PDA

View Full Version : Sheed: HOF?

JasonJohnHorn
04-19-2013, 10:18 PM
Well... Sheed has retired for the second time. I believe there will not be a third tour of duty for him, so now the question is: Is he HOF worthy?

Career resume:

1 Championship ring
4 All-Star appearances
Surprisingly no All-NBA team or All-Defensive team appearances :-(
Career averages: 14.4 points a game, 6.7 rebounds
Career bests: 19.3 points a game, 8.2 rebounds a game

I gotta say, when I first thought about it, I thought yes, but then looking at his numbers, I'm not sure... he seemed to actually get worse as he progressed... or at least he started jacking up a lot more 3's. Still... he was a great defender.

Thoughts?

Kashmir13579
04-19-2013, 10:42 PM
Tough call. I'll reserve my judgement until i see some arguments from both sides. I'm torn but leaning towards yes.

b@llhog24
04-19-2013, 10:48 PM
If Tmac gets doubted as being a HOF, I doubt Sheed gets in.

beasted86
04-19-2013, 10:51 PM
No.

Didn't have a significant career IMO. If you let Sheed in you have to let guys like Bill Laimbeer, Shawn Kemp, etc... Sheed just was never elite.

RipCity32
04-19-2013, 10:53 PM
I don't think hes a hall of famer but Hes definitely one of my favorite all time players.

b@llhog24
04-19-2013, 10:58 PM
If only technicals were part of HOF criteria. :pity:

ball4reel
04-19-2013, 11:02 PM
ball dont lie!!!!

VendettaRed07
04-19-2013, 11:17 PM
There should be a section of the Hall of fame for best quotes which sheed should be in

The_Jamal
04-19-2013, 11:36 PM
Classic example of Hall of very good

Patrick Ewing33
04-19-2013, 11:39 PM
Very solid career, well liked and well deserved. But sadly no.

NYKNYGNYY
04-19-2013, 11:41 PM
Nope love the dude tho

DreamShaker
04-19-2013, 11:42 PM
There are better players not in the Hall. Maybe if he becomes a college coach. They all get in.

DreamShaker
04-19-2013, 11:44 PM
No.

Didn't have a significant career IMO. If you let Sheed in you have to let guys like Bill Laimbeer, Shawn Kemp, etc... Sheed just was never elite.

Man. If only Kemp would have stayed dedicated...so many 90s guys I grew up on that shoulda been...

JasonJohnHorn
04-20-2013, 12:30 AM
I will admit my Detroit bias first. As a Detroit fan, I may b biased here. That said:

I'm torn on the matter. There are better guys that aren't in the HOF, and there are guys Sheed is better than that are in the HOF. I look at a guy like Larry Nance, who is in the HOF and deserves to be, he had more impressive averages than Sheed, but Sheed has a ring and Nance doesn't and Sheed also have more All-Star appearances. Both players, as good as they were, were snubbed for All-NBA team appearances, though Nance did get 3 All-Defensive teams appearances to Sheed's zero.... though I think Sheed should have made a couple. It is more Sheed's defence that gets it for me, though Nance, I would agree, is an even better defender.

I would like to see him get in, and I voted yes, but I expect I am in the minority and I wouldn't argue against somebody who didn't think he should get in. If he does get in, I'll be happy for him, if he doesn't, I won't be surprised or upset. But he is a heck of a player, a great defender and a very interesting character.

ThaDubs
04-20-2013, 12:38 AM
Great player but not HOF caliber.

ManningToTyree
04-20-2013, 12:57 AM
Not quite

Bravo95
04-20-2013, 03:53 AM
Don't care if he actually deserves it, I just want to see/hear his speech.

hugepatsfan
04-20-2013, 06:57 AM
The NBA HOF is kind of a joke with how many people they let in so why not? Sheed was never one of the top 5 players in the NBA far as I can remember. I don't see any justification for him being in, but the NBA isn't picky. Plus his speech would be good ratings.

Raidaz4Life
04-20-2013, 07:04 AM
No way

c.c.
04-20-2013, 07:12 AM
Lol this is a joke right?

JamesBond
04-20-2013, 07:24 AM
No. Wallace was more well known for his antics than his performances. The player was a willing defender and complainer but is no HOFer. Besides his claim to fame is playing Bumbles in Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer more so than basketball.

MonroeFAN
04-20-2013, 07:33 AM
If you a Piston fan, he's easily one of your favorite players of all time.

But HOF, no, not for Sheed. Ben should go, not Sheed.

MonroeFAN
04-20-2013, 07:34 AM
No. Wallace was more well known for his antics than his performances. The player was a willing defender and complainer but is no HOFer. Besides his claim to fame is playing Bumbles in Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer more so than basketball.

He was easily one of the best post players in the league on both sides of the ball the entire time he was in it. What are you talking about? No HOF, but he was a damn good basketball player.

LAcowBOMBER
04-20-2013, 08:00 AM
The NBA HOF is kind of a joke with how many people they let in so why not? Sheed was never one of the top 5 players in the NBA far as I can remember. I don't see any justification for him being in, but the NBA isn't picky. Plus his speech would be good ratings.

For the millionth time in threads just like these, the NBA does not have a hall of fame. There is a basketball Hall of Fame that doesn't have absurdly high standards, but a lot of the less deserving players get in for what they did in college or what they did after they were done playing

That being said, I don't think he deserves to be in. I would have thought he had better numbers

bagwell368
04-20-2013, 08:03 AM
No, and it's not particularly close.

Sly Guy
04-20-2013, 08:11 AM

my thoughts exactly

BULLSFAN0810
04-20-2013, 08:41 AM
Well... Sheed has retired for the second time. I believe there will not be a third tour of duty for him, so now the question is: Is he HOF worthy?

Career resume:

1 Championship ring
4 All-Star appearances

I gotta say, when I first thought about it, I thought yes, but then looking at his numbers, I'm not sure... he seemed to actually get worse as he progressed... or at least he started jacking up a lot more 3's. Still... he was a great defender.

Thoughts?

he was as good as duncan.maybe better.better in post.had unstoppable turnaround.3pt range.led nba in blocks.temper was his issue .nvr got props deserved.stats suffered due to being unselfish and playing nxt to ben wallace.in this case numbers lie.key piece to thechampionship when they upset LA

cubs1st
04-20-2013, 09:44 AM

Yup I was thinking the same thing.

Tony_Starks
04-20-2013, 07:07 PM
He should but he won't. His numbers don't really tell the whole story, at one point he was neck and neck with Timmy, KG, and C Webb...

John Walls Era
04-20-2013, 07:21 PM
He had a lot of talent. Its unfortunate his career numbers aren't better. He could post up, shoot 3s and also defend. In his prime he was also jamming it on people.

NYKalltheway
04-20-2013, 07:50 PM
He should but won't.

ManRam
04-20-2013, 07:52 PM
it's much closer than most seem willing to admit, but i'm still a "no".

RLundi
04-20-2013, 07:56 PM
Hell no.

RLundi
04-20-2013, 07:57 PM

There is no such thing as NBA Hall of Fame.

Hawkeye15
04-20-2013, 08:14 PM
Nope. He had a very good career, but many will, and should, consider him to have not fulfilled his talent level, and his 4 all star games, and being part of a championship team in which he was not the best player, with pedestrian career averages, are just not enough. No all NBA/Defense teams also hurts him badly.

If he wasn't such an idiot, he could have been competing with Duncan/KG/Dirk, etc, for top PF. But instead he settled for being Sheed.

Hawkeye15
04-20-2013, 08:15 PM
He should but he won't. His numbers don't really tell the whole story, at one point he was neck and neck with Timmy, KG, and C Webb...

He was never neck and neck with them. Ever.

DreamShaker
04-20-2013, 08:51 PM
I will admit my Detroit bias first. As a Detroit fan, I may b biased here. That said:

I'm torn on the matter. There are better guys that aren't in the HOF, and there are guys Sheed is better than that are in the HOF. I look at a guy like Larry Nance, who is in the HOF and deserves to be, he had more impressive averages than Sheed, but Sheed has a ring and Nance doesn't and Sheed also have more All-Star appearances. Both players, as good as they were, were snubbed for All-NBA team appearances, though Nance did get 3 All-Defensive teams appearances to Sheed's zero.... though I think Sheed should have made a couple. It is more Sheed's defence that gets it for me, though Nance, I would agree, is an even better defender.

I would like to see him get in, and I voted yes, but I expect I am in the minority and I wouldn't argue against somebody who didn't think he should get in. If he does get in, I'll be happy for him, if he doesn't, I won't be surprised or upset. But he is a heck of a player, a great defender and a very interesting character.

Larry Nance is NOT in the HOF. Just thought I would point that out.

Tony_Starks
04-20-2013, 09:26 PM
He was never neck and neck with them. Ever.

Man you're crazy, he used to give them the business on a regular basis in Portland. He could do everything they could do PLUS shoot the 3.

Sheed was a bad boy he just couldn't lay off the refs and never wanted to be the man.

Hawkeye15
04-20-2013, 09:43 PM
Man you're crazy, he used to give them the business on a regular basis in Portland. He could do everything they could do PLUS shoot the 3.

Sheed was a bad boy he just couldn't lay off the refs and never wanted to be the man.

Did you not see my post above that one? If Sheed wasn't such an underachiever, he WOULD have been with them. Unfortunately, he seemed to only get up when he played the best. The guys you compared him to showed up every night, hence why their numbers, accolades, all star appearances, and all NBA teams shat on Sheed.

krisxsong
04-20-2013, 09:44 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Tony_Starks
04-20-2013, 10:11 PM
Did you not see my post above that one? If Sheed wasn't such an
underachiever, he WOULD have been with them. Unfortunately, he seemed to only get up when he played the best. The guys you compared him to showed up every night, hence why their numbers, accolades, all star appearances, and all NBA teams shat on Sheed.

Well in fairness he should've made more all stars and definitely at least one all defense. His reputation had a lot to do with that. But he's one of the only players ever to get 100 3's and 100 blocks in the same season.

SeoulBeatz
04-20-2013, 10:22 PM
if hof balloting was based on personality alone, Sheed would be a shoo in.

as for actual playing credentials, he misses the cut, but he still had a great career nonetheless.

Hawkeye15
04-20-2013, 11:23 PM
Well in fairness he should've made more all stars and definitely at least one all defense. His reputation had a lot to do with that. But he's one of the only players ever to get 100 3's and 100 blocks in the same season.

Look at his year by year numbers. He deserved what he made. He was not a top PF, consistently. Hence, why he isn't a HOF'er to me.

JAZZNC
04-20-2013, 11:33 PM
Nope. He had a very good career, but many will, and should, consider him to have not fulfilled his talent level, and his 4 all star games, and being part of a championship team in which he was not the best player, with pedestrian career averages, are just not enough. No all NBA/Defense teams also hurts him badly.

If he wasn't such an idiot, he could have been competing with Duncan/KG/Dirk, etc, for top PF. But instead he settled for being Sheed.

This. There has never been a guy with more ability at the PF spot. Could score on anybody from anywhere and could defend almost anywhere on the court. He could have been the best ever at his position but like you said he was an idiot and never came anywhere close to realizing his potential. No to the HOF.

Jenceman
04-20-2013, 11:46 PM
Hall of Very Good.

KingPosey
04-21-2013, 12:20 AM
Lol no

LAcowBOMBER
04-21-2013, 12:24 AM
he was as good as duncan.maybe better.better in post.had unstoppable turnaround.3pt range.led nba in blocks.temper was his issue .nvr got props deserved.stats suffered due to being unselfish and playing nxt to ben wallace.in this case numbers lie.key piece to thechampionship when they upset LA

How did playing next to Ben Wallace hurt his numbers? Also the Pistons beating the Lakers was not an upset to many

LAcowBOMBER
04-21-2013, 12:32 AM
This. There has never been a guy with more ability at the PF spot. Could score on anybody from anywhere and could defend almost anywhere on the court. He could have been the best ever at his position but like you said he was an idiot and never came anywhere close to realizing his potential. No to the HOF.

I really don't think he ever could have been better than KG, Dirk, Duncan, Malone, Rodman, Webber, or Barkley. The list could be a lot longer too

Jesse2272
04-21-2013, 03:25 AM

Career resume:

1 Championship ring
4 All-Star appearances

Thoughts?

Very suprised...

Ball dont lie tho

JamesBond
04-21-2013, 04:11 AM

The NBA doesn't have a HOF. :confused:

JamesBond
04-21-2013, 04:12 AM
He was easily one of the best post players in the league on both sides of the ball the entire time he was in it. What are you talking about? No HOF, but he was a damn good basketball player.

Where do I say he wasn't?:confused:

JamesBond
04-21-2013, 04:16 AM
Hall of Very Good.

You don't have to be good to be famous.

Jesse2272
04-21-2013, 04:19 AM
You don't have to be good to be famous.
great post

Bravo95
04-21-2013, 05:52 AM
The talent was there to be one of the greats, but other stuff will hurt him. We're gonna miss out on an epic speech though -- the only guys who can top Jordan (depending on your POV) are 'Sheed and Allen Iverson.

John Walls Era
04-21-2013, 06:14 AM
Too bad he didn't go 100% every game. I don't blame him either, its tough to have that kind of motor all the time when you're that talented. Thats what seperates the greats and the goods. If he played every game like it mattered, he would've been a beast in the regular season. Seems like only the playoffs woke him up.

The goods
04-21-2013, 06:16 AM
No I don't think so, he was good but not elite.

Bravo95
04-21-2013, 06:17 AM
Too bad he didn't go 100% every game. I don't blame him either, its tough to have that kind of motor all the time when you're that talented. Thats what seperates the greats and the goods. If he played every game like it mattered, he would've been a beast in the regular season. Seems like only the playoffs woke him up.
Seems like a good description for Lamar Odom also. Or the perception, at least.

PhillyFaninLA
04-21-2013, 08:57 AM
No shot.

He was a nice player but not special.

PhillyFaninLA
04-21-2013, 08:58 AM
Seems like a good description for Lamar Odom also. Or the perception, at least.

I think Derick Coleman could have been one of the all time greats, I'm talking top 5, Lamar maybe as well. Heartless guys with more talent than desire or brains.

GunFactor187
04-21-2013, 09:17 AM
This coming from a Pistons diehard, IF he were to get in the HOF, it'd be as a group with Billups, Rip, Prince, and Big Ben; their Championship win was by far more significant and more unique as a group than each of them winning it individually, as there weren't any superstar players on our team. So yeah, if they all went to the HOF, it'd be as a collective rather than individually.

SLY WILLIAMS
04-21-2013, 12:13 PM
I never even considered him for the HOF.

Jesse2272
04-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Hes a Knick

homer pick

put him in