PDA

View Full Version : Executive Of The Year?

eternal slumber
04-22-2013, 09:57 PM
who do you think would win it this year and why?

29$JerZ
04-22-2013, 10:01 PM
Grunwald by a large margin

To get the type of production from undrafted guys like Prigioni/Copeland, go from the 7th seed to the 2nd seed, ended up signing the 6th Man of the year, traded for Kidd, pick up Martin and pretty much make the most out of a roster that was deemed too old to last or be a factor come playoff time is remarkable imo.

lvlheaded
04-22-2013, 10:06 PM
I like to think it will be Grunwald, but I get the feeling other guys like Masai Ujiri or Billy King could win it. Ujiri got Iggy and built a 3 seeded Nuggets team and despite what I may think, the Nets went from being out of the playoffs to being a 4 seed. It could go a lot of ways

I think Grunwald SHOULD win though

5ass
04-22-2013, 10:08 PM
Rob Hennigan.
Passed on Bynum.
Stole Harkless, Vuc and Harris. Thats 3 potential allstars.

Also Daryl Mory.

xabial
04-22-2013, 10:12 PM
Glen Grunswald signed JR who later became 6th man of the Year for Peanuts and found solid guys in prigioni and Copeland, and took the Knicks from the 7th to 2nd Seed. I hope Glen wins it, but there's many factors that go into GM of the Year.

Guppyfighter
04-22-2013, 10:14 PM
Grunwald by a large margin

To get the type of production from undrafted guys like Prigioni/Copeland, go from the 7th seed to the 2nd seed, ended up signing the 6th Man of the year, traded for Kidd, pick up Martin and pretty much make the most out of a roster that was deemed too old to last or be a factor come playoff time is remarkable imo.

Too bad this the Knicks peak as a team with this core or I would agree he deserves it. Bad contracts, age. Future is something a GM has to worry about and this team is not set up for that.

Has to be Darly Morey, youngest team in the NBA and they had a +3.7 differential.

eternal slumber
04-22-2013, 10:15 PM
not being a homer but i have Morey

like Grunwald, Morey got huge production from Beverley and Smith who are undrafted players.

signed unproven players like Asik and Lin to hefty contracts.

signed Delfino to a bargain deal.

revamp almost his whole roster within a couple of months. Parsons and Smith are the only one left from last year team.

traded for James Harden.

traded for Thomas Robinson.

able to get a young and explosive rookie in Terrence Jones.

second youngest team on the league, youngest among playoff teams.

got his team from being mediocre to contend in the playoffs.

he didn't just got the roster improved and got younger, he got his team able to contend for a long time with an ability to sign another max player with ton of desirable assets.

Blink
04-22-2013, 10:27 PM
Lol I remember thinking the Rockets were in complete tank mode. Roster didn't look good at all IMO.

Then.....well you know Harden.

ManRam
04-22-2013, 10:32 PM
morey or ujiri

Deception
04-22-2013, 10:37 PM
Morey easily. Had his roster look like a laughing stock during off season to looking like a playoff contending team. Had a great plan B after not getting Dwight, traded for Harden. His only mistake was drafting Royce White, even though it could have gone either way.

29$JerZ
04-22-2013, 10:38 PM
Forgot about Morey, that's another great candidate.
Asik/Harden to go with Parsons and win 45 games despite being so young is impressive.

VendettaRed07
04-22-2013, 10:45 PM
1) Morey
2) Grunwald

D-Leethal
04-22-2013, 10:49 PM
I can't recall the award ever being handed out for executive building the best future.

justinnum1
04-22-2013, 10:53 PM
Grunwald? :laugh:

Morey wins this one.

sep11ie
04-22-2013, 11:02 PM
Morey. Should win it next year also.

bholly
04-22-2013, 11:04 PM
Easily Morey for me, despite all the guys in this thread just naming their own team's GMs and hoping that'll help.

Missing56&33
04-22-2013, 11:08 PM
I have to go with Grunwald....after the success the team had with Jeremy Lin he was under a lot of pressure to sign him, instead opted for Ray Felton, traded for Jason Kidd and acquired Pablo Prigioni. He added sone veteran leadership in Camby, KurtThomas and Rasheed Wallace to help win the Atlantic Division and secure the 2nd seed in the east.

Morey??? Houston barely made the playoffs....drafted a guy that's afraid to fly and knew he was afraid to fly....I don't think so.

GRUNWALD!!!

justinnum1
04-22-2013, 11:10 PM
I have to go with Grunwald....after the success the team had with Jeremy Lin he was under a lot of pressure to sign him, instead opted for Ray Felton, traded for Jason Kidd and acquired Pablo Prigioni. He added sone veteran leadership in Camby, KurtThomas and Rasheed Wallace to help win the Atlantic Division and secure the 2nd seed in the east.

Morey??? Houston barely made the playoffs....drafted a guy that's afraid to fly and knew he was afraid to fly....I don't think so.

GRUNWALD!!!
another knicks fan picking the knicks GM. :rolleyes:

justinnum1
04-22-2013, 11:10 PM
delete

Deception
04-22-2013, 11:13 PM

GRUNWALD!!!

The guy signed free agents that were questionable and he proved everyone wrong. Who would have thought Asik would have lived up to his contract. I remember everyone on PSD calling him a bust and overpaid.

justinnum1
04-22-2013, 11:16 PM
The guy signed free agents that were questionable and he proved everyone wrong. Who would have thought Asik would have lived up to his contract. I remember everyone on PSD calling him a bust and overpaid.

Do you really expect a knicks fan to pick someone other than grunwald?

Deception
04-22-2013, 11:18 PM
Do you really expect a knicks fan to pick someone other than grunwald?

Prigioni and Copeland worked out well for them, but their an old team. He established a temporary solution for a short run to win it all. There is nothing wrong with that, but Morey built a future for Houston, which is what gives him the edge.

Johann
04-22-2013, 11:20 PM
Joe Dumars should get some consideration.

justinnum1
04-22-2013, 11:20 PM
Prigioni and Copeland worked out well for them, but their an old team. He established a temporary solution for a short run to win it all. There is nothing wrong with that, but Morey built a future for Houston, which is what gives him the edge.

How many GM's traded a role player and rookie for an 10 player?

eternal slumber
04-22-2013, 11:23 PM

for getting lucky with Drummond?

king4day
04-22-2013, 11:25 PM
Grunwald should get it. He made a ton of moves that turned the Knicks from good to elite. When guys went down, he continued to piece the team together successfully.

Hawkeye15
04-22-2013, 11:29 PM
I can't recall the award ever being handed out for executive building the best future.

great point. While I do think Ujiri has a nice claim, Morey is one year away from winning it, if he can maximize his flexibility and get some frontcourt scoring to balance the roster and win 52-55 games.

Grunwald is my pick.

Hawkeye15
04-22-2013, 11:30 PM

Executives of the year don't lead lottery teams.

Hawkeye15
04-22-2013, 11:32 PM
Grunwald should get it. He made a ton of moves that turned the Knicks from good to elite. When guys went down, he continued to piece the team together successfully.

I wouldn't go so far as to call the Knicks elite. Hell, 5 teams out west had a better record. But they went from 7 seed to #2. That will be recognized, especially with the number of moves he made.

--23--
04-22-2013, 11:34 PM
Ujiri or Grunwald

justinnum1
04-22-2013, 11:45 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to call the Knicks elite. Hell, 5 teams out west had a better record. But they went from 7 seed to #2. That will be recognized, especially with the number of moves he made.

Yes they moved up from 7 to 2, but Rose and rondo being out played a large role in that.

Guppyfighter
04-22-2013, 11:48 PM
If we are just doing it on who made the best moves to improve his team from one year to another, it's pretty obviously the Nuggets GM, not the Knicks GM.

*Silver&Black*
04-22-2013, 11:48 PM
Danny Ferry. Reason: Joe Johnson.

setman2000
04-22-2013, 11:51 PM
Masai Ujiri. Gets Iggy and resigns all the young talent at resonable contracts. A team with no superstars and not one all-star voted in this year ends with the 4th best record in the NBA. A model of how to build a TEAM.

JasonJohnHorn
04-22-2013, 11:53 PM
Well... I think there are a few guys who have been able to pull some things off.

GSW's GM comes to mind. He's drafted really well lately, made a great signing with Lee a couple years ago, and the team has come along nicely.

BK's front office was given the green light to go nuts with the cheque book, but it is their more subtle moves that have helped them; Evan and Blatche.

NY did a great job of bring in vets and aged rookies who have made a big difference.

Mitch K, for as bad as the Lakers did this season did a really good job in getting DH12, Nash and Jamison to LAL, though he didn't manage to make any good signings after injuries and such.

Houston's front office has done some interesting things that seem to have paid off. I think most people, before the offseason started, were expecting them to be in the lottery for a couple of seasons at least and they managed to make some deals that turned them into a playoff team.

And OKC had to get creative to avoid the luxury tax, but kept the best record in the west in the process, i think some kudos are in order for that.

justinnum1
04-22-2013, 11:56 PM
BTW, Pat riley did not win this award after bringing in bosh and lebron. FYI

BigBlueCrew
04-22-2013, 11:58 PM
Grunwald should get Executive of the Year.

gotoHcarolina52
04-23-2013, 12:00 AM

He didn't win it outright, but he won it, sharing it with Gar Forman.

BigBlueCrew
04-23-2013, 12:01 AM
Yes they moved up from 7 to 2, but Rose and rondo being out played a large role in that.

You really do try hard :laugh:

bholly
04-23-2013, 12:03 AM

Weren't Boston ~0.500 when Rondo went out?

justinnum1
04-23-2013, 12:07 AM
He didn't win it outright, but he won it, sharing it with Gar Forman.

the other bulls gm got 3 votes...so i think riley didnt even get half the votes lol. So many Gm's were as bitter as the fans

Guppyfighter
04-23-2013, 12:12 AM
If the Knicks GM win this award on top of JR Smith being given sixth man, you can confidently say "east coast bias" happened.

smood999
04-23-2013, 01:58 AM
Rose..yes, Rondo not so much...after a couple yrs of saying Pierce/Garnett are getting too old, this yr they finally showed that and Terry/Lee couldn't give them the same production Allen did in the past

smood999
04-23-2013, 02:00 AM

Rose..yes, Rondo not so much...after a couple yrs of saying Pierce/Garnett are getting too old, this yr they finally showed that and Terry/Lee couldn't give them the same production Allen did in the past and the Knicks had a huge lead on Boston while Rondo was still in

Allphakenny1
04-23-2013, 02:52 AM

Riley deserves credit no doubt, but the players decided to team up because they were good friends and wanted to win a championchip together. It was not like the current Heat team was all Riley's doing.

Bravo95
04-23-2013, 04:01 AM
People, people. Danny Ferry dumped two of the league's worst contracts and still managed to make the playoffs.

The Hawks are going to get bodyslammed in the series, but still. :laugh2:

UKBronco58
04-23-2013, 05:50 AM
Masai Ujiri.

YoungOne
04-23-2013, 06:49 AM

lol "bringing in" :D

justinnum1
04-23-2013, 08:29 AM
Riley deserves credit no doubt, but the players decided to team up because they were good friends and wanted to win a championchip together. It was not like the current Heat team was all Riley's doing.

no credit for working 2 years to clear cap space?

ManningToTyree
04-23-2013, 09:02 AM
^ it is an annual award so, no.

ManningToTyree
04-23-2013, 09:03 AM
Grunwald should win. He did the most to improve his team for THIS season.

justinnum1
04-23-2013, 09:21 AM
Grunwald should win. He did the most to improve his team for THIS season.

You spelled Morey wrong

BKLYNpigeon
04-23-2013, 09:31 AM
Grunwald for not signing Jeremy Lin.

Bob Meyers of the Warriors should get a nod as well.

ManningToTyree
04-23-2013, 09:39 AM
your maturity is astounding.

Morey did a solid job but they only got the 8th seed. Grunwald took the knicks from a 7 seed with a ton of holes and no bench, to a legitimate contender. I know you hate giving the Knicks credit for anything but he belongs in the conversation for sure.

Weezy
04-23-2013, 09:39 AM
Grunwald for not signing Jeremy Lin.

Bob Meyers of the Warriors should get a nod as well.

Yea actually Warriors GM has done a nice job. Definitely a candidate.

ball4reel
04-23-2013, 09:41 AM
You spelled Morey wrong

Do you do anything else other then worry about the Knicks and the fans???? Get a Life..

DenButsu
04-23-2013, 09:43 AM
Let's face it. There are a handful of 5 or 6 GMs who all did a great job, and legit cases could be made for any of them. What it really comes down to is: What are the parameters being used to define what "best" executive means? It's not clearly defined, and therefore it's completely subjective.

Morey will most likely win it because he made the biggest, most obvious single stroke coup d'etat move by landing Harden, and that's an easy thing to point to and say, "Hey look, he deserves it because of that." What Ujiri and others have done is, imo, more impressive, but moves like drafting Evan Fournier or getting rid of Al Harrington's contract really don't pack very much of a dramatic flair.

Weezy
04-23-2013, 09:44 AM
You spelled Morey wrong

He has a right to have an opinion so no... I highly doubt he spelled anything wrong

D-Leethal
04-23-2013, 09:59 AM

The award has never once been given out for 'building a future'. Its a seasonal award, it goes to the guy who made the best/most/toughest moves that contributed to a great season. Its either Ujiri or Grunwald.

Nuggets winning % increase from last year to this year: +11.9% (.119)
Knicks winning % increase from last year to this year: +11.4% (.114)
Rockets winning % increase from last year to this year: +3.4% (.034)

Yea, Morey deserves the award :facepalm:

Its a two man race, I personally think Grunwald made more moves that directly contributed to the winning % increase where Ujiri's squad mostly had naturally progression from its young talent (on top of Iggy).

I am cool with either one, but Morey has no business even in the discussion given the way this award has been handed out in the past. Its like you guys just make up your own definitions of these awards instead of acknowledging the precedents that have been set in how they are given out.

D-Leethal
04-23-2013, 10:00 AM
I would say Golden State guy did a good job, but his marquee off season moves didn't really do much to help them win (Bogut), it was more or less increased chemistry, natural progression from its young talent and finally having a healthy Steph Curry.

BSplaya2121
04-23-2013, 10:05 AM
No doubt about Morey having a great year as a GM for his team. But when you have money to spend and assets to trade, it makes it easier to make these decisions. Grunwald stepped into a situation where he had no money to spend and no contracts to trade so what does he do? He does a phenominal job with the limited assets he has and gets these players no one has ever heard of or people have written off and takes a .500 team and makes them a #2 seed in the east winning 54 games. Based on sheer "something out of nothing" he has to win it. But i would not be upset what-so-ever if Morey wins it.

alexander_37
04-23-2013, 10:07 AM
The award has never once been given out for 'building a future'. Its a seasonal award, it goes to the guy who made the best/most/toughest moves that contributed to a great season. Its either Ujiri or Grunwald.

Nuggets winning % increase from last year to this year: +11.9% (.119)
Knicks winning % increase from last year to this year: +11.4% (.114)
Rockets winning % increase from last year to this year: +3.4% (.034)

Yea, Morey deserves the award :facepalm:

Its a two man race, I personally think Grunwald made more moves that directly contributed to the winning % increase where Ujiri's squad mostly had naturally progression from its young talent (on top of Iggy).

I am cool with either one, but Morey has no business even in the discussion given the way this award has been handed out in the past. Its like you guys just make up your own definitions of these awards instead of acknowledging the precedents that have been set in how they are given out.

your maturity is astounding.

Morey did a solid job but they only got the 8th seed. Grunwald took the knicks from a 7 seed with a ton of holes and no bench, to a legitimate contender. I know you hate giving the Knicks credit for anything but he belongs in the conversation for sure.

You clearly aren't looking at the rosters you can't compare this team to last years team. Sure the winning % didn't go up by that much but this team only has 2 players left over from last years team. He literally rebuilt the entire team in one offseason. Before the Harden trade this would have been a 25-30 win team. The Knicks were already pegged to be a top 5 eastern conference team ( 6-8 Western conference team)

alexander_37
04-23-2013, 10:09 AM
No doubt about Morey having a great year as a GM for his team. But when you have money to spend and assets to trade, it makes it easier to make these decisions. Grunwald stepped into a situation where he had no money to spend and no contracts to trade so what does he do? He does a phenominal job with the limited assets he has and gets these players no one has ever heard of or people have written off and takes a .500 team and makes them a #2 seed in the east winning 54 games. Based on sheer "something out of nothing" he has to win it. But i would not be upset what-so-ever if Morey wins it.

How is a team with Melo Amar'e and Chandler a .500 team

oak2455
04-23-2013, 10:13 AM
Trolls are out in full

oak2455
04-23-2013, 10:14 AM
I would say Golden State guy did a good job, but his marquee off season moves didn't really do much to help them win (Bogut), it was more or less increased chemistry, natural progression from its young talent and finally having a healthy Steph Curry.

Great *** sig :clap:

D-Leethal
04-23-2013, 10:15 AM
You clearly aren't looking at the rosters you can't compare this team to last years team. Sure the winning % didn't go up by that much but this team only has 2 players left over from last years team. He literally rebuilt the entire team in one offseason. Before the Harden trade this would have been a 25-30 win team. The Knicks were already pegged to be a top 5 eastern conference team ( 6-8 Western conference team)

Knicks had a giant roster turnover as well. The 10-11 guys we added in the offseason are the biggest reason for our spike in winning %. We saw what Melo, STAT, Tyson were without the right cast of 'others' to surround them - barely a .500 team.

I don't see where the praise should be coming from for completely turning over the roster, losing a bunch of talent, adding a bunch of talent, and the net result not even a 5% increase in wins.

If Houston makes the 'leap' next year, than he the award is his next year, but this is a seasonal award, and Houston is barely better than they were last season, despite a major roster overhaul. Morey basically flipped a rebuilding young team, into another rebuilding young team.

D-Leethal
04-23-2013, 10:18 AM
How is a team with Melo Amar'e and Chandler a .500 team

Did you see their record together prior to this season? It was actually under .500. The 8-10 role players Grunwald pull out of his *** with zero cap space or trade assets are the ones that made this whole thing work this year. Also resigning the best bang-for-your-buck contract in the NBA turned 6MOY deserves some praise. Felton at 3M is a steal too. KMart has been the most impactful mid-season signing of any team this season.

ManningToTyree
04-23-2013, 10:37 AM
Knicks had a giant roster turnover as well. The 10-11 guys we added in the offseason are the biggest reason for our spike in winning %. We saw what Melo, STAT, Tyson were without the right cast of 'others' to surround them - barely a .500 team.

I don't see where the praise should be coming from for completely turning over the roster, losing a bunch of talent, adding a bunch of talent, and the net result not even a 5% increase in wins.

If Houston makes the 'leap' next year, than he the award is his next year, but this is a seasonal award, and Houston is barely better than they were last season, despite a major roster overhaul. Morey basically flipped a rebuilding young team, into another rebuilding young team.

Couldn't have said it better. Getting Harden was a great move and Morey has set up Houston to be a threat moving forward, but this years results do not warrant him getting the award.

I think a better argument can be made for the Denver GM. It is between him and Grunwald.

D-Leethal
04-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Couldn't have said it better. Getting Harden was a great move and Morey has set up Houston to be a threat moving forward, but this years results do not warrant him getting the award.

I think a better argument can be made for the Denver GM. It is between him and Grunwald.

Ujiri has a major case, I'm just not sure the moves he made this offseason and this year are the biggest reasons for their winning %, its more about the moves he made PRIOR to this offseason, and the natural progression that resulted. To me, it seems like Grunwalds moves made this offseason directly led to the spike in wins for this season.

Say a GM drafts two young studs in 2012, does he get GM of the year when they naturally progress into the next Westbrook and KD in 2014? Or is it strictly for the moves made in that offseason/season?

Thats sort of up for debate and thats pretty much where the line is drawn between Grunny and Masai.

corytwotimes
04-23-2013, 11:02 AM
whoever the knicks guy is...

rockets fans quit lying to yourselves.....he gave lin and asik HORRIBLE contracts, yall will be a lottery team again in 3 years

mightybosstone
04-23-2013, 11:06 AM
It's Morey and I don't think there's a close second. No executive in the league transformed his team more in one off-season than Morey did and no one took more huge gambles which paid off than Morey did. I'll be surprised if he doesn't win the vote in a landslide.

mightybosstone
04-23-2013, 11:14 AM

Knicks fans are kidding themselves. What major move did Grunwald make? What huge risks did he take? Absolutely none. Morey took massive risks and most of them paid off. Consider that he dealt Lamb, first rounders and his best player for Harden and then practically gave him a max deal overnight. What happens? Harden becomes one of the 5-10 best players in the league. He gives Lin and Asik extremely clever backloaded contracts to steal them from the Knicks and Bulls. What happens? They both prove to be quality starters.

And that's before you consider how good of a job he's done with cap space and how many promising young prospects he has on this team. Look at the production he's getting from Parsons, Smith and Beverley, which is astronomical considering their value going into the draft. And look at the promising potential of Robinson, Jones and Motiejunas.

Morey has been making great moves for years, but this is the first team he's made such significant splashes people have actually paid attention to him. He made the single greatest trade of the entire year and arguably made the smartest contract signing of the year (Asik). To say Grunwald's additions can compare is even idiotic. And to those who call the Knicks "contenders," you're kidding yourselves.

mightybosstone
04-23-2013, 11:17 AM

rockets fans quit lying to yourselves.....he gave lin and asik HORRIBLE contracts, yall will be a lottery team again in 3 years

You're a complete idiot. Harden is locked in for five years and Houston has room for ANOTHER huge contract if Morey wants to sign a second superstar. Parsons is probably the second best player on the entire team and doesn't even make $1 million a season. And the Asik contract not only wasn't horrible, it was a massive steal. Look at all the terrible contracts NBA centers get today and $8.3 million a year for a defensive monsters like Asik is phenomenal. Lin's contract isn't great, but it's not terrible either for an average starting point guard who's only 24 and has remarkable marketing value.

Stay out of the conversation if you have no ****ing clue what you're talking about.

corytwotimes
04-23-2013, 11:31 AM
You're a complete idiot. Harden is locked in for five years and Houston has room for ANOTHER huge contract if Morey wants to sign a second superstar. Parsons is probably the second best player on the entire team and doesn't even make $1 million a season. And the Asik contract not only wasn't horrible, it was a massive steal. Look at all the terrible contracts NBA centers get today and $8.3 million a year for a defensive monsters like Asik is phenomenal. Lin's contract isn't great, but it's not terrible either for an average starting point guard who's only 24 and has remarkable marketing value. Stay out of the conversation if you have no ****ing clue what you're talking about.

1. harden is an above average chucker, will never be the #1 guy on a championship team.
2. Parson is average, nothing special. (if hes your 2nd best player, dont expect a ring anytime soon)
3. Asiks contract is HORRIBLE, in 2 years youll be paying 15mil to C+ center (outside of defense hes useless)
4. Lin sucks, his contract sucks, and the marketing is out the door because nobody even cares about him anymore.

PS T-rob is a BUST

sorry little dude the rockets have ZERO chance at a championship with the team they have now

oak2455
04-23-2013, 11:41 AM
:laugh: this thread:laugh:

mightybosstone
04-23-2013, 11:54 AM
1. harden is an above average chucker, will never be the #1 guy on a championship team.
You're an idiot, and I will not dignify this with a response. He's one of the most efficient scorers in the league, and if you think he's a "chucker," then you have no ****ing clue what that word means.

2. Parson is average, nothing special. (if hes your 2nd best player, dont expect a ring anytime soon)
He is an above average shooter, passer and perimeter defender and his advanced numbers back him up as an above average player. He's improved significantly from his rookie season and he's starting to realize how dangerous he can be driving to the basket. If he takes more of a role in the offense next season, he could easily average 18/5/4.

3. Asiks contract is HORRIBLE, in 2 years youll be paying 15mil to C+ center (outside of defense hes useless)
This is so dumb, I'm shocked you're able to walk upright or formulate sentences in your head. His contract counts as $8.3 million on the cap, he's one of the best defensive centers in the NBA and his pick and roll game is criminally underrated. He's also one of the three or four best rebounders in the league, which you cleverly glossed over. Reading your nonsensical posts, it's fairly obvious you never watch Rockets games.

4. Lin sucks, his contract sucks, and the marketing is out the door because nobody even cares about him anymore.
Last time I checked, 13/6/3/2 were pretty solid numbers for your starting point guard. He's definitely streaky and there are ares of his game which need to improve, but saying he "sucks" is a gross overstatement. Again, watch Rockets games dude. It would also help if you had some vague semblance of value when it comes to NBA players. Clearly you do not.

sorry little dude the rockets have ZERO chance at a championship with the team they have now
Last time I checked, they had at least $17 million to play with in the off-season and a fairly flexible payroll which could easily allow them to offer someone a max contract. That is one of the main reasons Morey should win Executive of the Year. He has one of the best cap situations in the league with no aging players on bad contracts and plenty of room to work with in the future.

I'd be willing to bet $100 right now that Houston plays in an NBA Finals game before the Knicks do. They're younger, they have a much better cap situation and their talent will start peaking right as the Knicks talent completely falls apart.

4milesperday
04-23-2013, 12:03 PM
The only GM I sort of respect is the Spurs GM and none else because most GMs just happen to fall in the right circumstance and nothing else. It will be a travesty if the Knicks GM is exec of the year though. take a look at his recent signings; Kenyon Martin, Rasheed Wallace, Earl Barron, Q Rich and Kurt Thomas in addition to the money he paid Novak and Camby. The only reason J R Smith accepted his contract was because he wanted to play for the Knicks and took less given the salary situation. Raymond Felton has been solid for the Knicks but nobody else will pay him as much as the Knicks to begin with, Kidd has been good but no one else but Dallas pursued him and Copeland isn't much of a gem neither. Had Melo and JR not been playing extra-ordinarily brilliant for the Knicks, the team is simply garbage.

THE MTL
04-23-2013, 12:03 PM
Im NOT even trying to be a homer. But for all the posters trying discredit Grunwald on his amazing job with the Knicks can go to hell. He truly deserves the award. All of you had the Knicks as a low seeded playoff team and biggest criticism was that we were too old to handle a season.

Grunwald took a 7th seeded team and made in into a contender. Our winning percentage in terms of improvement one of the higher ones in the league.

He signed our coach. Who has taken Melo's and JR's game to new heights.

He signed the current sixth man of the year.

He signed Jason Kidd who has been HUGE for us (and even more evident in game 1 of the playoffs)

He signed Kenyon Martin in the middle of the season which has been huge too.

Not to mention bringing together pieces such as Felton, Copeland, Wallace, Prigioni, Brewer who all added to the success of my 2nd seeded Knicks.

Morey did a great job as well. But all of you keep talking about the future with him. Well its not called Executive of the future? Its called executive of the YEAR! Grunwald deserves it for THIS SEASON!

Weezy
04-23-2013, 12:07 PM
You're an idiot, and I will not dignify this with a response. He's one of the most efficient scorers in the league, and if you think he's a "chucker," then you have no ****ing clue what that word means.

He is an above average shooter, passer and perimeter defender and his advanced numbers back him up as an above average player. He's improved significantly from his rookie season and he's starting to realize how dangerous he can be driving to the basket. If he takes more of a role in the offense next season, he could easily average 18/5/4.

This is so dumb, I'm shocked you're able to walk upright or formulate sentences in your head. His contract counts as $8.3 million on the cap, he's one of the best defensive centers in the NBA and his pick and roll game is criminally underrated. He's also one of the three or four best rebounders in the league, which you cleverly glossed over. Reading your nonsensical posts, it's fairly obvious you never watch Rockets games.

Last time I checked, 13/6/3/2 were pretty solid numbers for your starting point guard. He's definitely streaky and there are ares of his game which need to improve, but saying he "sucks" is a gross overstatement. Again, watch Rockets games dude. It would also help if you had some vague semblance of value when it comes to NBA players. Clearly you do not.

Last time I checked, they had at least $17 million to play with in the off-season and a fairly flexible payroll which could easily allow them to offer someone a max contract. That is one of the main reasons Morey should win Executive of the Year. He has one of the best cap situations in the league with no aging players on bad contracts and plenty of room to work with in the future.

I'd be willing to bet $100 right now that Houston plays in an NBA Finals game before the Knicks do. They're younger, they have a much better cap situation and their talent will start peaking right as the Knicks talent completely falls apart.

What does you last paragraph have anything to do with this thread? Have fun winning your $100 :rolleyes:

Morey is overrated. Last i checked this award goes to the GM for this past season not for the future. Its simple. Denver's GM deserves it much more...so no Morey should not win by a landslide.

mightybosstone
04-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Grunwald took a 7th seeded team and made in into a contender. Our winning percentage in terms of improvement one of the higher ones in the league.
But how much of this is a result of playing in a terrible conference? Put them in the West and they're the sixth seed. Success is relative. Meanwhile, you put Houston in the East and they would have gone from outside of the playoffs to a tie for the fifth seed.

He signed our coach. Who has taken Melo's and JR's game to new heights.He was made coach last year and just kept the job. It's not like Grunwald did a whole lot of work here.

He signed the current sixth man of the year.
He was here last season. Still not impressed.

He signed Jason Kidd who has been HUGE for us (and even more evident in game 1 of the playoffs). He signed Kenyon Martin in the middle of the season which has been huge too.Not to mention bringing together pieces such as Felton, Copeland, Wallace, Prigioni, Brewer who all added to the success of my 2nd seeded Knicks.
These were all good moves, and I'm not trying to discredit them. But these guys are just the supporting cast to Melo, Smith and Chandler. Morey put together his ENTIRE TEAM in the off-season. Think about that. Of his best players (Harden, Asik, Parsons, Lin, Delfino and Beverley), only one of them was on this team last season. One guy!!! And the only other player on this roster from last season was Greg Smith, who barely saw time at all.

You want to hear a crazy fact? There are more players from last year's Rockets team on the Suns and Kings than on the Rockets current roster. Think about that and think about how young this team is and then think about how much they've accomplished in only one season together. It's insane.

mightybosstone
04-23-2013, 12:25 PM
What does you last paragraph have anything to do with this thread? Have fun winning your $100 :rolleyes:

Morey is overrated. Last i checked this award goes to the GM for this past season not for the future. Its simple. Denver's GM deserves it much more...so no Morey should not win by a landslide.

All Grunwald did was keep some pieces in place (Woodson, Smith) and improve his team's supporting cast. I'm not trying to say he did a mediocre job. With what room he had, I actually think he's done quite well. But read my previous post. Morey put together an entire team practically from scratch with only Chandler Parsons to build around. Of the starters on this team, only one of them had consistently started before in his career (Parsons). And that team is now in the playoffs for the first time in four years.

To call Morey overrated for what he's accomplished is not only insulting, it's blatantly ignorant. Look at guys who have contributed on this team and how they were acquired. Parsons? A mid-second round pick. Smith? Undrafted free agent. Beverley? Acquired from freaking Europe midway through the season. To not give credit to him is absolutely ludicrous.

And you can go ahead and write out my $100 check if you like. I'll be expecting it in 2-4 years. ;)

D-Leethal
04-23-2013, 12:33 PM
Knicks fans are kidding themselves. What major move did Grunwald make? What huge risks did he take? Absolutely none. Morey took massive risks and most of them paid off. Consider that he dealt Lamb, first rounders and his best player for Harden and then practically gave him a max deal overnight. What happens? Harden becomes one of the 5-10 best players in the league. He gives Lin and Asik extremely clever backloaded contracts to steal them from the Knicks and Bulls. What happens? They both prove to be quality starters.

And that's before you consider how good of a job he's done with cap space and how many promising young prospects he has on this team. Look at the production he's getting from Parsons, Smith and Beverley, which is astronomical considering their value going into the draft. And look at the promising potential of Robinson, Jones and Motiejunas.

Morey has been making great moves for years, but this is the first team he's made such significant splashes people have actually paid attention to him. He made the single greatest trade of the entire year and arguably made the smartest contract signing of the year (Asik). To say Grunwald's additions can compare is even idiotic. And to those who call the Knicks "contenders," you're kidding yourselves.

First, calling Harden a 'risk' is a ****ing joke. Everyone knew he was primed and ready to step into a max player role.

Talk all you want about these wonderful moves but a GM is a results business, all those wonderful moves has not provided any great results YET. This isn't a hypothetical down-the-line award, its not an award for the best future, its an award for 1 single season. A season in which the Knicks improved more than nearly every team in this league, and a season in which the Rockets barely improved.

Find me a winner of this award who's team improved as little as the Rockets from last year to this year.

I'll be waiting.

D-Leethal
04-23-2013, 12:35 PM
All Grunwald did was keep some pieces in place (Woodson, Smith) and improve his team's supporting cast. I'm not trying to say he did a mediocre job. With what room he had, I actually think he's done quite well. But read my previous post. Morey put together an entire team practically from scratch with only Chandler Parsons to build around. Of the starters on this team, only one of them had consistently started before in his career (Parsons). And that team is now in the playoffs for the first time in four years.

To call Morey overrated for what he's accomplished is not only insulting, it's blatantly ignorant. Look at guys who have contributed on this team and how they were acquired. Parsons? A mid-second round pick. Smith? Undrafted free agent. Beverley? Acquired from freaking Europe midway through the season. To not give credit to him is absolutely ludicrous.

And you can go ahead and write out my $100 check if you like. I'll be expecting it in 2-4 years. ;)

He gutted his entire team, and than rebuilt it, and the net improvement was next to nothing. Whoopdee****ingdoo.

He let a bunch of talent walk, than added a bunch of talent, its not like he walked into a bare cupboard, he made the cupboard bare. He didn't walk into an empty roster, he created an empty roster.

mightybosstone
04-23-2013, 12:38 PM
First, calling Harden a 'risk' is a ****ing joke. Everyone knew he was primed and ready to step into a max player role.
I thought he was, but go back and read analysts and see what they had to say. There was a lot of people split on whether he was worth it or not. You're not in Houston, so I don't expect you to listen to sports talk radio here, but there were a lot of journalists and radio guys who thought Houston overpaid to keep Harden in Houston.

Talk all you want about these wonderful moves but a GM is a results business, all those wonderful moves has not provided any great results YET. This isn't a hypothetical down-the-line award, its not an award for the best future, its an award for 1 single season. A season in which the Knicks improved more than nearly every team in this league, and a season in which the Rockets barely improved.
And as I said before, results in this league are relative, and the award should be given to the GM who did the best job, not the GM whose team improved the most. If the Knicks were in the West, they'd be the 6th seed and wouldn't have a chance in hell of contending. If the Rockets were in the East, they'd be the fifth seed and have a decent shot of making a second-round appearance.

Morey made bigger, smarter moves to put this team together. Grunwald merely add some supporting guys to supplement the team already in place.

mightybosstone
04-23-2013, 12:41 PM
He gutted his entire team, and than rebuilt it, and the net improvement was next to nothing. Whoopdee****ingdoo.

He let a bunch of talent walk, than added a bunch of talent, its not like he walked into a bare cupboard, he made the cupboard bare. He didn't walk into an empty roster, he created an empty roster.

You can't honestly tell me the Rockets team last season was as good as the team is this year or that it was better suited for the future. The team last season had aging veterans and a bunch of average to above average starters who weren't going to amount to anything substantial. He acquired a superstar and an elite defensive center in the same off-season, in addition to putting all the other pieces in place. All Grunwald did was add a few supporting pieces. You can't tell me that is more impressive than what Morey has done. And if you can, it's because you're (A) a homer or (B) an idiot.

corytwotimes
04-23-2013, 12:41 PM

1. 26ppg shooting 43%??? = ABOVE AVERAGE CHUCKER

2. Parsons is "slightly" above average....a C+ on your average day

3. Asik is worth his 8 mil...not the 14 mil yall will pay him in 2 years

4. 13-6-3 is BELOW average for a starting pg. lin sucks and 14 mil in 2 year is highway robbery

5. youre right they probably will.....houston will play in one in about 2023 and Ny will play in one in 2025 lmao

6. Im a bulls fan, i could care less about the knicks or the rockets both of yall have win now teams that wont win now lol

D-Leethal
04-23-2013, 12:42 PM
I thought he was, but go back and read analysts and see what they had to say. There was a lot of people split on whether he was worth it or not. You're not in Houston, so I don't expect you to listen to sports talk radio here, but there were a lot of journalists and radio guys who thought Houston overpaid to keep Harden in Houston.

And as I said before, results in this league are relative, and the award should be given to the GM who did the best job, not the GM whose team improved the most. If the Knicks were in the West, they'd be the 6th seed and wouldn't have a chance in hell of contending. If the Rockets were in the East, they'd be the fifth seed and have a decent shot of making a second-round appearance.

Morey made bigger, smarter moves to put this team together. Grunwald merely add some supporting guys to supplement the team already in place.

Ok, well call Stern and petition for the 'Mighty Mighty Bosstones Award', give him your criteria, find the Geico Caveman to sponsor it, and Morey walks home the winner.

Were trying to talk about Executive of the Year here.

Key words: 'The Year' (As in 1 year, as in single year, as in this year, as in right now)

Theres a thing call precedent, there has been plenty of it in the history of this award. That should tell you all you need to know about the criteria for which the winner gets selected.

Weezy
04-23-2013, 12:43 PM

All nice and dandy but you still haven't proved to me how he has done a better job than Mansai Ujiri.

04-23-2013, 12:44 PM
reading alot about rockets and knicks Gm.. alot of bickering.. but ya'll aren't paying attention to the master mind masai uriji. (understandable, denver are the most overlooked team in the nba)

This guy is on a hot streak of years in which he has made very... very clever moves. moves in which this team has gotten better, and better, and better. Better than both the knicks and the rockets, and their the 3rd youngest team in the nba..

sure Grunwald and morey have done great this season, but uriji, he's been quietly killing it on a consistent basis

Weezy
04-23-2013, 12:46 PM
And I'm Knicks fan saying Ujiri deserves to win. I'll be wondering what Morey has planned next year because that is when he has a chance to win but as far as this past season I believe Ujiri has done the best and Grunwald not too far behind

mightybosstone
04-23-2013, 12:47 PM

4. 13-6-3 is BELOW average for a starting pg. lin sucks and 14 mil in 2 year is highway robbery

5. youre right they probably will.....houston will play in one in about 2023 and Ny will play in one in 2025 lmao

6. Im a bulls fan, i could care less about the knicks or the rockets both of yall have win now teams that wont win now lol

These responses are terrible, so I'm just not going to bother. I'm sticking to the relatively competent fans whose points are actually valid. Come back to me when you have actually watched a Rockets game and understand value.

D-Leethal
04-23-2013, 12:51 PM
And I'm Knicks fan saying Ujiri deserves to win. I'll be wondering what Morey has planned next year because that is when he has a chance to win but as far as this past season I believe Ujiri has done the best and Grunwald not too far behind

I look at what Morey has done this year sort of 'setting the table' for a big time splash, and a big time jump in the standings next year with all the flexibility he has to add another major piece.

You don't win Exec of the Year for setting the table. You win it for putting together terrific meal.

D-Leethal
04-23-2013, 12:51 PM

I look at what Morey has done this year sort of 'setting the table' for a big time splash, and a big time jump in the standings next year with all the flexibility he has to add another major piece.

You don't win Exec of the Year for setting the table.

TheIlladelph16
04-23-2013, 12:53 PM
I think Morey, Grunwald and Ujiri all have legitimate cases to win it. People are going to nitpick about who should win out of the three, but I would probably lean towards Ujiri if I was voting, then Morey, then Grunwald.

LAKobeBryant
04-23-2013, 12:53 PM
This thread has good reads....been a while :D

mightybosstone
04-23-2013, 12:54 PM
All nice and dandy but you still haven't proved to me how he has done a better job than Mansai Ujiri.

I wasn't making a case against Ujiri, I was making a case against Grunwald. If anyone should beat Morey, it should be Ujiri. BUT, as is the case with New York, I don't think see how they've made bigger or better moves than Houston. The Iggy deal was a great move for them, and I think he fits perfectly with that they do as a basketball team. But aside from that, what huge changes did he make to the team? He kept Miller and McGee, who have been big contributors, but it's not like those were difficult moves to make.

My argument against Grunwald and Ujiri would be that their improvements came mostly from players already on the roster, while this is Houston's first season together as a team. Morey made the most moves and had the hardest degree of difficulty in what he accomplished. Aside from the Iguodala trade, neither Grunwald or Ujiri were facing huge challenges or making complex trades to improve their roster.

mightybosstone
04-23-2013, 12:57 PM

You don't win Exec of the Year for setting the table. You win it for putting together terrific meal.

But they didn't put that meal together this season. Almost all of the major pieces on both Denver and New York have been in place for at least a year. Based on the food analogy, it's like they put all the pieces in a crock pot and let it sit all day long until it was seasoned. Morey had like an hour to run to the store come back and put together a gourmet meal. Denver and New York's meal might taste better, but that work was done a while ago, and I don't know why they should get credit for it. Morey's meal was all put together this season.

corytwotimes
04-23-2013, 12:58 PM
These responses are terrible, so I'm just not going to bother. I'm sticking to the relatively competent fans whose points are actually valid. Come back to me when you have actually watched a Rockets game and understand value.

ENGLISH TRANSLATION: Youre right and I know it, but my severe fandom is causing me to be in denial.....I dont want to talk to you anymore because I dont have any good rebuttals.....please say the rockets are good...PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

LMAO

me - 1
you - 0

Weezy
04-23-2013, 12:59 PM
I wasn't making a case against Ujiri, I was making a case against Grunwald. If anyone should beat Morey, it should be Ujiri. BUT, as is the case with New York, I don't think see how they've made bigger or better moves than Houston. The Iggy deal was a great move for them, and I think he fits perfectly with that they do as a basketball team. But aside from that, what huge changes did he make to the team? He kept Miller and McGee, who have been big contributors, but it's not like those were difficult moves to make.

My argument against Grunwald and Ujiri would be that their improvements came mostly from players already on the roster, while this is Houston's first season together as a team. Morey made the most moves and had the hardest degree of difficulty in what he accomplished. Aside from the Iguodala trade, neither Grunwald or Ujiri were facing huge challenges or making complex trades to improve their roster.
Look at our salary cap space? We had Zero draft picks. Shumpert coming off ACL injury. Amare.....another injury. Oh Yea and how much does our 6th man make? To say Grunwald Had no challenges is mind boggling.

D-Leethal
04-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Yea I mean our core could barely crack .500 for like 2 straight seasons. Grunwald, with zero flexibility, added our starting PG, the 6MOY, JKidd who has been Yoda for this team, added a ton of depth at the big man positions which turned out to be HUGE considering how many injuries we suffered there, signed the best mid-season pickup in KMart, and our team won a shitload more games than we did last year as a direct result of these moves.

Morey made the biggest splash, but what did he show for it? Should we name Kupcheck Exec of the Year because of the splashes he made with Nash and Dwight, or should we look at the result of the splash?

Sometimes a bunch of little splashes can make more of an impact than a large one.

yungincome
04-23-2013, 01:05 PM
Grunwald? :laugh:

Morey wins this one.

Dude you're such a hater, yet you stay on the Knicks forum.

If I was to ever come across you in real life I'll smack fire out of you.

yungincome
04-23-2013, 01:05 PM
Morey or Grunny

D-Leethal
04-23-2013, 01:08 PM

Of course he provides absolutely nothing to back his opinion.

4milesperday
04-23-2013, 01:09 PM
How can someone that signed Kenyon Martin, Jason Kidd, Rasheed Wallace, Earl Barron, Quentin Richardson, Marcus Camby and Kurt Thomas in 2013 be exec of the year?

04-23-2013, 01:12 PM
Morey has done a good job setting getting his team out of the 'dusty veteran' rut they were in, into a young team that could develop (probably will) into a champion contender team, i mean they have a pretty decent yound developing core of lin, harden, robinson, parsons ect.

I know what rockets fans are thinking.

"Morey made some incredibly good ***** moves, THANK **** he did this for our team, to think he changedour whole 'going no-where' roster into a younger, high potential team, and we made the *** playoffs, briliant"

too all rockets fans, i know......

I once was like you when nuggets gm traded away melo and a *** load of other players into a much younger team. we acquired alot of talent, but everyone ruled us off cos we had no star player (just like eveyone did for the rockets at the start of this season) next season the uriji made some more moves, better than the last some say, the ream got even younger, and yet more talented, with a large amount of young players all brought together to form a promising formidible core for the future, and then we made the 6th spot in the playoffs. we were all surprised by how well they did that season. We all thought he definately deserved exec of the year.

but the nuggets came 6th that year (i think), and got knocked out of the first round. Uriji did not get exec of the year.

Point is, to win exec of the year, you gotta earn it. Morey has done a great job, and if he continues to develop this squad, make the right moves, and lets say in 2 years time they are a top 3 team out west. Then heck, he probably mite get exec of the year. But Morey has only really started this year, the rockets arnt' even that good a basketball team this season (obviously good enough to make the playoffs, but you know what i mean)

do any rockets fans agree with me?

mightybosstone
04-23-2013, 01:38 PM
ENGLISH TRANSLATION: Youre right and I know it, but my severe fandom is causing me to be in denial.....I dont want to talk to you anymore because I dont have any good rebuttals.....please say the rockets are good...PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

LMAO

me - 1
you - 0

I stopped reading after you called Harden a "chucker" because of his 43 percent FG%. If you don't understand what TS% is or know that Harden's 60 percent TS% is insane, then you're ignorant and I have no reason to argue with you, because you won't understand what I'm talking about in the first place.

TeamSeattle
04-23-2013, 01:41 PM
I have Morey in 1st place with Glen Grunwald and Masai Ujiri in a tie for second. Yea the Knicks have excelled this year but you can't deny the dramatic change of the Rockets either this year.

mightybosstone
04-23-2013, 01:41 PM
Yea I mean our core could barely crack .500 for like 2 straight seasons. Grunwald, with zero flexibility, added our starting PG, the 6MOY, JKidd who has been Yoda for this team, added a ton of depth at the big man positions which turned out to be HUGE considering how many injuries we suffered there, signed the best mid-season pickup in KMart, and our team won a shitload more games than we did last year as a direct result of these moves.

Morey made the biggest splash, but what did he show for it? Should we name Kupcheck Exec of the Year because of the splashes he made with Nash and Dwight, or should we look at the result of the splash?

Sometimes a bunch of little splashes can make more of an impact than a large one.

They could add Smith even without cap flexibility, bro, so color me unimpressed. Also, prior to this season, Smith hadn't done anything to prove he was worth more than the contract he was given. Kidd, K-Mart, etc. were decent additions, but come nowhere close to the additions Morey made.

And mentioning Kupcheck is a joke. The Lakers were significantly worse after the deals they made, so I fail to see how he deserves any consideration at all.

Guppyfighter
04-23-2013, 01:44 PM

This is pretty stupid.

Morey has outdone himself.

Morey or the Nuggets GM.

ChiSox219
04-23-2013, 02:29 PM
Morey, or Ujiri should get it.

Riley adding Ray Allen for cheap and picking up Andersen mid-season have been spectacular moves compared to anything Grunwald did. The Heat's rise in winning percentage from 69% to 80% is much more impressive than the Knicks same rise of 11% from mediocre to above average.

Also it's funny to see Knicks fans knock Morey for the Rockets being the 8th seed when the two teams basically had equal regular season performance, it's just the Knicks played in one of the softest conferences we've seen recently.

oak2455
04-23-2013, 02:44 PM

It's not just the Knicks read my sig posted during game 1 ..... That's what he or she does.... I just don't get why their never banned as they troll 24/7

LongIslandIcedZ
04-23-2013, 03:07 PM
If there was a "Executive for 5 Years Award" I think it would be Morey. The Rockets are set up to be a legitimate contender in the future, and he has made nothing but good moves. For the 2012-2013 season I am going with Grunwald. Homer? Sure maybe a little bit, but he definitely has a case.

Using this website as a reference point, nobody had the Knicks as the 2 seed. Hell, even the most intelligent posters had the Knicks as a 5/6 seed. Out of like 40 ESPN analysts, not one picked the Knicks to win the division. Many of the Knicks role players signings panned out very well. Prigioni/Kidd/Copeland have been huge role players. Sheed/KMart have had their moments. JR Smith for so little money was an excellent move. Given injuries and how the Knicks have played despite them, definitely gives Grunwald a case for the award.

If Morey wins, I wouldnt be pissed.

SouthSideRookie
04-23-2013, 03:17 PM

"To bolster their depth and perimeter shooting percentage, the Knicks signed J. R. Smith on February 18, 2012. The team struggled to congeal when Anthony returned from injury and went on to lose seven of eight games before head coach Mike D'Antoni resigned on March 14, 2012. Assistant Mike Woodson was named the interim head coach.

Veteran Jason Kidd, a 10 NBA All-Star, joined the Knicks in 2012.

Mike Woodson, current head coach of the Knicks since 2012

Under Woodson, the Knicks finished 186 during the regular season and clinched a playoff spot for the second straight year this time as the seventh seed."

TRANSLATION- Once Melo got Mike D'Antoni canned is when he started giving a damn again and the team also responded and rallied under Woodson.

Your spike in wins theory is complete bull****.

and you also have to be kidding me on the Rockets being a young rebuilding team last season. That team had no upside whatsoever.

But how much of this is a result of playing in a terrible conference? Put them in the West and they're the sixth seed. Success is relative. Meanwhile, you put Houston in the East and they would have gone from outside of the playoffs to a tie for the fifth seed.

He was made coach last year and just kept the job. It's not like Grunwald did a whole lot of work here.

He was here last season. Still not impressed.

These were all good moves, and I'm not trying to discredit them. But these guys are just the supporting cast to Melo, Smith and Chandler. Morey put together his ENTIRE TEAM in the off-season. Think about that. Of his best players (Harden, Asik, Parsons, Lin, Delfino and Beverley), only one of them was on this team last season. One guy!!! And the only other player on this roster from last season was Greg Smith, who barely saw time at all.

You want to hear a crazy fact? There are more players from last year's Rockets team on the Suns and Kings than on the Rockets current roster. Think about that and think about how young this team is and then think about how much they've accomplished in only one season together. It's insane.
Most of it, no way are the Knicks a two seed in the west. The east is terrible and it's at an all time low this year. No Rose, Rondo, Granger, Bynum etc.. Everyone but Knick fans can't seem to understand the huge gap in talent between the east and west.

Find me a winner of this award who's team improved as little as the Rockets from last year to this year.

I'll be waiting.

and yet GS, Toronto and Washington didn't pull the trigger on a Harden trade, i wonder why.

Please don't, you should see his takes in the NFL forum.

SugeKnight
04-23-2013, 03:48 PM
My case for Bob Myers, Warriors GM:

1. Locked up Steph Curry for insanely cheap (4 years 44 million). If they didn't give him an extension then, he'd be getting a near max contract.

2. Drafted 3 Rookies who are playing consistent minutes on a playoff team. Barnes, Green, and Ezeli have all played major roles in getting to the playoffs.

3. Traded Dorrel Wright for Jarret Jack. Wright is garbage, and we got a veteran leader to come off the bench and help keep Steph's minutes in check. Basically picked up a top 3 6th man for nothing.

4. Signed Carl Landry to help solidify our bench, giving us a chance to win with Lee out.

5. Got the team under the luxury tax.

TeamSeattle
04-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Morey, or Ujiri should get it.

Riley adding Ray Allen for cheap and picking up Andersen mid-season have been spectacular moves compared to anything Grunwald did. The Heat's rise in winning percentage from 69% to 80% is much more impressive than the Knicks same rise of 11% from mediocre to above average.

Also it's funny to see Knicks fans knock Morey for the Rockets being the 8th seed when the two teams basically had equal regular season performance, it's just the Knicks played in one of the softest conferences we've seen recently.

Knicks 11% winning percentage is more than or equal to the heats percentage you just posted. Also, since when does 54 wins equal above-average, explain that one to me. Most Knicks fans are saying Morey is more deserving, no need to make up ill contrived biases for no reason.

ChiSox219
04-23-2013, 04:24 PM
Knicks 11% winning percentage is more than or equal to the heats percentage you just posted. Also, since when does 54 wins equal above-average, explain that one to me. Most Knicks fans are saying Morey is more deserving, no need to make up ill contrived biases for no reason.

It is the same rise by % (which is what I said) but I think it's more difficult to go from where the Heat were to where they are now than it is to go from average to above average. If you disagree, the rise is the same and the Heat are way better than Knicks and I think Riley made better moves.

I didn't make up anything, there are posts in this thread saying that the Rockets are just an 8th seed while the Knicks made a big jump to the 2nd seed. That's a weak argument.

Guppyfighter
04-23-2013, 04:26 PM
Nuggets GM took the Nuggets to the third seed in the West.

The Knicks would be the sixth seed in the ****ing West.

If we aren't doing it based on future, the Nuggets GM built an immediately better team.

FYL_McVeezy
04-23-2013, 04:27 PM
Another "legitimate question turned into Knick-bashing" thread :facepalm:

Guppyfighter
04-23-2013, 04:28 PM
Knicks turned the last few award threads into Knick circlejerks. That's not really anyone elses fault except for Knicks fans.

"We have the best everything, praise us, we are in New York."

TeamSeattle
04-23-2013, 04:31 PM

If we aren't doing it based on future, the Nuggets GM built an immediately better team.

People really believe that crap about the West being better. You have a greater point differential and regular season record, and it gives people the illusion that the talent is greater. Since 1970 when the conferences were split The west has had two more wins than the East in the finals (22-20). If we count before the 70's, the east would be clearly in the lead with all the rings the Celtics wrapped up.

Also the Knicks had more losses this season (three) to the eastern conf. than the west conf.

TeamSeattle
04-23-2013, 04:32 PM

People really believe that crap about the West being better. You have a greater point differential and regular season record, and it gives people the illusion that the talent is greater. Since 1970 when the conferences were split The west has had two more wins than the East in the finals (22-20). If we count before the 70's, the east would be clearly in the lead with all the rings the Celtics wrapped up.

Also the Knicks had more losses this season (three) to the eastern conf. than the west conf.

Guppyfighter
04-23-2013, 04:35 PM

It's irrelevant how the conferences were in the past. The west was better in every metric possible this year and there is no denying that.

I can't believe you are actually denying this.

D-Leethal
04-23-2013, 04:36 PM
If Melo played in the East for 10 years and matched up against the Wizards instead of the Spurs he probably would have been to the finals twice already.

Instead he's the guy who couldn't get out the first round more than once.

Who gives a **** about fantasy hypotheticals. This is your reality, Knicks are a 2 seed, they were a top 'surprise team' this year, and the 'surprise teams' win these awards. Get ready for at least one more jimbo.

FYL_McVeezy
04-23-2013, 04:40 PM
Knicks turned the last few award threads into Knick circlejerks. That's not really anyone elses fault except for Knicks fans.

this isn't even true....

A troll derailed the "Melo Scoring title thread"
A troll derailed the "JR 6th man of the year thread"
A troll derailed this thread the minute a Knick executive was mentioned, this thread isn't even about the knicks.....

Point out a post where someone said "We are the best everything because we are from NY"

Majority of Knick fans I see posting in this thread are sticking up for their guy Grunwald (who btw has a clear case for Exec of the Year) and also giving credit where credit is due to guys such as Morey and The GM from Denver (Im not sure of the spelling of his name)

Point me out to a post where a Knick fan has derailed this thread.....

oak2455
04-23-2013, 04:45 PM
Boom !!!!!

TeamSeattle
04-23-2013, 04:48 PM
Boom !!!!!

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/3638261760/h501B9099/

JEDean89
04-23-2013, 04:54 PM

:facepalm: this is like domefavors level of denial. look at the records of the eastern conference teams, then to western conference then back to the eastern conference. you have 3 teams that finished in the east with a lower record than the worst team in the west. you have two teams in the west that would have made the playoffs in the east. yes the Knicks would be the sixth seed in the west, I am a knicks fan but you have to understand they have the 7th best record in the league, good but not great they also have a massive roster salary and players taking paycuts to get there. Every Knick fan has had such a hard time coming to gripes with the fact that Grunwald only had to find roll players this last summer where as other teams where actually doing something impressive. I honestly don't think it's that hard to build a 50-55 win ball club. Every year there are a couple that have absolutely no shot at contending. It's the execs that make that jump from perennial 1st round exit contention that are truly impressive. I have no idea how the voters vote on this ****, but Grunwald was not this years best exec and Woody was not this years best Coach. It is like blasphemy to try and tell my fellow Knick fans that. One fellow knick fan told me that Woody would win over GK because he had read more articles on why Woody should win than GK. :facepalm:

Guppyfighter
04-23-2013, 04:55 PM
this isn't even true....

A troll derailed the "Melo Scoring title thread"
A troll derailed the "JR 6th man of the year thread"
A troll derailed this thread the minute a Knick executive was mentioned, this thread isn't even about the knicks.....

Point out a post where someone said "We are the best everything because we are from NY"

Majority of Knick fans I see posting in this thread are sticking up for their guy Grunwald (who btw has a clear case for Exec of the Year) and also giving credit where credit is due to guys such as Morey and The GM from Denver (Im not sure of the spelling of his name)

Point me out to a post where a Knick fan has derailed this thread.....

I didn't say they derailed it. I said they turned it into a circlejerk. Nothing wrong about that.

GiantsSwaGG
04-23-2013, 04:55 PM
another knicks fan picking the knicks GM. :rolleyes:

:facepalm:

He just makes Miami heat fan base look worst

mightybosstone
04-23-2013, 04:57 PM

Wait.... So the West has a better record and a higher point differential, but ISN'T better than the East? Please explain how that makes sense. Just because historically the conferences haven't been that far apart in terms of rings, that has nothing to do with which conference is better this season. Hell, the Heat will probably win the title, but that doesn't mean the entire Eastern Conference is better than the Western Conference. That's a ridiculous ideal.

Look at the top tier talent and you'll see that the majority of the league's best players are in the Western Conference. And I don't think it's that close.

GiantsSwaGG
04-23-2013, 05:03 PM

You have to appreciate he tries to make it seem like he has Basketball knowledge when he clearly doesn't. He's just butt hurt another Knick is winning an award

TeamSeattle
04-23-2013, 05:05 PM
Wait.... So the West has a better record and a higher point differential, but ISN'T better than the East? Please explain how that makes sense. Just because historically the conferences haven't been that far apart in terms of rings, that has nothing to do with which conference is better this season. Hell, the Heat will probably win the title, but that doesn't mean the entire Eastern Conference is better than the Western Conference. That's a ridiculous ideal.

Look at the top tier talent and you'll see that the majority of the league's best players are in the Western Conference. And I don't think it's that close.

To the other poster, this is nowhere near a DMF level argument. I presented facts and minimal opinion. This is a perceived opinion so I understand the argument. What I was trying to say is this. If the end result is to win a ring, why should regular season statistics be a measurement of total talent difference? I mean if we go by just those standards that old Sacramento team should of won 3 or 4 rings but never made it to the finals and barely made it out of the 1st round.

Your right, if were just measuring by the regular season accolades you have a point.

GiantsSwaGG
04-23-2013, 05:06 PM

Brah at the end of the day the Knocks have a better winning percentage than tr Rockets. Knicks GM deserves it more!

Guppyfighter
04-23-2013, 05:08 PM
Brah at the end of the day the Knocks have a better winning percentage than tr Rockets. Knicks GM deserves it more!

Nuggets GM. If we just doing it by the jump, I'd have the Knicks second after the Nuggets GM.

justinnum1
04-23-2013, 05:08 PM

***** please

mightybosstone
04-23-2013, 05:15 PM
To the other poster, this is nowhere near a DMF level argument. I presented facts and minimal opinion. This is a perceived opinion so I understand the argument. What I was trying to say is this. If the end result is to win a ring, why should regular season statistics be a measurement of total talent difference? I mean if we go by just those standards that old Sacramento team should of won 3 or 4 rings but never made it to the finals and barely made it out of the 1st round.

Your right, if were just measuring by the regular season accolades you have a point.
But measuring solely by the postseason result isn't fair either, because only the champions from both conferences face one another. Hypothetical situation.... Suppose you take the best team in the league and place them in Conference X with the worst 14 teams in the NBA. Now suppose you take teams No. 2-16 and place them in Conference Y. Now, anyone with a brain could tell you that Conference Y was the better conference, but Conference X will probably still win the championship more years than not.

Second hypothetical situation.... Suppose you took the best 16 teams in the league today and had them face off regardless of conference. Would the majority of teams in the second round of eight and third round of four be from the Western Conference or Eastern Conference?

GiantsSwaGG
04-23-2013, 05:20 PM
But measuring solely by the postseason result isn't fair either, because only the champions from both conferences face one another. Hypothetical situation.... Suppose you take the best team in the league and place them in Conference X with the worst 14 teams in the NBA. Now suppose you take teams No. 2-16 and place them in Conference Y. Now, anyone with a brain could tell you that Conference Y was the better conference, but Conference X will probably still win the championship more years than not.

Second hypothetical situation.... Suppose you took the best 16 teams in the league today and had them face off regardless of conference. Would the majority of teams in the second round of eight and third round of four be from the Western Conference or Eastern Conference?

Not sure if trolling or an idiot. Or maybe both.

Yes name calling, let me have a debate with someone older than 15 and who actually knows basketball

GiantsSwaGG
04-23-2013, 05:20 PM

Not sure if trolling or an idiot. Or maybe both.

Yes name calling, let me have a debate with someone older than 15 and who actually knows basketball

GiantsSwaGG
04-23-2013, 05:22 PM

I'd have no problem with the Nuggets GM winning it also. The fact this rocket fan think their GM should win when their team is an 8th seed laughable

justinnum1
04-23-2013, 05:52 PM
The funniest thing is knicks fans are treating this award as if it where MVP lol

TeamSeattle
04-23-2013, 06:28 PM

Your creating pre-suppositions with your hypothetical situations. If you took 16 of the best teams and put them in the same conference, however style that conference takes would determine how well they play. The top teams might stay the top teams but things could change because of the influx of new talent. It's an unknown variable.

Look, The Western Conference is simply more finesse and offensive oriented, which yields more lopsided numbers than the East. Why is it that when players go to the East, they start to be seen as less of shooter? They are facing more physical defenses on nightly basis and tons of isolation play by superstars. The East loves to slow the game down and give the ball to the goto man, where as the west is more guard heavy and loves the kick outs. At this point we can agree to disagree on this, I should actually make a thread this could really go on for hours.

This is my own opinion on this but you had some good points too

Guppyfighter
04-23-2013, 07:02 PM
Your creating pre-suppositions with your hypothetical situations. If you took 16 of the best teams and put them in the same conference, however style that conference takes would determine how well they play. The top teams might stay the top teams but things could change because of the influx of new talent. It's an unknown variable.

Look, The Western Conference is simply more finesse and offensive oriented, which yields more lopsided numbers than the East. Why is it that when players go to the East, they start to be seen as less of shooter? They are facing more physical defenses on nightly basis and tons of isolation play by superstars. The East loves to slow the game down and give the ball to the goto man, where as the west is more guard heavy and loves the kick outs. At this point we can agree to disagree on this, I should actually make a thread this could really go on for hours.

This is my own opinion on this but you had some good points too

"No, I don't think it's telling at all the top five seeds in the west would all be two seeds in the East."

alexander_37
04-23-2013, 07:28 PM

Hardens TS% is higher than Kobe's has ever been .... in his entire career.

That's not what everyone else seems to believe, except for you I guess....

There is no 14 million.... It's 8.3 every single year......

Show me the league average point guard numbers. I bet you they are right around there.

Only time will tell.

I think you need a helmet.

Hawkeye15
04-23-2013, 07:32 PM

injuries played a large part in the entire season. it needs to be recognized.

alexander_37
04-23-2013, 07:34 PM
I'd have no problem with the Nuggets GM winning it also. The fact this rocket fan think their GM should win when their team is an 8th seed laughable

The Knicks wouldn't even be a playoff team in the West. They won 50% of their games vs the west and 70% against the East. They would have been a fringe playoff team.

TeamSeattle
04-23-2013, 07:35 PM
The Knicks wouldn't even be a playoff team in the West. They won 50% of their games vs the west and 70% against the East. They would have been a fringe playoff team.

*sigh*

Hawkeye15
04-23-2013, 07:37 PM

that has nothing to do with evaluating this topic. Nothing.

alexander_37
04-23-2013, 07:41 PM
that has nothing to do with evaluating this topic. Nothing.

How is it not? If the Rockets being an 8th seed in the West is the reason Morey shouldn't win the award then how is being seeded higher in a MUCH worse conference a bonus?

Hawkeye15
04-23-2013, 07:53 PM
How is it not? If the Rockets being an 8th seed in the West is the reason Morey shouldn't win the award then how is being seeded higher in a MUCH worse conference a bonus?

Look, I know your agenda, and I don't mean that in a bad way.

The Rockets moved up a single spot. They won 11 more games, after acquiring a young star, in a conference that was destroyed by injuries (do you really think a healthy Wolves/Mavs/Lakers team doesn't knock some wins off?). Morey, like I said earlier in this thread, is one year removed from winning this if he has a great summer.

Fact is, results matter. The Knicks moving from a team that was roadkill in round 1, barely making the playoffs, to a team that outside Miami is the team to beat in their conference, wins over a team that moved up one spot, and is now roadkill in round 1.

Morey is a GM I would rather have over Grunwald, but that doesn't mean the award should go to Morey. Uriji, Grunwald, both have a better argument.

alexander_37
04-23-2013, 08:38 PM

The Rockets moved up a single spot. They won 11 more games, after acquiring a young star, in a conference that was destroyed by injuries (do you really think a healthy Wolves/Mavs/Lakers team doesn't knock some wins off?). Morey, like I said earlier in this thread, is one year removed from winning this if he has a great summer.

Fact is, results matter. The Knicks moving from a team that was roadkill in round 1, barely making the playoffs, to a team that outside Miami is the team to beat in their conference, wins over a team that moved up one spot, and is now roadkill in round 1.

Morey is a GM I would rather have over Grunwald, but that doesn't mean the award should go to Morey. Uriji, Grunwald, both have a better argument.

Grunwald just didn't screw it up. Morey turned the Rockets from a team that was never going to make the playoffs into a team that was one OT away from being the 6th seed I believe. While making them the second youngest team with a ton of cap space.

Grunwald kept the status quo, KYK fans are acting like he went into the Euro leagues to find Smith ... He was on the roster last year.

Hawkeye15
04-23-2013, 08:47 PM
Grunwald just didn't screw it up. Morey turned the Rockets from a team that was never going to make the playoffs into a team that was one OT away from being the 6th seed I believe. While making them the second youngest team with a ton of cap space.

Grunwald kept the status quo, KYK fans are acting like he went into the Euro leagues to find Smith ... He was on the roster last year.

No, he built a team that sustained monster injuries to Amare, and still held the 2nd seed with discipline.

As I said, Morey would be my pick if they make a move into WC next year.

Guppyfighter
04-23-2013, 08:49 PM
In the SRS the Rockets are more like a fifth seed in the west.

Hawkeye15
04-23-2013, 09:02 PM
In the SRS the Rockets are more like a fifth seed in the west.

The voting doesn't care about that. I am a stats guy dude, but cmon, we both know how the votes go.

Guppyfighter
04-23-2013, 09:04 PM
Yeah, but are we talking about who should win or who will win?

ChiSox219
04-23-2013, 09:07 PM

The East is Miami and a bunch of roadkill. Knicks would be knocked out first round out West and they might be knocked out 1st anyway.

Hawkeye15
04-23-2013, 09:09 PM
Yeah, but are we talking about who should win or who will win?

Who will win it. We need to be realistic when we talk about awards. Which is why we have a "who SHOULD" make all NBA team, versus, "who WILL" for instance.

Hawkeye15
04-23-2013, 09:09 PM
The East is Miami and a bunch of roadkill. Knicks would be knocked out first round out West and they might be knocked out 1st anyway.

Never denied that. Simply stating the traditional line of thinking when it comes to these awards.

NYJ - NYY
04-23-2013, 10:27 PM
Martins gonna **** around and get grunwald win this running away

corytwotimes
04-24-2013, 10:11 AM
How can someone that signed Kenyon Martin, Jason Kidd, Rasheed Wallace, Earl Barron, Quentin Richardson, Marcus Camby and Kurt Thomas in 2013 be exec of the year?

I LOVE how this guy "tried" to leave off JR Smith.... 6th man of the year aka jr swish for like a million bucks??
jason kidd - mentor/veteran/yoda/hall of fame lock
martin/wallace/cambythomas = D.E.P.T.H.

they already had carmelo a top 3 player in the leugue, thats all they needed....now theyre a second seed breezing by the celtics in the playoffs...whats the issue here?

Houston is about to get the broom treatment from okc, theyll be on vacation bu the end of next week lol

kdspurman
04-24-2013, 02:09 PM
Uriji & Grunwald have good arguments.

FreakaNashur
04-24-2013, 02:28 PM
How is pat riley not even mentioned? he is on top of list of EOTY

its EITHER pat or that guy from the clippers

Chronz
04-24-2013, 02:40 PM
its EITHER pat or that guy from the clippers
CP3 and Vinny Del Negro? Hell yea, now that would be awesome.

Chronz
04-24-2013, 02:44 PM

Why? 8th seed in the West with their efficiency differentials is damn good for where they were projected to be, before the Harden rape.

I dont know/care who was the best, but to act like its a disgrace to choose Morey? Thats laughable

GiantsSwaGG
04-24-2013, 03:19 PM
Why? 8th seed in the West with their efficiency differentials is damn good for where they were projected to be, before the Harden rape.

I dont know/care who was the best, but to act like its a disgrace to choose Morey? Thats laughable

They were a 9th seed a year ago. They just moved up 1 spot. I'd give it to the Nuggets GM before the Rockets. They were only 2 gms back last year and I'm pretty sure if we would have a full season they would have the same record probably make the playoffs.

Nuggets had a great season same with the Knicks if you count the injuries. Nuggets GM made them into title contenders as for the Knicks GM, not only did he assembled a roster that won the Atlantic division, the Knicks look like title contenders (but they still have a ways to go to prove that). You can blame it on injuries but lets out it this way, before Rondo got hurt, the Celtics were still atruggling, I'll give you the Rose injury but even with that we move to probably the 3rd seed which is still a significant jumped from the 7th not to mention we were projected o be a 7th or 6th at best this season.

4milesperday
04-24-2013, 03:51 PM
I LOVE how this guy "tried" to leave off JR Smith.... 6th man of the year aka jr swish for like a million bucks??
jason kidd - mentor/veteran/yoda/hall of fame lock
martin/wallace/cambythomas = D.E.P.T.H.

they already had carmelo a top 3 player in the leugue, thats all they needed....now theyre a second seed breezing by the celtics in the playoffs...whats the issue here?

Houston is about to get the broom treatment from okc, theyll be on vacation bu the end of next week lol

JR Smith wanted to stay in NY and took less money to do it, had he demanded more money they would have let him go because their off-season focus was keeping Steve Novak. No one besides Dallas wanted Kidd and he saw a better winning opportunity with the Knicks plus he has many groupies in the NY/NJ area. Martin/Wallace/Camby/Thomas have combined for how many titles exactly? they are old hags that just can't compete with the best of them anymore.

THE MTL
04-24-2013, 04:21 PM
JR Smith wanted to stay in NY and took less money to do it, had he demanded more money they would have let him go because their off-season focus was keeping Steve Novak. No one besides Dallas wanted Kidd and he saw a better winning opportunity with the Knicks plus he has many groupies in the NY/NJ area. Martin/Wallace/Camby/Thomas have combined for how many titles exactly? they are old hags that just can't compete with the best of them anymore.

Do u even watch basketball? Seriously dude, your posts are pissing me off. U are on "DoMeFavors" status right now.

What u NEED to understand is that dumb@$$ critics like yourself who shunned Grunwald for all his moves this season, got a foot put in their mouths when Knicks won 54 games and second seed in the East.

Thats what an executive of the year does.