PDA

View Full Version : Amnesty Kobe?

theheatles
04-13-2013, 12:59 PM
Should the Lakers amnesty Kobe?

They owe Kobe in his last year of his contract $30 million next season and it's no sure thing that he plays.

I think it makes all the sense in the world to amnesty him. Best case scenario coming back from a torn achilles is 1 year and comes back in the playoffs a shell of himself. Therefore, amnesty Kobe and he still makes his $30 million and Lakers avoid lux tax. Then they go hard for Dwight and try and lure the best available free agent to play alongside Dwight.

I know it's unlikely, but it'd be interesting because Kobe would go to some random team if he happens to make it back and play by next season.

xxplayerxx23
04-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Don't think they would do it

HYFR
04-13-2013, 01:05 PM
They won't do it. IMO I don't see Kobe missing much time either. He will play next year

Hellcrooner
04-13-2013, 01:07 PM
would only be worth if he promises to come back ater the 1 year wait that amnestis require, and they are able to do other moves to clear capspace to get some good F.a THIS year.

ManRam
04-13-2013, 01:07 PM
nah. they'd save some luxury tax money and that's really all that it helps them out with.

we don't even know when he'll be back. 5-7 months is doable.

Utd7
04-13-2013, 01:11 PM
No, I think he tries to come back by Christmas.

shep33
04-13-2013, 01:21 PM
We'll see. They'll talk to him about it, no doubt

Remember if they amnesty Kobe, he can sign with the Lakers in 2014

eternal slumber
04-13-2013, 01:32 PM

but wouldn't he be asking for a steep price. i don't think he'll agree with just a MLE.

shep33
04-13-2013, 01:33 PM
but wouldn't he be asking for a steep price. i don't think he'll agree with just a MLE.

Well he still gets 30 mill next year, and I think the Lakers always knew they weren't going to give him a big deal after the end of this one.

JLynn943
04-13-2013, 01:38 PM
It makes sense financially providing he's actually missing all of next season. He'd still get the money, but it wouldn't count against the cap. Then, after missing a season, he'd have no choice but to sign a much cheaper deal somewhere (likely LA still). The only problem is that, at face value, amnestying a top 10 player all-time who has been the face of the franchise for years doesn't look good.

eternal slumber
04-13-2013, 01:41 PM
Well he still gets 30 mill next year, and I think the Lakers always knew they weren't going to give him a big deal after the end of this one.

$30 million for three years would be reasonable, same deals KG and TD got. but they shouldn't overspent for him IMO. 2014 will be a huge year for the Lakers. they'll have the largest cap space that year and have the most desirable FA class since 2010.

still1ballin
04-13-2013, 01:46 PM
No

utl768
04-13-2013, 01:54 PM
if he is out all of next season it makes sense but knowing kobe he will be playing in games by january and therefore its not gonna happen

Im_in_Mia_bish
04-13-2013, 01:58 PM
No

oh hey there Mr. I hope LeBron gets injured. Karma just ****ed you in the ***.

I feel sorry for kobe, love watching him play, but at the same time I'm happy because ******s like you deserve this.

:)

BKLYNpigeon
04-13-2013, 02:02 PM

If Kobe gets Amnestied, teams can claim him with the highest bid.

JLynn943
04-13-2013, 02:02 PM

I feel sorry for kobe, love watching him play, but at the same time I'm happy because ******s like you deserve this.

Yeah, I did think of the irony of that. You know if it was LeBron instead there would be at least some Lakers fans cheering...

Hellcrooner
04-13-2013, 02:05 PM
yeah, and pay the rest of his EXPIRING contract.

he would be a F.a in 2014 and could go back to lakers.

Im_in_Mia_bish
04-13-2013, 02:06 PM
Yeah, I did think of the irony of that. You know if it was LeBron instead there would be at least some Lakers fans cheering...

exactly. thats why i have NO sympathy towards the kobe fans that wanted lebron to be injured. still ballin is one of them and there are 2 more who obviously won't show their faces since their fav player is down.

just sad.

Im_in_Mia_bish
04-13-2013, 02:07 PM
and to answer the question, I honestly expect kobe to come back and to retire a Laker..

KobeOwnSU
04-13-2013, 02:11 PM
can't they get a injured player exception like they did with Jordon Hill??

still1ballin
04-13-2013, 02:14 PM

I don't even believe in karma.

I was just frustrated to see so many superstars in the nbA go down with injuries. Can the Heat have an easier path to the championship? It seems Lebron never gets injured especially with the way he plays.

Im_in_Mia_bish
04-13-2013, 02:18 PM
I don't even believe in karma.

I was just frustrated to see so many superstars in the nbA go down with injuries. Can the Heat have an easier path to the championship? It seems Lebron never gets injured especially with the way he plays.

no excuse to wish an injury upon a player.
look at me for instance, kobe is down, but you dont see me gloating. im just calling people like you out now, because i called you out the first time i read your comment, and told you to chill.

we are fans, so theres a limit to what we can root for, not for an injury. cmon man, youre smarter than that, dont be like a typical kobe fan.

I know some miami fans are worse or just as bad, so im not saying that miami or any other fanbase is better..

mp3
04-13-2013, 02:21 PM
Kobe will play before Derrick Rose. No need for the amnesty.

still1ballin
04-13-2013, 02:31 PM
no excuse to wish an injury upon a player.
look at me for instance, kobe is down, but you dont see me gloating. im just calling people like you out now, because i called you out the first time i read your comment, and told you to chill.

we are fans, so theres a limit to what we can root for, not for an injury. cmon man, youre smarter than that, dont be like a typical kobe fan.

I know some miami fans are worse or just as bad, so im not saying that miami or any other fanbase is better..

I never wished.

I said I hope.

You know why I act this way? Because I actually live in Miami and Miami fans here are by far the worst and they get me to a point to say things like that. They don't know what they are talking about, since they talk nonsense most of the time. You should of seen on my facebook people laughing at Kobe talking about his career is done and gloating.

As a result, it gets me to hope that they experience the same.

BKLYNpigeon
04-13-2013, 02:49 PM
The sad thing is..

we never got a chance to see Kobe and Lebron in the Finals...

kobe24.818.818
04-13-2013, 02:56 PM
The Lakers to do list

Amnesty Kobe (30.5 million off cap)
Trade Pau for a pick (twolves) (15-20 million off cap)
Use the stretch provision on Steve Nash ( so only 3.3 million counts on salary cap)
Release Duhon ( Only 1.5 million guaranteed)
Sign a young point guard (tyreke,jennings,etc.
Sign Dwight Howard or if he leaves tank hard for a top 5 pick and get ready for 2014 nba free agency.

Cromedome
04-13-2013, 02:58 PM
They should do it...but I doubt it happens. I can't believe Kobe is done.

kobe24.818.818
04-13-2013, 03:03 PM
They should do it...but I doubt it happens. I can't believe Kobe is done.

I think Kobe comes back to play 1 more year with the Lakers in the 2014-2015 season.
He has to pass Jordan atleast in points.

b@llhog24
04-13-2013, 03:07 PM
It makes sense financially providing he's actually missing all of next season. He'd still get the money, but it wouldn't count against the cap. Then, after missing a season, he'd have no choice but to sign a much cheaper deal somewhere (likely LA still). The only problem is that, at face value, amnestying a top 10 player all-time who has been the face of the franchise for years doesn't look good.

Yep

Cromedome
04-13-2013, 03:07 PM
I think Kobe comes back to play 1 more year with the Lakersin the 2014-2015 season.
He has to pass Jordan atleast in points.

He was the closet thing we've had to Jordan in the last 10 years so this is a sad day indeed.

Lebron is no Jordan.

ManRam
04-13-2013, 03:12 PM
I never wished.

I said I hope.

"wish" and "hope" are the same damn thing. actually, "hope" is probably worse, because it's assuming that is possible to attain. "wish" implies whatever you are desiring is unattainable.

Hawkeye15
04-13-2013, 03:21 PM
financially, it makes total sense. But that would be a tough decision for the Lakers to make. His earliest timeline, if its a tear, is 7 months from now, and to get back to 100%, easily a year, if ever. They could just amnesty him, and then re-sign him in 2014. He won't command a ton of money at that point anyways, unless he defies science and returns to being Kobe at age 35/36 after an achilles tear.

corneilius21
04-13-2013, 03:34 PM
If the Lakers amnesty Kobe will they still own his bird rights? If not and they are still over the cap in 2014 they will not simply be able to just re-sign him.

corneilius21
04-13-2013, 03:37 PM
Nonetheless even as a true Laker hater to heart, it was tough to see Kobe go down with such a serious injury. Achilles, if torn, is not an injury that you simply come back from. As mentioned early if surgery is required recovery could be up to a year in reality. A lot of recovery time is spent in a boot off that leg, so in some ways more than just work ethic and desire comes into play.

Hellcrooner
04-13-2013, 03:42 PM
If the Lakers amnesty Kobe will they still own his bird rights? If not and they are still over the cap in 2014 they will not simply be able to just re-sign him.

lakers in 2014 will only have Howard ( if he resigns) and nash on the books.

so thye have like 30 million in capspace to sign F.a

PrettyBoyJ
04-13-2013, 03:47 PM
they would never do that.. From a business stand point they make way more than 30 million off of Kobe. Kobe feels those seats

corneilius21
04-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Good call...with Pau, Metta, and Nash all off the books after next season they should be under the cap.

Dade County
04-13-2013, 03:50 PM
He's going to retire or get amnesty.

Howard walks away from L.A and into a better situation ( I hope no one hates on him for that ).

Edit**

And please don't tell me that people are still saying that Howard should waste another year off of his career, to see if the Lakers can make big moves in 2014; why would he do that (only thing I can think of is the extra 30mil)? But he owes noting to L.A.

xxplayerxx23
04-13-2013, 03:55 PM
He's going to retire or get amnesty.

Howard walks away from L.A and into a better situation ( I hope no one hates on him for that ).

Edit**

And please don't tell me that people are still saying that Howard should waste another year off of his career, to see if the Lakers can make big moves in 2014; why would he do that (only thing I can think of is the extra 30mil)? But he owes noting to L.A.

Oh Dwight to Miami MLE?

Dade County
04-13-2013, 03:59 PM
Oh Dwight to Miami MLE?

:laugh2:

NoahH
04-13-2013, 04:06 PM
Torn Achilles recovery time is 6-12 months. Knowing Kobe, he'll be back earlier rather than later. I'm aware Isiah Thomas' career ended with a torn achilles and (probably) Billups as well, but we all know Kobe plays through pain. 6 months puts him at October 13, which is obviously a bit too quick. But I could definitely see him making a December 25 debut putting him at 8.5 months recovery. Maybe playing with a minutes cap for the first two months and back at full strength by ASG.

lakerboy
04-13-2013, 04:13 PM
Kobe will be back on the court by the start of the season in November.

Lakers will figure this out before the amnesty deadline in July.

shep33
04-13-2013, 04:17 PM

Yeah, but will teams even want him for a couple months of the season, knowing that he'd go back to LA soon after?

If it's 9 months that puts him out until what Jan or Feb?

Hellcrooner
04-13-2013, 04:18 PM
Oh Dwight to Miami MLE?

lol.

But Pau to Miami Mle in 2014 is definetly possible

shep33
04-13-2013, 04:21 PM
We'll see what happens. I think the two parties will discuss it.

Dude should honestly not rush this type of injury. Take the year and get back to 100%. Not 60-70% and risk hurting yourself again. 2014 come back, play 3 more years with a roster that actually gives him some support on the perimeter... Best backup Kobe has ever had was Shannon Brown for like a year and a half

Hellcrooner
04-13-2013, 04:24 PM

Dude should honestly not rush this type of injury. Take the year and get back to 100%. Not 60-70% and risk hurting yourself again. 2014 come back, play 3 more years with a roster that actually gives him some support on the perimeter... Best backup Kobe has ever had was Shannon Brown for like a year and a half

Jr Rider.

Pity he was a mess up of a person.

beasted86
04-13-2013, 05:48 PM
If Dwight walks, it makes a lot of sense to amnesty Kobe and trade Gasol and whatever other assets are left for a rebuild.

Purple_n_Gold
04-13-2013, 06:44 PM
You have to take those fans with a grain of salt. There are moron fans of every team. No one should ever cheer for another play to get hurt. It's low class scumbag ****. There are plenty of low life's on here happy about his injury which should never happen. If Lebron got hurt like this I know myself and true Laker fans would never go out and celebrate about it.

Purple_n_Gold
04-13-2013, 06:48 PM
Nonetheless even as a true Laker hater to heart, it was tough to see Kobe go down with such a serious injury. Achilles, if torn, is not an injury that you simply come back from. As mentioned early if surgery is required recovery could be up to a year in reality. A.
Which is why he should have a leg up on his recovery over any other player. His work ethic and determination is unrivaled. It's funny that fans of other teams raise these questions about amnestying him. I guarantee that's what many of you would like. It ain't happening. I don't see him being back any later than December at 100%

Aust
04-13-2013, 06:58 PM
He was the closet thing we've had to Jordan in the last 10 years so this is a sad day indeed.

Lebron is no Jordan.

No, he's Magic

3RDASYSTEM
04-13-2013, 07:29 PM

So BROWN was better than a young sniper and defender combo of FISHER and a old but still effective HOF'er In PAYTON teaming up with KOBE? and KOBE also started out playing with JONES/EXEL, all 4 are better individual players than BROWN, BROWN got'em all beat in athletic ability,jumping

Faneik
04-13-2013, 09:08 PM
No, he's Magic

Never liked that comparison.

Lebron is a bruiser, freak strength and athleticism.

Magic wasn't know for those kind of attributes.

DumDum
04-13-2013, 09:15 PM
yes

TheLegend
04-13-2013, 09:41 PM
Double

TheLegend
04-13-2013, 09:43 PM
Amnesty a player that was very key to help winning 5 rings for your franchise and perhaps arguably the greatest Laker ever......Yeah, this is why kids stay on chat forums and the ppl making the decisions never pay attention to this kind of Internet garbage.

DumDum
04-13-2013, 09:47 PM
2 rings he was second chair when shaq was their. Phil Jackson was coaching for all Of time

TheLegend
04-13-2013, 09:53 PM
If the clause was in the contract, The Bulls wouldn't ever amnesty Jordan. Boston wouldn't amnesty Bird. You don't do that to players like that. 5 rings, franchise player, all time great. Where's the common sense?

tredigs
04-13-2013, 10:07 PM
The Lakers next season will be paying more in taxes than any other teams actual salary. Amnestying Kobe would save them approximately ~60 million next year in taxes. But I doubt they do it.

If the clause was in the contract, The Bulls wouldn't ever amnesty Jordan. Boston wouldn't amnesty Bird. You don't do that to players like that. 5 rings, franchise player, all time great. Where's the common sense?

Common sense is 60 million in taxes and the teams future. Business is cutthroat. Jordan retired as a Finals MVP - different scenario.

onlythisfar41
04-13-2013, 10:15 PM
No way they should amnesty him. I really dont know why people are reacting to this injury like he's never going to be able to come back. The timetable for his return was already set at 6-9 months so even if he goes to the long end of it, hes still back by January. That leaves him playing for half the season and hell be in the swing of things well before the playoffs start.

Hes going to be fine, this injury is not the end of the world, I have no idea why Laker fans are so out of it with their perception of this injury.

theheatles
04-14-2013, 12:37 AM
Amnesty a player that was very key to help winning 5 rings for your franchise and perhaps arguably the greatest Laker ever......Yeah, this is why kids stay on chat forums and the ppl making the decisions never pay attention to this kind of Internet garbage.

lol Yeah, you're right the front office personnel makes decisions based on emotion and loyalty instead of making prudent financial decisions for the business they are running. These kids on the internet are so foolish thinking that saving the franchise potentially $60 million luxury tax bill would be a way that the front office would go about their business.

lol, please
04-14-2013, 01:41 AM
It would make sense.

Lakers + Giants
04-14-2013, 03:42 AM
Easier? Kobe was never a threat to begin with. They are struggling to make it to the post-season and LeBron is sitting on a comfortable chair with the best record. Try harder. How pathetic is that when you kobe fans prayed for LeBron to get injured? See how that works now?

You act like every laker fan did it. It's also pretty damn hypocritical to be rubbing it in lakers fans faces as if we all wished injury upon lebron. "See how that works now?" In other words, you're taunting us with this statement, beating a dead horse.

It's just pathetic how you talk so much **** on kobephiles when you yourself start so much in the first place. Every single one of your posts involves the lakers one way or another. Talk about being obsessed.

You don't contribute **** to these forums, all you do is ***** about kobephiles all the time but then try to bait them as well. That's obviously gonna shut them up right? :rolleyes:

heyman321
04-14-2013, 03:54 AM
They should definitely. 30 million to not play and screwing them on the cap would be funny though.

hidalgo
04-14-2013, 05:43 AM
if the Lakers amnesty Kobe for the 2013-14 season, would that mean he couldn't play anywhere in the nba that year?

or would they have to pay him more than 30 mill?

DODGERS&LAKERS
04-14-2013, 05:48 AM
Lets see...
Starters
Dwight Howard- Off back surgery, tears labrum in right shoulder
Pau Gasol- Tears plantar fascia in right foot
Metta Peace- Torn lateral meniscus in his left knee
Kobe Bryany- Ruptured Achilles
Steve Nash- Broken leg, pulled hamstring

Bench
Steve Blake- Abdominal tear
Jordan Hill- Torn labrum in left hip

Coach
Mike D'Antoni- Knee surgery and mental retardation

Owner
Jerry Buss Dies

All that and they still have a chance for the 6th spot and are 5 games above 500 in the west. Even when things go terrible they are still doing great!!! I love the Lakers

Hellcrooner
04-14-2013, 06:53 AM
if the Lakers amnesty Kobe for the 2013-14 season, would that mean he couldn't play anywhere in the nba that year?

or would they have to pay him more than 30 mill?

he would not be able to sign for the lakers for 365 days.
Wich means, no problem since he is missing the season anyway.

and bout the money.
Yes
If no one claims him ( probable since he is injured) lakers still pay his 30 million salary.

BUT, here is the catch.
Lakers are on superluxury tax.
if they amnesty him they are not.

SO , esentially, with kobe on the roster they will be paying him 60 millions for not playing.
if they amnesty him, they would pay only 30 million ( or maybe less).

So?
From a finantial point of view is definetly something to be looked upon, no matter how rich the buss family are, 30+ million bucks its quite some royal de luxes and mcnuggets.

Jesse2272
04-14-2013, 07:15 AM
Man

I do not want to see Kobe go out like this

GrumpyOldMan
04-14-2013, 07:19 AM
The only way I can see them doing this is if Kobe agrees to being amnestied. I don't think they want to show disrespect to Kobe after everything he's been through with that team. He may want to stay around the team. He can be helpful still even when not in the lineup. Hell, replace D'Antoni with Bryant for half a season. :)
I would worry if I were the Lakers that if Kobe feels slighted by an amnesty that he might take a MLE to sign with the Clippers in 2014 and outdraw the Lakers in the same building.
That scenario would cost the Lakers a lot more than the $30 million that they would save with the amnesty. Just a thought.

ldawg
04-14-2013, 08:09 AM
I know Kobe want to play today but he cant, I know Kobe want to come back and play in December of next season but whats the point if he is only going to be about 60%. Kobe and Lakers need to come to an agreement and hit this career altering injury with real talk. Kobe wont be right until a full year. Anything earlier will just be Kobe trying to prove everyone wrong. Lakers need to save Kobe from himself Like Dantoni failed to do. Kobe makes alot of $ and it will hurt the Lakers paying him that much and not be able to play to that level. Lakers had a hard time filling out this roster and will face a stiffer tax next season. If they do not Cut him he will return to a loto team only to come back trying to push them into the playoffs again. Its time to mold a team around Howard. Kobe should not be relied on from here on out he will be a 25-30 min a game player with limited hops and speed. Howard will not sit on the Lakers to wait on a older injured Kobe in hopes of winning a ring with him. At this point anything else Lakers get from Kobe is a plus but his team carrying days are done. He will still be a good player but will it be good enough? Ray Allen, Dirk, Nash, Kid, Kg, Carter, Billips, Davis, and now Kobe are all in the same boat.

Mr.ATLHawks
04-14-2013, 09:53 AM
If it was just 30 million I would say no, but after the new CBA rules and luxury tax penalties its going to cost them around 80 million so I dont really know how you pay 80 million with the uncertainty of when he will be back.

GrumpyOldMan
04-14-2013, 10:00 AM
I just dont see Kobe being happy if he is amnestied. He would have no say as to which team he goes to if amnestied unless he clears secondary waivers...which he wouldn't IMO. He would be picked up by the highest bidder among teams that are under the cap. He is too much of a draw to not be picked up by a team struggling with attendance.
He can still be a cash cow for the Lakers if he comes back halfway through next season and resigns with them at a discount for the following year. I don't think they risk a bad breakup with him.

whitemamba33
04-14-2013, 10:09 AM

and bout the money.
Yes
If no one claims him ( probable since he is injured) lakers still pay his 30 million salary.

BUT, here is the catch.

SO , esentially, with kobe on the roster they will be paying him 60 millions for not playing.

So?
From a finantial point of view is definetly something to be looked upon, no matter how rich the buss family are, 30+ million bucks its quite some royal de luxes and mcnuggets.

He is? Last I heard he was planning to be ready for the start of the season and the posted recovery time is 6-9 months. Do you have any quotes or proof otherwise or are you just making #$#@ up for the sake of trying to make your point?

whitemamba33
04-14-2013, 10:09 AM

and bout the money.
Yes

BUT, here is the catch.

So?

He is? Last I heard he was planning to be ready for the start of the season and the posted recovery time is 6-9 months. Do you have any quotes or proof otherwise or are you just making #$#@ up for the sake of trying to make your point?

beasted86
04-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Even when things go terrible they are still doing great!!! I love the Lakers

And you really expect people not to bait Laker fans?

I'm going to love it when the Lakers miss the playoffs this year. Injured or not, Kobe still gets the blame.

Jesse2272
04-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Kobe has been a pleasure to watch

HOF lock

man Im twisted

WTF man

Jesse2272
04-14-2013, 10:41 AM
And you really expect people not to bait Laker fans?

I'm going to love it when the Lakers miss the playoffs this year. Injured or not, Kobe still gets the blame.

really

ldawg
04-14-2013, 11:17 AM
If it was just 30 million I would say no, but after the new CBA rules and luxury tax penalties its going to cost them around 80 million so I dont really know how you pay 80 million with the uncertainty of when he will be back.I think many dont see the realization of the tax. In all Kobe can be back a little before mid season but is it worth it if they are going to be a first round exit team for a 4th year? With the money he is due they will not be able to put a good team on the floor.

rockbottom2010
04-14-2013, 11:31 AM
its hard to picture kobe in a different uniform

ldawg
04-14-2013, 12:14 PM
Hate to say it but this is very close to the end of the road for Kobe. He can come back and be a good player like Dirk as third string player on a championship team. Lakers have been 1st round fodder for two years and if the make the playoffs this will make that 3 years. If he comes back less than what he was this season or try to shoot is way to 26 points

DumDum
04-14-2013, 12:44 PM
Management should ask him to retire for a season. So they can gets the moneys to get Another superstar. Then kobe can come back as A Sf

theheatles
04-14-2013, 12:48 PM
holy ****, Magic just said it's $110 million decision because the Lakers are repeat offenders, so they would be taxed $4.25 on the dollar, ouch!

TheLegend
04-14-2013, 01:19 PM
lol Yeah, you're right the front office personnel makes decisions based on emotion and loyalty instead of making prudent financial decisions for the business they are running. These kids on the internet are so foolish thinking that saving the franchise potentially $60 million luxury tax bill would be a way that the front office would go about their business.

This not your association in NBA2k. It doesn't work how you think. You just don't amnesty a player that has won you 5 ships. Yeah, u may save money, but how millions have Kobe made that franchise?? Maybe you amnesty someone like a Danny Granger or Carlos Boozer. But Kobe? That organization wouldn't survive the backlash.

Peanutz
04-14-2013, 01:23 PM
I was watching NBA countdown and Jalen Rose said the Lakers should amnesty Kobe so they could use that 30mil to sign other players to build around Dwight. If this is true they could be major players for Chris Paul this summer.

I thought they would have to trade Gasol for nothing then amnesty Kobe then they would have enough to offer 2 max contracts this summer.

Am I right or is Jalen Rose right?

Peanutz
04-14-2013, 01:25 PM
If true Lakers should be all over this they could resign Dwight and add CP3 and another player like Josh Smith.

Then Kobe comes back in 2014.

CP3
Kobe
?
Smith
D12

Hawkeye15
04-14-2013, 01:27 PM
They would drop to $48 million ($10 million under the cap), with 8 roster spots to fill, including re-signing Dwight.

NeverSayNevur
04-14-2013, 01:43 PM
You shouldn't listen to ESPN.

Peanutz
04-14-2013, 01:45 PM
They would drop to $48 million ($10 million under the cap), with 8 roster spots to fill, including re-signing Dwight.They could trade Gasol for a draft pick, im sure a lot of teams would want Gasol a top 5 center on a expiring contract. They would then go down to 28mil after trading Gasol.

It could be pulled off if Kobe agreed to sit out the whole season. No way CP3 turns down Kobe/Dwight/Magic Johnson recruiting him this offseason.

sep11ie
04-14-2013, 01:47 PM
What team is that far under the cap to trade for Gasol for just a draft pick?

dhopisthename
04-14-2013, 01:55 PM
What team is that far under the cap to trade for Gasol for just a draft pick?

jazz, hawks, pistons, and I am sure a few others

ManRam
04-14-2013, 01:56 PM
here's all that matters: if they amnesty kobe they aren't going to be able to sign a max player, period.

and the lakers are not going to find a team to take on pau without giving a relatively big salary back to LAL. that's a pipe dream.

CP3 ain't coming through that door

Peanutz
04-14-2013, 01:56 PM
What team is that far under the cap to trade for Gasol for just a draft pick?Charlotte they need a allstar, Jordan is desperate to turn that franchise around.
Minnesota they always wanted to pair Rubio with Gasol.

*Gasol is a expiring contract so it's really not that big a gamble.

*Also they don't even have to trade their 1rd pick they could trade a 2nd round pick and LA would accept it just to get more capspace.

You mean to tell me that no team would take Pau Gasol for a 2nd rd pick?

Peanutz
04-14-2013, 01:57 PM

Yep Atlanta probably won't resign Smith and they need a center if they can't get Pekovik, Gasol would be the next best bigman on the market.

Peanutz
04-14-2013, 01:59 PM
here's all that matters: if they amnesty kobe they aren't going to be able to sign a max player, period.

and the lakers are not going to find a team to take on pau without giving a relatively big salary back to LAL. that's a pipe dream.

CP3 ain't coming through that door

False if they amnesty Kobe and trade Gasol for a draft pick they would only have 28mil on their roster they can resign Dwight and offer another max deal.

ManRam
04-14-2013, 01:59 PM

i'd bet my LIFE that utah and detroit don't trade a pick for pau, especially detroit. it makes little to no sense for atlanta either. they just finally freed up a ton of cap...why would a team in their position trade any asset for a 33 year old $20,000,000 contract?

shep33
04-14-2013, 02:00 PM
Gasol since coming back from injury has been phenomenal. Lakers won't trade him until they find out what's going on with Dwight though. If Pau is allowed to play the 5 and be the primary post presence, he's 20 and 11 every night.

Peanutz
Metta might even opt out for a smaller deal, that would give them even more cap space.

Peanutz
i'd bet my LIFE that utah and detroit don't trade a pick for pau, especially detroit. it makes little to no sense for atlanta either. they just finally freed up a ton of cap...why would a team in their position trade any asset for a 33 year old $20,000,000 contract?Expiring 20,000 contract.

shep33
04-14-2013, 02:01 PM
Technically they can trade for a future pick or 2nd rounder if they really wanted to get rid of Gasol's deal. The whole point would not be to get a good draft pick, but instead get the cap room to potentially sign another star or build a new team.

Peanutz
04-14-2013, 02:04 PM
Technically they can trade for a future pick or 2nd rounder if they really wanted to get rid of Gasol's deal. The whole point would not be to get a good draft pick, but instead get the cap room to potentially sign another star or build a new team.Exactly this is my point.

You mean to tell me no team under the cap wouldn't offer a 2nd rd pick to get Gasol?

Gasol is still one of the best offensive bigman in the game.

Peanutz
04-14-2013, 02:05 PM
Charlotte would be all over this because they aren't attracting any FA any time soon.

Hawkeye15
04-14-2013, 04:21 PM
They could trade Gasol for a draft pick, im sure a lot of teams would want Gasol a top 5 center on a expiring contract. They would then go down to 28mil after trading Gasol.

It could be pulled off if Kobe agreed to sit out the whole season. No way CP3 turns down Kobe/Dwight/Magic Johnson recruiting him this offseason.

you would need to find a team $15-18 million under the cap that is willing to absorb Gasol. Good luck

Hawkeye15
04-14-2013, 04:23 PM
Gasol since coming back from injury has been phenomenal. Lakers won't trade him until they find out what's going on with Dwight though. If Pau is allowed to play the 5 and be the primary post presence, he's 20 and 11 every night.

Pau at center is a bad thing long term.

utl768
04-14-2013, 04:26 PM
someone would claim kobe on amnesty waivers though and you risk losing him

an under the table deal for him to def return in 2014 also would be a huge cba violation

Tony_Starks
04-14-2013, 04:26 PM
You don't amnesty one of the greatest Lakers in history. It's good for hypotheticals but sorry ain't happenin Captain.....

shep33
04-14-2013, 04:48 PM

Honestly, I think it's the best position he can play at this point. Too many quick PF's in this league now, and Pau isn't as agile as he used to be. Offensively, I still think he's a top big in this league. He's been killing it since he's come back, particularly because we've been getting him the ball more... only took us 80 games lol

Hawkeye15
04-14-2013, 04:52 PM
Honestly, I think it's the best position he can play at this point. Too many quick PF's in this league now, and Pau isn't as agile as he used to be. Offensively, I still think he's a top big in this league. He's been killing it since he's come back, particularly because we've been getting him the ball more... only took us 80 games lol

You may be right that at this point of his career he is better suited at center, but history has shown he just isn't great there for 82 games. Then again, he was a full time center before he peaked, so who knows.

Hawkeye15
04-14-2013, 04:53 PM
You don't amnesty one of the greatest Lakers in history. It's good for hypotheticals but sorry ain't happenin Captain.....

It would save the Lakers $30 million, plus the tax they are hit with. Fans are smart now, they understand it's a business much more than they did years ago. If both sides feel that next season is a lost one for Kobe, it makes economical sense. He can just re-sign in the summer of 2014, though it would be for far less money, his bird rights would be gone.

Hellcrooner
04-14-2013, 04:58 PM
would still need to convince artest to opt out and sign back for mínimum or walk.

AND trade pau for a pair of picks getting nO PLAYERS In return.

then and only then would lakers have capspace to go chase J Smith, igoudala o cp3.

Difficult.

Hellcrooner
04-14-2013, 05:02 PM

yeah, very bad 3 finals two rings odom at pf pau at center:rolleyes:

it went all to **** when bynum got "healthy" and didnt get his minutes limited.

Losoway
04-14-2013, 05:03 PM
lakers will never amnesty kobe. the fact this thread is still open is blasphemy .

bleedprple&gold
04-14-2013, 05:03 PM
someone would claim kobe on amnesty waivers though and you risk losing him

an under the table deal for him to def return in 2014 also would be a huge cba violation

He's a FA in 2014 he has the right to sign with whoever he wants. You can't prove it was an under the table deal.

Hawkeye15
04-14-2013, 05:04 PM
yeah, very bad 3 finals two rings odom at pf pau at center:rolleyes:

it went all to **** when bynum got "healthy" and didnt get his minutes limited.

The Lakers were at their best defensively with Pau/Bynum there. You saw the Celtics series shift without Bynum. When he was there, Lakers win.

Hellcrooner
04-14-2013, 05:05 PM
The Lakers were at their best defensively with Pau/Bynum there. You saw the Celtics series shift without Bynum. When he was there, Lakers win.

bynum played VERY LIMITed minutes vs Orlando and celtics part 2.

btw, the first time around, ARIZA was out, so we had friggin radmanovic on pierce, oh and a certain kobe forgot to pass the rock, thats what happened.

bleedprple&gold
04-14-2013, 05:06 PM
lakers will never amnesty kobe. the fact this thread is still open is blasphemy .

If he was going to miss the 2013-14 season anyway it does make sense. But we all know he will be back. If he recovers in 6 months like Terrell Suggs did he could be in the lineup opening night.

utl768
04-14-2013, 05:13 PM
If he was going to miss the 2013-14 season anyway it does make sense. But we all know he will be back. If he recovers in 6 months like Terrell Suggs did he could be in the lineup opening night.

suggs had a partial tear

LoveMeOrHateMe
04-14-2013, 05:15 PM
Kobe isn't getting amnestied lol at the people who think that!

utl768
04-14-2013, 05:17 PM
Kobe isn't getting amnestied lol at the people who think that!

agreed

only way this happens is if kobe is ruled out for the entire season and that isnt going too happen in july when the amnesty period is open

king4day
04-14-2013, 05:28 PM
Charlotte would be all over this because they aren't attracting any FA any time soon.

Charlotte is likely going to get one of Milsap, Jefferson, or Smith. If LA approaches Charlotte to take Pau, they should request a future first to go along with it. Gasol probably won't resign with the Bobcats so they need it to be worth it for them.

Tony_Starks
04-14-2013, 05:48 PM
People act like the Lakers are really that concerned about paying that money. I'm sure they don't like taking that tax hit but they have a multi billion dollar deal with time Warner and are one of the most profitable franchises in sports, I think they'll manage....

VendettaRed07
04-14-2013, 06:01 PM
No point. Just let the deal expire, resign dwight, trade paul gasol. Try to trade Nash to the raptors.

theheatles
04-14-2013, 06:06 PM
This not your association in NBA2k. It doesn't work how you think. You just don't amnesty a player that has won you 5 ships. Yeah, u may save money, but how millions have Kobe made that franchise?? Maybe you amnesty someone like a Danny Granger or Carlos Boozer. But Kobe? That organization wouldn't survive the backlash.

lol, it's a hard decision either way because a lot of variables need to be measured, but your logic is of the crazed and berserk fan and mine is of the logical front office execs. Lol, and how you commented of this thread being from just some internet kid playing video games when your opinion is of some stereotypical internet kobephile and I'm willing to bet you play the association, meanwhile I don't even play video games. One of the principles of the Kabbalah is that you'll criticize others about things you see in yourself, so good luck with that.

OceanSpray
04-14-2013, 07:10 PM
I understand it's just a hypothetical question but the thought of Kobe getting amnestied is unrealistic. He's the heart and soul of that team and the only way he's going down is by retirement. The LAL management have the utmost respect in Kobe and they'll never stab him like that after all he's done for them. With that being said, it makes a lot of sense but if they do amnesty Kobe, who can they honestly get? If Kobe barely got them to the playoffs, which player asides from KD, LeBron, and maybe Harden can carry that team?

ldawg
04-14-2013, 07:33 PM
Kobe should ask for it. If he really cared about the Lakers. Just sit out the whole year man. Kobe need to realize he is not young anymore and need to rest and rehab his body proper rather than rushing back. If he remain on the books they will not be able to put a good team on the floor anyway so what is the point. With Kobe over the last 3 years they have been first round fodder. Next season he will have good games and bad games as he try to prove us wrong. But we know it wont be good enough. Even without the injury he had games when his age showed. Nash too has showed his age using his off hand to get around players and his slow recover time. Kobe should be smart let them be able to construct a team then come back the next season so they can truly contend. Because thats the best shot Lakers will have to win with Kobe. If they get the needed help.

OceanSpray
04-14-2013, 07:45 PM
Kobe should ask for it. If he really cared about the Lakers. Just sit out the whole year man. Kobe need to realize he is not young anymore and need to rest and rehab his body proper rather than rushing back. If he remain on the books they will not be able to put a good team on the floor anyway so what is the point. With Kobe over the last 3 years they have been first round fodder. Next season he will have good games and bad games as he try to prove us wrong. But we know it wont be good enough. Even without the injury he had games when his age showed. Nash too has showed his age using his off hand to get around players and his slow recover time. Kobe should be smart let them be able to construct a team then come back the next season so they can truly contend. Because thats the best shot Lakers will have to win with Kobe. If they get the needed help.

This doesn't make any sense. Kobe wants to win for himself. This isn't about the LAL. It's about Kobe's destiny and some may say that is a bigger deal for Kobe than the LAL. If LAL win without Kobe, it's not going to mean as much.

Trueblue2
04-15-2013, 02:46 AM
They could trade Gasol for a draft pick, im sure a lot of teams would want Gasol a top 5 center on a expiring contract. They would then go down to 28mil after trading Gasol.

The value of an expiring contract is that you can send longer contracts back to the team trading the expiring player.

odiz
04-15-2013, 05:51 AM

Yea but if hes not going to play next year it doesnt matter if someone claims him because hes an FA in 2014. With that being said no way he gets amnestied and no way he misses all of next season.