PDA

View Full Version : Forbes: The NBA's Most Underpaid Players

GunFactor187
04-22-2013, 05:41 PM
By Tom Van Riper | Forbes – 6 hours ago

They tend to be career role players or aging former stars – picked up on the cheap and plugged into a system that makes use of their talents. They don’t score a ton, but, as the advanced metrics show, they help win a lot of games.

The two most underpaid players in the league this season are a pair of key pickups in Los Angeles, one apiece by the Clippers and Lakers. Journeyman forward Matt Barnes, originally drafted by the Clippers out of UCLA in the second round back in 2003, rejoined the club this season after stints with seven - yes, seven - other NBA teams. The Clips got him for the veteran minimum wage of $854,389 (with the league kicking in a supplement of some $400,000), and utilized him as a key backup during their 56-26 season. Barnes played in 80 games, his most in three years, averaging 10.3 points and 4.6 rebounds in 25 minutes per game off the bench.

Barnes came to the Clippers after playing out his previous contract with the Lakers, who filled the void by picking up Antawn Jamison, a former 20-points-per game scorer who, at 36, helped to solidify the team’s banged-up front court by averaging nine points and five rebounds in 22 minutes a game. Jamison pulled in the same veteran minimum pay that Barnes did - $854,389 – a true bench bargain.

To determine the most underpaid players in the league, we used the same methodology as we did a couple of weeks ago for our list of the NBA's Most Overpaid Players: the wins-produced metrics from TheNBAGeek.com, a website run by Patrick Minton featuring an efficiency model devised by University of Southern Utah economics professor David Berri. Berri’s analysis stresses efficiency – not just points, rebounds and assists but how they stack up in the context of the game (ex: a faster-paced game with more shot attempts produces more chances for rebounds, so the telling stats aren’t raw totals as much as the percentage of the total chances).

By Berri’s reckoning, the 5.4 wins produced by Jamison made the difference in the Lakers pulling out a playoff spot. He rates third on the team by that metric, behind Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard. Barnes was even better, producing 7.1 wins for the Clippers, a mark that trailed only Chris Paul, Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan.

We excluded from consideration young players still on their rookie scale contracts, and backups who averaged fewer than 20 minutes a game, (mathematically, the model assumes performance in limited minutes would extend to larger minutes, which in the real world can’t be assumed. So we drew the line at starters and key subs that play at least 20 minutes).

Right behind Barnes and Jamison: Brooklyn’s Reggie Evans, a rebounding machine this year (11.1 a game) for $1.6 million, and Washington’s Martell Webster, who signed as a free agent for $1.75 million following a mediocre season in Minnesota in which he averaged 6.9 points in 47 games as a starter and backup. Webster started 62 games for the Wizards this year, the most since 2008, while averaging career highs of 29 minutes and 11.4 points per game.

And like Jamison, two other former stars turned role players make the cut: the Knicks’ Jason Kidd ($3.1 million; 9.8 wins) whose days of big stats are behind him but who remains one of the NBA’s most efficient players (his team plays much better when he’s on the floor), and Miami’s Ray Allen ($3.1 million; 6.1 wins), the veteran three-point shooter who added a big lift behind the Big Three by averaging 11 points on only eight shots a game this season.

Combining salary figures with advanced performance metrics from economist and Stumbling on Wins co-author David Berri, these 10 did the most for the least in 2012-13.* Note - we omitted young players still on their rookie scale contracts, and part-time players who averaged fewer than 20 minutes per game (since we can't assume such players would perform at the same level over more minutes on the floor).

Matt Barnes

Los Angeles Clippers
2012-13 Salary: $854,389
2012-13 Wins Produced: 7.1

Journeyman who’s been with eight teams in 10 seasons has been a solid contributor to the Clippers’ resurgence, averaging 10 points and five rebounds a game off the bench after signing for the veteran minimum (the league kicks in a supplement to the $854K the Clippers pay).

Antawn Jamison

Los Angeles Lakers
2012-13 Salary: $854,389
2012-13 Wins Produced: 5.4

Another veteran minimum signing, the 36-year-old former big-time scorer helped stabilize the Lakers’ ailing front court with 22 minutes a game.

Reggie Evans

Brooklyn Nets
2012-13 Salary: $1.6 million
2012-13 Wins Produced: 9.8

Eleven seasons, six teams, and, at 32, a rebounding machine (11.1 a game) in Brooklyn. Evans’ inside toughness is the perfect complement to scoring leaders Brook Lopez and Deron Williams, helping the Nets to a successful Brooklyn inaugural.

Martell Webster

Washington Wizards
2012-13 Salary: $1.75 million
2012-13 Wins Produced: 7.3

Started 62 games, his highest number since 2008, averaging 11.4 points and 42% three-point shooting.

Jason Kidd

New York Knicks
2012-13 Salary: $3.1 million
2012-13 Wins Produced: 9.8

He’s 40, and not the fast breaking J-Kidd who led New Jersey to a pair of NBA finals a decade ago. But the Knicks play much better when Kidd is on floor - the ball moves, and it doesn’t get turned over.

Thabo Sefolosha

Oklahoma City Thunder
2012-13 Salary: $3.6 million
2012-13 Wins Produced: 10.5

Backup shooting guard had his minutes stepped up this year with the departure of James Harden to Houston. Good shooter who averaged 7.6 points, 3.6 rebounds and 1.5 steals in 28 minutes.

Tony Allen

Memphis Grizzlies
2012-13 Salary: $3.3 million
2012-13 Wins Produced: 7.3

Former Boston Celtic guard rebounds well and doesn’t turn it over.

J.R. Smith

New York Knicks
2012-13 Salary: $2.8 million
2012-13 Wins Produced: 5.6

Can be maddeningly inconsistent, and doesn’t shoot a great percentage. But for 18 points a game and strong rebounding for a guard, $2.8 million is a bargain.

Ray Allen

Miami Heat
2012-13 Salary: $3.1 million
2012-13 Wins Produced: 6.1

Excellent veteran pickup for Miami, supplementing the Big Three with 42% shooting from three-point land and contributing 11 points on eight shots in 26 minutes a game.

Jared Dudley

Phoenix Suns
2012-13 Salary: $4.25 million
2012-13 Wins Produced: 8.0

Steady improvement over his six-year career has transformed Dudley into a starter from a backup, while roughly doubling his scoring average to 11 points a game.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nbas-most-underpaid-players-150514458--nba.html

Johann
04-22-2013, 05:42 PM
Where's Drummond?

jimm120
04-22-2013, 05:48 PM
Where's Drummond?

Rookie....rookie contract. No

BenFrank
04-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Chandler Parsons?

Kashmir13579
04-22-2013, 06:09 PM
Why is Reggie Evans only getting payed 1.8 million? Thats a joke. Someone give this man a contract for Christ's sake.

xnick5757
04-22-2013, 06:09 PM
LBJ is underpaid. All the superstars are, because of the cap.

Hawkeye15
04-22-2013, 06:13 PM
Where's Drummond?

We excluded from consideration young players still on their rookie scale contracts

excluded

Hawkeye15
04-22-2013, 06:13 PM
Chandler Parsons?

We excluded from consideration young players still on their rookie scale contracts

excluded, though I wouldn't have minded an exception on this one, he gets paid NOTHING.

Utd7
04-22-2013, 06:26 PM
JR won't be after this summer. He's owed a big raise and deservedly so thankfully we have his Bird Rights.

dalton749
04-23-2013, 03:17 AM
Where's Drummond?

wheres jonas valanciunas :S

RiceOnTheRun
04-23-2013, 05:06 AM
JR Smith for sure. Knicks wouldn't be going anywhere in the playoffs without him. Give the man his damn money, I just hope he stays with the Knicks.

The goods
04-23-2013, 05:58 AM
No Kobe? Wtf!!! Lol

Vinylman
04-23-2013, 09:40 AM
Another inaccurate article by Forbes...

Jamison makes $1.352 million

D-Leethal
04-23-2013, 10:35 AM
Kenyon Martin

corytwotimes
04-23-2013, 11:07 AM
underpaid??? all yall including the ones who wrote this article are LOST IN THE SAUCE......they gettin paid MILLIONS to play a "game" they love....while a teacher who is responsible for teaching and developing our children and future make 30k annually, THATS UNDERPAID

Heres MY underpaid list

Plummers
Garbage Men
Lumberjacks
Teachers
ALL MILITARY
roofers
landscapers
fast food/resteraunt workers
I COULD ON FOREVER

This thread is a joke

Ark45
04-23-2013, 11:10 AM
Reggie :clap:

NYKnickFanatic
04-23-2013, 11:21 AM
OMG!!!!! They're off by 500k WHAT BUMS!!!!

Get a life, loser. He's still underpaid.

:laugh2: Calm down dude, why are you so angry?

NYKnickFanatic
04-23-2013, 11:22 AM
underpaid??? all yall including the ones who wrote this article are LOST IN THE SAUCE......they gettin paid MILLIONS to play a "game" they love....while a teacher who is responsible for teaching and developing our children and future make 30k annually, THATS UNDERPAID

Heres MY underpaid list

Plummers
Garbage Men
Lumberjacks
Teachers
ALL MILITARY
roofers
landscapers
I COULD ON FOREVER

This thread is a joke

PREACH! Brother!

Lol @ your spelling.

John Walls Era
04-23-2013, 11:34 AM

Heres MY underpaid list

Plummers
Garbage Men
Lumberjacks
Teachers
ALL MILITARY
roofers
landscapers
I COULD ON FOREVER

This thread is a joke

Hell no. They don't do ****.

And Garbage men make like 50k a year. Thats plenty enough.

corytwotimes
04-23-2013, 11:39 AM
Hell no. They don't do ****.

And Garbage men make like 50k a year. Thats plenty enough.

Teachers dont do anything??? Are u serious right now? You must not have kids....
And in exactly what city do garbage men make 50K? **** sign me up Im an IT analyst and I only make 36

John Walls Era
04-23-2013, 03:09 PM
Teachers dont do anything??? Are u serious right now? You must not have kids....
And in exactly what city do garbage men make 50K? **** sign me up Im an IT analyst and I only make 36

50k Canadian.

Teachers really don't do a lot. They read from a book. I agree that their job can be stressing if they're teaching elementary, but the job as a whole is easy. Also getting a degree in education is pretty easy, which also undervalues their job.

Max.This
04-23-2013, 03:12 PM

Heres MY underpaid list

Plummers
Garbage Men
Lumberjacks
Teachers
ALL MILITARY
roofers
landscapers
I COULD ON FOREVER

This thread is a joke

Garbage men in NY get paid very well, I'd say around 80K

Max.This
04-23-2013, 03:15 PM
50k Canadian.

Teachers really don't do a lot. They read from a book. I agree that their job can be stressing if they're teaching elementary, but the job as a whole is easy. Also getting a degree in education is pretty easy, which also undervalues their job.

being a teacher is not easy. For the most part , teachers often pay for their own supplies for the kids, whether its for the kids or decorating the rooms. They constantly have to deal with parents and keep them updated on their children. Yes they probably dont need to take a course on astrophysics, but their job requires an immense amount of patience and dedication. Not to mention some take on after school obligations. What job is really considered easy?

NYKalltheway
04-23-2013, 03:32 PM
derailed thread :yawn:

sunsfan88
04-24-2013, 01:50 AM
excluded, though I wouldn't have minded an exception on this one, he gets paid NOTHING.
This is true. If I'm Parsons, I would lose motivation to play as well as he's been playing on such a bad contract.

Jenceman
04-24-2013, 01:59 AM
50k Canadian.

Yeah ******** on teaching being easy.

2-ONE-5
04-24-2013, 10:00 AM

Heres MY underpaid list

Plummers
Garbage Men
Lumberjacks
Teachers
ALL MILITARY
roofers
landscapers
I COULD ON FOREVER

This thread is a joke

this is a sports forum get this BS out of here

corytwotimes
04-24-2013, 10:22 AM
this is a sports forum get this BS out of here

i dont care what kind of "internet forum" this is little dude, if i see some BS brainwashed **** ill speak on it.....u probably jus a little boy who aint hopped off the porch yet, go sit down somewhere.

ghettosean
04-24-2013, 10:27 AM

Heres MY underpaid list

Plummers
Garbage Men
Lumberjacks
Teachers
ALL MILITARY
roofers
landscapers
I COULD ON FOREVER

This thread is a joke

Though you might not get respect in this thread for what you said I'd have to agree... These guys get paid more than doctors who save lives and these guys are just playing basketball and some get paid 100 times or more than Doctors, Fireman, Police (really more than anyone who saves lives or uses there knowledge to make the world a better place).

In comparison no one in the NBA is getting underpaid that's for sure.

AndyfromNeptune
04-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Though you might not get respect in this thread for what you said I'd have to agree... These guys get paid more than doctors who save lives and these guys are just playing basketball and some get paid 100 times or more than Doctors, Fireman, Police (really more than anyone who saves lives or uses there knowledge to make the world a better place).

In comparison no one in the NBA is getting underpaid that's for sure.

I hate these conversations. We live in a capitalistic society.

There are more people available to teach and be doctors than players that can jump over 30 inches with high levels of coordination despite an incredible amount of stress of playing in front of thousands of people. These players are paid to not only perform but entertain, and based on the millions of people that watch their every move every single day, I say they are doing a pretty good job.

R. Johnson#3
04-24-2013, 10:45 AM
Tony Allen doesn't turn the ball over?

ghettosean
04-24-2013, 10:59 AM

There are more people available to teach and be doctors than players that can jump over 30 inches with high levels of coordination despite an incredible amount of stress of playing in front of thousands of people. These players are paid to not only perform but entertain, and based on the millions of people that watch their every move every single day, I say they are doing a pretty good job.

I agree with you fully and hate these conversations too but comparing someones life at stake (to make it more dramatic and a true scenario that would happen in a hospital each day is dealing with a person bleeding prefusly all over the place and dying) and comparing that to the stress of playing basketball in an arena with fans I don't think it's much of a comparison. There contributions to society are much different as well I don't think someone should get paid 100 times more because he is tall and can jump high then someone who saves lives and in some cases under the worst of circumstances.

Just my opinion but I'll leave it at that.

2-ONE-5
04-24-2013, 11:21 AM
i dont care what kind of "internet forum" this is little dude, if i see some BS brainwashed **** ill speak on it.....u probably jus a little boy who aint hopped off the porch yet, go sit down somewhere.

no get this nonsense out of a BASKETBALL FORUM. Teachers and garabge people arent underpaid. If you wanna get paid more be better at your job or find a bigger company its that simple.

back on topic:

Reggie Evans seems to be one of the most under paid players every year for 10 years now. The man never complainhs or anything, just busts it on the court every chance he gets.

I Rock Shaqs
04-24-2013, 12:01 PM
Damn J.R Smith only making 2.8 thats crazy he gonna get paid like 8 a year after this year.

I Rock Shaqs
04-24-2013, 12:03 PM
50k Canadian.

LMAO Teacher's jobs are easy BWAHAHAHA! You must have gone to some private school with all white people.

bleedprple&gold
04-24-2013, 01:14 PM

This. If you look at just the U.S. alone there are 314 million people (not even counting the rest of the world). There are about 400 players in the nba. That means that 400/314,000,000 = 0.0000013% of the U.S. population play in the nba. Name another profession that has such few people and is in high demand. That's why they get paid so much.

VinceCarter
04-24-2013, 06:02 PM

+1 They bring in a lot of money so they make a lot of money. Simple as that.

tredigs
04-24-2013, 06:44 PM

Well, his salary is double that of the President of the United States and makes in 2 seasons what most do in a lifetime, so I'm sure he'll be able to scrape by. Poor kid.

But agreed, best contract in the NBA for Houston.

tredigs
04-24-2013, 06:49 PM

There's no doubt that they earn their salary, for the simple fact that they put out a product that millions of people pay to watch every year. And like you said, the amount that can perform the game at the NBA level is minimal (we have to remember how many other leagues there are in the world, and most are not millionaires there).

It's still insane money that in 2 seasons, invested appropriately, sets you for the rest of your life.

waveycrockett
04-24-2013, 11:55 PM
LBJ is the most underpaid athlete in the NBA. In any other major sport he'd be making $30-35 Million per year easy. But from this list the answer is def Reggie Evans.

ColtsSpursTerps
04-25-2013, 12:48 AM

Heres MY underpaid list

Plummers
Garbage Men
Lumberjacks
Teachers
ALL MILITARY
roofers
landscapers
I COULD ON FOREVER

This thread is a joke
http://oi36.tinypic.com/2h3dj74.jpg

IKnowHoops
04-25-2013, 03:34 PM
Jared Dudley is overpaid

SLY WILLIAMS
04-25-2013, 03:35 PM
JR Smith has been a steal. What about Nate Robinson at 1.1 million?

IKnowHoops
04-25-2013, 03:47 PM

Heres MY underpaid list

Plummers
Garbage Men
Lumberjacks
Teachers
ALL MILITARY
roofers
landscapers
I COULD ON FOREVER

This thread is a joke

I feel you, but to quote my boy Coach Winters(James Caan playing that role in the Program) "When's the last time 80,000 people showed up to watch a **** chemistry experiment. Why don't you stick that bow tie up your ***."

Hawkeye15
04-25-2013, 03:49 PM
Well, his salary is double that of the President of the United States and makes in 2 seasons what most do in a lifetime, so I'm sure he'll be able to scrape by. Poor kid.

But agreed, best contract in the NBA for Houston.

Athlete pay is a separate world dude.

Can't believe he makes under 1 million

LayBraun
04-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Surprised the article doesn't mention LeBron. Considering his production and overall image in the world of basketball, James should have garnished one of the largest contracts in the history of professional sports.

JoeBlessU
04-25-2013, 03:58 PM
LBJ is the most underpaid athlete in the NBA. In any other major sport he'd be making $30-35 Million per year easy. But from this list the answer is def Reggie Evans.

You should send Lebron a personal check.. He deserves it, heck I think we should all send him a check. His 52 million last season (including endorsements) is just not enough, this guy deserve trillions.. Come on people! Let help Lebron out with his financial difficulties..LOL

ClearSoulForce
04-25-2013, 04:00 PM
Vince Carter. He made like 3 million and he was great this season.

JoeBlessU
04-25-2013, 04:00 PM
Surprised the article doesn't mention LeBron. Considering his production and overall image in the world of basketball, James should have garnished one of the largest contracts in the history of professional sports.

Lebron chose the contract he signed because he knew he needed the help of Bosh and Wade or he would have never won a title. Cleveland would have wrote him a blank check to stay.. and now Lebron is complaing how much he makes.. ironic

rocket
04-25-2013, 04:20 PM
JR Smith is underpaid the most IMO.

When he signed his contract I was a bit confused.