PDA

View Full Version : Suspensions in Pro Sports

Triple_Ocho
04-12-2013, 12:07 PM
This seems relevant considering what happened last night between the Dodgers and Padres... There have been a few situations now over the last couple years in sports where there has been some intent to injur players on opposing teams. For example:

Bounty Gate and the Saints
Metta World Peace's elbow on James Harden
Carlos Quentin taking out Zack Greinke

There are more but each of these seemed to be done on purpose. Bounty gate was the only one with substantial suspensions. MWP was only suspended for 5-7 games, Quentin will only get 3-5 IMO, but is that enough??

Mattingly said something to the effect of "Quentin should be out till Greinke comes back." I for one agree with that philosophy in certain situations. The way suspensions are handed out should change. MWP shouldve sat until James Harden could play again. The same should follow for the Quentin/Greinke situation. IMO this would make guys think twice about walking under a shooter on purpose, throwing a blantantly intentional elbow, or charging the mound. So my real question is this: Do you guys think the suspensions normally handed down in these situations are enough? Should there be any changes to suspension policies in these scenarios?

ManRam
04-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Punish the act not the result. Quentin shouldn't get any more than what the standard for rushing the mound like that is just because Greinke got hurt.

So I disagree, and I say that in that regard, suspensions shouldn't be changed. I'd like more consistency, but that's somewhat unrelated.

sep11ie
04-12-2013, 12:33 PM
He got hurt from lowering his shoulder and running head first into CQ. Hell, in the NFL Grienke woulda got a 10 yard penalty.

BigBlueCrew
04-12-2013, 12:41 PM
Mattingly is only saying this because its his guy who happens to be hurt. But its a little bit on the ridiculous side. The NBA\NFL already has enough rules to discipline its players when it comes to these things. If you so much as come off the bench in the NBA you get suspended in the NBA. Which is kind of nuts. Fans already find Rodger Godell overbearing. I agree with sep11ie that it was Greinke's fault that he got injured.

LeperMessiah
04-12-2013, 05:47 PM
Punish the act not the result. Quentin shouldn't get any more than what the standard for rushing the mound like that is just because Greinke got hurt.

So I disagree, and I say that in that regard, suspensions shouldn't be changed. I'd like more consistency, but that's somewhat unrelated.

I watched it a few times, came close to an NFL scale tackle to me.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-12-2013, 05:56 PM
Going to close this thread because it's better suited for the GD forum where there's currently a thread going on about this same topic.

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?813866-Is-it-time