PDA

View Full Version : Is it honorable to tank so a team can't make it to the playoffs?

OceanSpray
04-07-2013, 10:23 PM
Utah and LAL are neck and neck thus far. Assuming it comes down to the last game, how do you feel about the opposing team letting UTAH win so LAL won't make it to the playoffs or vice versa?

b@llhog24
04-07-2013, 10:42 PM
I want to see what Haywood is capable of in the postseason.

xxplayerxx23
04-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Lets go Utah!!

Cal827
04-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Utah and LAL are neck and neck thus far. Assuming it comes down to the last game, how do you feel about the opposing team letting UTAH win so LAL won't make it to the playoffs or vice versa?

Not a problem to me. The last opponents of Utah and LAL are Memphis and Houston respectively. Both teams will have to worry about the playoffs; neither can afford to lose a Z-Bo or a Harden in a useless game, just before they make their respective playoff runs.

Even if they ended against bad teams, I wouldn't really feel much. Those teams fighting for the last spot should have played better and secured a spot by now. Especially the Lakers; they have 3 (likely 4) future hall of famers on that team. Even in the worst case scenario, I didn't see them being anywhere past 6th in the conference lol

No point in blaming others for your own shortcomings.

Avenged
04-07-2013, 10:53 PM
Is this a joke? How is tanking ever honorable?

I doubt any team would "tank" just so the Lakers or Jazz don't make the playoffs.

OceanSpray
04-07-2013, 11:03 PM
Is this a joke? How is tanking ever honorable?

I doubt any team would "tank" just so the Lakers or Jazz don't make the playoffs.

Strategic wise, it's a great move. Maybe you need to relax a little bit.

Avenged
04-07-2013, 11:06 PM

Doesn't matter if it's great or not. Tanking isn't honorable.

shep33
04-07-2013, 11:07 PM
What difference does it really make in the end? LAL or Utah are going to get smoked in round 1

SteBO
04-07-2013, 11:09 PM
Gotta agree with Avenged. Tanking is never honorable......in any sport. It comes off as pathetic.

mngopher35
04-07-2013, 11:17 PM
I don't think either team would be "tanking", just resting their players. It is possible that memphis and rockets have nothing to play for so I could see both resting their starters.

mightybosstone
04-07-2013, 11:20 PM
While I don't necessarily think its the most honorably thing to do, I also am not going to sit here and be pious about it. If a team has some sort of strategic reason to lose to prevent a team from making the playoffs, then I actually don't have a problem with them sitting players. You have to look out for your team and your team, alone, and if that means losing a game on purpose to win something bigger down the road, I don't have a huge problem with it.

One recent example was the Suns sitting out Dragic against the Jazz. Dragic had been killing it as of late and by beating the Jazz, they would have shot themselves in the foot, with the Lakers' pick going to them should LA fail to reach the postseason. Was it honorable? Hardly. But it's not like they deliberately threw the game. They held out their best player to give themselves the best chance to lose.

Now suppose there's some hypothetical situation where the No. 1 seed played Utah or the Lakers the last game of the season with the 8th seed still on the line. If the No. 1 seed feels there is a strategic advantage to facing that team in the playoffs, they might sit their best players and save them for the playoffs. Again, personally, I don't have a problem with that.

HOWEVER, if we're talking about deliberately trying to lose a game or sitting players solely to screw over another franchise with no real benefit for yourself, I would admittedly have a problem with that.

mightybosstone
04-07-2013, 11:22 PM
I don't think either team would be "tanking", just resting their players. It is possible that memphis and rockets have nothing to play for so I could see both resting their starters.

If the Jazz and Lakers are still vying for the 8th seed during the last game of the season, it won't matter if Houston has something to play for or not. The Rockets will have something to play for. If Houston is seriously trying to make a run at Dwight, it is in their best interest that the Lakers not make the playoffs this year.

Swashcuff
04-07-2013, 11:25 PM
Not a problem to me. The last opponents of Utah and LAL are Memphis and Houston respectively. Both teams will have to worry about the playoffs; neither can afford to lose a Z-Bo or a Harden in a useless game, just before they make their respective playoff runs.

Even if they ended against bad teams, I wouldn't really feel much. Those teams fighting for the last spot should have played better and secured a spot by now. Especially the Lakers; they have 3 (likely 4) future hall of famers on that team. Even in the worst case scenario, I didn't see them being anywhere past 6th in the conference lol

No point in blaming others for your own shortcomings.

The idea that the OP is putting forward to me is not one in which you're resting your best players in order to ensure that you're healthy for the post season but rather losing a game on purpose so as to ensure that another team isn't able to get into the post season. IMO there is absolutely nothing honourable in an action such as that. Some may see it as strategy to as to ensure that a team like the Lakers is out of the playoffs and they wouldn't have to worry about them others may see it as foolish since said team may be a tougher opponent for SA/OKC thus lending the possibility of a more worn out potential 2nd round matchup if they do indeed beat a higher seeded team.

At the end of the day however there is no honour whatever in losing a game on purpose in a professional sporting league so that one team could miss the playoffs in favour of another. That notion is absolutely idiotic and it matters not if the team is the Lakers or the Bobcats.

Swashcuff
04-07-2013, 11:27 PM
While I don't necessarily think its the most honorably thing to do, I also am not going to sit here and be pious about it. If a team has some sort of strategic reason to lose to prevent a team from making the playoffs, then I actually don't have a problem with them sitting players. You have to look out for your team and your team, alone, and if that means losing a game on purpose to win something bigger down the road, I don't have a huge problem with it.

One recent example was the Suns sitting out Dragic against the Jazz. Dragic had been killing it as of late and by beating the Jazz, they would have shot themselves in the foot, with the Lakers' pick going to them should LA fail to reach the postseason. Was it honorable? Hardly. But it's not like they deliberately threw the game. They held out their best player to give themselves the best chance to lose.

Now suppose there's some hypothetical situation where the No. 1 seed played Utah or the Lakers the last game of the season with the 8th seed still on the line. If the No. 1 seed feels there is a strategic advantage to facing that team in the playoffs, they might sit their best players and save them for the playoffs. Again, personally, I don't have a problem with that.

HOWEVER, if we're talking about deliberately trying to lose a game or sitting players solely to screw over another franchise with no real benefit for yourself, I would admittedly have a problem with that.

Well basically we have the same brain but we explain ourselves different. Every single this I just said and I saw this post after I posted.

still1ballin
04-07-2013, 11:27 PM
no offense to Utah, but who really wants to see a Utah vs Spurs/Thunder in the first round over Lakers vs Spurs/Thunder?

You can hate the Lakers all you want, but as a basketball fan, you want to see the Lakers in it.

mngopher35
04-07-2013, 11:34 PM
If the Jazz and Lakers are still vying for the 8th seed during the last game of the season, it won't matter if Houston has something to play for or not. The Rockets will have something to play for. If Houston is seriously trying to make a run at Dwight, it is in their best interest that the Lakers not make the playoffs this year.

I actually hadn't even considered that, interesting situation.

kdspurman
04-07-2013, 11:38 PM
Gotta agree with Avenged. Tanking is never honorable......in any sport. It comes off as pathetic.

A shame the league doesn't do anything about it. They're too busy worrying about their nationally televised games and who is or isn't playing :o

John Walls Era
04-07-2013, 11:40 PM
no such thing as honor in the nba.

mightybosstone
04-07-2013, 11:42 PM
no offense to Utah, but who really wants to see a Utah vs Spurs/Thunder in the first round over Lakers vs Spurs/Thunder?

You can't hate the Lakers all you want, but as a basketball fan, you want to see the Lakers in it.

As an NBA fan, I do. But as a Rockets' fan, I want to see the Lakers crumble so that the Rockets have a legitimate chance at Dwight Howard. And we're probably not the only fan base that thinks this way. I'm sure Dallas, Atlanta and any other team with cap space feels the same way. And the Suns certainly want the Lakers to fail to get their draft pick.

Spite and revenge are not the only motivations for wanting to see a team fail.

sunsfan88
04-07-2013, 11:53 PM

You can't hate the Lakers all you want, but as a basketball fan, you want to see the Lakers in it.

Lakers struggle to beat teams like the Wizards, Cavs, Suns etc. What makes you think that the Lakers have a better chance of beating SAS than Utah?

The front court of Utah has a clear advantage over the Spurs...especially with its depth. If they can just Mo Williams and Hayward to play well, it can very well be quite a series.

Bishnoff
04-07-2013, 11:56 PM

I'd be fine with that because then the Suns will get the Lakers pick instead of the Heat :D

LAKobeBryant
04-08-2013, 12:00 AM
A shame the league doesn't do anything about it. They're too busy worrying about their nationally televised games and who is or isn't playing :o

well teams could obviously use its the end of the season excuse.

still1ballin
04-08-2013, 12:00 AM
Lakers struggle to beat teams like the Wizards, Cavs, Suns etc. What makes you think that the Lakers have a better chance of beating SAS than Utah?

The front court of Utah has a clear advantage over the Spurs...especially with its depth. If they can just Mo Williams and Hayward to play well, it can very well be quite a series.

Not saying the Lakers have a chance against OKC or SA, but having them in the playoffs will be good entertainment. Kobe vs Duncan. LA vs SA. A lot of history there back and forth over the years. Its good for the NBA and good for business.

Utah vs SA/OKC doesn't attract. Last years series between SA and Utah was boring.

amos1er
04-08-2013, 12:02 AM
I actually hadn't even considered that, interesting situation.

I don't think missing the playoffs will influence Dwight all that much. I think in the end it will come down to $$$ and whether or not Jim Buss admits defeat and brings Phil back into the organization.

4milesperday
04-08-2013, 12:04 AM
I actually believe Portland are tanking to Utah and Dallas because it will make them feel better about missing the play-offs if the Lakers do. Watch the Portland-Utah games and the effort they put up against Dallas...now watch the game they play against the Lakers.

Raps18-19 Champ
04-08-2013, 12:06 AM
Doesn't matter if it's great or not. Tanking isn't honorable.

This.

mngopher35
04-08-2013, 01:06 AM
I don't think missing the playoffs will influence Dwight all that much. I think in the end it will come down to $$$ and whether or not Jim Buss admits defeat and brings Phil back into the organization.

Personally I think money will be the biggest factor, which is why I predict he stays. That being said, the rockets do at least have some motivation to play that game even if not for their own seed.

TrueFan420
04-08-2013, 01:15 AM

You can hate the Lakers all you want, but as a basketball fan, you want to see the Lakers in it.

As a basketball fan I would rather not watch the eye sore that has been la this year

bootleg42
04-08-2013, 01:15 AM

Actually, I'd like to see Utah get in and upset the 1 seed.

That would be a great story for basketball, because it would be something new and unpredictable.

Just my two cents.

Hellcrooner
04-08-2013, 01:31 AM
should be

1 expelled from playofs if they are in them.

2 lose their next two frist rounders.

3 receive a heavy fine.

torocan
04-08-2013, 02:06 AM
Another interesting angle is that the Houston/Lakers game is going to be nationally televised.

What an odd set of circumstances.

Houston could not only be the Lakers' last chance to get into the play offs (and impact re-signing Howard), but they could also have to make a decision about whether to sit Harden, Lin, Parsons and Asik during a nationally televised game. Not to mention, with Houston only 1.0 games behind Golden State (Houston holds the tie-breaker), this could have 6th spot seeding implications.

I'm not sure how I would feel about a bunch of Laker fans praying that McHale doesn't play Harden and Lin for the last game of the season. Okay, *maybe* it might be amusing. :)

mdm692
04-08-2013, 02:13 AM
Not saying the Lakers have a chance against OKC or SA, but having them in the playoffs will be good entertainment. Kobe vs Duncan. LA vs SA. A lot of history there back and forth over the years. Its good for the NBA and good for business.

Utah vs SA/OKC doesn't attract. Last years series between SA and Utah was boring.

Don't lie to yourself because from an entertainment stand point the Lakers are a train wreck. Regardless of what happens the 8th seed will be swept or win a game at most.

LakersIn5
04-08-2013, 02:38 AM

this

seriously, the lakers and jazz would suck it up in the playoffs. but atleast if the lakers make it they will give the nba good ratings plus they are entertaining and the storyline is great with a top 10 player all time, 2 time mvp, and a divawight howardg

Greet
04-08-2013, 02:39 AM
Don't lie to yourself because from an entertainment stand point the Lakers are a train wreck. Regardless of what happens the 8th seed will be swept or win a game at most.

There are teams that wouldn't really want to play Kobe/Dwight/Nash/Gasol in the playoffs.

sunsfan88
04-08-2013, 04:31 AM
There are teams that wouldn't really want to play Kobe/Dwight/Nash/Gasol in the playoffs.

And which are those teams? The Spurs? Ha the Spurs JV team (which almost beat Miami) would destroy the Lakers. OKC? Stop, your making Westbrook giggle. LAC? Please...the Lakers would be out of breath by game 3. Same with the Nuggets and Rockets. The Warriors would shoot the Lakers out of the building.

The only team the Lakers have reasonable chance of beating in the playoffs is Memphis. And even then it's doubtful.

SportsFanatic10
04-08-2013, 06:19 AM
definitely not honorable.

PhillyFaninLA
04-08-2013, 06:33 AM

SlimKid
04-08-2013, 09:09 AM
It's a game played for entertainment - honor is just a catchword in this context.

Hawkeye15
04-08-2013, 01:08 PM

Yeah, this is exactly how I feel about the subject.

xRipCity
04-08-2013, 01:27 PM
Not honorable but smart. How else does one get Durant, Westbrook, and Harden?

mdm692
04-08-2013, 01:53 PM
In the East yes. In the West no one is scared of LA one bit. The Spurs will lock em down defensively and Parker will leave Nash eating dust. OKC, LAC, DEN, HOU will run the Lakers out of the building before they can do anything.

Blitzbolt
04-08-2013, 03:17 PM
The Grizzlies are fighting the Clipps and Denver for home court so we might not get to tank/rest players.

But I don't mind it at all F#$! the Lakers if the utah game means the lakers won't make it then I will cheer for the JAZZ in Memphis.

Tony_Starks
04-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Tanking is never cool under any circumstances. I don't care if you justify it under the guise of tanking for a pick, tanking to avoid somebody in the playoffs, or just tanking out of spite.

Either way it's just not good basketball. Not good for the fans, not good for the game.

Like when Phoenix started tanking it Dragic was actually pissed because he wanted to play. Some of the players started grumbling that they cared more about trying to get picks than trying to be competitive. It's kinda pathetic....

KnickaBocka.44
04-08-2013, 06:06 PM
Tanking is never cool under any circumstances. I don't care if you justify it under the guise of tanking for a pick, tanking to avoid somebody in the playoffs, or just tanking out of spite.

Either way it's just not good basketball. Not good for the fans, not good for the game.

Like when Phoenix started tanking it Dragic was actually pissed because he wanted to play. Some of the players started grumbling that they cared more about trying to get picks than trying to be competitive. It's kinda pathetic....

There are plenty of Suns fans here in Phoenix rooting for the Suns to lose as many games as possible. Being a fan is about realizing what is best for your team also and true fans of the Suns (and other teams in similar situations) know that the best thing for this team is to get 2 lottery picks and start from scratch.

One of my best friends after the loss to the Hornets the other night said, "Big loss for the Suns tonight!" With a fist pump and a smile because we were playing another horrible team.

Tanking may be a bit pathetic, but at least they are trying to improve their team in the long run, because nothing is as pathetic as finishing last in your division.

NoahH
04-09-2013, 12:07 PM
I was thinking about this... I was wondering if OKC would do this but then if they tanked today against Utah then the Spurs would lock up #1 and get UTAH instead of LA int he 1st round. It would be a different story if OKC was well in first, then I'd consider resting Westie, Durant and KMart

ILLUSIONIST^248
04-09-2013, 12:10 PM

There is hardly any honor left in the nba. I have a feeling some of these remaining teams will tank to push the Lakers out, oh well.

Tony_Starks
04-09-2013, 03:01 PM
There are plenty of Suns fans here in Phoenix rooting for the Suns to lose
as many games as possible. Being a fan is about realizing what is best for your team also and true fans of the Suns (and other teams in similar situations) know that the best thing for this team is to get 2 lottery picks and start from scratch.

One of my best friends after the loss to the Hornets the other night said, "Big loss for the Suns tonight!" With a fist pump and a smile because we were playing another horrible team.

Tanking may be a bit pathetic, but at least they are trying to improve their team in the long run, because nothing is as pathetic as finishing last in your division.

That's under the assumption that they'll make wise decisions in the draft. In the Suns case that's a BIG assumption.

I don't know man I'm from the old school, even if my team is garbage I rather see them go all out until the end and let the chips fall where they may. If they're that horrible they'll end up with a high pick anyway.

If you notice the blatant tankers mysteriously never get rewarded in the draft....

KnickaBocka.44
04-09-2013, 03:20 PM
That's under the assumption that they'll make wise decisions in the draft. In the Suns case that's a BIG assumption.

I don't know man I'm from the old school, even if my team is garbage I rather see them go all out until the end and let the chips fall where they may. If they're that horrible they'll end up with a high pick anyway.

If you notice the blatant tankers mysteriously never get rewarded in the draft....

In this specific instance though we are talking about pretty subtle tanking, in the sense that they (the Suns) are really only tanking against 1 team.

On top of that, if the Lakers make the playoffs the Suns don't even get the pick so there is even more incentive.

OceanSpray
04-09-2013, 03:21 PM
There is hardly any honor left in the nba. I have a feeling some of these remaining teams will tank to push the Lakers out, oh well.

Even if they did, whose fault is that? Are you saying the LAL need teams to help them make it to the playoffs? Lmao

Tony_Starks
04-09-2013, 03:39 PM
In this specific instance though we are
talking about pretty subtle tanking, in the sense that they (the Suns) are really only tanking against 1 team.

On top of that, if the Lakers make the playoffs the Suns don't even get the pick so there is even more incentive.

When the only way you barely win games is with your best player and you sit him out healthy,against his will, that's not very subtle in my book.

But whatever lakers shouldn't have put themselves in that predicament but damn at least try to be clever about throwing the game. Say he had tendentious that always works...

8kobe24
04-09-2013, 04:14 PM

I understand the need to win at all cost...but tanking isn't one of them. To be the best team, you shouldn't have to tank just to avoid opponents. You can say all you want about how great it is...but it's not honorable.

8kobe24
04-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Even if they did, whose fault is that? Are you saying the LAL need teams to help them make it to the playoffs? Lmao

You make it sound like someone is playing the blame game. No one is blaming anyone for tanking. I thought was honor/dishonor was the conversation here...

Tony_Starks
04-09-2013, 10:50 PM
Phoenix just goal tended a missed 3 pointer to lose at the buzzer. I've never ever EVA seen that before in my life.

The defense rest it's case, they don't need to tank they're hot garbage.

Swashcuff
04-09-2013, 10:56 PM
Phoenix just goal tended a missed 3 pointer to lose at the buzzer. I've never ever EVA seen that before in my life.

The defense rest it's case, they don't need to tank they're hot garbage.

Just saw that.... the basics of basketball SEVERELY lacking by O'Neal on that one.

Tony_Starks
04-09-2013, 11:03 PM
Just saw that.... the basics of basketball
SEVERELY lacking by O'Neal on that one.

I would seriously drug test him after the game like dude wtf were you thinking? Maybe he thought they were playing by international rules...

torocan
04-10-2013, 06:57 AM
I would seriously drug test him after the game like dude wtf were you thinking? Maybe he thought they were playing by international rules...

Either that or it was the most Veteran move ever... more lotto balls, and lose in a way that doesn't actually look like tanking.

Not sure I would give JO that much credit though... :)

JiffyMix88
04-10-2013, 08:19 AM

naw not really I'd rather watch the younger and funner basketball team

Nats_vcu-Okc35
04-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Personally I think money will be the biggest factor, which is why I predict he stays. That being said, the rockets do at least have some motivation to play that game even if not for their own seed.

In general, yes. In reality, not quite. Contractually, the difference is about 3 mil b/c of taxes were he to sign in Texas even with the 5th year. One of the highest income taxes, versus a non-existent income tax. Rockets motivation is to impress Howard in the playoffs, and I'm sure that they're hoping he watches them at home.

In regards to tanking...

YOU BRING GREAT DISHONOR UPON YOUR FAMILY!!

I selfishly hope that none of these teams tank. This entire offseason, the NBA forum will be flooded with how the lakers got screwed out of the playoffs, and a team as bad as this one has been deserves no excuses if they don't make it.