PDA

View Full Version : Did the flopping rule make a huge difference this past regular season?

sunsfan88
04-20-2013, 04:06 AM
I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this. I know the flopping obviously toned down at least a bit this year but do you think the new flopping rules (warning then fines) actually made a huge difference or even decreased flopping by an enormous margin compared to previous years?

Aust
04-20-2013, 04:17 AM
I've heard a lot of people complaining that it hasn't done much.

John Walls Era
04-20-2013, 04:31 AM
There was Reggie Evans and... and yeah thats the only name I remember. No big names.

JEDean89
04-20-2013, 04:56 AM
They can't do anything about the close flops but for the most part, apart from some of the players who get special treatment, it wasn't as bad as last year. The league acknowledging that it was a problem did as much to fix it as the fines did.

Guppyfighter
04-20-2013, 05:13 AM
There was Reggie Evans and... and yeah thats the only name I remember. No big names.

Except that Chris Paul guy. He's pretty good at basketball.

jimm120
04-20-2013, 06:38 AM
Except that Chris Paul guy. He's pretty good at basketball.

Paul and Blake got called out?

Anyway, the rule worked somewhat. People that don't flop, like Melo, didn't even attempt to flop (last year, there were like 5 times he tried to...tried...). This year he never attempted a flop. And as for the constant flippers (cp3, Blake, wade), it's reduced it from a constant thing to a 2 per game thing.

Still wasn't called enough, though....some pretty obvious ones

JasonJohnHorn
04-20-2013, 08:46 AM
I think we will see in the playoffs. I think guys flow more in the playoffs, or maybe I just notice it more because I watch more games? I dunno...

ManRam
04-20-2013, 10:21 AM
Hard to be certain, but it feels like we saw a little less of it than normal.

koberulesall
04-20-2013, 10:30 AM
not like it should have lebron flops everytime hes on the court i dont think he got fined once but whats new? the refs have been looking the other way his whole career

koberulesall
04-20-2013, 10:32 AM

Anyway, the rule worked somewhat. People that don't flop, like Melo, didn't even attempt to flop (last year, there were like 5 times he tried to...tried...). This year he never attempted a flop. And as for the constant flippers (cp3, Blake, wade), it's reduced it from a constant thing to a 2 per game thing.

Still wasn't called enough, though....some pretty obvious ones

i agree with this

koberulesall
04-20-2013, 10:33 AM
also wish they made this rule in a fuller effect while shaq was on the lakers he would have got 6 rings

Chronz
04-20-2013, 11:37 AM
Yup, if you followed the Clippers its like a night and day thing. The only major flops I can remember was Chauncey's (to win the game) and CP3's (to mock Cousins). Im sure there were other plays that could be considered something of a flop, but not as blatant as it was last year.

Chronz
04-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Yes.

kdspurman
04-20-2013, 01:08 PM
I think we saw less. I think they missed a lot of them as well, and pick and choose who they called out on it, but it seemed like flopping as a whole decreased.

blahblahyoutoo
04-20-2013, 02:51 PM
not like it should have lebron flops everytime hes on the court i dont think he got fined once but whats new? the refs have been looking the other way his whole career

oh please. he flopped a few times last year, but this year he's been clean.

Lord Leoshes
04-20-2013, 02:54 PM
It was the same crap as these last few years. No difference.

Kashmir13579
04-20-2013, 03:04 PM
I think it made a difference.

Clippersfan86
04-20-2013, 03:58 PM
Yup.. every team seemed to tone it down quite a bit. For the Clippers.. maybe a handful of flops all year where as the year before it was like 50. Anybody saying otherwise is just *****ing because they failed to understand what a flop is and run with their own definition. The NBA already defined flops with a lengthy video and selling a foul for example is NOT a flop in their eyes (or mine). Flops are specifically theatrics to draw a call that you shouldn't be getting. For example zero contact and falling down.. or barely getting nudged and flipping 3 times (CP3 Tornado spin) like you got shot.

sunsfan88
04-24-2013, 02:11 AM
Yup.. every team seemed to tone it down quite a bit. For the Clippers.. maybe a handful of flops all year where as the year before it was like 50. Anybody saying otherwise is just *****ing because they failed to understand what a flop is and run with their own definition. The NBA already defined flops with a lengthy video and selling a foul for example is NOT a flop in their eyes (or mine). Flops are specifically theatrics to draw a call that you shouldn't be getting. For example zero contact and falling down.. or barely getting nudged and flipping 3 times (CP3 Tornado spin) like you got shot.
Is the video available for fans to see?

og knick
04-24-2013, 11:24 AM
Don't know cause I only watch the Knicks and they're all men..
We'll see when we play miami in the ecf ..

Max.This
04-24-2013, 11:34 AM
oh please. he flopped a few times last year, but this year he's been clean.

Few times? Sir, thats an absurd statement

MrfadeawayJB
04-24-2013, 12:12 PM
Is the video available for fans to see?

yes it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I65Lqjh4fo

xRipCity
04-24-2013, 01:18 PM
The blatant flopping seems to be gone. But this era of basketball is sad. Watch an entire NBA game. Players know EXACTLY how to make it appear they have been fouled on the most simple of bumps from a defender. LeBron, Harden, CP3 are the first names that come to mind

ewing
04-24-2013, 01:27 PM
yes

Patriot Pride
04-24-2013, 03:00 PM
Watch the flops from last nights game:

http://redsarmy.com/2013/04/24/flip-flopping-crazy-doc-is-in-a-foul-mood-about-game-2-officiating/

video at the bottom was about to punch my tv last night

NBA refs suck and players still flop. Knicks are the worst ... JR Smith :facepalm:

Nice rule they just need to enforce it.

Clippersfan86
04-24-2013, 04:39 PM
'Blatant flops' are the only true flops. People are WAY, WAY too quick to label any and everything a flop. Somebody gets flagrantly fouled and falls down= flop around here according to most. The NBA's video pretty much shows plays in which there is no contact or very little contact and a player reacts dramatically with intent to draw a foul they wouldn't otherwise receive.

ManRam
04-24-2013, 04:44 PM
'Blatant flops' are the only true flops. People are WAY, WAY too quick to label any and everything a flop. Somebody gets flagrantly fouled and falls down= flop around here according to most. The NBA's video pretty much shows plays in which there is no contact or very little contact and a player reacts dramatically with intent to draw a foul they wouldn't otherwise receive.

embellishing has always been a part of every sport, basketball included. people who expect minor flops to be rid of, well, that's never happening.

i agree that people get too jumpy these days.

Clippersfan86
04-24-2013, 07:24 PM
embellishing has always been a part of every sport, basketball included. people who expect minor flops to be rid of, well, that's never happening.

i agree that people get too jumpy these days.

For sure. I'm grateful for the rule change because it's stopped the Oscar award winning flops but like you said there will always be SOME embellishment.

hornetsfansydne
04-24-2013, 08:17 PM
Watch the flops from last nights game:

http://redsarmy.com/2013/04/24/flip-flopping-crazy-doc-is-in-a-foul-mood-about-game-2-officiating/

video at the bottom was about to punch my tv last night

NBA refs suck and players still flop. Knicks are the worst ... JR Smith :facepalm:

Nice rule they just need to enforce it.

Don't blame the officials. All of those fouls looked like good calls in real time. It is only the benefit of slo-mo that allows us to see what actually happened. None of the flops were over the top, just exaggerating the contact to ensure the referees saw it which is what the players are taught to do So how about you blame the coaches and not the officials for flopping. Hell even I have been taught to flop and I am not a good player at all

Patriot Pride
04-24-2013, 08:47 PM
Don't blame the officials. All of those fouls looked like good calls in real time. It is only the benefit of slo-mo that allows us to see what actually happened. None of the flops were over the top, just exaggerating the contact to ensure the referees saw it which is what the players are taught to do So how about you blame the coaches and not the officials for flopping. Hell even I have been taught to flop and I am not a good player at all

:laugh:

Exaggerating what contact?

Shkelqim
04-24-2013, 09:20 PM
Coaches teach us how to over react if the referee has a bad angle. Trust me we take fake charges in practice everyday. Its just part of the game i guess

hornetsfansydne
04-24-2013, 09:50 PM
:laugh:

Exaggerating what contact?

Again in real time they all looked like fouls to me. Again remember we have a different view of the play to the refs so it would have surely looked like contact especially on the first one with Bradley. We have slo-mo, referees do not

NoahH
04-24-2013, 10:24 PM
Seems like there as less. I remember ALOT of blatant flops last year where I was scratching my head thinking WTF was that.

This year there's been like 3 or 4 notable incidents?