PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia 76ers want Doug Collins to resign as HC

SteBO
04-11-2013, 04:41 PM
The Philadelphia 76ers are in a situation that everyone associated with the NBA anticipated coming years in an advance, which is kind of weird for a team that wasn’t even able to field its best player for a single minute in 2012-13. On Thursday, a couple of league sources floated a hunch to Philadelphia Inquirer columnist Bob Ford that paints the team as a-wishin’ and a-hopin’ that Collins walks away from the last year of his contract following this disastrous season, leaving $4.5 million on the table.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/philadelphia-76ers-want-doug-collins-resign-head-coach-201502205--nba.html%23

xxplayerxx23
04-11-2013, 04:43 PM
Wow. I like him think he's a heck of a coach, don't think he fits in with all the young players there. He had a problem if I remember correctly last year with being tough on them. Would be a good fit with lakers or clippers IMO

BigBlueCrew
04-11-2013, 04:43 PM
What a shame. The front office give him a crappy deal to start off the season and now they want him to resign. Better off for him and his nerves.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
04-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Their loss...

shep33
04-11-2013, 05:08 PM
I'd like to see him coach a really talented team. Please come to LA

OceanSpray
04-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Great coach who has to suffer because Bynum is a joke of a player. Bynum is such a mockery of the NBA. Doug Collins was a top candidate for coach of the year and was forced to coach for a team that traded away two of their best players.. What a joke!

Lakers + Giants
04-11-2013, 05:43 PM
I'd like to see him coach a really talented team. Please come to LA

:nod:

**** Antoni. Bring in Doug Collins! :jumpy:

Nevermind, you said talented team, not mediocre, we don't stand a chance then. :laugh2: :sigh:

Knowledge
04-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Bob Ford is not a reliable source. I wouldn't mind Collins leaving, actually I would support it, but I'm not going to take this report too seriously.

Knowledge
04-11-2013, 05:56 PM
If Doug Collins does not return to coach the Philadelphia 76ers next season, it won’t be because the Sixers want him out, according to a league source as well as Collins' agent.

The source said the Sixers are completely supportive of Collins as he heads into the last season of his contract as the team's head coach.

This comes contrary to a story published in the Philadelphia Inquirer, which, citing league sources, claims that the team “privately hopes that [Collins] decides not to return for the 2013-14 season.”

The Sixers, through team spokesperson, chose not to respond to the report. Collins' agent John Langel did respond, telling Phillyburbs.com that Collins is in control of his future with the team.

“The relationship with Doug, me and Sixers management has been terrific,” Langel said. “What they told me beyond this season and as recently as today and yesterday is how long Doug stays here is Doug’s decision.”

Collins is signed through the 2013-14 season after the team picked up the fourth-year option on his contract just before training camp. Additionally, Collins also has had input in personnel matters with the team, along with general manager Tony DiLeo and team president Rod Thorn.

The source said the Sixers never had discussions about replacing Collins. Accordingly, Aron told CSNPhilly.com in an interview in March that the Sixers hoped Collins would coach the team for many years.

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-sixers/source-if-collins-doesnt-return-it-will-be-his-decision

Finger is a better source.

bholly
04-11-2013, 06:03 PM
I hadn't thought about it before, but I would sort of love to see him coaching this Laker team. One more strong personality in the mix, and I'd love to see what their offense turns out like.

Chronz
04-11-2013, 06:06 PM
Collins, Hollins and Scott are 3 coaches I hope get axed soon. Too old school

Knowledge
04-11-2013, 06:11 PM
Collins, Hollins and Scott are 3 coaches I hope get axed soon. Too old school

I love you and everything you stand for.

gwrighter
04-11-2013, 06:13 PM
Man, what's wrong with this guy as a coach. Throughout his coaching career his teams have performed well but he's never been able to hold a job for longer than 3 seasons. What is it with his coaching style that eventually makes the organizations turn on him? Can any Philly/Bulls/Det fan enlighten me on this?

SteBO
04-11-2013, 06:26 PM
Man, what's wrong with this guy as a coach. Throughout his coaching career his teams have performed well but he's never been able to hold a job for longer than 3 seasons. What is it with his coaching style that eventually makes the organizations turn on him? Can any Philly/Bulls/Det fan enlighten me on this?
Yeah his style of coaching just really wears on people.....it's the same knock people had on Pat Riley when he was coaching.

LAKobeBryant
04-11-2013, 06:28 PM
trade for dantoni :D?

gwrighter
04-11-2013, 06:33 PM
Yeah his style of coaching just really wears on people.....it's the same knock people had on Pat Riley when he was coaching.

That's unfortunate because his style does produce results. Maybe his style is better suited for the NCAA.

LayBraun
04-11-2013, 07:28 PM
They should ask all their FO execs to leave cause they are the ones who put such a scrub team together.

Chronz
04-11-2013, 07:34 PM

I always got the feeling that he was a yes man to his stars and abit of a dick to everyone else. IIRC, back when Phil first got hired as an assistant for the Bulls, in his very first conversation with Phil, he had practically begged him to phone MJ and get him to play more team ball, the man couldn't tame him himself. Thats probably why MJ brought him back during his Washington days and MJ proceeded to chuck at an All-Time inefficient rate (possibly for the best of the team tho).

Hes also very restrictive and prefers methodical, slow it down games that limit turnovers, but are devoid of creativity. I dont get the feeling hes adapted to the new school approach of bombing away from deep and building a gameplan around that. But if he had Bynum (one of the few old school centers left), it may have been a match made in heaven. I guess he should get a shot with him before getting axed but I've never liked him anywhere else and players bore of him rather quickly.

My thing with coaches who burn out quickly, if your going to hire them, you may as well get those disciplinarians who treat everyone equally and have a proven track record of instilling a defensive mindset that can remain for a few years while you get the big time coach to take you over the hump. A guy like Skiles for example. I think Woodson might have to be on that list (of defensive geniuses) but he may have some real staying power in NY.

I love you and everything you stand for.
Fan of one of those teams I presume?

More-Than-Most
04-11-2013, 07:54 PM
He is a good coach but does some of the dumbest things at times... He refuses to play the better player just because. I love him but his methods are beyond frustrating and how he uses small lineups late in games is hsdvgjs.

Knowledge
04-11-2013, 07:57 PM
I always got the feeling that he was a yes man to his stars and abit of a dick to everyone else. IIRC, back when Phil first got hired as an assistant for the Bulls, in his very first conversation with Phil, he had practically begged him to phone MJ and get him to play more team ball, the man couldn't tame him himself. Thats probably why MJ brought him back during his Washington days and MJ proceeded to chuck at an All-Time inefficient rate (possibly for the best of the team tho).

Hes also very restrictive and prefers methodical, slow it down games that limit turnovers, but are devoid of creativity. I dont get the feeling hes adapted to the new school approach of bombing away from deep and building a gameplan around that. But if he had Bynum (one of the few old school centers left), it may have been a match made in heaven. I guess he should get a shot with him before getting axed but I've never liked him anywhere else and players bore of him rather quickly.

My thing with coaches who burn out quickly, if your going to hire them, you may as well get those disciplinarians who treat everyone equally and have a proven track record of instilling a defensive mindset that can remain for a few years while you get the big time coach to take you over the hump. A guy like Skiles for example. I think Woodson might have to be on that list (of defensive geniuses) but he may have some real staying power in NY.

Fan of one of those teams I presume?

I'm a fan of the 76ers, but I'm also big on teams not hiring retreads, I prefer younger coaches who are more in tune with the times. Coaches who avoid using every possible tool to their advantage, whether it is scouting or statistics, are a massive fail to me.

In my 76ers case, Collins is not a statistic guy (he uses his "gut"), and he has more power than our GM.

2-ONE-5
04-11-2013, 08:50 PM
Love Doug but he is better off going to one of the LA teams if the opportunity came. Looks like we are finally going to rebuild in Philly and Doug wants to win and will always want to so theres no reason to coach this team next year cuz he can only hurt his stock. I wouldnt want to put him through another disastrous season, he doesnt deserve it.

gwrighter
04-12-2013, 10:07 AM

Fair enough, I guess having no all-star in Iggy or Bynum to start the year(though Jrue was then selected) probably wore down the rest of the team. Especially guys like Evan Turner who are still trying to put it all together.