PDA

View Full Version : Should The League Fine The Heat?

lamzoka
03-31-2013, 05:54 PM
The Miami Heat announced that forward LeBron James, guard Dwyane Wade and guard Mario Chalmers will sit out Sunday night's game against the San Antonio Spurs.

Yes, I think they should be fine.

what do you guys think?

B'sCeltsPatsSox
03-31-2013, 05:56 PM
Not a TNT game so no.

kntresistheheat
03-31-2013, 05:58 PM
Ummm. Bosh is still playing. :) JK not sure, I think this is tuff because its time to gear up for the playoffs and coming off a 27 game winning streak. I do understand what your saying because it happen to the spurs and this is our only visit to San Antonio.

kntresistheheat
03-31-2013, 05:58 PM
Not a TNT game so no.

This is true.

Raps18-19 Champ
03-31-2013, 05:59 PM
No. I think they should rescind the fine of the Spurs.

Tayzak15
03-31-2013, 06:00 PM
They have to if Stern was serious about fining the Spurs earlier this year. Spurs had played their 4th game in 5 nights. Heat haven't played in a couple days.

ATX
03-31-2013, 06:01 PM
Don't care. Not happy that they are out, but they are out due to "Injuries", so IDK. It's just one game. Fine 'em or not, I just don't care. If they are legitimately out to injuries, then they can't be fined, but even I'm skeptical about this one.

lamzoka
03-31-2013, 06:01 PM
Not a TNT game so no.

It's on NBA Tv, I know its not consider national Tv, but i believe its available to every cable subcribers

LINsation
03-31-2013, 06:02 PM
They should get fined double what the spurs got

Chronz
03-31-2013, 06:04 PM
**** Stern

utl768
03-31-2013, 06:08 PM
if ur going by the precedent sure but its not going too happen

SteBO
03-31-2013, 06:09 PM
Huh?? :confused:

I actually think the league should give San Antonio their money back. This whole thing is silly...

lamzoka
03-31-2013, 06:13 PM

I actually think the league should give San Antonio their money back. This whole thing is silly...

you know what, i actually agree with this. Just give the spurs their $$$ money, cuz the whole fine thing was stupid in the first place.

lvlheaded
03-31-2013, 06:15 PM
The Spurs shouldn't have been fined. The problem is, they were, so a precedent has been set. I understand that this isn't a national TV game, but that shouldn't matter. Stern made it out last time that it "wasn't fair to the fans" that the Heat fans and NBA fans were robbed of the full Spurs lineup vs the full Heat lineup, so the same should apply here. Alas, he will have a reason why the Heat shouldn't be fined and ignore it.

The Heat are his biggest cash cow, he won't do anything to harm that. That's why he wouldn't let the Lakers have CP3, he was afraid it would threaten the Heat. It's a conspiracy!

Kidding about that last part

SugeKnight
03-31-2013, 06:18 PM
Yes they should be fined. I'd be pissed if I were going to this game. You pay top dollar to see the best play, not to see them sit on the bench.

Dade County
03-31-2013, 06:20 PM

why?

Hawkeye15
03-31-2013, 06:22 PM
The Spurs shouldn't have been fined, but at least Miami is coming up with injuries, and Wade has been sitting. Pops flat out just sent them home and rested them. Hell, he has reported the reason for DNP's as "old" before, its in the boxscore haha. If you want to rest players, list an injury, and you are covered.

Plus its late in the season, so its typical now for good teams to start resting players. I thought the fine was garbage, and would set a dangerous precedent. Time to see if that idiot Stern thought his actions through or not.

D-Leethal
03-31-2013, 06:25 PM
Spurs got fined too much, probably shouldn't have been fined at all, but there were unique circumstances that Stern pointed out that led to them getting fined. Heat won't and shouldn't be fined.

justinnum1
03-31-2013, 06:37 PM
Totally different. The players are there(pop flew his guys home a day early) and they have "legit reasons to be missing games" with "injuries" Pop said he was just resting his guys.
But haters will always hate.

DChibes
03-31-2013, 06:39 PM
They sure as hell should

The Spurs did so the Heat should as well, as dumb as it may be.

LOOTERX9
03-31-2013, 06:40 PM
hahaha the heat are just paying back the spurs for the crap they did to their home fans when pop sent his top players home from miami. Now the spurs home crowd knows how it feels to get ripped off. I say yes heat should get fined but i applaud them for letting the spurs and their fans know how it feels to be cheated out of seeing the best players on the court

DChibes
03-31-2013, 06:42 PM
Totally different. The players are there(pop flew his guys home a day early) and they have "legit reasons to be missing games" with "injuries" Pop said he was just resting his guys.

Oh yes great point because im sure people paid 75$+ a ticket to see LeBron and Wade sit on the bench and drink Gatorade, soooooo worth the price of admission. Wish I had a ticket, that is some high quality entertainment.:facepalm:

kdspurman
03-31-2013, 06:43 PM

A coach doesn't need a reason to sit his players. Hence the "coaches decision" tag. And like I keep saying, the Spurs schedule vs Miami's the first meeting around was a complete joke. He can do what what he wants with his players if its in the best of their interest.

No one is hating, but there should be something done to make it right/fair by the league. And it can start with rescinding what was done by the Spurs.

But the league doesn't tend to go with the "right" call even if it's obvious

kdspurman
03-31-2013, 06:46 PM
hahaha the heat is just paying back the spurs for the crap they did to their home fans when pop sent his top players home from miami. Now the spurs home crowd knows how it feels to get ripped off. I say yes heat should get fined but i applaud them for letting the spurs and their fans know how it feels to be cheated out of seeing the best players on the court

And how bout the Heat fans in San Antonio? Spurs fans get to see their team win a game and see it's star players. I'm sure they'll survive. Not that Heat fan who thought he could sue the Spurs for them sitting their guys

Marlin234
03-31-2013, 06:48 PM
Spurs could have easily rested its starters n the game the night before the magic. But rather did it to the HEAT. Clearly his motives was not to just "rest" players. It is what is and Pop will need to Adjust against this team in the playoffs if it comes down to it.

Jdawg
03-31-2013, 06:49 PM
A coach doesn't need a reason to sit his players. Hence the "coaches decision" tag. And like I keep saying, the Spurs schedule vs Miami's the first meeting around was a complete joke. He can do what what he wants with his players if its in the best of their interest.

No one is hating, but there should be something done to make it right/fair by the league. And it can start with rescinding what was done by the Spurs.

But the league doesn't tend to go with the "right" call even if it's obvious

It's pretty scary to think about for most NBA fans that teams could possibly be treated so differently for the same action.

And if the argument is that the Heat listed their players out with injury, then is the lesson here that teams should just lie? Which goes back to why should teams have to lie about injuries? Coach's have the right to run their team as they see fit.

I think with this move, the Heat are really showing up DAVID STERN. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Pop actually talked with the Heat and suggested something like this just to put the pressure on Sterny.

old blue
03-31-2013, 06:52 PM
Neither should be fined. The heat and spurs are still playing, and the coach has decided to rest his players. Big deal. But I don't watch the nba anyway, so I don't care, to me NCAA is much more exciting nd the players actually care

LOOTERX9
03-31-2013, 06:55 PM
[QUOTE=kdspurman;25776652]And how bout the Heat fans in San Antonio? Spurs fans get to see their team win a game and see it's star players. I'm sure they'll survive. Not that Heat fan who thought he could sue the Spurs for them sitting their guys[

hey I don't like when teams sit star players out. I was happy spurs got fined for it, I hope miami does get fined too. I don't want all the teams to start doing this crap. it makes these games meaningless to watch. But i am happy to see the disappointment on the spurs fans faces in the crowd tonight who defended pop sending his star players home during that miami visit

LASportsFan1996
03-31-2013, 06:56 PM
If the Spurs were fined, they should be fined

LOOTERX9
03-31-2013, 06:57 PM
Neither should be fined. The heat and spurs are still playing, and the coach has decided to rest his players. Big deal. But I don't watch the nba anyway, so I don't care, to me NCAA is much more exciting nd the players actually care

stick to boring baseball and your low talented college basketball league.

ps. Mlb needs the roids back asap cause the players can't hit anymore without the juice

justinnum1
03-31-2013, 07:00 PM
Oh yes great point because im sure people paid 75$+ a ticket to see LeBron and Wade sit on the bench and drink Gatorade, soooooo worth the price of admission. Wish I had a ticket, that is some high quality entertainment.:facepalm:

Yea, get mad at stern. :rolleyes:

old blue
03-31-2013, 07:05 PM
stick to boring baseball and your low talented college basketball league.

ps. Mlb needs the roids back asap cause the players can't hit anymore without the juice

Wow why the hate. It is just the nba. Turn on the duke Louisville game. And actually watch some true coaching and team play. Last nba game I went to, I wanted my money back, Back to the original statement, if they want to rest players, so what. So what

Slug3
03-31-2013, 07:08 PM
I mean Miami is using the excuse that they are injured and not resting and are even at the game and not home. I dont agree with SA getting fined when they did, but you cant really prove these guys are not injured even though we most likely know they are.

kdspurman
03-31-2013, 07:10 PM
hey I don't like when teams sit star players out. I was happy spurs got fined for it, I hope miami does get fined too. I don't want all the teams to start doing this crap. it makes these games meaningless to watch. But i am happy to see the disappointment on the spurs fans faces in the crowd tonight who defended pop sending his star players home during that miami visit

Something tells me their faces won't be disappointed tonight....

JasonJohnHorn
03-31-2013, 07:14 PM
This is what will happen. Nothing. The Heat are claiming the guys are injured, or recouping from injuries, and the Spurs did not say the same when they sat out several guys.

The Heat are doing essentially the same thing the Spurs did, so in theory they should be fiend just as the Spurs were, but they learned from the Spurs mistake and so gave advance notice and cited injuries.

I do not think it is a coincidence that the Heat are choosing to rest their guys against the Spurs though. This seems intentional.

I think Spo believes the Spurs are better and doesn't want to risk making the Heat look vulnerable against a strong team. If the Spurs win, it's because LBJ and Wade are out, not because they aren't as good, where as if LBJ and Wade were in, and they lost, people would cite this game as cause for the Heat to be concerned.

As a fan, I think this is a bad policy. If guys are healthy they should suit up for the game. I understand if you play them less minutes, but in all honesty, they should be on the floor until the game is out of reach, either for them, or for the other team.

SanAntonioSpurs23
03-31-2013, 07:19 PM
:laugh:

SanAntonioSpurs23
03-31-2013, 07:23 PM
[QUOTE=kdspurman;25776652]And how bout the Heat fans in San Antonio? Spurs fans get to see their team win a game and see it's star players. I'm sure they'll survive. Not that Heat fan who thought he could sue the Spurs for them sitting their guys[

What disappointment? :laugh: I for one dont care if LBJ or Wade play. I want to see the Spurs not Miami

SlimKid
03-31-2013, 07:25 PM
No - but the Spurs shouldn't have been, so who knows Stern will do.

LOOTERX9
04-01-2013, 02:22 AM
Wow why the hate. It is just the nba. Turn on the duke Louisville game. And actually watch some true coaching and team play. Last nba game I went to, I wanted my money back, Back to the original statement, if they want to rest players, so what. So what

stop going to sacramento vs wizards games

Big Zo
04-01-2013, 02:40 AM
This difference here is the Heat did it in March, with 10 games left in the season. The Spurs did it in November. : /

Tony_Starks
04-01-2013, 02:47 AM
They should be, of course they won't. Or at the max they may get a slap on the wrist.

That being said I love the fact that Spo pulled this. It's like a game of chess...

RiceOnTheRun
04-01-2013, 03:10 AM
San Antonio shouldn't have been fined. Neither should the Heat.

I'm sure the Heat would gladly pay $250,000 and get their players ready for championship run anyways.

koreancabbage
04-01-2013, 08:38 AM
they didn't sit Bosh, so not really. As far as well all know Bosh is still a premier big man in the NBA

kdspurman
04-01-2013, 08:50 AM
This difference here is the Heat did it in March, with 10 games left in the season. The Spurs did it in November. : /

In other words, the fans that attend games in March are not as important and it's not a disservice to them?

I really don't care, but that whole Spurs being fined thing was a joke. Way too many gray areas and it just showed Stern abusing his power.

sep11ie
04-01-2013, 09:28 AM
They should be fined, it's almost like they did it on purpose some the Spurs did it in Miami.

rockbottom2010
04-01-2013, 09:54 AM
im gonna be straight up, the spurs lost without their stars when they played in miami....miami won without their stars in san antonio....see the difference...just to break it down...no

2-ONE-5
04-01-2013, 09:59 AM
they clearly did it t get back at SA from last time. how wouldit be fair to fine teh Spurs and not the Heat? None of the 3 had previous stated injuries

kdspurman
04-01-2013, 10:07 AM
im gonna be straight up, the spurs lost without their stars when they played in miami....miami won without their stars in san antonio....see the difference...just to break it down...no

The outcome has no impact whatsoever. Stern declared "substantial sanctions" against the Spurs before the game started. So in theory, your argument is false.

torocan
04-01-2013, 10:13 AM
Spurs shouldn't have been fined in the first place.

That said, if the fine against the Spurs stand, then good for the goose....

beasted86
04-01-2013, 12:30 PM
they clearly did it t get back at SA from last time. how wouldit be fair to fine teh Spurs and not the Heat? None of the 3 had previous stated injuries

Chalmers missed the last game in New Orleans. Wade missed 3 games before the last 2.

There is far more gray area in Miami's case. Makes it much harder to fine them even though I know Stern is itching.

Big Zo
04-01-2013, 01:17 PM
In other words, the fans that attend games in March are not as important and it's not a disservice to them?

I really don't care, but that whole Spurs being fined thing was a joke. Way too many gray areas and it just showed Stern abusing his power.

This is not something the Heat invented last night. Most people should know that there's a chance the stars won't be playing every game this late in the season. It's not something that's expected in November. That's the difference. And at least they had Bosh playing.

John Walls Era
04-01-2013, 01:20 PM
Are people that upset with this? The fines mean nothing, even less than a slap to the hand for these rich franchises.

kdspurman
04-01-2013, 01:59 PM
This is not something the Heat invented last night. Most people should know that there's a chance the stars won't be playing every game this late in the season. It's not something that's expected in November. That's the difference. And at least they had Bosh playing.

Doesn't matter when it is, there isn't anything on tickets sold in March/April that are any different than in November.

I don't think Miami was wrong for it, just as I don't see the Spurs were. A coach has a right to sit his players when he sees fit, and until there is a rule about it, then there should be no penalty.

All it's going to lead to is coaches putting fake injured tags on their players when they want to rest them, like last night, and like Pop has done since the "incident".

koreancabbage
04-01-2013, 02:18 PM
Doesn't matter when it is, there isn't anything on tickets sold in March/April that are any different than in November.

I don't think Miami was wrong for it, just as I don't see the Spurs were. A coach has a right to sit his players when he sees fit, and until there is a rule about it, then there should be no penalty.

All it's going to lead to is coaches putting fake injured tags on their players when they want to rest them, like last night, and like Pop has done since the "incident".

Didn't the announcer for the game say Lebron and Wade were out with injuries though? I swear the announcer said that they were out with specific injuries. (if real or not) Was there a reason why the big three from the Spurs were out?

kdspurman
04-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Didn't the announcer for the game say Lebron and Wade were out with injuries though? I swear the announcer said that they were out with specific injuries. (if real or not) Was there a reason why the big three from the Spurs were out?

Yea just like Kawhi Leonard & Tim Duncan are out with a "sore left knee" for tonights game, when in reality, it's just rest. (identical injury for both lol)

The Spurs sat their guys because they were playing their 4th game in 5 nights, Miami had only played I believe 3 games in a 2 week span and had several days off rest, and most of all, the game was on TNT.

So there was a little hidden FU I think from Pop to the league about scheduling a little more fairly. But let's be honest, if Miami was still on their streak those guys would've played. And there were some comments about last nights game after how they were "tackling" their players in the tunnel after the game "injuries and all"

koreancabbage
04-01-2013, 02:42 PM
Yea just like Kawhi Leonard & Tim Duncan are out with a "sore left knee" for tonights game, when in reality, it's just rest. (identical injury for both lol)

The Spurs sat their guys because they were playing their 4th game in 5 nights, Miami had only played I believe 3 games in a 2 week span and had several days off rest, and most of all, the game was on TNT.

So there was a little hidden FU I think from Pop to the league about scheduling a little more fairly. But let's be honest, if Miami was still on their streak those guys would've played. And there were some comments about last nights game after how they were "tackling" their players in the tunnel after the game "injuries and all"

yup, in all likelyhood. but they did sit Wade out the few games before the end of that streak and considering all the "fouls" James has been getting lol.

But didn't SA tell those three to not even travel with the team? (for rest)

i think this whole thing is blown out of proportion, and I do agree that if the Heat do not get fined, the Spurs should get their money back. (or Heat get fined and get it done with)

JoeBlessU
04-01-2013, 02:43 PM
They should only be fined only if another team was also fined in the past for a similar reason..oh wait that is the case.. Let's just see how much of the heats **** the NBA can fit in its mouth by not fining them.

kdspurman
04-01-2013, 02:53 PM
yup, in all likelyhood. but they did sit Wade out the few games before the end of that streak and considering all the "fouls" James has been getting lol.

But didn't SA tell those three to not even travel with the team? (for rest)

i think this whole thing is blown out of proportion, and I do agree that if the Heat do not get fined, the Spurs should get their money back. (or Heat get fined and get it done with)

Yea they didn't go to the arena at all.

Definitely is blown out of proportion and it should've never been as big as it was. But the decisions Stern makes sometimes never cease to amaze me.

Miami won't get fined (my guess) and Spurs won't get their $ back. I'm sure it's something they'll look at this summer whether putting in rules, or putting something on the tickets to warn fans not all players might show up.

gotoHcarolina52
04-01-2013, 03:05 PM
@KBergCBS 5m

The NBA has no plans to discipline the Miami Heat after three starters missed last night's game in San Antonio, source tells @CBSSports.

:laugh2: I have a feeling this news wont be too well received in this forum.

koreancabbage
04-01-2013, 03:13 PM
Yea they didn't go to the arena at all.

Definitely is blown out of proportion and it should've never been as big as it was. But the decisions Stern makes sometimes never cease to amaze me.

Miami won't get fined (my guess) and Spurs won't get their $ back. I'm sure it's something they'll look at this summer whether putting in rules, or putting something on the tickets to warn fans not all players might show up.

in all fairness, Bosh did play. if that counts for something. He has done it a couple of times (playing without LeBron and Wade) so its nothing new. Thought the timing of this is impeccable LOL

JC_
04-01-2013, 03:21 PM
@KBergCBS 5m

:laugh2: I have a feeling this news wont be too well received in this forum.

The most the league could have done is do an investigation into the "injuries" and go from there. Either way, the Heat gave legitimate reasons for their guys sitting and the Spurs did not.

Teeboy1487
04-01-2013, 03:32 PM

I agree. The fine was ridiculous. If I was in the spurs organization calling the shots, I would have taken legal action against the nba.

mngopher35
04-01-2013, 03:47 PM
They should just let teams be and never fine a team for deciding to rest their players. Take the fine of the spurs back.

ILLUSIONIST^248
04-01-2013, 03:49 PM
**** Stern

^

kdspurman
04-01-2013, 03:53 PM
The most the league could have done is do an investigation into the "injuries" and go from there. Either way, the Heat gave legitimate reasons for their guys sitting and the Spurs did not.

A head coach should not need to label his players as "injured" to sit them. Or better yet "star players on nights where the game is on national television" Just doesn't seem right imo. Too many gray areas that the league needs to further clarify

dtmagnet
04-01-2013, 04:07 PM
It would be hypocritical not to fine them.

DR_1
04-01-2013, 05:35 PM

This

LeperMessiah
04-01-2013, 05:57 PM

This.

LeperMessiah
04-01-2013, 05:58 PM
It's their right if they want to rest, they shoudln't be obligated to fulfill some monetary purpose

D-Block21-Chito
04-01-2013, 06:05 PM

This

GiantsSwaGG
04-01-2013, 06:24 PM
NBA works for the Heat, they will not be fined!

Faneik
04-01-2013, 06:45 PM
I didn't agree when the spurs were fined, so I clearly don't agree with it again.

The Spurs/Heat are the ones who pay their players. The players are employees of the franchise.

If their boss wants to give them a rest-day, it shouldn't be Stern's business.

rockbottom2010
04-01-2013, 07:03 PM
The outcome has no impact whatsoever. Stern declared "substantial sanctions" against the Spurs before the game started. So in theory, your argument is false.

it dun't matter, it just shows that miami is that deep...they won...end of story...i'll bet that there will be no fines at the end of the day

effen5
04-01-2013, 09:15 PM
it dun't matter, it just shows that miami is that deep...they won...end of story...i'll bet that there will be no fines at the end of the day

Do you not remember how close the other game was with the Spurs sending their best players home?

kdspurman
04-01-2013, 09:35 PM

You missed the entire point of my post.......

kdspurman
04-01-2013, 09:36 PM
Do you not remember how close the other game was with the Spurs sending their best players home?

And that was without 6 players, and no big named guys at all. My point was, Stern made his decision to fine before the game started, so even if SA won, he had it in his mind to punish them

rockbottom2010
04-01-2013, 09:45 PM

honestly, the heat were suppose to lose..

rockbottom2010
04-01-2013, 09:46 PM
You missed the entire point of my post.......

remember....lebron, wade, and chalmers were inside the locker room...as for the spurs..duncan, ginobili, parker, and green were in orlando...

kdspurman
04-01-2013, 09:53 PM
remember....lebron, wade, and chalmers were inside the locker room...as for the spurs..duncan, ginobili, parker, and green were in orlando...

How exactly does that benefit the fans who went to watch them? (Since that was a big reason people were upset at the spurs)

kdspurman
04-02-2013, 01:05 PM
It's almost like:

Tell the truth = fine
Lie = no fine

torocan
04-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Just when I thought this thread was about done, Miami is sitting Wade, James and Chalmers against the Knicks tonight... a nationally televised game.

Popcorn anyone?

ldawg
04-02-2013, 03:40 PM
See that double standards is whats wrong with the NBA. Spurs was fine very heavy for resting its plays now Heat is doing it and you hear nothing. F the nba. Feel sorry for the customers who paid to go see the game only to have the featured players sit. Why is the NBA not investigating the absent players? If they were still on the steak they would all still be playing. What is the difference to sitting players in December vs April? Your sport is flawed NBA. Do something about it. Do what is right probe and hand out fines. None of those players are injured none not one. The Game is on a major network station. Why are they not Playing what is wrong with them? I'll tell you not a darn thing and need to be suited up ready to play. The NBA is bias in bias and inconsistent with everything they do the double standards is sickening. From fines, suspensions, nix deals, calls, favored teams, players just plain sickening. If you are not going to fine the Heat reverse your ruling and refund the fine. This is double standards.

amos1er
04-02-2013, 03:52 PM
Of course its not fair. But you can't expect the NBA to be fair when it come to their biggest cash cow Lebron James. They have done nothing in the past to make you think that they would be fair. The NBA is a business, the sooner you all realize that, the better. Maybe then you will all stop being Stern apologists.

ldawg
04-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Of course its not fair. But you can't expect the NBA to be fair when it come to their biggest cash cow Lebron James. They have done nothing in the past to make you think that they would be fair. The NBA is a business, the sooner you all realize that, the better. Maybe then you will all stop being Stern apologists.that is not acceptable. They need to be fine. Making an excuse for the NBA to be Bias solves nothing. If he is the biggest cash flow then it makes even more sense to fine them for fakeing an injury and sitting out. How can two teams in the NBA commit the same crime one get a hefty fine and the other a grin and Spurs need to sue the NBA. Thats bs at its finest.

rocket
04-02-2013, 04:02 PM
Yes fine them for sitting out players to prevent further injury! Genius.

ldawg
04-02-2013, 04:04 PM
The NBA is rigged

ldawg
04-02-2013, 04:05 PM
Yes fine them for sitting out players to prevent further injury! Genius.What injury are you talking about the one the got sitting on their as$ last game? I could sell you a donkey for a race horse

amos1er
04-02-2013, 04:30 PM
that is not acceptable. They need to be fine. Making an excuse for the NBA to be Bias solves nothing. If he is the biggest cash flow then it makes even more sense to fine them for fakeing an injury and sitting out. How can two teams in the NBA commit the same crime one get a hefty fine and the other a grin and Spurs need to sue the NBA. Thats bs at its finest.

Of course it's not acceptable. It matters not. All these Lebronites will continue to pump cash into Sterns pocket no matter how blatantly obvious he is about his favoritism towards James. The correct answer is usually right in our faces. Stern fines the Spurs for resting their starters and he doesn't fine the Heat for the same thing...obviously it's more beneficial for the NBA for the Heat to do well than it is for the Spurs to do well. There is your answer.

amos1er
04-02-2013, 04:31 PM
What injury are you talking about the one the got sitting on their as$ last game? I could sell you a donkey for a race horse

lol another Stern apologist.

Slug3
04-02-2013, 04:34 PM
The thing is. Can anyone prove they are not injured?

ldawg
04-02-2013, 04:42 PM
Well while that is ok for you to think move on and say it is what it is, not every one will accept a slap to the face.

gaughan333
04-02-2013, 04:55 PM
The NBA is a ****ing joke

jmoney23
04-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Get off Miami's d*ick David Stern

KniCks4LiFe
04-02-2013, 05:06 PM
Fine there ***! :mad:

NoahH
04-02-2013, 05:06 PM
LeBron has a hamstring injury. Is Stern gonna fine the HEAT for an injury? KK lets fine the Bulls for sitting D Rose when hes 100% healthy

KniCks4LiFe
04-02-2013, 05:34 PM
I want to see those test results.

Lakers Ghost
04-02-2013, 07:25 PM
yes they do need to get fine. if the spurs got fine for not playing their stars then the heat should too. It was clear that the miami did that in response to what the spurs did earlier in the season. injure my ###:cool:

SportsFanatic10
04-02-2013, 07:29 PM
yes they do need to get fine. if the spurs got fine for not playing their stars then the heat should too. It was clear that the miami did that in response to what the spurs did earlier in the season. injure my ###:cool:

lol no it wasn't. if it was why are lebron/wade/chalmers sitting out again tonight against the knicks? and why would they do that just to "respond" when the number 1 overall seed for the playoffs was on the line? they have minor injuries and are being rested to prevent them from getting worse. they didnt send them on a plane home while listing them as healthy but out to rest like the spurs did.

KniCks4LiFe
04-02-2013, 07:30 PM
f' this we're kicking your arse in tonight!

SportsFanatic10
04-02-2013, 07:35 PM
f' this we're kicking your arse in tonight!

lol probably, but after the spurs game you never know. don't really care though, we practically locked up home court advantage through out the entire playoffs already.

KniCks4LiFe
04-02-2013, 07:42 PM
lol probably, but after the spurs game you never know. don't really care though, we practically locked up home court advantage through out the entire playoffs already.

Fine, we piss on South Beach tonight. :cool:

SportsFanatic10
04-02-2013, 07:44 PM
Fine, we piss on South Beach tonight. :cool:

oh no...shots fired! lol

Knicks21
04-02-2013, 07:57 PM
Put it this way, if you were a fan going to this game you would be pissed.

Its not silly, its letting the fans down, the ones who keep this league running.

beasted86
04-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Put it this way, if you were a fan going to this game you would be pissed.

Its not silly, its letting the fans down, the ones who keep this league running.

The fans nor Stern should have any say or affect on how any organizations play their players.
Team management sets the team up to try and win every game, but you also have long term vision of the safety and future benefit of resting players.

As soon as you let Stern and fans have any affect on how a team is coached, the next thing is fining teams for not playing X player X amount of minutes, or forcing X guy into the rotation because its his hometown and he bought out a whole arena ticket section for family and friends, etc... it will never stop. Stern was wrong in the first place and the Spurs should get a refund.

ldawg
04-02-2013, 09:03 PM
lost all respect for this show its not a sport

ManRam
04-02-2013, 09:23 PM
if you can't see the differences in what the heat did and the spurs did, well, yikes.

the spurs weren't even pretending their players were hurt. they sent them home on a plane before the game and made it clear that they were healthy but they just needed rest. the heat have these players listed as hurt. i'm sure they could play, but they're listed as being hurt. wade's injury is certainly defensible, because he clearly has been dealing with stuff. lebron's? idk. he very well could be 100% fine and this is just rest. but the heat are saying they're hurt, so the league can't fine them. that would truly be unprecedented, and would be fining a team for something that has happened 1000s of times before. what the spurs did was far more unprecedented, hence the fine.

either way, the league needs to sit down after the season and come up with some clear way to go about this to avoid inconsistencies. but this is NOT an inconsistency, because it's nothing like what SAS did. not at all.

kdspurman
04-02-2013, 09:46 PM
if you can't see the differences in what the heat did and the spurs did, well, yikes.

the spurs weren't even pretending their players were hurt. they sent them home on a plane before the game and made it clear that they were healthy but they just needed rest. the heat have these players listed as hurt. i'm sure they could play, but they're listed as being hurt. wade's injury is certainly defensible, because he clearly has been dealing with stuff. lebron's? idk. he very well could be 100% fine and this is just rest. but the heat are saying they're hurt, so the league can't fine them. that would truly be unprecedented, and would be fining a team for something that has happened 1000s of times before. what the spurs did was far more unprecedented, hence the fine.

either way, the league needs to sit down after the season and come up with some clear way to go about this to avoid inconsistencies. but this is NOT an inconsistency, because it's nothing like what SAS did. not at all.

Unprecedented sure, but does that make them wrong? Now all they're going to do is list guys with "injuries" instead of saying rest. Why can't a coach rest his guys when he sees fit? Especially a coach who has done it before. Why is there even a "coach's decision" if you have to list guys as injured now?

I do agree the league needs to come up with a more clear cut rule on this, because it's sort of mess now. And when guys want to rest they're just going to get listed with random injuries. And it also shouldn't matter who gets rested. Pop in fact made Bonner & Blair inactive for identical injuries at some point last month.

Regarding Miami, Spo I'm sure if the Spurs thing never happened wouldn't have listed Lebron with any injury, he'd probably just put rest. (it's a lot like what SA did, just "shadier" for lack of a better word) Yes Pop sent the players home, and I remember people arguing well even if they're on the bench at least the fans can see them. In fact, I think the last game Lebron missed with Wade they were on the bench. I'm almost certain there was a game in Atlanta where they were both on the bench cheering the Heat on in a multiple OT game where Bosh went off. Well Lebron & Wade watched from the locker room in San Antonio. How does that help anyone? How is that any different then Pop sending them home? Both resulted in the fans not seeing the big named guys. And yes BTW after the Spurs/Heat game, they (wade/lebron) tackled their teammates in the tunnel, injuries and all. I don't see how one team can get a pass for almost falsifying a players status, vs a team who said they were resting their players flat out because of the schedule they'd just played.

I don't think the Spurs deserved any fine, so if the league made it right by them, fine don't fine the Heat.

ManRam
04-02-2013, 10:01 PM
Unprecedented sure, but does that make them wrong? Now all they're going to do is list guys with "injuries" instead of saying rest. Why can't a coach rest his guys when he sees fit? Especially a coach who has done it before. Why is there even a "coach's decision" if you have to list guys as injured now?

I do agree the league needs to come up with a more clear cut rule on this, because it's sort of mess now. And when guys want to rest they're just going to get listed with random injuries. And it also shouldn't matter who gets rested. Pop in fact made Bonner & Blair inactive for identical injuries at some point last month.

Regarding Miami, Spo I'm sure if the Spurs thing never happened wouldn't have listed Lebron with any injury, he'd probably just put rest.

no. i shouldn't say i agree with the fine. if it came off that way, then it shouldn't have.

i agree with your logic, i'm just saying that the precedence set (fairly or unfairly) doesn't fit for what the heat did. the league fining SAS doesn't mean they had to fine MIA here...because it's quite a bit different.

i genuinely think wade is banged up, and i don't think anyone has good reason to think otherwise. lebron is a mystery for sure. as unfair as that precedence may be, fining a team without being certain those players aren't actually hurt is something the league can't possibly do. that would be an INCREDIBLY slippery slope, and couldn't have actually ever been a possibility. lebron might be 100% healthy (in all likelihood he is indeed banged up to some degree at this point) but the league can't assume that he is.

so yeah, in the future i'm sure all pops has to do is say "tony and time are banged up, tony has a hamstring and tim a calf injury, and they will not be playing tonight" and the league can't and shouldn't do anything about it.

kdspurman
04-02-2013, 10:07 PM
no. i shouldn't say i agree with the fine. if it came off that way, then it shouldn't have.

i agree with your logic, i'm just saying that the precedence set (fairly or unfairly) doesn't fit for what the heat did. the league fining SAS doesn't mean they had to fine MIA here...because it's quite a bit different.

i genuinely think wade is banged up, and i don't think anyone has good reason to think otherwise. lebron is a mystery for sure. as unfair as that precedence may be, fining a team without being certain those players aren't actually hurt is something the league can't possibly do. that would be an INCREDIBLY slippery slope, and couldn't have actually ever been a possibility. lebron might be 100% healthy (in all likelihood he is indeed banged up to some degree at this point) but the league can't assume that he is.

so yeah, in the future i'm sure all pops has to do is say "tony and time are banged up, tony has a hamstring and tim a calf injury, and they will not be playing tonight" and the league can't and shouldn't do anything about it.

I added a little more to this probably after you already started replying. But I'm sure Wade is banged up. Fining a team that decides to rest players seems like something the league couldn't possibly do but they did it :laugh2: Most actually thought that was a slippery slope because you have teams who will do it towards the end of the season, you have teams deliberately tanking, which is not good for the fans, and yet there is nothing done about it.

VendettaRed07
04-02-2013, 11:05 PM
Nah. Its towards the end of the season. And they still played Bosh, Allen etc. They still fielded a team that at least had a shot at winning. You should be allowed to rest one or two guys any given night for whatever reason if you want to. The spurs completely threw a middle of the season game and rested 5 starters from what I remember

jericho
04-02-2013, 11:15 PM
The thing is that the league already fined the spurs for resting their players. So what the league should have done is investigate if the injuries are legit which they didn't

DumDum
04-02-2013, 11:45 PM
The poster should be fine for this thread :rolleyes:

ldawg
04-03-2013, 07:34 AM
The Heat and its players need to be investigated. Its common that teams rest players at season end but the nba felt it was not a good time for Spurs to do it. But that does not make it right. If you fine the Spurs well the right thing to do if fine the Heat.

He115ing
04-03-2013, 08:51 AM
Could they have played? Definitely. Were thery injured? Who knows, my personal opinion is, probably not. Can they be fined? No. Heat provided legitimate excuses for LBJ, Wade, and Chalmers (but no one cares about him).

I don't like this trend that was started by Spurs of sitting out players to rest. It shows how soft the league is getting. This would never have happened in the 90s.

OceanSpray
04-03-2013, 08:03 PM
I added a little more to this probably after you already started replying. But I'm sure Wade is banged up. Fining a team that decides to rest players seems like something the league couldn't possibly do but they did it :laugh2: Most actually thought that was a slippery slope because you have teams who will do it towards the end of the season, you have teams deliberately tanking, which is not good for the fans, and yet there is nothing done about it.

Stop being biased. They are two completely different scenarios. SAS sat their players out for no particular reason in a highly televised matchup that was agreed by TNT for high ratings and viewers. There was no notice and it was during the beginning of the season. Absolutely no reason for them not to play. Meanwhile, Miami rested Wade/LeBron as injured. Whether or not they were doesn't affect anything because they did list them as injured while the SAS did not. It could be argued that this isn't fair because any coach could just list his player as injured but since there is no violation thus far, it's not their fault. Also, the league understands it's near playoff time and it's much more reasonable for coaches to sit their star players this time around. 2 months in and the SAS are already sitting them down? Completely different..

ldawg
04-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Stop being biased. They are two completely different scenarios. SAS sat their players out for no particular reason in a highly televised matchup that was agreed by TNT for high ratings and viewers. There was no notice and it was during the beginning of the season. Absolutely no reason for them not to play. Meanwhile, Miami rested Wade/LeBron as injured. Whether or not they were doesn't affect anything because they did list them as injured while the SAS did not. It could be argued that this isn't fair because any coach could just list his player as injured but since there is no violation thus far, it's not their fault. Also, the league understands it's near playoff time and it's much more reasonable for coaches to sit their star players this time around. 2 months in and the SAS are already sitting them down? Completely different..Have you or someone you know never stayed home from work for rest or being tired? Spurs held out their older players who had a rough patch in their schedule. Look We all know Lebron/Wade/Charmers could have played the point is they held them out to rest up for the playoffs. Were they smart about it for claiming they are injured? yes, Is it right? No What Miami did is the same. In that case if they were not going to be consistent with it then then Spurs should have been warned not fine the large sum of money. Its ok now just because its Miami.

kdspurman
04-03-2013, 09:21 PM
Stop being biased. They are two completely different scenarios. SAS sat their players out for no particular reason in a highly televised matchup that was agreed by TNT for high ratings and viewers. There was no notice and it was during the beginning of the season. Absolutely no reason for them not to play. Meanwhile, Miami rested Wade/LeBron as injured. Whether or not they were doesn't affect anything because they did list them as injured while the SAS did not. It could be argued that this isn't fair because any coach could just list his player as injured but since there is no violation thus far, it's not their fault. Also, the league understands it's near playoff time and it's much more reasonable for coaches to sit their star players this time around. 2 months in and the SAS are already sitting them down? Completely different..

False...

And Sunday's game was on NBATV also, highly anticipated. When the Spurs did it, they were playing their 4th game in 5 nights, all of a sudden you or the league thinks you know whats best for the Spurs players better than Pop? :confused: Was there hidden intentions? Sure... But Pop was protecting his guys. Think about it if you were a head coach. Your team is playing their 4th game in 5 nights, while the other team had been off for 3-4 days and only played 3 games in a 2 week span. Would you want to risk your guys going out there tired, possibly a step behind to get embarrassed on national TV? The folks who make the schedule need to be more aware of things like that... Want to blame anyone, blame them...

Guys have been listed as "rest" or "DNP-CD" you don't have to list someone as "injured" for them to sit on the bench... Or rather, that wasn't the case before.

The league doesn't understand anything, they're upset that their beloved ratings possibly were affected. Teams tank all the time and Pop has sat guys before, for nationally televised games early and mid-way thru the season. It was an issues cause it was the Heat, and it would've been an issue if it was someone like the Lakers or even the Knicks too. Don't try and tell me what they did wasn't justifiable cause that's just a load of crap. Can't tell a head coach how to coach his team. Now you'll see "random" and "fake" injuries when someone is going to not play, which I suppose you think is better for the league...

ThaDubs
04-04-2013, 01:21 AM

What if you were a little kid who's dream was to see the Spurs (Timmy, Ginobili, Parker) and your parents paid hundreds of dollars for tickets and then you found out that the coach was letting them take a break for no reason?

ThaDubs
04-04-2013, 01:30 AM
False...

And Sunday's game was on NBATV also, highly anticipated. When the Spurs did it, they were playing their 4th game in 5 nights, all of a sudden you or the league thinks you know whats best for the Spurs players better than Pop? :confused: Was there hidden intentions? Sure... But Pop was protecting his guys. Think about it if you were a head coach. Your team is playing their 4th game in 5 nights, while the other team had been off for 3-4 days and only played 3 games in a 2 week span. Would you want to risk your guys going out there tired, possibly a step behind to get embarrassed on national TV? The folks who make the schedule need to be more aware of things like that... Want to blame anyone, blame them...

Guys have been listed as "rest" or "DNP-CD" you don't have to list someone as "injured" for them to sit on the bench... Or rather, that wasn't the case before.

The league doesn't understand anything, they're upset that their beloved ratings possibly were affected. Teams tank all the time and Pop has sat guys before, for nationally televised games early and mid-way thru the season. It was an issues cause it was the Heat, and it would've been an issue if it was someone like the Lakers or even the Knicks too. Don't try and tell me what they did wasn't justifiable cause that's just a load of crap. Can't tell a head coach how to coach his team. Now you'll see "random" and "fake" injuries when someone is going to not play, which I suppose you think is better for the league...

Spurs tickets are normally $100 a piece (at least where my season tickets are). Why? Because of SAS's big three. Without them the ticket price would most likely be cut in half. I can guarantee the fans were almost all disappointed and Pop was being silly for sitting them out.

kdspurman
04-04-2013, 09:14 AM
What if you were a little kid who's dream was to see the Spurs (Timmy, Ginobili, Parker) and your parents paid hundreds of dollars for tickets and then you found out that the coach was letting them take a break for no reason?

Spurs tickets are normally $100 a piece (at least where my season tickets are). Why? Because of SAS's big three. Without them the ticket price would most likely be cut in half. I can guarantee the fans were almost all disappointed and Pop was being silly for sitting them out.

And i understand it from that perspective, but what about towards the end of the season when guys are "resting" do you consider that no reason? And won't those same kids be disappointed in April as they would be in November or December? It's not like ticket prices drop in April

ATX
04-04-2013, 09:36 AM
As long as the team that is planning on sitting players (For whatever reason) gives a heads up to the league in a somewhat timely manner I don't think a team should be fined. I think that the Spurs had a legit reason to rest their players, but not giving any advance notice or reason as to why is what got them in trouble. That was a steep fine, and if anything the league should probably refund a part of the ticket sales back to the purchasers for said game. It's a tricky situation and I can see it from both sides.

ATX
04-04-2013, 09:42 AM
I came very very close to buying a pair of tickets for the Heat Spurs game on Easter, and I'm very glad I didn't because I'd of been more than pissed that I dropped over $300 and not seen LeBron and Wade play. Turned out to be a great game, but still...

kdspurman
04-04-2013, 09:57 AM
In case some of you haven't read this, you should. It was released back when the Spurs incident went down. Hard to believe Stern doesn't have at least a "little" beef with the Spurs organization. It's a very good read.

Just to put a few quotes from it-

"Listen," Popovich told me, "it's a player's league. I think it's very important for a coach to make sure that his players believe 100 percent – and not with lip service – that it's about them. Coaches are going to do everything they can to create that environment for them. It's not about creating an environment for us. It's a privilege to be able to coach these guys. We make enough money."

Stern doesn't care about the realities of his league, just the appearances. To him, the appearance on Thursday night was that Popovich had tried to embarrass him on national television and that's why the commissioner tossed that tantrum. Apologize to the fans? In a league where the mere appearance of players on the floor doesn't guarantee preparation and effort, the Spurs never cheat the public. They're honest, in a way so few are honest. When too many others wear the uniform and yet still take the night off, the Spurs come to play – or they don't come at all.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--david-stern-stumbles-again-in-his-failed-culture-war-against-the-spurs-194828970.html

ChitownBears22
04-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Nope and here is why. The NBA made a **** ton of money off of the 27 game streak. It created buzz for a 2 months during the time of the year viewership lags.

R. Johnson#3
04-04-2013, 11:39 AM
Stern's hands are tied. Time to hand out another pointless $500 000 fine and if you don't then prepare to be lynched.

PhillyFaninLA
04-04-2013, 02:38 PM
The Miami Heat announced that forward LeBron James, guard Dwyane Wade and guard Mario Chalmers will sit out Sunday night's game against the San Antonio Spurs.

Yes, I think they should be fine.

what do you guys think?

I hope you are trolling with this topic if not then.....

OceanSpray
04-04-2013, 04:07 PM
False...

False? NBATV is operated under NBA while TNT isn't. NBA has a contract with TNT and that's why they were frustrated at the fact that the SAS stars didn't show up without any legitimate reason. Whether or not they were resting or were in need of it is irrelevant because they didn't put them down as injured. Miami is and that's why they aren't getting fined. NBATV does not compete against TNT considering TNT has much more viewers and their time slot is scarce. Maybe you should understand the difference because it seems like you're getting frustrated at the fact that Miami put their players as INJURED instead of DNP. Also because the playoffs are close and there is a reason for Miami to actually sit their players down. The NBA loves ratings because it is entertainment. At the end of the day, their goal isn't to crown a champion; it's to make money and grab more viewers.

kdspurman
04-04-2013, 04:51 PM
False? NBATV is operated under NBA while TNT isn't. NBA has a contract with TNT and that's why they were frustrated at the fact that the SAS stars didn't show up without any legitimate reason. Whether or not they were resting or were in need of it is irrelevant because they didn't put them down as injured. Miami is and that's why they aren't getting fined. NBATV does not compete against TNT considering TNT has much more viewers and their time slot is scarce. Maybe you should understand the difference because it seems like you're getting frustrated at the fact that Miami put their players as INJURED instead of DNP. Also because the playoffs are close and there is a reason for Miami to actually sit their players down. The NBA loves ratings because it is entertainment. At the end of the day, their goal isn't to crown a champion; it's to make money and grab more viewers.

My point is, you shouldn't have to lie about your players as a head coach to keep from getting in trouble. A head coach should not have to sit there and say, OK who are we playing? Is it on TNT? Do I need to put my guys down as Rest or make up some injury? Doesn't make sense, think about it from a HC point of view.

I understand what their goal is, but the fact remains they had no rule in place about it, and to feel so personally offended by it that Stern felt he needed to fine the Spurs was a joke.

I think it's fairly obvious Stern did what he did cause he has a beef with the Spurs. I posted an article a few posts back backing that up.