PDA

View Full Version : Pek's Future

kinglebreezy
04-08-2013, 07:48 PM
Pretty basic question. Where will Nikola Pekovic land and what kind of money will he be making? I'm a Wolves fan so I'd like to think he'd stay with us. There has been rumors that he'd be willing to take a "hometown discount" because he likes the area, but that seems unlikely due to his age and the fact that this will probably be his only shot at the big dollars. I say the Wolves will match anything up to 12 mil per, which is close to his max. Do you think someone else is going to throw big dollars at him to get him outta the twin cities?

kobe4thewinbang
04-08-2013, 07:51 PM
He's a good player. I think 12 is his ceiling though.

kinglebreezy
04-08-2013, 07:54 PM
It seems like that's a lot of money for a center who isn't very capable on the defensive end, but how many offensively gifted centers are there in the league? He's got a niche for sure thats gonna get him paid

Hawkeye15
04-08-2013, 08:00 PM
The Wolves have said he is the #1 priority this summer, and Pekovic has stated he wants to stay. That being said, money talks. If he gets a 4 year, $52 million deal, I would let him walk. He is worth $11-12, and I wouldn't go over that.

That being said, with Love already voicing his early season opinions on questioning the direction of the franchise, losing Pekovic creates a big talent hole at C, and we have only 2 years to convince Love to stay long term.

Tough decision. I am not the one writing the checks, so it's easy for me to give a limit. But if Portland for some reason wants to stick it to us for the Batum deal, they could offer him something stupid just to get us to match, and I don't want to match a $13-14 million a year amount.

kinglebreezy
04-08-2013, 08:03 PM
So hard to find a replacement at center tho. I feel like Pek and Love don't complement each other either. If Love is willing to stay and be committed to the franchise, we should let Pek walk for 11 mil plus and sign a long, defensive oriented center. Maybe a stephen adams in the draft? That type of player.

Hawkeye15
04-08-2013, 08:09 PM
So hard to find a replacement at center tho. I feel like Pek and Love don't complement each other either. If Love is willing to stay and be committed to the franchise, we should let Pek walk for 11 mil plus and sign a long, defensive oriented center. Maybe a stephen adams in the draft? That type of player.

Offensively, Love and Pek are perfect. Pek lives within 4 feet of the rim, Love is a stretch 4. Defensively, yeah, not so much.

29$JerZ
04-08-2013, 08:10 PM
Easily an 11 mil per year C, he's actually a good well rounded Center.

kinglebreezy
04-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Where does he rank among centers though?
1. tyson chandler
2. robin lopez
3/4. Hibbert
3/4 Pek
It seems like those guys are pretty much all making max, not sure what chandler's making. But if Deandre Jordan gets 12 mill, im pretty sure the market for pek is going to be near max if not max

RipCity32
04-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Do you guys think Monroe is worth 10 mil per year.Just asking because some guys in the pistons forum don't think so were as I do.

kinglebreezy
04-08-2013, 08:23 PM
Monroe, yeah I like his game. Seems like a type of player the Spurs would value. Great playmaking ability for a big man. 10 million? I think thats where his value is. 9-10 mil. Is he a power forward or a center though?

I Rock Shaqs
04-08-2013, 09:09 PM
Where does he rank among centers though?
1. tyson chandler
2. robin lopez
3/4. Hibbert
3/4 Pek
It seems like those guys are pretty much all making max, not sure what chandler's making. But if Deandre Jordan gets 12 mill, im pretty sure the market for pek is going to be near max if not max

Turrible list.
1. Dwight Howard
2. Brook Lopez
3. Tyson Chandler
4. Joakim Noah
5. Marc Gasol
6. Roy Hibbert
7. Al Jefferson
8. Al Horford
Then there's Pekovic, Monroe, Vuvecic, Jordan , Gortat in really any order. Same as the top 8 anywheres from 4 down is interchangable.

kinglebreezy
04-08-2013, 09:15 PM
id take pek over al jefferson. all day erryday

Sactown
04-08-2013, 09:30 PM
Turrible list.
1. Dwight Howard
2. Brook Lopez
3. Tyson Chandler
4. Joakim Noah
5. Marc Gasol
6. Roy Hibbert
7. Al Jefferson
8. Al Horford
Then there's Pekovic, Monroe, Vuvecic, Jordan , Gortat in really any order. Same as the top 8 anywheres from 4 down is interchangable.

I'd Boogie all over that list!

Sactown
04-08-2013, 09:31 PM
Turrible list.
1. Dwight Howard
2. Brook Lopez
3. Tyson Chandler
4. Joakim Noah
5. Marc Gasol
6. Roy Hibbert
7. Al Jefferson
8. Al Horford

I'd Boogie all over that list!

lilchuckdoubles
04-08-2013, 09:53 PM
scary thought, could the thunder go after pek this summer? k.mart is coming off the books and would they still be able to use the amnesty on perkins?

I Rock Shaqs
04-08-2013, 09:55 PM
id take pek over al jefferson. all day erryday

I guess you would also take Robin Lopez over 20 other C's in the league too...

mdm692
04-08-2013, 10:01 PM
The Wolves have said he is the #1 priority this summer, and Pekovic has stated he wants to stay. That being said, money talks. If he gets a 4 year, $52 million deal, I would let him walk. He is worth $11-12, and I wouldn't go over that.

That being said, with Love already voicing his early season opinions on questioning the direction of the franchise, losing Pekovic creates a big talent hole at C, and we have only 2 years to convince Love to stay long term.

Tough decision. I am not the one writing the checks, so it's easy for me to give a limit. But if Portland for some reason wants to stick it to us for the Batum deal, they could offer him something stupid just to get us to match, and I don't want to match a $13-14 million a year amount.

The Wolves FO also has to take into consideration that Rubio will more than likely command a very hefty extension.

kinglebreezy
04-08-2013, 10:01 PM
sorry i meant brooke

HouRealCoach
04-08-2013, 10:06 PM
Next year I hope Minnesota gets healthy... Love, Rubio, Pek, D-Will, draft pick (Wing scorer/shooter) should be enough to make a serious run in the WC

fayebym
04-08-2013, 10:06 PM
I think 12 is his ceiling though.http://www.oref.info/3g.jpg

Hawkeye15
04-08-2013, 10:07 PM
The Wolves FO also has to take into consideration that Rubio will more than likely command a very hefty extension.

The Wolves will end up overpaying for Rubio. I know it. It's apparently taboo to criticize Rubio as a Wolves fan, but my god, that dude is nowhere near max money unless he stops sucking at scoring so badly.

mdm692
04-08-2013, 10:09 PM
The Wolves will end up overpaying for Rubio. I know it. It's apparently taboo to criticize Rubio as a Wolves fan, but my god, that dude is nowhere near max money unless he stops sucking at scoring so badly.
The good thing about that is that you can always improve your offense regardless of how bad you are. Defense, hustle and IQ are a different story. The wolves will have some interesting decisions to make with players like Williams and Budinger as well as the already mentioned Rubio.

kinglebreezy
04-08-2013, 10:11 PM
i wonder if ricky will be on the all defense team this year? or did he miss too much time?

topdog
04-08-2013, 10:24 PM
i wonder if ricky will be on the all defense team this year? or did he miss too much time?

He's not there yet. Yes, he's up at the top in steals, but his overall impact is not there in the numbers and he certainly isn't seen as a "lockdown" player.

TheNumber37
04-08-2013, 10:33 PM
asik money

I Rock Shaqs
04-08-2013, 10:33 PM
Like I'm white myself but I could never actually watch the T-WOlves play every game, man that would be soo boring lol.

Chronz
04-08-2013, 10:53 PM
Hes productive, but not my type of center in terms of being an anchor defensively and on the boards. Still, on the right team (Like these Wolves) hes worth holding onto.

Chronz
04-08-2013, 10:54 PM
Like I'm white myself but I could never actually watch the T-WOlves play every game, man that would be soo boring lol.

Theres no one like Rubio, your missing out.

Hawkeye15
04-08-2013, 10:58 PM

opinion on Rubio?

John Walls Era
04-09-2013, 02:46 AM

Great. I want to go spend my time and money on tix to watch a few nice passes and lot of misses a game.

John Walls Era
04-09-2013, 02:47 AM
8 million at most. But because of big man money inflation, it will be in the double digit million.

b@llhog24
04-09-2013, 03:31 AM
I'd hate for the Blazers to sign him in all honesty.

Hawkeye15
04-09-2013, 10:38 AM
I'd hate for the Blazers to sign him in all honesty.

Yeah, but the Blazers and Wolves act like 12 year old girls that hate each other in the offseasons. It's weird honestly. Just for making them overpay on Batum, Paul Allen may try and **** them.

Chronz
04-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Great. I want to go spend my time and money on tix to watch a few nice passes and lot of misses a game.
Nice? Try

NOICE.

NoahH
04-09-2013, 11:22 AM
He's worth $12mill MAX but you know how the NBA overpays Centres. McGee got $11 and Hibbert got $14 so honestly i could see someone overpaying him and getting a 4 year /$58mill contract

nycericanguy
04-09-2013, 11:27 AM
Pek is an interesting player, on the one hand he put up 16 & 9 and a 20 PER, and had a solid year last year as well.

On the other hand, he's pretty old for a 3rd year player, is not really a great defender, and has put up numbers on really bad teams in games that mostly didn't matter...which is always something you gotta worry about.

He's probably worth McGee type money $10-11m per... but I could see a team throwing a MAX at him because he's a C.

Does MIN really let him go over an extra $2-3m per and risk alienating Love even further? But then, do you want to follow CLE & ORL giving out bad contracts to appease stars that end up leaving anyway?

Tough call... personally I think Pek & Asik should swap teams... would benefit both teams greatly.

b@llhog24
04-09-2013, 11:36 AM
Pek would be great on the Thunder imo. He'd need to pick up his rebounding a bit but he's a hyper efficient scorer at the C position and he'd be playing next to the best shot blocking presence since Mutumbo. Wonder if they give him an offer.

Yeah, but the Blazers and Wolves act like 12 year old girls that hate each other in the offseasons. It's weird honestly. Just for making them overpay on Batum, Paul Allen may try and **** them.

Lol yea I'm not sure what's up with that.

Hellcrooner
04-09-2013, 11:38 AM
Deppends of what Dwight Does.

Im serious.
Dwight walks, and all hell breaks lose bout centers in the league.

Hawkeye15
04-09-2013, 11:59 AM
Pek is an interesting player, on the one hand he put up 16 & 9 and a 20 PER, and had a solid year last year as well.

On the other hand, he's pretty old for a 3rd year player, is not really a great defender, and has put up numbers on really bad teams in games that mostly didn't matter...which is always something you gotta worry about.

He's probably worth McGee type money $10-11m per... but I could see a team throwing a MAX at him because he's a C.

Does MIN really let him go over an extra $2-3m per and risk alienating Love even further? But then, do you want to follow CLE & ORL giving out bad contracts to appease stars that end up leaving anyway?

Tough call... personally I think Pek & Asik should swap teams... would benefit both teams greatly.

I mentioned that as well on the first page of the thread. Tough decision all around. They should have extended him for 4 years, $38-40 million before the season started. But now they need to make a tough decision.

Hawkeye15
04-09-2013, 12:01 PM
Pek would be great on the Thunder imo. He'd need to pick up his rebounding a bit but he's a hyper efficient scorer at the C position and he'd be playing next to the best shot blocking presence since Mutumbo. Wonder if they give him an offer.

Lol yea I'm not sure what's up with that.

just some history is all. Goes back to the Roy trade, then Webster trade, stealing coaches, etc. I loved this summer when Kahn showed them a copy of the offer sheet for Batum like he was saying, "I'll do it, I'll do it!". And Portland responds with calling him childish (true story), and keeps Batum regardless. Watch them throw a stupid deal at Pek, and they do the same thing.

Chronz
04-09-2013, 12:05 PM
opinion on Rubio?

Fun 2 watch on both ends

Vinylman
04-09-2013, 12:51 PM
question for Twolve fans...

if Pek walks do you think minny pursues Gasol's expiring?

Hawkeye15
04-09-2013, 12:58 PM
question for Twolve fans...

if Pek walks do you think minny pursues Gasol's expiring?

With what now? And while I wouldn't even want to give up much for Gasol, Kahn loves him, so who knows. But Kahn is also a financial guy so I find it hard to believe he would take that salary on, even for the year.

Who knows though.

nycericanguy
04-09-2013, 01:02 PM
if HOU strikes out on Howard, I'd look into a Pek for Asik S&T if I were MIN.

Asik is a great fit alongside Love, and you only commit to two more years.

HOU on the other hand could use some post presence and a C that can score in that offense.

WAYNEBO
04-09-2013, 01:08 PM
He's having a Asik-type breakout year... with Love out, often leading the team in pts and boards. I say they need to sign him to 12mil a year, and move on to other areas of need -- hate to say it, but they need my boy JR Swish. A 2 guard to take the pressure off Rubio in the backcourt.

Sota4Ever
04-09-2013, 01:27 PM
Anything over 10mil will be an overpayment and hope the Wolves don't match or offer him that.

John Walls Era
04-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Nice? Try

NOICE.
Try meh.

I only go to games where the games matter. I live pretty close to Minni but have declined many chance to go to wolves games.

LayBraun
04-09-2013, 06:31 PM
Whoever gets Pek will be getting one of the more under appreciated players in the game. He's a force on the block and if the Wolves can keep him and just stay healthy then they'll be a top 5 team in the west.

John Walls Era
04-09-2013, 06:34 PM
In 5 years.

AddiX
04-09-2013, 06:46 PM
He's having a Asik-type breakout year... with Love out, often leading the team in pts and boards. I say they need to sign him to 12mil a year, and move on to other areas of need -- hate to say it, but they need my boy JR Swish. A 2 guard to take the pressure off Rubio in the backcourt.

What pressure does Rubio have, teams are giving him as many open shots as he can ask for!

As for pek, I think it's funny people talk about how well he's playing while at the same time thinking he's only worth 8-10 mill. He's a legit big is this league, who actually plays rugged, he's getting more than 10 from some team most likely. Worth it IMO too.