PDA

View Full Version : Kobe's record setting performance last night...WOW.

got dirk?
04-11-2013, 09:20 PM
So the LA Daily stated that Kobe's game last night was the first time a player had ever had those combined stats. I thought it had to be misinformation, but I looked it up on basketball reference and sure enough he's the only player ever to put up

47+ Pts 8+ Rebs 5+ Assists 4+ Blks and 3+ steals.

Kinda cool, kinda random

Dirk came within a few assists once
Oddly Darius Miles needed just the assists
Jordan, LeBron, Wade, Amare, DRob, Webber, and Bird all came within 2-3 blocks with DRob coming the closest one block away.

I'm betting Wilt did it though.

Anyway, how often do we see a first ever and or one and only?

Doogolas
04-11-2013, 09:28 PM
Arbitrary cut offs! YAY!

ChitownBears22
04-11-2013, 09:31 PM
How is this record setting? None of those are records

mightybosstone
04-11-2013, 09:36 PM
Kobe's game last night was phenomenal. I caught the majority of the game and he was otherworldly. But let's not go throwing around the phrase "record setting". If you look through all of Kobe's best regular season games, I doubt you could find 10 better, but that doesn't make it "record setting". You could be the first player to score 39 points without a free throw attempts or have 13 assists without a turnover, but that doesn't make what you did worthy of a record book. The performance will be remembered, for sure, but the numbers themselves set no significant goal and are completely arbitrary.

You could be the first guy to whip your dick out and then make a jump shot on national TV. That doesn't make you special for being the first one to do it.

davids22
04-11-2013, 09:38 PM
Arbitrary cut offs! YAY!

This x100000000000000000000000000

got dirk?
04-11-2013, 09:41 PM
Kobe's game last night was phenomenal. I caught the majority of the game and he was otherworldly. But let's not go throwing around the phrase "record setting". If you look through all of Kobe's best regular season games, I doubt you could find 10 better, but that doesn't make it "record setting". You could be the first player to score 39 points without a free throw attempts or have 13 assists without a turnover, but that doesn't make what you did worthy of a record book. The performance will be remembered, for sure, but the numbers themselves set no significant goal and are completely arbitrary.

You could be the first guy to whip your dick out and then make a jump shot on national TV. That doesn't make you special for being the first one to do it.

Don't like Kobe, eh? I understand.

bleedprple&gold
04-11-2013, 09:47 PM

Huh, every record is arbitrary until it happens? The first person to score 50 points, was that not an arbitrary number that became a record when it happened? The first person to get 30 rebounds, 10 blocks, 20 assists etc...they were all arbitrary numbers still someone did it, then it became a record.

Vinylman
04-11-2013, 09:48 PM
where were all you naysayers in the John Henson thread?

for the record... I am against arbitrary cut offs as can be seen in the other thread

Chronz
04-11-2013, 09:52 PM
Arbitrary as it may be, when the cutoffs are that high for each stat, it shows tremendous versatility and awareness. Its a VERY unique game, doesn't make it historic but definitely memorable.

mightybosstone
04-11-2013, 09:54 PM
Don't like Kobe, eh? I understand.

Huh, every record is arbitrary until it happens? The first person to score 50 points, was that not an arbitrary number that became a record when it happened? The first person to get 30 rebounds, 10 blocks, 20 assists etc...they were all arbitrary numbers still someone did it, then it became a record.

Are you guys ****ing kidding me with this ****?

So, should we have a record book for ever possible stat line? Let's keep track of the guy who had 28 points, 16 rebounds, 7 steals and 8 turnovers or the guy who had 7 points, 7 rebounds, 7 assists, 7 blocks, 7 steals and 7 turnovers, or the first guy who put up 20 and 10 on a Wednesday in November.

You see my point? They're completely arbitrary numbers. If you're going to call something "record setting," it has to be a stat line that people either recognize or has nice round numbers to it. If you approach Kobe's 81, we can talk records. If you approach the "most field goals without a miss" record, we can have that conversation. But if we we're going to call every unusual stat line "record setting," we'd have "record setting" stat lines probably every other day in the NBA.

DallasTrilla23
04-11-2013, 09:57 PM
So the LA Daily stated that Kobe's game last night was the first time a player had ever had those combined stats. I thought it had to be misinformation, but I looked it up on basketball reference and sure enough he's the only player ever to put up

Kinda cool, kinda random

Jordan, LeBron, Wade, Amare, DRob, Webber, and Bird all came within 2-3 blocks with DRob coming the closest one block away.

I'm betting Wilt did that every other night lol

Its still very impressibe.

numba1CHANGsta
04-11-2013, 09:58 PM
Kobe>>>>>>>>>>>everyone else

You're Welcome.

mightybosstone
04-11-2013, 09:58 PM
Arbitrary as it may be, when the cutoffs are that high for each stat, it shows tremendous versatility and awareness. Its a VERY unique game, doesn't make it historic but definitely memorable.

Memorable? Without a doubt. But I seriously doubt we'll be sitting here next season and wondering in the middle of some game in December whether Durant is going to pass Kobe's record-setting 47/8/5/4/3 game, you know? In two years, we won't be talking about how Harden came one block short of Kobe's historic 47/8/5/4/3 game.

amos1er
04-11-2013, 10:00 PM
How is this record setting? None of those are records

The entire stat line was a record. Not that you will appreciate it.

Bruno
04-11-2013, 10:01 PM
he played 48 minutes too.

his game score of 42.8 was his highest since 2/2/2009 when he dropped 61 at MSG.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200902020NYK.html

arguably the best single game he's had since 2009.

bleedprple&gold
04-11-2013, 10:02 PM

So, should we have a record book for ever possible stat line? Let's keep track of the guy who had 28 points, 16 rebounds, 7 steals and 8 turnovers or the guy who had 7 points, 7 rebounds, 7 assists, 7 blocks, 7 steals and 7 turnovers, or the first guy who put up 20 and 10 on a Wednesday in November.

You see my point? They're completely arbitrary numbers. If you're going to call something "record setting," it has to be a stat line that people either recognize or has nice round numbers to it. If you approach Kobe's 81, we can talk records. If you approach the "most field goals without a miss" record, we can have that conversation. But if we we're going to call every unusual stat line "record setting," we'd have "record setting" stat lines probably every other day in the NBA.

Uh we do keep track of it, that's how we know it was record setting. It doesn't happen every day or we would hear about it. Now the numbers individually aren't records, but together they are. Records can be about more than just one stat at a time, contrary to your argument.

amos1er
04-11-2013, 10:03 PM

Yes, if they gave out an award for best individual performance for the season...Kobe would win it for that game. Second place would be the Toronto game where he hit 3 consecutive 3's to send to OT. I just find it hilarious when people try to blame him for the Lakers failure this year. Some people will say anything I guess.

got dirk?
04-11-2013, 10:04 PM

Why don't you like Kobe? He's pretty good.

amos1er
04-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Uh we do keep track of it, that's how we know it was record setting. It doesn't happen every day or we would hear about it. Now the numbers individually aren't records, but together they are. Records can be about more than just one stat at a time, contrary to your argument.

This.

Can't believe people are still hating. Kobe had the best individual performance of the season last night and people can't even appreciate. SMH

amos1er
04-11-2013, 10:08 PM
Why don't you like Kobe? He's pretty good.

Jealousy is my best guess. Can't fathom any other logical reason why. I can understand someone not liking him as a person, but to dis his game at this point is just asinine.

tredigs
04-11-2013, 10:10 PM
Arbitrary cut offs! YAY!

Agree, they can be overplayed, but a triple double is also an arbitrary cutoff too. Those stats though, especially on the ridiculous efficiency (both shooting and just 1 turnover), make for a seriously incredible stat line. ESPN's rater has it at 4th best this season: http://espn.go.com/nba/gameleaders

1. Curry - 54/7/6
2. Lebron - 40/16/8
3. Harden - 46/7/6
4. Kobe's last night.

mightybosstone
04-11-2013, 10:11 PM

I guarantee you record stat lines happen far more often than you think. For something to technically be a record doesn't mean it has to be a remarkable game, it just has to be unusual and the first time it ever happened. If no one has have scored 17 points on 26 shots with 7 turnovers, but Monta Ellis does it this week, they probably won't talk about it, will they? No. But it would still be a record.

I'm not trying to say that Kobe's game wasn't amazing. Read what I said before you Lakers fans force yourselves into an uproar. I'm just saying it's not something that is historically relevant. One of Kobe's best games of all time? Sure. One of the best games anybody has had all year? Definitely. But will you remember that stat line in 10 years? No. If Durant or Irving up that stat line by one point or one steal a decade from now, will you give a ****? Not likely.

There is a fine line between someone reaching a significant achievement in sports and some arbitrary stat line that a research team pulls together after a game after hours of scouring old box scores from the 60s. I'd expect any intelligent sports fan to be able to recognize the difference between the two.

ztilzer31
04-11-2013, 10:13 PM
Was a great performance against a pretty awful Portland team. Still a great performance last night.

Always thought the Lakers were going to make the playoffs, but they're going to get smashed in the playoffs. Would be a good piece of a big story if the Lakers could somehow make the finals.

However in a couple weeks after the Lakers get swept it's going to be pretty irrelevant. They still just get dominated by the superior teams in this league. They're no longer awful like the beginning of the season, but they'll need another fresh start next year before they can actually compete.

amos1er
04-11-2013, 10:15 PM
he played 48 minutes too.

his game score of 42.8 was his highest since 2/2/2009 when he dropped 61 at MSG.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200902020NYK.html

arguably the best single game he's had since 2009.

Yes, considering his age and years in the league, I would say that not only is it the best game of any active player, it's the best of anyone with the amount of miles Kobe has under his belt. Might even be the best for anyone over the age of 34.

tredigs
04-11-2013, 10:17 PM
I guarantee you record stat lines happen far more often than you think. For something to technically be a record doesn't mean it has to be a remarkable game, it just has to be unusual and the first time it ever happened. If no one has have scored 17 points on 26 shots with 7 turnovers, but Monta Ellis does it this week, they probably won't talk about it, will they? No. But it would still be a record.

I'm not trying to say that Kobe's game wasn't amazing. Read what I said before you Lakers fans force yourselves into an uproar. I'm just saying it's not something that is historically relevant. One of Kobe's best games of all time? Sure. One of the best games anybody has had all year? Definitely. But will you remember that stat line in 10 years? No. If Durant or Irving up that stat line by one point or one steal a decade from now, will you give a ****? Not likely.

There is a fine line between someone reaching a significant achievement in sports and some arbitrary stat line that a research team pulls together after a game after hours of scouring old box scores from the 60s. I'd expect any intelligent sports fan to be able to recognize the difference between the two.

Very much agree with this. But it's just semantics.

Bruno
04-11-2013, 10:19 PM
Agree, they can be overplayed, but a triple double is also an arbitrary cutoff too. Those stats though, especially on the ridiculous efficiency (both shooting and just 1 turnover), make for a seriously incredible stat line. ESPN's rater has it at 4th best this season: http://espn.go.com/nba/gameleaders

1. Curry - 54/7/6
2. Lebron - 40/16/8
3. Harden - 46/7/6
4. Kobe's last night.

nice post.

i knew LBJ had a higher game score against the Kings, but Durant, Paul and Melo haven't had a better single game this season. i didn't think to check Curry, and forgot about Hardens monster game.

amos1er
04-11-2013, 10:20 PM

1. Curry - 54/7/6
2. Lebron - 40/16/8
3. Harden - 46/7/6
4. Kobe's last night.

lol How were any of those better than Kobe's last night...Give me a ****ing break. ESPN is a joke. Second night of a back to back and the Lakers absolutely needed the win. Funny how your statlines fail to account for the fact that he had 4 blocks (more than Dwight) and 3 steals and only one turnover. Not only was his game super clutch and on the second night of a back to back on the road where the Lakers have lost every game this year, it was a stat line the likes of which have never been seen before.

Chronz
04-11-2013, 10:22 PM
Yes, if they gave out an award for best individual performance for the season...Kobe would win it for that game.
It would seem so.

Second place would be the Toronto game where he hit 3 consecutive 3's to send to OT.
Now it gets dicey, that Harden game against OKC was equally dramatic. But these are games that are relying on theatre. In truth, dominating the opposition should be the focus, not barely scraping by against inferior teams.

Bruno
04-11-2013, 10:22 PM
Yes, considering his age and years in the league, I would say that not only is it the best game of any active player, it's the best of anyone with the amount of miles Kobe has under his belt. Might even be the best for anyone over the age of 34.

I'll go out on a limb and say that it's the best single game by a player who's been in the league for 17 years or longer.

34? Maybe. I just checked MJ's game log from '98 and he didn't have a single game with a higher game score. I don't feel like checking the other all time greats though.

amos1er
04-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Very much agree with this. But it's just semantics.

Lets not wipe this game under the rug and pretend like it happens every day, this was a once in a lifetime moment. Find me another player in NBA history over the age of 34 who can come through like that when his team needs him most. Curry, Harden, and Lebron all put up great numbers and all, but they did it in no pressure situations. The true barometer of greatness is to perform well when all the marbles are on the line. I just can't give someone the same credit as Kobe for basic regular season games with nothing on the line.

JasonJohnHorn
04-11-2013, 10:25 PM
It was a great game, no doubt, and the defensive stats were very impressive, but a great many other players had far better all-around games a number of times. It's really just the point total that sets him apart.

Check out these guys who meet, and in MANY cases exceeded (by a large margin) Kobe's all around game. Kobe just scored more points.

Hakeem had a game were he got 12 blocks, 7 steals, 17 rebounds and 6 assists and threw in 38 points to boot. Sure, Kobe outscored him by 9 points but Hakeem got 9 more rebounds, and more assists, and WAY more blocks and steals. Kobe's game is great, no doubt. But thought the combination of scoring and defensive stats puts him in rare company, it wasn't as good as some other guys who scored a few points less.

D-Wade got 46 points one game and matched or exceeded Kobe in the other stats (including 10 assists).

Check out who had similar games since 85 here:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id=&match=game&year_min=&year_max=&age_min=0&age_max=99&team_id=&opp_id=&is_playoffs=N&round_is_eds=Y&round_is_edf=Y&round_is_ec1=Y&round_is_ecs=Y&round_is_ecf=Y&round_is_wds=Y&round_is_wdf=Y&round_is_wc1=Y&round_is_wcs=Y&round_is_wcf=Y&round_is_fin=Y&game_num_type=&game_num_min=&game_num_max=&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&is_starter=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&c1stat=trb&c1comp=gt&c1val=8&c2stat=ast&c2comp=gt&c2val=5&c3stat=blk&c3comp=gt&c3val=4&c4stat=stl&c4comp=gt&c4val=3&order_by=pts

mightybosstone
04-11-2013, 10:28 PM
lol How were any of those better than Kobe's last night...Give me a ****ing break. ESPN is a joke. Second night of a back to back and the Lakers absolutely needed the win. Funny how your statlines fail to account for the fact that he had 4 blocks (more than Dwight) and 3 steals and only one turnover. Not only was his game super clutch and on the second night of a back to back on the road where the Lakers have lost every game this year, it was a stat line the likes of which have never been seen before.

Lol. Dude, you seriously need to get over yourself, because you've become a caricature at this point. Look at Harden's game. He scored only 1 fewer point despite taking 8 fewer shots. He also shot 7/8 from the 3-point line. And if you want to argue the context of the game, how about that he was playing his former team (who happens to have the best record in the West) and helped the Rockets come back from a 14-point deficit with 7 minutes to go in the fourth quarter? I'll take a huge come-from-behind win over the reigning WC champs over a slight victory over a banged up cellar dwellar like Portland any day.

And Curry put up 54/6/7/3 in Madison Square Garden in a duel with Melo they almost won. Oh.... and all Lebron did was score 40 points while dishing out 16 assists in the same game. That's easy to do, right? You guys have got to learn to respect the rest of the league as much as you respect your own players. This **** is getting downright ridiculous.

ztilzer31
04-11-2013, 10:29 PM
It was a great game, no doubt, and the defensive stats were very impressive, but a great many other players had far better all-around games a number of times. It's really just the point total that sets him apart.

Check out these guys who meet, and in MANY cases exceeded (by a large margin) Kobe's all around game. Kobe just scored more points.

Hakeem had a game were he got 12 blocks, 7 steals, 17 rebounds and 6 assists and threw in 38 points to boot. Sure, Kobe outscored him by 9 points but Hakeem got 9 more rebounds, and more assists, and WAY more blocks and steals. Kobe's game is great, no doubt. But thought the combination of scoring and defensive stats puts him in rare company, it wasn't as good as some other guys who scored a few points less.

D-Wade got 46 points one game and matched or exceeded Kobe in the other stats (including 10 assists).

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id=&match=game&year_min=&year_max=&age_min=0&age_max=99&team_id=&opp_id=&is_playoffs=N&round_is_eds=Y&round_is_edf=Y&round_is_ec1=Y&round_is_ecs=Y&round_is_ecf=Y&round_is_wds=Y&round_is_wdf=Y&round_is_wc1=Y&round_is_wcs=Y&round_is_wcf=Y&round_is_fin=Y&game_num_type=&game_num_min=&game_num_max=&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&is_starter=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&c1stat=trb&c1comp=gt&c1val=8&c2stat=ast&c2comp=gt&c2val=5&c3stat=blk&c3comp=gt&c3val=4&c4stat=stl&c4comp=gt&c4val=3&order_by=pts

Hakeem=Greatest Center of all time.

Chronz
I'll go out on a limb and say that it's the best single game by a player who's been in the league for 17 years or longer.

34? Maybe. I just checked MJ's game log from '98 and he didn't have a single game with a higher game score. I don't feel like checking the other all time greats though.

Ill see if I can find a better game from MJ at that age

mightybosstone
Lets not wipe this game under the rug and pretend like it happens every day, this was a once in a lifetime moment. Find me another player in NBA history over the age of 34 who can come through like that when his team needs him most. Curry, Harden, and Lebron all put up great numbers and all, but they did it in no pressure situations. The true barometer of greatness is to perform well when all the marbles are on the line. I just can't give someone the same credit as Kobe for basic regular season games with nothing on the line.

Are you ****ing kidding me? Harden did it facing the ****ing Thunder and had a monster fourth quarter, which helped them overcome a 14-point deficit. And Curry put up 54 points in MSG, the biggest stage of all NBA stages. Don't give me this **** about "no pressure situations." You clearly have no clue of what pressure is with the way you're completely diminishing these amazing performances by other players.

amos1er
04-11-2013, 10:35 PM
It would seem so.

Yes, thanks for recognizing this.

Now it gets dicey, that Harden game against OKC was equally dramatic. But these are games that are relying on theatre. In truth, dominating the opposition should be the focus, not barely scraping by against inferior teams.

Yes, Toronto should have been a blow by for the Lakers and pretty disappointing that they struggled so much. But I have to give it up anyways, just for the way Kobe carried the team on his back. No one stepped up at all and he literally carried them to an improbable win. Great theater win more than dominance for sure, but theater is more memorable IMO. Reminded me of the T-Mac game against the Spurs back in 2006. Though T-Macs was better for sure...it was in that realm to me.

amos1er
04-11-2013, 10:36 PM
Are you ****ing kidding me? Harden did it facing the ****ing Thunder and had a monster fourth quarter, which helped them overcome a 14-point deficit. And Curry put up 54 points in MSG, the biggest stage of all NBA stages. Don't give me this **** about "no pressure situations." You clearly have no clue of what pressure is with the way you're completely diminishing these amazing performances by other players.

I am not diminishing them at all. I am just saying that they were not as impressive to me. Obviously you are a Harden fan and I can respect that. We all have our opinions.

Vinylman
04-11-2013, 10:37 PM

pot or kettle? check your first post...

not agreeing with amos1er but if you can't just say something positive about a performance like this then you really are just trolling...

PSD NBA is a sad place

amos1er
04-11-2013, 10:40 PM

Bet you wont find another 34 year old who had a game like that. Let alone when his team needed him most.

amos1er
04-11-2013, 10:41 PM
pot or kettle? check your first post...

not agreeing with amos1er but if you can't just say something positive about a performance like this then you really are just trolling...

PSD NBA is a sad place

Thanks...I think.

amos1er
04-11-2013, 10:50 PM
Lol. Dude, you seriously need to get over yourself, because you've become a caricature at this point. Look at Harden's game. He scored only 1 fewer point despite taking 8 fewer shots. He also shot 7/8 from the 3-point line. And if you want to argue the context of the game, how about that he was playing his former team (who happens to have the best record in the West) and helped the Rockets come back from a 14-point deficit with 7 minutes to go in the fourth quarter? I'll take a huge come-from-behind win over the reigning WC champs over a slight victory over a banged up cellar dwellar like Portland any day.

And Curry put up 54/6/7/3 in Madison Square Garden in a duel with Melo they almost won. Oh.... and all Lebron did was score 40 points while dishing out 16 assists in the same game. That's easy to do, right? You guys have got to learn to respect the rest of the league as much as you respect your own players. This **** is getting downright ridiculous.

Great game for Harden for sure...Would be more impressive to me if it were in a clutch moment though. That to me is what truly makes someone great...how you perform when your team needs you most. Would love to see if Harden could have a game like that in a pressure situation. We have yet to see that, and Kobe is a time tested and proven again and again. So far I wasn't impressed with what I saw from Harden in last years finals, so as far as pressure situations, he still has a lot to prove. No dis, great player and I'm sure he will come through eventually. I guess you could make an argument that Hardens game against OKC was on par if not better than Kobe's against Toronto, but it would be a joke to compare it to his performance last night.

odiz
04-11-2013, 10:50 PM
Yes, thanks for recognizing this.

Yes, Toronto should have been a blow by for the Lakers and pretty disappointing that they struggled so much. But I have to give it up anyways, just for the way Kobe carried the team on his back. No one stepped up at all and he literally carried them to an improbable win. Great theater win more than dominance for sure, but theater is more memorable IMO. Reminded me of the T-Mac game against the Spurs back in 2006. Though T-Macs was better for sure...it was in that realm to me.

For the record, im a big Kobe fan. But he had 9 turnovers in that game against a pretty bad Toronto team. Really doesnt belong in the same discussion with Harden, Kobe, Currys best games this year.

LongWayFromHome
04-11-2013, 10:51 PM
Bet you wont find another 34 year old who had a game like that. Let alone when his team needed him most.

How long did you work on getting rid of your gag reflex?

KobeOwnSU
04-11-2013, 10:55 PM

If you look it up, he is not lying. There are not many, if any, stat lines better then the one Kobe put up last night for a player of 34 years of age or older.

NYKNYGNYY
04-11-2013, 10:57 PM
Cool story bro...

amos1er
04-11-2013, 10:57 PM

Wow. Very funny guy. Based on this little zinger, I can safely say that your wit is on par with a prepubescent street thug.

amos1er
04-11-2013, 10:58 PM
If you look it up, he is not lying. There are not many, if any, stat lines better then the one Kobe put up last night for a player of 34 years of age or older.

Thanks bro...Dullards like him are not worth the energy it takes for your fingers to type a response.

amos1er
04-11-2013, 11:00 PM
For the record, im a big Kobe fan. But he had 9 turnovers in that game against a pretty bad Toronto team. Really doesnt belong in the same discussion with Harden, Kobe, Currys best games this year.

Depends on if you value theatrics or domination more. I tend to value theatrics. I can't remember the last time I was on the edge of my seat like that. Truly a great Laker moment.

b@llhog24
04-11-2013, 11:07 PM

Lol

Doogolas
04-11-2013, 11:29 PM

Agreed. I just mean calling it "record setting" is what's silly. I love Kobe to death. I just hate arbitrary cut-offs.

Toxeryll
04-11-2013, 11:34 PM
psh.. okaay, lame thread

Aust
04-11-2013, 11:40 PM
That's never been done before?? Hmm, I thought that included with the 18/18 FT was why it had never been done before.

mngopher35
04-12-2013, 12:28 AM
Great game for Harden for sure...Would be more impressive to me if it were in a clutch moment though. That to me is what truly makes someone great...how you perform when your team needs you most. Would love to see if Harden could have a game like that in a pressure situation. We have yet to see that, and Kobe is a time tested and proven again and again. So far I wasn't impressed with what I saw from Harden in last years finals, so as far as pressure situations, he still has a lot to prove. No dis, great player and I'm sure he will come through eventually. I guess you could make an argument that Hardens game against OKC was on par if not better than Kobe's against Toronto, but it would be a joke to compare it to his performance last night.

Why would that be a joke? I get that it was a clutch performance because the lakers needed the win but that alone shouldn't make it better. Then factor in that it was against a non playoff team (with nothing to play for) missing 3 starters. It was a phenomenal game by kobe but it isn't a joke to say a different game is better by any means.

Personally I think Harden had a better game vs okc. We are talking about playing his former team, the western conference champions and putting on a clinic. He had almost identical raw stats compared to kobe (kobe's were better though) but had insane efficiency while scoring. He scored 1 less point but 8 less shots and 6 less free throws (lets call that about 10 possessions less) to easily make up for the slight difference in raw stats. When you factor in the much better team, no injuries, and the thunder have a reason to play the game I don't see why that performance can't be seen as better or at least equal. You mentioned above you like theatrics, well in the rockets thunder game they were down like 10 with 6 minutes left as well. Once again it was an amazing game by kobe and one of the best games this year, but it is definitely at least comparable to other games this season.

jerellh528
04-12-2013, 02:28 AM
Kobe is a legend.

naps
04-12-2013, 02:59 AM
Tremendous all-round game. But how is this record setting? You can make threads like this with arbitrary cut-offs plenty of times in a season. Pretty sure players like Wilt/Big O did it plenty of times.

THE MTL
04-12-2013, 04:20 AM

Kinda cool, kinda random

Its an amazing game but its not some wowing record. Players in the past have done something similar but because they miss 1 block or steal they give Kobe the record. Its ******** and you can create scenarios like this are almost every great performance.

47+pts (are u serious?)....making 47 pts the min.
8+ rebounds, 3 steals, 4 blocks.......like comeon now....are we serious.

Next its going to be first player ever to score 50pts 10rebs 4 assists 3 steals 1 block 50%FG and 40% 3pt while only committing 2 turnovers. You basically just keep extending the stat line till you're the only player left.

bloomis1307
04-12-2013, 09:47 AM
Who is 34+, named Kobe Bryant, and on a night where there was a full moon

Its an amazing game but its not some wowing record. Players in the past have done something similar but because they miss 1 block or steal they give Kobe the record. Its ******** and you can create scenarios like this are almost every great performance.

Next its going to be first player ever to score 50pts 10rebs 4 assists 3 steals 1 block 50%FG and 40% 3pt while only committing 2 turnovers. You basically just keep extending the stat line till you're the only player left.

thenaj17
04-12-2013, 09:54 AM

I'm a massive Kobe fan but this x2

setman2000
04-12-2013, 10:18 AM
Before the case was scheduled to go to trial, his accuser filed a civil lawsuit against Bryant over the incident. The two sides ultimately settled that lawsuit, with specific terms of the settlement being undisclosed to the public. Bryant did, however, issue the following statement through his attorney, as part of an agreement with the accuser to dismiss the sexual assault charge:

First, I want to apologize directly to the young woman involved in this incident. I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year. Although this year has been incredibly difficult for me personally, I can only imagine the pain she has had to endure. I also want to apologize to her parents and family members, and to my family and friends and supporters, and to the citizens of Eagle, Colo.

I also want to make it clear that I do not question the motives of this young woman. No money has been paid to this woman. She has agreed that this statement will not be used against me in the civil case. Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.

I issue this statement today fully aware that while one part of this case ends today, another remains. I understand that the civil case against me will go forward. That part of this case will be decided by and between the parties directly involved in the incident and will no longer be a financial or emotional drain on the citizens of the state of Colorado.

Sly Guy
04-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Arbitrary cut offs! YAY!

this. Nice performance, but everyone sets a record these days.

Blitzbolt
04-12-2013, 10:32 AM
Stats look good after you play Portland who is using 4 rookies usually good team blow them out early but nah LA had to fight them with Kobe doing it all.

Hawkeye15
04-12-2013, 10:41 AM
extremely well balanced individual game. Record setting? I guess, to some degree, but Kobe himself has had many better games. Reminds me of Love's 43-17 game with 5/5 three's. Record setting? Sure, cause it's never been done before. But nothing historical will come of it.

Federal Reserve
04-12-2013, 10:45 AM
People will come out with just about any random stat, just so that they can keep Kobe relevant.

zn23
04-12-2013, 06:29 PM
It was definitely one of the top 5 performances of the year.

ILLUSIONIST^248
04-12-2013, 06:37 PM

This.

ILLUSIONIST^248
04-12-2013, 06:47 PM
lol How were any of those better than Kobe's last night...Give me a ****ing break. ESPN is a joke. Second night of a back to back and the Lakers absolutely needed the win. Funny how your statlines fail to account for the fact that he had 4 blocks (more than Dwight) and 3 steals and only one turnover. Not only was his game super clutch and on the second night of a back to back on the road where the Lakers have lost every game this year, it was a stat line the likes of which have never been seen before.Nice post.

Before the case was scheduled to go to trial, his accuser filed a civil lawsuit against Bryant over the incident. The two sides ultimately settled that lawsuit, with specific terms of the settlement being undisclosed to the public. Bryant did, however, issue the following statement through his attorney, as part of an agreement with the accuser to dismiss the sexual assault charge:

“ First, I want to apologize directly to the young woman involved in this incident. I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year. Although this year has been incredibly difficult for me personally, I can only imagine the pain she has had to endure. I also want to apologize to her parents and family members, and to my family and friends and supporters, and to the citizens of Eagle, Colo.

I also want to make it clear that I do not question the motives of this young woman. No money has been paid to this woman. She has agreed that this statement will not be used against me in the civil case. Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.

I issue this statement today fully aware that while one part of this case ends today, another remains. I understand that the civil case against me will go forward. That part of this case will be decided by and between the parties directly involved in the incident and will no longer be a financial or emotional drain on the citizens of the state of Colorado.

Get a life.

It was definitely one of the top 5 performances of the year.

This.

ThaDubs
04-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Will Barton started...

ILLUSIONIST^248
04-12-2013, 07:03 PM
Will Barton started...

Want to make some sort of bet on tonight game?

LAcowBOMBER
04-12-2013, 07:12 PM
People will come out with just about any random stat, just so that they can keep Kobe relevant.

That performance and his performance all year make Kobe relevant. Even if you don't want to call it record setting, which I'm fine with, don't act like a top 5 player in this league needs to be kept relevant by a PSD thread. It may not be a "real record" but it was a pretty damn impressive game at a critical point in the season for his team.

PSD, where no thread about Kobe or Lebron can exist without multiple posts talking about how overrated they are