PDA

View Full Version : Fire Torts

IAmARanger18
03-30-2013, 11:31 PM
We all have different opinions, but IMO it's time for this guy to go, I am not gonna stand to see Gaborik a top scoring RW in this league be buried on the 4th line and not get top minutes because he doesn't fit Torts ****** system, We will go nowhere with Torts on the bench, he's got to go.

NYY09
03-31-2013, 05:55 AM
It sure is getting harder and harder to not feel this way. The NHLs lowest scoring team? Really? :pity:

NYSPORTS98
03-31-2013, 08:49 AM
So if the Rangers got an "offensive minded coach" who exactly would QB the powerplay and which defenseman would blast a shot or pass better from the point? Will Brad Richards suddenly pass better? Would these young kids skate through traffic and suddenly drive to the net? Seriously?

bsi
03-31-2013, 09:40 AM
I always felt that Tortorella wasn't the cause of all this but I think we've hit rock bottom and for the sake of change I'd care less if he left now. We really can't get any worse, however changing a coach with this few games left and clinging to a playoff spot is probably gonna put us closer to 10th than 7th. In the interest of this playoffs we're really better sticking it out but I doubt that's going to happen.

SLY WILLIAMS
03-31-2013, 09:45 AM
Sean Avery who I have almost no respect for said to fire this clown
He says the players hate him and wont put up with his BS. Stepson disagreed. While I don't think Torts is to blame for everything I did see this coming on eventually.

IAmARanger18
03-31-2013, 11:26 AM
Of course Stepan would disagree, would you expect him to come out and say they hate him? No way anybody would do that, but I do think a guy like Gaborik is fed up with Torts.

freddy686
03-31-2013, 12:21 PM
your delusional if you don't think its torts... he doesn't know what the **** to do with all his offense .. hes not an offensive coach.. and I see Richards in every ****ing situation and he sucks.... if Richards had a great season when he came to the rangers id give him the benefit of the doubt but hes been a waste since day one.. ship him out for a bag of pucks ... fire torts and his tom renney mentality of line changing every ****ing shift ..send some let the kids play like every other ****ing team does in the nhl.. and get a coach who knows when to pinch on defense and knows how to use scorers..Its organized hockey

fingerbang
03-31-2013, 12:33 PM
Fire Torts and bring in a guy that can jump on the ice and really snipe some corners.

SLY WILLIAMS
03-31-2013, 12:39 PM
I saw Torts as a problem early on as did a couple of other posters. I kept quiet about him often because I did not want to be a Debbie Downer. It is not because I think he is a bad coach. It is because coaches like him can only yell and preach the same things for so long before guys start to build up some resentments and tune them out. Our problem now is we may have waited too long to bring somebody new in. Torts may feel a bit helpless at this point. Somebody needs to get through to the players that it is their season as well. Whether they like or hate Torts they need to put it together despite Torts. On the other hand this Boyle/Miller 2nd line and power play stuff to go along with Gabs on the 4th line is just lame. Torts needs to figure out another way to motivate. I'd really like the team to ask Brian Leetch to be a part of the team as an assistant coach for these last 14 games. I think his presence alone could motivate some guys. I think his wisdom could help the PP.

metswon69
03-31-2013, 12:46 PM
Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN 2m

#NYR Callahan cont'd. "He (Avery) did not speak for us as a team when he was here and certainly does not now."

What you would expect to hear publicly out of the Captain even if the locker room may feel otherwise.

SLY WILLIAMS
03-31-2013, 12:51 PM
Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN 2m

What you would expect to hear publicly out of the Captain even if the locker room may feel otherwise.

Avery can be an idiot at times. I suspect that more guys in that locker room dislike Avery than Torts. With that said I do feel like Torts has lost this team. Can he regain it? I'm not sure.

metswon69
03-31-2013, 01:02 PM
Avery can be an idiot at times. I suspect that more guys in that locker room dislike Avery than Torts. With that said I do feel like Torts has lost this team. Can he regain it? I'm not sure.

I do like how Avery tweets that he is "winning" from his coach somewhere.

I guess he doesn't see the irony in him calling other people out.

That being said, i think once a coach loses his team it's over. If they are tuning Torts out or not responding to the messages he is sending on the ice, i just don't know how he can get this team back.

What amazes me is how quickly it has happened.

SLY WILLIAMS
03-31-2013, 01:16 PM

That being said, i think once a coach loses his team it's over. If they are tuning Torts out or not responding to the messages he is sending on the ice, i just don't know how he can get this team back.

Avery not having a team in North America or overseas interested in signing him is far from him "winning" unless he feels he wins like Charlie Sheen by getting fired.

It may seem quick but my guess is some resentments built up for the last 3 years. When we are winning guys could put resentments to the side but once we are not winning they get bigger and bigger. We have to remember these are grown men with egos. They do not like being treated badly. Torts is probably a good guy but at times he can be pretty rude.

The bottom line is we have 14 games with or without Torts. We can still do this but we have to find something the players believe in and have confidence doing.

NYY09
03-31-2013, 01:25 PM

Stuff like that is cancer, spreads at a lightning quick pace.

Makes sense though cuz they shipped out 2 guys in Dubi and Artie would started with the org. and they didnt really have the firepower so they played a certain way, defense first.

Then, they added Richards and Nash along with the emergence of Hagelin, MDZ, and Stepan and all of a sudden they don't really need to be that defense first team. I mean I see McD carry the puck sometimes and then question why he doesn't do it more often. Not to mention the fact that the blue-line, with Staal, is one of the best in hockey, and I'm sure I dont need to mention who's between the pipes, so yeah, why are they playing such defensive hockey?

SLY WILLIAMS
03-31-2013, 01:33 PM
I do not know if it is good to fire a coach so late in the season. I remember being shocked when the Devils fired Ftorek in like the last week of the season with a really good record but they won the cup so how much could anyone complain? I think they fired Julian pretty late in a season as well.

nystandup
03-31-2013, 02:08 PM
I say we keep Torts no matter what happens this year.

Give him his full training camp next season to pound his system into the players and get their conditioning up, especially the new guys.

If things don't change, then it's time to say goodbye IMO.

metswon69
03-31-2013, 02:23 PM
Avery not having a team in North America or overseas interested in signing him is far from him "winning" unless he feels he wins like Charlie Sheen by getting fired.

It may seem quick but my guess is some resentments built up for the last 3 years. When we are winning guys could put resentments to the side but once we are not winning they get bigger and bigger. We have to remember these are grown men with egos. They do not like being treated badly. Torts is probably a good guy but at times he can be pretty rude.

The bottom line is we have 14 games with or without Torts. We can still do this but we have to find something the players believe in and have confidence doing.

Yeah Avery is an idiot without question.

That being said, players responded to Torts last year. This year, they haven't. If he called them out on effort or benched someone to send a message, whoever that was would pick up the pace.

I can't argue that they are probably immune to Tort's motivational techniques and rhetoric at this point but i still think this team lost a lot of its identity last year in guys like Prust, Feds, Dubi, and even Anisimov.

I wouldn't fire him in season but if this team finishes like poorly he needs to go at the end of the season.

To me, they need to make the playoffs and make some noise for him to keep his job.

SLY WILLIAMS
03-31-2013, 02:59 PM
Our goal scoring woes goes back to last seasons playoffs. In fact they were worse in last years playoffs. We barely advanced in the first two rounds (winning game 7's) and lost in the third. I think we had a goalie (1.82 GAA) and defense playing very well but we only scored around 2 goals a game in last years playoffs.

This season so far we have scored 74 goals in 34 games. (2.29 per game)
Last playoff season we scored 43 goals in 20 playoff games. (2.15 per game)

That includes any empty net goals.

metswon69
03-31-2013, 03:16 PM
Our goal scoring woes goes back to last seasons playoffs. In fact they were worse in last years playoffs. We barely advanced in the first two rounds (winning game 7's) and lost in the third. I think we had a goalie (1.82 GAA) and defense playing very well but we only scored around 2 goals a game in last years playoffs.

This season so far we have scored 74 goals in 34 games. (2.29 per game)
Last playoff season we scored 43 goals in 20 playoff games. (2.15 per game)

That includes any empty net goals.

True but the personnel they had were successful in the playoffs in spite those terrible GF numbers last year, this team will not do that.

The Rangers also scored half a goal a game more during the regular season last year then they have this year (2.71 to 2.21)

But yeah, it's been symptomatic of this team since last year's playoffs to not score like you were saying.

SLY WILLIAMS
03-31-2013, 03:32 PM
True but the personnel they had were successful in the playoffs in spite those terrible GF numbers last year, this team will not do that.

The Rangers also scored half a goal a game more during the regular season last year then they have this year (2.71 to 2.21)

But yeah, it's been symptomatic of this team since last year's playoffs to not score like you were saying.

I understand your point. Lundy and our defense can play better (they did last season).

With that said when you look at the numbers (5th in goals against, 30th in goals for) it becomes more obvious the lack of offense is the problem.

metswon69
03-31-2013, 03:37 PM
I understand your point. Lundy and our defense can play better (they did last season).

With that said when you look at the numbers (5th in goals against, 30th in goals for) it becomes more obvious the lack of offense is the problem.

See that's where we are missing each other, i expected some regression defensively this year.

We are on the same page from the offensive standpoint, that's what dumbfounds me. How do we lose half a goal a game from last year?

Unless like you said there needs to be addressing of the system or the coach implementing the system. I like your idea of bringing in a different voice like a Brian Leetch to help with some of the stagnation offensively though.

Even though that's probably too late for this season.

nyr2002nyr
03-31-2013, 04:52 PM
The problem is once you see guy who don't believe in the system anymore you have to worry if he has lost the locker room totally.

oak2455
03-31-2013, 04:53 PM
I was against this but now I think next year they need a new coach , his style of play is getting old

bsi
03-31-2013, 08:33 PM
Firstly I agree that things aren't looking good for Torts but my only problem with letting Tortorella go is that I'm worried that maybe he took a mediocre team last year and made it great. Could it be that our biggest problem is that Tortorella took a bunch of mediocre defensemen and made them look like good Dmen inspite of their puck moving ability? Was his attention to shot blocking a way of making up for a defense that maybe isn't playoff worthy. Just posing questions but if you look at our D, Girardi was undrafted, Montreal traded McDonagh for Gomez, DelZotto was a defensive liability originally and we have two guys in Eminger(let go by Tampa) and Stralman (couldn't get a job in the NHL and left it), I mean really outside of Staal none of these guys were really supposed to be a top pair Dman. Even our forwards, did anyone think Callahan was gonna get close to 30 goals with his style? Gaborik scored 40 with Torts twice, even Brian Boyle scored 21 with this coach. Brandon Prust left here and praised Tortorella saying he owed a big part of his success to his coaching. So having said all that, I'm worried that maybe we're a mediocre team that was coached a game away from a Stanley Cup final. Outside of Nash and Gaborik there's nobody here that I expect to surpass 30 goals most years. I agree with everyone that we've past the point of no return and that Tortorella may have to go but I'm looking at this like what happened in Buffalo with Ruff, they never got better when he got canned, it just turns out that maybe they were just a mediocre team and coaching wasn't the issue. That's my fear here too. But as they say, there's only one way we're gonna find out.

Also, I think Sean Avery may have just saved Tort's job for this year, there's no way Sather wants everyone thinking he canned Torts because Avery told him to. I also think it might motivate the players to rally behind Tortorella. See what happens.

nyr2002nyr
03-31-2013, 08:58 PM
Firstly I agree that things aren't looking good for Torts but my only problem with letting Tortorella go is that I'm worried that maybe he took a mediocre team last year and made it great. Could it be that our biggest problem is that Tortorella took a bunch of mediocre defensemen and made them look like good Dmen inspite of their puck moving ability? Was his attention to shot blocking a way of making up for a defense that maybe isn't playoff worthy. Just posing questions but if you look at our D, Girardi was undrafted, Montreal traded McDonagh for Gomez, DelZotto was a defensive liability originally and we have two guys in Eminger(let go by Tampa) and Stralman (couldn't get a job in the NHL and left it), I mean really outside of Staal none of these guys were really supposed to be a top pair Dman. Even our forwards, did anyone think Callahan was gonna get close to 30 goals with his style? Gaborik scored 40 with Torts twice, even Brian Boyle scored 21 with this coach. Brandon Prust left here and praised Tortorella saying he owed a big part of his success to his coaching. So having said all that, I'm worried that maybe we're a mediocre team that was coached a game away from a Stanley Cup final. Outside of Nash and Gaborik there's nobody here that I expect to surpass 30 goals most years. I agree with everyone that we've past the point of no return and that Tortorella may have to go but I'm looking at this like what happened in Buffalo with Ruff, they never got better when he got canned, it just turns out that maybe they were just a mediocre team and coaching wasn't the issue. That's my fear here too. But as they say, there's only one way we're gonna find out.

Also, I think Sean Avery may have just saved Tort's job for this year, there's no way Sather wants everyone thinking he canned Torts because Avery told him to. I also think it might motivate the players to rally behind Tortorella. See what happens.

Something has to give. If we don't make the playoffs. Torts or Sather must go IMO

bsi
03-31-2013, 09:03 PM
Something has to give. If we don't make the playoffs. Torts or Sather must go IMO

Totally agree with you. Unless things turn around real quick Tortorella is gone. I think Sather may hand things over anyway after this year.

freddy686
03-31-2013, 09:16 PM
nash ,Richards, cally ,gabs, stall,lundquist and a riseing Stephan... I think you got some good points ..maybe we don't have anything more past those guys except below average players ... but hey the devils and la had the same amount of stars and made it to the Stanley cup... I say its coaching .. sorry I been around hockey for over 25 years and scene this before .. the players are frustrated they cant play their style and its either his way or u get benched and yelled at.. come on would you want to come to work to an ******* boss everyday and want to work hard for him .... If I was a diva hockey player I would only listen to a guy who has credentials whos played the game and or won multi Stanley cups or was a player friendly guy..hockey is suppose to be a team sport and fun .. with line juggling and yelling their goes your chemistry and fun .. aka torts

bsi
03-31-2013, 09:39 PM
nash ,Richards, cally ,gabs, stall,lundquist and a riseing Stephan... I think you got some good points ..maybe we don't have anything more past those guys except below average players ... but hey the devils and la had the same amount of stars and made it to the Stanley cup... I say its coaching .. sorry I been around hockey for over 25 years and scene this before .. the players are frustrated they cant play their style and its either his way or u get benched and yelled at.. come on would you want to come to work to an ******* boss everyday and want to work hard for him .... If I was a diva hockey player I would only listen to a guy who has credentials whos played the game and or won multi Stanley cups or was a player friendly guy..hockey is suppose to be a team sport and fun .. with line juggling and yelling their goes your chemistry and fun .. aka torts

L.A had a stacked team last year, and to be fair we were only a game away from meeting them in the finals last year, the only difference between us and the Devils was that our top 4 d-men got burnt out due to lack of depth. I agree that Torts yelling isn't helping much but it goes both ways. He's yelling because they aren't doing what he's asking them to, if they were then he wouldn't be yelling, it's the chicken and the egg all over. Having said that the Gaborik and Richards haven't been good, Kreider didn't do what we hoped he would neither in the AHL before the season started or with the Rangers, Staal got hurt and the players we got to replace 4 of Dubinsky, Prust, Anisimov, Mitchell and Fedotenko can't do the job. Nash has held up his part of the bargain but really this team hasn't pulled together for a common purpose. Torts will be the first one to take the axe whether he deserves it or not.

nyr2002nyr
03-31-2013, 09:58 PM
Totally agree with you. Unless things turn around real quick Tortorella is gone. I think Sather may hand things over anyway after this year.

I just wanted to bring up slats since torts was taking all the blame. Slats has made a good many really bad signings the last few years and needs to be accountable. BSI if he does step way who takes slats spot?

SLY WILLIAMS
03-31-2013, 10:13 PM
BSI everytime you say we were only a game away from the finals I think somebody could just as easily say we were only a goal away from a first round exit. :)

bsi
03-31-2013, 10:16 PM
I just wanted to bring up slats since torts was taking all the blame. Slats has made a good many really bad signings the last few years and needs to be accountable. BSI if he does step way who takes slats spot?

I think the plan was to have Jeff Gorton or Messier to take over when he was done, but things change as others become available. With Sather getting surgery for prostate cancer I could see him leaving this year.

bsi
03-31-2013, 10:19 PM
BSI everytime you say we were only a game away from the finals I think somebody could just as easily say we were only a goal away from a first round exit. :)

True enough. But I think the point was made that New Jersey and LA were coached better because they were in the finals. But I'd definately not say that type of statement was accurate as I think there's plenty of coaches that are better than the last 4 coaches left in the finals, like for example the guy that nearly made our first round exit happen Paul MacLean(this years hands down Jack Adams winner). haha.

NYSPORTS98
04-02-2013, 10:40 AM
With Sather getting surgery for prostate cancer I could see him leaving this year.

Treating prostate cancer has come a long way so don't buy into the cancer sending him into retirement.

messleetch94
04-03-2013, 06:53 AM
Whatever Torts is saying, now is falling on deaf ears

nyr2002nyr
04-03-2013, 07:25 AM
Treating prostate cancer has come a long way so don't buy into the cancer sending him into retirement.

This team doesnt make the playoffs both need to go