PDA

View Full Version : Dylan was near the Boston Marathon when things went nuts.

SLY WILLIAMS
04-15-2013, 05:58 PM
NY Rangers prospect Dylan McIlrath on Boston Marathon bombings: We didnít know what was going on

By Pat Leonard / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Monday, April 15, 2013, 5:44 PM

Rangers prospect Dylan McIlrath had planned to spend a relaxing off-day in Boston but instead spent the afternoon running from danger.

McIlrath, who plays for the Connecticut Whale of the American Hockey League in Hartford, was walking toward the Boston Marathon finish line on Monday afternoon with family friends when he realized the rest of the crowd was rushing past them the opposite way, "some people crying, in panic mode."

"I just came into Boston because we had a day off, meeting up with a few family friends, we went up for lunch, parked the car, and we were walking towards the finish line to check it out," McIlrath, 20, told the Daily News by telephone. "We were around the MIT campus, heading over the bridge, heard a couple of loud noises ó which obviously were the bombs ó and then there was a rush of people crossing the bridge. We didn't know what was going on at the time."

McIlrath said he was about 10 minutes away from the finish line when the explosions went off.

"Every conversation coming back was people who saw something or heard it or were close, so you got the experience of it without actually being there, so it was kind of eerie," he said.

He distinctly remembers the instance just between when the loud noises reverberated and the crowd began rushing past McIlrath, who along with his friends was trying to put together what was happening around him.

"We had no idea what had happened," he said. "There was a Red Sox game today, so people were all dressed up in their gear. But then you could see people crying, in panic mode, and some people piped up (to explain what had happened). We were literally the only ones against the grain."
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/rangers/eerie-scene-marathon-rangers-prospect-article-1.1317459?localLinksEnabled=false

IAmARanger18
04-15-2013, 06:00 PM
Holy shitttt

runnermjr1296
04-15-2013, 07:08 PM
I'll tell you what from what I've seen hats off to the first responders and Dr's and hospital personal in Boston. They actually do drills for this stuff(crazy) and were able to get right to what needed to be done. Obviously a horrible tragedy and I certainly don't mean to minimize the loss of life or the injuries,but it looks like it could have been so much worse.

NYSPORTS98
05-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Speaking of Dylan, anybody think he could get called up for this series with Boston? The Bruins are putting Chara in the front of the net and not sure how any defenseman can move him out.

Also, anybody concerned with McIlrath's fighting abilites? He seems off balance is practically every fight.

SLY WILLIAMS
05-15-2013, 03:29 PM
Dylan has been on the taxi squad but it would take an injury or two for him to dress.

Dylan has fought some of the AHL's best fighters in his first full AHL season and he has usually won. Some of them are grown men that could fight very well in the NHL. His balance does't concern me as much as the number of fights because I worry that he fights so many AHL goons. I do not want him hurt. He could be a real asset for us in the future. The kids is a natural leader.

NYSPORTS98
05-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Respectfully, if his balance was better it wouldn't matter how many fights he was in. At the NHL level he's going to get knocked out if he can't get his balance corrected. IMO, he looks like a guy who was always bigger than the opponent and is struggling with guys who can handle themselves. He has a haymaker but it wide open for everything else.

SLY WILLIAMS
05-15-2013, 11:14 PM
While I agree that his balance can be improved he has more than held his own in the fights I have seen him in and he is still a young kid. I have not seen him struggling in most of his fights. Some of the guys he has faced are grown men. Dylan will grow in to his body much more. It does matter to me how many fights he is in because concussions have been a plagued on NHL players. I do not want to lose him to a injury.