PDA

View Full Version : Mind blowing stat...Dwight Howard and Steve Nash

theheatles
04-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Dwight Howard has missed more free throws this season (332) than Steve Nash has missed in his entire 17-year career (322). (bleacher report)

LAKERS 24/7
04-04-2013, 02:41 PM
lol

JiffyMix88
04-04-2013, 02:45 PM
:laugh:

Bruno
04-04-2013, 02:51 PM
wow, lol.

Dwight being under 50% is unacceptable.

still1ballin
04-04-2013, 03:34 PM
There is no reason for him to shoot this bad. I am confident in myself that I could shoot 51% of free throws! lol

OceanSpray
04-04-2013, 03:59 PM
Damn, the surprising stat is how Nash missed only 322 free throws.. Amazing!

Vampirate
04-04-2013, 03:59 PM
There is no reason for him to shoot this bad. I am confident in myself that I could shoot 51% of free throws! lol

I seroisly doubt that with nerves and all. But still Dwight isn't no ordinary player, this guy coulda been a top centre of all time if he had a polished offensive game and a adequate free throw shooter.

Seriously though, correct me if i'm wrong, but championships are also won with Centre's you can count on in the 4th quarter for offence.

Shaq may have been just as bas a ft shooter, but the guy was an automatic 2 points when with the ball at the rim.

LongWayFromHome
04-04-2013, 05:14 PM
I seroisly doubt that with nerves and all. But still Dwight isn't no ordinary player, this guy coulda been a top centre of all time if he had a polished offensive game and a adequate free throw shooter.

Seriously though, correct me if i'm wrong, but championships are also won with Centre's you can count on in the 4th quarter for offence.

Shaq may have been just as bas a ft shooter, but the guy was an automatic 2 points when with the ball at the rim.

Many people aren't affected by the nerves. Players on my high school varsity team shoot very high percentages even in high profile games in pressure situations.

Vampirate
04-04-2013, 05:19 PM
Many people aren't affected by the nerves. Players on my high school varsity team shoot very high percentages even in high profile games in pressure situations.

Still you're talking about a varsity high school team compared to a whole city watching you're every move.

Dwight is a horrible NBA ft shooter, but to say anybody can go into the game and shoot better is a stretch.

5ass
04-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Nash tried to give him a few tips, but Dwight was too stupid to listen. His ft% keeps regressing.

SportsFanatic10
04-04-2013, 08:00 PM
that really is funny to think about lol.

BALLER R
04-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Its not nerves. Just watch him shoot hes horrible. He's way too stiff.

TrueFan420
04-04-2013, 08:29 PM
How many free throws has Dwight taken overall compared to Nash?

More-Than-Most
04-04-2013, 08:37 PM
I thought this would be a stupid troll thread but that is a fantastic stat and find honestly.

LeperMessiah
04-04-2013, 09:29 PM
This honestly is hilarious.

Teeboy1487
04-04-2013, 09:32 PM
That's insane.

LakerShow
04-04-2013, 09:39 PM
crazy how good nash is at FT's.

AnthonyTyrael
04-04-2013, 09:46 PM
Easy if you compare the soon to be best FT shooter in the history with one of the current worst.

ThuglifeJ
04-04-2013, 10:02 PM
Its not nerves. Just watch him shoot hes horrible. He's way too stiff.

I tend to stiffen up on my shot when I get nervous..

not sayin any NBA player making millions should as bad as he does tho.. honestly he needs to have a couple beers or smoke a cig before each game..He might get tired quicker but honestly his nervousness holds him back more then anything. From choking offensively and on the line

Slug3
04-04-2013, 10:07 PM
You think about players like Howard and Shaq and how many points they could of had if they could just make FTs.

RapOZo
04-04-2013, 10:11 PM

Nerves is a factor, stage, pressure and all that.
But a bad FT Shooter is just bad everywhere from the beginning, long before being a pro, from high school they have this issue, they struggle all their careers, and I really think any decent street baller could shoot over 50% even with the big stage pressure

SeoulBeatz
04-04-2013, 10:13 PM

lol is this a serious statement?

LongWayFromHome
04-04-2013, 10:22 PM
lol is this a serious statement?

You have obviously never experienced high profile varsity games. The atmosphere is much more intense than an NBA game. Here in Chicagoland the gym is standing room only size crowds being absolutely brutal and its win or go home.

LongWayFromHome
04-04-2013, 10:26 PM
How many free throws has Dwight taken overall compared to Nash?

Career:
Nash 3038/3360 90.4%
Dwight 3680/6373 57%

This season:
Dwight 314/646 .486

Also everybody talking about nerves is wrong because Dwight just obv doesn't have the work ethic. His rookie year he shot 67% and has just gotten worse and worse (especially since he started being a cry baby and the lock out)

ThuglifeJ
04-04-2013, 10:40 PM
You have obviously never experienced high profile varsity games. The atmosphere is much more intense than an NBA game. Here in Chicagoland the gym is standing room only size crowds being absolutely brutal and its win or go home.

ummm...the only reason you might have more nerves is because you're younger and are more emotional because of it...

the NBA you are in an ARENA encircled by levels of fans and famouse people up close... not to mention you're being on TV and every move you do will be recorded..heck were on a website analyzing and posting about players actions on and off the court..

dont try saying a varisty basketball game is more intense.. thats only due to young age inexperience

everyone knows the highschoolers are young and emotional if you mess up you have excuses

JasonJohnHorn
04-04-2013, 11:14 PM
The fact that Nash played for nearly twenty years makes that stat even more embarrassing for Dwight! lol

The thing is though, people don't like to foul Nash because he hits his FTs, where as Howard is always being put on the line intentionally.

Vinylman
04-05-2013, 12:25 AM
must be kobe's fault

kArSoN RyDaH
04-05-2013, 06:15 AM
I seriously don't know how he could shoot this bad. Players and coaches, as well as Dwight, have openly spoken about his ability to hit 90% during practice. During the game is an entirely different story.

haggis
04-05-2013, 07:31 AM
I seriously don't know how he could shoot this bad. Players and coaches, as well as Dwight, have openly spoken about his ability to hit 90% during practice. During the game is an entirely different story.

http://i.imgur.com/NChPbai.jpg

blahblahyoutoo
04-05-2013, 10:09 AM
You think about players like Howard and Shaq and how many points they could of had if they could just make FTs.

not howard because he doesn't really have an offense to speak of.

blahblahyoutoo
04-05-2013, 10:12 AM
ummm...the only reason you might have more nerves is because you're younger and are more emotional because of it...

the NBA you are in an ARENA encircled by levels of fans and famouse people up close... not to mention you're being on TV and every move you do will be recorded..heck were on a website analyzing and posting about players actions on and off the court..

dont try saying a varisty basketball game is more intense.. thats only due to young age inexperience

everyone knows the highschoolers are young and emotional if you mess up you have excuses

so by this logic, nobody should shoot FTs well in the NBA.
no sorry, not buying it. Dwight is bad because he's bad. not because of nerves.

sure, you might have butterflies the first few games of your career, heck maybe even the first couple of seasons. but he's a veteran by now and he's missing FTs early in the game when there's no pressure just as easily as he misses them with the game on the line.

ChitownBears22
04-05-2013, 10:17 AM
Nerves.....are you kidding me? The guy has a horrible free throw shot. Very little arc and ugly shooting motion. Face it he is not talented from the stripe. Lakers fans will find an excuse for everything.

Slug3
04-05-2013, 10:21 AM
http://i.imgur.com/NChPbai.jpg

Kobe isn't hitting 91% for the year either, and I highly doubt that guy gets nervous about anything.

theheatles
04-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Dwight needs to consider shooting free throws granny style, plus he could use it as a marketing tactic.

ChitownBears22
04-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Kobe isn't hitting 91% for the year either, and I highly doubt that guy gets nervous about anything.

No it is nerves, Kobe really shoots 100% from the line when it matters.

PhillyFaninLA
04-05-2013, 10:44 AM
I was really hoping this topic wasn't made by a Heat fan or a Lakers fan. I really was.

JAZZNC
04-05-2013, 11:36 AM
The fact that Nash played for nearly twenty years makes that stat even more embarrassing for Dwight! lol

The thing is though, people don't like to foul Nash because he hits his FTs, where as Howard is always being put on the line intentionally.

All the more reason for Dwight to get better at his JOB!! I get sooooo tired of these excuses for Dwight (or any other big man who can't shoot FT's). He just sucks and it's b/c he doesn't work at it enough. Period end of story.

Vampirate
04-05-2013, 11:36 AM
Nerves is a factor, stage, pressure and all that.
But a bad FT Shooter is just bad everywhere from the beginning, long before being a pro, from high school they have this issue, they struggle all their careers, and I really think any decent street baller could shoot over 50% even with the big stage pressure

Oh no doubt Howard will join Shaq as a top Centre, who has no business shooting free throws. I'm just replying to people that say THEY can do better than Howard, like it's that easy.

It's like in the baseball forum when people say anyone can throw a perfect game against the Astros.

Bottom line, if you make the pros in ANY league, you are very good at the sport. You may suck balls compared to everyone else in the PROS but, since you're IN the pros, you're most likely better than everyone not in the pros.

Vampirate
04-05-2013, 11:48 AM
The Lakers, probably have the Top 3 FT shooter and Top 3 worst FT shooter of all time on their roster right now.

NYKNYGNYY
04-05-2013, 12:17 PM
that's so bad jts good

Sandman
04-05-2013, 12:35 PM
Dwight is a horrible NBA ft shooter, but to say anybody can go into the game and shoot better is a stretch.
I don't believe this is true at all.

I think there is some validity to the belief that professionals are better than people off the street at every facet of the game (IE pitchers at bat in the NL),

When it comes to free throws though, there are definitely people off the street that could shoot better than clowns like Andrew Bogut, Dwight Howard or Shaq Oneal. I can shoot at least 50% and thats not even talking trash yet, I think I would average 60-70 easy if I actually counted the hits and misses. I do not understand how these guys can play this game their whole lives and shoot under 50% from the charity stripe. Practice? We talkin bout practice?

You can talk about pressure but that's only relative. These mother ****ers have stone hands and they couldn't hit the water if they fell out of a boat.

Sandman
04-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Dwight needs to consider shooting free throws granny style, plus he could use it as a marketing tactic.

Rick Barry says he could help Dwight Howard make 80 percent of his free throws (http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-11-18/sports/os-bianchi-dwight-howard-rick-barry-20101118_1_dwight-howard-underhanded-style-shaq)

"Machismo and ego is the only reason nobody will even try it anymore," Barry says. "I'm telling you, I could change the dynamic of Dwight Howard's game forever. I would be shocked if I couldn't get him up to 75 or 80 percent from the line.

Stinkyoutsider
04-05-2013, 01:02 PM
With Howard, it's all about mechanics imo.

Could you imagine how much fear this guy could put into people if he could shoot from outside 10 feet? He could use his strength to body you or he could face up and pop a jumper or blow by you for a dunk. But with his free throw shooting problems, it's almost better to take a foul and let him miss one of two.

He should have followed Amare and developed a shooting form. I remember when Amare was out with his first microfracture surgery with the Suns and when he came back, he had a decent looking jumper that he added to his game. Before that, he was somewhat like Howard? Strong, agile, but not dangerous if he's not in the paint.

Howard kind of reminds me of Deandre Jordan when it comes to free throws. We shouldn't hear any complaints from either of them if they're not playing in the 4th quarter of close games.

4milesperday
04-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Well, Howard can also grab Nash's career rebound in a single game.

lavilevi23
04-05-2013, 01:31 PM
wow

Nats_vcu-Okc35
04-05-2013, 03:27 PM
That is incredible on one end of the spectrum, and absolutely awful on the other. Very interesting!

ThuglifeJ
04-05-2013, 09:45 PM
so by this logic, nobody should shoot FTs well in the NBA.
no sorry, not buying it. Dwight is bad because he's bad. not because of nerves.

sure, you might have butterflies the first few games of your career, heck maybe even the first couple of seasons. but he's a veteran by now and he's missing FTs early in the game when there's no pressure just as easily as he misses them with the game on the line.

I wasnt saying this for Dwight I was saying this because someone posted trying to say his high school basketball games are more intense then NBA games for a player.

I agree with what you said though after a couple seasons it should be clear if you can handle the pressures of professional sport. Dwights well into the league now he should be shooting above 50% no doubt he's very weak minded tho so nerves have something to do with it. Either way nervous or not he should be shooting better from the line no excuses