PDA

View Full Version : What will it take to convince Kobe to play 4 more years?

Chronz
03-31-2013, 07:33 PM
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/03/31/kobe-plans-to-decide-future-this-summer/

According to the article, Kobe plans on coming to a decision regarding his retirement by this upcoming Summer. Contrary to popular belief, I dont think he cares at all about the PTS record, I think he cares more about putting his body through a RS ordeal on a contending than anything like that.

Lakers superstar Kobe Bryant, saying he does not want uncertainty over his future to drag through 2013-14 and with the possibility of being offered an extension this offseason, will “in all likelihood” make a decision in the summer over whether to retire after one more season.

While re-affirming that he is leaning toward walking away after an 18th campaign, Bryant made it clear in an interview with NBA.com he expects to make a call before reporting to training camp and probably even long before that. One factor in the decision is the chance to end all the endless questions. Another is to give the Lakers clarity moving forward, in general, and particularly in conjunction with any contract talks that may take place.

I get the feeling Kobe has flip flopped on this stance in the past, but given that the injuries have mounted and his desire to play in Italy, its possible hes coming to a final conclusion about his career.

I just hope that if he decides to end it, he would be open to changing his decision again when the time comes.

But for the sake of the argument, put your self in Kobe's shoes.

If your 8th seeded team makes a push to the 2nd round or even WCF, would that be enough?
What if he gets knocked out in R.1 but only after a grueling 7 game series with the eventual Western Champs.

Or is nothing short of a Finals appearance enough?

Personally, I think every season a player adds to his career adds to his legacy, if it were up to me, Tmac and Shaq would still be playing . It would be sad to see Kobe call it quits when he obviously has so much left in the tank, but its his pride and his career.

Chronz
03-31-2013, 07:41 PM
More from that article:

“I’ll talk to my family and stuff and really see if I want to continue to sacrifice as much as I’m sacrificing right now. I’m putting my body through a lot to just try to get ready to play every single night. To do what I’m doing right now, it’s not easy. I’ll tell you, it’s taken a lot of commitment.”

Is your sense that next season will be your last?

“As I sit here right now, yeah.”

“It’s my decision. It’s really about what I want to do, if I want to train and be psychotic with my training. That’s what it comes down to. It’s really how I’m feeling physically.”

Sounds like Kobe isn't willing to simply half *** anything. Even though Kobe operating at 80% of his normal abilities is still All-NBA caliber, he wont take a lessened load (off the court or on the court) at all.

Which is fine, but as a fan, wouldn't you guys be cool if Kobe stayed even if he wasn't the same maniacal player?

Cant we just enjoy his game abit longer, part of me wishes he wasn't so dedicated this late in the game, its selfish but Id rather see a cruising Kobe than no Kobe at all.

Faneik
03-31-2013, 07:48 PM
I know he's filthy rich, but I just don't see him waiving the $30.5M he's due next season.

Imo, he'll retire in the summer of 2014.

Vinylman
03-31-2013, 07:49 PM
I think it will have more to do with the roster/coach and what jim buss wants to do with the team.

In spite of his blow up back in 07 Kobe is pretty much a company guy and will make his decision based on what is best for the Lakers...

I think retiring a Laker and avoiding an unseemly contract negotiation is more important than sticking around just to beat KAJ's scoring record.

It's obvious the Lakers need major retooling to become contenders again, paying kobe $10 million a year when they only have FA to accomplish the retooling doesn't make alot of sense.

Vinylman
03-31-2013, 07:49 PM
I know he's filthy rich, but I just don't see him waiving the $30.5M he's due next season.

no one is suggesting that he won't play next year only the year after

LAKobeBryant
03-31-2013, 07:50 PM
he wants rings. if FO can build a younger contending team im sure he'll take less money to win for LAL one last time.

Faneik
03-31-2013, 07:53 PM
no one is suggesting that he won't play next year only the year after

you're right... my bad

Chronz
03-31-2013, 07:55 PM

He will play out his contract, that much is certain. This is about whether he signs another extension afterwards.

That said, retiring doesn't mean you dont get money. The team might not have to pay all of it, but the player keeps collecting checks to my knowledge. I remember back in 2002 (when Grant Hill got injured) that if he wanted to retire because of it, they mentioned it would take 2 years before his contract was officially off the books. Thats not the same as not getting paid but if it takes 2 years just to get a retired player off the books, I think its fair to say they are still getting paid.

Faneik
03-31-2013, 08:23 PM
He will play out his contract, that much is certain. This is about whether he signs another extension afterwards.

That said, retiring doesn't mean you dont get money. The team might not have to pay all of it, but the player keeps collecting checks to my knowledge. I remember back in 2002 (when Grant Hill got injured) that if he wanted to retire because of it, they mentioned it would take 2 years before his contract was officially off the books. Thats not the same as not getting paid but if it takes 2 years just to get a retired player off the books, I think its fair to say they are still getting paid.

I remember van horn was still getting paid filthy money after he retired too... not sure the reason why

what about arenas? has he retired? he's one of the top paid players of the current season

setman2000
03-31-2013, 08:31 PM
He can play for the vet minimum and come off the bench in Miami so he can win more rings.

Vinylman
03-31-2013, 08:32 PM
I remember van horn was still getting paid filthy money after he retired too... not sure the reason why

what about arenas? has he retired? he's one of the top paid players of the current season

Van Horn was one of the last guys used in a deadline S&T... pretty sure it was the Kidd deal

Just like Aaron McKie was used in the Pau Gasol trade

Arenas was amnestied... he gets another $22 million next year

barreleffact
03-31-2013, 08:35 PM

Pn the books is probably different from payments to the players. I would think it just means that money is kept in consideration for cap purposes. Otherwise what would stop a max contract player from retiring the day he signs?

About Arenas, he was bought out. His pay is fully guaranteed regardless of an official retirement.

GiantsSwaGG
03-31-2013, 08:40 PM
Not trying to play you Chronz but why do you care? You're a Clippers fan, you should be looking forward to him retiring

Chronz
03-31-2013, 08:44 PM
Not trying to play you Chronz but why do you care? You're a Clippers fan, you should be looking forward to him retiring

My Clippers fandom comes secondary to my NBA fandom. That and as an LA resident and friend of MANY Lakers fans, getting to watch Kobe play at least once a year has become tradition for us. I really miss the Kobe/Tmac battles of the past. Im pretty sure if Kobe retires, the homies arent going to be as excited or willing to go.

Hawkeye15
03-31-2013, 08:53 PM
I doubt he comes back unless he feels the Lakers have a chance to compete for a ring. Not worth all that wear and tear his body goes through to just add to his point total.

amos1er
03-31-2013, 09:15 PM
Hiring Phil Jackson back. :D

Aust
03-31-2013, 10:40 PM
Vet min pls :)

DumDum
04-01-2013, 12:46 AM
tell him he's still the number 1 option pay him 30 mil a year. trade all young potential players away

ILLUSIONIST^248
04-01-2013, 12:57 AM
He can play for the vet minimum and come off the bench in Miami so he can win more rings.

tell him he's still the number 1 option pay him 30 mil a year. trade all young potential players away

Go away trolls.

Bruno
04-01-2013, 01:39 AM
its going to be so strange to watch the Lakers without him. enjoy it while it lasts.

el hidalgo
04-01-2013, 02:01 AM
tell him the new team strategy is pure hero ball. no passing recommended. he will play for 10 more years, guaranteed.

DoMeFavors
04-01-2013, 02:05 AM
I dont know I kind of have a feeling he is saying all this because he wants another huge contract like 5 years 80-100 million from lakers, but if he doesnt care about $ then I think he just wants to always be one of the top players in the NBA and not be a washed up hasbeen like Jason Kidd looks now. Go out as one of the best in the game.

b@llhog24
04-01-2013, 02:09 AM
its going to be so strange to watch the Lakers without him. enjoy it while it lasts.

I think I'm actually gonna miss the guy a little. I know after Manu retires, I'm gonna cry like a little *****.

b@llhog24
04-01-2013, 02:10 AM
I dont know I kind of have a feeling he is saying all this because he wants another huge contract like 5 years 80-100 million from lakers, but if he doesnt care about $ then I think he just wants to always be one of the top players in the NBA and not be a washed up hasbeen like Jason Kidd looks now. Go out as one of the best in the game.

Nice shot.

DoMeFavors
04-01-2013, 02:12 AM
Nice shot.

not trying its just sad him still playing, he was one of the greatest pg's of all time and now he is playing and most of the league is better. Suprised he wouldnt just retire in 2011 after he started on the championship team. Kidd was my favorite Net when he was as a Net but just seeing him now is sad. Suprised he doesnt mind getting out played by dleaguers!

b@llhog24
04-01-2013, 02:14 AM
not trying its just sad him still playing, he was one of the greatest pg's of all time and now he is playing and most of the league is better. Suprised he wouldnt just retire in 2011 after he started on the championship team. Kidd was my favorite Net when he was as a Net but just seeing him now is sad. Suprised he doesnt mind getting out played by dleaguers!

Enjoy the ride while you can. To me, someone being my favorite player goes beyond on court ability.

DoMeFavors
04-01-2013, 02:17 AM
Enjoy the ride while you can. To me, someone being my favorite player goes beyond on court ability.

not to me I liked Shaq also but seeing him on the court was painful he wasnt the same. I dont want to see a washed up guy on the court playing. Cause thats my last memories watching that player.

b@llhog24
04-01-2013, 02:18 AM
Agree to disagree.

Utd7
04-01-2013, 02:25 AM
I'll tell you what whether you like him or hate him, the day Kobe retires it's going to be a sad day for basketball.

DumDum
04-01-2013, 03:44 AM
I'll tell you what whether you like him or hate him, the day Kobe retires it's going to be a sad day for basketball.

no it won't

naps
04-01-2013, 04:34 AM
I highly doubt he retires unless his decline is pretty steep next season. He will keep playing as long as he's an all-star level performer.

AnthonyTyrael
04-01-2013, 06:00 AM
He likes competiton. Besides hunting another championship ring and perhaps sooner or later getting Phil Jackson back involved, he really seems to think about changing his role on the team, being a pure PG who can still take over offensively any time and thus showing the world that he can be not one of the best at this postion but maybe the best for a season or two by his will and talent left alone. Wilt did it, leading the league in assists in his very last year. Competition and proofing ppl wrong might be too tempting for Kobe...once again. He broguht it up and I think he really would like that. He probably wold begin to enjoy the game even more if he can limit his TO and feel some sort of relief, that he's not feeling right now, besides the responsibility the PG postion comes with.

JasonJohnHorn
04-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Players take stances like this all the time in order to position themselves for contract negotiations. Kobe says he wants to retire, they say, oh, come on, play two more season... we'll pay you 10 mill per? and he's like, well... you gotta make it worth my while... I got 200 mill sitting in the bank right now... ok, 20 mill per. It's just like a guy who has every intention of staying with the team he's on says "I'll test the market this season." you know they are staying, they just want to make sure that they get the best paycheck possible in the process.

Plus there is that competitive drive. Some guys got it and some guys don't. Jordan had other dreams, lie baseball and golf, Kobe doesn't have that, and even though Jordan had that, he still came back twice. Guys who compete don't know how to turn it off. They just don't. And as long as there is a team willing to pay him tens of millions of dollars, he will be playing basketball.