 AM
Yeah, this stopped him from getting there last time. Westbrook's mentality hurts more than help. Tons of bad decisions from him.
His mentality hurts more than helps I don't think so. He is a top pg in the league so if it hurt more than helped he wouldn't be that.

Guppyfighter
04-25-2013, 01:03 AM
Man, Kevin Durant wants to be the best player in the league.

Get that **** out of here Durant.

Guppyfighter
04-25-2013, 01:05 AM
His mentality hurts more than helps I don't think so. He is a top pg in the league so if it hurt more than helped he wouldn't be that.

Uh, it's basically his flaw. Great athleticism, quick, has a J.

Flaws: Bad decision making, shoots a good amount of his lay ups off the wrong foot, which causes him to miss more lay ups than he should.

CHANGO
04-25-2013, 01:06 AM
He isn't saying nothing bad here, or nothing that makes him look bad. BUT I think that show a bit of insecurity, I don't know. It shows eagerness too, but you are seeing every game stats of that other player to beat them in the game. I think he should focus on himself and not on Lebron, he's not Lebron.

That's like Lebron saying I watch Durant by game stats to see his FT% and match it on every game.

Anyways, no biggie here, just want to see them going at each other!

Purple_n_Gold
04-25-2013, 01:07 AM
Did you comprehend what the article was saying, and what this thread is about? It's about him hiring an advanced stats coach to help illustrate to him exactly where it is his weaknesses on the court are, and how he can improve his shot selection, etc, in order to "remove the bad apples". He sees James as a player who has clearly done that, and he is working towards a similar goal - very clearly trying to do it better than Lebron does - hence, "sick of being 2nd".
For people to take that as a negative or better yet, KD being "cocky", is beyond me. The kid is trying to improve, and clearly is doing just that. Are people this desperate to hate KD?
Did you comprehend the article or anything? The title of this thread was he hired an analytics person. NOWHERE in this article does it mention that. Anyway take away what you want from what you read and I will do the same. I do not really give a damn what your opinion is honestly. You responded to mine with ignorant non informative comments.

Purple_n_Gold
04-25-2013, 01:11 AM
Uh, it's basically his flaw. Great athleticism, quick, has a J.

Flaws: Bad decision making, shoots a good amount of his lay ups off the wrong foot, which causes him to miss more lay ups than he should.
Lol. Ok. I'm not going to waste time explaining anything to you about how his mentality is a bigger positive than negative. Sure he could change a few things but if you don't think his mentality is part of what makes him a great player then to each his own...

Purple_n_Gold
04-25-2013, 01:13 AM
Man, Kevin Durant wants to be the best player in the league.

Get that **** out of here Durant.
You become the best player in the league by doing what you do best and perfecting it. Not trying to be more like a player who is nothing like you.

Clippersfan86
04-25-2013, 01:14 AM
An even bigger thing in this article that nobody has mentioned is the overall bigger problem that in general Lebron, Wade and Durant have all constantly talked about stats in general and how obsessed they are with them. You think Michael Jordan was obsessed with stats? Kobe obsessed with stats? I mean what happened to the guys that didn't give a **** about what people thought about them?

I mean Wade idiotically mentioned how him and Lebron compare each other's stat lines after games and make it a competition during games on shooting percentages? I mean who gives a **** man. Leave everything on the court to try to win games and stop over thinking it. I think the overuse of stats has done a lot of damage to the integrity of the game. People now are judged purely from an analytic perspective and intangibles are cast aside. Michael Jordan's greatness wasn't primarily from the stats he put up but rather from the intangibles. The things that aren't measured like willpower, fire, leadership, work ethic etc.

That's what separates Jordan from let's say similarly gifted athletes like Vince Carter.

Clippersfan86
04-25-2013, 01:14 AM
You become the best player in the league by doing what you do best and perfecting it. Not trying to be more like a player who is nothing like you.

Exactly. They are so different as players it just sounds like he's a wannabe.

Guppyfighter
04-25-2013, 01:15 AM
Lol. Ok. I'm not going to waste time explaining anything to you about how his mentality is a bigger positive than negative. Sure he could change a few things but if you don't think his mentality is part of what makes him a great player then to each his own...

Him thinking he is the best player on the court doesn't help his game. He would be better if he was aware of his flaws and improved upon them.

Guppyfighter
04-25-2013, 01:16 AM
Yeah, Durant measuring his percentage off of screens means he doesn't have the right mentality.

You caught him.

Purple_n_Gold
04-25-2013, 01:17 AM
An even bigger thing in this article that nobody has mentioned is the overall bigger problem that in general Lebron, Wade and Durant have all constantly talked about stats in general and how obsessed they are with them. You think Michael Jordan was obsessed with stats? Kobe obsessed with stats? I mean what happened to the guys that didn't give a **** about what people thought about them?

I mean Wade idiotically mentioned how him and Lebron compare each other's stat lines after games and make it a competition during games on shooting percentages? I mean who gives a **** man. Leave everything on the court to try to win games and stop over thinking it. I think the overuse of stats has done a lot of damage to the integrity of the game. People now are judged purely from an analytic perspective and intangibles are cast aside. Michael Jordan's greatness wasn't primarily from the stats he put up but rather from the intangibles. The things that aren't measured like willpower, fire, leadership, work ethic etc.
God do I agree with this. When you are in a game you should have no idea what your stats are just play to win the ****ing game. This stat **** is getting ridiculous players think their legacy will be defined by only these stats. Stats only tell half the story.

PatsSoxKnicks
04-25-2013, 01:18 AM
Did anyone here actually READ THE ARTICLE? He hired the "personal analytics expert" to help him weed out the bad shots and increase the good shots. To help his efficiency.

Although it doesn't help that the OP selectively chose which quote he wanted to include. Seeing who the OP is, I'm not surprised.

Anyways, here's the actual quote on the personal analytics expert. It has nothing to do with him checking Lebron's box score, he hired the analytics expert to help him understand where he should be shooting from and where he's weaker from.

Durant has hired his own analytics expert. He tailors workouts to remedy numerical imbalances. He harps on efficiency more than a Prius dealer. To Durant, basketball is an orchard, and every shot an apple. “Let’s say you’ve got 40 apples on your tree,” Durant explains. “I could eat about 30 of them, but I’ve begun limiting myself to 15 or 16. Let’s take the wide-open three and the post-up at the nail. Those are good apples. Let’s throw out the pull-up three in transition and the step-back fadeaway. Those are rotten apples. The three at the top of the circle — that’s an in-between apple. We only want the very best on the tree.”

Guppyfighter
04-25-2013, 01:19 AM
God do I agree with this. When you are in a game you should have no idea what your stats are just play to win the ****ing game. This stat **** is getting ridiculous players think their legacy will be defined by only these stats. Stats only tell half the story.

Yeah, him trying to shoot at a higher rate really hurts his teams chance of winning. Him excluding ineffective shots from his game hurts his team.

tredigs
Did you comprehend the article or anything? The title of this thread was he hired an analytics person. NOWHERE in this article does it mention that. Anyway take away what you want from what you read and I will do the same. I do not really give a damn what your opinion is honestly. You responded to mine with ignorant non informative comments.
I know the article has a lot of words and they can get confusing, so I'll put the 3+ paragraphs that you must have missed in here for you big guy:

The most interesting revelation of the story, frankly, is that Durant has hired a personal analytics expert to help him improve his game:
Kevin Durant sat in a leather terminal chair next to a practice court and pointed toward the 90-degree- angle at the upper-right corner of the key that represents the elbow. “See that spot,” Durant said. “I used to shoot 38, 39 percent from there off the catch coming around pin-down screens.” He paused for emphasis. “I’m up to 45, 46 percent now.”

Durant has hired his own analytics expert. He tailors workouts to remedy numerical imbalances. He harps on efficiency more than a Prius dealer. To Durant, basketball is an orchard, and every shot an apple. “Let’s say you’ve got 40 apples on your tree,” Durant explains. “I could eat about 30 of them, but I’ve begun limiting myself to 15 or 16. Let’s take the wide-open three and the post-up at the nail. Those are good apples. Let’s throw out the pull-up three in transition and the step-back fadeaway. Those are rotten apples. The three at the top of the circle — that’s an in-between apple. We only want the very best on the tree.”
It's now accepted practice for teams to employ advanced-metrics analysts to guide their roster construction and game strategies, but players have typically not embraced the conclusions of statistical analysis so explicitly. For instance, stats can tell John Wall that he has a new sweet spot without his acknowledging it as such, and optical tracking equipment can provide data that players never encounter directly. These developments have changed the form of NBA basketball without becoming standard parts of players' routines, excluding the rare player like Shane Battier.
Durant has always seemed like the kind of player who would use any tactic to his advantage, so it makes sense that he's used analytics to this degree. If he continues to become more efficient and the Thunder improve accordingly, it would not be surprising to see more players get into analytics in similar fashions. The NBA is a copycat league, after all, and isolated success taken from one new practice can quickly turn into a trend. Players aren't into analytics now, but they likely would be as soon as a high-profile star used them to his advantage. No one had heard of platelet-rich plasma therapy before Kobe Bryant used it on his knees, and now it's all the rage.
In other words, Durant could be starting a trend that will change the way athletes approach the sport.

Clippersfan86

It's annoying as ****. What's worse is.. fans are now using stats as some sort of end all as well because it's the only thing they can actually materialize. Despite the fact that anybody with a brain knows damn well intangibles matter BIG TIME. Ask Michael Jordan what made him so great? He always talks about his hatred to lose, his fire, his relentless work ethic. Let's see stats explain or quantify those?

Yet you have people posting stats vs stats and acting like that's the final word on everything. Like you said a player has NO FU**ING business looking at stat sheets during games or having inner team shooting comparisons. If I was a coach I'd go off on players for having their minds on **** like this.

Purple_n_Gold
04-25-2013, 01:20 AM
Him thinking he is the best player on the court doesn't help his game. He would be better if he was aware of his flaws and improved upon them.
Ok man this is going nowhere. You are not understanding my point at all. If you think great players who think they are the best dont still try to be even better than I don't know what to tell you. It's like to get you to understand anything I'd have to break down what I am saying into 20 very basic thoughts. We don't have time for that.

Clippersfan86
04-25-2013, 01:22 AM
Yeah, him trying to shoot at a higher rate really hurts his teams chance of winning. Him excluding ineffective shots from his game hurts his team.

Not one of us has criticized that aspect of the discussion/article. Durant breaking down his own game and trying to work on weaknesses is 100 percent commendable and deserves respect. My gripe and Purple's has to do more with him seemingly trying to 1 up Lebron and the fact that these players in general are becoming overly stat obsessed.

Guppyfighter
04-25-2013, 01:23 AM
Ok man this is going nowhere. You are not understanding my point at all. If you think great players who think they are the best dont still try to be even better than I don't know what to tell you. It's like to get you to understand anything I'd have to break down what I am saying into 20 very basic thoughts. We don't have time for that.

http://youtu.be/LOhwicwiHsg?t=11s MAN, THIS DURANT KID, JUST DOESN'T HAVE THAT MENTALITY, YOU KNOW

If Westbrook was aware of his flaws from a year ago, why hasn't he fixed them this year, png?

Purple_n_Gold
04-25-2013, 01:23 AM
I know the article has a lot of words and they can get confusing, so I'll put the 3+ paragraphs that you must have missed in here for you big guy:
Thanks buddy you are so smart. I read the excerpt not the link. You are really smart to not get that without me explaining that to you. You must have a very high IQ tre. Do you prefer Tre or Diggs?

Guppyfighter
04-25-2013, 01:25 AM
Thanks buddy you are so smart. I read the excerpt not the link. You are really smart to not get that without me explaining that to you. You must have a very high IQ tre. Do you prefer Tre or Diggs?

I think the important part is you somehow found a way to be pretentious about him being angry you didn't read an article.

Purple_n_Gold
04-25-2013, 01:25 AM
Not one of us has criticized that aspect of the discussion/article. Durant breaking down his own game and trying to work on weaknesses is 100 percent commendable and deserves respect. My gripe and Purple's has to do more with him seemingly trying to 1 up Lebron and the fact that these players in general are becoming overly stat obsessed.
Trying to explain this is a waste of time. You got one guy who doesn't read beyond the sentences written. Then you got another smartie who couldn't figure out from my comments that I obviously read an excerpt and not an entire article.

Purple_n_Gold
04-25-2013, 01:26 AM
I think the important part is you somehow found a way to be pretentious about him being angry you didn't read an article.
That's cute. Who said chivalry is dead?

Guppyfighter
04-25-2013, 01:27 AM
"We don't think trying to be the best player in the league will help his team. It makes you lack the killer edge. You know, trying to be better at basketball hurts your team, I think.

justinnum1
04-25-2013, 01:30 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/kevin-durant-explains-friendly-rivalry-lebron-james-hires-225020480--nba.html

“I don’t watch a lot of other basketball away from the gym,” Durant says. “But I do look at LeBron’s box score. I want to see how many points, rebounds and assists he had, and how he shot from the field. If he had 30 points, nine rebounds and eight assists, I can tell you exactly how he did it, what type of shots he made and who he passed to.” Durant and James take flak for their friendship, but it is based on a mutual appreciation of the craft. They aren’t hanging out at the club. They are feverishly one-upping each other from afar. “People see two young black basketball players at the top of their game and think we should clash,” Durant says. “They want the conflict. They want the hate. They forget Bird cried for Magic. A friend was getting on me about this recently, and I said, ‘Calm down. I’m not taking it easy on him. Don’t you know I’m trying to destroy the guy every time I go on the court?’ ”

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?763323-5-Bold-Predictions&p=23683580#post23683580

Clippersfan86
04-25-2013, 01:32 AM
Remember when KD admitted he passes up buzzer beating shots to conserve his percentages? Why would a player do that unless they were mentally weak and obsessed with how people view them (insecure)? You think Bird or Jordan ever passed those shots up? Hell no. It's a chance for 2 or 3 points even if the odds are bad. This is sad.

tredigs
04-25-2013, 01:33 AM

Says the person who just got done trying to bash me after writing "NOWHERE IN THE ARTICLE DID IT SAY HE HIRED AN ANALYTICS PERSON". But you're right, that clearly shows us that you obviously were saying you only read the excerpt.

Gotta love audacious+proud stupidity.

Guppyfighter
04-25-2013, 01:34 AM
Remember when KD admitted he passes up buzzer beating shots to conserve his percentages? Why would a player do that unless they were mentally weak and obsessed with how people view them (insecure)? You think Bird or Jordan ever passed those shots up? Hell no. It's a chance for 2 or 3 points even if the odds are bad. This is sad.

Man, a guy passes up shots in the regular season.

Kind of really unimportant in basketball, the regular season that is.

Purple_n_Gold
04-25-2013, 01:36 AM
Remember when KD admitted he passes up buzzer beating shots to conserve his percentages? Why would a player do that unless they were mentally weak and obsessed with how people view them (insecure)? You think Bird or Jordan ever passed those shots up? Hell no. It's a chance for 2 or 3 points even if the odds are bad.
It's ruining the game. To think you can always pick your shots is ridiculous. Sometimes you have to take tough shots. Sometimes you have to take tough shots to win games. If you are thinking about stats during that moment then you are a statistician not a basketball player.

Clippersfan86
04-25-2013, 01:37 AM
Regular season matters a ton. Especially in the west where just one game can separate multiple seedings, although due to the Spurs late season choke it didn't matter for OKC as they held the 1 seed. Just because there were no consequences doesn't mean it's not pathetic.

Guppyfighter
04-25-2013, 01:38 AM
It's ruining the game. To think you can always pick your shots is ridiculous. Sometimes you have to take tough shots. Sometimes you have to take tough shots to win games. If you are thinking about stats during that moment then you are a statistician not a basketball player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wXqnGIc_7Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOhwicwiHsg

Getting the best possible shot downt he floor every single time down, is actually a good thing, contrary to the Laker fans mentality.

Guppyfighter
04-25-2013, 01:39 AM
Regular season matters a ton. Especially in the west where just one game can separate multiple seedings, although due to the Spurs late season choke it didn't matter for OKC as they held the 1 seed. Just because there were no consequences doesn't mean it's not pathetic.

If you catch Durant doing that in the playoffs, I could probably care, but eh, not really. HCA is overstated. It's one extra game.

Purple_n_Gold
04-25-2013, 01:40 AM
Says the person who just got done trying to bash me after writing "NOWHERE IN THE ARTICLE DID IT SAY HE HIRED AN ANALYTICS PERSON". But you're right, that clearly shows us that you obviously were saying you only read the excerpt.

Gotta love audacious+proud stupidity.
Really which means you must really love yourself. It's called stating the obvious. Do you need pictures to understand things that shouldn't need to be said? Sometimes I guess people like you can't understand the obvious. Next time I will draw you a picture okay Trediggity? You need to constantly keep quoting what I wrote to justify your statement when obviously I wasn't clear on what I read. Would think that someone with half a brain would understand what I read even though I made a mistake with what I wrote but I guess you are stuck with a qtr brain.

Clippersfan86
04-25-2013, 01:40 AM

That's one of the reasons I've always loved Kobe. He's old school in the sense that he doesnt care if he shoots 30 percent if they are winning. He leaves it all on the court everytime and wants those tough or "impossible" scenarios.

Guppyfighter
04-25-2013, 01:42 AM
Yeah, the guy who hired his own analytic guy to try to outbest Lebron clearly doesn't have that edge about him.

Pfft, mother****er only made the finals once.

Purple_n_Gold
04-25-2013, 01:44 AM
Oh yeah Mr genius if you want to insult someone at least use proper English. I think you meant to say audaciousness, but hey you can't comprehend anything unless it is broken down for you and you have pictures so I understand tre. By the way do you know what the meaning of that word is?

Clippersfan86
04-25-2013, 01:45 AM
If you catch Durant doing that in the playoffs, I could probably care, but eh, not really. HCA is overstated. It's one extra game.

Do you know that teams with homecourt win 78 percent of series? It matters. It's not about the extra game. It's about starting at home the first two games. Even this year home teams are dominant and nearly undefeated so far with just 2 road losses in what 20 something games?

Purple_n_Gold
04-25-2013, 01:47 AM
That's one of the reasons I've always loved Kobe. He's old school in the sense that he doesnt care if he shoots 30 percent if they are winning. He leaves it all on the court everytime and wants those tough or "impossible" scenarios.
Yea. Alright man nice talking to someone who shares the same ideas I do and who understands what I'm getting at without having to break the obvious down. I'm out. Can't keep going back and forth with these guys. It's a waste of time. Bottom line is everybody's got their own opinions, some people's are just smarter than others.

Guppyfighter
04-25-2013, 01:47 AM
Do you know that teams with homecourt win 78 percent of series? It matters. It's not about the extra game. It's about starting at home the first two games. Even this year home teams are dominant and nearly undefeated so far with just 2 road losses in what 20 something games?

I talked **** to a Warrior fan who said that in our forum (not the same stat, similar in nature.)

It's the stat that gives stats bad names. It's a correlation =/= Causation fallacy. They aren't winning because they have home court, they have homecourt because they are the better team.

And those odds change from series to series. Spurs are not a 22 percent chance to beat the Thunder in a series. It's closer to 40-60.

Guppyfighter
04-25-2013, 01:48 AM
Yea. Alright man nice talking to someone who shares the same ideas I do and who understands what I'm getting at without having to break the obvious down. I'm out. Can't keep going back and forth with these guys. It's a waste of time. Bottom line is everybody's got their own opinions, some people's are just smarter than others.

Yeah, who wants a forum where there are disagreements. That's probably the best way to have the best discussion. All circlejerk with the same exact thought process. That's how you find the best idea.

naps
04-25-2013, 01:50 AM

Please tell me what does this entire post have anything to do in this specific thread? Have you ever said anything worthy in all your PSD life?

Clippersfan86
04-25-2013, 01:57 AM
Guppy I agree being the better team matters although as I pointed out before the talent disparity is very small at least in the west between the 3 and 6 and the 4 and 5, making that less relevant. As for naps.. Read through the thread before calling somebody out and coming off like a tool. OP's structuring mislead everybody and my response was directly to somebody else who mentioned the arrogance of the Thunder.

ThuglifeJ
04-25-2013, 01:58 AM
I used to like the Thunder a lot more than I do now. I still like Durant, but they have definitely turned into a more cocky bunch. I guess that's not all bad.

Yup

This is common. A nice guy (Durant) gets caught up in the idea that being nice is correlating to the losing, when really it's just because another was better and the timing was off. If the Thunder and Durant were to just keep their patience, stay humble, things would eventually work out.

if ur gonna be an ******* be one from the start. dont try to be nice n crap then an *******.

see: Kobe

Guppyfighter
04-25-2013, 01:59 AM
I like durant more now. HE is trying to get that proverbial edge. Badass ****.

CHANGO
04-25-2013, 02:00 AM
YUP I was ignorant and didn't read the whole article. There's nothing wrong with this, and it doesn't show insecurity. In FACT only shows his eagerness to get better by taking efficient shots.

Props to him for that move.

ThuglifeJ
04-25-2013, 02:39 AM

Yup.
I try to make myself like Durant..his favorite player is even VC (my favorite player), and he portrays himself as humble and cool.. For some reason I just can't like him that much.

A big reason why is once I found out how obsessed he is with stats. He even said he won't throw up a half courter because it hurts on his FG%.

With the direction it's heading, we might as well start putting robots out there instead.

Really. What happened basketball. Jordan didn't think about statistics the whole time on the floor.
young players now days..you see this. Like Durant, OJ Mayo. Guys like that. They're all focused and **** about where to take the smart shot...thats cool..but sometimes you gotta just take the ball when ur teams struggling, and make a tough shot or get to the line. Sometimes you gotta say screw it I'm feeling this shot right here. Next thing you know you're drawing doubles which are leaving other players open. There's no advanced stat that shows how often you get double teamed..

Kobe keeps it real. There's more to basketball then stats. A lot.

Chronz
04-25-2013, 03:11 AM
Yup. He's actually making himself look quite pathetic in the process. I don't remember Clyde Drexler for example, clearly a lesser player than Jordan but prideful himself.. ever saying insecure sh** like this. Like seriously dude you're chasing boxscores?

WTF? Whats insecure about it? Are you saying Larry Bird (notorious box-score watcher) was insecure?

Put the crackpipe down

tredigs
04-25-2013, 03:14 AM
Yup.
I try to make myself like Durant..his favorite player is even VC (my favorite player), and he portrays himself as humble and cool.. For some reason I just can't like him that much.

A big reason why is once I found out how obsessed he is with stats. He even said he won't throw up a half courter because it hurts on his FG%.

With the direction it's heading, we might as well start putting robots out there instead.

Really. What happened basketball. Jordan didn't think about statistics the whole time on the floor.
young players now days..you see this. Like Durant, OJ Mayo. Guys like that. They're all focused and **** about where to take the smart shot...thats cool..but sometimes you gotta just take the ball when ur teams struggling, and make a tough shot or get to the line. Sometimes you gotta say screw it I'm feeling this shot right here. Next thing you know you're drawing doubles which are leaving other players open. There's no advanced stat that shows how often you get double teamed..

People make way too much about that half-court comment. You guys also need to realize that people have been doing this for decades, along with stat watching in many other areas. Wilt was notorious for it to a fault, that much is for sure. But it shows you the history. Don't be ignorant to that just because you're not used to an NBA player being honest about it. Beyond that, you really don't see KD do it in a situation where it can come back to haunt him. He chucked a 60 footer in the final second of the 2nd quarter of tonight's game, if you did not notice.

You also are probably not getting the point if you think that the obsession with stats is about accumulating numbers. It's not. He is into "Advanced" stats, aka he wants to understand where the exact weaknesses are in his game and how he can best improve them/take advantage of his strengths. It's brilliant, and despite losing Harden the team got even better this year. Why? Largely because Durant got much better.

Do you guys actually think Durant's scared to take the big shots? Of course not. He's just trying to understand what his stupid shots are and avoiding them. If guys like Kobe and Melo knew how to do that and when to sacrifice their own egos and pass the rock rather than take the 28 foot super low% fade, they would be that much more impressive. And their teams might be as good as OKC.

Guppyfighter
04-25-2013, 03:14 AM
Yup.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Okay. You outted yourself. You didn't actually watch Jordan. He was notorious for being a stat watcher. He constantly went to the scorekeeper.

Chronz
04-25-2013, 03:15 AM
An even bigger thing in this article that nobody has mentioned is the overall bigger problem that in general Lebron, Wade and Durant have all constantly talked about stats in general and how obsessed they are with them.
Thats a good thing in my book.

You think Michael Jordan was obsessed with stats?
LMFAO hell yeah he was.

Kobe obsessed with stats? I mean what happened to the guys that didn't give a **** about what people thought about them?
They learned the importance of stats.

I mean Wade idiotically mentioned how him and Lebron compare each other's stat lines after games and make it a competition during games on shooting percentages? I mean who gives a **** man. Leave everything on the court to try to win games and stop over thinking it.
Who says they arent leaving everything on the court? Being efficient is what wins games, thats what they were comparing.

I think the overuse of stats has done a lot of damage to the integrity of the game. People now are judged purely from an analytic perspective and intangibles are cast aside. Michael Jordan's greatness wasn't primarily from the stats he put up but rather from the intangibles. The things that aren't measured like willpower, fire, leadership, work ethic etc.
Based on what?

That's what separates Jordan from let's say similarly gifted athletes like Vince Carter.
LOL

Chronz
04-25-2013, 03:16 AM
Both of you are kings of strawmen arguments.

Chronz
04-25-2013, 03:18 AM

For **** sake read the article

Chronz
04-25-2013, 03:24 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHA

Okay. You outted yourself. You didn't actually watch Jordan. He was notorious for being a stat watcher. He constantly went to the scorekeeper.
Its funny watching he and CF put their foots in their mouths. CF hates stats because hes horrible at analyzing them and wishes intangibles mattered so much more, that way he can get away with the hilarious **** he spews. Imagine that, people refer to them as "the little things" for a reason. They help, but in order to prove a player lacks intangibles you gotta give more than rah rah posts about players that you obviously know so little about.

ThuglifeJ
04-25-2013, 03:27 AM

Yup.

Chronz
04-25-2013, 03:34 AM
How did you double post like an hour later?

lol at the line "where its heading", just when did you start watching basketball?

Chronz
04-25-2013, 03:53 AM
What do you think about Hakeem and his workouts with other players? Does that rub you the wrong way?

More importantly, why do you even care?

Im_in_Mia_bish
04-25-2013, 05:21 AM
obsession with lebron.. yikes.

Im_in_Mia_bish
04-25-2013, 05:23 AM
on a serious note, kobe bryant looked at video tapes to mimic jordan, and countless players ripped on legends, lebron took a few pages from a few legend's books, so i have absolutely NO PROBLEM with durant doing this. it just shows his dedication to expand his game. good for him.

jam
04-25-2013, 06:10 AM
Unless Durant can gain 50 lbs. of lean mass and add 5+" to his vertical, he's not going to be able to match Lebron's stat lines any time soon.

As much as Durant's game has improved, the gulf between his game and Lebron's has only increased, which is pretty damn frightening.

ambisme56
04-25-2013, 07:43 AM
Durant and Westbrook are becoming my top 5 favorite players in the NBA...my other 3 are D-will (yes, I'm a Net fan but he was always 1 of my favorites when he was in Utah), Kenyon Martin (wish he had a better career after the Nets, but is playing a nice role now with the Knicks), and Pierce (love his all around game).

Duncan is up there too...I really want him to win the championship this year if my Nets don't.

TheIlladelph16
04-25-2013, 09:30 AM
How is Durant possibly being ripped for this? Efficiency wins games.

He is already the best scorer in the NBA, so by thread logic here he should be ripped because he's trying to get even better....?

joykilla
04-25-2013, 09:55 AM
Don't really understand why KD is getting ripped for this. The dude spoke his mind, and was honest that he looks at the best in the business box score to see where and how he took over games. I think people would be surprised how much other nba players check that stuff as well. Its appreciating the art of the game.

I don't mind the "evil" kd, I just think he is coming into his own and maturing as a person / player. Would be interesting to see if he played in a bigger market how he would handle the media. I personally love him just saying it would be fun to see how he would approach it.

Slug3
04-25-2013, 10:17 AM
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?763323-5-Bold-Predictions&p=23683580#post23683580

LOL you just got to let it go. He is not a man of his words is all.

Longhornfan1234
04-25-2013, 12:03 PM
He didn't averaged 22/50%. He averaged 21/50%

Ebbs
04-25-2013, 12:22 PM
KD said he wanted to have more of a "mean streak." It's moving from "nice guy's finish last" to "I want to win, but that doesn't mean I'm going to start punching babies."

:nod:

Hawkeye15
04-25-2013, 12:26 PM

yeah right.

I agree with this.

Sactown
04-25-2013, 12:29 PM
I agree with this.

Why should they be humble though? They're arguably the 2nd best team in the league and are no longer young pups... they're all seasoned vets and the time for being humble and looking up at the greats is over... they are the greats, it's time to smash!

meloman1592
04-25-2013, 12:59 PM
There's nothing wrong with trying to one up your competition but KD just seems like he's on Lebrons dick to be honest

Stinkyoutsider
04-25-2013, 12:59 PM
I'm liking a few of the things Durant has said recently, especially about him not standing for being 2nd anymore. His outlook is changing and it seems like he's becoming just the type of guy who needs to lead a talented team like OKC.

I don't necessarily care for this comment though, about following Lebron's stat line (unless he said he follow's every star's stat line in the NBA).

I think the guys can be friends off the court to an extent, but he's got to know that he's going nowhere until Lebron is out of the way.

I don't see the Magic and Bird comparison working here right now. These 2 guys instantly started off as rivals and absolutely hated each other. Their friendship came out of respect for each other as rivals but I just can't seeing Magic and Bird working out/hanging out together while in their primes.

tredigs
04-25-2013, 01:23 PM
I'm liking a few of the things Durant has said recently, especially about him not standing for being 2nd anymore. His outlook is changing and it seems like he's becoming just the type of guy who needs to lead a talented team like OKC.

I don't necessarily care for this comment though, about following Lebron's stat line (unless he said he follow's every star's stat line in the NBA).

I think the guys can be friends off the court to an extent, but he's got to know that he's going nowhere until Lebron is out of the way.

I don't see the Magic and Bird comparison working here right now. These 2 guys instantly started off as rivals and absolutely hated each other. Their friendship came out of respect for each other as rivals but I just can't seeing Magic and Bird working out/hanging out together while in their primes.
Did you seriously ever see that? That rivalry was so good it seems fake. Everything from their polar opposite attitudes, race (especially at that time, this was a huge deal), cities/teams, etc. And the fact that they came up at the same time to lead championship caliber teams off the bat. Lebron and KD could never have that rivalry, nobody in the game could or has before or since. It went beyond sport and in turn revitalized the entire sport.

b@llhog24
04-25-2013, 01:25 PM
Thread embodies the "missing the point" fallacy.

tredigs
04-25-2013, 01:25 PM
I agree with this.

I agree with this too. I also think it's 100% irrelevant.

Chronz
04-25-2013, 01:27 PM
Unless Durant can gain 50 lbs. of lean mass and add 5+" to his vertical, he's not going to be able to match Lebron's stat lines any time soon.

As much as Durant's game has improved, the gulf between his game and Lebron's has only increased, which is pretty damn frightening.

Based on what?

OceanSpray
04-25-2013, 01:52 PM
Durant isn't sucking up to LeBron. You guys don't know the difference.. He's trying to see the progression LeBron has made so he can eventually become as good. I don't get why it's wrong for Durant to appreciate LeBron's or any other player's game. At the end of the day, they are both trying to win a championship.

IKnowHoops
04-25-2013, 02:09 PM
This does not surprise me. His game was all about being a scoring machine. Now I see him sucking in the defense to set up other players much like Lebron. I think if hes gonna win an MVP, hes gonna have to do it being the best scorer in the game. He should try to be more like Mike. He will never be able to do what Bron does better than Bron. Durant is a more versatile scorer with a better shot so he should play more to his strengths. It is good to make his all around game as good as it can be, but there is no reason for him not to average 30+ a game.

Just watched first take and I think they must of read my post because they just said what I typed above verbatim.

IKnowHoops
04-25-2013, 02:22 PM
People make way too much about that half-court comment. You guys also need to realize that people have been doing this for decades, along with stat watching in many other areas. Wilt was notorious for it to a fault, that much is for sure. But it shows you the history. Don't be ignorant to that just because you're not used to an NBA player being honest about it. Beyond that, you really don't see KD do it in a situation where it can come back to haunt him. He chucked a 60 footer in the final second of the 2nd quarter of tonight's game, if you did not notice.

You also are probably not getting the point if you think that the obsession with stats is about accumulating numbers. It's not. He is into "Advanced" stats, aka he wants to understand where the exact weaknesses are in his game and how he can best improve them/take advantage of his strengths. It's brilliant, and despite losing Harden the team got even better this year. Why? Largely because Durant got much better.

Do you guys actually think Durant's scared to take the big shots? Of course not. He's just trying to understand what his stupid shots are and avoiding them. If guys like Kobe and Melo knew how to do that and when to sacrifice their own egos and pass the rock rather than take the 28 foot super low% fade, they would be that much more impressive. And their teams might be as good as OKC.

Agree with everything but that in bold. To me they don't seem better at all. Maybe relative to the rest of the league, but last years team would beat this years team.

IKnowHoops
04-25-2013, 02:34 PM

They won 27 straight games dude. Something Jordan, Kobe, etc never did. Whatever they are doing they should keep doing it. And especially Wade. Whatever it takes for Wade not to take bad shots Im down with.

tredigs
04-25-2013, 02:57 PM
Agree with everything but that in bold. To me they don't seem better at all. Maybe relative to the rest of the league, but last years team would beat this years team.

Debatable, but they did post a higher win%, a higher offensive rating, lower defensive rating, and had a significantly higher win differential than last season (from ~6 to 9) on a tougher strength of schedule, earning them the WC 1 seed and #1 rating on Hollingers Power Rankings.

Losing Harden made them worse in the short term on its face, but that's my point - that's just how much better Durant and a couple of the other guys have been.

IKnowHoops
04-25-2013, 03:11 PM
Debatable, but they did post a higher win%, a higher offensive rating, lower defensive rating, and had a significantly higher win differential than last season (from ~6 to 9) on a tougher strength of schedule, earning them the WC 1 seed and #1 rating on Hollingers Power Rankings.

Losing Harden made them worse in the short term on its face, but that's my point - that's just how much better Durant and a couple of the other guys have been.

I agree. Especially with Durant getting better. But as a Lebron fan, nothing made me happier than OKC getting rid of Harden. That team was going to surpass the Heat very quickly (maybe this year). Now they may get passed by someone else before they ever pass the Heat. They have made some really stupid moves IMO. Pay a luxury tax to win 4+ rings. Westbrook,Harden,Durant,Green,Ibaka would have lit up the NBA for a long long time. I think they would of been better than Peak Heat. Thats showtime Laker talent.

BklynKnicks3
04-25-2013, 03:23 PM
I agree. Especially with Durant getting better. But as a Lebron fan, nothing made me happier than OKC getting rid of Harden. That team was going to surpass the Heat very quickly (maybe this year). Now they may get passed by someone else before they ever pass the Heat. They have made some really stupid moves IMO. Pay a luxury tax to win 4+ rings. Westbrook,Harden,Durant,Green,Ibaka would have lit up the NBA for a long long time. I think they would of been better than Peak Heat. Thats showtime Laker talent.

I like kd but this is corny. What he going to do next ask for nba shorts to have a pocket for his calculator

Guppyfighter
04-25-2013, 03:33 PM
I like kd but this is corny. What he going to do next ask for nba shorts to have a pocket for his calculator

Yeah, does Durant even watch the game? Has he ever played more than just a pick up game?

Stat geeks, man. I feel you.

GiantsSwaGG
04-25-2013, 03:33 PM
I love his dedication

Chronz
04-25-2013, 03:38 PM

Yeah, does Durant even watch the game? Has he ever played more than just a pick up game?

fuhreel doe.

ThuglifeJ
04-25-2013, 04:25 PM
How did you double post like an hour later?

lol at the line "where its heading", just when did you start watching basketball?

not quite sure..

I started watching early 90s. Was sort of young then like most posters on here, so my perception might be a little distorted. But I was smart and serious about NBA by late 90s

I dont like the way basketball has headed, that's just my opinion. I don't like the personalities of the young players, there all just strange to me.. I just enjoyed everything about the 90s, early 2000s NBA so it's hard to accept the new
It could be worse tho. I do enjoy the level of competition still being so high and how good the vets still are. I just miss dominance and showmanship, like Shaq inside..Tmac's offense. etc.

maybe Im biased for my generation. Nothing new. You can't deny ESPN/Sportscenter has gotten worse tho, that plays a factor in it for me

Guppyfighter
04-25-2013, 04:31 PM
Basketball personalities haven't changed from now to back in the pat. Everyone idolizes the past. They forget the problems, or when they do think of the problems, they just think "it wasn't that big of a deal", because those problems don't matter anymore.

Players obsessively statwatched back then as they do now. Everyone in a professional sport is always trying to get better.

ThuglifeJ
04-25-2013, 04:34 PM
Did you seriously ever see that? That rivalry was so good it seems fake. Everything from their polar opposite attitudes, race (especially at that time, this was a huge deal), cities/teams, etc. And the fact that they came up at the same time to lead championship caliber teams off the bat. Lebron and KD could never have that rivalry, nobody in the game could or has before or since. It went beyond sport and in turn revitalized the entire sport.

I wonder what it was like to see a Celtics Lakers game back then.

Chronz
04-26-2013, 12:26 AM
Just watched first take and I think they must of read my post because they just said what I typed above verbatim.
No offense, but if at anytime first take repeats (word for word) things I say, I would question my belief.

IKnowHoops
04-26-2013, 02:42 AM
No offense, but if at anytime first take repeats (word for word) things I say, I would question my belief.

Hahahaha, I feel ya but in this case, they were right. Sometimes Steven A is on point. Most of the time they both just put on a show and go against each other. Steven A knows a little about b-ball.

asandhu23
04-26-2013, 03:43 AM
Durant's complaint about media is the same one that Wilt had. Him and Bill Russell were best friends off the court and it got tiring for him to constantly go through the "do you hate Bill's guts" ********.

ThuglifeJ
04-26-2013, 07:43 AM
Basketball personalities haven't changed from now to back in the pat. Everyone idolizes the past. They forget the problems, or when they do think of the problems, they just think "it wasn't that big of a deal", because those problems don't matter anymore.

Players obsessively statwatched back then as they do now. Everyone in a professional sport is always trying to get better.

-Disagree. I know we idolize the past but basketball personalities have changed. 2000s and 90s were similiar, except 2000s were more over-confident and less serious personalities in general. Late 2000s-current majority personalities that come in are akward, strange, and lacking the usual basketball outgoing confidence. Everyone's all weird and act like virgins or play too much video games. No one even trash talks.
There are exceptions that come to mind; like the Clippers squad.. Seth Curry.. mabye Kyrie Irving.. you can try to say Westbrook has that 2000s cool confidence but really it's more like he has mental issues and needs medication if you ask me

-Also I agree theyd be into their stats back in the day, but from what I remember they'd look at their stats in terms of "how many points did I drop? I grabbed a lot of boards. Got that double double"

now it's like they know their advanced stats. during the game. via twitter

ThuglifeJ
04-26-2013, 07:55 AM
Has to do with growing up with your face on the internet/video games all the time versus experiencing life.
probably has to do with the food they grew up eating too.

you can see the clear difference of a early 90s basketball player..who didn't grow up with the fast computers, video games and twitter. all they saw was a 3 button arcade NBA jam game.

IndyRealist
04-26-2013, 11:13 AM
They won 27 straight games dude. Something Jordan, Kobe, etc never did. Whatever they are doing they should keep doing it. And especially Wade. Whatever it takes for Wade not to take bad shots Im down with.

That's impressive, yes. But 72-10 is more impressive.

QueensG_718
04-26-2013, 11:45 AM
Kd is on lebrons nuts. Thats why i respect my boy melo for being who he is. He is a pure scorer. Durant will spend his whole career trying to lick lebrons balls.

Chronz
04-26-2013, 01:31 PM
-Also I agree theyd be into their stats back in the day, but from what I remember they'd look at their stats in terms of "how many points did I drop? I grabbed a lot of boards. Got that double double"

Kind of hard to know about stats that werent as prevalent. Even so, thats a good thing, since the stats they care about now adays are far more conducive to winning.

Guppyfighter
04-26-2013, 02:06 PM
-Disagree. I know we idolize the past but basketball personalities have changed. 2000s and 90s were similiar, except 2000s were more over-confident and less serious personalities in general. Late 2000s-current majority personalities that come in are akward, strange, and lacking the usual basketball outgoing confidence. Everyone's all weird and act like virgins or play too much video games. No one even trash talks.
There are exceptions that come to mind; like the Clippers squad.. Seth Curry.. mabye Kyrie Irving.. you can try to say Westbrook has that 2000s cool confidence but really it's more like he has mental issues and needs medication if you ask me

Everyone has always looked at their stats. You are romanticizing the past with stuff that's not true, dude.

LeperMessiah
04-26-2013, 02:21 PM
I love when people freak out over absolutely nothing.

asandhu23
04-27-2013, 05:58 AM

are you dissing yourself, Guppy?

ichitownclowni
04-27-2013, 06:55 AM
Hoily **** he is more obbsessed with LeBron than people on PSD are. LeBron is all this guy thinks about

KnicksorBust
04-27-2013, 09:18 AM
Kevin Durant sat in a leather terminal chair next to a practice court and pointed toward the 90-degree- angle at the upper-right corner of the key that represents the elbow. “See that spot,” Durant said. “I used to shoot 38, 39 percent from there off the catch coming around pin-down screens.” He paused for emphasis. “I’m up to 45, 46 percent now.”

Wow. I'm printing this out and giving this to my basketball team. Even Kevin ****ing Durant admits he takes too many bad shots. That's obsession with perfection right there.

Supreme LA
04-27-2013, 01:46 PM
KD should've hired a weight training expert. All he needs is some muscle and the rest of his game will develop with added explosion and strength.