PDA

View Full Version : Line of the year!!!!!!!

JasonJohnHorn
04-18-2013, 08:12 PM
Ok... I'm sure you guys have noticed this all season. Here is the break down. Not surprisingly, LBJ had the most LOTNs with 22. Durant and Harden were in second with 10 each, then Kobe had 9, Melo had 8 and Duncan and Rondo both 7.

LBJ:22
Durant: 10
Harden: 10
Kobe: 9
Melo: 8
Duncan:7
Rondo: 7
Here are some guys who also logged a few (Wesstbrook may have had as many as Duncan to Melo... didn't count his up... Westbrook, Vuvevic, Vasquez, Z-Bo, Noah, Paul Goerge, Dwight , Lee, Horford, Wade, DMC, Gay.

I think it is safe to say that Vasquez and Vuvevic turned some heads this season and did better than many expected. Kudos to those guys. I hope both are strongly considered for MIP.

So... here's the guys who won Line of the Month. November didn't actually have a winner because I lumped in the two nights of games from October in with November and one of the October nights won out. December had a three-way tie.

So who do you think had the best line of the year? Also, share your thoughts on this experiment. If you all thought it was interesting and worth while, let me know, and I'll do a playoff edition and try to do it again next year (it is a lot of work though and I am sorry to all you fans who thought I didn't properly represent some of your guys).

Here's the guys up for Line of the Year:

Oct 31st Harden; 37 points (14/25), 12 assists, 6 rebounds, 4 steals, 1 block, 4 TO, 2 PF
Dec. 7th Noah: 30 points (12/19), 23 rebounds, 6 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks, 2 TO, 3 PF
Dec. 18th Duncan: 31 points (11/25-9/10), 18 rebounds, 6 assists, 2 steals 5 blocks, 2 TO, 3 PF
Dec. 31st Vucevic: 20 points (9/17), 29 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals, 2 blocks,, 0 YO, 4 PF
Jan 18tH Durant: 52 points (13/31- 21/21), 9 rebounds, 1 assists, 2 steals, 4 TO, 2 PF
Feb. 28th Noah: 23 points (8/12- 7/9), 21 rebounds, 1 assists, 3 steals, 11 blocks 3 TO, 1 PF
March 18th LBJ: 37 points (16/29), 7 rebounds, 12 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks, 5 TO, 3 PF
April 10th Kobe: 47 points (14/27-18/18), 8 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals, 4 blocks, 1 TO, 4 PF

Odd thing... most of these guys had these performances on the road.

LAKobeBryant
04-18-2013, 08:15 PM
Harden 46 points, 6 assist, 7 rebound, 2 steal, 1 block

Lakers + Giants
04-18-2013, 08:21 PM
I chose kobe's. 1 Turnover only in 48 minutes and it was a 2nd night of a b2b. Impressive at his age.

True Sports Fan
04-18-2013, 08:28 PM
No cousins? Has 36 - 22 - 3 last night against a starting. Clippers team

tredigs
04-18-2013, 08:31 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/gameleaders

#1: Stephen Curry: 54/7/6 + 3 stls on 18/28.

Highest rated game of the year didn't make your guys votes? I guess this kid will just have to win a ship to earn some recognition.

Swashcuff
04-18-2013, 08:32 PM

Have you been following these threads all season long?

jon32
04-18-2013, 08:34 PM
I went Duncan.......but now that I put thought into it Im not so sure I shoulda....I think I like Noahs performance better

JasonJohnHorn
04-18-2013, 08:34 PM

He lost line of the night to Pau who had a 20/20/10 game.... and Kobe got line-of-the-month for April via voting.

jon32
04-18-2013, 08:35 PM
And ya Curry shoulda prob be there for sure. hed prob get most votes haha

lamzoka
04-18-2013, 08:35 PM
I dont know where to put this but mods needs to reopen that seeding prediction from the beginning of the season lol

Swashcuff
04-18-2013, 08:39 PM
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/poll.php?pollid=48291&do=showresults

Curry lost to Noah for the month of February by 5 votes. This was PSD's doing, don't have any hangups with the OP he's done a GREAT job of keeping these threads going all season long. Kudos Jason.

JasonJohnHorn
04-18-2013, 08:40 PM

Highest rated game of the year didn't make your guys votes? I guess this kid will just have to win a ship to earn some recognition.

Noah's 20/20 triple-double with blocks beat him out for line of the month that month. It was a great game. But a 20/20 game is as rare as a 50 point game, and a 10 blocks to go with it? That doesn't happen to often. I think those who voted for Noah had just cause there. It depends on how heavily you weigh defensive stats. If you lend a lot of weight to them, then yeah.. Noah had an amazing night. He had 3 steals that night as well. Steals + blocks = 13.... doesn't happen often and to happen on the same night the same player also had a 20/20 game...

ESPN has a formula they apply. If you agree with their formula, then yeah... but some people might think defensive stats or rebounds should be given more weight, some people think turnovers and miss FGs should be given more weight, or less, and points should get less weight, or more. Everybody has a different opinion of what is important in the game. There is no one formula that every fan would agree on. If that were the case, then nobody would vote on year end awards. A computer would just calculate who the MVP is, and who the ROY is and who the DPOY is and who the 6thMOY is... likely coach would be the only thing voted on. But everybody weighs things differently.

JasonJohnHorn
04-18-2013, 08:41 PM

Curry lost to Noah for the month of February by 5 votes. This was PSD's doing, don't have any hangups with the OP he's done a GREAT job of keeping these threads going all season long. Kudos Jason.

Thanks bro... it is appreciated.... it was a lot of work. Interest seem to wane a bit toward the end of the season.... but it was fun.

JasonJohnHorn
04-18-2013, 08:44 PM
Harden 46 points, 6 assist, 7 rebound, 2 steal, 1 block

That's the odd thing about the voting... you have guys on some nights that would have gotten line of the month in another month, but don't even end up getting line of the night. Kobe knocked off a couple of AMAZING games when he went off for 47 points. Had those guys posted those numbers in November, they would have been on this list. Harden's best game didn't get on here, but another one of his games did, even though it wasn't as good. But PSDers voted it out of contention. C'est la vie.

True Sports Fan
04-18-2013, 08:46 PM

Have you been following these threads all season long? Nope. Haven't even been on PSD all that long.

ThaDubs
04-18-2013, 09:23 PM
It is absurd that you didn't include Steph's 54 game, which broke multiple NBA/team records.

NYKalltheway
04-19-2013, 05:16 AM
Went with Noah.

YoungOne
04-19-2013, 05:46 AM
cant decide :(

Swashcuff
04-19-2013, 08:07 AM
It is absurd that you didn't include Steph's 54 game, which broke multiple NBA/team records.

See what I was talking about your inability to comprehend?

mightybosstone
04-19-2013, 09:30 AM
The funny thing to me is that the three top performances of the season (according to ESPN aren't even on this list, but I actually think Lebron had several games better than that one that are more deserving for this discussion. However, the top two performances (Lebron's 40/16/8 game and Curry's 54/7/6) were clearly beaten out by Noah's 23/21/11 triple double. Even though I don't think that was the best stat line of the year, it beat out arguably the two best and it was still very impressive, so I'm going with Noah's game.

JiffyMix88
04-19-2013, 09:36 AM
Noah TD for me

ManRam
04-19-2013, 10:09 AM

Amen.

Jason did a GREAT job with this. Never missed a day. A round of applause indeed :clap:

I do think Curry's was the best, but he's not here because of PSD's vote...not Jason. So people need to chill.

Hard to pick. Harden and LeBron's best games aren't even up there (again, blame PSD, not JJH).

I think I'll go with Kobe

jerellh528
04-19-2013, 10:26 AM
Going with Kobe, for both the better numbers and because it was in a very crucial game/ late in the season when it mattered most. Just all around one of the greater games we've seen.

Lucky.
04-19-2013, 10:45 AM
Great job, Jason :clap:

If it's not too much you should definitely do it again next year.

b@llhog24
04-19-2013, 10:45 AM
Noah's Feb 28th game

b@llhog24
04-19-2013, 10:47 AM
Lol at people being mad that their fav players game is not here. Next time make a better case as to why his game should be there and maybe you'd sway a couple more people to vote for him.

2-ONE-5
04-19-2013, 10:56 AM
PAins me to pick Noahs 20-20-11 game bcuz it came vs my Sixers but that is the best line of the year. Can def make an argument for Kobe and Duncan

JasonJohnHorn
04-19-2013, 11:17 AM
This is ESPN EFF formula (as appears on the bottom of their page): PTS + REB + 1.4*AST + STL + 1.4*BLK -.7*TO + FGM + .5*FGM -.8*(FGA-FGM) + .25*FTM - .8*(FTA-FTM)

If you agree with that, then there is not reason to even have a vote on the best line of the night, or week or month or year, because you can just let a computer pick it for you. The thing is though, not everybody agrees with the weight offered to each category.

For example. One person can say: 1 rebound = 2 points. Or 1 assists = 2 points, and that person may not subtract the missed FGs from the player. Another person may say 1 board = 1 rebounds = 1 point and subtract missed FGs. Some people would say subtract miss FTs as well, others may not. As for steals and blocks, that can create a huge difference. ESPN says 1 ast = 1.4 points a steal = 1 point and 1 block = 1.4 points. 1 turnover equals -0.7 points.

I would say steals and blocks are worth no less than 2 points as the steals usually lead to 2 points via fast break basket and blocks prevent a high percentage shot usually. Turnovers? Perhaps should be as much as -2 or no less than -1 and a miss FG perhaps should be -1 instead of - 0.8. And ESPN awards points for points, and also for FG made, so they are rewarding scoring twice, which can inflate the value of scoring.

My ideal formula would look something like this: Points - MissedFG -TO + rebounds + assists, + stealsX2.5 + blocksX2.5. I think that is a great formula. But should you perhaps subtract fouls as well? Or somehow include minutes and +/-? Missed FTs? Should win and losses be included? Am I weighing steals and blocks to much? Or not enough? Am I not awarding assists enough?

The thing is that NOBODY agrees with anybody about what the formula should be and that is why I thought having a LOTN vote would be interesting.

The IBM award used to have an interesting formula that Jordan only won twice (D-Rob won five times). Check out the formula here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Award

I think the conclusion we can come away with here is that the formula ESPN uses is not one that PSD users agree with. Noah's line that beat out the top two lines according to ESPN is only ranked 30th on the season, and Noah actually has a game that ranked higher. ESPN doesn't award much for blocks or rebounds, so it seems PSD users give more weight to blocks and rebounds than ESPN does.

MrfadeawayJB
04-19-2013, 11:48 AM
Noah for me

Tony_Starks
04-19-2013, 12:15 PM
Kobe. We expect him to go off scoring wise but the 3 steals 5 blocks and only 1 TO to go with it was ridiculous. Complete game.

KnickaBocka.44
04-19-2013, 01:01 PM

They did lose the game....

ElChinoLatino
04-19-2013, 01:14 PM
Easily Noah, TDs with Pts, Reb, AND blocks are rare. The last time I remember one was with Camby when he was a Nugget.

Gators123
04-19-2013, 01:21 PM
A "worst line of the year" thread would be interesting lol

Swashcuff
04-19-2013, 01:26 PM
They did lose the game....

IMO that has absolutely nothing to do with the purpose of this thread. Its strictly based on what statline was most impressive no necessarily what was the outcome of the game.

tredigs
04-19-2013, 01:42 PM
Amen.

Jason did a GREAT job with this. Never missed a day. A round of applause indeed :clap:

I do think Curry's was the best, but he's not here because of PSD's vote...not Jason. So people need to chill.

Hard to pick. Harden and LeBron's best games aren't even up there (again, blame PSD, not JJH).

I think I'll go with Kobe

I don't think anyone's up in arms or blaming johnhorn about it. I just made an off-handed comment saying, "really, that did not make your guys' votes?". I realize it's not on him and it's irrelevant anyway. I agree - props to Jason for keeping this up. I was always annoyed that a players efficiency was never involved so I stayed out of the voting, but it's solid dedication and a fun thread none the less.

mp3
04-19-2013, 01:52 PM
Noah's 20/20 triple-double with blocks beat him out for line of the month that month. It was a great game. But a 20/20 game is as rare as a 50 point game, and a 10 blocks to go with it? That doesn't happen to often. I think those who voted for Noah had just cause there. It depends on how heavily you weigh defensive stats. If you lend a lot of weight to them, then yeah.. Noah had an amazing night. He had 3 steals that night as well. Steals + blocks = 13.... doesn't happen often and to happen on the same night the same player also had a 20/20 game...

ESPN has a formula they apply. If you agree with their formula, then yeah... but some people might think defensive stats or rebounds should be given more weight, some people think turnovers and miss FGs should be given more weight, or less, and points should get less weight, or more. Everybody has a different opinion of what is important in the game. There is no one formula that every fan would agree on. If that were the case, then nobody would vote on year end awards. A computer would just calculate who the MVP is, and who the ROY is and who the DPOY is and who the 6thMOY is... likely coach would be the only thing voted on. But everybody weighs things differently.

lol not at all. There's been plenty this season. Maybe 3 or 4 50 point games.

LakersIn5
04-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Easily Noah, TDs with Pts, Reb, AND blocks are rare. The last time I remember one was with Camby when he was a Nugget.

bynum had 1 last playoffs in game 1 vs denver. just sayin haha

KnickaBocka.44
04-19-2013, 02:02 PM
IMO that has absolutely nothing to do with the purpose of this thread. Its strictly based on what statline was most impressive no necessarily what was the outcome of the game.

If a player puts up a similar stat line in a game the team wins, do you not find that even slightly more impressive?

Meatmypet
04-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Melo's 50 with no points in the paint.

Swashcuff
04-19-2013, 02:32 PM
If a player puts up a similar stat line in a game the team wins, do you not find that even slightly more impressive?

Similar stat lines I can understand using it as the deciding factor. When its in no way similar and people are saying he doesn't deserve to be there or it isn't very impressive because his team lost that's taking away from the purpose of the thread.

Kobe2324
04-19-2013, 02:50 PM
I picked Kobe with noah at a close 2nd, not because im a Kobe fan but because I believe it was the better stat line, hes not known for rebounds or blocks so 8 boards and 4 blocks is crazy for him and 47 point also not bad lol

DR_1
04-19-2013, 02:59 PM
Oh whoops I totally did not see the Noah triple double, that gets my vote.