PDA

View Full Version : Melo: "They can have it"

Knick_Fever
04-12-2013, 10:32 AM
Melo after Bulls game:
"They can have it," Anthony said. "They can have it. They can have it. They can have the regular-season wins. They did a great job at beating us four times. We're not worrying about them at this point."

Are regular season games indicative of playoff outcomes, or can the Knicks turn it up in the playoffs like the Heat?

And while we're on this "turn it up" concept, does this only apply to the Heat regarding the playoffs? I say no, but the heat have the luxury of an extra gear they can switch to when necessary.

Blitzbolt
04-12-2013, 10:35 AM
Well I agree with Melo the regular season means nothing.But in the playoffs you always go with the best defensive and rebounding team.

Federal Reserve
04-12-2013, 10:41 AM
The Bulls have become a better team without Rose, so once he returns the Bulls will get worse on defense and offensive efficiency.

xxplayerxx23
04-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Why would you post this hear? You know how the nba forum is. So many Knicks threads no need to add another one. Melo is right regular season means nothing but the bulls do give us problems

SportsFanatic10
04-12-2013, 10:52 AM
lol that's a lot of they can have its. comes off as a little bitter but it's true, regular season matchups don't really indicate what will happen over the course of a 7 game series in the playoffs when the rotations shorten, the stars play bigger minutes, the coaches can scheme for the same opponent, there's always a day of rest inbetween games, and everything is on the line. just a different animal the playoffs.

jp611
04-12-2013, 10:53 AM
The Bulls have become a better team without Rose, so once he returns the Bulls will get worse on defense and offensive efficiency.

:laugh2:

Yeah, the Bulls who have been the number 1 overall seed the last 2 seasons, and have now become a fifth seed without Rose are better without him :laugh2:

WOWOWOWOOWOW LOLOLOLOLOLOL TROLOLOLOLOLOLOL

lvlheaded
04-12-2013, 10:56 AM
This thread was a terrible idea. While I agree with the idea that regular season wins mean very little outside of positioning, its really not a good idea to post anything Knick or Melo related in the main NBA forum

TheNumber37
04-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Well, he's kinda right. The Knicks won't even face them in the playoffs...

If the Bulls finish 5th or 6th they'd face the Nets and Pacers respectively. Getting through the Nets give them Miami... and if they drop a couple games or Atlanta starts winning, then they'd go through the Pacers for us the Knicks...

Knicks are more focused on their last big game which is Indiana on Sunday.

Slug3
04-12-2013, 11:13 AM
I mean with Melo's impressive post season résumé he sure knows what he's talking about.

NYJ - NYY
04-12-2013, 11:14 AM
despite him being right... OP your decision is ****ing awful guy

kozelkid
04-12-2013, 11:14 AM

Yeah, the Bulls who have been the number 1 overall seed the last 2 seasons, and have now become a fifth seed without Rose are better without him :laugh2:

Why are you responding to him?

He's a troll that everyone has long tuned out.

JiffyMix88
04-12-2013, 11:44 AM
Sounds bitter but he's right they're nothing to worry about...right now at least. If he plays them in the playoffs then I'm pretty sure he'd be worried after losing 4 straight to the Bulls.

effen5
04-12-2013, 11:46 AM
At the end of the day, the Knicks are jump shooting team. Bulls are one of the best defensive teams in the league….yeah I’d take my Bulls over the Knicks 10/10 times.

sep11ie
04-12-2013, 12:05 PM
Federal Reserve.

SteBO
04-12-2013, 12:19 PM
Believe it or not, Carmelo is 100% right. That said, it doesn't necessarily mean that Chicago isn't a difficult match up for the Knicks. They are, but that's a case you can make for a lot of teams and the opposite can likely end up happening(see the last two years). Unlike the regular season, playoff basketball will demand your best players to play 40+ minutes most games, and the pace of the game slows down in addition to no back-to-backs.

waveycrockett
04-12-2013, 12:21 PM
he mad

John Walls Era
04-12-2013, 01:09 PM
wasn't Melos to give anyways. Bulls earned the wins.

72 Wins
04-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Melo mad. If Lebron said this after getting swept by the Bulls in the regular season, I would say he's right and his comment would have more merit. Not saying Melo is wrong, because his comment is just plain common sense. But the context was almost implying that the Knicks have proven to be an elite playoff team who can step it up in the playoffs. Sorry, but they haven't yet.

koreancabbage
04-12-2013, 02:11 PM
Melo mad. If Lebron said this after getting swept by the Bulls in the regular season, I would say he's right and his comment would have more merit. Not saying Melo is wrong, because his comment is just plain common sense. But the context was almost implying that the Knicks have proven to be an elite playoff team who can step it up in the playoffs. Sorry, but they haven't yet.

problem is that Lebron would never say that. He knows they lost to them and he would let his game do all the talking in the playoffs.

Even though Melo scored 30+ plus points, his game was decidedly what lost them the game. he had 19 rebounds sure (6 offensive), but he missed about 20 shots which he could have easily passed off to teammates. As well, he didn't even bother chasing down Butler on two of those bad passes to Melo.

and then he goes on to say that the Bulls can have this game??? I'm sorry but that's a load of crap.

Melo has a lot to prove so he can't afford more games like these where he misses 20 shots.

ChitownSports16
04-12-2013, 02:34 PM
I mean with Melo's impressive post season résumé he sure knows what he's talking about.
This.... Let me know when you get deep in the playoffs Melo...

VendettaRed07
04-12-2013, 02:42 PM
At the end of the day, the Knicks are jump shooting team. Bulls are one of the best defensive teams in the league….yeah I’d take my Bulls over the Knicks 10/10 times.

Defense doesn't help you if you can't score, and lets not pretend like the knicks have been awful on defense this year like they have in the past. If they were they wouldn't be the number 2 seed right now. The knicks have been a jump shooting team as of late because of necessity. All the bigs are out right now but by the time they play the bulls Chandler, Kmart and even Amar'e should be back who all can easily score down low especially if you still don't have Noah.

FYL_McVeezy
04-12-2013, 02:49 PM

What makes you think he was implying this? :facepalm:

Stunner
04-12-2013, 02:51 PM
Melo is a cry baby somewhat , after the third Bulls / Knicks game he wouldn't give the bulls credit for their defense . He just a lil upset and yea he's right but he shouldn't be saying anything seeing they haven't Made it the 2nd round in years . They won't go anywhere shooting , they will lose possibly in the 1st round to Boston.

72 Wins
04-12-2013, 02:54 PM
What makes you think he was implying this? :facepalm:

"They can have it," Anthony said. "They can have it. They can have it. They can have the regular-season wins. They did a great job at beating us four times. We're not worrying about them at this point."

Are you serious? The implication is simple. He may as well said "Yeah, the Bulls beat us in the regular season, but that does't mean ***** because we'll handle them in the playoffs."

BigBlueCrew
04-12-2013, 03:11 PM
:facepalm: Wow dude people really get butthurt on this forum and make silly implications

ChitownSports16
04-12-2013, 03:27 PM
:facepalm: Wow dude people really get butthurt on this forum and make silly implications

They get it from Melo.

BigBlueCrew
04-12-2013, 03:32 PM
They get it from Melo.

I heard him last night live when he said it . He meant nothing of the sort. I know it cant relayed via the net. But you guys gotta relax a little. You won the series. There isnt much more to be said.

KnickaBocka.44
04-12-2013, 03:33 PM

Are you serious? The implication is simple. He may as well said "Yeah, the Bulls beat us in the regular season, but that does't mean ***** because we'll handle them in the playoffs."

He very well could have meant something along the lines of " We know we won't be seeing them until at least the second round. We have other teams to worry about first."

Knick_Fever
04-12-2013, 03:42 PM
despite him being right... OP your decision is ****ing awful guy

It was a bold and competative statement made by a big time athlete, so how is it not thread worthy? And judging by the context of your posts (which consistently lack taste), you have no room to judge.

BigBlueCrew
04-12-2013, 03:49 PM
It was a bold and competative statement made by a big time athlete, so how is it not thread worthy? And judging by the context of your posts (which consistently lack taste), you have no room to judge.

It was a bold and competitive statement? It was just a statement in response to a reporter at the end of a game which had gone into overtime. Perhaps the dude was tired, looking to get the hell outta there? After playing 45+ mins. The season is winding down for the Knicks. I mean cmon

FYL_McVeezy
04-12-2013, 03:56 PM

LMAO.....maybe he knows they more than likely wont even meet up in the playoffs......or maybe he realizes that he can't wallow about losing to the bulls because they have to focus on teams they have left so they can clinch the #2

But my bad, you obviously know Melo more than anyone on this thread...so carry on...

Knick_Fever
04-12-2013, 04:06 PM
It was a bold and competitive statement? It was just a statement in response to a reporter at the end of a game which had gone into overtime. Perhaps the dude was tired, looking to get the hell outta there? After playing 45+ mins. The season is winding down for the Knicks. I mean cmon

Oh wow, not you too. When Melo said "They can have it," it was a direct shot at the Bulls. He knows the knicks are the better team, thats why he said it and in the tone he used. He was dissapointed he couldnt end the game at the buzzer and had to watch nate celebrate the way he did. No offense, but this is really obvious, I should'nt have to explain it for you.

BigBlueCrew
04-12-2013, 04:08 PM
Oh wow, not you too. When Melo said "They can have it," it was a direct shot at the Bulls. He knows the knicks are the better team, thats why he said it and in the tone he used. He was dissapointed he couldnt end the game at the buzzer and had to watch nate celebrate the way he did. No offense, but this is really obvious, I should'nt have to explain it for you.

:pity:

Knick_Fever
04-12-2013, 04:11 PM

I cant believe there are some posters on here who fail to realize the obvious context of what Melo implied. I refuse to believe they are serious. Please tell me they're just being sarcastic? :facepalm:

72 Wins
04-12-2013, 04:11 PM
LMAO.....maybe he knows they more than likely wont even meet up in the playoffs......or maybe he realizes that he can't wallow about losing to the bulls because they have to focus on teams they have left so they can clinch the #2

But my bad, you obviously know Melo more than anyone on this thread...so carry on...

ANYTIME someone makes a vague, yet somewhat bold comment (to warrant a thread in the NBA forum), an implication or various opinions/speculations are going to be made. I apologize if my opinion differs from yours.

72 Wins
04-12-2013, 04:14 PM
I cant believe there are some posters on here who fail to realize the obvious context of what Melo implied. I refuse to believe they are serious. Please tell me they're just being sarcastic? :facepalm:

Some fans are blinded by their love of their team/superstars.

smiddy012
04-12-2013, 04:15 PM

This is so fallacious and ignorant I don't even know where to start.

chicagocubsfan
04-12-2013, 04:24 PM
I agree with Melo, but then again the Knicks are a team that rely on threes to win so I don't see them going far either. Would love to play them in the playoffs though.

FYL_McVeezy
04-12-2013, 04:27 PM

:facepalm:

FYL_McVeezy
04-12-2013, 04:29 PM
ANYTIME someone makes a vague, yet somewhat bold comment (to warrant a thread in the NBA forum), an implication or various opinions/speculations are going to be made. I apologize if my opinion differs from yours.

we agree to disagree then.....

ILLUSIONIST^248
04-12-2013, 04:48 PM

So Rose makes the Bulls worse? :facepalm:

Knick_Fever
04-12-2013, 04:57 PM
we agree to disagree then.....

I guess that makes three of us.

--23--
04-12-2013, 05:07 PM
:shrug: Don't really care for the quotes, but to answer your question I think regular season matchups are a greater indicator of what can happen in the playoffs. And can the Knicks turn it up in the playoffs...well Melo can determine that, If he steps his game up to a high level the team will/should follow him.

HeaTxRipZz
04-12-2013, 05:26 PM
I don't see anything wrong with what he said. I guess people want to try and create some type of "drama" or "story" going into the playoffs but I've heard players say much bolder and much worse comments. What he said was common sense

justinnum1
04-12-2013, 05:29 PM
Funny. I said the same thing about the Knicks regular season wins vs. Miami and Knicks fans were acting like they won the championship after each win.

Knicks fans should listen to their "superstar" and realize regular season means nothing.

HeaTxRipZz
04-12-2013, 05:30 PM
Funny. I said the same thing about the Knicks regular season wins vs. Miami and Knicks fans were acting like they won the championship after each win.

Knicks fans should listen to their "superstar" and realize regular season means nothing.

When you said it you were acting as if it would be completely different come the playoffs. I think it was more so your cockiness that people disagreed with but I can only really speak for myself.

justinnum1
04-12-2013, 05:35 PM

When you said it you were acting as if it would be completely different come the playoffs. I think it was more so your cockiness that people disagreed with but I can only really speak for myself.

Actually is was knocks fans who thought that since they blew Miami out twice it would be that way in the playoffs. When your team has lebron wade and bosh and has been to the finals 2 years in a row and is the shave favorite to repeat, there is goo reason to be cocky. :cool:

HeaTxRipZz
04-12-2013, 05:40 PM
Actually is was knocks fans who thought that since they blew Miami out twice it would be that way in the playoffs. When your team has lebron wade and bosh and has been to the finals 2 years in a row and is the shave favorite to repeat, there is goo reason to be cocky. :cool:

lol I guess so Bro I'm more of a humble type of guy but you're right your team does give great reasons to brag and be cocky

NYKNYGNYY
04-12-2013, 05:44 PM
Why make this thread ... To bash him and the knicks?

JEDean89
04-12-2013, 06:49 PM
who the **** cares? the knicks will play boston in the 1st, and Indiana or ATL in the 2nd. Only way they CHI is if they get the 6th seed and then beat the Pacers. I have mad respect for the Bulls, they are a team that did it right, drafted their players and play defense. Thibs is the man and D-Rose can be the #1 option on a championship team, only a handful of players can say that. I think though that they should make a trade for a 2nd option. Carlos Boozer is a 3rd option and Deng and Noah are good 4th and 5th options. If they could clear deng and Boozer, they already have Gibson and Butler, Build around those three and Noah and Try and Bring in an Eric Gordon or someone that can put up 20 ppg. It just seems that once you get you're stars the rest of the pieces will fall into place. Guys will be lining up to play alongside D-Rose, dominant wing and Noah. It wouldn't be hard to build around that.

sunsfan88
04-12-2013, 07:54 PM
Lol regular season wins don't mean anything...and yet I still see Knicks fans talking trash to Heat fans cause the NYK won the season series against them.

OceanSpray
04-12-2013, 11:15 PM
Weren't NYK and Boston fans using this as proof to why Miami would lose in the playoffs against them?

Avenged
04-13-2013, 03:37 AM
Yep, he is right. Same thing with them winning their division. There is a bigger goal here especially for a team like the Knicks.

Still though, the way he said it just sounds like he's bitter about it. Wouldn't blame him, I love when players show they're not happy after losing.

Jesse2272
04-13-2013, 03:14 PM
justinnum1 fears melo

STA_PLAR
04-13-2013, 03:51 PM
We still got the second seed and guess what "we can have it."

Fmaranesi
04-13-2013, 04:06 PM
Knicks have a good team this year, maybe this will be the team that finally gets Melo past the first round. With that said, usually regular season wins don't mean much but when you go 0-4 against a team that doesn't have their best player in any meeting then that does mean "something." Knick fans should be counting their blessings that they won't have to face the Bulls because even without DRose, the Bulls are a perfect match up against the Knicks.

FYL_McVeezy
04-13-2013, 04:27 PM
Knicks have a good team this year, maybe this will be the team that finally gets Melo past the first round. With that said, usually regular season wins don't mean much but when you go 0-4 against a team that doesn't have their best player in any meeting then that does mean "something." Knick fans should be counting their blessings that they won't have to face the Bulls because even without DRose, the Bulls are a perfect match up against the Knicks.

We know....

Riodagoat
04-13-2013, 05:28 PM
When was the last time the Knicks got out of the first round? Or win a 7 game series?

Baby steps. Get something done first before talking about "turning it up." They've proven nothing.

jam
04-13-2013, 06:46 PM
This thread was a terrible idea. While I agree with the idea that regular season wins mean very little outside of positioning, its really not a good idea to post anything Knick or Melo related in the main NBA forum

Carmelx's a passive aggressive snake in the grass. This is the same weasel who basically tanked an entire season with denver when he wanted out and then did the same thing again in new york when he wanted to get rid of dantoni. I'm sure he would've tanked a THIRD season had the knicks FO been bright enough (fat chance) to re-sign Lin.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. No team will EVER win a championship with Carmelx as the first option.

Cry more, knicks fans!

Backstabber
04-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Carmelx's a passive aggressive snake in the grass. This is the same weasel who basically tanked an entire season with denver when he wanted out and then did the same thing again in new york when he wanted to get rid of dantoni. I'm sure he would've tanked a THIRD season had the knicks FO been bright enough (fat chance) to re-sign Lin.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. No team will EVER win a championship with Carmelx as the first option.

Cry more, knicks fans!

No evidence at all that he tanked in Denver. If you ask me Kobe would have been better off if he had did the same thing with D'Antoni

lamzoka
04-13-2013, 08:17 PM
knicks will most likely not face bulls in the playoffs

1st Rd- Celtics
2nd-Rd- Indy
ECF- heat
finals- winner of the west

KnicksR4Real
04-13-2013, 08:23 PM

this times 1 billion. rose was the mvp a few years ago

xxplayerxx23
04-13-2013, 08:39 PM

I agree with you and melo. Regular season os for playoff positions, playoffs are a different animal.. Take those " away from superstar and I support this comment :D

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-13-2013, 09:49 PM
Melo after Bulls game:

Are regular season games indicative of playoff outcomes, or can the Knicks turn it up in the playoffs like the Heat?

And while we're on this "turn it up" concept, does this only apply to the Heat regarding the playoffs? I say no, but the heat have the luxury of an extra gear they can switch to when necessary.

Because thee Heat have done it before, that's why. The Knicks, well haven't. Carmelo has been one and done 8 out of the 9 times in the playoffs and Woodson has never made it past game 4 in the 2nd round. That's why.

Weren't NYK and Boston fans using this as proof to why Miami would lose in the playoffs against them?

The vast majority(if not all) Celtics fans knew the Heat would beat the Celtics last season and this season if they were to face each other:shrug:

JordansBulls
04-15-2013, 10:59 AM
I still can't believe we won all 4 games vs the Knicks this season.

javaid64
04-15-2013, 12:47 PM
I still can't believe we won all 4 games vs the Knicks this season.

for a team with a relative lack of talent, they play really well. if there is one team that could scare any team in the eastern conference it is chicago. No shot at miami but it seems chicago doesnt fear any team. its kind of embarrassing being a knick fan and same should happen with miami fan that a team with the type of injuries they have that they are able to stay competitive with teams with probably more than twice potential talent than them.

but playoffs are a different beast and we will have to see if their plays translates well to playoffs. usually in playoffs i've seen that the more talented teams usually win but maybe chicago is the exception.

TheWhiteMamba
04-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Melo is right in the sense that regular season wins dont mean much in comparison to what happens in the postseason but at the same time there are certain games during the season that mean something. Over the course of a regular season id say there are about 5-10 games that players wake up early for and are in must win mode. Melo can say "they can have it" but that was a must win game for him (did not want to be swept to a team that gives him fits) and you bet ur *** during the streak he wanted to win every game. To say "they can have it" after the loss as if to say he didnt care about winning is ******** and he comes off as bitter.