PDA

View Full Version : Webster to make debut tomorrow

-Lavigne43-
04-20-2013, 04:50 PM
Brian MacPherson ‏@brianmacp 1m
Allen Webster will pitch Game 2 for the Red Sox tomorrow.

@IanMBrowne 1m
Webster to make mlb debut in nightcap tomorr

Don't know why

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-20-2013, 04:52 PM
Maybe Victorino's injury is a bit more serious then we thought?

-Lavigne43-
04-20-2013, 04:53 PM
Victorino has nothing to do with it. Why would he be required to start over Dempster or Doubront, unless one of those two is injured.

AI
04-20-2013, 04:59 PM
This came out of nowhere. Pumped though.

Melo15
04-20-2013, 05:02 PM
So pumped for this.

-Lavigne43-
04-20-2013, 05:08 PM
ESPN better not black it out

-Lavigne43-
04-20-2013, 05:39 PM
BOSTON -- Allen Webster will make his major-league debut for the Red Sox on Sunday night.
Felix Doubront had been slated to start Sunday's game prior to Friday's postponement. The rotation has been pushed back, though, with Ryan Dempster starting in the afternoon and Webster at night.
Why wouldn't Boston just start Doubront in the night game? If the Red Sox had stayed on their regular rotation, they would have needed a starter on Wednesday night (or have to pitch Buchholz on short rest). Rather than call Webster up then (and send someone down accordingly), they will take advantage of the 26th-man loophole for doubleheaders. Webster can be called up Sunday without a corresponding move, and then be sent down after he pitches.
Manager John Farrell said there is nothing wrong physically with Doubront, who had his turn skipped in the rotation last time through because of a rainout. He will start Monday against the Athletics.
Webster has allowed one earned run in his two starts for Pawtucket this season. He last pitched on Monday night. The right-hander, of course, had an electric spring training, where he posted a 1.64 ERA in 11 innings.

http://blogs.providencejournal.com/sports/red-sox/2013/04/webster-to-make-debut-sunday.html

Dumb of me, don't know why I didn't think of that. Also, since when do they have a 26 man roster for doubleheaders?

Melo15
04-20-2013, 05:40 PM
I have no idea. I was confused by that as well. Must have just started this year.

Crucis
04-20-2013, 05:42 PM
http://blogs.providencejournal.com/sports/red-sox/2013/04/webster-to-make-debut-sunday.html

Dumb of me, don't know why I didn't think of that. Also, since when do they have a 26 man roster for doubleheaders?

I think that it may have been a new rule from this past off-season. I seem to recall some talk about the idea, but don't recall it being officially announced as a new rule.

Celtic AL
04-20-2013, 07:48 PM
i would think Steven Wright would be sent down for Webster?

AI
04-20-2013, 07:59 PM
i would think Steven Wright would be sent down for Webster?

Read what Lav posted, no move has to be made.

Crucis
04-20-2013, 08:18 PM
Maybe the reason that Webster's getting this start is that the Sox have wanted to see what he's got, and with tomorrow's doubleheader and this new extra roster spot for DH-ers, this gives the Sox the opportunity to call up Webster to make the start without having to mess with the core 25 man roster. In short, the doubleheader is a freebie chance to give the kid a chance without requiring any roster moves, since he's already on the 40 man roster.

So, here's hoping that Webster does well tomorrow.

AI
04-20-2013, 08:33 PM
Maybe the reason that Webster's getting this start is that the Sox have wanted to see what he's got, and with tomorrow's doubleheader and this new extra roster spot for DH-ers, this gives the Sox the opportunity to call up Webster to make the start without having to mess with the core 25 man roster. In short, the doubleheader is a freebie chance to give the kid a chance without requiring any roster moves, since he's already on the 40 man roster.

So, here's hoping that Webster does well tomorrow.

Read what Lav posted. It explains why he was called up. Rather than pitch Clay on short-rest, they took advantage of the 26 man roster and kept everybody on their normal turn (I believe Douby gets 1 day extra rest).

SirHizz
04-20-2013, 08:38 PM
So the 26th man DH-stuff means that we don't waste an option on Webster since he technically doesn't need to be called-up/down, right?
Does it start his service-time clock?

I am curious to see what he's got, I expect him to struggle a bit, because he won't get away vs. ML-hitters with his shaky control.
By the way, the Sox are indeed aggressive with their top specs...first JBj and now Webster. Wouldn't surprise me to see Rubby and even Brentz at some point during the season.

AI
04-20-2013, 08:53 PM
They are not aggressive at all. In fact, they are really passive when it comes to promotions.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-20-2013, 08:57 PM
Victorino has nothing to do with it. Why would he be required to start over Dempster or Doubront, unless one of those two is injured.

Was just throwing stuff out there because I honestly did not know what else it could be.

ESPN better not black it out

Already saw that they've allowed NESN to show it.

-Lavigne43-
04-20-2013, 09:00 PM
Compared to other teams they are not passive, they are more aggressive than most teams. The only time I really consider them passive is with college pitchers starting their first season in Greenville

Webster has great stuff and his control has been good after making some mechanical adjustments in the beginning of spring training. I could see him having a dominate debut pitching against a team that has never seen him before. Realistically I'd expect a Felix Doubront like start.

-Lavigne43-
04-20-2013, 09:02 PM
Was just throwing stuff out there because I honestly did not know what else it could be.

Already saw that they've allowed NESN to show it.

Good. MLBtv might be blacked out for you guys who don't get NESN though :(

LASportsFan1996
04-21-2013, 02:52 AM
Interesting. Wish we coulda kept this kid

Wish him all the best of luck in his career

bagwell368
04-22-2013, 07:53 AM
Solid. This kid screams top shelf back end SP, or solid #3.

BGeer091
04-22-2013, 08:40 AM
He looked really good out there. Boston did the smart thing by pairing him up with Ross and not salty. I like how quick he worked. I really like the way he bounced back from the first two batters. It didn't seem to faze him at all. The poise really sticks out. Not even the 2 HR's fazed him either. I would have loved to seen him go out for one more inning. He attacks hitters, while keeping the ball down. He changed speeds well. Great looking breaking balls. He has the makings to me of a front line starter. I was looking forward to his debut for awhile now.

RedSoxtober
04-22-2013, 08:51 AM

Because using a regular starter means someone goes on short rest the next time through the rotation.

RedSoxtober
04-22-2013, 08:55 AM

Added during the Winter meetings this year... and for precisely this reason. Not that it will be necessary but I believe he's also not subject to the 10-day recall rule after he returns to PAW.

JackB
04-22-2013, 10:00 AM
Is Webster going back or will they wait to see if Lackey is ready and maybe give Webster one more start?

JackB
04-22-2013, 10:19 AM
Nevermind. I just found out he was sent back. Looks very promising.

Station 13
04-22-2013, 11:32 AM
nice debut kid.

AI
04-22-2013, 02:45 PM
Would've won his debut too if it wasn't for Ciriaco's first inning error and Uehara giving up the Butler bomb in the 8th.

RedSoxtober
04-23-2013, 09:23 AM
Would've won his debut too if it wasn't for Ciriaco's first inning error and Uehara giving up the Butler bomb in the 8th.

Couldn't you say the same thing about the two bombs that he gave up in the 5th, throwing belt high dead over the center of the plate? There were a few mistakes made, some by him and some by others. It's been a popular observation but still a bit arbitrary to pick on the ones made by others.

AI
04-23-2013, 03:41 PM
Well, he did make mistakes but his only cost us 2 runs.

If Ciriaco makes the routine play he still gets the win.