PDA

View Full Version : Clippers eyeing Stan Van Gundy

Clippersfan86
04-06-2013, 09:41 AM
"Del Negro's well-chronicled desire for the Clips to trade for Boston's Kevin Garnett in February, coupled with his bosses' well-chronicled reluctance to part with both Eric Bledsoe and DeAndre Jordan in a KG deal, has spawned the impression of competing agendas behind closed doors in Clipperland. It's also undeniably worrisome for Del Negro that, according to sources, Stan Van Gundy's availability already has the Clippers highly intrigued."

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/weekenddime-130405-06/weekend-dime

Best news I'll hear all weekend. Let's hope the media keeps throwing this out there.. forcing both sides to conduct a secret meeting and work something out. Nothing would make me happier this summer.

SteBO
04-06-2013, 09:45 AM
Would be a great move.....but if DeAndre Jordan and Blake Griffin are actually annoyed with CP3 getting on them, they'd better get used to more criticism, because SVG is not a guy you can easily please. Regardless, he's the type of guy that could make a group as talented as this one really get going. VDN just isn't the right coach for this team imo.

Clippersfan86
French newspaper reported this yesterday as well.

"According to ESPN, Vinny Del Negro will not be extended at the end of the season. Unless the Clippers make a major playoff run, reaching at least the conference finals, the GM will hire a new coach, according to our colleagues, Stan Van Gundy would be part of coaches considered.

Cut by Orlando a year ago, Van Gundy is a coach to grasp, and it remembers the way he was humiliated Dwight Howard end of the season when he had asked his officials to cut SVG. It is also an open coach, near his players, and even if Shaq nicknamed "Mister Panic" he proved that Orlando was able to lead a team to the finals."

mightybosstone
I don't care if it's Stan Van Gundy or another talented coach, but the Clippers 100 percent absolutely have to make a coaching change this season. Del Negro has not been able to control his locker room or properly develop Griffin and Jordan as players. And if I'm Chris Paul, I absolutely would not re-sign with the Clippers unless a coaching change is made. I do think Van Gundy would be an excellent choice, and I'm shocked he's been out of coaching as long as he has while other, lesser coaches have gotten coaching jobs elsewhere.

This will be an interesting story line to watch heading into the off-season.

Clippersfan86
04-06-2013, 09:50 AM
I don't care if it's Stan Van Gundy or another talented coach, but the Clippers 100 percent absolutely have to make a coaching change this season. Del Negro has not been able to control his locker room or properly develop Griffin and Jordan as players. And if I'm Chris Paul, I absolutely would not re-sign with the Clippers unless a coaching change is made. I do think Van Gundy would be an excellent choice, and I'm shocked he's been out of coaching as long as he has while other, lesser coaches have gotten coaching jobs elsewhere.

He said he wanted a year off, that's probably why. Another thing to make it a story to watch is our GM is also off contract this summer. Sterling has a man crush on Vinny.... and he chose Vinny over our GM Neil Olshey last year. If he repeats that mistake... Clippers fans need to boo Sterling at every single game and boycott the team.

Do NOT keep Vinny unless you want to keep holding the team back.

mightybosstone
04-06-2013, 09:53 AM
He said he wanted a year off, that's probably why. Another thing to make it a story to watch is our GM is also off contract this summer. Sterling has a man crush on Vinny.... and he chose Vinny over our GM Neil Olshey last year. If he repeats that mistake... Clippers fans need to boo Sterling at every single game and boycott the team.

Do NOT keep Vinny unless you want to keep holding the team back.

Sterling is far and away one of the worst owners in sports. If he can't see how bad of a fit VDN is for that team, he should sell the Clippers to someone who does, because he'd be completely delusional at that point.

gwrighter
04-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Would be a great move.....but if DeAndre Jordan and Blake Griffin are actually annoyed with CP3 getting on them, they'd better get used to more criticism, because SVG is not a guy you can easily please. Regardless, he's the type of guy that could make a group as talented as this one really get going. VDN just isn't the right coach for this team imo.

Del Negro isn't a good coach, period.

justinnum1
04-06-2013, 12:01 PM
they would be scary with SVG

Chronz
04-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Ill believe it when I see it. Clippers being rational takes some getting used to.

Chronz
04-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Del Negro isn't a good coach, period.

He served his purpose, hes a good coach for floundering franchises trying to boost morale. The next move after a coach like this is usually the disciplinarian/defensive coach or a trendy offensive X&O's coach at the time.

BKLYNpigeon
04-06-2013, 12:27 PM
theres plenty of choices.

I dont know SVG is the best one. The clippers need a players coach, someone that can manage egos. Clippers should go after Mark Jackson since he is on the last year of his contract. Warriors will probably want to extend him, but im sure Marc will have some options.

shep33
04-06-2013, 12:40 PM
SVG is very critical of his players no? I think he's the right guy, but I'm interested in seeing DJ and Blake getting called out when they mess up.

denverfan66
04-06-2013, 12:55 PM
I like SVG on the Clips, but will he get along with their stars? Shaq, Wade and obviously Dwight didn't like something about him and eventually got rid of him.

Chronz
04-06-2013, 12:59 PM
Wrong Van Gundy but its better than nothin aka Del Negro I guess.

Chronz
04-06-2013, 01:01 PM
I like SVG on the Clips, but will he get along with their stars? Shaq, Wade and obviously Dwight didn't like something about him and eventually got rid of him.

We dont need him here forever, just to instill discipline and the best defensive gameplan for this team. JVG would do a far better job of that but hes loving his life off the sidelines, SVG is a fine alternative to his bro. Who else is there?

John Walls Era
04-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Honestly the Clippers just need a HC that will take control of the lockerroom.

Clippersfan86
04-06-2013, 01:10 PM
SVG is very critical of his players no? I think he's the right guy, but I'm interested in seeing DJ and Blake getting called out when they mess up.

That's exactly WHY I'd take one of the Van Gundy bros. Both are insane hardasses who will brutally punish the team when they act like divas and step out of line. He won't hesitate to get in their face during games. Our young guys, specifically DJ and Blake need to be called out like you said. They need a coach who will make them man up.

jimm120
04-06-2013, 01:12 PM

That more has to do with not taking crappy offers. Its like Jeff Van Gundy. He wants back in. But he won't come back unless its the perfect situation. Jeff wanted the Knicks job, but knew Woodson and Phil were ahead of him. Phil was another example. He'd take the Lakers job, but on his terms (tons of money, days off, part of the team!) and he was highly insterested in the Knicks job (hence the second the knicks hired Woodson, he went all "Knicks are bad anyway").

Its about the good situation. Stan Van Gundy isn't just gonna go out and take the Charlotte Bobcats job. He won't.

shep33
04-06-2013, 01:19 PM
I love SVG, and he'll definitely call guys out, heck he'd even call CP3 out if he had to, which is why I love him. He doesn't care who you are, if your playing the wrong way, he'll let you know.

Now, I have no doubt that he'd call out DJ or Blake, but I just wonder how they'll react. Still I'd bring him in, try it out. SVG, Nate McMillan, Byron Scott ( I think his contract is up) should be considered for the Clips job imo

Clippersfan86
04-06-2013, 01:27 PM
I love SVG, and he'll definitely call guys out, heck he'd even call CP3 out if he had to, which is why I love him. He doesn't care who you are, if your playing the wrong way, he'll let you know.

Now, I have no doubt that he'd call out DJ or Blake, but I just wonder how they'll react. Still I'd bring him in, try it out. SVG, Nate McMillan, Byron Scott ( I think his contract is up) should be considered for the Clips job imo

Thing about Stan unlike Vinny is he was punish those players, reduce their minutes, bench them mid game etc and FORCE them to grow some nuts. If they don't respond, it's their failure being exposed. If they can't mentally handle a tough coach then find another career. I think now Vinny has lost some respect on the team because he will never call out CP3+Griffin despite their horse **** play lately, but won't hesitate to call out lesser players like DJ.

In terms of coaching tiers/preferences for me it's...

Tier 1:

Stan Van Gundy
Jerry Sloan
Jeff Van Gundy

Any of these guys would be a HUGE boost to the team for various reasons and immediately elevate the team to top 3 team in the NBA most likely, assuming they can keep most of the team intact this summer, or make a good trade (Bledsoe for a defensive SG who can shoot 3's).

Tier 2:

Lionel Hollins
Nate McMillan
Byron Scott

These guys aren't a huge upgrade over Vinny in terms of being elite coaches but they are better fits. Gritty, defensive minded coaches who don't put up with any BS. They will run the team to death in practice if needed. They also will play our stars big minutes like they should be playing more often anyways.

shep33
04-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Thing about Stan unlike Vinny is he was punish those players, reduce their minutes, bench them mid game etc and FORCE them to grow some nuts. If they don't respond, it's their failure being exposed. If they can't mentally handle a tough coach then find another career. I think now Vinny has lost some respect on the team because he will never call out CP3+Griffin despite their horse **** play lately, but won't hesitate to call out lesser players like DJ.

In terms of coaching tiers/preferences for me it's...

Tier 1:

Stan Van Gundy
Jerry Sloan
Jeff Van Gundy

Any of these guys would be a HUGE boost to the team for various reasons and immediately elevate the team to top 3 team in the NBA most likely, assuming they can keep most of the team intact this summer, or make a good trade (Bledsoe for a defensive SG who can shoot 3's).

Tier 2:

Lionel Hollins
Nate McMillan
Byron Scott

These guys aren't a huge upgrade over Vinny in terms of being elite coaches but they are better fits. Gritty, defensive minded coaches who don't put up with any BS. They will run the team to death in practice if needed. They also will play our stars big minutes like they should be playing more often anyways.

I don't want JVG to coach the Clips for no other reason than selfishly enjoying him call games on Sundays.

Sloan is interesting, kinda weird that he hasn't gotten a call since leaving Utah. Anyways, anybody on that list seems like a better fit, than VDN for that squad.

Lakers + Giants
04-06-2013, 01:39 PM
Clippers should go after Mike Brown.

Chronz
04-06-2013, 01:39 PM

Not a fan of Nate. Hes worn out every PG hes ever coached and they hate playing in his shackled system. I think hes too much of an old school coach, guys like he Hollins are outdated IMO.

utl768
04-06-2013, 02:04 PM
stan van gundy is too negative of a personality

he wears on teams after awhile and its always ends ugly

JasonJohnHorn
04-06-2013, 11:44 PM
I think the Clippers should hold off on the Van Gundy idea. I think they may have a shot at Dwight in the summer. With recent rumours of turmoil in the locker room and BG and CP3 being at odds, a sign-and-trade for Dwight might be a good idea. Dwight wants to play with CP3, and has many reason to leave the Lakers, most especially if they fail to make the playoffs, but a sign-and-trade would centering around BG and Dwight would be great for both teams as it would ensure two franchise players for the long term for the Clippers (CP3 and DH12) while giving the Lakers a young piece (BG) or perhaps two (to match salaries, perhaps they throw in Bledsoe) for the Lakers to build around as they transition into a new era.

Having SVG as coach would throw a wrench in that plan.

Cracka2HI!
04-07-2013, 12:15 AM
"Del Negro's well-chronicled desire for the Clips to trade for Boston's Kevin Garnett in February, coupled with his bosses' well-chronicled reluctance to part with both Eric Bledsoe and DeAndre Jordan in a KG deal, has spawned the impression of competing agendas behind closed doors in Clipperland. It's also undeniably worrisome for Del Negro that, according to sources, Stan Van Gundy's availability already has the Clippers highly intrigued."

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/weekenddime-130405-06/weekend-dime

Best news I'll hear all weekend. Let's hope the media keeps throwing this out there.. forcing both sides to conduct a secret meeting and work something out. Nothing would make me happier this summer.Nothing would make me happier than a Championship, even if it meant keeping Vinny. I do agree this is good news tho. Like we talked about in the other thread it would suck to see Vinny as the coach for our whole window. It really sucks that it's taking our season pretty much completely falling apart to hear rumors like this, but in the long run we'll be better with a different coach.

I think the Clippers should hold off on the Van Gundy idea. I think they may have a shot at Dwight in the summer. With recent rumours of turmoil in the locker room and BG and CP3 being at odds, a sign-and-trade for Dwight might be a good idea. Dwight wants to play with CP3, and has many reason to leave the Lakers, most especially if they fail to make the playoffs, but a sign-and-trade would centering around BG and Dwight would be great for both teams as it would ensure two franchise players for the long term for the Clippers (CP3 and DH12) while giving the Lakers a young piece (BG) or perhaps two (to match salaries, perhaps they throw in Bledsoe) for the Lakers to build around as they transition into a new era.

Having SVG as coach would throw a wrench in that plan.That's an interesting thought. It would really depend how bad it is. If the situation between Blake and CP3 is so bad that CP3 might leave unless we land Howard it would be even more interesting. I can't imagine anyone not taking CP3 and Howard over just Blake.

naps
04-07-2013, 12:48 AM
Would be great for the Clippers. Sloan would also be a terrific choice. I can't believe Sloan is still jobless.