PDA

View Full Version : Allen Iverson’s friends are worried about him and his life post basketball

spreadeagle
04-22-2013, 05:30 PM
McKie and others have texted. Iverson responds sometimes, although days or weeks often pass. Other times, there’s no reply. He keeps to himself, something of a recluse, and declines most interview requests. Last year his eldest daughter, Tiaura, asked to live with her father, according to divorce testimony transcripts. She was concerned about how few people her dad interacts with.

“I just don’t like to see it end this way,” Brown said.

I suggest they go read the great story in the Washington Post from last Friday. Iverson doesn’t sound like somebody in a good place right now and people around him are concerned.

For the past three years, as Iverson chased an NBA comeback, his marriage fell apart and much of his fortune – he earned more than $150 million in salary alone during his career – dissolved. Now, those who once ignored past signals have recognized that basketball may have been the only thing holding Iverson’s life together.

“He has hit rock bottom, and he just hasn’t accepted it yet,” says former Philadelphia teammate Roshown McLeod….

“I worry about him,” (former coach Larry) Brown said. “A lot….

“I just don’t like to see it end this way,” Brown said.

Like I said, go read the whole story.

Iverson has no NBA comeback left in him. He’s not fully broke — there was a trust set up with Reebok money that still exists for him — but he apparently continues to live like the NBA money is still rolling in.

There is still plenty of time for an Iverson life comeback. I hope we get to see that.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/22/allen-iversons-friends-are-worried-about-him/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards/allen-iverson-nba-icon-struggles-with-life-after-basketball/2013/04/19/bfd108f8-a76e-11e2-a8e2-5b98cb59187f_story_1.html

HYFR
04-22-2013, 05:37 PM
Basketball was his life and he had no backup plan when his career was over. Sad to see this but he can't blame anyone but himself

Jewelz0376
04-22-2013, 05:42 PM
I'm one of the biggest AI fans out there...and hearing this makes me sad...but I can't say I'm surprised by this at all..

I still wish he could've ended his career better..the right way...the way a 1st ballot hof should...o well

kozelkid
04-22-2013, 05:53 PM
Interesting. Didn't seem like they were too concerned when they all mooched off him. Not that it isn't AI's fault for not being more responsible, but considering how AI grew up, I'm sure it's incredibly difficult to deny helping your friends who struggled with you.

naps
04-22-2013, 06:16 PM
This makes me sad. Sure, it goes mostly on him but it's always sad to see someone fall like this who once was at the top of the basketball world. How quickly has he fallen from that iconic status. SMH...

ManRam
04-22-2013, 06:17 PM
i don't have much sympathy for guys who blow through hundreds of millions of dollars...but i do feel bad for AI here. sounds like some serious problems...depression especially.

LayBraun
04-22-2013, 06:49 PM
i don't have much sympathy for guys who blow through hundreds of millions of dollars...but i do feel bad for AI here. sounds like some serious problems...depression especially.

Pretty much took the words out of mouth. Most people don't understand that if it wasn't for his extreme skill in a sport that allowed him to make a living he would have most likely ended up dead on the streets in VA or living a life as a gangbanger. He had a tough childhood and isn't very educated so I can understand these problems after basketball and I can sympathize.

More-Than-Most
04-22-2013, 07:04 PM
Oh Well. He screwed himself.

Jarvo
04-22-2013, 07:05 PM
:( idk how true this is that he is doing that damn bad though.

More-Than-Most
04-22-2013, 07:06 PM
Being extremely rich and then being almost broke is probably one of the worst feelings ever but whoever blows that much money deserves what they get. Just stupid. 150 million.... Come on

LayBraun
04-22-2013, 07:10 PM
Being extremely rich and then being almost broke is probably one of the worst feelings ever but whoever blows that much money deserves what they get. Just stupid. 150 million.... Come on

Doesn't he have 30 million stored away he can't touch until he's 50?

smith&wesson
04-22-2013, 07:11 PM
I cant feel bad for people like this.

you blew 140 million dollars before you turned 40. thats a great achievment in itself. you have to be extreamly talented and lucky to have earned that kind of money and really stupid to blow it all in the time that he did.

if you dont appreciate the blessings god gives you, chances are you will lose them.

kobe4thewinbang
04-22-2013, 07:11 PM
Give me $150 million and I won't end up like Iverson. Dude should've went to the D-League. By next year, he might be back on an NBA team. Therapy is available also. Dude just doesn't get it.

spreadeagle
04-22-2013, 07:12 PM
I think that is the Reebok trust mentioned in the story, not sure though

smith&wesson
04-22-2013, 07:14 PM

if you cant manage 150 million and blow it all in a few years, whats 30 million gonna do ? give him a few more months ? lol

BALLER R
04-22-2013, 07:20 PM
how the hell do you blow 150 mill in less than 20 years?

LayBraun
04-22-2013, 07:21 PM
if you cant manage 150 million and blow it all in a few years, whats 30 million gonna do ? give him a few more months ? lol

Haha well my point was that he's not totally broke but yeah he's going to need to learn to manage he's money better.

smith&wesson
04-22-2013, 07:34 PM
Haha well my point was that he's not totally broke but yeah he's going to need to learn to manage he's money better.

30 million is alot, he can easily and comftorably live off that for the rest of his life. Man i wish i had this problem "i use to have 150 million, now i only have 30" lol :eyebrow:

LayBraun
04-22-2013, 07:38 PM
30 million is alot, he can easily and comftorably live off that for the rest of his life. Man i wish i had this problem "i use to have 150 million, now i only have 30" lol :eyebrow:

I'm 20, give me 30 million and I'd never work a day in my life.

Rivera
04-22-2013, 07:40 PM
I feel sad for AI One of my all time favorite players

pd7631
04-22-2013, 07:47 PM

The whole situation really isn't as simple as having a lot of money and losing it, the fact that you, and several others have decided to make such a complicated situation seem so cut and dry is just plain ignorant.

Anyone that says that they wouldn't have had the same complications as AI is 100% right. Why? Because nobody on the face of the earth that has existed, still exists, or will exist, has faced the same set of circumstances that Allen Iverson has faced in his life. Sure, there may be a few things here or there that others have dealt with, but the totality of this man's life is why he is who he is.

Just a few things to consider...

-AI's mom was 15 when she had him

-AI's mom was often out late at night when AI was a kid, doing drugs and interacting with downright bad people at times

-AI grew up without a father

-AI was forced at a young age to be the caretaker of his two younger sisters

-His childhood home was often covered in sewage, and rarely had running water or electricity

-He grew up in an extremely rough neighborhood, having lost several friends to gang violence

-Was unjustly sentenced to 15 years in prison in HS while he was among the top rated football and basketball players in the country

etc...

Those are just a few of the things he had to deal with before he was even an adult. He came from the absolute lowest of lows. As several people that know AI have pointed out many times, he's loyal to a fault. When he made it out of Hampton, he took care of the people that essentially kept him alive until his days in the NBA.

It's incredibly easy for someone to look at AI and say he's "stupid" for letting his life get to where it is right now, but nobody saying this has been where he's been, seen what he's seen, done what he's done.

It saddens me to see AI in the place he's at right now, but he's one of the most resilient people I've ever witnessed, and I have faith that he'll be able to get up off the mat, dust himself off, and get back to living a productive and happy life.

Slug3
04-22-2013, 07:59 PM
I mean are the friends really worried? Or worried that he doesn't have money to spend on them anymore?

CityofChaos
04-22-2013, 08:19 PM
I dont feel sorry for him one bit. He could have still been in the NBA had he excepted a lesser role, but his ego inflated his self perception. Why feel bad for a man who has made so much money not only through the NBA, but with Reebok and other sponserships? Hes just another talented athlete with no brain let alone a clue on how to handle money.

broncofangene
04-23-2013, 04:11 AM

His wife gets half of that 30 mil. I have no sympathy for him when he spent that much cash. He should've started a business or something to keep him busy and sober

LakersIn5
04-23-2013, 04:15 AM
i miss AI!!! sign with the lakers! you are better than duhon and darius morris and/or glock

LakersIn5
04-23-2013, 04:15 AM
i miss AI!!! sign with the lakers! you are better than duhon and darius morris and/or glock

sjbirds
04-23-2013, 04:34 AM
He's nba broke not college student broke. He has the trust set up plus his nba pension which is a nice chunk of money.

JayW_1023
04-23-2013, 04:35 AM
I understand he wants to give back. I don't understand how he blew most of that money because of his compulsive gambling addiction.

Losoway
04-23-2013, 04:35 AM
lol this is bs. allen iverson just signed a multi million dollar deal with reebok last year. his sneakers are currently selling out every release.

complete bs thread

Kevj77
04-23-2013, 04:49 AM
how the hell do you blow 150 mill in less than 20 years?Unfortunately he had too many leeches around him. Considering he probably paid half of what he made in taxes. So he only blew through 75 million. Made some bad investments, lived like he was going to make 20 million a year forever and not until his career was over.

It happens, but I don't feel sorry for anyone that blows that kind of money. You should look up some of the stories of lottery winners it's sad.

JAZZNC
04-23-2013, 01:29 PM
You blow $150 by being a huge dumbass. He could have gotten back in the NBA if it wasn't for him being such a selfish, me first player. Everything that got him to this point is his own fault. Nobody should feel sorry for him that he lost all his money.

blahblahyoutoo
04-23-2013, 02:15 PM

so he'll be living a lavish lifestyle from ages 50-52 then broke again?

OceanSpray
04-23-2013, 04:23 PM
Glad it happened to him. Goes to show why you shouldn't be stupid with your money. He deserves it. One of my favorite players of all time but if you're careless enough to spend all that money with no financial objective ahead of you, you deserve to lose it all.

LOOTERX9
04-23-2013, 04:45 PM
I've never liked Iverson's chucking style ball play as a undersized combo pg/sg. Plus his image alone is what lead to stern instating the NBA dress code. Iverson has done more harm to the nba's image than good when he played. Being a chucker plus acting like he's Tupac was not good marketing for one of the nba's top stars.
So I am not sad bout iverson's supposed struggles now, I never liked him much anyways..

Riodagoat
04-23-2013, 05:43 PM
All the bad news about AI have been circulating for so long but I am still in shock of how his life transpired.

I'm a 90s kid so he was my very first favorite superstar. Every time he would have a new shoe release from Reebok I would always ask my parents to buy it for me. It's a shame to see what his life has turned into. Can't believe this guy once had 150 million and is now nearly broke.

Cal827
04-24-2013, 04:58 PM
You blow $150 by being a huge dumbass. He could have gotten back in the NBA if it wasn't for him being such a selfish, me first player. Everything that got him to this point is his own fault. Nobody should feel sorry for him that he lost all his money.

Wow, if you feel that way about losing $150, I wonder how you feel about someone losing 150million :D

Sadds The Gr8
04-24-2013, 05:19 PM
Not surprising at all...shouldve accepted a bench role

YashBoone
04-24-2013, 09:57 PM
He could definitely get some burn on an nba team ... Him and stephon Marbury .... Two of the greatest point guards coming out of college and both just did not bow out gracefully.

Bigbadmoffo
04-24-2013, 10:45 PM
The whole situation really isn't as simple as having a lot of money and losing it, the fact that you, and several others have decided to make such a complicated situation seem so cut and dry is just plain ignorant.

Anyone that says that they wouldn't have had the same complications as AI is 100% right. Why? Because nobody on the face of the earth that has existed, still exists, or will exist, has faced the same set of circumstances that Allen Iverson has faced in his life. Sure, there may be a few things here or there that others have dealt with, but the totality of this man's life is why he is who he is.

Just a few things to consider...

-AI's mom was 15 when she had him

-AI's mom was often out late at night when AI was a kid, doing drugs and interacting with downright bad people at times

-AI grew up without a father

-AI was forced at a young age to be the caretaker of his two younger sisters

-His childhood home was often covered in sewage, and rarely had running water or electricity

-He grew up in an extremely rough neighborhood, having lost several friends to gang violence

-Was unjustly sentenced to 15 years in prison in HS while he was among the top rated football and basketball players in the country

etc...

Those are just a few of the things he had to deal with before he was even an adult. He came from the absolute lowest of lows. As several people that know AI have pointed out many times, he's loyal to a fault. When he made it out of Hampton, he took care of the people that essentially kept him alive until his days in the NBA.

It's incredibly easy for someone to look at AI and say he's "stupid" for letting his life get to where it is right now, but nobody saying this has been where he's been, seen what he's seen, done what he's done.

It saddens me to see AI in the place he's at right now, but he's one of the most resilient people I've ever witnessed, and I have faith that he'll be able to get up off the mat, dust himself off, and get back to living a productive and happy life.

Dude my mom was beat by nuns and raped by men. She lost her brothers and parents at a young age. She spent her teen years on the streets doing drugs ect. Now she's 62 with a great pension and 2 kids, 2 nieces and 1 nephew. She's healthy and happy. Growing up tough only makes the future easier. AI is a loser/bum who was given an undeserving talent period! It pisses me off when guys like this get handed a gift and throw it away.

statquo
04-24-2013, 10:47 PM
Should sign for vet min and play for the heat haha.

4milesperday
04-24-2013, 11:13 PM

He has probably borrowed 5 million in exchange for that 30 mill ...a fool will always do foolish things. d

bootleg42
04-24-2013, 11:26 PM
Oh Well. He screwed himself.

Yes and no.

A lot of people don't also realize how much good he did for young poor kids in the ghetto with programs and stuff like that. He spent a ton of money on that too. It's something the media barely showed.

Should he also have been wiser to the other spending....yes. But people shouldn't hate so easily.

ThuglifeJ
04-24-2013, 11:29 PM

I agree on the depression. It's hard to accept depression when your ego has been so inflated from the lights and money.. hell even MJ looks crazy depressed sometimes because of the whole effect such fame has on your mind (top of the world-to-nostalgic act)

I think it's easy to say you cant feel bad because the money being blown, but in reality we are all probably middle-class and up or college students on here. Hard to actually understand how it's different.

I feel like no one helped him enough with how to handle NOT being in the NBA limelight. How to handle getting older, and having your fame/skill diminish. You see smarter dudes having struggles after NBA, probably a nightmare for a guy like AI who doesn't understand what's happening.

is a lot of money tho...

ThuglifeJ
04-24-2013, 11:36 PM
Glad it happened to him. Goes to show why you shouldn't be stupid with your money. He deserves it. One of my favorite players of all time but if you're careless enough to spend all that money with no financial objective ahead of you, you deserve to lose it all.

Even if its a mix of not understanding what is happening in his life and depression?

AI always cared a lot (probably too much) about a lot of things. He blew a lot on his friends who grew up struggling with him and on bball camps in bad areas, etc. He tried to please everyone basically

waveycrockett
04-24-2013, 11:52 PM
On the court I dont think there is an athlete I've ever been more impressed by than Allen Iverson. Hope he pulls it together.