PDA

View Full Version : It is March 31st. Do you know where your NY Rangers are?

SLY WILLIAMS
03-31-2013, 12:31 PM
Okay folks this is a thread about where we go from here. This is not a thread about trading players. If we stick with the players we have where do we go from here? Do we fire the coach? Do we change strategy? We have 14 games to go and we still control our own playoff destiny. I can not say what the solution is but I will suggest some things.

1. My dad pointed out last week. We often have 3 forwards behind the goal line trying to cycle. That is a recipe for disaster because there is nobody to pass out to and it makes it too easy for the other team to break out.

2. We play 3 vs 5 too often on offense when other teams are playing 5 on 5.

3. Make two set power play units and stick to them.

4. Boyle and Miller. Boyle has 2 points this season. Miller has 4 points this season. To have them playing on the power play and the 2nd line is not logical.

5. Ask Brian Leetch to come help with the power play. At best his wisdom will help the units. At worse he is a guy that many players on the team looked up to as kids.

6. Defense is important but every time Torts is asked about offense he starts talking about defense. It is almost a defense mechanism at this point and it symbolizes why we are the lowest scoring team in the NHL. Our team is not letting up a lot of goals. We can not win if we do not score.

7. The Norwegian coach says we play "Stone Age Hockey". The other teams announcers say the Rangers just hang around on defense and try to grind it out on offense. I saw more guys carrying the puck last game. Lets continue to try to retain the puck when possible. If it is not possible then dump the puck but retaining the puck should be the first option.

8. Block shots: This team excelled at blocking shots in the past but now they do not. Guys flop all over the place often leaving themselves out of position. Larry Robinson used to say never leave your feet to block a shot. Here is the problem. I think guys have been physically hurt blocking shots so now they often hesitate before attempting them. That is the worst thing possible. They need to decide to slide or not slide to block the shot but once they hesitate they are cooked.

9. This is the biggie. These last 14 games start the playoffs for us. Its time to play playoff hockey. No more nonsense with scrubs. Play our top 9 players at fwd and our top 5 on defense. The scrubs should be cheering and supporting the team but barely playing if playing at all in these final 14 games. Let the better players get in a regular rotation on the ice.

Our top 8 forwards are Nash, Hags, Stepan, Gaborik, Richards, Zooks, Cally, Kreider. I do not even know who I would pick as the 9th. I might dress Powe for penalty killing.

On defense we are short handed now. I really wish we had Staal. Obviously McD, Girardi, and MDZ are our top 3. Pick 2 more. I might bring one up from the minors or make a trade.

NYY09
03-31-2013, 01:00 PM
Great post Sly. IMHO, what the team really needs is a guy who can put it all together cuz the talent is surely there. Yes, they could use another piece or two but I have a hard time believing that 1. Richards is this toast 2. Gabby is this toast and 3. that the "system" they use, while it might work some nights, is in fact suited to the roster and the direction the team is headed.

Yeah, we're all frustrated cuz there's much more there than what they are showing but I have to, simply have to, believe that lack of cohesion, effort, heartless play, and just being lost overall is the coaches fault, he has to be able to adjust.

Putting Gaborik on the 4th line? signs of a desperate coach throwing **** against the wall.

SLY WILLIAMS
03-31-2013, 01:09 PM
Great post Sly. IMHO, what the team really needs is a guy who can put it all together cuz the talent is surely there. Yes, they could use another piece or two but I have a hard time believing that 1. Richards is this toast 2. Gabby is this toast and 3. that the "system" they use, while it might work some nights, is in fact suited to the roster and the direction the team is headed.

Yeah, we're all frustrated cuz there's much more there than what they are showing but I have to, simply have to, believe that lack of cohesion, effort, heartless play, and just being lost overall isn't the coaches fault, he has to be able to adjust.

Putting Gaborik on the 4th line? signs of a desperate coach throwing **** against the wall.

Putting Boyle/Miller on the 2nd line with Gabs on the 4th line is really symbolic of our season.

I have seen Cally quit on plays against OTT. I have seen Nash quit on plays against MTL. The players do not believe in what they are doing. I can not say for sure how to fix it but somebody has to and fast.

NYY09
03-31-2013, 01:15 PM
Putting Boyle/Miller on the 2nd line with Gabs on the 4th line is really symbolic of our season.

I have seen Cally quit on plays against OTT. I have seen Nash quit on plays against MTL. The players do not believe in what they are doing. I can not say for sure how to fix it but somebody has to and fast.

Yeah, I goofed, I meant it IS the coaches fault, it's been edited.

And yeah, moves like that reek of desperation

nyr2002nyr
03-31-2013, 07:13 PM
And for craps sake if you are going to put someone on the 4th line to make a point or an example do it for more then 1 shift. What a joke

NYY09
04-01-2013, 12:18 PM
And for craps sake if you are going to put someone on the 4th line to make a point or an example do it for more then 1 shift. What a joke

Yeah, I couldn't believe that either, pure comedy.