PDA

View Full Version : Warriors and Rockets clinch playoff spots! Are you surprised?

SugeKnight
04-10-2013, 01:51 AM
Not many PSD posters had these teams making the playoffs this year. Are you surprised they made it?

KniCks4LiFe
04-10-2013, 01:57 AM
So now the Lakers fate relies on SAS and HOU. :laugh2:

Blitzace137
04-10-2013, 01:58 AM
Nope I thought the Rockets had a shot at 8th seed going into the season and they've exceeded my expectations. The Warriors have a nice young group as well, Jack played great for them and of course Curry but I had both of them making it this season. I actually thought T-Wolves were gonna make it at the beginning but they were hit with the injury bug.

KniCks4LiFe
04-10-2013, 02:00 AM
I said since the deals. #6 to #8 for the Roxs. Not surprised at all.

John Walls Era
04-10-2013, 02:00 AM
Yes to Warriors.

No to Rockets.

Rockets have a good backcourt (with a superstar Harden). They have a defensive minded C. I'm surprised by how well Parsons is playing, but I thought they would sneak in at 8.

sunsfan88
04-10-2013, 02:01 AM
Kinda surprised it took the Rockets so long. Considering how everyone has been talking about Harden this season, you would think he would have led his team to clinching playoffs weeks ago.

ThaDubs
04-10-2013, 02:02 AM
:cheers:

WARRIORS

asandhu23
04-10-2013, 02:04 AM
Warriors!!!!

KniCks4LiFe
04-10-2013, 02:05 AM
Kinda surprised it took the Rockets so long. Considering how everyone has been talking about Harden this season, you would think he would have led his team to clinching playoffs weeks ago.

you really think about, HOU is 23-24 yr. olds in the playoff picture. Kids w/ only 2 or 3 yrs. of experience learning where to run on that floor, how to defend a scheme and still working on mechanics and fundamentals, and how to win. On top of that developing an identity.

Isiah said something that made me think: "They aren't playing w/ urgency because they don't know how big home field really is in this" meaning they don't know how it's like. They don't know how big home court advantage really is. This is their debut to the playoffs as a different unit and winning culture. They ain't winning it all, that'd be a miracle if they make the WCF. They are learning how these games will impact their next move.

AI
04-10-2013, 02:07 AM
I'm surprised the Rockets made it because at first I didn't really pay much attention to their team. Once you get to see them, you like the team. Harden is obviously their leader, but they have some solid players who know their roles. Asik, Parsons, Lin, Delfino, etc. is a nice core.

KniCks4LiFe
04-10-2013, 02:16 AM
I'm surprised the Rockets made it because at first I didn't really pay much attention to their team. Once you get to see them, you like the team. Harden is obviously their leader, but they have some solid players who know their roles. Asik, Parsons, Lin, Delfino, etc. is a nice core.

Harden leads by example and is their best player. And go to guy. But James Harden has publicly told Howard Chen that Jeremy Lin is their floor leader since March.

Harden

"It all starts with him. He's our leader. He's our starting PG. We move as he moves."

I think it's both, obviously Lin now directs the offense more. Harden is their finisher. IDK why James said that. There was no need for it. People don't hate him, infact they love him. So yeh it was out of the blue. :laugh2:

FOBolous
04-10-2013, 02:19 AM
as a Rockets fan, i honestly thought we were going to be a lottery team this year because all our players are either rookies, sophmores, undrafted, or have never started for a team before.

Allphakenny1
04-10-2013, 02:21 AM
I am a little surprised at the Warriors because I felt that they would only make the playoffs if Curry and Bogut were healthy all year and contributing to the team. Curry has been great, but Bogut missed much of the year and is playing well, but not great. The Warriors have shown me a lot this year.

KniCks4LiFe
04-10-2013, 02:25 AM
Dubz shocked me. I thought rising team but not a playoff team. This team was in the #3 slot beginning of the season.

RollingWave
04-10-2013, 02:26 AM
It took them this long cause the West is super competitive, the under .500 Bucks have clinched for like a week now, but the 10 games over .500 Houston took till today. despite playing something like .650 ball since the all start break, since almost all their competitors are also playing .600 ball during that stretch, insane.

For the West a lot of teams are always in contention, I think the somewhat surprising thing is that the Warriors were this healthy this year, Curry was hurt a lot last year but has been completely healthy this year.

It basically went down to those two team being healthier than the Wolfs / Lakers / Mavs, and that the Lakers put together their team in the worst way possible.

The Rockets are kind of surprising though, non of their players started full time last year, that's gotta be some kind of a record, Parsons was the closest thing to being a full time starter last year, the Warriors were less surprising given the players they had . Though I guess a bit that was surprising is how well the did without Bogut.

seikou8
04-10-2013, 02:33 AM
no

lol, please
04-10-2013, 02:55 AM
Not surprised, but happy.

AI
04-10-2013, 04:29 AM
Harden leads by example and is their best player. And go to guy. But James Harden has publicly told Howard Chen that Jeremy Lin is their floor leader since March.

Harden

I think it's both, obviously Lin now directs the offense more. Harden is their finisher. IDK why James said that. There was no need for it. People don't hate him, infact they love him. So yeh it was out of the blue. :laugh2:

I honestly couldn't care less what Harden said, he's clearly their leader and Lin plays off him, not the other way around. Obviously you'll debate this until the death of you because you are probably Lin's biggest fan on this site.

Hopper15
04-10-2013, 05:21 AM
It took them this long cause the West is super competitive, the under .500 Bucks have clinched for like a week now, but the 10 games over .500 Houston took till today. despite playing something like .650 ball since the all start break, since almost all their competitors are also playing .600 ball during that stretch, insane.

For the West a lot of teams are always in contention, I think the somewhat surprising thing is that the Warriors were this healthy this year, Curry was hurt a lot last year but has been completely healthy this year.

It basically went down to those two team being healthier than the Wolfs / Lakers / Mavs, and that the Lakers put together their team in the worst way possible.

The Rockets are kind of surprising though, non of their players started full time last year, that's gotta be some kind of a record, Parsons was the closest thing to being a full time starter last year, the Warriors were less surprising given the players they had . Though I guess a bit that was surprising is how well the did without Bogut.

Not really, difference is he's learned to play through ankle sprains this season.

pippsux
04-10-2013, 05:39 AM
Both teams suprised and exceeded my expectations. I honestly thought Morey was insane in the offseason with plethora of trades and crazy signings. Even after the trade for Harden, I didnt see playoffs, buy Morey is the man and has my respect, along with Mchale for an outstanding job. Same goes for Mark Jackson, I miss him in the broadcasting booth and secretly was ready for them to fail, so he could pair up with jvg again, but he looks like he will be a coaching lifer and has a nice young warrior team on the rise

KniCks4LiFe
04-10-2013, 05:55 AM
I honestly couldn't care less what Harden said, he's clearly their leader and Lin plays off him, not the other way around. Obviously you'll debate this until the death of you because you are probably Lin's biggest fan on this site.

I actually disagreed w/ what Harden said there homie, those were his words. Read the post next time. No I'm not debating it b/c there's nothing to debate. :cool:

You on the other hand exposed yourself there.

torocan
04-10-2013, 06:45 AM

The Rockets clinched it with 44-34 and 4 games remaining. It took them 10 (TEN!) games over .500 to clinch in the West.

Golden State clinched it with 45-33 and 3 games remaining. 11 games over .500 for them to clinch in the West (Houston has the tie breaker).

10 and 11 games over .500 to clinch the 8 spot in the West.

Milwaukee clinched their 8th spot a few games back... their record is 37 and 40. 3 games under .500.

Golden State and Houston's records would have them in the 5 and 6th seed in the East. Think about that... to get in the play offs in the hypercompetitive West is quite an accomplishment for both these young teams.

That said, I though GSW was a play off team if Curry and Bogut were healthy. I put Houston as a bubble play off team in that I thought they could sneak into 8th. That they're 7th and fighting for the 6th spot with 4 games to go is very impressive.

Houston's play off seeding is crazy considering that they're the youngest team in the NBA, the least experienced team in the NBA, have 13 new players playing in their first year together, and they traded their 20% of their rotation at the trade deadline (PF, back up PF and back up PG).

In the West? And have cap space to sign a max player? Crazy... just crazy.

BKLYNpigeon
04-10-2013, 08:21 AM
Everyone had the Warriors to finish 12th and 13th this season.

king4day
04-10-2013, 11:30 AM
Warriors yes, but had I known they'd be healthy, I wouldn't have been surprised. Houston, after getting Harden, I think a lot of people figured they'd be there.

--23--
04-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Before the season I was very confident the Warriors will make the playoffs, so no I'm not surprised with them. I didn't have the Rockets in the Playoffs before the season started, but as the season went on and seeing the Lakers struggle I picked them to be a 8th seed.

KingPosey
04-10-2013, 11:45 AM
I assumed one of the two COULD make it. The Lakers disappointments changed what just. About everyone saw playing out

Hawkeye15
04-10-2013, 12:04 PM
I would have been surprised if you told me this before the season started, but not after I watched the Wolves crumble with injuries and the Lakers deal with their mess and the injuries.

Nats_vcu-Okc35
04-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Warriors yes, but had I known they'd be healthy, I wouldn't have been surprised. Houston, after getting Harden, I think a lot of people figured they'd be there.

I don't know that they were. Bogut missed more than 1/2 the season, Rush was gone in the first couple weeks, and Curry has had stints of being out this year. But you're right overall, any season where Curry/Lee makes it through relatively injury free, makes them much more competitive. I think the Jarrett Jack trade might be one of the underrated trades of this offseason, and Barnes/Thompson are both on the rise. Mark Jackson definitely has this team going in the right direction two years into his tenure.

I am pleasantly surprised by both, I must say. Though I knew Harden was a jewel after watching a lot of okc the season before, and thought the Rockets would be a perennial playoff team in the future, this was a quicker turnaround then I expected.

maddBat
04-10-2013, 12:11 PM
didnt think golden state would be over the rockets in standings. but love what mark jackson has done with the warriors. has gotten them to play to full potential. and also curry is playing out of his mind.

rockets im not surprised they made it to the playoffs but how many of u were saying harden wasnt a superstar and couldnt b the #1 option after having a horrible playoffs. they have a pretty complete team. parsons progressing even more than last year has been the biggest surprise on the team imo. i got him in like the 6-7th round in my fantasy league and ended up being my 2-3rd best player. lol

TyrionLannister
04-10-2013, 12:12 PM
I believed Houston would make it, but was pleasantly surprised by the Warriors. Curry stayed healthy all season and they performed well even without Bogut for more than half the season.

LongIslandIcedZ
04-10-2013, 12:14 PM
The only team I thought would be a lock for the playoffs was the Lakers. So only the Rockets truly surprised me as a playoff team. Warriors had a lot of talent.

KnickaBocka.44
04-10-2013, 12:36 PM
I picked both of these teams to make the playoffs so I'm not surprised that they made it.

That being said, I thought the Warriors would need more of a contribution from Bogut in order to achieve the success they have this year.

todu82
04-10-2013, 12:41 PM
Not at all. Figured they both would probably make the playoffs.

Chronz
04-10-2013, 12:53 PM
I had the Warriors being a playoff team, but only if Bogut was healthy. Without him I didn't see much of a chance, then Curry took that next level and they had alot of early success aka luck to withstand their inevitable collapse.

Once the Rox got Harden, I was hoping for an 8th seed, so clinching ahead of schedule was a pleasant surprise.

Manimal
04-10-2013, 12:55 PM
I didn't have either of these teams in the playoffs.

1. LAL
2. OKC
3. SAS
4. DEN
5. MEM
6. LAC
7. DAL
8. MIN

That's how I figured it would be, but the Dirk injury and KLove injury before the season started had my 7 and 8 seeds spiralling out of control. Also this was pre-Harden trade.

Still feel a fit Minnesota team would make the playoffs this season. They almost have 30 wins with hardly any play time from Love and lots games missed by Rubio, Budinger, Roy, AK47, Pekovic, Malcolm Lee etc.

AddiX
04-10-2013, 01:13 PM
It's a bit surprising but to much so, a lot of the teams that usually contend for the last seeds fell off this year, gs and hou played well, so they kind of got in by default. Both still played better than I expected though.

FOBolous
04-10-2013, 02:24 PM
all of you are lying if you thought the Rockets were anything but a lottery team at the beginning of the season.

TrueFan420
04-10-2013, 02:38 PM
Bogut missed more than half the season tho. People were saying he and curry both had to be right for us to make the 8 seed. Curry was Bogut wasn't and were at the 6 seed. This years playoffs are a learning experience. Next year with Bogut ready and playing all year I think we could make noise

Hawkeye15
04-10-2013, 02:42 PM
all of you are lying if you thought the Rockets were anything but a lottery team at the beginning of the season.

I thought even with Harden, they wouldn't keep with the Wolves, Lakers, and Mavs. Injuries killed that prediction.

KnicksorBust
04-10-2013, 03:00 PM
Someone should bump a prediction thread. It'd be interesting. I was and am still very high on the Warriors so I can't say I'm surprised there. Anyone who has read my posts before also knows I was very high on Harden. However, with the Lakers/Mavs/Jazz, I highly doubt I had the Rockets as a playoff team. I'd have to go back and check.

KnicksorBust
04-10-2013, 03:01 PM
I thought even with Harden, they wouldn't keep with the Wolves, Lakers, and Mavs. Injuries killed that prediction.

Yeah the Wolves could have been players too. The only bright side of missing Love is that you got to see what you really had in AK47 and Pek moving forward. If they get healthy and find a quality wing in the draft they could be in for a huge turnaround. Easier said than done. :)

Stinkyoutsider
04-10-2013, 03:02 PM
Both surprised me. But both teams have good talent.

Harden has been above and beyond what I thought he was going to be for the Rockets this year. And Asik has been playing very well in the starting spot. After Parson's last year, I knew he was going to produce again this year because he's very consistent. Wasn't quite sure about Lin, but he's stepped up and is leading his team.

The Warriors really shocked me though? I figured there wouldn't be enough ball to go around for Thompson and Curry but both have been unselfished and it shows. Both of those guys are nearly impossible to stop because there's always the threat of the long distance shot. I would have liked to see what a 100% health Bogut could do for the team. Take some post up opportunities offensively and be a defensive anchor on the other end. The Warriors can already score, so just imagine if they could control their defensive paint on a consistent basis?

Joshtd1
04-10-2013, 03:05 PM
I actually thought every team that made it last year was going to make it in again this season, so yes, surprised.

Chronz
04-10-2013, 03:25 PM
Yeah the Wolves could have been players too. The only bright side of missing Love is that you got to see what you really had in AK47 and Pek moving forward. If they get healthy and find a quality wing in the draft they could be in for a huge turnaround. Easier said than done. :)

I dont see the benefit of AK getting older, we dont really know anything more about him than we knew a few years back in Uta. Dude still has to prove capable of playing the 3 full time alongside Love. Pek was always a beast, what sucks is that their financial window has closed, they have to reup both of them along with Budinger, with Rubio coming up. This was practically Kahn trying to go all in and injuries killed his short term plan.

Heres hoping he gets lucky with his lotto pick

KnicksorBust
04-10-2013, 03:33 PM
I dont see the benefit of AK getting older, we dont really know anything more about him than we knew a few years back in Uta. Dude still has to prove capable of playing the 3 full time alongside Love. Pek was always a beast, what sucks is that their financial window has closed, they have to reup both of them along with Budinger, with Rubio coming up. This was practically Kahn trying to go all in and injuries killed his short term plan.

I don't remember saying it was a benefit that he got older? Strawman? :laugh:

I'm positive we can bump threads that have people concerned what AK47 was going to bring after a year out of the league. Pek's progress should have been expected but was certainly not guaranteed. Both got the minutes and opportunity to have very good seasons. What I don't understand is how you think he went "all in" when his core players Rubio-Love-Pek are not even in their prime...

Chronz
04-10-2013, 04:35 PM
I don't remember saying it was a benefit that he got older? Strawman? :laugh:

Its a significant fact when the player is in his 30's. All that came out of this was that AK-47 got older, it would be one thing if he was an unknown player who could use whatever revelation you saw as a stepping stone as he matured, but AK-47 hasn't shown us anything we didn't already know about him and its fair to say hes prolly on the decline.

I'm positive we can bump threads that have people concerned what AK47 was going to bring after a year out of the league.
I cant speak for everyone, but wouldn't it be fair to expect a guy who was only 1 year removed (by his choice as opposed to being put down by a serious injury) to play at around the same level, albeit less durable due to age? He played great in Russiaand the Olympics, and sure enough he wound up missing around the same amount of games and putting up similar stats. The question marks I had for him before, I still have now, only now hes more likely to decline next year. Im looking forward to he and Love playing together.

Pek's progress should have been expected but was certainly not guaranteed.
Agreed, depending on how Love plays, he will prolly cut into his effectiveness abit, but no where near the degree that Im worried about AK-47. I could be wrong, and maybe he meshes brilliantly, but Ive seen AK struggle fitting into systems where he cant be a combo-forward. Much like the Lakers did with Odom to accomodate Pau/Bynum, I think Minny will eventually end up with AK being a killer 6th man because of this, that way they can make better use of his versatility.

Both got the minutes and opportunity to have very good seasons.
Yea but if you would have told me that Love would be out all year, I would have heightened my expectations for AK, knowing he would be allowed more positional freedom playing alongside other tweener forwards and such.

What I didn't know about him, was if he and Love+Pek could fit in together. He and Love only played in 14 games together, in those 441 minutes, he took more shots to score less pts, not a good start but admittedly a very minor complaint.

What I don't understand is how you think he went "all in" when his core players Rubio-Love-Pek are not even in their prime...

I meant with regards to finding the supporting pieces around that core. Like when a team drafts an eventual cornerstone/superstar, there is a brief window where those players are ridiculously underpaid, that window allows you to sign players that wouldn't otherwise be available if the core players were getting paid what they deserve and will eventually get.

Pek and Rubio are 2 such players, them getting paid pittance is what allowed them the freedom to bring in AK/Roy. But now that Im looking at their payroll, Rubio wont be a FA for awhile it seems, I guess they can still find some wiggle room, depending on what they pay Budinger/Pek/AK moving forward.

One of the biggest benefits might be that Budinger was unable to prove his worth, hes a very important role player for them moving forward. Its a very limited sample, but his shooting really changed that team in the few short minutes he got on the court.

SugeKnight
04-10-2013, 04:36 PM
Someone should bump a prediction thread. It'd be interesting. I was and am still very high on the Warriors so I can't say I'm surprised there. Anyone who has read my posts before also knows I was very high on Harden. However, with the Lakers/Mavs/Jazz, I highly doubt I had the Rockets as a playoff team. I'd have to go back and check.
:nod: I was trying to find it but I couldn't. I thought i subscribed to that thread too

Hawkeye15
04-10-2013, 04:49 PM

I already knew what we had in those two. Derrick Williams improved, and we saw Rubio go back to his normal game eventually. Literally the only bright side was the improvement of Williams. We lost a year of Love's contract.

Chronz
04-10-2013, 05:14 PM
I already knew what we had in those two. Derrick Williams improved, and we saw Rubio go back to his normal game eventually. Literally the only bright side was the improvement of Williams. We lost a year of Love's contract.

Agreed, this year should have been your teams version of the year the Clippers had last year. On the bright side, you have another lotto pick to play with and I think its likely that you guys can bring back Buddinger on the cheap again. All you guys have to hope for is that AK remains the same player while fitting in with 2 other frontcourt studs. He couldn't really do that with Okur/Boozer/Milsap in Utah tho, and that stifled their growth.

c.c.
04-10-2013, 05:49 PM
I'm not surprised at all that the Rockets are in the playoffs!