PDA

View Full Version : Who deserves to be named Coach of the Year?

DenButsu
04-12-2013, 02:28 AM
Who deserves to be named Coach of the Year?

Listed in order of current league standings...

Erik Spoelstra
Scott Brooks
Gregg Popovich
George Karl
Lionel Hollins
Vinny Del Negro
Mike Woodson
Frank Vogel

...or someone else?

dalton749
04-12-2013, 02:36 AM
dwayne casey. he was more generous than any other coach, giving away more wins than any 2 of them combined.

its like the man of the year award right?

24KOBE24
04-12-2013, 02:53 AM
Mike freaking piece of **** Dumbass no defence'Antoni.

it takes skill to f up this bad!

VinceGully
04-12-2013, 03:03 AM
no thibs....really...really? not even a mention?

houstonfan
04-12-2013, 03:05 AM
Ya Thibs and McHale should at least be mentioned... Winner should be George Karl though

3iverson3
04-12-2013, 03:06 AM
George Karl. As a nugg fan it is easy to be mad at him with his dumb rotations at times, how he plays favorites, and can't win in postseason but he has really got this team to jell. Buying in to a real team mentality and having such a young team to play some defense (finally!) are some things he has done good on. Also Iggy for dpoy!

3iverson3
04-12-2013, 03:09 AM
Anyways who would you pick De and why?

Hellcrooner
04-12-2013, 03:13 AM
Dont know why anybody has any doubt about this.

Mike Dantoni.

See? he is out there trying to make a horrible roster with 0 stars and such into an 8th seed.

:rolleyes:

3iverson3
04-12-2013, 03:26 AM
no thibs....really...really? not even a mention?

If you read the post by Den, you would see that the coaches are listed in order of standings. Sheesh

krrys11
04-12-2013, 03:35 AM
How come D' Antonii is not on the list? He might not be a great coach but he is the smartest....does nothing and gets paid by two teams !

Thats what I would call a success !!

On the serious note George Karl....but Erik Spoelstra will win in coz of the run they had.

setman2000
04-12-2013, 04:19 AM
George Karl. As a nugg fan it is easy to be mad at him with his dumb rotations at times, how he plays favorites, and can't win in postseason but he has really got this team to jell. Buying in to a real team mentality and having such a young team to play some defense (finally!) are some things he has done good on. Also Iggy for dpoy!

Ditto every word!

49GiantWarriors
04-12-2013, 04:28 AM
i want mark jackson

DenButsu
04-12-2013, 04:42 AM
Anyways who would you pick De and why?

There's kind of a philosophical divide between those who think COY should go to coaches who meet very high expectations (and Spo would probably be the leading vote-getter among this camp) and those who think it should go to coaches who exceed and defy lesser expectations (and I think Karl would probably be the leading vote-getter here). And I think there's a reasonable case to be made on both sides.

I'd be happy to see Karl get it. I have problems with his rotations and favoritism at times, but he sure has gotten a hell of a lot out of his roster. But he doesn't want it anyhow, and I think comparably solid cases could be made for about 4 or 5 of these guys to win it, so if someone else does I won't have a problem with it.

DenButsu
04-12-2013, 04:45 AM
Lakers fans seem to be really happy w/ D'Antoni.

Oh, and I did not mean to intentionally slight Thibs or any other coach. Just started from the top of the standings, took the first 8 names, put 'em up in the poll.

Which is not to imply that either Thibs or McHale didn't coach on a level that's worthy of COY consideration simply because they're further down in the standings. But recent historical precedent does not bode well for the likelihood that they'll win. Only one coach with under 50 wins has won the award since 2000-01 (Sam Mitchell in 2007), and in only 4 of those 12 seasons did a coach with a record under .683 win it. Whether it's fair or not (and I actually tend to think it isn't), there is a strong voting bias in favor of the coaches at the top of the standings.

iFYouSeekAmy
04-12-2013, 04:52 AM
Mark Jackson

Auseranami
04-12-2013, 05:36 AM
It should be George Karl. Iggy is the only star on the team (Lawson isn't quite there yet) and they are 3rd seed in the west. That's pretty god damn impressive. Spo will probably get it tho

SportsFanatic10
04-12-2013, 09:40 AM
whoever wins it will probably get canned shortly after lol.

4milesperday
04-12-2013, 09:43 AM
George Karl? Before the season started the Nuggets were projected to have the best record in west but somehow it's a surprise they are doing well? I'll go with Mark Jackson or Eric Spoelstra...

JiffyMix88
04-12-2013, 09:55 AM
I think Frank will win it but with what Tom has been through this year IDK how he can't be considered a candidate.

setman2000
04-12-2013, 10:02 AM
George Karl? Before the season started the Nuggets were projected to have the best record in west but somehow it's a surprise they are doing well? I'll go with Mark Jackson or Eric Spoelstra...

By who? Nice ignorant statement with nothing to back it up.

ThaDubs
04-12-2013, 10:10 AM
Not even a mention for MJ? smh

mjm07
04-12-2013, 10:12 AM
COY is Mark Jackson, hands down.

Although, Spo/Karl are worthy nominees.

Blitzbolt
04-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Lionel Hollins he lost 6 players with all the trades the new owners did yet he got the new team together and has the 4th best record in the West with the number 1 defense.

xxplayerxx23
04-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Marc Jackson.

True Sports Fan
04-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Mark Jackson. Turned that team from a lotto team to a playoff team. Karl and popp have also done an outstanding job as usual

4milesperday
04-12-2013, 10:27 AM
By who? Nice ignorant statement with nothing to back it up.

go look up hollingers prediction you then come back

Gators123
04-12-2013, 10:53 AM
Karl

kdspurman
04-12-2013, 11:02 AM
I'd say Karl.

bowieinspace
04-12-2013, 11:06 AM
Del Negro... Lol. He's getting fired.

Swashcuff
04-12-2013, 11:15 AM

By whom?

Swashcuff
04-12-2013, 11:21 AM

Didn't know that ONE MAN predicting that the Nuggets having the 2nd best record in the West means that they were going to have the best record in the West. Hollinger's predictions didn't take into consideration that Lawson would start off horribly slow, Faried wouldn't really grow in his second, Gallo would miss the remainder of the season etc

Swashcuff
04-12-2013, 11:23 AM
I went with Pop because quite frankly I think he should win it every year but in actuality I can live with Karl since he's probably the best candidate out there. Also what's the argument for Mark Jackson over McHale?

TheNumber37
04-12-2013, 11:24 AM
Karl...
But Woodson should get more love. He has the Knicks winning the Atlantic, 50 games and the 2 seed. NO ONE had the Knicks doing this well. I'm actually sure the expectations for the Nuggets were higher.

I Rock Shaqs
04-12-2013, 11:27 AM
WHy didn't anybody vote for Greg Popavich???

Chronz
04-12-2013, 11:31 AM

Didn't know that ONE MAN predicting that the Nuggets having the 2nd best record in the West means that they were going to have the best record in the West. Hollinger's predictions didn't take into consideration that Lawson would start off horribly slow, Faried wouldn't really grow in his second, Gallo would miss the remainder of the season etc
Lots of quantitative guys expected the Nugs to be great, and if the guys using objective tools are agreeing, its fair to say expectations were high.

I put less stock in subjective based arguments. Wonder where Vegas had the nuggs, care to check?

Point being, why should ANYONE be surprised by their success when their talent was so evident?

kdspurman
04-12-2013, 11:43 AM

How could you say that about Karl but then say Spoelstra when Miami was projected to be #1 in the East?

torocan
04-12-2013, 11:44 AM
I think it depends on what you think the basis of the Award should be... ie, consistent high performance or performance beyond reasonable expectation.

On the top end, you have to look at Pops, Karl, Spoelstra and Brooks. Their teams have all remained remarkably consistent this year, though if you discard Pops (who you could name coach of the year Every year and not get too many arguments), then I think it's either Spoelstra (win streak) or Karl. I would be okay with either one.

I can't really put a nod on Woodson as he had that terrible streak of .500 ball for months.

As for the beating expectations, then I think it has to be between Mark Jackson and McHale. Both competing for the 6th seed when many had them as lottery or at best bubble teams. GSW has really gelled this year, McHale is working with the youngest team in the NBA and a near complete roster turnover (13/15), with the least experienced in terms of NBA minutes played in NBA history. I think McHale probably gets the nod on this one.

So, pick any of those 4 (or Pops) and I'm okay with it.

ManRam
04-12-2013, 11:53 AM
i think spo will win, and i'm fine with that, but i'd vote karl. bu even that i'm not too thrilled about.

a lot of smart people actually projected denver to do better than they ultimately will do. but still, i think i'd give him the slight edge.

JasonJohnHorn
04-12-2013, 12:03 PM
I think there are a lot of great options this year for COY. It is usually the most interesting of the awards because there are always several guys who really deserve it (look at Jerry Sloan, a HOF coach who never won COY?).

So...

Pop: The Spurs have the best record in the west (or at least the second best depending on how the season turns out). Everybody thought they were 'too old' and they've been plagued by injuries, but Pop always gets the most out of his team. Will he win it? No. Voters hate voting for people who have already been recognized unless they break a record of some sort, but there is no doubt in my mind that no coach did a better job than Pop and few, if any, did as good a job. But when you display such greatness every year, but become immune to it.

Mark Jackson: Looking at what the Warriors did this year, after the season they had last year ( and some of the injuries that have set them back. Going from a 34% winning percentage to a 56% winning percentage is a great turnaround.

Mike Woodson: The Knicks also had a big turnaround and will be division champs for the first time this century! It was 1994 when the Knicks last won a division title. And considering the injuries that the Knicks have had....

Thibs: Just wow. With limited offensive options, the departure of some key bench players and the injuries that this team has endured, the fact that they are in the playoffs is a miracle. It is a testament to Thibs and the work ethic of the players on the roster.

Vogel: Winning the division title when the best player on your team has been injured on year? Again, a combination of the coach and the work ethic of the players.

Those are the guys at the top of my list. I think Brooks, Spo and Karl are all legit contenders, but I think Spo and Brooks have a higher bar set for them because of the talent on their teams, while Karl... well.... he's been coaching this team for almost a decade. 54 is the most wins he's gotten with this team. He has done a great job, but for me this is more an example of: It's about time; and not: Wow! What a great job. He's only gotten this team home-court advantage twice in 9 season, and this is the second time. Yes, he has done a good job this year, and one that warrant consideration for COY, but he's not on the top of my list.

4milesperday
04-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Give Spo his credit guys, what other coach can lead a team with worst rebounding in league to best record?

kdspurman
04-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Give Spo his credit guys, what other coach can lead a team with worst rebounding in league to best record?

I'm not saying he doesn't give credit, but I asked the question in the sense that you want to give Spo to award for the exact same reason you didn't want to give it to Karl.

justinnum1
04-12-2013, 12:17 PM
Karl...
But Woodson should get more love. He has the Knicks winning the Atlantic, 50 games and the 2 seed. NO ONE had the Knicks doing this well. I'm actually sure the expectations for the Nuggets were higher.

Lmao! Woodson belongs no where bear coy list.

Karl or Jackson deserve it.

kdspurman
04-12-2013, 12:18 PM

When you look at the improvement from last year, to this year, despite the injuries.... Saying he belongs no where near the COY list is a bit of a stretch....

MrfadeawayJB
04-12-2013, 12:20 PM
Homer Pick with Hollins

*Grizz are battling for the 3rd seed in a stacked western conference
*Endured injuries from key reserves most of the seasn
*Made a blockbuster trade midseason (trading away what some will consider the best player on the team)

todu82
04-12-2013, 12:39 PM
George Karl.

Swashcuff
04-12-2013, 12:52 PM
Lots of quantitative guys expected the Nugs to be great, and if the guys using objective tools are agreeing, its fair to say expectations were high.

I put less stock in subjective based arguments. Wonder where Vegas had the nuggs, care to check?

Point being, why should ANYONE be surprised by their success when their talent was so evident?

No one is surprised with their success, remember this is not the What Were Their Expectations to Where they are now award, this is the COY award based on the job in which the head coach did given what he had to work with.

Expectations don't take into account all the variables Karl (or any coach for that matter) had to deal with over the course of the season so IMO that in itself should not be the sole measuring stick used to ascertain which coach is more worthy than another. The ability of the coach to get the most out of what he has to work with is what should be a bigger deciding factor than if his team lived up to what was expected of them with everyone contributing as per norm and completely healthy.

DDynO
04-12-2013, 12:55 PM
Where's Mark Jackson on this list?

tp13baby
04-12-2013, 01:26 PM

What? haha The Heat wasn't supposed to be number one in the east? Hollinger was the only one who thought Denver would win the west. But PSD so many people had Denver missing the playoffs. George Karl should win.

OceanSpray
04-12-2013, 01:29 PM
Even though Spo has the luxury of LeBron and Wade, he's my coach of the year. The fact that he can still get his players motivated and achieved the best record is outstanding. He's won games without his best players and has done a great job controlling the team.

king4day
04-12-2013, 02:12 PM
Woodson. He helped lead a team that had pretty much everyone injured for a lengthy period of time to a 50+ win season.

Chronz
04-12-2013, 02:17 PM
Homer Pick with Hollins

*Grizz are battling for the 3rd seed in a stacked western conference
*Endured injuries from key reserves most of the seasn
*Made a blockbuster trade midseason (trading away what some will consider the best player on the team)
Disagree, that trade improved the team, a trade he was vehemently against. Your FO deserves more credit than your coach. If it wasnt for that trade, I doubt Conley ever gets the aggressive mindset hes developed, or the green light.

Chronz
04-12-2013, 02:29 PM
No one is surprised with their success,
Then you shouldn't have bolded that part of his post where he clearly states, "we are suppose to be surprised?"

remember this is not the What Were Their Expectations to Where they are now award, this is the COY award based on the job in which the head coach did given what he had to work with.
Spare me the strawmen, expectations weight heavily on the award. This is an undeniable fact and its all I was saying.

Expectations don't take into account all the variables Karl (or any coach for that matter) had to deal with over the course of the season so IMO that in itself should not be the sole measuring stick used to ascertain which coach is more worthy than another.
Agreed, doesn't change the fact that its a huge factor. And I'm not all that impressed by a coach with such great depth/talent doing as good as it should have.

The ability of the coach to get the most out of what he has to work with is what should be a bigger deciding factor than if his team lived up to what was expected of them with everyone contributing as per norm and completely healthy. wat?
I dont think anyone makes projections with the idea that every team stays completely healthy with no one ever getting injured, Denver was thought so highly of because of ALL the teams in the league, they had the best chance to withstand injuries/slumps.

FYL_McVeezy
04-12-2013, 02:29 PM
I think Woodson should be coach of the year.... we were decimated by injuries this season and we righted the ship to get to 50+ wins and #2 in the east

Karl is another excellent candidate for COY.....what he did with a squad of role players....very good role players but role players nonetheless....wouldn't be mad at all if he wins...

Spo, Popovich, and Thibs are deserving as well.....Mark Jackson trails a lil bit behind them....

VendettaRed07
04-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Its Mark Jackson

Chronz
04-12-2013, 02:35 PM

What? haha The Heat wasn't supposed to be number one in the east? Hollinger was the only one who thought Denver would win the west. But PSD so many people had Denver missing the playoffs. George Karl should win.

Hollinger wasnt alone and I feel sorry for anyone dumb enough to think Denver would miss the playoffs.

LOL at you thinking your average PSDer should be the gauge for expectations over several guys who actually put effort into their projections. Particularly when one analyst was recently hired to help run a damn team.

People in the know expected great things from Denver, so if the crux of your argument is that they should have missed the playoffs or that they are some sort of surprise team, you better think of something factual

Chronz
04-12-2013, 02:36 PM
I think Woodson should be coach of the year.... we were decimated by injuries this season and we righted the ship to get to 50+ wins and #2 in the east

Karl is another excellent candidate for COY.....what he did with a squad of role players....very good role players but role players nonetheless....wouldn't be mad at all if he wins...

Spo, Popovich, and Thibs are deserving as well.....Mark Jackson trails a lil bit behind them....
Woodson has really caught my attention this year as a strategist. Solid vote

NYKNYGNYY
04-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Thibs , Jackson , Karl ...

Chronz
04-12-2013, 02:40 PM
I went with Pop because quite frankly I think he should win it every year but in actuality I can live with Karl since he's probably the best candidate out there. Also what's the argument for Mark Jackson over McHale?
McHale? Maybe as a motivator but his schemes are very simplistic. I think he and Mark have equally good cases, I'm leaning abit towards MJ here

FYL_McVeezy
04-12-2013, 02:41 PM

Can't you put your trolling aside for one minute?

FYL_McVeezy
04-12-2013, 02:42 PM
Woodson has really caught my attention this year as a strategist. Solid vote

he's very underrated as a strategist...

ManningToTyree
04-12-2013, 02:46 PM
Jackson

Chronz
04-12-2013, 03:57 PM
Lots of coaches deserve COY, who stands out the most is simply a matter of opinion, I honestly wouldn't know how to separate a coaches impact from his players, and I highly doubt anyone else does either. GK is a good coach, one of the best, but he has a swiss army knife of a team, he deserves credit for making it work, I just dont see how that equals a COY.

Chronz
04-12-2013, 04:00 PM
I think there are a lot of great options this year for COY. It is usually the most interesting of the awards because there are always several guys who really deserve it (look at Jerry Sloan, a HOF coach who never won COY?).

So...

Pop: The Spurs have the best record in the west (or at least the second best depending on how the season turns out). Everybody thought they were 'too old' and they've been plagued by injuries, but Pop always gets the most out of his team. Will he win it? No. Voters hate voting for people who have already been recognized unless they break a record of some sort, but there is no doubt in my mind that no coach did a better job than Pop and few, if any, did as good a job. But when you display such greatness every year, but become immune to it.

Mark Jackson: Looking at what the Warriors did this year, after the season they had last year ( and some of the injuries that have set them back. Going from a 34% winning percentage to a 56% winning percentage is a great turnaround.

Mike Woodson: The Knicks also had a big turnaround and will be division champs for the first time this century! It was 1994 when the Knicks last won a division title. And considering the injuries that the Knicks have had....

Thibs: Just wow. With limited offensive options, the departure of some key bench players and the injuries that this team has endured, the fact that they are in the playoffs is a miracle. It is a testament to Thibs and the work ethic of the players on the roster.

Vogel: Winning the division title when the best player on your team has been injured on year? Again, a combination of the coach and the work ethic of the players.

Those are the guys at the top of my list. I think Brooks, Spo and Karl are all legit contenders, but I think Spo and Brooks have a higher bar set for them because of the talent on their teams, while Karl... well.... he's been coaching this team for almost a decade. 54 is the most wins he's gotten with this team. He has done a great job, but for me this is more an example of: It's about time; and not: Wow! What a great job. He's only gotten this team home-court advantage twice in 9 season, and this is the second time. Yes, he has done a good job this year, and one that warrant consideration for COY, but he's not on the top of my list.
Its crapshoot to choose anyone when all coaches are pretty similar.

COY is funny because it almost never gos to the best coach, rather who has the biggest surprise turnaround or something. If I had a vote Id prolly give it to Pop like every year.

LAKobeBryant
04-12-2013, 04:02 PM
Coach D'Antoni

He wants to be the first team to win the championship with the 8th seed. Beating the 70 win season is too easy for him, he wants to challenge himself.

ILLUSIONIST^248
04-12-2013, 04:46 PM
:laugh: Look at all the Heat fans voting for spolstra :laugh:

nickdymez
04-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Even though Spo has the luxury of LeBron and Wade, he's my coach of the year. The fact that he can still get his players motivated and achieved the best record is outstanding. He's won games without his best players and has done a great job controlling the team.

hahahahaha... Classic Heat fan

TopsyTurvy
04-12-2013, 05:34 PM
I voted VDN. His hair remains top notch.

Hurricane H
04-12-2013, 05:37 PM
George Karl for what's he's doing with the Nuggets. Sucks he lost one of his good player.

lol, please
04-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Obviously Mark Jackson.

OceanSpray
04-12-2013, 11:19 PM
hahahahaha... Classic Heat fan

He's not the best coach but what is the criteria for coach of the year? Most wins, second longest streak, keeping his players healthy and still winning games with different rotations. Sorry, I just don't know why this would be a nonsensical candidate. Lot's of people agree. I'd much rather have Doc or Greg coaching Miami.. but to say Spo doesn't deserve it is not correct.

3RDASYSTEM
04-12-2013, 11:59 PM
Who deserves to be named Coach of the Year?

Listed in order of current league standings...

Erik Spoelstra
Scott Brooks
Gregg Popovich
George Karl
Lionel Hollins
Vinny Del Negro
Mike Woodson
Frank Vogel

...or someone else?

Got to roll with SPO or WOODSON

I'd like to see SPO record since that 9-8 fluke(playoffs included)

he'll win it again next yr because I can see BRON looking to reach 70 wins after accomplishing new franchise record in wins

WOODSON is in big time market so it will carry heavy weight in him getting COY and MELO being MVP top 3 lock for next 3yrs

KARL wont win it for same reason MELO didn't win ROY of when he deserved it or at worst co-ROY, NUGGS get no love from media, only negative type like when MELO wanted out

I could be wrong but I doubt it

VicTheWizard
04-13-2013, 12:06 AM
Kevin Mchale