PDA

View Full Version : Are the Grizzlies the NBA's sleeper team?

BSF101
03-30-2013, 10:25 PM
Simple question do you think/believe the Grizzlies are the NBA's sleeper team this year? They do have a good team not as good as the Heat, or Spurs. What do you think?

D-Leethal
03-30-2013, 10:26 PM
Their style of play and frontline causes matchup problems for every team in this league but I'm not sure they have the firepower to go all the way.

BSF101
03-30-2013, 10:35 PM
Their style of play and frontline causes matchup problems for every team in this league but I'm not sure they have the firepower to go all the way.

I agree but I wouldn't count them out in the first round either. I can see them making the Western Conference finals? I did have the Clippers and Spurs in it earlier though. I still like the Spurs in the West and the Heat in the east in the Finals. I like the Spurs winning in 7 lol.

Blitzbolt
03-30-2013, 10:41 PM
No way they dont' have Mayo they will miss him come playoff time.
No way they don't have Gay they will miss him come playoff time.

I know all the issues we have but other teams also have issues so why not.But I'm still expecting a first round exit but I'm a very negative dude.

BSF101
03-30-2013, 10:44 PM
No way they dont' have Mayo they will miss him come playoff time.
No way they don't have Gay they will miss him come playoff time.

I know all the issues we have but other teams also have issues so why not.But I'm still expecting a first round exit but I'm a very negative dude.

Gotta have faith. I'm a Celtics fan and believe me, there are days when they play like crap and others when they play like Champs. I don't think the Celtics will get to the finials but anything can happen in Professional sports.

Blitzbolt
03-30-2013, 10:48 PM
Gotta have faith. I'm a Celtics fan and believe me, there are days when they play like crap and others when they play like Champs. I don't think the Celtics will get to the finials but anything can happen in Professional sports.
I agree every team has some kind of issue but a few lucky breaks here and there and the Grizz could easily make the WCFs but you could say the same about Denver and the Clipss.

mzgrizz
03-30-2013, 10:49 PM
Well, they've been "sleeping" for the past 2-3 years , but I think it would be a tremendous effort to go the the Finals and I'm not sure they've got the fire in the belly enough

D-Leethal
03-30-2013, 11:14 PM
I agree but I wouldn't count them out in the first round either. I can see them making the Western Conference finals? I did have the Clippers and Spurs in it earlier though. I still like the Spurs in the West and the Heat in the east in the Finals. I like the Spurs winning in 7 lol.

I'd venture to say the Spurs want no part of the Grizz in the 2nd round if Grizz can get past that first matchup against DEN or Clips. Spurs are probably praying they get 1 of those 2 and not Memphis.

kdspurman
03-30-2013, 11:16 PM
I'd venture to say the Spurs want no part of the Grizz in the 2nd round if Grizz can get past that first matchup against DEN or Clips. Spurs are probably praying they get 1 of those 2 and not Memphis.

Honestly, not as much this year. Different team/mentality than a few years ago. I think they'd pull it out, though it'd be a much more physical series which could hurt them. (physically, lol) But they've got the firepower, and defensive mind-set this year, and the shooters/firepower.

D-Leethal
03-30-2013, 11:21 PM
Honestly, not as much this year. Different team/mentality than a few years ago. I think they'd pull it out, though it'd be a much more physical series which could hurt them. (physically, lol) But they've got the firepower, and defensive mind-set this year, and the shooters/firepower.

I would favor the Spurs to win the series, but I think the physicality of the Grizz would cause some problems for the finesse style of the Spurs similar to the way the Heat struggle against power teams. I think they sweep or win in 5 vs Nuggets/Clips. Grizz would take 6-7 grind-it-out-wars.

MrfadeawayJB
03-30-2013, 11:21 PM
This team has a better chance than previous teams IMO. The half court game in the playoffs will perfectly suit are inside outside approach and our improved ball movement. Of course we dont have rudy anymore which could cause problems on late game situations , but time will tell. But a few things need to happen for the grizz to make this run:

1) stay healthy

2) hit 3's from time to time

3) bench production

MrfadeawayJB
03-30-2013, 11:23 PM
Also any team that meets Memphis will be at a huge disadvantage if they advance to the second round. The injuries and health after playing a team like the grizz will surely hurt them

BSF101
03-30-2013, 11:24 PM
I agree every team has some kind of issue but a few lucky breaks here and there and the Grizz could easily make the WCFs but you could say the same about Denver and the Clipss.

I agree 100%, Look at the Celtics for some unknown reason they had a hard time with the Bobcats the worst team in the NBA but you put them in a matchup against Miami its like their playing for the title? Like I said before I did have the Clippers and Spurs in the West but lets be honest its the Clippers an up and down team. So a Grizzlies vs Spurs match up in the west is not far fetched. As for Denver I'm not all that sold on them yet maybe in the next year or two?

BSF101
03-30-2013, 11:26 PM
This team has a better chance than previous teams IMO. The half court game in the playoffs will perfectly suit are inside outside approach and our improved ball movement. Of course we dont have rudy anymore which could cause problems on late game situations , but time will tell. But a few things need to happen for the grizz to make this run:

1) stay healthy

3) bench production

If the team ever gets sick of Tony Allen I'm sure the Celtics wouldn't mind him back :)

LAKobeBryant
03-30-2013, 11:27 PM
No Nuggets are.

MrfadeawayJB
03-30-2013, 11:44 PM

1) stay healthy

3) bench production

If the team ever gets sick of Tony Allen I'm sure the Celtics wouldn't mind him back :)

NO lol

Chronz
03-30-2013, 11:46 PM
Their offense looks ALOT better without Gay so Im convinced they are legit

mzgrizz
03-30-2013, 11:48 PM
As to missing Rudy for a last minute shot/ game changer.... We generally have won by more than a possession so he basically wasn't needed. We are a better team without him.

MrfadeawayJB
03-31-2013, 09:15 AM
I agree mzgrizz. If there is a last shot needed we just go with the hot hand. Zbo, Marc, Conley, and Bayless have all hit timely shots this season

2-ONE-5
03-31-2013, 10:32 AM
its well known that the Grizz are really good. they were a sleeper a few years back but not anymore.

Jarvo
03-31-2013, 12:20 PM
Them and the Nuggets

3RDASYSTEM
03-31-2013, 12:53 PM
Past couple yrs they have

I think they are more well rounded but lack that GAY type perimeter guy in crunch time

but they can play with any team in the league