PDA

View Full Version : Newest Ranger Clowe: “I think I’ll fit in real well”

SLY WILLIAMS
04-03-2013, 12:42 PM
Newest Ranger Clowe: “I think I’ll fit in real well”

Ryan Clowe took the red-eye from San Jose after saying some emotional goodbyes to the Sharks and was on the ice this morning at the Rangers’ practice facility for an optional skate. He’ll be in tonight’s lineup against the Penguins and he said he thinks he might start on a line with Brad Richards and Marian Gaborik (not that the Rangers dealing Gaborik today was ever likely but that’s a pretty good indication Gaborik will be with the team at least until this offseason).

Clowe said he doesn’t know many Rangers but does know Brian Boyle and Matt Gilroy through Lightning right wing Teddy Purcell. Clowe, from Newfoundland, said Brad Richards, from Prince Edward Island, was the first to text and the two shared a Canadian Maritimes’ connection. Asked about what he knows about Clowe, Gilroy raved about Clowe’s character and how much he will help the Rangers’ room, as well as the on-ice production Clowe can bring. Clowe’s hands are scarred and scabbed, a testament to how he’ll stand up for his teammates. For instance, Clowe was suspended for two games on Feb. 25 for an incident in which he came off the bench early to confront the Blackhawks’ Andrew Shaw for his hit on the Sharks’ Joe Pavelski.

The 6-foot-2, 225-pound Clowe, 30, with 11 assists and 79 penalty minutes but no goals in 28 games for the Sharks, also confirmed he chose the Rangers because he thought it would be the best fit for him because of their style, plus, he thought coming to the East might help him regain his scoring touch as well. Clowe will wear the same No. 29 he wore with the Sharks.

Clowe said he hoped he wasn’t coming to the Rangers as a rental and believes his performance over the team’s final 13 games will go a long way in determining that.

“Yeah, it’s nice and I put into a lot of thought into coming here,” Clowe said on finally having closure after a few weeks of trade speculation. “Obviously with the no-trade you get that benefit of thinking about it for a while and seeing where you might fit in. I thought it would be a real good fit here. I’ve been watching their games the last couple of weeks, I’ve always liked how New York plays and the style they play. I think they have a lot of real good players, a good core. I think I’ll fit in real well. Obviously, coming down to the deadline, there’s some options where I was going to go but I think New York was my first choice.

“That was a part of it,” Clowe added about playing in the Eastern Conference. “I haven’t had the year I think I wanted to have. Sometimes you feel a change is good. For me a change is probably coming to the East and giving this a shot. I think that weighed on my mind as well.”http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/comments/newest_ranger_clowe_i_think_ill_fit_in_real_well/

NYY09
04-03-2013, 03:14 PM
Thats great to hear. Hope he kicks *** and takes names...

SLY WILLIAMS
04-03-2013, 03:15 PM
Thats great to hear. Hope he kicks *** and takes names...

Funny what a difference a few hours can make. Clowe was just saying he expected to play with Richards and Gabs.