PDA

View Full Version : Yeah, I'll say it..

pedrofan45
04-11-2013, 05:41 AM
Yeah, I think the Lakers can win the finals.... If they can get on a roll. However, it will have nothing to do with Kobe even if he takes the most shots in each game.

Edit: Even though he will.

seikou8
04-11-2013, 05:51 AM
:smoking::no::bs:

John Walls Era
04-11-2013, 05:55 AM
"If they can get on a roll."

Getting on a roll implies winning games. So yes they can make the finals if they're winning games. [Insert NBA team] can win it all if they're winnings games.

setman2000
04-11-2013, 06:09 AM
Yaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwn.

Faneik
04-11-2013, 06:15 AM
Yeah, I think the Lakers can win the finals.... If they can get on a roll. However, it will have nothing to do with Kobe even if he takes the most shots in each game.

only if, suddenly, by some mysterious reason, they'd vastly improve their defense.

c.c.
04-11-2013, 07:29 AM
Yaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwn.

This

GiantsSwaGG
04-11-2013, 07:30 AM
:facepalm:

SportsFanatic10
04-11-2013, 07:36 AM
lol no way

poleandreel
04-11-2013, 08:02 AM
hahahahahahahahahahaahahahaha

poleandreel
04-11-2013, 08:02 AM
is it because they beat the blazers by 8 with victor claver, wil barton, and myers leonard starting? Oh and kobe had the game of his life....

ILLUSIONIST^248
04-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Yup.

Sly Guy
04-11-2013, 11:01 AM
no. They still don't defend....

That being said, incredible performance last night. Anyone looking to conspiracy theories about the lakers squeaking into the playoffs only need to watch a tape of last night's game to see why they're deserving [as much as I hate to admit it]

NYKnickFanatic
04-11-2013, 11:20 AM
:laugh2: Not with D'Antoni.

They might, miiiight be able to upset whoever they play in the first round, but that is verrrry slim.

nickdymez
04-11-2013, 11:30 AM
lol no way

**Arrogant Heat fan alert!!***

nickdymez
04-11-2013, 11:31 AM
is it because they beat the blazers by 8 with victor claver, wil barton, and myers leonard starting? Oh and kobe had the game of his life....

Kobe has games like that all the time. So no, it wasnt the "game of his life".

poleandreel
04-11-2013, 11:36 AM
Kobe has games like that all the time. So no, it wasnt the "game of his life".

No, sorry. Considering he played all 48 minutes on the second night of a back to back and put up a stat line that he had never reached in his career, YOU ARE WRONG.

Nice try though.

Swag Man
04-11-2013, 11:37 AM
Actually this is very realistic. Kobe/Dwight/Pau are starting to mesh and if Gasol continues to play like the 2010 Gasol the Lakers will arguably have the best big 3 in basketball. It all depends on Dantoni if he has the guts to bring Nash off the bench because he doesn't fit well with the starting unit and he plays no defense.

nickdymez
04-11-2013, 11:42 AM
No, sorry. Considering he played all 48 minutes on the second night of a back to back and put up a stat line that he had never reached in his career, YOU ARE WRONG.

Nice try though.

lmao.. A stat line that he has never put up in his career? You mean those EXACT numbers? If you think Kobe's performance last night was the best in his career, or the game of his life, then you have to be 15 years old.

Swashcuff
04-11-2013, 11:58 AM
May be too late to get on a roll but you never know. If Dwight Howard can go on an absolute mean streak with the support he has in Kobe, Pau and possibly Nash the Lakers can sure as hell contend. Dwight is the X-Factor in this whole scenario IMO. They'd have to make the post season 1st however.

poleandreel
04-11-2013, 12:00 PM
lmao.. A stat line that he has never put up in his career? You mean those EXACT numbers? If you think Kobe's performance last night was the best in his career, or the game of his life, then you have to be 15 years old.

You are so clueless it is funny. No, he has never hit those thresholds in the same game. He had 4 blocks, 3 steals, hit all of his almost 20 free throws. Shot way over 50% and only had 1 turnover with a usage rate closer to 70%.

I dont give a **** if scored 81 points, it wasn't as complete of a game as he had last night. You're actually a sad excuse for a dan of basketball.

In fact, nobody in basketball had ever hit those thresholds in a game. It was a very good game....so again, he does not have games like that all the time.

Klivlend
04-11-2013, 12:03 PM
^^^dude, don't waste your time on that chick. it's not worth it.

you're absolutely correct, but it's not worth it.

b@llhog24
04-11-2013, 12:03 PM
Garbage.

nickdymez
04-11-2013, 12:04 PM
You are so clueless it is funny. No, he has never hit those thresholds in the same game. He had 4 blocks, 3 steals, hit all of his almost 20 free throws. Shot way over 50% and only had 1 turnover with a usage rate closer to 70%.

I dont give a **** if scored 81 points, it wasn't as complete of a game as he had last night. You're actually a sad excuse for a dan of basketball.

In fact, nobody in basketball had ever hit those thresholds in a game. It was a very good game....so again, he does not have games like that all the time.

Fine, it was the "Game of his life". You win

nickdymez
04-11-2013, 12:04 PM
^^^dude, don't waste your time on that chick. it's not worth it.

you're absolutely correct, but it's not worth it.

Yea your right too, That was Kobe's best game of his career.

poleandreel
04-11-2013, 12:09 PM
Yea your right too, That was Kobe's best game of his career.

And just for clarification, I did not think it was the best game of his career. However, he does not "have games like that all of the time" like you claimed. It was clearly his best game of the year.

nickdymez
04-11-2013, 12:11 PM
And just for clarification, I did not think it was the best game of his career. However, he does not "have games like that all of the time" like you claimed. It was clearly his best game of the year.

Fine, Kobe doesnt have games like this...

poleandreel
04-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Oh and going by gamescore, it was his best game since 2006-2007 @ 42.8

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bryanko01/gamelog/2013/

koberulesall
04-11-2013, 12:21 PM
the miami heat will win cause thats who the nba wants to win

I Rock Shaqs
Not to be rude, but why the hell do people make these dumb kind of threads thinking their opinion is so important that they need to make a whole thread about it.

ILLUSIONIST^248

Kobe has had much better games in his career, but thanks for letting us know how great he still is. :dance2:

Captain Moroni
04-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Regular season records are not just meaningless preseason games. What actually have the lakers shown all year that would even make the greatest of Laker fans think you could win a seven game series against OKC, Denver, LAC, Spurs, Memphis, or GS?

If the Lakers were A 2-3 seed maybe, but right now you are barely getting by the Hornets and Blazers.

lavilevi23
04-11-2013, 12:39 PM
LMFAO @ this thread

Chronz
04-11-2013, 03:15 PM

Getting on a roll implies winning games. So yes they can make the finals if they're winning games. [Insert NBA team] can win it all if they're winnings games.

Im guilty of using this sometimes too, but I'd say the Lakers "have been on a roll", so the OP should just come out and say they will win it all.

JWO35
04-11-2013, 03:27 PM
It's going to hard winning the finals after getting eliminated in the 1st round...

koreancabbage
04-11-2013, 03:29 PM
It's going to hard winning the finals after getting eliminated in the 1st round...

and then I realized you weren't talking about the Knicks =P hahahaha

FYL_McVeezy
04-11-2013, 03:42 PM

A lil HGH for Metta and D12, Some more Vino for Kobe, and some calls on the red phone from David Stern....sure why not?

mightybosstone
04-11-2013, 04:07 PM
Instead of giving my usual response (which would have been a hearty laugh and a "Hell ****ing No!"), I'll bite for a minute. Any team which gets hot at the right time has a CHANCE to win the NBA Finals. If the Lakers suddenly started playing amazing basketball, they could feasibly have a chance to win it all. Here's why they won't:

1. Only one 8 seed has ever reached the NBA Finals, and the 1999 Knicks lost in five to the Spurs after passing a weak Eastern Conference in a strike-shortened season.

2. The lowest seed to ever win an NBA title was the 1995 Houston Rockets (6th), who only became contenders after dealing Otis Thorpe for Clyde Drexler in the middle of the season.

3. That Rockets team is also the only team to ever win the Finals without having home-court advantage in a single series since the NBA has had 16 playoff teams.

4. The Lakers are 0-2 against the Spurs, 1-3 against the Thunder, 1-3 against the Nuggets, 0-4 against the Clippers and 1-2 against the Grizzlies this season.

5. Of those three wins, none of them was on the road. They will not have home-court advantage against any of those teams (except for the Clippers, sorta).

6. The Lakers have not reached the Western Conference Finals in three years.

7. They were defeated by the Thunder in five games last season. The one win came at home and they lost games 1 and 5 by a combined 45 points. This is the team they will face in the first round.

8. The Lakers are only 16-25 on the road this season. None of the top five seeds in the Western Conference has lost 10 games at home this year. That means their home winning percentages are all above 75%.

9. The Lakers needed arguably Kobe and Pau's best games of the season and a great game from Dwight to beat a Blazers team without Wes Matthews, Nic Batum and JJ Hickson by seven points.

10. The Lakers haven't even clinched the spot yet and the Jazz can still knock them out. You cannot reach the Finals if you are not in the playoffs in the first place.

nickdymez
04-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Instead of giving my usual response (which would have been a hearty laugh and a "Hell ****ing No!"), I'll bite for a minutes. Any time which gets hot at the right time has a CHANCE to win the NBA Finals. If the Lakers suddenly started playing amazing basketball, they could feasibly have a chance to win it all. Here's why they won't:

1. Only one 8 seed has ever reached the NBA Finals, and the 1999 Knicks lost in five to the Spurs after passing a weak Eastern Conference in a strike-shortened season.

2. The lowest seed to ever win an NBA title was the 1995 Houston Rockets (6th), who only became contenders after dealing Otis Thorpe for Clyde Drexler in the middle of the season.

3. That Rockets team is also the only team to ever win the Finals without having home-court advantage in a single series since the NBA has had 16 playoff teams.

4. The Lakers are 0-2 against the Spurs, 1-3 against the Thunder, 1-3 against the Nuggets, 0-4 against the Clippers and 1-2 against the Grizzlies this season.

5. Of those three wins, none of them was on the road. They will not have home-court advantage against any of those teams (except for the Clippers, sorta).

7. They were defeated by the Thunder in five games last season. The one win came at home and they lost games 1 and 5 by a combined 45 points. This is the team they will face in the first round.

8. The Lakers are only 16-25 on the road this season. None of the top five sees in the Western Conference has lost 10 games at home this year. That means their home winning percentages are all above 75%.

9. The Lakers needed arguably Kobe and Pau's best games of the season and a great game from Dwight to beat a Blazers team without Wes Matthews, Nic Batum and JJ Hickson by seven points.

10. The Lakers haven't even clinched the spot yet and the Jazz can still knock them out. You cannot reach the Finals if you are not in the playoffs in the first place.

Number 1 is so ironic to me and borderline hypocritcal.

MaloDaw9
04-11-2013, 04:24 PM
To many if's, you can say that about any team really.

If the Lakers make the PO's and if they get the Spurs in the first round. If the Lakers beat the Spurs I could see them riding that wave of momentum for awhile. Playoffs are a different animal, it's about match ups and adjustments. Sadly no amount of if's will replace D'antoni though.

mightybosstone
04-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Number 1 is so ironic to me and borderline hypocritcal.

How so? My point is simply that the the circumstances behind that team reaching the Finals were extremely unusual. Upsets are far more likely to happen under unusual circumstances. If anything, that would make Miami's title run last year stronger, not weaker. Also, I fail to see how it's hypocritical when I said nothing of the Heat in any of my points.

And way to completely gloss over my entire post to take a jab at the Heat. You stay classy, buddy! ;)

nickdymez
04-11-2013, 04:35 PM
How so? My point is simply that the the circumstances behind that team reaching the Finals were extremely unusual. Upsets are far more likely to happen under unusual circumstances. If anything, that would make Miami's title run last year stronger, not weaker. Also, I fail to see how it's hypocritical when I said nothing of the Heat in any of my points.

And way to completely gloss over my entire post to take a jab at the Heat. You stay classy, buddy! ;)

lmfao. Hilarious that you used your same point and made it a positive for the Heat. Lets just end here man. Your obviously in awe of the Heat and im not. They havent done anything for me to be in awe of them. They are a great team, guess what? There are gonna be plenty more great teams. When the Heat with Lebron do something that has never been done before, then I'll be all in on the Lebron is god thing like you guys.

mightybosstone
04-11-2013, 04:41 PM
lmfao. Hilarious that you used your same point and made it a positive for the Heat. Lets just end here man. Your obviously in awe of the Heat and im not. They havent done anything for me to be in awe of them. They are a great team, guess what? There are gonna be plenty more great teams. When the Heat with Lebron do something that has never been done before, then I'll be all in on the Lebron is god thing like you guys.
The point had nothing to do with the Heat in the first place. You're the one who made the Heat comparison in a thread that has absolutely zero to do with that team at all.

As far as thinking Lebron is some omnipotent figure, I just think the guy is the best player in the league and probably the greatest player since Jordan. Many statistics back me up, and I'm not the only one who believes this. If you don't want to believe it, then don't. And if you don't want to believe the Heat are a great team, then don't. Nobody is forcing you. But that still won't stop them from winning the championship this year or prevent Lebron from winning another MVP.

HoodedSB
04-11-2013, 04:41 PM
If they get matched up with OKC they are completely ****ed. They stand a little better of a chance against the spurs but not much. They are too inefficient on O and soft on D to match up well with either team for a whole series.

enitialdee
04-11-2013, 06:17 PM
the miami heat will win cause thats who the nba wants to win

Well the league did wanted the laker to win, the whole past decade, time for a change don't you think???

KnicksorBust
04-11-2013, 06:29 PM
Instead of giving my usual response (which would have been a hearty laugh and a "Hell ****ing No!"), I'll bite for a minutes. Any time which gets hot at the right time has a CHANCE to win the NBA Finals. If the Lakers suddenly started playing amazing basketball, they could feasibly have a chance to win it all. Here's why they won't:

8. The Lakers are only 16-25 on the road this season. None of the top five sees in the Western Conference has lost 10 games at home this year. That means their home winning percentages are all above 75%.

Good post. Did you enjoy that you got to slob over your own team's history making it? :)

What this post does is put the framework in place for how historic the Lakers accomplishing this feat would be. It piles evidence upon evidence that says it just won't be done. However, I think the Lakers have done a pretty damn good job of being historically underachieving so they might as well balance out there season by shocking us with overachieving based on their seed.

I do think you bring up an interesting point about the Thunder. The Thunder would probably **** on them. A banged-up Spurs team is a different story...

beliges
04-11-2013, 07:02 PM
The Lakers dont have the athleticism, the youth, the quickness, the bench, the coach, and quite simply the talent at this point in each players' career to compete for a title. With the injuries they have suffered this season, I am surprised they were able to make the playoffs (assuming they do) playing under this system in the ultra competitive Western Conference. They can and most likely will beat the Spurs if they are lucky enough to play them simply because the Spurs will not have an answer for Kobe. But it seems like the Lakers will face the Thunder in the 1st round as of right now and Id be shocked if the Lakers can stretch that series out more than 5. They simply cannot compete with the talent lever and athleticism of the Thunders and the Heat.

SportsFanatic10
04-11-2013, 07:43 PM
out of the playoff teams in the west the lakers almost certainly can't beat any of the thunder/spurs/nuggets/grizzlies/clippers in a 7 game series. and i highly doubt they could beat the warriors/rockets either. this thread is funny :laugh2:.

Kevj77
04-11-2013, 08:14 PM
:laugh2: Not with D'Antoni.

They might, miiiight be able to upset whoever they play in the first round, but that is verrrry slim.It will all depend on who they match up with. I'm a Lakers fan that thinks OCK, LAC and the Nuggets would crush them.

Laker will only have a chance against a team that will play a slower pace. The teams I mentioned will run them out of the building. Their only chance is to slow it down play a halfcourt game and take advantage of their size and iso Kobe. It will also help their transition defense, which is terrible. Will Mike D ever try to play that way I doubt it.

ChitownBears22
04-11-2013, 08:17 PM
Yeah I will say it.....Phoenix will be the NBA Champs next season. I'm not going to bring any viable substance to the conversation, just a stupid baseless claim and vague jargon, like "on a roll".

theheatles
04-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Half of the national analysts are going to say this, some because they believe it and some because the network tells them to. It's all just a rigged soap opera for guys.

got dirk?
04-11-2013, 09:28 PM
If LA can get past OKC after SA tanked, they're definitely going to the finals. EPIC matchup.

mightybosstone
04-11-2013, 09:28 PM
Good post. Did you enjoy that you got to slob over your own team's history making it? :)
Of course! I'll take any chance to love on the 95 Rockets. When I look back at what that team accomplished, my only regret is not being old enough (I was only 8) to truly appreciate what they were doing. That team beat an astonishing number of all-time greats without home-court advantage in the West and then went and completely dominated Shaq and Penny.

What this post does is put the framework in place for how historic the Lakers accomplishing this feat would be. It piles evidence upon evidence that says it just won't be done. However, I think the Lakers have done a pretty damn good job of being historically underachieving so they might as well balance out there season by shocking us with overachieving based on their seed.
C'mon, KoB! Surely you don't believe this nonsense?

I do think you bring up an interesting point about the Thunder. The Thunder would probably **** on them. A banged-up Spurs team is a different story...
But regardless if they get them in the first round or in the WCF, they'll have to face the Thunder at some point on the way to the Finals. And let's not forget that the Clippers absolutely have had their number this season, making them for a horrible second round matchup for the Lakers.

Should the Lakers make the playoffs, get lucky enough to face the Spurs instead of OKC (not likely) and then pull off an insane upset in the first round, they would STILL have to pull off two monumental upsets the next two rounds. And even if they somehow accomplish all of that, they'll face a Miami team in the Finals which should absolutely tear them to shreds.

I'd honestly give the Lakers chances of winning the Finals like 100-to-1 odds.

justinnum1
04-11-2013, 09:42 PM
Of course.

mdm692
04-11-2013, 09:43 PM

This.

LOOTERX9
04-12-2013, 01:54 AM
crack is a strong drug......

KniCks4LiFe
04-12-2013, 01:58 AM
Yeah I'll say it. The Roxs gonna end that little scenerio on Wednesday. :cool:

Kobes a Killer
04-12-2013, 02:06 AM
They can but won't

KniCks4LiFe
04-12-2013, 02:08 AM
They can and they will.

jerellh528
04-12-2013, 02:25 AM
They can and they will.

+1

zn23
04-12-2013, 04:19 AM
I'm sorry but the perimeter defense is just too bad to compete with the athletic guards. That's really the only problem with this team, is the perimeter defense. The talent is there as Pau and Howard demonstrated. Unfortunately they haven't proven it once this year.

DumDum
04-12-2013, 04:29 AM

:confused::(:rolleyes:;):o:sigh:

amos1er
04-12-2013, 04:36 AM

Funny how you fail to mention that it was the best game of any current player in the NBA all year.

DumDum
04-12-2013, 04:46 AM
Funny how you fail to mention that it was the best game of any current player in the NBA all year.

it wasn't

amos1er
04-12-2013, 05:31 AM
Instead of giving my usual response (which would have been a hearty laugh and a "Hell ****ing No!"), I'll bite for a minute. Any team which gets hot at the right time has a CHANCE to win the NBA Finals. If the Lakers suddenly started playing amazing basketball, they could feasibly have a chance to win it all. Here's why they won't:

Is this supposed to be a poor mans attempt at a David Letterman top ten list. :rolleyes:

So then correct me if I'm wrong, before the Knicks made the finals in 1999, no other 8 seed had ever made it to the finals before them. So just because somebody hasn't done it in the past means that it can't ever be done? Lucky they didn't adhere to your logic because they would have never had the inspiration to make the finals in the first place if they just looked at past stats and decided that it was impossible like you are suggesting. Lucky the Wright bros and every other innovator in history didn't have your attitude because nothing would have ever gotten done. There is a first time for everything buddy, and just because it hasn't been done before, doesn't mean that it can't be done. Tell that to the 2004 Red Sox or the 2012 Kings. You are basically saying that something is impossible based on the fact that it hasn't been done yet. Totally false statement. Improbable, not impossible.

2.The lowest seed to ever win an NBA title was the 1995 Houston Rockets (6th), who only became contenders after dealing Otis Thorpe for Clyde Drexler in the middle of the season.

Again, the same principle goes. You can't claim that something can't be done just because it has never been done. There has also never been an 8 seed in the history of the NBA with as much talent as this Lakers team currently has. Something to think about.

Cool! Even better news. A team has won the title before without home-court advantage in every series before. So it is possible. Thought you were trying to make counter arguments here... :eyebrow:

Bla bla bla. Skewed stats. How many of those games were against a fully healthy Lakers squad clicking on all cylinders? The Lakers are 25/11 Since January 25. Thats basically .700 basketball during a stretch that included key injuries to Kobe, Dwight, Gasol, Nash, and Metta during that run. Imagine if they were all healthy...

5.Of those three wins, none of them was on the road. They will not have home-court advantage against any of those teams (except for the Clippers, sorta).

You actually make a somewhat decent point here, the Lakers have proven to be a weak road team all season long. But would a fully healthy Lakers team clicking on all cylinders utilizing Pau correctly do so badly on the road? Lakers didn't have a training camp with D'Antoni. One might be inclined to consider this regular season their training camp and throw all the regular season stats out the window come playoff time. Again, 25/11 Since January 25. Thats basically .700 basketball during a stretch that included key injuries to Kobe, Dwight, Gasol, Nash, and Metta.

What is this supposed to prove??? This is a totally different team than in years past. Your logic is highly flawed. Your basically saying that in 2008 we should have counted them out because they hadn't made the WCF in the past 3 years. Hell, better write off your Rockets then, because they haven't made the WCF in like 18 years.

Don't know that for sure yet. It could easily be San Antonio. Heck, we don't even know if the Lakers will make it in yet. lol Either way, can't judge a future series based on a past one. If that were the case, then the 2010 Lakers would have had no chance against the Celtics based on their performance in 2008. lol For that matter, OKC should have lost last year to the Lakers because they lost to them in 2010 in six games. Some huge point disparities there too. Different teams, different scenarios, different players, different season...different outcomes. See how ridiculous you sound now?

8. The Lakers are only 16-25 on the road this season. None of the top five seeds in the Western Conference has lost 10 games at home this year. That means their home winning percentages are all above 75%.

Again, your right about them not performing well on the road, but we still have yet to see this team healthy and functioning on all cylinders playing for an extended stretch of games. Unknown variables sometimes have unexpected results.

If anything, that gives Laker fans more confidence that they can pull of the upset. The Lakers were huge underdogs in last nights game, but they showed that they were able to step up when all the chips are on the line. The playoffs are all about win or go home. The Lakers are the only team in the league that have played in a win or go home game thus far (other than the Jazz tomorrow) and they just showed that they can come through in that situation. As far as I'm concerned, the Lakers last night have shown me more than any other team has so far...they can win when they have to. I liked what I saw and so did most knowledgeable sports experts who commented on the game.

10.The Lakers haven't even clinched the spot yet and the Jazz can still knock them out. You cannot reach the Finals if you are not in the playoffs in the first place.

The most truthful thing you have said in your entire post! Congrats! You didn't even need to come up with some half-cocked random misleading stat either! :clap:

In no way shape or form am I saying that I expect the Lakers to win it all. I would be very surprised and I don't expect them too. I'm just defending against you crapping all over their chances by making it out to be nearly impossible by means of some extremely arbitrary stats you pulled out of your arse. It is possible...just highly improbable. Also wanted to point out that these tricky little stats you chose to present don't make your case any bit more compelling. You could have done much better. Thats all I'm saying.

The most humorous thing to me is how you failed to even bring up their age or track record of injuries. If I were trying to make a case against the Lakers, I would have gone right for those two things. lol Instead you chose to try get fancy by pulling some random stats that I'm guessing you randomly google searched for off some other message board. Ever hear of the "KISS Business Model"? Well, if you haven't, I highly suggest you put your google searching skills to good use because this will be all the more humorous to you once you do. Well maybe not so humorous (for me) as much as embarrassing. If ever there was a need for a facepalm...

amos1er
04-12-2013, 05:34 AM
it wasn't

Oh, a counter claim. Yet I don't see any refuting evidence.

You can guess how seriously I take rubbish like this...

ILLUSIONIST^248
04-12-2013, 06:52 PM
Is this supposed to be a poor mans attempt at a David Letterman top ten list. :rolleyes:

So then correct me if I'm wrong, before the Knicks made the finals in 1999, no other 8 seed had ever made it to the finals before them. So just because somebody hasn't done it in the past means that it can't ever be done? Lucky they didn't adhere to your logic because they would have never had the inspiration to make the finals in the first place if they just looked at past stats and decided that it was impossible like you are suggesting. Lucky the Wright bros and every other innovator in history didn't have your attitude because nothing would have ever gotten done. There is a first time for everything buddy, and just because it hasn't been done before, doesn't mean that it can't be done. Tell that to the 2004 Red Sox or the 2012 Kings. You are basically saying that something is impossible based on the fact that it hasn't been done yet. Totally false statement. Improbable, not impossible.

Again, the same principle goes. You can't claim that something can't be done just because it has never been done. There has also never been an 8 seed in the history of the NBA with as much talent as this Lakers team currently has. Something to think about.

Cool! Even better news. A team has won the title before without home-court advantage in every series before. So it is possible. Thought you were trying to make counter arguments here... :eyebrow:

Bla bla bla. Skewed stats. How many of those games were against a fully healthy Lakers squad clicking on all cylinders? The Lakers are 25/11 Since January 25. Thats basically .700 basketball during a stretch that included key injuries to Kobe, Dwight, Gasol, Nash, and Metta during that run. Imagine if they were all healthy...

You actually make a somewhat decent point here, the Lakers have proven to be a weak road team all season long. But would a fully healthy Lakers team clicking on all cylinders utilizing Pau correctly do so badly on the road? Lakers didn't have a training camp with D'Antoni. One might be inclined to consider this regular season their training camp and throw all the regular season stats out the window come playoff time. Again, 25/11 Since January 25. Thats basically .700 basketball during a stretch that included key injuries to Kobe, Dwight, Gasol, Nash, and Metta.

What is this supposed to prove??? This is a totally different team than in years past. Your logic is highly flawed. Your basically saying that in 2008 we should have counted them out because they hadn't made the WCF in the past 3 years. Hell, better write off your Rockets then, because they haven't made the WCF in like 18 years.

Don't know that for sure yet. It could easily be San Antonio. Heck, we don't even know if the Lakers will make it in yet. lol Either way, can't judge a future series based on a past one. If that were the case, then the 2010 Lakers would have had no chance against the Celtics based on their performance in 2008. lol For that matter, OKC should have lost last year to the Lakers because they lost to them in 2010 in six games. Some huge point disparities there too. Different teams, different scenarios, different players, different season...different outcomes. See how ridiculous you sound now?

Again, your right about them not performing well on the road, but we still have yet to see this team healthy and functioning on all cylinders playing for an extended stretch of games. Unknown variables sometimes have unexpected results.

If anything, that gives Laker fans more confidence that they can pull of the upset. The Lakers were huge underdogs in last nights game, but they showed that they were able to step up when all the chips are on the line. The playoffs are all about win or go home. The Lakers are the only team in the league that have played in a win or go home game thus far (other than the Jazz tomorrow) and they just showed that they can come through in that situation. As far as I'm concerned, the Lakers last night have shown me more than any other team has so far...they can win when they have to. I liked what I saw and so did most knowledgeable sports experts who commented on the game.

The most truthful thing you have said in your entire post! Congrats! You didn't even need to come up with some half-cocked random misleading stat either! :clap:

In no way shape or form am I saying that I expect the Lakers to win it all. I would be very surprised and I don't expect them too. I'm just defending against you crapping all over their chances by making it out to be nearly impossible by means of some extremely arbitrary stats you pulled out of your arse. It is possible...just highly improbable. Also wanted to point out that these tricky little stats you chose to present don't make your case any bit more compelling. You could have done much better. Thats all I'm saying.

The most humorous thing to me is how you failed to even bring up their age or track record of injuries. If I were trying to make a case against the Lakers, I would have gone right for those two things. lol Instead you chose to try get fancy by pulling some random stats that I'm guessing you randomly google searched for off some other message board. Ever hear of the "KISS Business Model"? Well, if you haven't, I highly suggest you put your google searching skills to good use because this will be all the more humorous to you once you do. Well maybe not so humorous (for me) as much as embarrassing. If ever there was a need for a facepalm...

Owned!

Faneik
04-12-2013, 08:04 PM
Lakers won't go to the finals because:

- poor defense
- struggling to win games vs weak teams playing without starters
- kobe's hero-ball if the team is behind
- coach style isn't suited for an old team

mightybosstone
04-12-2013, 08:09 PM
Compared to your pathetic posts, anything I write is practically high art.

So? I'm not trying to say it's impossible, I'm trying to say why it's unlikely. Consider how good that Knicks team was defensively and how they matched up perfectly with that Mourning, Hardaway Heat team in the first round, who they barely squeeked by (back when the NBA only had five-game series). Also, look how much better this Western Conference is than that Eastern Conference. The Knicks are the exception to the rule, not the rule. That's the point of my post, bro.

Yeah, and that same Lakers team with the same amount of talent is about to sneak into the playoffs after playing like **** all season long. No team with this much talent has ever underachieved this much, so that argument goes both ways.

Yeah, and that team added one of the 25-30 greatest players in the history of the NBA after the midway point of the season. If they had Drexler all season long, they probably would have been a top 3 seed. Again, the Rockets are the exception to the rule.

They had their two best players healthy for 70-plus games, so don't play the injury card. A lot of teams have had to deal with injuries to players better than Gasol and Nash. And I don't give a **** what their regular season record was during an easy stretch. I care about how they played against playoff teams this season. The answer? Not well.

They sucked on the road all season long and they're going to suck on the road if they make the playoffs. I don't care if they have Pau at 100 percent, they're still not beating the Thunder or Spurs in a seven-game series. Period.

Again, you're clearly denser than a brick wall. The point of this post is NOT to say 100 percent that the Lakers cannot make the Finals. The point is to give reasons why it is extremely unlikely. Clearly critical thinking isn't your strong suit. You should stick to things you know. Basketball not being one of them.

The Thunder got better from 2010 to 2011. The Lakers have gotten worse. If someone forced you to bet your life savings or put a gun to your head (obviously a crazy hypothetical), would you honestly bet on the Lakers over the Thunder in a seven-game series this season? I'm betting you wouldn't.

The Lakers were huge underdogs in last nights game
What? They were playing a Blazers team without three of their five best players that was on a huge losing streak!!! How they were "huge underdogs"? Are you a complete idiot or just pretend to be one on PS?

In no way shape or form am I saying that I expect the Lakers to win it all. I would be very surprised and I don't expect them too. I'm just defending against you crapping all over their chances by making it out to be nearly impossible by means of some extremely arbitrary stats you pulled out of your arse.
Dude, quit being a dick. I didn't "pull arbitrary stats out of my ***." I provided legitimate numbers, records and facts about the postseason. And how are the Lakers' records this season against the teams they will be playing "arbitrary stats." You can't possibly be this obtuse.

Because you can't bet on injuries. Injuries are unknown variables. I provided historical data which is not variable. And you should never point at other posters as being humorous, because everyone on this forum other than Lakers fans thinks you're a joke. Except you're an unfunny one. You're a child's knock-knock joke, except instead of it being told by a child so that it's cute, it's told by an middle aged man to where it's just disturbing.

You don't have to agree with my posts, but don't be a ****. All the data I provided is legitimate, historical data which took time to compile. That's a hell of a lot more work than you've ever put together, because you only speak in vague generalizations and ignorant Laker homerisms.

mightybosstone
04-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Owned!

How was I owned? He provided no data whatsoever to disprove anything I said, and if the Lakers lose in the first round, everything I wrote will be completely justified. You can't "own" somebody by looking at their argument and saying "SO!"

Swashcuff
04-12-2013, 08:25 PM
How was I owned? He provided no data whatsoever to disprove anything I said, and if the Lakers lose in the first round, everything I wrote will be completely justified. You can't "own" somebody by looking at their argument and saying "SO!"

He NEVER provides anything, always rambles on and on and on and on with no substance whatsoever to any of his posts. You hear people speak of empty stats well his posts are basically that. EMPTY. Not like that troll would know that however because he himself lacks the basic ability to comprehend anything past a 3rd grade education.

Faneik
04-12-2013, 08:26 PM

don't mind him. he acts like a cheerleader for other laker fans.

dodie53
04-12-2013, 08:36 PM
very slim chance imo.

DumDum
04-13-2013, 03:31 AM
Oh, a counter claim. Yet I don't see any refuting evidence.

You can guess how seriously I take rubbish like this...

Your rubbish and Bundle of sticks

DumDum
04-13-2013, 03:34 AM
Without their Dictator Kim jun kobe LA is as Dangerous in the playoffs as North Korea is to the United States

NoahH
04-13-2013, 04:09 PM
I don't tihnk LA can win now..