PDA

View Full Version : Who gets the final 2 Western Playoff spots?

jimm120
03-30-2013, 09:48 PM
With 10-13 games left for everyone, who gets the final 2 spots?

Here they are at the moment:

Houston
38-33 .542 (7th seed and 2.5 game lead so far)

Utah
37-36 .507 (8th seed but tied)

LA Lakers
37-36 .507 (9th seed but tied for last place)

Dallas
36-37 .493 (10th seed but 1.0 games out)

4milesperday
03-30-2013, 09:55 PM
Based off the games each team have left at this point in the season, the 2 rational choice will be Lakers and Houston, however other factors can come into play.

jimm120
03-30-2013, 09:55 PM
Honestly, I'm surprised at Utah. Still can't believe they've gotten to this point. Houston has also been a surprise. Even when they got Harden at the last second, it was still thought that they might not make it possibly. But here they are.

I think it'd "be cool" to have these two surprise teams come out of nowhere and nab the last 2 playoff spots.

On the other hand, I also like Dallas. Can't believe with the age on that roster and the injuries (and talent) that they'd be here, so close. It'd make a good story to have them get into the playoffs after missing Dirk for so long, having lost a ton of pieces during the past 2 offseasons, and with Dirk's slow progress to get "back in it" after the injury.

As for the Lakers...everyone wants them to miss so there truly is chaos. But there's always the whole "I want a good team to make it", not a team like Utah. Lakers can seriously be a force in the offseason, so it'd be good to have them in and "surprise" teams. I think they'll make it. Don't want them to because DANTONI sucks basketballs.

jimm120
03-30-2013, 09:56 PM
Double Post :/

since its up...

Houston seems like a lock. They're winning again tonight and 2.5 game lead with 10 or so games left is too much.

Lakers seem to have snapped back to mediocrity, as all Dantoni do. 1 or 2 hot streaks/stretches and the rest is either .500 ball or below .500 ball.

Utah seems difficult. Not really good enough. Lakers should beat them out...but again, its the Lakers.

Dallas, if it can pull off a nice stretch of wins and have the Lakers' loss a few (as they are capable of doing) and Utah not doing well (as they are what they are) can get in. Still hard, considering what they've lost.

Source
03-30-2013, 09:58 PM
I'm surprised Utah has came back into contention. Once the Lakers finally got that 8th spot, I didn't see them turning back.

It looks like it's a toss-up, you just don't know what to expect when it comes to the Lakers..

CHANGO
03-30-2013, 10:00 PM
I made an error in the poll choosing the teams.

Whatever, I think the 2 teams will be Rockets and Mavericks.

I would love to see Lackers and Rockets do it tho.

D-Leethal
03-30-2013, 10:01 PM
Houston and Dallas.

jimm120
03-30-2013, 10:07 PM
I'm surprised Utah has came back into contention. Once the Lakers finally got that 8th spot, I didn't see them turning back.

It looks like it's a toss-up, you just don't know what to expect when it comes to the Lakers..

Maybe I'm biased against Dantoni but to me, that's his M.O. This guy makes his teams inconsistent. They'll play below .500 ball and .500 ball for long stretches and then the team will go and have a good stretch 2 times a year. In the end, the team stays as a .500 team.

So, when they started playing well and got back to .500 and the 8th spot, I knew they'd start losing again. And the past 3 games show that they've gotten back to their inconsistent ways.

D-Leethal
03-30-2013, 10:21 PM
Maybe I'm biased against Dantoni but to me, that's his M.O. This guy makes his teams inconsistent. They'll play below .500 ball and .500 ball for long stretches and then the team will go and have a good stretch 2 times a year. In the end, the team stays as a .500 team.

So, when they started playing well and got back to .500 and the 8th spot, I knew they'd start losing again. And the past 3 games show that they've gotten back to their inconsistent ways.

Your analysis going back to his Knicks tenure was pretty spot on. His teams take on the identity of the style of play and it gets illustrated through their W-L streaks. His teams have very high high's and very high lows, 7 game win streaks proceeding 6 game losing streaks. I don't want to search for my post where I tallied them up but the streaks he went on each of the last 3 years in both directions was ridiculous.

John Walls Era
03-30-2013, 10:23 PM
Houston has it. Theres only one spot left.

jimm120
03-30-2013, 10:37 PM
Houston has it. Theres only one spot left.
I put it in because hey, you never know. Houston seems to have it locked in but they ARE young and partially inconsistent sometimes. They might end up losing 6 of their final games, which could hurt them. But yeah, seems they're in.

Your analysis going back to his Knicks tenure was pretty spot on. His teams take on the identity of the style of play and it gets illustrated through their W-L streaks. His teams have very high high's and very high lows, 7 game win streaks proceeding 6 game losing streaks. I don't want to search for my post where I tallied them up but the streaks he went on each of the last 3 years in both directions was ridiculous.

Oh, I remember...

I remember at least 2010-11 season, in which it was

3-8 to start
13-1 run
12-17 before the Melo trade
then a .500 record with Melo/Amare/Billups (and that took a 7 game win streak towards the end to do get to .500).

And last year...There was the Linsanity run to get us to a respectable level but once Linsanity was over, we were losing YET AGAIN. Took getting Dantoni fired for us to play well with a good coach (18-5 record to end it with Woodson, and we were still "only" 2.5 ahead of 8th place I think).

c.c.
03-30-2013, 10:42 PM
I wanna see Houston in for sure of course in the 7th or 6th spot. Dallas or Utah in the 8th seed

Blitzbolt
03-30-2013, 10:44 PM
Houston:Lots of firepower it should help them get in.
Dallas:They have lots vets who will get them in.

Lakers:to much drama so I don't see them getting in.
Utah:Solid team but they need a few more weapons.

seikou8
03-30-2013, 10:47 PM
houston and utah

jimm120
03-30-2013, 10:56 PM
Houston:Lots of firepower it should help them get in.
Dallas:They have lots vets who will get them in.

Lakers:to much drama so I don't see them getting in.
Utah:Solid team but they need a few more weapons.

Kinda the perfect description I was looking for Utah. Its an ok team it just doesn't seem as if they're "there yet". That is why I can see them missing the playoffs. But for now, they hold the #8 seed.

DallasTrilla23
03-31-2013, 01:38 AM
I think Houston is gonna take the 7th spot unless they choke at the end like last year.

I'm saying dallas takes the last spot but I'm bias