PDA

View Full Version : Warriors rejected trade offer from Celtics of Paul Pierce for Harrison Barnes

sunsfan88
04-21-2013, 03:16 AM
At the deadline, the Golden State Warriors turned down an offer of Paul Pierce from the Boston Celtics for Harrison Barnes and the expiring 2014 contract of either Andris Biedrins or Richard Jefferson.

Barnes was the seventh overall pick in last June's draft and started 81 games at small forward.

With Pierce, the Warriors presumably would have improved their short-term chances in the playoffs.

- Real GM

Damn, I honestly have no idea if the trade would have been good or bad for either team but I think one thing is for sure: Both teams would be A LOT different after the deal if GSW had agreed to it.

Raps08-09 Champ
04-21-2013, 03:19 AM
The Celtics try to trade away everyone.

JEDean89
04-21-2013, 04:09 AM
celtics should just sack up and ride out the garnett pierce era and ask them to retire after next season, make a big ol deal about it in boston the clear cap space and move forward with Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sullinger, Melo and bass and try and get a superstar to pair with rondo. I think a guy like Kevin Love would do wonders on this team paired with rondo.

or just sign al jefferson and pray that when rondo comes back the team can click

HouRealCoach
04-21-2013, 04:13 AM
Really don't understand why GS would do that trade

b@llhog24
04-21-2013, 04:36 AM

Because it would improve their offense and defense?

shep33
04-21-2013, 04:42 AM
Nah, you don't give up on Barnes that quickly. I know Pierce is an excellent player, but he's got 1-2 more solid years left I'd say. Barnes has his whole career ahead of him.

odiz
04-21-2013, 04:49 AM
Nah, you don't give up on Barnes that quickly. I know Pierce is an excellent player, but he's got 1-2 more solid years left I'd say. Barnes has his whole career ahead of him.

And its not like Barnes has been bad either. Hes been solid and hes full of potential. Pierce really wouldnt have made the team much better now and wed only have him for another year or two.

SugeKnight
04-21-2013, 05:17 AM
PP would have made the Warriors a top 3 team in the west at least.

LAcowBOMBER
04-21-2013, 06:37 AM
I wouldn't do that if I was GS

John Walls Era
04-21-2013, 06:39 AM
Warriors tanked a season to get Barnes, they wouldn't trade him away.

GiantsSwaGG
04-21-2013, 06:40 AM
PP is at the end of his career. Barnes will be a solid role player

MILLERHIGHLIFE
04-21-2013, 07:20 AM
Pierce would of been just a rental.

BoSox47
04-21-2013, 09:16 AM
Pierce would of been just a rental.

must have taken some deep research to figure that out...

lol, please
04-21-2013, 12:03 PM
lol.

RipCity32
04-21-2013, 12:08 PM
GS would be dumb to do that.Give up a young prospect for a guy coming to the end of is career.

HouRealCoach
04-21-2013, 12:27 PM

They have a young team, Pierce has like 2 years left & he won't make them a championship team so why not keep your youngsters together and let them excel together whether than see him go to Boston & become something big while Pierce has retired

When you have a young team, you are not supposed to trade for anyone old unless they bring you to a championship level

HouRealCoach
04-21-2013, 12:27 PM

They have a young team, Pierce has like 2 years left & he won't make them a championship team so why not keep your youngsters together and let them excel together whether than see him go to Boston & become something big while Pierce has retired

When you have a young team, you are not supposed to trade for anyone old unless they bring you to a championship level

Hawkeye15
04-21-2013, 12:31 PM
Golden State did the right thing. Why trade for a old rental, when the rest of your team is young, up and coming? Barnes fits that.

GunFactor187
04-21-2013, 12:36 PM
Wish the Pistons could get Barnes somehow... :(

C-Wick925
04-21-2013, 12:44 PM
The Celtics try to trade away everyone.

Im not sure what this thread is even about anymore... I got mesmerized by your sig... Wtf is he doing? It looks like he is gently laying down to bone his teammate?

LAKobeBryant
04-21-2013, 12:48 PM

They need a vet leader.

c.c.
04-21-2013, 01:01 PM
I know its a business but the Celtics have no respect for their HOF's. This should discourage players from going there in the future

kingjaymes23
04-21-2013, 01:19 PM
Why is this a thread? Barnes has been a solid starter in his rookie season. There are only good things ahead for him. Why trade for Pierce who probably has 2-3 seasons left and give up 6-10 seasons from Barnes?

hugepatsfan
04-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Wow if GS had accepted that KG probably would have gone to LAC. Boston would have gone into next season with:

Rondo
Eric Bledsoe
Avery Bradley
Courtney Lee
Terrence Williams
Harrison Barnes
Jeff Green
Jared Sullinger
Deandre Jordan
Fab Melo

as pieces for the future. Then you have Bass and Terry as contracts you'd like to include in a trade (maybe not next year, but the following year when they become valuable expirings). Still a long way to go to get that group to championship level, but a heck of a start IMO. Lots of tradable assets.

I agree with GS's decision to turn the deal down, but it wouldn't necessarily have been a bad move for them IMO. Pierce still has 2-3 very good years left in him IMO and he's a west coast guy so I think he'd be happy to play there. Great veteran presence to have around the young guys there. Barnes is a nice piece, but I don't see him ever developing into a star or anything. I'd rather have Pierce for the next 2-3 seasons than Barnes no doubt.

2-ONE-5
04-21-2013, 01:38 PM
Pierce doesnt put GS over the top to even beat Denver. Barnes is what 13 years younger? no brainer

Ebbs
04-21-2013, 01:45 PM
They made the right call keeping Barnes

b@llhog24
04-21-2013, 02:05 PM

You said you don't understand why, and really it comes down to just how much potential you see Barnes having on this team. I'm thinking alone the lines of "capable starter" which to me, wouldn't be worth what Pierce could bring you. Obviously we don't know for sure how injuries would play out assuming he was there but a team of Curry, Klay, Pierce, Lee, Bogut, Jack, Rush and Landry would be contenders imo.

hugepatsfan
04-21-2013, 02:25 PM
Pierce doesnt put GS over the top to even beat Denver. Barnes is what 13 years younger? no brainer

I absolutely think he puts them over the top to beat DEN. Pierce is the 4th best SF in the NBA. He average 19/6/5 this year with his usual great efficiency. And he'd only be more efficient if he could slide in as the second scorer behind Curry instead of having to carry the load like he did in BOS.

If you put Pierce on GS they become the 3rd best team in the West IMO. However, Pierce to GS probably would have resulted in KG going to LAC, which might have vaulted them up to #3 and pushed GS to #4.

F()()TBALL
04-21-2013, 02:32 PM
They need a vet leader.

Mark Jackson fills that role for the team, although not on the court he is essentially that. Also they have Richard Jefferson and Carl Landry. I really don't see Pierce coming in and immediately being a leader anyways

NoahH
04-22-2013, 06:47 PM
Would have been a bad trade obviously.

The Truth wouldnt have been enough to get GS out of the west and would leave in the near future making it a pointless rental

LayBraun
04-22-2013, 06:51 PM
It would have been a terrible trade for Golden State.

Blitzbolt
04-22-2013, 07:05 PM
Good call the contract and age gap is just to big.

colinskik
04-22-2013, 07:34 PM
I know its a business but the Celtics have no respect for their HOF's. This should discourage players from going there in the future

Same goes for most Boston franchises, which gives me a legitimate reason for hating their squads.

BKLYNpigeon
04-22-2013, 07:45 PM
The trade for Barnes and Pierce would have included one of Golden States bad contracts, most likely Andris Beidrins. The Salaries have to match up after all.

Its an interesting trade and I could see why the Warriors would do it. they have a losing tradition and the New owners wanted to make a splash and get into the playoffs. All of this talk was coming during and after the draft, no one knew how good Barnes was and no one was Expecting the Warriors to finish 6th in the West. of course it looks like a bad trade now, and glad it didnt go down.

The Warriors are going to be great in 2 years after they get rid of Biedrins and Richard Jefferson's bad contracts, roughly 20 million.

topdog
04-22-2013, 11:21 PM
Imagine if Boston had been able to swing Pierce for Barnes and KG for Bledsoe/Jordan:

Bledsoe
Bradley
Barnes
Green?
Jordan

With Rondo as potential trade bait, they'd have a nice jumpstart to a re-build.