PDA

View Full Version : Marc Gasol Wins Defensive Playerv of the YEAR, Lebron Finish 2nd

lamzoka
04-24-2013, 01:02 PM
Yahoo! Sports ‏@YahooSports
Memphis Grizzlies C Marc Gasol wins the @NBA's Defensive Player of the Year award. Miami's LeBron James finishes 2nd:

king4day
04-24-2013, 01:06 PM
Glad to hear. Cool to see someone new get it.

Patman
04-24-2013, 01:35 PM
Would have loved to see Duncan get his DPOY, but hey at least it's Marc, his defensive contribution went a bit under the radar before, even though he has a shitload of back court help.

sunnyice
04-24-2013, 01:47 PM
I feel that its LBJ's defensive contribution that is under the radar because of all the other great things he does.
I feel that he should have been DPOY IMHO.

Ebbs
04-24-2013, 01:48 PM
Should've been LeBron

kdspurman
04-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Like I put in the other DPOY award thread, I don't see how Lebron could come in 2nd. I know he can shut people down when needed, but there are guys who are night in and night out the defensive anchors on their teams. Guys like Allen or Iggy for that matter are to shut down the teams opposing players. I don't think Lebron does that on a night in and night out basis. Ibaka in 3rd is also pretty bad, but often times people see his blocks per game. There's a lot wrong with the way some of these voters voted imo.

Hawkeye15
04-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Tony Allen

Hawkeye15
04-24-2013, 01:52 PM
Like I put in the other DPOY award thread, I don't see how Lebron could come in 2nd. I know he can shut people down when needed, but there are guys who are night in and night out the defensive anchors on their teams. Guys like Allen or Iggy for that matter are to shut down the teams opposing players. I don't think Lebron does that on a night in and night out basis. Ibaka in 3rd is also pretty bad, but often times people see his blocks per game. There's a lot wrong with the way some of these voters voted imo.

Agreed. There are designated defenders whose sole purpose is to defend. They constantly get overlooked.

Teeboy1487
04-24-2013, 01:57 PM
Like I put in the other DPOY award thread, I don't see how Lebron could come in 2nd. I know he can shut people down when needed, but there are guys who are night in and night out the defensive anchors on their teams. Guys like Allen or Iggy for that matter are to shut down the teams opposing players. I don't think Lebron does that on a night in and night out basis. Ibaka in 3rd is also pretty bad, but often times people see his blocks per game. There's a lot wrong with the way some of these voters voted imo. I agree with this.

TheTreys
04-24-2013, 02:01 PM
Serge Iblaka needs to win the Defensive Player Award. Monster at defense.

KingPosey
04-24-2013, 02:06 PM
As good as LBJs D was, it was not good at all earlier in the season, the whole Heat team wasn't playing good D.

I don't get why this award always has to go to a star, for the most part. There are guys that only play D, and play it above all others.

Minimal
04-24-2013, 02:08 PM
LeBron 2nd? Cmon, there were more deserving candidates to win DPOY than LeBron.

Max.This
04-24-2013, 02:11 PM
I thought Tony allen was better than Marc, but I also like Avery bradley. Paul George was phenomenal as well

Longhornfan1234
04-24-2013, 02:15 PM
Ibaka ranked over Duncan? LOL, I'm out.

ManRam
04-24-2013, 02:22 PM
Serge Iblaka needs to win the Defensive Player Award. Monster at defense.

great defender, just far from the best. blocks are great and all, but playing defense means a lot more than that, and there are others who excel more.

gasol (212), lebron (149), ibaka (122), noah (107), allen (102), duncan (94), sanders (90), george (57), iguodala (43), hibbert (36), paul (19), bradley (15), chandler (11), howard (6), deng (6)...wade, ariza, butler, faried, westbrook and conley received votes as well

gasol deserved it. lebron and ibaka too high. hibbert deserved a bit more love IMO. minor quibbles besides that. someone watched basketball this season and came to the conclusion that dwight howard was the league's best defender night in and night out. seriously. that's amazing.

Greet
04-24-2013, 02:22 PM
Glad that Marc won it, he's a great underrated player. Maybe he should cut the award into two and give the other half to my boy Tony Allen though.

Greet
04-24-2013, 02:23 PM
Also thought Larry Sanders should have gotten some more votes. He is seriously a monster on defense and is going to be a big defensive player for years to come.

Stunner
04-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Noah ranked 4th smh

Greet
04-24-2013, 02:34 PM
Noah ranked 4th smh

Noah is a great defender no doubt, but a lot of success comes from Thibs.....

chicagocubsfan
04-24-2013, 02:36 PM
He was a great defender in college too.

DallasTrilla23
04-24-2013, 02:36 PM
I don't get why this award always has to go to a star, for the most part. There are guys that only play D, and play it above all others.

This^

They always overlook those guys that aren't stars. I love marc gasol but tony allen runs the defense in that team.

Stunner
04-24-2013, 02:39 PM
Noah is a great defender no doubt, but a lot of success comes from Thibs.....

Really ? He was know from his defense before Thibs and in College .

Greet
04-24-2013, 02:42 PM
Really ? He was know from his defense before Thibs and in College .

Not as good as he's been since Thibs.....

Stunner
04-24-2013, 02:48 PM

So if true that should hamper him winning the award ? That's stupid you gave him credit just to discredit him . Playing defense is more of a desire , yes you can run defensive plays but it's the players who have to go out there and use their talent .

Avenged
04-24-2013, 02:55 PM

So he improved. That shouldn't be a reason why players don't win it.

Im_in_Mia_bish
04-24-2013, 03:03 PM
dam this year was the perfect oppurtunity for bron to win :(

Im_in_Mia_bish
04-24-2013, 03:05 PM
great defender, just far from the best. blocks are great and all, but playing defense means a lot more than that, and there are others who excel more.

gasol (212), lebron (149), ibaka (122), noah (107), allen (102), duncan (94), sanders (90), george (57), iguodala (43), hibbert (36), paul (19), bradley (15), chandler (11), howard (6), deng (6)...wade, ariza, butler, faried, westbrook and conley received votes as well

gasol deserved it. lebron and ibaka too high. hibbert deserved a bit more love IMO. minor quibbles besides that. someone watched basketball this season and came to the conclusion that dwight howard was the league's best defender night in and night out. seriously. that's amazing.

lol @ howard's votes. they hate him.

really shocked at lebrons voting as well, expected him to be after allen, im glad george wasnt in the top 5.

however, this year was the perfect oppurtunity for lebron to win it :(

Hellcrooner
04-24-2013, 03:39 PM
Marc deserved it.
I Mean, he has to get the back of Non existent defense fat *** night in night out.
:D

Greet
04-24-2013, 03:45 PM
So he improved. That shouldn't be a reason why players don't win it.

So if true that should hamper him winning the award ? That's stupid you gave him credit just to discredit him . Playing defense is more of a desire , yes you can run defensive plays but it's the players who have to go out there and use their talent .

Sorry, you guys may have misinterpreted what I was trying to say. I called Noah a great defender, just think he's a little more glorified than he should be. Hence why I responded to his post about Noah being 4th.....

DR_1
04-24-2013, 03:53 PM
Ibaka ranked over Noah :laugh2:

And if any Grizzlie should have won it, it should have been Tony Allen. He really doesn't get any respect in these things.

I would have gone:
1. Joakim Noah
2. Tim Duncan
3. Tony Allen
4. Andre Iguadola
5. LeBron James

Sadds The Gr8
04-24-2013, 04:07 PM
good. can't suck Lebron's dick and give him 2 awards. Noah and Hibbert shoulda been higher though

THE MTL
04-24-2013, 04:15 PM
Look at the NBA, cant give Lebron James all the awards lol. But I do agree that he does deserve to win the DPOY. I see politics coming into play for next year with regards to MVP therefore I see him getting the DPOY next year.

ManRam
04-24-2013, 04:26 PM
i think people get how great tony allen is defensively...and he has gotten as much respect as any player recently, even in the voting. he and chandler are the only guys who have finished in the top 6 each of the past three years. he was the highest vote-getting wing defender this year. he was 6th last year (behind only lebron in terms of wing defenders, as if lebron really can be defined like that). he was 4th the year before (highest wing, behind only howard, KG and tyson).

people get how good he is.

i think the problem is people tend to value the presence of a big man defensively more than the value of a guard defensively. i personally think that that's pretty much the case, but at the very least that's the obvious explanation.

the allen vs. gasol debate is certainly interest. on/off numbers i think suggest that allen's defensive impact is slightly more. but there are other ways to look at it, and i think gasol's all-encompassing impact is a bit bigger for the most part. obviously if you're facing a team like OKC, a big man might not be as important as stopping their best perimeter player. it all depends...but i don't think the trend of favoring big men is too egregious.

Greet
04-24-2013, 04:30 PM
^I believe the interpretation is that you can revolve a defense around a dominant offensive big, not so much with a wing player.

lamzoka
04-24-2013, 04:50 PM
Serge Ibaka
Tony Allen
Tim Duncan
avery bradly
are all more deserving than marc gasol or lebron james

DR_1
04-24-2013, 05:39 PM
i think people get how great tony allen is defensively...and he has gotten as much respect as any player recently, even in the voting. he and chandler are the only guys who have finished in the top 6 each of the past three years. he was the highest vote-getting wing defender this year. he was 6th last year (behind only lebron in terms of wing defenders, as if lebron really can be defined like that). he was 4th the year before (highest wing, behind only howard, KG and tyson).

people get how good he is.

i think the problem is people tend to value the presence of a big man defensively more than the value of a guard defensively. i personally think that that's pretty much the case, but at the very least that's the obvious explanation.

the allen vs. gasol debate is certainly interest. on/off numbers i think suggest that allen's defensive impact is slightly more. but there are other ways to look at it, and i think gasol's all-encompassing impact is a bit bigger for the most part. obviously if you're facing a team like OKC, a big man might not be as important as stopping their best perimeter player. it all depends...but i don't think the trend of favoring big men is too egregious.

Nice post Manram, I agree with what you say

BirdIsTheWord
04-24-2013, 08:20 PM
Who votes for these? I'm not calling it into question just curious is all.

ChiSox219
04-24-2013, 08:46 PM

Ibaka is an awesome defender, too many people try to downplay his shot blocking and altering ability. We aren't talking about a guard gambling for steals here. He may not be fully polished being so young but he is more than just a shot blocker, 20% of his defensive synergy plays logged were in isolation and he ranked 22nd defending that situation. Ibaka deserved that first team all defense last year and had an argument for DPOY.

zn23
04-24-2013, 09:07 PM
It's going to be difficult for them to keep denying LeBron.

Eventually he will get the award, or the award will start to lose its legitimacy. I don't think LeBron deserved it this year, but he's been getting close year after year and eventually it will be hard to deny him.

Blitzbolt
04-24-2013, 09:16 PM
As a Grizz fan I blame Tony Allen(aka the Grind father) for not getting this award every year he is clearly the best defender in the GAME rebound blocks ect ect..

The Offense is what kills him with the minutes he plays he is pretty much one of the worst offensive SGs in the NBA and the reason why the Grizz are so good on defense but SO BAD on offense.

I'm sure Marc Gasol will share this with Conley and Allen they all know it was a team thing more then a 1 player taking over.

sunnyice
04-24-2013, 09:42 PM
You have a good point.

beliges
04-24-2013, 10:02 PM
Lots of great defenders in the league that get overlooked. Marc deserved it this year though. He was a defensive anchor to one of the best defensive teams in the league.

beliges
04-24-2013, 10:15 PM
It's going to be difficult for them to keep denying LeBron.

Eventually he will get the award, or the award will start to lose its legitimacy. I don't think LeBron deserved it this year, but he's been getting close year after year and eventually it will be hard to deny him.

Lebron is not a defensive anchor let alone the best defender in the league. There are quite a few other players in this league that anchor the teams defense. LBJ has become a very good defender over the last few years but enough with "they should've given it to lebron" cuz he's not the best defensive player.

lamzoka
04-24-2013, 10:51 PM
Who votes for these? I'm not calling it into question just curious is all.

i think the media

writers, reporters etc...

mzgrizz
04-24-2013, 10:51 PM
:clap::clap::clap:

naps
04-24-2013, 11:11 PM
My pick was Tony Allen. But I guess voters don't see the impact wing defenders have on the game. Bigs are always preferred when it comes to this award.

And LeBron has finished 2nd multiple times I believe. It'll be really difficult for him to win this award since he's does so many other things on the court. His offensive game and versatility will always be a reason why he will get overlooked in the future. But my prediction is he'll eventually get the award the year he doesn't get MVP.

Hustla23
04-24-2013, 11:36 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't find it weird that Marc Gasol of all people won DPOY? What did he do that was so special?

Chronz
04-25-2013, 12:12 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't find it weird that Marc Gasol of all people won DPOY? What did he do that was so special?
Prolly had the best combination of individual + team stats. The other anchors (Duncan/Noah/Hibbert) were either hurt, didn't play enough or were liabilities in certain situations.

Chronz
04-25-2013, 12:13 AM
dp

Spiggity_ace
04-25-2013, 10:48 AM
no love for george, larry sanders or ibaka

lebron shoudla won it tho lol

Mr_Jones
04-25-2013, 11:49 AM
Marc was great this year, but how Lebron came in second is beyond me. Tony Allen STILL hasn't won one. Neither did Battier when he was in his prime. Just because you're a star, does not mean you deserve the award.

Larry Sanders should have been in the top 3, too.

OceanSpray
04-25-2013, 01:54 PM
Marc was great this year, but how Lebron came in second is beyond me. Tony Allen STILL hasn't won one. Neither did Battier when he was in his prime. Just because you're a star, does not mean you deserve the award.

Larry Sanders should have been in the top 3, too.
Cause you don't watch LeBron play. His defense isn't just man on man. He does great disturbing the entire game because of how quick and physical he is.

kdspurman
04-26-2013, 09:44 AM
Cause you don't watch LeBron play. His defense isn't just man on man. He does great disturbing the entire game because of how quick and physical he is.

That may be true, but he is not deserving of being voted that high. Plain and simple... He has that capability, but early in the year, he didn't show it. He has the ability to turn it on when he needs to. It's just not something that happens on a consistent basis. There's probably 3-4 guys who should be higher than him.

Slug3
04-26-2013, 10:28 AM
That may be true, but he is not deserving of being voted that high. Plain and simple... He has that capability, but early in the year, he didn't show it. He has the ability to turn it on when he needs to. It's just not something that happens on a consistent basis. There's probably 3-4 guys who should be higher than him.

Lebron is literally one of the very few people in the NBA that can guard the 1-4 position every single night, with being able to also guard the 5 position on most nights. You cant say that about Gasol or Allen.

However, I do still think Gasol was deserving of the award as well.

kdspurman
04-26-2013, 10:37 AM
Lebron is literally one of the very few people in the NBA that can guard the 1-4 position every single night, with being able to also guard the 5 position on most nights. You cant say that about Gasol or Allen.

Oh, I know he can. But he doesn't every night. I know Battier tends to guard opposing teams scorers often too. My point was simply, guys like Allen or Iggy for example, do it on a night in and night out basis. That's their job, to shut people down.

Early on in the season, Miami's defense was pretty poor, and that's probably when they're just "coasting" through. I know what he's capable of defensively, but I think other guys are more deserving then he and Ibaka for that matter.

Knick_Fever
04-26-2013, 11:04 AM
Lebron James got robbed of this one. He's a superior defender in more ways than you think. He's truly the engine of the Heat's defensive schemes. He's an excellent face up defender, steals, blocks (and the best at chase-downs), alters shots, help defense, deflections, etc. He does it all, better than anyone. Im sure the league felt they didnt want to give all the awards to James. I'm not a fan of the Heat but Im fair and IMO lebron deserved it more.

Knick_Fever
04-26-2013, 11:10 AM

Not too many players can do that. And what makes it more impressive is that he'll switch assignments down the stretch to lock down the other team's best player. He takes on so many different defensive responsibilities during every game.

mrblisterdundee
04-26-2013, 04:22 PM
That trade with Pau Gasol really worked out. Memphis is now in a better position to win a championship than they were with the older brother.