PDA

View Full Version : OT: What could we have gotten for Cody Ross last year?

AI
04-24-2013, 03:16 PM
At the trade deadline last season, we had a valuable trade piece in Cody Ross with multiple teams interested in acquiring him. We stupidly decided to keep him. Realistically, what do you guys think we could have gotten for him?

P.S. This was the greatest thread EVER.
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?755967-Blockbuster-with-the-Dodgers-in-the-works

BGeer091
04-24-2013, 03:29 PM
Wasn't ATL interested in him? Man if we could have gotten Minor last year lol

Greenmonster24
04-24-2013, 06:58 PM
Alanta was offering Hayward for him.

grandsalami
04-24-2013, 07:56 PM
Alanta was offering Hayward for him.
very funny

mr.awesome
04-24-2013, 08:53 PM
a B- or B level prospect?

-Lavigne43-
04-24-2013, 08:55 PM
At the very least a good prospect. He was having a great year, and his 2010 playoffs performance would have been overvalued. It was a very poor decision to do nothing.

AI
04-25-2013, 12:38 AM
I believe we might of been able to get Delgado from ATL (he was always available).

Super.
04-25-2013, 12:34 PM
I still don't understand why we didn't trade him

Nomar
04-26-2013, 10:17 AM
He was still a rental that benefitted heavily from his home park. Delgado? Maybe, but I'm not too convinced. We still should've dealt him though.

Station 13
04-26-2013, 10:26 AM
Also why wasn't he given a qualifying offer? It was 1 year if he accepted and he's a 2WAR+ guy. ended up given $20M between Gomes/Drew, who have both been worthless.

AI
04-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Also why wasn't he given a qualifying offer? It was 1 year if he accepted and he's a 2WAR+ guy. ended up given $20M between Gomes/Drew, who have both been worthless.

$13M QO? Most likely he would've accepted.

todu82
04-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Yeah, we should have traded him, could of got a much-needed bottom of the rotation starter for him.

AI
04-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Yeah, we should have traded him, could of got a much-needed bottom of the rotation starter for him.

I don't understand this. Doubront and Lackey at the 4-5 is pretty damn solid, especially if the performance/stuff we saw from Lackey in his first start in Toronto is any indication of what we can expect from him this year.

As a whole, our rotation is probably in the top tier in all of baseball with the way Clay and Lester are pitching. Dempster is a model of consistency and our 4-5 is better than most teams. Not to mention, we have Allen Webster waiting in the wings in AAA and our bullpen is filthy as can be. I like our pitching.

bagwell368
04-29-2013, 08:27 AM

It's $14.5M for the two of them, not $20M.

Drew so far is running being worth half his contract at the moment, off of his D. I wouldn't call him worthless. For one thing he's allowing Iglesias to grow up as a hitter outside of the bright lights of Fenway, which he clearly isn't quite ready for.

I was on record for dissing BC for giving Gomes $5M. He's a $2M player, that's one of BC's strange moves. But there is a long way to go.

RedSoxtober
04-29-2013, 10:04 AM
It's $14.5M for the two of them, not $20M.

Drew so far is running being worth half his contract at the moment, off of his D. I wouldn't call him worthless. For one thing he's allowing Iglesias to grow up as a hitter outside of the bright lights of Fenway, which he clearly isn't quite ready for.

I was on record for dissing BC for giving Gomes $5M. He's a $2M player, that's one of BC's strange moves. But there is a long way to go.

Gomes sure isn't earning at the plate as he was supposedly brought in for. However, on the clubhouse/character side he has been a great addition. That's not worth overpaying for but don't underestimate the value of a good clubhouse either. We've already seen what great talent in a toxic cesspool can do and I think the Sox' overachieving start this season has something to do with a vastly improved environment. (Shh... It also has something to do with facing weak/underachieving teams and playing 80% of their games at Fenway but we'll let those shoes drop once people start catching on...)

With 2 triples, 3BB, and 5RBI in the last four games I think he's starting to find his groove. I was pretty surprised to see him come back so quickly to be honest. He had fewer than 20PA in ST before getting shut down and couldn't have had many more than that at PAW once he went on his DL stint. Combine the rehab PA with his MLB PA and he's finally hit the 50+ PA that most guys like in ST.