PDA

View Full Version : Ortiz Expected to Return Friday

RedSoxtober
04-19-2013, 09:19 AM
“My idea [during this rehab assignment] was to put the ball in play so I could run and see how it felt,” Ortiz said Thursday of his injured right Achilles’ tendon, after Pawtucket was belted, 14-5, by Lehigh Valley. “I got the chance to taste that. It feels good.

“I think I’ll go back to the big team [Friday] and try to keep it compact. I’m old enough to know to keep it compact. But my main key was to make sure my foot was fine.”

Red Sox manager John Farrell also believes Ortiz will be back on Friday, too.

“All things are pointing to his returning tomorrow when we get off this trip,’’ Farrell said before the Sox played the Indians at Cleveland. “To have his presence in the middle of the order certainly speaks for itself for the number of years and success he’s had. We certainly look forward to seeing him in the clubhouse tomorrow.”
Boston Globe

Left unmentioned is the fact that today is day 19 for Ortiz on the DL. He loses a $4M bump in pay for 2014 if he spends 20 or more days on the DL in 2013. Apparently the Sox are willing to eat that money because his .222 performance (including 2K in 3PA yesterday) doesn't suggest that his timing is down.

bagwell368
04-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Boston Globe

Left unmentioned is the fact that today is day 19 for Ortiz on the DL. He loses a $4M bump in pay for 2014 if he spends 20 or more days on the DL in 2013. Apparently the Sox are willing to eat that money because his .222 performance (including 2K in 3PA yesterday) doesn't suggest that his timing is down.

Or they are quite sure (IMO) he's got a well better than 50/50 shot to end up back on it again.

todu82
04-20-2013, 10:32 AM
Good to see Ortiz may be in the lineup soon. He'll make this lineup which has been good already that much better.

bagwell368
04-20-2013, 01:29 PM
Oh no! He got in a crouch to catch the ceremonial first pitch.... He's done...

bagwell368
04-20-2013, 01:30 PM
Hahahahahahha

Big Papi is gonna get fined for the f bomb!